Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
LeahFaye
08-08-2009, 08:02 PM

Last night was my second live show (I also saw APC in '06). I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, but for me it's always a pleasure. I'm thankful that there was a Cinci show with Lollapalooza right around the corner. Maynard did kind of hang out in the back but hey, it's not like his job's easy. the rest of the band tore it up. Danny did some things that I had to see to believe. I nearly got a drumstick when a security guard nabbed it he held it above my head and the guy behind me got it. Speaking of security, there was one guy who kept standing on the barricade directly in front of me scoping out smokers and would be photographers. Dude, I paid $100 to see my favorite band, not your dumb ass.

The set was similar to the US Bank Arena show ('07) with a some variations: Flood and Aenima (which were both amazing). Also, I loved that Maynard was wearing a Puscifer shirt (good advertising for a great band) .

Something else worth noting: during an instrumental break, I noticed Maynard was scanning the crowd (I was in the very front at this point). It seemed like he was looking around at the people and very subtly he flicked the devil horns at people and waited to see if they were paying attention and if theywould do it back. I don't know if he was looking at me when he did this because of his shades, but I like to think so...

Can't wait til next time. I would love to hear Bottom, H., or most of all a version of Pushit like the one on Salival. One can hope...
Old 08-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08.07.09 - Cincinnati, OH @ PNC Pavillion

Last night was my second live show (I also saw APC in '06). I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, but for me it's always a pleasure. I'm thankful that there was a Cinci show with Lollapalooza right around the corner. Maynard did kind of hang out in the back but hey, it's not like his job's easy. the rest of the band tore it up. Danny did some things that I had to see to believe. I nearly got a drumstick when a security guard nabbed it he held it above my head and the guy behind me got it. Speaking of security, there was one guy who kept standing on the barricade directly in front of me scoping out smokers and would be photographers. Dude, I paid $100 to see my favorite band, not your dumb ass.

The set was similar to the US Bank Arena show ('07) with a some variations: Flood and Aenima (which were both amazing). Also, I loved that Maynard was wearing a Puscifer shirt (good advertising for a great band) .

Something else worth noting: during an instrumental break, I noticed Maynard was scanning the crowd (I was in the very front at this point). It seemed like he was looking around at the people and very subtly he flicked the devil horns at people and waited to see if they were paying attention and if theywould do it back. I don't know if he was looking at me when he did this because of his shades, but I like to think so...

Can't wait til next time. I would love to hear Bottom, H., or most of all a version of Pushit like the one on Salival. One can hope...
08-08-2009, 08:31 PM

First, I would like to say that I don't understand all of the criticism from these posts. This was my first Tool concert and the band seemed spot-on to me including Maynard. At first, I was concerned about how Maynard was going to sound considering that I read some of the reviews prior to this show and Tweak Bird's vocals kind of sucked. I couldn't make out any of their lyrics. Then, when Maynard sung the first words of Jambi, I was completely relieved. From my seats (section 204 row e seat 22, pretty much a little left of center), the music sounded as if I were listening to music that was recorded in a studio. I absolutely loved every bit of the music and the art, lights, and lasers made this an unforgettable experience. I'd also venture to say that nearly everyone else around me felt the same way considering they were all screaming one more song even after Maynard left the stage. My favorite songs of the night were definitely Jambi (the burning sun background and the lights that lit up the crowd when Maynard sang "shine on forever shine on benevolent su(o)n" were incredible) and 46 & 2 just because I LOVE that f*cking song.

For those of you who are complaining about how the setlist has been the same over this tour, seriously get over yourself. The band does not travel the country to play to the same group of fans each and every night. Do you really expect that they are going to change things up just for that small minority? They put together a kickass show and travel all over the US and Canada to give EVERYONE a chance to see them play and, to be honest, I would pay another $140 a ticket to see the exact same show again.

As for complaints about how long they played, I guess they could have thrown in a couple more songs like Eulogy, Sober, or even Jerk Off. Still, they played for a little over 2 hours which satisfied me.

I'd like to thank them for all of their music and for a great live experience. I hope that Maynard doesn't get too side tracked with puscifer and that the guys get another album out realisitically in the next 3 years.

Last edited by jtf456; 08-08-2009 at 08:43 PM..
Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

First, I would like to say that I don't understand all of the criticism from these posts. This was my first Tool concert and the band seemed spot-on to me including Maynard. At first, I was concerned about how Maynard was going to sound considering that I read some of the reviews prior to this show and Tweak Bird's vocals kind of sucked. I couldn't make out any of their lyrics. Then, when Maynard sung the first words of Jambi, I was completely relieved. From my seats (section 204 row e seat 22, pretty much a little left of center), the music sounded as if I were listening to music that was recorded in a studio. I absolutely loved every bit of the music and the art, lights, and lasers made this an unforgettable experience. I'd also venture to say that nearly everyone else around me felt the same way considering they were all screaming one more song even after Maynard left the stage. My favorite songs of the night were definitely Jambi (the burning sun background and the lights that lit up the crowd when Maynard sang "shine on forever shine on benevolent su(o)n" were incredible) and 46 & 2 just because I LOVE that f*cking song.

For those of you who are complaining about how the setlist has been the same over this tour, seriously get over yourself. The band does not travel the country to play to the same group of fans each and every night. Do you really expect that they are going to change things up just for that small minority? They put together a kickass show and travel all over the US and Canada to give EVERYONE a chance to see them play and, to be honest, I would pay another $140 a ticket to see the exact same show again.

As for complaints about how long they played, I guess they could have thrown in a couple more songs like Eulogy, Sober, or even Jerk Off. Still, they played for a little over 2 hours which satisfied me.

I'd like to thank them for all of their music and for a great live experience. I hope that Maynard doesn't get too side tracked with puscifer and that the guys get another album out realisitically in the next 3 years.

Last edited by jtf456; 08-08-2009 at 08:43 PM..
OFFLINE |  
hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
08-08-2009, 09:07 PM

just got back from OH...after a 19 hour bus ride.

i have a couple words

Holy Fucking Shit...the show was insane. more to come.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #43
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

just got back from OH...after a 19 hour bus ride.

i have a couple words

Holy Fucking Shit...the show was insane. more to come.
08-08-2009, 09:41 PM

solid performance. flood, lateralus, and jambi were my personal favorites. this show really made me want a new album.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #44
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 122

solid performance. flood, lateralus, and jambi were my personal favorites. this show really made me want a new album.
08-08-2009, 09:49 PM

The good. It was TOOL. Tweakbird was okay, you couldn't get a real sense of the vocals, but I was intrigued by them being a 2 man group.

The bad. I agree with the opinion that Maynard seemed a little removed. This was my first live event for them and I kept waiting for this MJK persona that I keep hearing about to show. Part of why I go to concerts is to get that experience you can't get from buying a CD. I've heard so many road stories during concerts - it's great.

The Ugly. There was very little variation from the way they played the songs on their CD's. I didn't get much more out of it than that. I absolutely love it when they cover something from another band. It really lets you know what influenced them.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

The good. It was TOOL. Tweakbird was okay, you couldn't get a real sense of the vocals, but I was intrigued by them being a 2 man group.

The bad. I agree with the opinion that Maynard seemed a little removed. This was my first live event for them and I kept waiting for this MJK persona that I keep hearing about to show. Part of why I go to concerts is to get that experience you can't get from buying a CD. I've heard so many road stories during concerts - it's great.

The Ugly. There was very little variation from the way they played the songs on their CD's. I didn't get much more out of it than that. I absolutely love it when they cover something from another band. It really lets you know what influenced them.
OFFLINE |  
chefjennkcc
08-08-2009, 10:15 PM

This was my 14th TOOL show... and although I knew exactly what the set list would be before I arrived, I still thought it was a GREAT performance.. unlike another person reported, I felt the crowd was TOTALLY stoked about their performance, and sang along with every word. I am an old school TOOL fan. No matter what they play, I will always feel like it is a privilege to be able to see them perform. They are musical geniuses and will always be my favorite. I will be living off the high from this show, and anxiously awaiting the next. Thank you TOOL for the wonderful evening....
Old 08-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #46
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 20

This was my 14th TOOL show... and although I knew exactly what the set list would be before I arrived, I still thought it was a GREAT performance.. unlike another person reported, I felt the crowd was TOTALLY stoked about their performance, and sang along with every word. I am an old school TOOL fan. No matter what they play, I will always feel like it is a privilege to be able to see them perform. They are musical geniuses and will always be my favorite. I will be living off the high from this show, and anxiously awaiting the next. Thank you TOOL for the wonderful evening....
08-09-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsciousAndFREE View Post
it was adam jones in the chicken costume
Justin was the guy in the mask chasing him
JUST TO CLEAR THAT UP FOR ALL OF YOU.
actually adam was the one in the werewolf mask throwing packing peanuts into the fan and justin was wearing like a troll mask chasing the tweakbird chicken around...whom i believe was the guitar tech. also two guys set up a tableon the right, also wearing maks, with a bucket of stellas and poured drinks for everyone. oh and just was holding a giant wrench when he was chasing the bird around stage.i think it had some sort of meaningless meaning behind it. you know, beating up the 'tweabird with huge tool./
/
anways one interesting thing, justin came up and barrowed my lighter about 20 minutes after the show lol. i thought that was carzy.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsciousAndFREE View Post
it was adam jones in the chicken costume
Justin was the guy in the mask chasing him
JUST TO CLEAR THAT UP FOR ALL OF YOU.
actually adam was the one in the werewolf mask throwing packing peanuts into the fan and justin was wearing like a troll mask chasing the tweakbird chicken around...whom i believe was the guitar tech. also two guys set up a tableon the right, also wearing maks, with a bucket of stellas and poured drinks for everyone. oh and just was holding a giant wrench when he was chasing the bird around stage.i think it had some sort of meaningless meaning behind it. you know, beating up the 'tweabird with huge tool./
/
anways one interesting thing, justin came up and barrowed my lighter about 20 minutes after the show lol. i thought that was carzy.
08-09-2009, 02:48 AM

I, personally, had a magical night.

To those who are criticizing Maynard's vocals, you have to remember that they are a bunch of middle aged men. Give the guy some slack. While, sure, he doesn't sound like he did 10 years ago, the little man's still got it.

Like others have posted, I was in section 100 and the vocal levels were very low. It bothered me for a little while but then I realized that it was a unique way to experience Tool. It reminded me that I wasn't here to see Maynard show--I can't wait to experience Puscifer for that-- but I was here to see the band Tool which is the sum of four equally weighed parts. I was able to hear Maynard's vocal melodies and his accompanying emotion but was mostly unable to make out what he was saying. This resulted in a new experience for me: hearing Tool as one entity without focusing on words as I have done at past Tool shows. This resulted in a powerfully overwhelming sound produced by each band member contributing to a strong unified sound. I know the words. I can pop in any of their albums and hear a crystal clear vocal performance any time I want and sing along. For me, this new experience allowed me to bask in the sound of Tool in a completely new and refreshing way.

As for the way Maynard acted at the show: I felt a lot of love coming from him. It was really nice to be welcomed home and at home I felt. Maynard did his little Maynard dances showing that he *was* into it.

One of the highlights for me that pleasantly surprised me was Flood. Rosetta Stoned is always awesome live, and there's not much to say about Stinkfist other than holy fucking shit. Lateralus is an important song for me, personally, and is always the climax of the show for me. I felt Tweek Bird's contrubition to Lateralus was a great addition! Loves me a theremin!

And, I totally heard teases of Prison Sex and 10,000 days.

I also felt a lot of love from Justin, Danny, and Adam after the show. They seemed generally grateful for us as we for them. The lack of Maynard's presence was no big surprise. He's a peculiar guy. That's just not his style. No biggie.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:48 AM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

I, personally, had a magical night.

To those who are criticizing Maynard's vocals, you have to remember that they are a bunch of middle aged men. Give the guy some slack. While, sure, he doesn't sound like he did 10 years ago, the little man's still got it.

Like others have posted, I was in section 100 and the vocal levels were very low. It bothered me for a little while but then I realized that it was a unique way to experience Tool. It reminded me that I wasn't here to see Maynard show--I can't wait to experience Puscifer for that-- but I was here to see the band Tool which is the sum of four equally weighed parts. I was able to hear Maynard's vocal melodies and his accompanying emotion but was mostly unable to make out what he was saying. This resulted in a new experience for me: hearing Tool as one entity without focusing on words as I have done at past Tool shows. This resulted in a powerfully overwhelming sound produced by each band member contributing to a strong unified sound. I know the words. I can pop in any of their albums and hear a crystal clear vocal performance any time I want and sing along. For me, this new experience allowed me to bask in the sound of Tool in a completely new and refreshing way.

As for the way Maynard acted at the show: I felt a lot of love coming from him. It was really nice to be welcomed home and at home I felt. Maynard did his little Maynard dances showing that he *was* into it.

One of the highlights for me that pleasantly surprised me was Flood. Rosetta Stoned is always awesome live, and there's not much to say about Stinkfist other than holy fucking shit. Lateralus is an important song for me, personally, and is always the climax of the show for me. I felt Tweek Bird's contrubition to Lateralus was a great addition! Loves me a theremin!

And, I totally heard teases of Prison Sex and 10,000 days.

I also felt a lot of love from Justin, Danny, and Adam after the show. They seemed generally grateful for us as we for them. The lack of Maynard's presence was no big surprise. He's a peculiar guy. That's just not his style. No biggie.
OFFLINE |  
reflection1mind's Avatar reflection1mind
08-09-2009, 05:53 AM

Did anyone score one of the Tour shirts with the band's pic on the back, that want to get rid of or trade for? Looking for an XL
Old 08-09-2009, 05:53 AM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

Did anyone score one of the Tour shirts with the band's pic on the back, that want to get rid of or trade for? Looking for an XL
OFFLINE |  
eywillis15
08-09-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestal View Post
I had what I thought was the best seat in the house. First row dead center section 101. The sound was terrible. I could hardly hear Maynard at all. I brought my friend with me who is a Tool virgin. She was determined to get up to speed with their music, listening intently and a lot--with lyrics, all of their music, then, specifically their setlist once I saw what it was going to be. Even though she had listened to Anema for weeks prior to the show, because it was not on the "setlist" mix cd I made for her (as I did not expect it to be played) the sound was so bad, she did not even recognize the song.
Thanks Vestal. I was hoping to get someone's opinion who had been to prior shows. My complaints on the audio and vocal mix are nothing against the band. They had a lot of energy and I'm sure that they were playing amazingly, I just couldn't make it out from my seat. I was expecting pristine audio and got far from it. It was my first time at PNC Pavilion so I wanted to see if the bad sound was because of the venue; sounds like it is.

Also, it wasn't just muddy vocals from my seat. There was a guitar solo where I couldn't even hear the guitar other than the higher notes. Not very happy with PNC Pavilion...
Old 08-09-2009, 06:16 AM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestal View Post
I had what I thought was the best seat in the house. First row dead center section 101. The sound was terrible. I could hardly hear Maynard at all. I brought my friend with me who is a Tool virgin. She was determined to get up to speed with their music, listening intently and a lot--with lyrics, all of their music, then, specifically their setlist once I saw what it was going to be. Even though she had listened to Anema for weeks prior to the show, because it was not on the "setlist" mix cd I made for her (as I did not expect it to be played) the sound was so bad, she did not even recognize the song.
Thanks Vestal. I was hoping to get someone's opinion who had been to prior shows. My complaints on the audio and vocal mix are nothing against the band. They had a lot of energy and I'm sure that they were playing amazingly, I just couldn't make it out from my seat. I was expecting pristine audio and got far from it. It was my first time at PNC Pavilion so I wanted to see if the bad sound was because of the venue; sounds like it is.

Also, it wasn't just muddy vocals from my seat. There was a guitar solo where I couldn't even hear the guitar other than the higher notes. Not very happy with PNC Pavilion...
OFFLINE |  
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
08-09-2009, 07:59 AM

Awesome concert. My fifth time seeing them. I was in the pit and thought it sounded great. Maynard is always low in the mix like he's always been when i've seen them.I was right in front of Danny and Justin, Danny seemed really into the oerformance. Justin was getting drunk as usual. I held up my joint and pointed towards him and he gave me a nod and thumbs up. It was great hearing Flood. I personally don't like Jambi as an opener...I think something like Sober would be a better fit. Tweak Bird was better than what I was expecting. I met some dude that posts here...so if youre reading this..hope you enjoyed the autographed poster. Good night indeed. Cant wait to see them again when the new album drops.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #51
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

Awesome concert. My fifth time seeing them. I was in the pit and thought it sounded great. Maynard is always low in the mix like he's always been when i've seen them.I was right in front of Danny and Justin, Danny seemed really into the oerformance. Justin was getting drunk as usual. I held up my joint and pointed towards him and he gave me a nod and thumbs up. It was great hearing Flood. I personally don't like Jambi as an opener...I think something like Sober would be a better fit. Tweak Bird was better than what I was expecting. I met some dude that posts here...so if youre reading this..hope you enjoyed the autographed poster. Good night indeed. Cant wait to see them again when the new album drops.
JCRaven
08-09-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedabused View Post
Section 200 row I ?
No, 202 row C.

But from the comments, it sounded like you could have been the guy behind me.

Weird coincidence, huh?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedabused View Post
Section 200 row I ?
No, 202 row C.

But from the comments, it sounded like you could have been the guy behind me.

Weird coincidence, huh?
OFFLINE |  
YUBitchin
08-09-2009, 09:37 AM

There are no sharks in the Ohio River

I saw the Rolling Stones on a mini-tour no album to promote.
I saw The Who twice and they hadn't released an album in over 10 years then. I've seen CSN and DMB between albums and on and on.

So they should only tour to sell an album and they are sell outs if they tour without an album? I'm confused, so are the sharks.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #53
Level 2 - Poster

There are no sharks in the Ohio River

I saw the Rolling Stones on a mini-tour no album to promote.
I saw The Who twice and they hadn't released an album in over 10 years then. I've seen CSN and DMB between albums and on and on.

So they should only tour to sell an album and they are sell outs if they tour without an album? I'm confused, so are the sharks.
OFFLINE |  
hughes.1265
08-09-2009, 10:35 AM

the sickest band in the world; ive seen tool 12 times & with the exception of bonnaroo 07', this was by far the best show ever.All the reviews on maynard's voice can go blow. your seats must of sucked; i was in the pit about 8 people back on adam and maynard's side and the sound was phenominal as was maynard's voice. i'm surprised that everyone that holds on to his every little word between songs dosent acknowledge when he takes a step back with his arm on his side and his foot/boot tip is pointing up as he leans on his heal to assess the sound situation(they do have monitors). i'm just being sarcastic of course and kinda poking fun at his critic's for over-anaylising him all of the time.YOU ARE ALL SEPARATING YOUR BODY'S FROM YOUR MIND'S!!! back to the show-danny was amazzing and stared at me the entire length of the sick tobla part of rosseta; bobbing his head to the poly-beat flawlessley. adam also on point; not taking as much of a back role as he used to; he stood out quite often absorbing the crowd. justin i think was in to the show the most though. i heard all kinds of ad-lib improvs out of him that may take tool into a new dirrection in new albums. the wings/10,000 teaser and prison-sex teaser's were great but we knew the set-list weeks ago. the lights, back drop and new visuals were off the hook. the gigantic see-thru human torso thAT spiralled into what i percieved as an alien on stage was super sik.Tweak bird was amazing as well.i normally dont like opening bands (im there to see the headliner)but as i stood outside the place drinking my $3.50 fruit punch waiting for something i ingested to take effect i was drawn to the floor with their music. i knew instantly that it was tool and co. who came out with foam and peanuts, tweak bird is a lucky band to have gotten to open for such an entity like tool.the stuff they performed during lateralus (some weird clarinet and drums was awesome.i didnt think anything could top MORRELO'S performance at bonnarro but this exceeded my expectations.only downside was i wished they would of played all nightlong,but we can only wish.tool is the pink floyd of our time and then some. i will be at every show they do in my area for the rest of my life, thanks for the healing guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what in the hell is the new alien stuff before rosseta???

Last edited by hughes.1265; 08-09-2009 at 10:54 AM..
Old 08-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

the sickest band in the world; ive seen tool 12 times & with the exception of bonnaroo 07', this was by far the best show ever.All the reviews on maynard's voice can go blow. your seats must of sucked; i was in the pit about 8 people back on adam and maynard's side and the sound was phenominal as was maynard's voice. i'm surprised that everyone that holds on to his every little word between songs dosent acknowledge when he takes a step back with his arm on his side and his foot/boot tip is pointing up as he leans on his heal to assess the sound situation(they do have monitors). i'm just being sarcastic of course and kinda poking fun at his critic's for over-anaylising him all of the time.YOU ARE ALL SEPARATING YOUR BODY'S FROM YOUR MIND'S!!! back to the show-danny was amazzing and stared at me the entire length of the sick tobla part of rosseta; bobbing his head to the poly-beat flawlessley. adam also on point; not taking as much of a back role as he used to; he stood out quite often absorbing the crowd. justin i think was in to the show the most though. i heard all kinds of ad-lib improvs out of him that may take tool into a new dirrection in new albums. the wings/10,000 teaser and prison-sex teaser's were great but we knew the set-list weeks ago. the lights, back drop and new visuals were off the hook. the gigantic see-thru human torso thAT spiralled into what i percieved as an alien on stage was super sik.Tweak bird was amazing as well.i normally dont like opening bands (im there to see the headliner)but as i stood outside the place drinking my $3.50 fruit punch waiting for something i ingested to take effect i was drawn to the floor with their music. i knew instantly that it was tool and co. who came out with foam and peanuts, tweak bird is a lucky band to have gotten to open for such an entity like tool.the stuff they performed during lateralus (some weird clarinet and drums was awesome.i didnt think anything could top MORRELO'S performance at bonnarro but this exceeded my expectations.only downside was i wished they would of played all nightlong,but we can only wish.tool is the pink floyd of our time and then some. i will be at every show they do in my area for the rest of my life, thanks for the healing guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what in the hell is the new alien stuff before rosseta???

Last edited by hughes.1265; 08-09-2009 at 10:54 AM..
OFFLINE |  
bizeekizay
08-09-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apctoolfan2268 View Post
Anyone who has seen TOOL multiple times, have you ever NOT felt "HOLY SHIT" at the end of the show? Honestly, remember that feeling? I thought maybe perhaps being my 5th show that I was jaded...

...See you on the next tour, yes I'll be there, because I believe that the next time I walk out of a TOOL show I'll say, "HOLY SHIT"
Agreed with you on this. I've always been left standing there when the lights come on thinking to myself, "HOLY SHIT, WHAT JUST HAPPENED?" But this time, though I still had the HOLY SHIT thought, it was due to my ears being completely blown out. Now I was in the pit about 10-15 ft in front of Justin, and Jesus Christ [why don't ya come save my life now] it was by far the loudest show of any kind I've ever been to. By about halfway through the show, I could barely make out anything besides the drums and bass. But even though my ears were destroyed I still noticed Maynard not putting much into it, and during a few songs setting up some effects to carry his 'screams'. During Vicarious, flat out not even singing a couple lines early in the song and [like he usually does] not singing the last couple lines of screams and pointing the mic out into the crowd.

I'm trying to keep this as positive as possible, as this was a Tool show, and no matter what I feel about a show, I'll ALWAYS come back for more. Besides my ears being raped, I still can't believe how close we were to the band. The venue was surprisingly small for a Tool show. So I'm sure everyone had a great seat/view.

The system/speakers for the bass was incredible, I don't know if anyone else was able to see them, but where the security guards are, there were at least a half dozen 5 ft tall speakers that I believe just kicked out the bass. And being about 5 ft from those is an intense feeling. Especially during some of the iinterludes, where Danny would be fucking around with his computers making the ambient noises, then all of a sudden a huge "cloud" of bass comes in and nearly knocks you on your ass.

I have a question, cause I really don't think I imagined it, but haven't read anything on here about it... did anyone hear Justin play the guitar riff from Voodoo Child before a song, I think either Aenema or Vicarious during the interlude.

Anywho, the Tweakbird skit was high;ly amusing. Justin and Adam were part of it, Adam had a skull mask on, and was one of the people filling the cups with beer. And Justin was the guy with the huge wrench chasing the "Tweakbird" around stage, eventually beheading it. Adam threw out some bottles of water and my friend ended up catching one, and it was a Fiji bottle filled with pink 'juice' that tasted like ball sweat to be honest... But if it was Tool's ball sweat, I'm glad I drank it, haha.

This was my least favorite show aurally, but favorite when it came to being in the pit and everything else. My ears are still ringing two days later, but it's a reminder of how fucking close we were to the greatest band of all time.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #55
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by apctoolfan2268 View Post
Anyone who has seen TOOL multiple times, have you ever NOT felt "HOLY SHIT" at the end of the show? Honestly, remember that feeling? I thought maybe perhaps being my 5th show that I was jaded...

...See you on the next tour, yes I'll be there, because I believe that the next time I walk out of a TOOL show I'll say, "HOLY SHIT"
Agreed with you on this. I've always been left standing there when the lights come on thinking to myself, "HOLY SHIT, WHAT JUST HAPPENED?" But this time, though I still had the HOLY SHIT thought, it was due to my ears being completely blown out. Now I was in the pit about 10-15 ft in front of Justin, and Jesus Christ [why don't ya come save my life now] it was by far the loudest show of any kind I've ever been to. By about halfway through the show, I could barely make out anything besides the drums and bass. But even though my ears were destroyed I still noticed Maynard not putting much into it, and during a few songs setting up some effects to carry his 'screams'. During Vicarious, flat out not even singing a couple lines early in the song and [like he usually does] not singing the last couple lines of screams and pointing the mic out into the crowd.

I'm trying to keep this as positive as possible, as this was a Tool show, and no matter what I feel about a show, I'll ALWAYS come back for more. Besides my ears being raped, I still can't believe how close we were to the band. The venue was surprisingly small for a Tool show. So I'm sure everyone had a great seat/view.

The system/speakers for the bass was incredible, I don't know if anyone else was able to see them, but where the security guards are, there were at least a half dozen 5 ft tall speakers that I believe just kicked out the bass. And being about 5 ft from those is an intense feeling. Especially during some of the iinterludes, where Danny would be fucking around with his computers making the ambient noises, then all of a sudden a huge "cloud" of bass comes in and nearly knocks you on your ass.

I have a question, cause I really don't think I imagined it, but haven't read anything on here about it... did anyone hear Justin play the guitar riff from Voodoo Child before a song, I think either Aenema or Vicarious during the interlude.

Anywho, the Tweakbird skit was high;ly amusing. Justin and Adam were part of it, Adam had a skull mask on, and was one of the people filling the cups with beer. And Justin was the guy with the huge wrench chasing the "Tweakbird" around stage, eventually beheading it. Adam threw out some bottles of water and my friend ended up catching one, and it was a Fiji bottle filled with pink 'juice' that tasted like ball sweat to be honest... But if it was Tool's ball sweat, I'm glad I drank it, haha.

This was my least favorite show aurally, but favorite when it came to being in the pit and everything else. My ears are still ringing two days later, but it's a reminder of how fucking close we were to the greatest band of all time.
OFFLINE |  
ufopancakes's Avatar ufopancakes
08-09-2009, 01:41 PM

This show was far better than Lollapalooza the next day. The intamacy was more fitting and the band was much more "on it".

I think during lost keys that was Jordan Maxwell talking... I'm not sure. But I'm fairly sure they did show video footage of him. Any thoughts?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #56
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1

This show was far better than Lollapalooza the next day. The intamacy was more fitting and the band was much more "on it".

I think during lost keys that was Jordan Maxwell talking... I'm not sure. But I'm fairly sure they did show video footage of him. Any thoughts?
08-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes.1265 View Post

I am in COMPLETE AGREEMENT. We were in the middle of the upper section. perfect view. the mix was great. the band was THUNDEROUS. My intense LSD trip snuck in right around the end of 46 and 2. I've seen Tool around 13 times dating back to Spring '97. While I can still think of a couple better Tool shows I've been to, this recent one blew any of the 5 times that I saw 10,000 Days tour out of the water.

great fucking job guys, cant wait for the new album.

WHEN IS ADAM JONES GOING TO MAKE HIS FEATURE FILM DEBUT WITH TOOL'S NEW ALBUM BEING THE SOUNDTRACK????? : )
Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #57
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

I am in COMPLETE AGREEMENT. We were in the middle of the upper section. perfect view. the mix was great. the band was THUNDEROUS. My intense LSD trip snuck in right around the end of 46 and 2. I've seen Tool around 13 times dating back to Spring '97. While I can still think of a couple better Tool shows I've been to, this recent one blew any of the 5 times that I saw 10,000 Days tour out of the water.

great fucking job guys, cant wait for the new album.

WHEN IS ADAM JONES GOING TO MAKE HIS FEATURE FILM DEBUT WITH TOOL'S NEW ALBUM BEING THE SOUNDTRACK????? : )
OFFLINE |  
Breadman94's Avatar Breadman94
08-09-2009, 02:41 PM

This was my first concert, and I'm glad it was Tool. Aside from being my favorite band, they give you more than just a "Concert". It's a full fledged assault on your senses. I was more than satisfied. Yes, Maynard was a drowned out, but just seeing him there at the mic made me cringe. His voice blended in more as an instrument I thought.

I was so tempted to but a signed poster, but then I wouldn't have enough for a shirt. I ended up with a poster and the tongue shirt. I can't go the merch booth with a credit card... ever. I would spend way too much.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first concert, and I'm glad it was Tool. Aside from being my favorite band, they give you more than just a "Concert". It's a full fledged assault on your senses. I was more than satisfied. Yes, Maynard was a drowned out, but just seeing him there at the mic made me cringe. His voice blended in more as an instrument I thought.

I was so tempted to but a signed poster, but then I wouldn't have enough for a shirt. I ended up with a poster and the tongue shirt. I can't go the merch booth with a credit card... ever. I would spend way too much.
OFFLINE |  
vestal
08-09-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizeekizay View Post
it was a Fiji bottle filled with pink 'juice' that tasted like ball sweat to be honest... But if it was Tool's ball sweat, I'm glad I drank it, haha.
I don't think you are alone in this. We all know the guys are cool and smart and talented and creative and great but no one is saying how HOT they all are. And Maynard has such a unique stage presence, without hardly moving at all, he blows away all these "rock stars" who dance all over the stage, looking like little girls. From a female perspective, the way Maynard moves makes me nutz! OMG! My imagination.......oh jeeezzzz......

And given how the guys around me were acting, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are more than a few of them who feel the same. He is one hot tamale! hahahaha!
Old 08-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #59
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
it was a Fiji bottle filled with pink 'juice' that tasted like ball sweat to be honest... But if it was Tool's ball sweat, I'm glad I drank it, haha.
I don't think you are alone in this. We all know the guys are cool and smart and talented and creative and great but no one is saying how HOT they all are. And Maynard has such a unique stage presence, without hardly moving at all, he blows away all these "rock stars" who dance all over the stage, looking like little girls. From a female perspective, the way Maynard moves makes me nutz! OMG! My imagination.......oh jeeezzzz......

And given how the guys around me were acting, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are more than a few of them who feel the same. He is one hot tamale! hahahaha!
OFFLINE |  
Breadman94's Avatar Breadman94
08-09-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
what in the hell is the new alien stuff before rosseta???
Tool's crew went out to Route 66 and found a bunch of cool stuff for the background video if I'm not mistaken. Unless you mean the spinning alligator/alien thing. Then I have no clue.

The route 66 thing is in the newsletter for last month I believe, on their site.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #60
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
what in the hell is the new alien stuff before rosseta???
Tool's crew went out to Route 66 and found a bunch of cool stuff for the background video if I'm not mistaken. Unless you mean the spinning alligator/alien thing. Then I have no clue.

The route 66 thing is in the newsletter for last month I believe, on their site.
OFFLINE |  
millermt's Avatar millermt
08-09-2009, 06:18 PM

This was my 15th show. The venue was awesome. The people I met were all awesome. The chick in the sound booth who gave me a hard time but ultimately gave me a little tease with her tits and then gave me the setlist was awesome. Danny, Adam and Justin were awesome. Maynard was not awesome. He was just okay, and that made what promised to be a great show only mediocre. He definitely was not completely into this show. Sang pretty much the bare minimum. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope the guys take some time off before writing the next album and doing the next tour because maybe by then Maynard will be interested.
12-Aug-02 Trenton, NJ | 13-Aug-02 NYC | 29-Oct-02 PHL | 17-May-06 PHL | 19-May-06 NYC | 20-May-06 NYC | 28-Sep-06 Camden, NJ | 02-Oct-06 Wilkes-Barre, PA | 05-Oct-06 Hartford, CT | 06-Oct-06 East Rutherford, NJ | 07-Oct-06 Long Island, NY | 09-Jun-07 Atlantic City, NJ | 23-Jun-07 Fort Wayne, IN | 29-Jun-07 Cincinnati, OH | 07-Aug-09 Cincinnati, OH | 16-Jul-10 Las Vegas, NV | 15-Mar-14 Las Vegas, NV | 22-Jan-16 STL | 23-Jan-16 Nashville, TN | 29-Oct-16 NOLA | 08-Jun-17 Rosemont, IL | 20-May-18 Columbus, OH | 08-May-19 Louisville, KY | 13-May-19 STL | 04-Jun-19 Prague | 05-Jun-19 Vienna | 15-Oct-19 DEN | 16-Oct-19 DEN | 31-Oct-19 MKE | 11-Nov-19 Toronto | 12-Nov-19 Toronto | 24-Nov-19 Raleigh, NC | 18-Jan-20 Glendale, AZ | 21-Jan-20 ATX | 29-Jan-20 Nashville, TN
Old 08-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #61
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

This was my 15th show. The venue was awesome. The people I met were all awesome. The chick in the sound booth who gave me a hard time but ultimately gave me a little tease with her tits and then gave me the setlist was awesome. Danny, Adam and Justin were awesome. Maynard was not awesome. He was just okay, and that made what promised to be a great show only mediocre. He definitely was not completely into this show. Sang pretty much the bare minimum. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope the guys take some time off before writing the next album and doing the next tour because maybe by then Maynard will be interested.
12-Aug-02 Trenton, NJ | 13-Aug-02 NYC | 29-Oct-02 PHL | 17-May-06 PHL | 19-May-06 NYC | 20-May-06 NYC | 28-Sep-06 Camden, NJ | 02-Oct-06 Wilkes-Barre, PA | 05-Oct-06 Hartford, CT | 06-Oct-06 East Rutherford, NJ | 07-Oct-06 Long Island, NY | 09-Jun-07 Atlantic City, NJ | 23-Jun-07 Fort Wayne, IN | 29-Jun-07 Cincinnati, OH | 07-Aug-09 Cincinnati, OH | 16-Jul-10 Las Vegas, NV | 15-Mar-14 Las Vegas, NV | 22-Jan-16 STL | 23-Jan-16 Nashville, TN | 29-Oct-16 NOLA | 08-Jun-17 Rosemont, IL | 20-May-18 Columbus, OH | 08-May-19 Louisville, KY | 13-May-19 STL | 04-Jun-19 Prague | 05-Jun-19 Vienna | 15-Oct-19 DEN | 16-Oct-19 DEN | 31-Oct-19 MKE | 11-Nov-19 Toronto | 12-Nov-19 Toronto | 24-Nov-19 Raleigh, NC | 18-Jan-20 Glendale, AZ | 21-Jan-20 ATX | 29-Jan-20 Nashville, TN
OFFLINE |  
vestal
08-09-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millermt View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope the guys take some time off before writing the next album and doing the next tour because maybe by then Maynard will be interested.
I believe in the creative process and all but how much more time do they need to take off before writing the next album and doing the next tour? 10,000 Days was released in 2006 and the last time they toured was 2007. And it's not like they're not doing anything. They're just not doing Tool stuff. Seems like Tool is just not their priority and that's really really too bad as they are so monumentally talented working together.

What with Maynard not singing the hard parts live, the band playing almost the same set list for 2 tours, no talk of a new album and the last one having been released in 2006.......doesn't that bring one to begin to imagine the worst? I hope I am entirely wrong but the evidence suggests otherwise. They're not getting any younger and it's not going to get any easier.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by millermt View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope the guys take some time off before writing the next album and doing the next tour because maybe by then Maynard will be interested.
I believe in the creative process and all but how much more time do they need to take off before writing the next album and doing the next tour? 10,000 Days was released in 2006 and the last time they toured was 2007. And it's not like they're not doing anything. They're just not doing Tool stuff. Seems like Tool is just not their priority and that's really really too bad as they are so monumentally talented working together.

What with Maynard not singing the hard parts live, the band playing almost the same set list for 2 tours, no talk of a new album and the last one having been released in 2006.......doesn't that bring one to begin to imagine the worst? I hope I am entirely wrong but the evidence suggests otherwise. They're not getting any younger and it's not going to get any easier.
OFFLINE |  
aviguy100's Avatar aviguy100
08-10-2009, 06:01 AM

First I have to say that this is my first post ever... I typically don't take the time to express myself but I cannot stop thinking about my experience at this show. So many people feel the need to bitch about everything, something, anything because this is the information age and we can and others will hear us... I am not that kind of person. I remember the last time I saw Tool back in 2007 I was reading the reviews of shows and a good majority of them were negative: "Same set list", "Maynard doesn't move around like he used to," etc. I found that show to be one of the most incredible live music experiences of my life. Like I said, some people just love to bitch. So it didn't surprise me when I began to read the reviews of this tour prior to my experience and hear all the negativity; I expected it and dismissed it as the usual gripes. Unfortunately I found myself shockingly disappointed after leaving the PNC pavilion.
Overall my wife and I had a GREAT time. We drove 4 hours from the Cleveland area and got a hotel nearby, this was our anniversary present to ourselves. We were incredibly excited as it has been over two years since we last saw them and as our 7th Tool show we knew what to expect (top notch performances, amazing visuals, emotionally moving, and almost supernatural experience). Although Adam, Justin and Danny gave their all it did not seem to make up for the lack of Maynard's involvement in the overall output. See, what makes Tool so amazing is that they are more than just the sum of all parts. When each member gives 100% the result is what we have come to adore about the band... musical perfection and emotionally moving. I don't think it was that Maynard's vocal level (mic volume) was too low in the mix... sound board operators for bands like this know what they're doing. You can only turn up one's mic so loud before feedback occurs. The only logical explanation is that he simply was not singing very loud. Not once did I hear any considerable effort given to achieve the unmistakable vocal presence that is Maynard. And although, as I said, I believe the rest of the band gave their all the collective output was hollow sounding, empty. I kept expecting (hoping) that he just needed to get warmed up or feel the energy of the crowd (which by the way was an awesome crowd, no retards that I encountered and a great, respectful response) to get into it. It did not happen. Then after Vicarious, when all was said and done, the group goodbye was down a member. I'm not sure if anyone else saw it but it looked like (as soon as the song was over) Maynard walked right in front of Adam and was going to give him an exaggerated, perhaps spiteful high-five to which Adam did not reciprocate. Maynard then made a fidgety motion to Adam's hand holding his pick and then walked right off stage. This sealed the deal for me. I knew something wasn't right.
I'm not going to speculate why this happened, no one but the band and those close to them really knows. All I can think is that I understand if Maynard did not want to be there and/or do the tour... touring isn't always fun and games. But there are obviously a multitude of respectful, faithful Tool fans that paid a considerable amount of money to be there and expect/deserve the real Tool experience. If you're going to show up give it your all, please. How could you not feel the energy of the 1000's of fans looking to you, hungry for your emotional outpouring, and not feel compelled to deliver? In a way it reminds me of how Roger Waters began acting with Pink Floyd towards the end.
I hope I'm wrong. I hope that this is just a phase and that next time around the animosity is absent. For Christ's sake who are we going to turn to when Tool is no more?

I would like to say in closing that ultimately I had a good time and if it wasn't for seeing them at their best, knowing what they are capable of, it would not have affected me that much. Perhaps next time around... Also, thank you to Rynne who when I pointed her out to my wife very cordially engaged in a short conversation with my wife wanting to thank her for her photography of the band as well as asking to tell Danny he's the shit. Thank you Rynne!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

First I have to say that this is my first post ever... I typically don't take the time to express myself but I cannot stop thinking about my experience at this show. So many people feel the need to bitch about everything, something, anything because this is the information age and we can and others will hear us... I am not that kind of person. I remember the last time I saw Tool back in 2007 I was reading the reviews of shows and a good majority of them were negative: "Same set list", "Maynard doesn't move around like he used to," etc. I found that show to be one of the most incredible live music experiences of my life. Like I said, some people just love to bitch. So it didn't surprise me when I began to read the reviews of this tour prior to my experience and hear all the negativity; I expected it and dismissed it as the usual gripes. Unfortunately I found myself shockingly disappointed after leaving the PNC pavilion.
Overall my wife and I had a GREAT time. We drove 4 hours from the Cleveland area and got a hotel nearby, this was our anniversary present to ourselves. We were incredibly excited as it has been over two years since we last saw them and as our 7th Tool show we knew what to expect (top notch performances, amazing visuals, emotionally moving, and almost supernatural experience). Although Adam, Justin and Danny gave their all it did not seem to make up for the lack of Maynard's involvement in the overall output. See, what makes Tool so amazing is that they are more than just the sum of all parts. When each member gives 100% the result is what we have come to adore about the band... musical perfection and emotionally moving. I don't think it was that Maynard's vocal level (mic volume) was too low in the mix... sound board operators for bands like this know what they're doing. You can only turn up one's mic so loud before feedback occurs. The only logical explanation is that he simply was not singing very loud. Not once did I hear any considerable effort given to achieve the unmistakable vocal presence that is Maynard. And although, as I said, I believe the rest of the band gave their all the collective output was hollow sounding, empty. I kept expecting (hoping) that he just needed to get warmed up or feel the energy of the crowd (which by the way was an awesome crowd, no retards that I encountered and a great, respectful response) to get into it. It did not happen. Then after Vicarious, when all was said and done, the group goodbye was down a member. I'm not sure if anyone else saw it but it looked like (as soon as the song was over) Maynard walked right in front of Adam and was going to give him an exaggerated, perhaps spiteful high-five to which Adam did not reciprocate. Maynard then made a fidgety motion to Adam's hand holding his pick and then walked right off stage. This sealed the deal for me. I knew something wasn't right.
I'm not going to speculate why this happened, no one but the band and those close to them really knows. All I can think is that I understand if Maynard did not want to be there and/or do the tour... touring isn't always fun and games. But there are obviously a multitude of respectful, faithful Tool fans that paid a considerable amount of money to be there and expect/deserve the real Tool experience. If you're going to show up give it your all, please. How could you not feel the energy of the 1000's of fans looking to you, hungry for your emotional outpouring, and not feel compelled to deliver? In a way it reminds me of how Roger Waters began acting with Pink Floyd towards the end.
I hope I'm wrong. I hope that this is just a phase and that next time around the animosity is absent. For Christ's sake who are we going to turn to when Tool is no more?

I would like to say in closing that ultimately I had a good time and if it wasn't for seeing them at their best, knowing what they are capable of, it would not have affected me that much. Perhaps next time around... Also, thank you to Rynne who when I pointed her out to my wife very cordially engaged in a short conversation with my wife wanting to thank her for her photography of the band as well as asking to tell Danny he's the shit. Thank you Rynne!
OFFLINE |  
Christopher-GOBLIN's Avatar Christopher-GOBLIN
08-10-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
did anyone hear Justin play the guitar riff from Voodoo Child before a song, I think either Aenema or Vicarious during the interlude.
Yeah dude, I heard that, and I started going nuts (well, more nuts than I was already going) and it ended...everyone prolly thought I was crazy, but I heard it too man.

To anyone who thought this show sucked, you should have saw them in North Carolina. The Cincy show was 1,000 times better, at least. I thought Nard was into it, he actually sang, he looked at the crowd, moved around and got most of the words correct, 100% opposite of NC. The crowd knew that in NC too man, and the energy really fell off, but I felt like the energy stayed high the whole time in Cincy.

And dude, Tweakbird is cool....yeah, I yelled "tweak turd!" a bunch, because it was funny, but I thought that they rocked for primariliy 2 dudes.

I was one of the giants in the Pink Floyd shirt in the pit like 7 rows back from Justin. The people were great. Security tried to get this guy we were talking to/smoking up with for smoking some trees and I like...dove in front of the security gaurd to slow him down and kept yelling "security, security!". The security guy was like "dude, I am security. I'm right here". He didn't get that I was trying to block him and look out for people smoking, I guess. It felt like a scene out of The Matrix, like slow mo', but it probably looked like a monkey trying to fuck a security gaurd. Whatever though....the dude didn't get busted because of me....high 5's and fist knocks went on for at least a full minute afterwards. Very Rad. These were Tool Army kids though, so, I'm sure they're too important to read posts on Tool Navy. ;]

Fucking great show man, best Tool show I have seen out of my 4. Best time I have had at a Tool show too, one of the best times I have had at any show and I've seen a ton of live shows. I danced like a hippie...

All in all....WAY better than the show in NC, WAY, WAY better.....the set list was the same but the experience wasn't. It was so much better man, and I can't really explain why other than MayNARD actually sang.....great music, great people,....just awesome man......150% awesome.

Anyone notice Nard had on a Puscyfur shirt? Hmmm.....
Old 08-10-2009, 06:44 AM   #64
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
did anyone hear Justin play the guitar riff from Voodoo Child before a song, I think either Aenema or Vicarious during the interlude.
Yeah dude, I heard that, and I started going nuts (well, more nuts than I was already going) and it ended...everyone prolly thought I was crazy, but I heard it too man.

To anyone who thought this show sucked, you should have saw them in North Carolina. The Cincy show was 1,000 times better, at least. I thought Nard was into it, he actually sang, he looked at the crowd, moved around and got most of the words correct, 100% opposite of NC. The crowd knew that in NC too man, and the energy really fell off, but I felt like the energy stayed high the whole time in Cincy.

And dude, Tweakbird is cool....yeah, I yelled "tweak turd!" a bunch, because it was funny, but I thought that they rocked for primariliy 2 dudes.

I was one of the giants in the Pink Floyd shirt in the pit like 7 rows back from Justin. The people were great. Security tried to get this guy we were talking to/smoking up with for smoking some trees and I like...dove in front of the security gaurd to slow him down and kept yelling "security, security!". The security guy was like "dude, I am security. I'm right here". He didn't get that I was trying to block him and look out for people smoking, I guess. It felt like a scene out of The Matrix, like slow mo', but it probably looked like a monkey trying to fuck a security gaurd. Whatever though....the dude didn't get busted because of me....high 5's and fist knocks went on for at least a full minute afterwards. Very Rad. These were Tool Army kids though, so, I'm sure they're too important to read posts on Tool Navy. ;]

Fucking great show man, best Tool show I have seen out of my 4. Best time I have had at a Tool show too, one of the best times I have had at any show and I've seen a ton of live shows. I danced like a hippie...

All in all....WAY better than the show in NC, WAY, WAY better.....the set list was the same but the experience wasn't. It was so much better man, and I can't really explain why other than MayNARD actually sang.....great music, great people,....just awesome man......150% awesome.

Anyone notice Nard had on a Puscyfur shirt? Hmmm.....
08-10-2009, 07:23 AM

This was my forth Tool show. And though I did not think it was the best performance I have seen of theirs, it was not the worst either. This was my first time being in the new PNC pavilion (which was excellent I thought. I don’t think that there could have been a bad seat in the house unlike the Riverbend pavilion that has many seats with obstructed views). It was my first time seeing Tool out doors, which I was excited about because I hate the acoustics in arena shows. I could never understand what Maynard was saying between songs at any of the arena shows. I could hear his comments on Friday night without strain. However the mix was not good at all I felt. Most of the time you really had to focus really hard to even tell if Maynard was singing at all. I have always respected the fact that Maynard sticks to the background and lets Adam and Justin have the spotlight and dominate the mix but I still want to know that Maynard is contributing. From what I could tell he was not hitting any of the high notes, and he did not even sing the last two lines of Vicarious. He just held out the mic on his megaphone to the crowd as if to say, “Okay now you sing!!” which in many cases would be cool but on this night it just seemed to be another example of how Maynard was half-assing his performance.
Tweak Bird was pretty entertaining. I thought is was really funny when Adam and Justin came out and dumped the foam peanuts all over them and chased the chicken during their set. And I thought their contribution to Lateralus made it the best song of the evening. The guy playing the Theremin was really good at it, I thought and it was a very interesting addition to the song.

Last edited by HookerWithADick; 08-10-2009 at 11:50 AM..
Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #65
Level 3 - Talker

This was my forth Tool show. And though I did not think it was the best performance I have seen of theirs, it was not the worst either. This was my first time being in the new PNC pavilion (which was excellent I thought. I don’t think that there could have been a bad seat in the house unlike the Riverbend pavilion that has many seats with obstructed views). It was my first time seeing Tool out doors, which I was excited about because I hate the acoustics in arena shows. I could never understand what Maynard was saying between songs at any of the arena shows. I could hear his comments on Friday night without strain. However the mix was not good at all I felt. Most of the time you really had to focus really hard to even tell if Maynard was singing at all. I have always respected the fact that Maynard sticks to the background and lets Adam and Justin have the spotlight and dominate the mix but I still want to know that Maynard is contributing. From what I could tell he was not hitting any of the high notes, and he did not even sing the last two lines of Vicarious. He just held out the mic on his megaphone to the crowd as if to say, “Okay now you sing!!” which in many cases would be cool but on this night it just seemed to be another example of how Maynard was half-assing his performance.
Tweak Bird was pretty entertaining. I thought is was really funny when Adam and Justin came out and dumped the foam peanuts all over them and chased the chicken during their set. And I thought their contribution to Lateralus made it the best song of the evening. The guy playing the Theremin was really good at it, I thought and it was a very interesting addition to the song.

Last edited by HookerWithADick; 08-10-2009 at 11:50 AM..
OFFLINE |  
HookerWithADick's Avatar HookerWithADick
08-10-2009, 11:51 AM

The security at the venue was fucking annoying. Every ten seconds it seemed one of them was pushing past me or blocking my view to give people shit about their cell phones or smoking. I have never been so annoyed by an event staff. If I could make a small recommendation to the guys in Tool about that matter I would explain that I understand and respect their need to minimize the piracy of their shows, it is their art and video taping it is the same as stealing from them. But insisting that the event staff pester the shit out of the crowd about it in a way ripping us off from the experience. I’ll bet that just about anyone in that venue who has an isle seat was annoyed my the staff constantly pushing past them to tell someone to put their phone away or put your cigarette out.
One other major detail that really disappointed me was that there was no new material of any kind that I could recognize. Not even and instrumental teaser between songs, nothing to hint about what to expect on the upcoming album that they have been recording. I’m sure that all the synthesizer duets between songs will not make it to a recording, and if it I would question WTF is this!!
My favorite Tool show by far that I have seen was in Cincinnati back in ’02. I thought the Lateralus stage was better, I thought that the band played better, the mix was probably better too. They played Opiate which was fucking kick ass and the all jammed what seemed like an improve jam at the time but actually turned out to be “Wings for Marie”.
It was a good show at the PNC Pavilion on 8-7-09, but I found it to be rather disappointing compared to past Tool shows I have seen. The stage was the same as ’07 the set-list was almost identical to’07 (common guys aren’t you sick of this tired ass set list yet, I know you have been jamming and recording new material for a few months now) and the mix was awful (your sound tech really needs to take a lap around the venue a few times a night or Tool should fire your ass!) but it was Tool and they shit brilliance.

Last edited by HookerWithADick; 08-11-2009 at 06:24 AM..
Old 08-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #66
Level 3 - Talker

The security at the venue was fucking annoying. Every ten seconds it seemed one of them was pushing past me or blocking my view to give people shit about their cell phones or smoking. I have never been so annoyed by an event staff. If I could make a small recommendation to the guys in Tool about that matter I would explain that I understand and respect their need to minimize the piracy of their shows, it is their art and video taping it is the same as stealing from them. But insisting that the event staff pester the shit out of the crowd about it in a way ripping us off from the experience. I’ll bet that just about anyone in that venue who has an isle seat was annoyed my the staff constantly pushing past them to tell someone to put their phone away or put your cigarette out.
One other major detail that really disappointed me was that there was no new material of any kind that I could recognize. Not even and instrumental teaser between songs, nothing to hint about what to expect on the upcoming album that they have been recording. I’m sure that all the synthesizer duets between songs will not make it to a recording, and if it I would question WTF is this!!
My favorite Tool show by far that I have seen was in Cincinnati back in ’02. I thought the Lateralus stage was better, I thought that the band played better, the mix was probably better too. They played Opiate which was fucking kick ass and the all jammed what seemed like an improve jam at the time but actually turned out to be “Wings for Marie”.
It was a good show at the PNC Pavilion on 8-7-09, but I found it to be rather disappointing compared to past Tool shows I have seen. The stage was the same as ’07 the set-list was almost identical to’07 (common guys aren’t you sick of this tired ass set list yet, I know you have been jamming and recording new material for a few months now) and the mix was awful (your sound tech really needs to take a lap around the venue a few times a night or Tool should fire your ass!) but it was Tool and they shit brilliance.

Last edited by HookerWithADick; 08-11-2009 at 06:24 AM..
OFFLINE |  
btravis311
08-10-2009, 01:23 PM

Thanks to Tool for a great show. It's a honor to see pros at work, and I certainly hope it's not the last time. PNC was a nice venue.

I should say that the COSM "Tool Shrine" shit is a bit ridiculous. Can part of the proceeds from my $100 pit ticket not be allocated for the cause? Sheesh. If there's some angle to this that I'm not seeing, please enlighten me.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #67
Level 4 - Thinker

Thanks to Tool for a great show. It's a honor to see pros at work, and I certainly hope it's not the last time. PNC was a nice venue.

I should say that the COSM "Tool Shrine" shit is a bit ridiculous. Can part of the proceeds from my $100 pit ticket not be allocated for the cause? Sheesh. If there's some angle to this that I'm not seeing, please enlighten me.
OFFLINE |  
veikley's Avatar veikley
08-12-2009, 12:05 PM

That show was sweet. I loved PNC Pavillion...the last show at US Bank Arena didn't do it for me at all. And the only thing I can say to anyone who can complain about this show.....did you ever think you would see TOOL play live in 2009??????? Enjoy it while you still can...hopefully a new album is in the works.

Not sure what was buggering up Justin's feedback for lost keys but he was fighting it like hell to keep it goin...must've been the humidity...

Last edited by veikley; 08-12-2009 at 12:11 PM..
Old 08-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #68
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

That show was sweet. I loved PNC Pavillion...the last show at US Bank Arena didn't do it for me at all. And the only thing I can say to anyone who can complain about this show.....did you ever think you would see TOOL play live in 2009??????? Enjoy it while you still can...hopefully a new album is in the works.

Not sure what was buggering up Justin's feedback for lost keys but he was fighting it like hell to keep it goin...must've been the humidity...

Last edited by veikley; 08-12-2009 at 12:11 PM..
OFFLINE |  
egatimra's Avatar egatimra
08-13-2009, 03:06 AM

This has been the 5th Ohio Tool show that I have attended since '98. This time around, my husband and I took a 2.5 hour trip to Columbus, where a good friend of ours lives, and the three of us trucked it another 2 hours to Cincinnati. Not at once, though. We made a mini-vacation of it.

My husband has an account here as well, so hopefully he'll post his opinions of the show at another time.

We purchased an unsigned show poster at the PNC merchandise kiosk for $25. I took a photo of the poster, including a macro of the Tool Notary Stamp. It's killer.

We sat in section 102, Row P. We were approximately 22 rows from stage left. As far as sound goes, unfortunately it did, on occasion, become difficult to make sense from one tone to another. I'm not sure if it was the architecture of the venue or not, but it surely did not lessen the overall experience.

Tweakbird is interesting. Things must be feeling really good for them right now. I wonder what the story is, even if it's nothing extraordinary. I hope they get a record label if they want one.

I will always be incredibly thankful to experience Tool play for a live audience. It was especially awesome to watch Tool play for 4K people. Most of the shows I have attended could hold 10-40K people. It was a huge treat to hear how freakin' LOUD 4K people can be compared to 10K. It was a great crowd, too. Even those schizophrenics.

Thank you, Tool. Thanks for being there while I navigate a lot of interesting maps.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:06 AM   #69
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11

This has been the 5th Ohio Tool show that I have attended since '98. This time around, my husband and I took a 2.5 hour trip to Columbus, where a good friend of ours lives, and the three of us trucked it another 2 hours to Cincinnati. Not at once, though. We made a mini-vacation of it.

My husband has an account here as well, so hopefully he'll post his opinions of the show at another time.

We purchased an unsigned show poster at the PNC merchandise kiosk for $25. I took a photo of the poster, including a macro of the Tool Notary Stamp. It's killer.

We sat in section 102, Row P. We were approximately 22 rows from stage left. As far as sound goes, unfortunately it did, on occasion, become difficult to make sense from one tone to another. I'm not sure if it was the architecture of the venue or not, but it surely did not lessen the overall experience.

Tweakbird is interesting. Things must be feeling really good for them right now. I wonder what the story is, even if it's nothing extraordinary. I hope they get a record label if they want one.

I will always be incredibly thankful to experience Tool play for a live audience. It was especially awesome to watch Tool play for 4K people. Most of the shows I have attended could hold 10-40K people. It was a huge treat to hear how freakin' LOUD 4K people can be compared to 10K. It was a great crowd, too. Even those schizophrenics.

Thank you, Tool. Thanks for being there while I navigate a lot of interesting maps.
08-13-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohar View Post
I've seen tool 5 times now dating back to 96 and for the first time completely disappointed. Not only did they play nearly the same set as 07, and maynard hides in the back doing nothing, both things I was expecting. But what i cannot understand is why Maynard is so low in the mix and I didnt see him once attempt a high or difficult note. He simply relied on vocal effects to carry out his yells. ......
Keep in mind MJK is pushin' about 50. He's about 46 now I think? TOOL VERY rarely does Ticks and Leeches anymore because MJK f'd up his voice from getting too into it. Also, hitting some of the high notes in Vicarious would kill too. And also keep in mind that this isn't Opiate/Undertow days where he was trippin' and just lost in the music (NO I am NOT beating him down.)

TOOL is an amazing band and ALWAYS will be in my books.

This show was INSANE. I drove 5+ hours from Pittsburgh, PA with a few friends to get 'mindraped'. The show was EPIC. The setlist was pretty killer too. It was a great experience...I didn't run into any assholes. Everyone was really cool and I chatted with a few people too.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #70
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohar View Post
I've seen tool 5 times now dating back to 96 and for the first time completely disappointed. Not only did they play nearly the same set as 07, and maynard hides in the back doing nothing, both things I was expecting. But what i cannot understand is why Maynard is so low in the mix and I didnt see him once attempt a high or difficult note. He simply relied on vocal effects to carry out his yells. ......
Keep in mind MJK is pushin' about 50. He's about 46 now I think? TOOL VERY rarely does Ticks and Leeches anymore because MJK f'd up his voice from getting too into it. Also, hitting some of the high notes in Vicarious would kill too. And also keep in mind that this isn't Opiate/Undertow days where he was trippin' and just lost in the music (NO I am NOT beating him down.)

TOOL is an amazing band and ALWAYS will be in my books.

This show was INSANE. I drove 5+ hours from Pittsburgh, PA with a few friends to get 'mindraped'. The show was EPIC. The setlist was pretty killer too. It was a great experience...I didn't run into any assholes. Everyone was really cool and I chatted with a few people too.
OFFLINE |  
notOGT
08-13-2009, 02:56 PM

I'm not OGT -- I'm a Tool noob, basically.
This wasn't my 147th Tool show -- it was my third.

It was also the best Tool show I've seen yet.

To all you OGT's out there who feel sorry for me for believing this to have actually been a really good show, and to those who are lining up to tell me I'd feel differently if I'd been around to witness 'the OLD Tool' when Maynard painted himself blue and screamed himself hoarse...don't bother.

I don't need your pity.

Afterall...I can still enjoy the hell out of a Tool show, and you can't. You need pity more than I, friend.

You see, it wasn't just this show that was bad for you...it could have been any show. It wouldn't have mattered if the sound had been better, or if that girl hadn't done that one thing that ticked you off, or if that security guard wasn't such a porksword with eyes.. It wouldn't matter..

The magic is gone for you...it's gone. You can't get it back. It's over. I know you hate that, but...

Well, just fuckin' deal with it.

If you don't, Tool may decide to hang it up for good and the rest of us -- those who aren't whiney bitches -- will never get our chance to get totally burned out on Tool shows like you did.

So, skip the next show, Negative Nancies, and let the tickets go to people who are actually capable of appreciating something that *is* amazing.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #71
Level 1 - Lurker

I'm not OGT -- I'm a Tool noob, basically.
This wasn't my 147th Tool show -- it was my third.

It was also the best Tool show I've seen yet.

To all you OGT's out there who feel sorry for me for believing this to have actually been a really good show, and to those who are lining up to tell me I'd feel differently if I'd been around to witness 'the OLD Tool' when Maynard painted himself blue and screamed himself hoarse...don't bother.

I don't need your pity.

Afterall...I can still enjoy the hell out of a Tool show, and you can't. You need pity more than I, friend.

You see, it wasn't just this show that was bad for you...it could have been any show. It wouldn't have mattered if the sound had been better, or if that girl hadn't done that one thing that ticked you off, or if that security guard wasn't such a porksword with eyes.. It wouldn't matter..

The magic is gone for you...it's gone. You can't get it back. It's over. I know you hate that, but...

Well, just fuckin' deal with it.

If you don't, Tool may decide to hang it up for good and the rest of us -- those who aren't whiney bitches -- will never get our chance to get totally burned out on Tool shows like you did.

So, skip the next show, Negative Nancies, and let the tickets go to people who are actually capable of appreciating something that *is* amazing.
OFFLINE |  
joe6212
08-13-2009, 03:34 PM

This was my first Tool show even though I have been a fan for years. Words could not describe how much I enjoyed that show. For starters, I had a nice blend of tea in the parking lot that really enhanced the lights and sounds. Tweakbird I thought was absolutely terrible with the exception of the drummer. I did notice that Maynard was not very loud however there were enough positives to outweigh that. This was by far the best concert I've ever seen. I felt at home as I saw lots of other hardcore Tool fans there. I don't think I've ever seen so many people on trips in the same place ever but we all have the right idea. I think some people might have done a little much though because when Adam and Justin hit some of those high screechy notes in between songs, I saw people wiggin out and runnin out of the pit and from seats. I just embraced the fuck out of every musical note they made. Highlights of the show for me were Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned along with 46 and 2, Schism, and Aenema. I think they really rocked the shit out of Rosetta Stoned. My buddy and I traveled from Cleveland to see that show. We rocked out Tool in our rental car all the way back to the hotel and rocked out more Tool when we got in the hotel room. I won't complain about setlists at all because just about anything they play live is AMAZING!!!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #72
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show even though I have been a fan for years. Words could not describe how much I enjoyed that show. For starters, I had a nice blend of tea in the parking lot that really enhanced the lights and sounds. Tweakbird I thought was absolutely terrible with the exception of the drummer. I did notice that Maynard was not very loud however there were enough positives to outweigh that. This was by far the best concert I've ever seen. I felt at home as I saw lots of other hardcore Tool fans there. I don't think I've ever seen so many people on trips in the same place ever but we all have the right idea. I think some people might have done a little much though because when Adam and Justin hit some of those high screechy notes in between songs, I saw people wiggin out and runnin out of the pit and from seats. I just embraced the fuck out of every musical note they made. Highlights of the show for me were Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned along with 46 and 2, Schism, and Aenema. I think they really rocked the shit out of Rosetta Stoned. My buddy and I traveled from Cleveland to see that show. We rocked out Tool in our rental car all the way back to the hotel and rocked out more Tool when we got in the hotel room. I won't complain about setlists at all because just about anything they play live is AMAZING!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
LAGEAR1
08-14-2009, 11:47 AM

Seen Tool 9 times now, never been disappointed.

Cincinnati was my 5th time for the 10,000 Days tour, b/c these shows are all part of the same tour IMO.

Although you could call this the Alex Grey Tour, b/c I think he is the main reason for doing this small tour. Raising money, and Awareness for this Great Artist seemed to be the main motivation for this mini tour.

In any case this show was not the best that I've seen, but was still awesome, w/ many highlights. Flood was performed at an out of this world Level, they nailed it "Hard". And musically everything was very tight, loved the extended part of StinkFest, and Schism. The Band face off was also very cool, gotta Love Lateralus.

MJK sounded pretty clear to me, except RS, which is nothing new for this song. Still I understand why people complain about the mix, it's always different, but not quite right.

I hope for many more years of seeing these guys, but you never know what the future holds. I know that they still got it, and will for at least another 5 to 10+ years, after that...all things good, or bad, come to an end.

Can't wait for New Album, New Tour, and a DVD, ya right LOL!!

Oh yeah, I would love to see the Next Tour Played "IN THE ROUND". For those of you who don't know what I mean, Tool would Play in the center of an Arena, and the Stage could Rotate. Or they could just move Around, I'm sure they could come up w/ some Amazing Visuals for this knid of a Stage Set up.

Until next time,
Peace the F Out
Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #73
Level 1 - Lurker

Seen Tool 9 times now, never been disappointed.

Cincinnati was my 5th time for the 10,000 Days tour, b/c these shows are all part of the same tour IMO.

Although you could call this the Alex Grey Tour, b/c I think he is the main reason for doing this small tour. Raising money, and Awareness for this Great Artist seemed to be the main motivation for this mini tour.

In any case this show was not the best that I've seen, but was still awesome, w/ many highlights. Flood was performed at an out of this world Level, they nailed it "Hard". And musically everything was very tight, loved the extended part of StinkFest, and Schism. The Band face off was also very cool, gotta Love Lateralus.

MJK sounded pretty clear to me, except RS, which is nothing new for this song. Still I understand why people complain about the mix, it's always different, but not quite right.

I hope for many more years of seeing these guys, but you never know what the future holds. I know that they still got it, and will for at least another 5 to 10+ years, after that...all things good, or bad, come to an end.

Can't wait for New Album, New Tour, and a DVD, ya right LOL!!

Oh yeah, I would love to see the Next Tour Played "IN THE ROUND". For those of you who don't know what I mean, Tool would Play in the center of an Arena, and the Stage could Rotate. Or they could just move Around, I'm sure they could come up w/ some Amazing Visuals for this knid of a Stage Set up.

Until next time,
Peace the F Out
OFFLINE |  
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
08-14-2009, 12:14 PM

I dont know what all of this animosity is towards Maynard. We all know he doesn't have the voice he used to, but to say he doesn't enjoy performing or gives a half ass performance is just crazy. He has the same stage presence he's always had and is still reclusicve on stage as always. Hell, I saw them on the Lateralus tour and his back was turned to the audience the whole time...I didn't hear anyone crying back then. Ive seen them several times during the course of the past 3 albums and hes been pretty consistent i've thought. People just have high expectations of Tool and when those people see them live they're going to be let down...quit expecting to have this mindfuck experience where they will play all of your favorite songs and have your life changed. They could play a different setlist every night and people would still bitch because a song they played the night before wasn't played the night they caught them. Tool fans have to be some of the most obnoxious people I have met....always bitching about something. "Dude...I saw Tool last night, and Maynards face wasn't painted...what a waste of money" What a waste of life. I just enjoy going to see them...I don't expect it to be the single greatest concert of mankind...I don't expect the sound to be crystal clear...and I dont expect Maynard to belt out ticks and leeches vocals...I go to enjoy some classics i've grown to love and thats it. Why don't all you whiners change your tampons and join a Jonas Bros forum so you can fit in with the other whining maggots.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #74
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

I dont know what all of this animosity is towards Maynard. We all know he doesn't have the voice he used to, but to say he doesn't enjoy performing or gives a half ass performance is just crazy. He has the same stage presence he's always had and is still reclusicve on stage as always. Hell, I saw them on the Lateralus tour and his back was turned to the audience the whole time...I didn't hear anyone crying back then. Ive seen them several times during the course of the past 3 albums and hes been pretty consistent i've thought. People just have high expectations of Tool and when those people see them live they're going to be let down...quit expecting to have this mindfuck experience where they will play all of your favorite songs and have your life changed. They could play a different setlist every night and people would still bitch because a song they played the night before wasn't played the night they caught them. Tool fans have to be some of the most obnoxious people I have met....always bitching about something. "Dude...I saw Tool last night, and Maynards face wasn't painted...what a waste of money" What a waste of life. I just enjoy going to see them...I don't expect it to be the single greatest concert of mankind...I don't expect the sound to be crystal clear...and I dont expect Maynard to belt out ticks and leeches vocals...I go to enjoy some classics i've grown to love and thats it. Why don't all you whiners change your tampons and join a Jonas Bros forum so you can fit in with the other whining maggots.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply