opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-11-2006, 04:56 PM   #41
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37
Re: 2006/09/09 - Phoenix, AZ - Cricket Pavilion

all I can add to this is that i was against the rail, and maynard signalled several times his voice was done. this, coupled with his pissed off attitude, really made for a poor show. but, tool's not to blame. and with maynard on the keyboard during wings, between verses, coughing HORRIBLY AND VIOLENTLY [anyone else see this?] i definitely didnt lose any respect for the band.

i feel sorry for phoenix, we're assholes.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:06 PM   #42
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

also, maynards head was noticeably bruised or cut from the bottle, for sure.
i assume it was blood/bandaged, and not bruised [that quickly, at least].
Old 09-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #43
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

screw all the people that had anything to say negative about arizona...new mexico is not even a real state there is nothing there...yeah the venue was poorly organized but the rest of you fans are also to blame..."think for yourself" if there's a east entrance there must be a west entrance (which no one used!)...maynard lives here and was more personable to us even after he got hit in the head than he has been at any show i've read about on the whole tour...and i'm slowly becoming convinced the rest of the band lives here too they clearly don't like life in LA that was for there careers i doubt any member still lives there...thats why they put LA on the sleeves sick joke as i said once before

Last edited by BigWeenie; 09-11-2006 at 07:06 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #44
Level 3 - Talker

I went to the west entrance. it was just as long as the east entrance. I listened to isis while waiting in line, from what i could hear they sounded neat. lead singer sounded good at times. then again it was all muffled because we were outside the venue. I left my house at 6:30 pm, the freeway was a mess the venue was a mess, and I got to my seat at 9:10. I live IN the valley, i wasnt traveling. took over 2 and a half hours to get to my seat.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 11:11 PM   #45
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

i left from mesa at 6, arrived at 7, got in and was seated with time to spare before isis came on just shy of 8:30.

getting outs another story. we sat in one spot and didnt see a single car move for over 15 minutes.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 11:37 PM   #46

Bincount™: 14

Well, I'm finally getting around to writing something about the show.

I had a blast!! I tailgated before the show and after, too much traffic to deal with.
Oddly, I didnt get to meet any Toolnavy people. Met one fellow Toolarmy member and that was it. Guess, I didnt try hard enough. Next time, if they come back, hope so.

The line to get in was horrible, I missed ISIS complete, that pissed me off. I like ISIS, I guess not too many people here tho. It sucked waiting, from what I could hear they sounded amazing, amazing...ly awesome. So what about the screaming vocals, ISIS' music as a whole is why I like them. The vocals just add a little something to there sounds. Hey thats just me. Hope I get to see them another time.

Finally got in, got all the requirements out of the way, t-shirt for my son, bought the big "Net of Being" poster (awesome,btw), pee'd, got another beer, and went to our seats and waited. Lots of people, I guess they actually sold out Cricket for this one. Never thought they would.

Everyone knows the setlist so I wont bother.

I really didnt mind "Fortysix & 2" with out the vocals. Just goes to show how talented the other guys are. They were awesome this night. If there were any mistakes I could tell, I'm not that picky about that kind of stuff. They're human too.

Despite the whole fuckin' water bottle incident screwing shit up and pissin' Maynard off, I think he did his best. I for one give him props for not leaving Phx hanging and trying to finish the night. Thanks Maynard. Hope the water boy got his ass handed to him!!

Sadly, no "Right in Two" or "Jambi".

Highlights...seeing Tool again. My forth show now. And my sons first!!! : )
OH and the visuals, lights, smoke and lasers. Awesome stuff. Gammage pwnd as far as sound went but the whole visualation part was unbelievable here.

Sure it didnt go off with out some problems (waterboy), Maynard not feeling all that well to sing to his potential, waterboy. I still had a blast this night with my family and some friends, and Tool!! Justin, Danny, Adam, and Maynard thanks for hangin in there and playing for us once more!! Hope we get another chance to see you play next year!!! Oh and a live DVD would be cool, too!! : )

(No band members were hurt during the writing of this post.)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 01:04 AM   #47
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

"amazing, amazing...ly awesome."

hehe, I guess you disagree with my opinion of Isis. Honestly dude I just am not into needless screaming. Why scream then your message is a beautiful on in a certain song? Wouldn't a delicately held note communicate that better? I heard the lead, he actually has a pretty nice voice, he should use it more often. Don't be afraid to scream at all, never, just use it when the situation calls for it. I guess some disagree. The thing that really bothered me about them was the thrashing bs. I have just seen that so much and for to long. Kinda like rappers just love to grab their dicks and walk like guerillas. Shit is played, was played years ago. No need to fit a stereotype to communicate your music.

I'll probably get flamed for saying that stuff but you know deep down I'm right. As talent goes I think the drummer wasn't bad I would have liked to hear some solo work. I can't bash or love them when I have no way of knowing for sure.

Last edited by begmetostay; 09-12-2006 at 01:08 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 06:51 AM   #48

It was a good show until that fuckin queer threw the bottle.

I sat in the 301 section with some assholes who kept talking throughout the show. Man i had a bad headache from all the skankweed i smelled. I dont mind good weed, but if skankweed is the best you can get and what you want people to smell... dang i feel sorry for you.

While waiting for my wife to come out of the restroom, i started talking to some guy about tickets and seating. He told me that he just bought his tickets this evening and had tickets in the 103 section 5 rows back.

Fuck i was pissed.

I dont know if i could run on faith alone to purchase tickets is what i told him. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you dont is what he had said.

I only wish we could have sat closer instead of trying to look over peoples heads in the nosebleed section.

the addition of wings and 10000 days was pretty cool. i didnt expect to hear it when we showed up there early in the evening. but once they started to play it, i didnt know if they would play the second part, then once they started playing the second part, i thought the crowd would go nuts or absolutely love it.... but no, i was a bit surprised that everyone just got up and walked out with very minimal cheering.

but then again, the majority of the people we saw out in the beer court looked like bandwagon types who only came to hear Vicarious or The Pot or whatever is being circulated on the radio.

I swear there were so many frat boys, wannabe metalheads and meatheads before the show. I heard a group of them yelling "Yeaaaa! Maynards gonna kick some ass!!!" then giving themselves high fives and sucking each other off right behind us in the lawn area.

I came to see TOOL not just Maynard, or Adam or Justin or Danny.

One thing i saw that cracked me up were the water cannons up in the lawn area, at the time i saw them drenching everyone and i didnt have an idea as to why... but after hearing that they had fires up in the lawn section...

Dumbasses.

I wouldnt be surprised if this is the last album we get from TOOL, certainly seems so with the way they are doing their tour. some sorta feelings of finality going on there...

I read somewhere on one of the other threads that they fulfilled their recording contract also, or might still have one final album left... but all in all for all we know they could just release the Live DVD and call it quits.

Hell, with all these asshole fans, i would. I wouldnt blame them.

This is just a quick post, ill probably post more later...
Old 09-13-2006, 02:31 PM   #49
Level 2 - Poster

Yo People....sounds like things could have been worse for us at our show - have any of you read the thread from the Houston show? Most of the posts are about Maynard not singing like 1/2 of the time, way too sick, want a refund, reschedule, etc.

Gotta roll with the punches I guess....

UPDATE - and now the San Antonio show has been postponed - wow.

Last edited by The_Pati3nt; 09-13-2006 at 02:33 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 02:56 PM   #50
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pati3nt View Post
Yo People....sounds like things could have been worse for us at our show - have any of you read the thread from the Houston show? Most of the posts are about Maynard not singing like 1/2 of the time, way too sick, want a refund, reschedule, etc.

Gotta roll with the punches I guess....

UPDATE - and now the San Antonio show has been postponed - wow.
Yeah when I saw the show in TX was postponed I told my wife we were lucky we got a show. And we did get to hear Wings and 10,000 days..awesome, Hope Maynard feels better.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #51
Level 1 - Lurker

I actually wrote this on Sunday (the day after the show) but getting signed up on this forum is like trying to get into Fort Knox ... what with all the confirmation I had to go through....good thing my finger prints arrived safely.

Anyway, obviously everything I have to say has been said but my twist is still worth reading :P

__________________________________________________ ________

Very good show indeed. In fact the whole thing just sorta worked out and fell onto a silver platter for me. I didn’t get my tickets until Friday afternoon (from ticketmaster) and somehow I ended up with pit tickets…go figure. So I arrive about 40 minutes late, get my tickets from the auto ticket dispensing machine, wait for my buddy to show up, jump in line, hit the head, walk down to the pit and the second I get there, they start into Stinkfist…timing couldn’t have been better. I worked my way to just left of center stage with about 5 people between me and the railing. Very awesome location, I really got to see Adam work his magic on the axe.

It hadn’t really sunk in where I was (how close) and how completely awesome the show was going to be until Stinkfist ended. By the time my brain started to process and register, the fucking cocksprocket bottle thrower pulled his shit and provided an immediate and overwhelming buzz-kill to everything going on. Maynard threw the mic stand down with some authority, stormed off stage and all I could think was…damn it, there goes the perfect evening. As mentioned before, it was kinda cool to hear the rest of The Pot instrumental, but forty-six and two was one of the songs that I really, really wanted to see / hear (along with Lateralus, Eulogy (I know not on this tour…but one can wish), and Wings/10,000 days). I was sorely disappointed at what transpired.

When Maynard returned, as one poster above mentioned, he very visibly had a large welt on the front right side of his head (did I mention that I somehow got pit tickets???...oh yeah I guess I did). When forty-six and two started he just stood at the back of the stage with his hands clasped together using his index fingers (kinda like the old church steeple thing you’d do when you were a kid), extending and retracting them to the rhythm of the song. While vaguely entertaining, that’s not what I wanted to see, especially on that song. At least he did chime in at the apex which provided a nice hair raising sensation on the back of my neck.

Speaking of that hair raising sensation, there are two spots on the 10,000 days album where I feel it every single time I listen to them… it never fails, it’s as consistent as my paying my taxes on April 14th but unfortunately I didn’t get either of them at this show. The first is in Jambi when Maynard is singing ‘so I….I…..I…..I would, I would, I would wish it all away’. The guitar in that section of the song is surreal and causes the aforementioned hair-neck-rising-sensation phenomenon. The other is in ‘Vicarious’ at the end when Maynard sings out ‘Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies…’ but alas, he did not sing it. People are chalking it up to the fact he was sick, I on the other hand am leaning more toward an ill-feeling he developed by virtue of the bottle-throwing-cockjockey.

The rest of the show was absolutely amazing. When I heard Lateralus winding up, I pulled out my cell phone to get a vid (albeit only 15 seconds) of the first clash, but like the jackhole that I am, I closed my phone and didn’t save it (uughh!)….I guess I was just too excited about Lateralus.

My throat has been on fire all day from screaming so much last night. I’m pretty sure it’s due to the fact that I’m no longer a young 20 year old buck….no instead I’m a 31 year old old-man with one foot in the grave.

One last note to scribe which was the parking lot exit strategy: I got to my car to begin the most amazing hurry-up-and-wait experience known to human kind. I was parked in the dirt lot all the way on the far south side of the venue. The gate through which I entered was on the far west side of that lot, so naturally one would think that would be a gate through which one could exit… right? The answer, made obvious by my sarcastic tone, is a resounding no and here’s my theory as to why. I’m nearly certain that the piece of shit who threw the bottle at Maynard rushed out of the show and padlocked the gate shut just to further piss the rest of the show-goers off….grrr! Back to the lot exiting strategy: So I’m sitting in my car waiting in the exact same spot for 32 minutes when finally, movement, strangely enough however, it’s headed in the direction of the locked gate. I wasn’t really sure how or why, but I was elated at the fact that my tires had made a full 360 degree revolution and didn’t give a shit so I pushed in the direction of gate lock-ed-ness. After another 36 minutes I made it far enough that I had a vantage point to see what was happening. Someone had cut the wire on the exterior border of the lot and people were driving right over the hill and curb onto the road….and I’m talking about little pos hatchbacks and shit, very amusing stuff to say the least. So my turn finally comes to make this boldy aggressive move over the hill and wouldn’t you know it, two event staff chumps come and stop all forward progression. Here’s my theory as to why: They were alerted by the cocksmoking, bottle-throwing, padlock securing fawkhead just to piss off the rest of the show-goers. By this time I was at the end of my rope with patience though (which tends to happen when you’re a 31 year old geriatric person), and I elected to make this bold move even bolder by skirting right past the event chumps and busting right through.

All and all, a very eventful evening and a great time. Not the best show I’ve ever seen, but Jane’s Addiction in Las Vegas set the bar very high. I would go out on a limb and say that Tool is a better band and I enjoy their music more than JA, but JA really put on a great show.

Thanks Tool for coming, and please do return!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

Not a bad show, but the bottle to the head brought the energy down like an unfed diabetic. This is the first time I had seen maynard minus the speedo/ body paint, and gay as it seems, even to me, i was disappointed. The opening song "The pot" showed Maynard giving his usual entertaining "dance moves" which ceased after contact with the bottle. I think the best part was when Maynard repeated the line "Fuck all you junkies, and fuck your short memories" three times instead of alternating, and I see that the reson behind that was lost on the dumb fucks in this thread. Think about the last line you J.O.'s "fuck your short memories" he repeated it because he was playing off of the lyrics. It was intentional. Show gets 5/10.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #53
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

My 3rd tool show. Great show. Didnt think maynard sounded that bad. I was pretty close and i could've sworn it was a glow stick that hit him. I could be wrong though. maybe just an illuminated bottle.

Why is everyone here so anti-mosh-pit? I didn't and don't partake but i do like to jump around like an idiot during shows. It's fun and it's a good release of energy. im assuming people in mosh pits do it for the same reasons. What's wrong with that? and i dont see how the mosh pit effects u if ur not in it.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #54
Level 7 - Loquacious

I saw people moshing to wings. WINGS! People like me could see it and it detracts from the mood. What was the thinking?

Lets mosh to a generally slow song that is about maynards dead mom! PARTY ON DUDES!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #55
Level 2 - Poster

Burrito, great review. Sorry to hear about the whole trying to leave thing. I, on the other hand, had no problem leaving. See I didn't leave until about 1:45am due to the fact that I had to help tear down the show afterwards. But I can picture the look on the event staff guys faces as you roared past them! HAHAHA
But before the fire, you die from fright."
Larry Smit - 1999
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

Alright just to warn you, my post is going to be out of the norm.

call me a heretic- I could care less.

I got a couple really sweet pictures on my camera phone, email me at [email protected] if you want links to them- I've never seen anyone post pictures in these review threads so I'm sure there's a forum rule floating around there not allowing direct linking of pictures in posts.

*currently my phone is being retarded- if you email me it may take a while for me to get you the pictures.

Well first of all to Edgar (who flew to London just to see Tool) and Abe (was tripping just off the music) I give you guys 10 brownie points. I hope you're reading this.

Secondly to all Tool fans out there, I think it's hilarious when I hear most of you saying whoever threw the water bottle should burn in hell when many of you are responsible for dumping your crap all over the parking lot like animals. Way to make the world a better place... I'll get back to Maynard though.

I've been a Tool fan for about 3 years, enough of a Tool fan to literally get a runner's high type buzz after curling up and listening to 10,000 days all the way through for the first time. This was my very first Tool show, and my second big concert ever so please forgive my noobishness ;)

I was so happy waiting in line when I heard the 98.whatever phoenix rock radio announcer saying "We're here at the SOLD OUT Tool concert". That's when my blood started running. We got into the pit like 5 minutes before Isis started playing (early), and after one song we sat down to save our energy for Tool and the pit was only 1/4 full at that time (I regretted sitting down though- that second song they played, towards the end of it- was insane)

Anyway so Isis dropped the mic and we took our place about 2 people back from the railing. Tool was about 20 minutes late coming out and it was pure torture.

Me and my brother started the clap and chant that got pretty big but died out in a minute- the roadies weren't done doing sound-checks and stuff. Even though it was torture I had some good chats with the aforementioned Edgar dude and Abe, who told me the real scoop on CoacHELLa a little more in-depth than the reviews I read here. The roadies took the black cloth off of Danny's Magic Machine, and the crowd went nuts, although I'm sure it's nothing compared to the thunder at Coachella.

So we here some mad bass descend upon us like a THX ad, and the stage is completely lit by blacklights. All four members walked out at the same time and put on their weapons of choice with Maynard lagging behind a little. He took of his hat and ATF jacket and got up to the mic, and said

Maynard: "Hey it's my friend eddie's birthday today"
pit: all different variants of "yeah eddie!"
Maynard: "so on the count of three I want you all to say, 'Eddie, you're a fucking idiot' "
I assume you all can guess what happened.

Anyway Adam and Justin started winding up and when Stinkfist hit us, the screens behind Maynard and Danny lit up radioactive green, a pretty cool contrast change coming straight from all blacklights. I've seen much better performances of Stinkfist on the web, but Maynard's voice was lacking already.

So then the lights changed and the visuals changed to rippling blue smoke, Maynard sung the line "Who are you to wave your finger" and turned the mic to the audience (who wasn't ready) the band repeated for the hiccup, and they continued with "you musta been out your head"

somewhere in the middle of that was where Maynard got nailed in the head by someone in the back of the pit with (what looked like at the time) a gaffer's tape ball (anyone here who has worked on a stage before, knows what those are) but all I really know was that it was black and roundish from our angle. Maynard didn't seem to recoil that hard from it and it bounced off like a ball (which is why I thought it was a tape ball at that point). He slammed the mic stand on the ground and stomped off behind stage while the rest of the band completed the song without lyrics. Who knows- maybe Maynard needed a good smack to the head for karma even though it was definitely uncalled for.

Some idiots on our left and our right where moshing, so to protect my best friend (small 5'1" girl) me and my brother sandwiched her and moved to the back of the pit where it was safer. I swear- the moshers there only moshed just to do it, they didn't even have a correlation to the intensity of the music. They'd just back up to the wall take a huge drag off their friends joint and went back in to their animalistic games. tool is no doubt awesome, but go to a Slipknot concert you intoxicated imbeciles.

Anyway the band finished The Pot and Maynard came out midway into Forty Six & Two. I distinctly remember 46&2 being pretty much devoid of lyrics because my brother (who has really heard nothing of Tool) bent over and said "I bet this song is a lot better with lyrics."

After Maynard the song he said something to the fact of

"Thanks for the water bottle, that was great"
(crowd boos whoever threw the bottle)
"I took a little break there, that was nice"
"Someone needs to find a new way to express their fucking excitement."

Schism came, Not much to say about that besides the fact that Maynard was not performing 100%.

Rosetta Stoned came out of the buzz, I was so psyched, my favorite part of the song (8:38 on the album) and my favorite snippet of Tool ever that can put me in a coma was coming up, but it came, and went- Maynard could scream but there was no power behind his voice at all for the "overwhelmed as one would be..." I was so let down- I would have sold my soul to hear just that snippet done proper live.

Well, crushed as I was, Adam starting picking away at the silent part of Lateralus and I knew this would resurrect the performance. The song slammed down upon us like an airliner hit the crowd, which is where the show upgraded from just visuals on the various screens to smoke and lasers. It was almost as pleasing to see how the lasers landed on the pavilion steel structure behind/above us than watching the show in front of us.

Short of the long, Lateralus was the best hit of the night.

Next, surprisingly, came Vicarious, which rocked despite the lack of power behind the final line "Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies...much better you than I." which Faltering (great review btw) missed as well :(

After that he talked about how whenever they stop through AZ they go through LA first

"I think I'm allergic to that city"

and went on to say he was sick. Why else in hell would you wear a black jacket on a hot stage in Phoenix anyway...

"I think I have a solution though- we all need to pray for an earthquake"

and with that, Ænima hit us. I'm not a fan, and I won't comment because I'm sure you all don't want to hear negativity.

I think it was after this we heard "Goodnight" and "I'm going to go and jack off to Comedy Central"

After this I don't recall much, we though it was over so the 3 of us went through with our plan and left the pit to beat the crowd. We hung around in the pathway between sections because getting out of the pit was half the victory. Before we knew it, we looked around and everyone had a lighter out. I took a picture of that too. Far more lighters where out then the Damion Marly/Ben Harper concert at Dodge Theatre that I went to, and even better then the pure volume of flames, the lighters outnumbered cell phones 10 to 1. So many where out that the roof of the pavilion was visibly lit up. There where SO MANY people there- I didn't even get to see how many people where up on the lawn. It was also the largest crowd feedback of the entire night- the place was one giant roar.

We hung out in the pathway, wondering if the show was over, and I really can't remember much up to the point that Wings for Marie started.

Personally that was a let down. There is no way Wings Part 1 and 2 could have been that bad Live. It had to be the fact that I was pampered by the audio quality in the pit. It had to be. The whole time I was listening I imagined myself back in my office with the same songs cranked on my surround sound system. Had I known those where the very last songs of the night and how bad they where, I would have left. We stuck around because I was hoping to God they'd play Right in Two. Missing Jambi (Dim my eyes!!!!) was a bummer being one of my top 5 favorite songs, but Right in Two would have totally turned that concert around.

I'll give Tool the benefit of the doubt and recognize that the songs probably rock live with the right seat and Maynard not being sick- but that won't prevent the fact that I would have rather gotten out of the parking lot sooner (we where lucky- it only took us about 15 minutes) than having to stay for the last songs. The standing ovation with the lighters would have been a much better ending for the night.

We where there long enough to see Danny throwing his sticks into the pit, frisbee'ing drum skins into the audience behind the pit, and Adam tossing normal clear water bottles into the back-left of the pit where the notorious throw originated from. (He should have chucked them instead of his lofty toss- that would have been far more hilarious)

Sorry to leave you on a negative tone, (refer back to Lateralus)

Oh well, definitely worth the 3 free pit tickets I got :P
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 09:23 PM   #57

Bincount™: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by begmetostay View Post
"amazing, amazing...ly awesome."

hehe, I guess you disagree with my opinion of Isis. Honestly dude I just am not into needless screaming. Why scream then your message is a beautiful on in a certain song? Wouldn't a delicately held note communicate that better? I heard the lead, he actually has a pretty nice voice, he should use it more often. Don't be afraid to scream at all, never, just use it when the situation calls for it. I guess some disagree. The thing that really bothered me about them was the thrashing bs. I have just seen that so much and for to long. Kinda like rappers just love to grab their dicks and walk like guerillas. Shit is played, was played years ago. No need to fit a stereotype to communicate your music.

I'll probably get flamed for saying that stuff but you know deep down I'm right. As talent goes I think the drummer wasn't bad I would have liked to hear some solo work. I can't bash or love them when I have no way of knowing for sure.

No hard feelings yO!! I just really like ISIS and it sucked that I missed them due to the entrance lines. I do blame myself also tho, for wait longer than I should have but I was with friends and family. I will check them out whenever they get anywhere near AZ, thats for sure!

We all had a good time, most of us at least. I'm glad our Phx show wasnt canceled like the other Texas show or hear an almost instrumental only show @ like at The Woodlands in Texas also. So yeah, I feel very fortunate to have seen Tool once again!!

Thanks again Tool!! I hope to see you guys again soon!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 11:10 PM   #58

Bincount™: 31
Shine On Forever

The word "professional" is hardly ever used anymore regarding performers, but Maynard and the rest of the band really assumed the title as they stepped up and ground out a very good show with a decent setlist Saturday night in Phoenix. I have nothing but the highest regard for these guys who, after what must have been an extended illness-caused delay, took the stage at 9:20 p.m. and immediately owned it.

Maynard was obviously ill from the get go, but the band was like a machine in the best possible sense of the word - nothing could knock it from its rails. Maynard loses his voice, sits out part of Stinkfist and Vicarious, takes one in the head, leaves and the band flies on. It was like watching ascended jazz masters like Don Cherry and Charlie Haden communicate telepahtically and keep the grooves going - that's musicianship, my friends. I have a new respect for the boys. My 9-almost 10-year old son did say, "I came to see some singing, not just playing, dad", but he was stunned by the Lateralus light show after the Return of Maynard, which he called the best o f the evening with its old school 1970s lasers and ratty hanging lights at the back of the stage that stuck me as a comment on the refined seamlessness of the LED curtain behind U2 on the Vertigo tour last year.

Other fans, parking, security - that's the rock music venue of the early 21st century, isn't it? You guys have not seen shitty ingress and egress until you have the ill fortune or bad judgment to go to the Jounal Pavillion in Albuquerque, as we in NM have to do for NIN or other shows. Sound at Cricket was great (unlike at the cow palace known as Tingley coliseum in ABQ for the Lateralus tour w/Meshuggah). I was in the grass with my boy, loving the moon over the venue, watching the various dramas around me, and enjoyed the hell out of myself. That intellectual metal guy with the Rasta hat and his cool ladyfriend in black who was pissed at missing Isis while standing in line were way cool, too. I missed Wings and 10,00 days at the end, but I had a tired kid and wanted to beat traffic. (Had it been Jambi, Right in Two and the second half of Intension I may have engaged in some on the spot bribery or intimidation, however.) Even on an off night, Tool are one of the great bands of our time and I was definately enriched by taking a boys-only road trip from Santa Fe for the show (SW airlines rules). Hopefully I won the Powerball tonight and can swing a few more shows this tour.

Glad to be on the forum finally.

The Rak
A Native American guy, but not the one backstage someone was axin' about
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #59
Level 4 - Thinker

Does anyone know what was going at the front of the aisle between sections 203 & 204 during Wings? I think a bunch of dumbfucks decided to rush the gate that only people in the "VIP" section could get through. I had my eyes closed and was zoning out to the music, when I heard a commotion and saw a big group of people shoving against a gate that a bunch of security people were pushing back on. Just wondering if anyone else saw this and knew wtf they were trying to do. They almost ruined Wings for me, the song I came to see, but I just shut my eyes and ignored all that b.s.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-14-2006, 11:37 AM   #60
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaine View Post
Does anyone know what was going at the front of the aisle between sections 203 & 204 during Wings? I think a bunch of dumbfucks decided to rush the gate that only people in the "VIP" section could get through. I had my eyes closed and was zoning out to the music, when I heard a commotion and saw a big group of people shoving against a gate that a bunch of security people were pushing back on. Just wondering if anyone else saw this and knew wtf they were trying to do. They almost ruined Wings for me, the song I came to see, but I just shut my eyes and ignored all that b.s.
You hit the nail on the head my friend. DUMBFUCKS! They thought they could get through security.
But before the fire, you die from fright."
Larry Smit - 1999
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-14-2006, 05:29 PM   #61
Level 4 - Thinker

This was my third Tool show and regardless of the problems I honestly had one of the greatest spiritual experiences at a show since the last time I saw Bob Dylan. I know there were issues and we all expect a lot more out of Tool than other acts but considering the circumstances, we were lucky to get a show at all. I'm sure I've not felt as sick as Maynard and refused to go to my stupid fucking office job at a college enrolling students because I felt rotten. (I'm working on becoming a professional artist at the time... I guess I'll see what comes of it. I'm really at the end of my wits making some rich scumbag even richer.) I applaud Maynard for doing what he did, especially considering that worthless swine that decided to show some love by doing damage to him. The band was spot-on, as always, and seeing things the way we did was interesting to say the least. Who on earth can blame a person who is bearing their heart and soul to thousands of people for walking off for a moment when someone shows that much disrespect? And from the words of those close, Maynard was hurt pretty badly. Wings/10000 Days was especially moving and I barely said a word the rest of the night. My friends who were my ride dragged me to Mill Ave. for a beer and I think I said three words because I was perplexed that anyone would want to go to hang out in that kind of mediocrity after seeing a band inspiring us to not be a part of that low-life atmosphere. All in all, I'm still feeling the changes from that show and I thank Tool for not just being a band that plays good music, but also makes you consider your place in life. After seeing the encore I decided to get a bit closer to my own mother again and for that I'm forever thankful. I don't know if the guys read these, but if so, thanks for giving me a positive impact. I'm sure my mother would tell you the same if she could.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-14-2006, 05:29 PM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

My 4th Tool show, I cant add much of anything after reading the other post. It seems we all have about the same opinion. I left wanting more and I was a little sad it came to an end. I always feel that way after a Tool show. I stood in the lawn section and noticed many people completely wasted. I thought " what a waste" These people wont even remember the show the next day. The full moon hanging over the pavillion added a great effect. I think Maynard must have had a hand in that. Lateralus kicked major ass and 10,000 days was a great way to end. Even tho I really wanted to hear Right in Two, maybe next time.
It wasnt the best Tool show, but I will take Tool over any other band any day of the week.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-14-2006, 05:50 PM   #63
Level 2 - Poster

KUPD said those responsibe for the water bottle incident were two teenagers who hopped the venue gates, ran to the lower section and fulfilled their duty as cocksuckers and threw the botte (although it looked like something else being i was front and center in the pit against the rail). Anyway I wanted to let you all know that these parasites were indeed arrested.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #64
Level 3 - Talker

I had vip tix, went in the vip bar, vip parking and vip service, thanks cricket,
maynard you could sing nursery rhymes and i would not care...I love you.
my 11th show, old friends, good times, an the best show I've ever attended
thanks.
Dangeruss PHX AZ.

Last edited by Dear Brena; 09-14-2006 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: edit
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-14-2006, 08:37 PM   #65
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynohmike View Post
This was my third Tool show and regardless of the problems I honestly had one of the greatest spiritual experiences at a show since the last time I saw Bob Dylan. I know there were issues and we all expect a lot more out of Tool than other acts but considering the circumstances, we were lucky to get a show at all.

Wings/10000 Days was especially moving and I barely said a word the rest of the night.

All in all, I'm still feeling the changes from that show and I thank Tool for not just being a band that plays good music, but also makes you consider your place in life.
Wow, so many great points. It's refreshing to read a post like this where regardless of the problems you got so much out of the concert. I can't agree with your words more. This was my 4th Tool show, and 3rd this year. While some things detracted from Saturday's, they just didn't matter at all... I just left thinking about how much I love Tool. For me their music resonates with the deepest of life's emotions, from the darkest and most seething all the way to the transcendent and most beautiful, so I find their concerts to be an unexplainable and otherworldly experience. This show was no exception. The intensity of the sound, the visuals, seeing these men in person after only hearing them all these years, and Lateralus live--what could possibly compare to that? Plus I got to hear Wings, finally. That's my favorite song on 10,000 Days and their performance completely blew me away. That song was why I decided to go to this show at the last minute, even though I'd just seen them in Oakland (besides, who can see too many Tool concerts?). When I heard they'd started to play Wings and that they happened to be in Phoenix the same day I flew into AZ to visit family, I just had to go. I was lucky to get a good seat on the afternoon before the show through ticketmaster, so perhaps that great evening was meant to be. Anyways, like you, I didn't have much of anything to say and was in a completely different emotional space that I can't really explain when the show was over. In fact, it's still hanging with me. Wings is so intense and personal that I don't know how Maynard can play it publicly. Especially on Saturday after being beaned in the head by a complete asshole and being sick. That song has also had a strong impact on my relationship with my mom, as well inspired thoughts about life in general and what we do with the time we have here. I too wish I could somehow express my gratitude to the guys for what they've brought to my life. But thanks for the post, glad you enjoyed the concert. I hope they tour more next year.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #66
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsCuming View Post
You hit the nail on the head my friend. DUMBFUCKS! They thought they could get through security.
That's what I figured, and yup, there's no word to better describe them. WTF were they thinking?? And acting like that during a song like Wings... dumbfucks.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

HEADLINE: Phx, AZ - Cowboy Keenan herds his cattle and feeds them feces.

Kids, don't be fooled. This was not a good show. Maynard sabotaged an otherwise beautiful evening in the Valley of the Sun. It started out bad, became uncomfortable and later, downright embarrassing.

MJK threw his mic down during The Pot, 2nd song after Stinkfist. He then ran off in a hissy. Apparently, someone threw a water bottle on stage. That's right, someone maybe less neurotic than the singer, in an excited moment, lost the leash on his pesonal hydration device!

Maynard proceeded to dish out his punishment for this innocuous act throughout the rest of the short show. It appears that the boys cut a few songs compared to some of the other set lists I've seen. The singer decided to stop attempting to entertainment us during the next song, Forty-Six & 2. He just stood there - quiet. It was the best song of the night! The crew was dead-on and rocked the house.

After angrily flipping off the crowd, Maynard gave it another shot. He missed the target completely. He was simply going through the motions. He left out many lines and his range was lackluster. I think he forgot his own lyrics during one number. Other posts were accurate. He sang the 'Tattoo' line three times in Ænima. He also decided to skip the climactic last few lines of Vicarious. Yes, you heard correctly. It was quite pathetic.

The rest of the guys had their moments, tight and cohesive at times. But the acoustics were muffled, particularly with the vocals. Their last two tours sounded crisp with very few mistakes in my opinion. Maynard definitely detracted from the obvious brilliance of the real performers here.

They did not play Sober or Right in Two. The latter would have been great without the 'monkey' vocals. The set looked like a bad Vegas show, with the requisite Rock-n-Roll smoke 'n mirrors, spinning lights, and pretty lasers. Large screens cycled vintage trippy videos, a la Adam.

In the end, The Prima Donna offered to butcher one more song 'if we were good'. He earlier offered up an excuse to cover his flaming narcicism. 'I got sick in LA', he said, 'so I need to take some Sudafed'. Thanks for the info there, egoboy. Your blatant aggression and disrespect for the people who pay your bills sends a message that's loud and clear. You crave alienation. Sheriff Joe ought to slap Keenan's white cowboy hat crowned piehole holder on a piece of parchment with bold caption: WANTED: For (1) ROBBING thousands of a day's wages and (2) KILLING the sprit of Rock-n-Roll !

Take heed. Art is subjective and some people are masochists.

Shameful.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 03:13 PM   #68
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrodelawasp View Post
I think you'll find those were drum skins, mate. They don't just dish out their top secret hover frisbees to anyone, you know...
Hahahah, yeah, this was brought to my attention, but thanks for letting me know.

And yeah, I should hope that their top secret hover frisbees are saved for the most special of occassions. o_o;
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 03:49 PM   #69
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen Feuer View Post

Next, surprisingly, came Vicarious, which rocked despite the lack of power behind the final line "Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies...much better you than I." which Faltering (great review btw) missed as well :(
Oh, and how I missed it. =(

Great review yourself. =)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #70
Level 1 - Lurker

man everybody was excited because they played 10,000 days for the first time in L.A.- when really the first guys to hear Right in Two will be the luckiest.

I just put the song on- those first few notes send chills up my spine...

anyway guys on Monday I'm going to go load up my checking account and go to the cell phone place and figure out how bad Verizon screwed me over with my camera phone, all you people that emailed me- you'll get them soon enough whether I have to pay through my nose or hack my cell phone.

all you peeps that wanted the pics-

http://www.eisenfeuer.com/forum/view...asc&highlight=
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #71
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool concert and while I was slightly disappointed with all the issues that night, I had an amazing time. Despite the lacking vocals from Maynard, the music coming from the stage was entrancing.

To finally witness Danny live was a thrill in itself. Having been a drummer myself, I am a sucker for a drumming virtuoso such as him. While some people may hate drum solos, I would have killed to see him do one.

Thanks for the great show Tool and I really hope we can see you back soon in full health!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: