opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Upcoming and Unreleased
User Name
Password
Old 11-29-2002, 12:29 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
best Alex Grey painting?

I'm interested in knowing people's opinions about which single piece of non-Lateralus artwork by Alex Grey is the best.

My vote is for Nuclear Crucifixion. Its amazing, and yet I have no idea what it could mean...

Another one of my faves is Tantra.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 12:44 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

i dont know much about alex gray his paintings

but i do like that Oversoul painting (the cover of Transfigurations)

i dont know why i like it

i geuss its the yellow and blue colors i like ...
Old 11-29-2002, 02:02 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Universal

The piece/s of Alex Grey's art which I enjoy the most would have to be "Universal Mind Lattice", and "Artists Hand". Universal Mind lattice is just extraordinary. For those who are unfamiliar with this piece it is one of the sacred mirrors. It is also used at the very end of the Parabola video. However I liked it long before this. I was blown away when I saw the video for the first time and saw it there. It just holds so much. The colour, the depth. You truley get the feel that it is this very piece of art that is holding us all in this "Universal Mind Lattice".

Artists Hand is also an extraordinary piece. It so clearly puts forth the idea of your paint brush really just being the eye of your mind. I can't really explain it, but it just has something too it. All of Alex's art has the same effect. The information and feeling you gain from them is incredible, however it is on a higher level. A level which you can't quite describe, which I guess is why art is here all along. To express these moments.

Yes this is a bit off topic, but just go and play Lateralus to the parabola video. Line it up so the song lateralua will finish at the same time as the video, and you will experience something amazing. Lateralus appears to fit the video much better than Parabola, particularly the final 1 to 2 minutes. Truley an experience you can not leave the day without.

Has anyone else tried this?
Old 11-29-2002, 08:15 PM   #4
ry.
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 58
my fav. Alex Grey work is Tantra, with Aritist's Hand a close second. but as for the little sub-thread created, i could have sworn i saw that Tool was making a video for Lateralus, (i believe it was in one of Blair's newsleters), Lateralus was also played by radio stations at the time.Then later the video turned out to parabola,so was this video intended for Lateralus?
Old 11-30-2002, 01:39 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
It's a difficult question, but my long-time favorite is OverSoul. It has been a big influence on one of my own artworks, I've used the same colors for my work. Then I also like Cosmic Christ and Holy Fire, probably for the colors. And OverSoul and Cosmic Christ have the same idea, the grids & stuff. Alex Grey is definitely my favorite artist, and his art & Tool's music together are my biggest influence on my own artwork & poetry.
Old 11-30-2002, 09:34 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by aeonblue
It's a difficult question, but my long-time favorite is OverSoul. It has been a big influence on one of my own artworks, I've used the same colors for my work. Then I also like Cosmic Christ and Holy Fire, probably for the colors. And OverSoul and Cosmic Christ have the same idea, the grids & stuff. Alex Grey is definitely my favorite artist, and his art & Tool's music together are my biggest influence on my own artwork & poetry.
aeonblue, do you have any artwork of poetry online that i can view? i would like to see your material, as well as anyone elses that is up for viewing.
alex greys art work in general is AMAZING. definatly a big influence on me. as i look at all of his paintings, i can feel the energy and emotion flowing through me. with every one of his paintings i look at, i have an emotional experience. he has definatly fulfilled an artists job. The Nature of Mind is one of my favorites. it challenges me to understand and experience what the "Wanderer from the West" experiences. i also like The Soul Finds Its Way, and Tantra. i also find Alex and Allyson's relationship inspiring
Old 11-30-2002, 11:39 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 44
I think "new man/new woman' is a beautiful work of art. I love the expressions on both of the people in the painting. Its like theyre looking out into an uncertain place. They dont know whether to be happy or sad or scared. I guess you could say they expressionless, but i just love how it stands out.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:07 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

i hate to say it but i think "Interbeing" is by far the best., just look at the colors!!

Ghost
Old 12-03-2002, 08:10 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

i really love theologue (have a t shirt of it) and tantra. though pretty much everything he's done is beautiful.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:26 PM   #10
Paradigm Shifter (tdn $upporter)

i have the 'holy fire' poster up on my wall,and the transfigurations book on my shelf on display.

what is awesome is that he personally signs all posters and books that are sold.

i also have a very soft spot for the universal mind lattice. it is so insightful, and the concept that underlies it and led to its creation is simply PROFOUND...

you can see a couple pieces of my 'work' online...though im not really much of a visual artist (im more of a poet and philosophical writer)...

http://www.urquattro.com/bryce.jpg

and:

http://www.urquattro.com/bryce2.jpg
Old 12-03-2002, 10:14 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
New Family

My favorite piece, from Progress of the Soul, is New Family. The eyes, of the entire family, are wide and fresh. The energy is white, genuine and filled with hope.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:43 AM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

death

Death is one of my faveorites because it was the first painting to have the spiral eyes....and it show the point then man finally got to seperate the body from the mind.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:44 AM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

oh yeay......i just oprdered last night Sacred Mirrors, and Mission of Art from his website....and i get them noth signed. I'm gonna go show it to my art teacher and make him grovel.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:16 PM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

i love the artists hand. i think its a great visual on the process of work going from the artists mind to a actual work
Old 12-05-2002, 03:48 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

my faves are...oversoul, new man/new woman, and lightweaver
Old 12-06-2002, 09:46 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

I think my favorites are Dying and Gaia
Old 12-06-2002, 11:17 AM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

damn, how could i forget dying? that one is fucking beautiful... the first alex grey painting i ever saw.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:22 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Although it is sort of hard to pick a favorite work from Alex, I'd have to say I like all of his works that have the thousands of eyes in the background. Like in the Parabola video when the man is being enlightened. The still shot that Alex has on his HMTL website is incredible, and I wish I could find a copy of it to use as a background.(anyone know how I could capture that image hi res??) I think "Collective Vision" is also awesome, along with "Ecstasy". If I had an extra $1000 laying around I would order "Ecstasy" without hesitation. It is so beautiful. One reason that I love the spiral of eyes in the background of the Parabola video, "Dying" and in "Ecstasy" is because before I had seen anything like that, I had visions relatively similar in a psychedelic experience I had on mushrooms. It was so beautiful, and seeing it on his site made me absolutely ecstatic. I am seriously thinking of saving up for some art from him.

Does anyone own the Transfigurations book? How is it?

Last edited by flanders; 12-06-2002 at 01:25 PM..
Old 12-07-2002, 09:30 AM   #19
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1125
I own it, it's very worth buying.

My fav has to be the Buddha Embryo series.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:55 PM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

Dying would probebly be my favorite.... I love how he uses the darker blue and purple colors in the body to signify the dying of the body.... also the way it seems that the humans soul is leaving the body.....

Trully an awsome work of art....
Old 12-08-2002, 03:11 PM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

i dig cosmic christ. I like how all the pictures inside of it relate to one another.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:34 PM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Size it up

My favorites are Cosmic Christ and Theologue. I am going see the latter soon in the Tibet House along with a lot of his other work.

This past year he had Cosmic Christ and Atomic Crucifiction on display in the American Visionary Art Musuem in Baltimore, MD. I stood infront of each for a while just to soak them in. Cosmic Christ especially, it was hours. If any of you have the means, you should go to the Tibet House soon, or the American Visionary Art Museum to see his work. I have all of his books, and seeing the work up close is completely different. The size, the detail, the skillful craftsmanship. It really is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:37 PM   #23
the beholder (tdn $upporter)

Yes, definitely transfigurations is worth getting. You'll find out a lot more about alex grey as a person, as well as seeing many great, and also some (for me) disturbing, works of art.
My favorites are "death" (all that was previously said i agree with), i also like "one" (fits nicely with Schism and other such tool songs), and the whole sacred mirrors set is really amazing as well. Alex is certainly a very talented man. laters
Old 12-17-2002, 01:56 AM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

dying is by far my favorite. i have a copy of it that is on the bottom of my roomates top bunk, so i stare at it while i go to sleep. when i meditate laying down, its the first thing i see when i come out. how accurate i think. either way, i think it's great that tool likes them because that way i don't have to say "yeah, i saw a picture of his on mtv cribs in the office of p.o.d.'s guitar player"...
Old 01-12-2003, 03:03 PM   #25
Artistic God

Bincount™: 41
my most favourite would probably be the Gaia painting for the reason being my interprutation of the painting. I just feel as though it shows natures true beauty and then shows the effects in which humans bring forth to it. Next would be the Holy Fire painting. It being much more vibrant than the Gaia, allows me to feel more just by looking at it. I can feel the paiting in its entirety. Overall i admire all of Grey's artwork and wish him great success in which he has already achieved. Im glad Tool was able to bring our focus on this astounding artist and his unique and vibrant ways of art.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:02 PM   #26
Level 2 - Poster

Re: best Alex Grey painting?

BY FAR my favorites are: LAUGHING MAN and the entire from BIRTH TO CONCEPTION collection in transfigurations, NEWBORN is amazing, and WONDER (zena Gazing at the moon.) Alex Grey is an amazing visionary Artist. The Transfigurations Book is absolutely incredible. Anyone interested in the like should also check out Jospeh parker, Ernst Fuchs, Robert Venosa, Erial, and most certainly David Ho. These are some other very talented visionary artists. Joseph Parker did not take drugs. He suffered from migraines. He saw visons of other places during these sensations. His paintings reflect a true inner vision. David Ho is an exceptional Digital Artist. His ArtWork is absolutely stunning. CHECK THESE LINKS OUT if you are a fan of Visionary Art:

http://iasos.com/artists/jparker/

http://www.davidho.com/

http://www.venosa.com/

http://www.lovestarrecords.com/erial/
Old 02-04-2003, 05:44 PM   #27
PAS
Level 1 - Lurker

Alex Grey -- favorite work, plus

Hi all! I'm new to this forum, just signed up.

So far, I'd probably have to go with the liner art for the "Lateralus" album as my current favorite of his works, largely because it has the most relevancy to my life at this point in time. In fact, it inspired the design for my first tattoo (the flames, particularly), which I had done the day before the Radio City show. (I could send a pic to those who'd like to see it.)

Slightly OT question: I'd have to look it up, but am I correct in thinking that his painting, "Gaia" is in the centerfold of the Beastie Boys' album, "Ill Communication"? I believe so.

I am continually astounded by this man's work. As I'd posted in my concert review of 8/14/02, some things beggar likeness: they are so singular that no description of them can really do them justice. It'd be like describing the color red: what is it? Not blue? Then, what is blue? Not red? --Pointless. It's enough to simply absorb their impact. No words are necessary, or even desirable, because they interfere with one's inner perception. (Okay, I'm going to take my own advice and halt the verbosity. *lol*)

I am thus determined to head down to The Church of the Sacred Mirror in Park Slope, Brooklyn, NYC to check out his permanent exhibit there. I don't know which of his pictures are in residence; I'll let you know. So far it's been difficult for me to make the time...but I'll find a way to placate Chronos, I'm sure. :-)

Actually, the painting he did on Maynard during the tour was also pretty cool, at least what I could see of it from second mezzanine! I'd love to know what type or brand of paint he used and his techniques.

And last: Any word on the ultimate disposition of the hangings used during Tool's last tour? What I wouldn't give...

That's all for now, folks. Nice to meet you!

--PAS (Passionate Artistic Spirit)
Old 02-06-2003, 01:45 AM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Okay, i thought I was a little morbid when I discovered Dying. That painting is absolutely beautiful. The eyes on the way up, or down, depending on how you view it are like, to me anyway, that saying, your life and experiences flash before your eyes. It's kind of like the road to death with and infinate ending. Most people think when you die your soul either goes to heaven or hell but, with this painting, and as far as I believe, there is no heaven or hell. It's almost like life never ending. How do you know what's behind that white light? How beautiful, don't ya think...
Old 02-06-2003, 11:46 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Trying to pick a favorite Alex Grey panting is like trying to pick the best Tool song, it is impossible....Spiral Out
Old 02-22-2003, 06:33 PM   #30
guy
Level 4 - Thinker

i personally thought the one of him and allyson hugging was especially beautiful.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:30 PM   #31
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

By far my favourite artwork of Mr. Grey's is Gaia, it just says so much about what we are doing to this world and the destruction we are causing.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:34 PM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typx
By far my favourite artwork of Mr. Grey's is Gaia, it just says so much about what we are doing to this world and the destruction we are causing.
Yet another vote for Gaia. However, I also have a soft spot for Theologue. I ordered prints of both and they're hanging on my wall right now :-)
Old 03-27-2004, 04:02 AM   #33
Banned at user request

Bincount™: 4029

Old 08-24-2004, 03:44 PM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

I glanced through a book of Alex Grey's artwork one time when i was stoned, so I don't remember the name of the one in particular that I liked. It was a man and a woman having sex and you could obviously see his penis inside of her because of the way he draws his human bodies. not that i'm a pervert, but I thought it was beautiful and then I learned that most of his paintings are inspired by him and his wife's relationship and I loved it even more. Does anyone know of the picture I speak? if so let me know

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: