opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Upcoming and Unreleased
User Name
Password
Old 03-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #41
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: So when can we expect the "The Pot" DVD Video Single?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyB View Post
That's a good point, otherwise why would they be selling their videos individually. I do think they put a lot of thought into their videos though, and as the forum goes to show, they will never be able to please everybody.
Your right, I wish "fans" would be more faithful and loyal and just appriciate the fact that a band like Tool exsists.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #42
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
Get over yourself. They could have expanded but instead they stuck to the same old tired riffs instead of continuing to evolve like they had been. Unless you were in the studio, you don't know shit about whether it was intentional or not.

Tool are not gods, dickhead.

Or, you know, half the people who listened to the album and realized that Adam is playing the same altered pentatonic scale he's been using since H., on songs that don't even connect to each others' meaning.

This doesn't even make sense.

You, sir, are an embarassment to the community.
your really attacking people for their ideas? Maybe your the dickhead, the music ,for me anyways, is a tool that i use to help deal with the pressures of daily living, to each is their own, but whats the point of sitting behind your comp bashing other people...get off you high horse and come chill with the rest of us who are grounded and using this tool to break away from all this repetitive bull-shit...have a good one
Old 03-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #43
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I think adams playing...or underplaying his parts, allowing the bass or drums take center stage instead while laying down a percussive groove on his les paul is exactly what makes tools music so special, original, and great.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #44
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Styles View Post
We all wanted a Lateralus video. The talk about TOOL making a movie makes me dream...
I have wanted this forever..just a full length visual enhancer..not that the music itself isnt suffiecient but something more along the lines of the wall not the concept just the use of an entire album put to imagery.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #45
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by will see you auntie View Post
I think adams playing...or underplaying his parts, allowing the bass or drums take center stage instead while laying down a percussive groove on his les paul is exactly what makes tools music so special, original, and great.
each piece is very vital to the sound that is being produced. i agree with you, cant have one without the other
Old 04-05-2008, 06:03 AM   #46
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnshmetal View Post
Lateralus didn't need a video. Your brain makes its own.
that's true, but i'd still have loved to see what Adam and Alex's brains would come up with
Old 04-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #47
Level 2 - Poster

Is it just me or does anyone else find music videos boring? Granted Tool's videos are much more creative and look brilliant visually, but after seeing them once i really don't need to see it aain.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:08 AM   #48
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz035 View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else find music videos boring? Granted Tool's videos are much more creative and look brilliant visually, but after seeing them once i really don't need to see it aain.
I'm the opposite. I will watch them all about once a month and detect small subtle things that I hadn't quite captured on prior viewings. I always try and interpret what I'm seeing or the relevance to the songs and it always seems like a fresh experience. I love my Tool video's... but I think I buy them just so that my collection looks bloated full of awesome.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #49
Level 10 - Vehement

Why thank you. I am a bit of a consumer whore, I'll gladly admit it.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #50
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
And how!
I'm thinking of running around with a cape around a Wal-Mart store as I buy any merchandise with a popular logo on it. I'm still trying to decide on which one, but I'm leaning towards Nike. That little swoosh just does it for me every time.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #51
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Old 04-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #52
Jedi Master

The dude is the leadsinger of hardcore band H2O.
"Beer & Water" refers to their tour they did with Murphy's Law.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #53
Jedi Master

It doesn't.

It's just another type of music, which you happen to dislike. It triggers other emotions or another side of one's character, for that matter. Don't like it? Cool. But it doesn't suck...
Old 05-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #54
Jedi Master

I remember some time ago, you posted that you liked Slipknot for ventilating aggression. The way you discribe hardcore also reminds me of them in a way. As for the drummerpart, that goes the same for the grindcore you seem to like as well.

Really, i agree it's not the most intelligent form of music. But still there are alot out there who don't really fit your prescription and are quite enjoyable. When i read the above i think you're reffering to more metalcore related bands like Integrity. Personally i prefer the more oldschool Sick Of It All sort of hardcore.

But again you don't have to like it. I do. You probably like things i don't enjoy at all.

Peace!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #55
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

Quote:
No, really. Hardcore requires nothing more than a clutch of fastpicked drop-d powerchords, a drummer who doesn't really hold a beat with anything but double bass as he kinda does random fills on all his other pieces, and a singer who just screams about nothing. If a bassist is present they're usually playing an even easier version of what the guitar is playing. It sucks.
holy shit, you know what band this reminds me of??

hint: it begins with "t"
Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #56
Jedi Master

The Police?
Old 05-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #57
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 94

Quote:
Get over yourself. They could have expanded but instead they stuck to the same old tired riffs instead of continuing to evolve like they had been. Unless you were in the studio, you don't know shit about whether it was intentional or not.
For one, you wouldn't know that yourself, so don't act like you're Mr. High and Mighty, Rivek.

Quote:
Or, you know, half the people who listened to the album and realized that Adam is playing the same altered pentatonic scale he's been using since H., on songs that don't even connect to each others' meaning.
Second, if you are idiotic enough to think that, you should just go read Paraflux's post about 10,000 Days and it might just open your eyes to your bigotic beliefs.

Quote:
You, sir, are an embarassment to the community.

The irony kills.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #58
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
The Police?
Dude, that's what I've been thinking too! I love the breakdown in Synchronicity II, I actually broke my car stereo from cranking up the volume and thrashing around.

But seriously...I realize that this is from over a month ago, but Rivek, are you arguing that Adam has been regurgitating his style just really in 10,000 Days, or that he's been keeping to generally the same style throughout? I'm a fellow guitar player, but I guess a drummer mainly (only over a year on the former and without lessons, but I've been drumming for about six).

And I should probably add that in my opinion, Tool is one of the fewer heavier bands I've listened to that places a much larger focus on the rhythmic and vocal sections.
"I went to the park and saw a kid flying a kite. The kid was really excited. I don't know why, that's what they're supposed to do. Now if he had a chair on the other end of that string, I would have been impressed."
--Mitch Hedberg

"The reason our institutions, our traditional religions, are crumbling is because they're no longer relevant."
-- Bill Hicks
Old 05-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #59
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
the whole of recorded music history begs to differ.

And you DO realize that Dropped-d only changes the note of one string? One whole step DOWN in fact. It actually slightly INCREASES the tonal range of a guitar.
Stop talking like you know anything about music. The fact is, the guitar is in standard for the maximum reach of different notes as well as the ability to play in the most different styles and tones. This is common knowledge among MUSICIANS.

Last edited by ufopancakes; 05-14-2008 at 03:09 PM..
Old 05-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #60
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
He disappointed pretty fucking hard by agreeing to those Schism and Parabola DVD singles

And with his playing on 10000 Days, aka "Tool, the first 10 years rearranged"
First of all, I like the dvd single idea. Their videos are never played on TV, and I had never even seen the complete version of Parabola until the dvd came out (the version I saw was edited down to 5 minutes - blasphemy!). What did you want? Another all inclusive, limited, expensive, hard to find box set? I payed only 10 dollars a piece for Schism, Parabola, and Vicarious - maybe the single idea was made to serve the fans (and tide people over for new material - Salival did this for Lateralus, Schism/Parabola did this for 10,000 Days, and Vicarious is doing this for whatever new album comes out).

Secondly, its funny you mention AJ and his "nostalgic" guitar playing. He employs a few new techniques never used by Tool before - ummm, the TALK BOX in Jambi? Also, Right in Two was written back in the Opiate days - I've heard the original version and its MUCH heavier. Wings for Marie and 10,000 days sounds nothing like anything they've done before, even compared to slow burners like Disposition/Reflection/Triad. Rosetta Stoned....well jesus, thats different! The Pot stands up to Tool's best and has some great bass playing. In fact, the only one that sounds a little rehashed/subpar is Vicarious - the intro seems to reference Lateralus a lot, the lyrx aren't as good, and Maynards voice sounds scratchy - I will say tho that the message of the song is quite relevant for the time, and the video is great.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #61
Super Bat Kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
Also, Right in Two was written back in the Opiate days - I've heard the original version and its MUCH heavier.
orly
Old 05-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #62
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
Also, Right in Two was written back in the Opiate days - I've heard the original version and its MUCH heavier.
It also bears more than a passing resemblance to the version of Pushit found on Salival.
"I went to the park and saw a kid flying a kite. The kid was really excited. I don't know why, that's what they're supposed to do. Now if he had a chair on the other end of that string, I would have been impressed."
--Mitch Hedberg

"The reason our institutions, our traditional religions, are crumbling is because they're no longer relevant."
-- Bill Hicks
Old 05-15-2008, 05:33 AM   #63
Super Bat Kiss

Quote:
No, it's not. It's actually the same open-3rd position-5th position shit for most of the song that was already done on, oh, I dunno, half of Undertow to say the least.
qft, because I tabbed out rosetta stone back in the day. it IS a lot of elementary pentatonic bull.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #64
Super Bat Kiss

anytime bro
Old 05-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #65
Super Bat Kiss

it's almost done, actually. it'll be out next week or the week after. thanks for asking
Old 05-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #66
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Way to totally miss what I was saying and go on another topic entirely, dipshit.

the lowest note on a standard-tuned guitar is an E. The lowest note on a Drop-D tuned guitar is the D one whole note below that E. Therefore, there are an extra two half-steps. Therefore the tonal range of the instrument is increased by a full note.

This is common knowledge among ANYONE WITH A FUCKING BRAIN.
The way and place you said it made it sound like you can hit MORE notes, and that it gives you an advantage... when it doesn't. Yes, the tonal range is increased, but that doesn't mean shit, becuase your hands reach for a variety of notes is constrained by tuning the string down... So it really hinders your ability to play over a range of styles and notes... which made your argument totally invalid.

Its especially difficult to take someone seriously when they make an outrageous claim that they can play along with the entire lateralus CD on bass after two days.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #67
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 94

Quote:
Not necessarily. It's a lot easier to play certain types of chords in dropped-D, and single-note runs with the D fretted somewhere as a pedal tone are made easier. Besides which, look at the guy I was originally talking with when this argument was brought up. I'm seriously doubtful of the fact that he meant the same as you do when he made an excuse for the small amount of riffs handed out.

Did I neglect to mention that when I say two days, I literally mean that's pretty much all I did for two days?

I also knew how to play the songs on guitar already, which was a big help. You guys act like it's impossible to put in hard work on something one enjoys.
Haha, I normally tune things on Drop-D for that very reason. Even though sometimes its good to tune to natural to get that harmony that can't always be done with the Drop-D tuning.

What kind of guitar do you have?
Old 06-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #68
Level 4 - Thinker

Hi Mr. Saget.

..D.O.N.T...T.H.E.S.E...T.A.L.K.I.N.G...M.O.N.K.E. Y.S...K.N.O.W...T.H.A.T...E.D.E.N...H.A.S...E.N.O. U.G.H...T.O...G.O...A.R.O.U.N.D.?
Old 06-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #69
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695

what the hell does this thread have to do with the pot dvd?

IN BEFORE THE BIN YO@!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: