opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Salival » 7. No Quarter
User Name
Password
Old 09-16-2003, 09:45 PM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 4
Why No Quarter?

Why did Tool do a cover of Led Zeppelins - No Quarter, don't get me wrong, the tool song is great but I heard the original Led Zeppelin version of it and it is most likely the worst song I have ever heard in my whole entire life, why couldn't they cover a better song?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 05:20 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2
Why cover a song that is already good when you can transform a terrible song into a wonderful piece of art. It shows their capability and their ability. Plus, it might have some meaning if you read into it. I don't know, but hey, I'm sure there is a reason.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:49 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
You cannot say Led Zeppelin's version is a terrible song. It is great, one of Zeppelin's best. Zeppelin is one of the greatest bands of all time and Tool is paying them tribute (also recently, Maynard, while on Lollapalooza with APC, sang Zep's "Kashmir" with Jane's Addiction). Suggesting that Tool is tranforming "a terrible song into a wonderful piece of art" is an ignorant statement. They are giving their own wonderful interpretation of Zep's already wonderful song.

I am a big Zep fan, and I must say "No Quarter" is one of their best, darkest, most Tool-like songs. As to the meaning: Tool changed the lyrics of the original, which was a veiled reference to The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien (as several other Zep songs were). In case you don't know, "quarter" is another word for "mercy." The only other place I have ever seen "quarter" used in that context was from Tolkien. For those who are familar with LOTR, Zep's song refers to Aragorn and company walking the Paths of the Dead ("walking side by side with death..." etc, etc). If you want this explained further, just ask.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:03 PM   #4
Banned.

...I haven't heard any other led zeppelin but if this is his best, then jesus christ, his over stuff must be overrated crap
Old 09-24-2003, 04:52 AM   #5
meh.

Bincount™: 1074
Re: Why No Quarter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissonance51765
You cannot say Led Zeppelin's version is a terrible song. [...]
Sure he can. It's his opinion.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:03 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman
...I haven't heard any other led zeppelin but if this is his best, then jesus christ, his over stuff must be overrated crap
How can you not have ever heard Zeppelin? "Stairway to Heaven"? No? It's only about the most famous ever. I'm sure you've heard "Rock and Roll" in Cadillac commercials lately. You need to expand your horizons and try out some different music (I'm not saying you have to listen to Zeppelin, but if you haven't heard their music it seems unlikely you would have heard much of anything classic)(I'm also not saying that if its classic it has to be good but there were a lot of good bands back then, many that Tool like and have been influenced by). And Tool would not agree when you say Zeppelin is overrated crap. If it wasn't for them (and Black Sabbath), Tool or any other heavy band would not exist.

BTW, when I said "You cannot say" Zeppelin's song is terrible, I meant "How can you say?". I phrased that wrong. You are entitled to an opinion.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:16 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2
I'm afraid that I have come across the wrong way. I don't believe and wouldn't believe for a second that No Quarter is a terrible song. I think that it is an awesome song, and it is a wonderful contribution to the Houses of the Holy album. I was merely trying to tell the person that said it was horrible that even if you feel that way, if you think that TOOL has made it so well, then they did an excellent job covering it. I love Led Zepplin's music. I think that everyone has heard more than one song of Led, even if they didn't want to hear more than one.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:39 PM   #8
Banned.

Bincount™: 301
well first of all ill answer the question of why tool did a zep cover, and the reason is when the zep tribute cd came out not too long ago tool was asked to be on it, but when tool produced the long version of no quarter the producers told them it had to be shorter so in tool fashion they said go to hell, and they should have, the only way to cover zep would to be in the way tool did, i cant believe the dumbasses in charge told them to shorten it, anyways, once again, fatman has said some dumb shit in his post, and even though it is his opinion, i think he's an idiot. and thats my opinion
Old 09-24-2003, 09:47 PM   #9
Banned.

Wow, I give my oppinon about a song and people flame me, isn't this a lovely forum
Old 09-29-2003, 08:32 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Wow, I give my oppinon about a song and people flame me, isn't this a lovely forum
its no wonder you were "flamed." this is a tool forum with tool fans. the band tool likes zeppelin and made a tribute to them (its no surprise that tool fans might also like zeppelin then). based on hearing ONE song, you said zeppelin was overrated crap. you also said someting like, "if this is his best song...", the operative word there being "his." this implies that you think led zeppelin is one person not a band and further tells us you know nothing about them. your opinion has no backing and you cannot intelligently say they suck.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:43 AM   #11
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 87

Quote:
Yeah HES overated
Old 10-13-2003, 12:26 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3
http://pureanarchy.net/media/Music/Tool/

Check out the "MTV News Europe" vid, right at the end. TOOL've been preforming No Quarter since 1994, maybe earlier. Which Zep tribute album were they to appear on? Emcomium? That was released in 1995, so that places the bands "writing" of the song at about the right time for it to appear on the compilation.

No Quarter, I reckon, is one of Zeppelin's worst songs. The album version, anyway. There's a bootleg with the song preformed live, stretched over 1/2 an hour... but that's not important. Again, opinion, but they butchered Plant's voice there. About the only good thing about it was the guitar, which thankfully was about the only thing TOOL took with them. Oh yeah, the lyrics are ok I guess.

If you're interested in hearing what Zep is supposed to sound like, Fatman, get Led Zeppelin II, IV, and the double CD Physical Graffitti. They've been reissued to hell, so you can probably pick one up for dirt cheap (About $14 here in New Zealand, so you'll probably be able to find it for the same in Oz). Trust me, the rest of their stuff is NOTHING like No Quarter.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:53 AM   #13
Banned.

Sorry I said that wrong, yes I am aware Led Zep. is the name of the band, not the lead singer or whatever
Old 10-13-2003, 05:27 PM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

Dazed and confused is kind of like that, but they have a decent amount of songs that have the same feel, alot of their material is from the lord of the rings books (wich WERE written before the movie came out) and also thier interest in the occult and other such third eye opening experiences influenced much of thier music so it all does have a little bit of the same ring to it, and No Quarter is an excelent song that only deserves to be re-done the way that Tool did.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:17 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

l think maybe TOOL covered this song because they respect Led Zep. as artist...l believe Maynard likes their music as well...he likes that old 70-80's rock...that's what he grew up with.
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:51 PM   #16
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 64
I never gave Zep's version of the song much thought. I liked how the original was really 'atmospheric', with that squishy, underwater keyboard sound followed up by that twangy, box-sounding electric. Sweet shit. *as I listen to it, now*

I like the way Adam's guitar is wrapped up and so much darker. I like the way that Keenan's vocals are buried amongst the rhythm. They took the song and gave it not only a different perspective but one that really does justice and a compliment to the original. The bass line drifts through the song like heavy cigar smoke. and I love Danny's drumming bit right before the outro.

I think the original pales in comparison and that Tool has a better version, mostly because of the myth and 'personality' of Tool and their body of music. It's a personality so different from the vibe the UK's Zep was playing for all the Hobbit-meister's, Black Magik Page inductees, and bodacious 70's boo-tay *mEeP*. US West Coast Tool walked into the studio something like --27-- years later and picked up where Zep left off, rocked the house and deftly maked the orignal Zep-jam all the more memorable. Tool didn't step up and shoot 'em down, they stepped up and raised both songs to a different level.

If I was Page, Plant, Bonham, or Jones hearing Tools' version for the first time, I'd shit my pants and say, "Fuckin eh!" Then I'd throw up my thumb accompanied by a shit eating grin and a vigorous nod of my shaggy head.

-Tant

. . . "Cruisin down the street in my 6-fo'. . ."
Old 10-14-2003, 04:25 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

When you hav your own band and you like a song of a band that has influenced you..then you do a cover of that song and thats all! thas why Tool made a cover of No Quarter(and i think that Led Zepelin AND Pink Floyd AND Tool are the the Greatest Bands on Earth)

"Zeromus is not here anymore...But he will come back!"
Old 10-14-2003, 04:28 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Ho! and i too, think that Fatman is an asshole(...With no willing to ofend you, ist just an OPINION)
Old 10-15-2003, 03:45 PM   #19
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 2459

even if no quater is Zep worst song it still is better by far than most new music now. zepplin's music was so perfect that the only way to do a cover of it is to make it completely different from the origional. no quarter is probably my favorite song on salival. i love the way that his voice starts out submerged and kinda breaks through the distortion. anyone that says zep is anything short of great music is incredibly ignorant.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:54 AM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yes, l definately respect Led Zep as mucisians, for sure. l'm just not into their style of music, l guess.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:25 PM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

I personally am the biggest Zep fan, but its good 2 c some ppl who dont like them, but still actually respect them for what they contributed and how good they actually were. That band was so tight, and altho a lot of it is really really good, I agree there is a fair chunk of zeppelin which stretches far beoynd the reaches of abnoxious.

www.explodingdog.com
www.deadnoise.tk
Old 10-17-2003, 11:31 AM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Just wondering...not meaning to be offensive, but what does that have to do with the song?

l respect them too, as l believe TOOL does, which is probably why they covered the song in the first place.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:22 AM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantobourne
I never gave Zep's version of the song much thought. I liked how the original was really 'atmospheric', with that squishy, underwater keyboard sound followed up by that twangy, box-sounding electric. Sweet shit. *as I listen to it, now*

I like the way Adam's guitar is wrapped up and so much darker. I like the way that Keenan's vocals are buried amongst the rhythm. They took the song and gave it not only a different perspective but one that really does justice and a compliment to the original. The bass line drifts through the song like heavy cigar smoke. and I love Danny's drumming bit right before the outro.

I think the original pales in comparison and that Tool has a better version, mostly because of the myth and 'personality' of Tool and their body of music. It's a personality so different from the vibe the UK's Zep was playing for all the Hobbit-meister's, Black Magik Page inductees, and bodacious 70's boo-tay *mEeP*. US West Coast Tool walked into the studio something like --27-- years later and picked up where Zep left off, rocked the house and deftly maked the orignal Zep-jam all the more memorable. Tool didn't step up and shoot 'em down, they stepped up and raised both songs to a different level.

If I was Page, Plant, Bonham, or Jones hearing Tools' version for the first time, I'd shit my pants and say, "Fuckin eh!" Then I'd throw up my thumb accompanied by a shit eating grin and a vigorous nod of my shaggy head.

-Tant

. . . "Cruisin down the street in my 6-fo'. . ."
Yeah, Tant is right... In my opinion
Old 10-23-2003, 11:48 AM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Wait...where is that thread?? l'm confused...
Old 11-01-2003, 03:59 AM   #25
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 9

Why Life? Why not life?
Old 11-04-2003, 08:34 AM   #26
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Why did Tool do a cover of Led Zeppelins - No Quarter, don't get me wrong, the tool song is great but I heard the original Led Zeppelin version of it and it is most likely the worst song I have ever heard in my whole entire life, why couldn't they cover a better song?

The reason TOOL picked NO QUARTER is the meaning of the song itself. It has a lot of references to Tolkien and Mythology. Example "dogs of doom" "winds of thor" " are some of them. The song is about our ancestors that were persucuted and killed for their beliefs, thus having NO QUARTER. " They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you" This song is a tribute to them, those that died to keep their beliefs alive. TOOL changed some of the lyrics to connect our past with the present, and took out a lot of the Tolkien references. Basically the song is about people who believe in what our ancestors died to keep alive still have NO QUARTER today. Since you are TOOL fans you should know that they are into the occult. So when you ask stupid questions like why NO QUARTER? Its the worst ZEP song I ever heard? It makes you sound stupid to real TOOL fans that know what their about. Don't over simplify them..... In this song there is a hidden message in French, why? Rennes le Chateu, if you want to know more about TOOL and their beliefs then type that into your search engine. Before you ask questions or make comments please know what the fuck your talking about and save yourself some embarressment

Last edited by Kicker23; 11-04-2003 at 09:44 AM..
Old 11-04-2003, 09:51 AM   #27
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicker23
The reason TOOL picked NO QUARTER is the meaning of the song itself. It has a lot of references to Tolkien and Mythology. Example "dogs of doom" "winds of thor" " are some of them. The song is about our ancestors that were persucuted and killed for their beliefs, thus having NO QUARTER. " They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you" This song is a tribute to them, those that died to keep their beliefs alive. TOOL changed some of the lyrics to connect our past with the present, and took out a lot of the Tolkien references. Basically the song is about people who believe in what our ancestors died to keep alive still have NO QUARTER today. Since you are TOOL fans you should know that they are into the occult. So when you ask stupid questions like why NO QUARTER? Its the worst ZEP song I ever heard? It makes you sound stupid to real TOOL fans that know what their about. Don't over simplify them..... In this song there is a hidden message in French, why? Rennes le Chateu, if you want to know more about TOOL and their beliefs then type that into your search engine. Before you ask questions or make comments please know what the fuck your talking about and save yourself some embarressment
I agree completely, Kicker. Nice job.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:14 PM   #28
Level 8 - Vociferous

bah.

the message is NOT french, and whoever told you that was just trying to feed you something to buy into, and you bought it. sheepishly. I know it's not french, because I hear it, and can hear it anytime I want, and it's all in english, I'm 98% sure not a single word is french.

I don't think tool's version is pointed at martyrs who die to keep their beliefs alive either. that's just me. Rennes Le Chateau is a separate venture from this song and other songs and I don't think just because you've read about it on the interent you are suddenly righteous and right. Or just because you tie it into the song on no line of logic whatsoever. Believe it or not, shitkicker, there is a whole nother aspect of tool and apc, plotwise, that you haven't even considered yet. Fish tend to gravitate towards the fish food though. can't blame em.

Last edited by tomatoms; 11-08-2003 at 05:17 PM..
Old 11-09-2003, 01:16 AM   #29
Banned.

Bincount™: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicker23
shut the fuck up
Old 11-09-2003, 10:48 AM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Re: Why Do You Try?

exactly
Old 11-11-2003, 01:03 AM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Yeah, HIS best. Christ man, They're one of the most influential, progressive and amazing bands ever to have existed. AND Tool owe a lot to them. I've read every single member reference either Led Zeppelin or individual members as influences. Tool's actual style of writing is akin to their's in many ways also.

I'm praying you were being sarcastic...
Old 11-11-2003, 06:32 PM   #32
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoms
bah.

the message is NOT french, and whoever told you that was just trying to feed you something to buy into, and you bought it. sheepishly. I know it's not french, because I hear it, and can hear it anytime I want, and it's all in english, I'm 98% sure not a single word is french.

I don't think tool's version is pointed at martyrs who die to keep their beliefs alive either. that's just me. Rennes Le Chateau is a separate venture from this song and other songs and I don't think just because you've read about it on the interent you are suddenly righteous and right. Or just because you tie it into the song on no line of logic whatsoever. Believe it or not, shitkicker, there is a whole nother aspect of tool and apc, plotwise, that you haven't even considered yet. Fish tend to gravitate towards the fish food though. can't blame em.
Well if its not in French then what does it say? And what are the other aspects of Tool that I haven't considered yet? Please enlighten me. If its not about our ancestors then what is it about? You point the finger acting like you know it all but really make yourself sound like a uneducated asshole. How do you know how I get my information, are you psychic? Clearly you aren't cause you definately don't know what the fuck your talking about. And what does APC have to do with this subject? TOOL and APC are 2 different bands with different directions you fucking moron. I never knew that APC remade NO QUARTER???? Please make me a copy pretty please..........Let me just say that I woulden't give a bucket of PISS FOR YOUR FUTURE. 98% isin't a 100% so when ever you get a solid foudation to lay your accusations on then let me know cause right now it's crumbling underneath your feet. By the way what your hearing is not the hidden message there are many times he wispers throughout the song and you can clearly hear it, but the hidden message is in the beginning of the instrumental. And it is French, and Rennes Le Cheteau does tie into the song. Your mind is just too clouded to see it, too bad for you. Also you need a good Sound system to hear it not your cheap pioneer/sony boom box .Hey better you then me hahahaha. Oh yeah and learn how to fucking spell you ILLITERATE RETARD before you come at me......little bitch. Look I want to help you and I'm sorry mommy and daddy never taught you how to spell so I got the perfect thing to help you with that tiny problem. Call 1-800 ABCDEFG

Last edited by Kicker23; 11-11-2003 at 06:34 PM..
Old 11-11-2003, 06:37 PM   #33
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-One-Mind
shut the fuck up
WOW YOUR SMART
Old 11-17-2003, 03:49 PM   #34
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

This all comes back to this secret message once again......

On the one hand we have someone who claims the message is in french (to which all other Tool fans have seemingly followed this as if it were the word of god)......

On the other hand we have Mr. Tomtoms here, who claims to have a "magik" button that instantly clairifys the music making it audible. He also claims Tool was spying on him, prehaps hooked up on video moniter to Maynardos Arizona mansion where mayanrd sat all day watching him, during some ordeal he had, and wrote the lyrics directly FOR Him.

I happen to believe in MY OPINION that neither of you are right. I think the message is for the time being, unsolvable. I know many people (including myself) who have attacked this with all kinds of software. Not happnin.

Now instead of arguing pointlessly over whos right and whos wrong... tomtoms.. why dont you go get a tape recorder, push the little magik button, and put this up on the internet once and for all.

Until someone shows some proof of what this is though, i believe nothing.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:24 AM   #35
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudge76
This all comes back to this secret message once again......

On the one hand we have someone who claims the message is in french (to which all other Tool fans have seemingly followed this as if it were the word of god)......

On the other hand we have Mr. Tomtoms here, who claims to have a "magik" button that instantly clairifys the music making it audible. He also claims Tool was spying on him, prehaps hooked up on video moniter to Maynardos Arizona mansion where mayanrd sat all day watching him, during some ordeal he had, and wrote the lyrics directly FOR Him.

I happen to believe in MY OPINION that neither of you are right. I think the message is for the time being, unsolvable. I know many people (including myself) who have attacked this with all kinds of software. Not happnin.

Now instead of arguing pointlessly over whos right and whos wrong... tomtoms.. why dont you go get a tape recorder, push the little magik button, and put this up on the internet once and for all.

Until someone shows some proof of what this is though, i believe nothing.
The best way to hear the hidden message is on a really high end system (mark levinson, krell, pass labs etc etc) or if you have access to a recording studio and able to use their equipment. I have heard it on my system as the background feedback is pratically zero on this set-up, it is audible and can be heard pretty well, but I could never make out what he was saying, as it sounded like a different language, like French. Determined to find out what the message was, I searched tirelessly on the internet, I came across this website loudas.com, the person who created this website, has the equiptment( studio mixers)to be able to take apart the song and only amplify the hidden message. He himself said that it was also in French. You will have to email him on this matter as his website is under construction. Oh ya, after you posted I came to realize that tomtoms is a CRACKHEAD

Last edited by Kicker23; 11-20-2003 at 11:28 AM..
Old 11-21-2003, 09:28 PM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 23

Tool's version completely destroys zeps. And No Quarter is my favorite zep song. Great song. But Tool is just a million times the band zep was. Sorry zep, maybe you should have not been so cracked out on heroin.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:23 AM   #37
Banned.

Bincount™: 19

8 times maybe, but no more than eight. Definately not a million.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:28 PM   #38
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddish
8 times maybe, but no more than eight. Definately not a million.

I'll settle for eight. I just used a million for the added effect. Hyperbole is more powerful then you think. ;)
Old 11-25-2003, 08:36 PM   #39
Level 8 - Vociferous

stem and a chore, stem and a chore.

this whole forum sucks. why should I waste my time? you people are mostly all hotheaded and full of yourselves, especially shitkicker over here. I'm one to talk though, but hey!

uhm, the message is not french, and the button is not magic, it's karaoke, but it works like magic in this instance. I'm quite sure people don't even realize that the message runs all the way up until "lock the door, Kill the light" and the button I have take away all the lead guitars before that line of words comes. Do I make shit up? Why would I? I've been on this for more than a year now, and I still have the same unshakeable foundations for my views on the music. If you don't like it, eat my shit anyway.

you are all wrong, and this thread sucks ass.

Kill yourself.
Kill your suffering.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:43 AM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissonance51765
How can you not have ever heard Zeppelin? "Stairway to Heaven"? No? It's only about the most famous ever.
lol just because its a famous song to its listeners doesnt make it a famous song for all, and just because they may have heard the song once or twice doesnt mean they'll recognise it by name. i must say im not a huge zep fan - not to say that i dont like them... its more the fact that i havent heard enough to make a potent opinion about them (unlike some others) but i do admit that stariway to heaven wasn't a bad song.

i must admit - the way tool have covered this song is nothing short of amazing, because right after i heard the tool version i immediatly hunted down the zep version. no i didnt like it, but thats almost expected because if i hear a cover first i hardly ever like the original. anyone else get that?

Quote:
you are all wrong
yea great way to finish an arguement - end it on the most persuasive way possible

Quote:
Kill yourself.
Kill your suffering.
Dude that was just poor. Possibly consider takin ur own advice - provided you havent already

"Live and Learn, provided you Live"
- Me, February 2004

Last edited by Torpid_Prey; 11-28-2003 at 02:47 AM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: