Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2007
User Name
Password
jaced
12-11-2007, 10:15 PM

This review of the Tool show at Los Angeles’ Nokia Theater on December 10, 2007 isn’t going to be about sound quality, amazing laser shows, set list reminders, or crowd reactions. You can find lots of that reading elsewhere. My review focuses on the more narrow topic of the actual jam itself. I’ll try to keep it short and sweet, but I can’t make any promises.

The Los Angeles gig was a homecoming of sorts for Tool, who calls our city their hometown. It goes without saying that such a show, as an unsaid rule, demands the band to bring it on, blow the doors out, and kill it. Because it’s important. Not only for them, but for their hometown neighbors who’ve spent absurd amounts of money to get into the one and only sold-out L.A. gig.

While the performance was wowing, it really wasn’t anything new for a Tool show. Tool shows are always wowing. These guys could cover Boys of Summer and blow everybody’s mind. My problem was the set list, and the other factors that literally defined it. As I write this, I just realized that the set list actually echoes some of my initially negative reactions to the 10,000 Days release last year. It’s an album with about four good songs on it. Vicarious, Jambi, The Pot, and Rosetta Stoned. The rest of the tracks are easily skippable, unless you’re high out in the garage lying on the couch closing your eyes with headphones.

Last I saw Tool was at their legendary Wiltern gig in August of 2001 on the Lateralus tour. I didn’t catch Tool here in L.A. back in September of 2006, but my understanding is that the set list was virtually the same as what we saw last night. Had this been the second time seeing Tool for me this tour, I’d probably be more vocal about what I saw last night.

The show is incredibly produced, which has an undeniable wowing quality that gives concert-goers something to talk about afterwards. Videos. Lasers. Lights. Fog. All that good stuff, sans the cliche explosives. That’s all fine and good, but here’s my opinion:

The live show is becoming a contradiction to the essence of the live Tool experience. With so many rigid technical factors in place, the live show has evolved into a mechanical handicap to the ultra-expressive quality of Tool’s art. This video needs to play here. This laser needs to shine there, at this moment. The fog needs to start here, and end here. The purple lights need to play on this song. And so on. It’s all computerized, meticulously rehearsed, and, well, sorta canned.

There was once a band that wrote a song called Lateralus, with an album by the same name. The underlying theme of the piece, found in the lyrics, the mathematics of the music, the artwork, and the implications of the metaphors, were to approach life laterally. Fuck the linear, fuck the norm. Draw outside the lines. As a matter of fact, fuck the lines. There are no lines. Spiral out. Embrace the random. Embrace whatever may come. Ride that spiral to the end, and we may just go where noone’s been. Be your own person. Think outside the box.

That band was Tool.

I would’ve liked to see Tool take a page from their own book and put it to use. Apply it to 2007. If the lasers and videos and fog machines are making things a little too creatively limiting, THEN THEY’VE OFFICIALLY BECOME A PROBLEM. It’s gotten to the point where the icing is controlling the cake. Time to lose the lasers and the video footage and fog machines. At least for a while. Try turning ‘em off for thirty minutes in the middle of the set, light some candles, and just fucking JAM. See what happens. Who knows, maybe they’ll play The Patient. Or Aenema. Or The Grudge. Or Parabola. Or Eulogy. I’m pretty sure lots of these folks will survive the rest of their lives without feeling robbed that they didn’t revisit the indulgent Wings of Marie 10,000 Days thirty minute opus that they ALREADY SAT THROUGH LAST YEAR.

And really. How can you not play The Pot in 2007? Unthinkable.

Hey Tool, you know we love you guys. But next time try something new. Take us where noone’s been. Not even you.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #41
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Dec 10 Los Angeles, CA Nokia Theater

This review of the Tool show at Los Angeles’ Nokia Theater on December 10, 2007 isn’t going to be about sound quality, amazing laser shows, set list reminders, or crowd reactions. You can find lots of that reading elsewhere. My review focuses on the more narrow topic of the actual jam itself. I’ll try to keep it short and sweet, but I can’t make any promises.

The Los Angeles gig was a homecoming of sorts for Tool, who calls our city their hometown. It goes without saying that such a show, as an unsaid rule, demands the band to bring it on, blow the doors out, and kill it. Because it’s important. Not only for them, but for their hometown neighbors who’ve spent absurd amounts of money to get into the one and only sold-out L.A. gig.

While the performance was wowing, it really wasn’t anything new for a Tool show. Tool shows are always wowing. These guys could cover Boys of Summer and blow everybody’s mind. My problem was the set list, and the other factors that literally defined it. As I write this, I just realized that the set list actually echoes some of my initially negative reactions to the 10,000 Days release last year. It’s an album with about four good songs on it. Vicarious, Jambi, The Pot, and Rosetta Stoned. The rest of the tracks are easily skippable, unless you’re high out in the garage lying on the couch closing your eyes with headphones.

Last I saw Tool was at their legendary Wiltern gig in August of 2001 on the Lateralus tour. I didn’t catch Tool here in L.A. back in September of 2006, but my understanding is that the set list was virtually the same as what we saw last night. Had this been the second time seeing Tool for me this tour, I’d probably be more vocal about what I saw last night.

The show is incredibly produced, which has an undeniable wowing quality that gives concert-goers something to talk about afterwards. Videos. Lasers. Lights. Fog. All that good stuff, sans the cliche explosives. That’s all fine and good, but here’s my opinion:

The live show is becoming a contradiction to the essence of the live Tool experience. With so many rigid technical factors in place, the live show has evolved into a mechanical handicap to the ultra-expressive quality of Tool’s art. This video needs to play here. This laser needs to shine there, at this moment. The fog needs to start here, and end here. The purple lights need to play on this song. And so on. It’s all computerized, meticulously rehearsed, and, well, sorta canned.

There was once a band that wrote a song called Lateralus, with an album by the same name. The underlying theme of the piece, found in the lyrics, the mathematics of the music, the artwork, and the implications of the metaphors, were to approach life laterally. Fuck the linear, fuck the norm. Draw outside the lines. As a matter of fact, fuck the lines. There are no lines. Spiral out. Embrace the random. Embrace whatever may come. Ride that spiral to the end, and we may just go where noone’s been. Be your own person. Think outside the box.

That band was Tool.

I would’ve liked to see Tool take a page from their own book and put it to use. Apply it to 2007. If the lasers and videos and fog machines are making things a little too creatively limiting, THEN THEY’VE OFFICIALLY BECOME A PROBLEM. It’s gotten to the point where the icing is controlling the cake. Time to lose the lasers and the video footage and fog machines. At least for a while. Try turning ‘em off for thirty minutes in the middle of the set, light some candles, and just fucking JAM. See what happens. Who knows, maybe they’ll play The Patient. Or Aenema. Or The Grudge. Or Parabola. Or Eulogy. I’m pretty sure lots of these folks will survive the rest of their lives without feeling robbed that they didn’t revisit the indulgent Wings of Marie 10,000 Days thirty minute opus that they ALREADY SAT THROUGH LAST YEAR.

Hey Tool, you know we love you guys. But next time try something new. Take us where noone’s been. Not even you.
OFFLINE |  
SterileEyes
12-11-2007, 10:23 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you.

In my review on the previous page of this thread I wasn't 'nitpicking every little thing' as someone suggested (someone who was just seeing Tool for the first time, go figure).

I'm a big fan, I've seen them 3x this tour and in '01 as well.

I wish Tool were more like the bands that play a radically different set every night and have fans that follow them around the country wondering what surprises they'll get at each show - Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews, Queens of the Stone Age, Guns N' Roses in their prime, Chili Peppers to some extent, any "jam band" (which I think Tool is in many ways), Dream Theater (and if Dream Theater can learn 40 songs before they go on tour, certainly Tool can), Primus, etc.

Tool's visuals are a part of their art, and I applaud Adam for being so dedicated. But when it handicaps them to 15 songs for 2 years (that's 10 per night with the 4 or 5 different ones they've done on occasion - Pushit, Flood, Right In Two, Sober, Opiate)...it makes me feel like they're 'wearing the bare minimum 15 pieces of flair' to put it in Office Space terms. Or it's like seeing the same Broadway show over and over or something.

Even though the show was flawless for what it was, I still get the vibe that by playing the same show every night they're "phoning it in" and getting a little too comfortable to some extent. Especially when "changing the setlist" for Tool basically means...dropping The Pot and Aenima. My criticism is just that they're Tool and I feel like they could milk their catalogue a bit more. That's it. I still love the band and I'll see them everytime, and it's just my opinion..

CLICK THAT LINK TO HEAR MY COVER OF "THE GRUDGE"!

Last edited by SterileEyes; 12-11-2007 at 10:35 PM..
Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #42
Level 4 - Thinker

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you.

In my review on the previous page of this thread I wasn't 'nitpicking every little thing' as someone suggested (someone who was just seeing Tool for the first time, go figure).

I'm a big fan, I've seen them 3x this tour and in '01 as well.

I wish Tool were more like the bands that play a radically different set every night and have fans that follow them around the country wondering what surprises they'll get at each show - Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews, Queens of the Stone Age, Guns N' Roses in their prime, Chili Peppers to some extent, any "jam band" (which I think Tool is in many ways), Dream Theater (and if Dream Theater can learn 40 songs before they go on tour, certainly Tool can), Primus, etc.

Tool's visuals are a part of their art, and I applaud Adam for being so dedicated. But when it handicaps them to 15 songs for 2 years (that's 10 per night with the 4 or 5 different ones they've done on occasion - Pushit, Flood, Right In Two, Sober, Opiate)...it makes me feel like they're 'wearing the bare minimum 15 pieces of flair' to put it in Office Space terms. Or it's like seeing the same Broadway show over and over or something.

Even though the show was flawless for what it was, I still get the vibe that by playing the same show every night they're "phoning it in" and getting a little too comfortable to some extent. Especially when "changing the setlist" for Tool basically means...dropping The Pot and Aenima. My criticism is just that they're Tool and I feel like they could milk their catalogue a bit more. That's it. I still love the band and I'll see them everytime, and it's just my opinion..

Last edited by SterileEyes; 12-11-2007 at 10:35 PM..
OFFLINE |  
EyesOfAFallenAngel's Avatar EyesOfAFallenAngel
12-11-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMolyRavioli View Post
Vicarious was awesome. Loved to hear Maynard sing the last line.
Just realized I captured that :D

+1 Eoafa. end thread/ -Kelly
Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 PM   #43
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3227

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMolyRavioli View Post
Vicarious was awesome. Loved to hear Maynard sing the last line.
Just realized I captured that :D

OFFLINE |  
bent's Avatar bent
12-12-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaced View Post

That band was Tool.

I'm sorry. . . but this is just about the most narcissistic self-indulgent crap review I've ever read of anything anywhere in my whole life.

Tool doesn't need to "JAM". YOU need to take LOTS of drugs or go skydiving with a nice chute failure or perhaps get attacked by a large dog. Something to sit you down and engender a touch of humility.

Yes Tool, what you need to do is get rid of that pesky show and all of that obnoxious rigidity and get back to the days when you just JAMMED on songs like The Grudge and Eulogy. You know. . . like Phish! God help us.

The show was phenomenal. Period. A natural development of everything that has come before in past tours both musically and theatrically. Truly something to see for our time. No one out there is doing it better in terms of authenticity and singularity of vision.

If you missed it, then there's good news. . . it's only getting better and better. I can't wait for next time.

If you didn't GET IT, or perhaps you're disappointed in the set list, then I have bad news for you. It's only getting better and better and you're STILL not gonna get it or LIKE the set list or Maynard's position on stage or Adam's lack of movement or whatever else it is you long for. But hey, I hear Night Ranger's still touring!
Old 12-12-2007, 02:05 AM   #44
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

That band was Tool.

I'm sorry. . . but this is just about the most narcissistic self-indulgent crap review I've ever read of anything anywhere in my whole life.

Tool doesn't need to "JAM". YOU need to take LOTS of drugs or go skydiving with a nice chute failure or perhaps get attacked by a large dog. Something to sit you down and engender a touch of humility.

Yes Tool, what you need to do is get rid of that pesky show and all of that obnoxious rigidity and get back to the days when you just JAMMED on songs like The Grudge and Eulogy. You know. . . like Phish! God help us.

The show was phenomenal. Period. A natural development of everything that has come before in past tours both musically and theatrically. Truly something to see for our time. No one out there is doing it better in terms of authenticity and singularity of vision.

If you missed it, then there's good news. . . it's only getting better and better. I can't wait for next time.

If you didn't GET IT, or perhaps you're disappointed in the set list, then I have bad news for you. It's only getting better and better and you're STILL not gonna get it or LIKE the set list or Maynard's position on stage or Adam's lack of movement or whatever else it is you long for. But hey, I hear Night Ranger's still touring!
OFFLINE |  
afsocwes
12-12-2007, 02:20 AM

Even though the show was flawless for what it was, I still get the vibe that by playing the same show every night they're "phoning it in" and getting a little too comfortable to some extent.

I couldn’t agree more. This was my 6th show on the 10.00 days tour. And it was like watching the same movie for the 6th time. Don’t get me wrong. I love Tool. But please the same 10 songs for every show? When I saw them in Fort Lauderdale for the 2nd time on the Lateralus Tour. They played Ticks and Leaches.

My best show of this tour. Was in August of 2006 in Hawaii. 900 hundred people. Small ass stage. No lasers. Good lighting on Maynard. Kick ass set list. Sober, The Pot and Opiate.

With the best opening of any concert ive been too. The auditorium had a dark curtain. So you couldn’t see anything going on stage. So the lights go out. Just as Adam starts the feedback on Stinkfist. Its pitch black for about 20 seconds. The lights came back on just as the first riff of Stinkfist starts playing. Unbelievable. The music was loud. You could not hear yourself scream. Not like last night. Where you could talk to the people around you. Like they were in your car.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:20 AM   #45
Level 3 - Talker

Even though the show was flawless for what it was, I still get the vibe that by playing the same show every night they're "phoning it in" and getting a little too comfortable to some extent.

I couldn’t agree more. This was my 6th show on the 10.00 days tour. And it was like watching the same movie for the 6th time. Don’t get me wrong. I love Tool. But please the same 10 songs for every show? When I saw them in Fort Lauderdale for the 2nd time on the Lateralus Tour. They played Ticks and Leaches.

My best show of this tour. Was in August of 2006 in Hawaii. 900 hundred people. Small ass stage. No lasers. Good lighting on Maynard. Kick ass set list. Sober, The Pot and Opiate.

With the best opening of any concert ive been too. The auditorium had a dark curtain. So you couldn’t see anything going on stage. So the lights go out. Just as Adam starts the feedback on Stinkfist. Its pitch black for about 20 seconds. The lights came back on just as the first riff of Stinkfist starts playing. Unbelievable. The music was loud. You could not hear yourself scream. Not like last night. Where you could talk to the people around you. Like they were in your car.
OFFLINE |  
afsocwes
12-12-2007, 02:33 AM

This is a show.

2006/08/18 - Honolulu, HI - Blaisdell Concert Hall

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Lateralus
Opiate
Vicarious
Ænema
Old 12-12-2007, 02:33 AM   #46
Level 3 - Talker

This is a show.

2006/08/18 - Honolulu, HI - Blaisdell Concert Hall

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Lateralus
Opiate
Vicarious
Ænema
OFFLINE |  
jaced
12-12-2007, 09:32 AM

The type of person that thought this show was perfect is the same type of person that lines their walls with purchased VHS cassettes of their favorite movies. With very few exceptions, I personally can't watch a movie more than once. But hey, some people like watching Battlefield Earth three dozen times.

"Repeat after me: Be different, think different, question authority. Don't repeat what other people say." --Maynard
Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #47
Level 2 - Poster

The type of person that thought this show was perfect is the same type of person that lines their walls with purchased VHS cassettes of their favorite movies. With very few exceptions, I personally can't watch a movie more than once. But hey, some people like watching Battlefield Earth three dozen times.

"Repeat after me: Be different, think different, question authority. Don't repeat what other people say." --Maynard
OFFLINE |  
hi8is's Avatar hi8is
12-12-2007, 09:52 AM

glad im not the only one who wasnt disappointed. flood made the show for me. other than that... it was mediocre. wasnt like seeing them in 98 at the palladium. or on the lateralus tour. somethings missing.... like i said thou, maybe im just changing.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #48
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 12

glad im not the only one who wasnt disappointed. flood made the show for me. other than that... it was mediocre. wasnt like seeing them in 98 at the palladium. or on the lateralus tour. somethings missing.... like i said thou, maybe im just changing.
12-12-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterileEyes View Post
The good:

The bad:

Tool, jesus, change your fucking setlist already. You've played Southern California 5 times in the past year and a half and have changed out...2 songs the entire time. I don't care that you rely on the lights and have to program everything...let the lights serve you, don't serve the lights, or at least program more than 12songs to last you two years worth of touring. Would it kill you to maybe play "The Grudge" instead of "Schism" or "Eulogy" instead of "46 & 2" once in a while? I know Schism and 46 & 2 rock like nobody's business...but uh, all Tool songs kill in a live setting...

I've seen Queens of the Stone Age that many times and probably got 15 different set changes.

You're one of the best bands in the world. You can try a little harder than playing 95% the same show 200 times in a row. Even the "extended" songs are "extended" the exact same way every time. I know it's cool for the 6,990 out of 7,000 people there who are casual fans and only see you once or twice ever but how do you not get bored playing the same thing every night and being that talented?

That said, I knew what I was getting into when I got the ticket and I'm still grateful for every chance I still get to see them. You never know when it might be the last...
I couldn't agree more. Seeing Tool live is fantastic and I had a blast at the show, but with the exception of Wings, that setlist is DEAD tired, and Schism in particular should be the first to go.

For me, the Lateralus tour was awesome. Different songs peppered here and there, sometimes you got Pushit, and of course a 12 minute thundering Triad. One show I even got Ticks and Leeches. Some of the best times I've ever had.

With this tour, it's the exact songs over and over and over. Come on, Tool. You're just clocking in, clocking out. No surprises at all. For a band of this caliber, with an obvious hardcore following, it frankly bummed me out a bit.

And to boot, now we get like a 10-12 minute light show intermission added, which although cool and creative, I would have happily passed on it without hesitation, had it meant at least one extra damn song. Any body else feel this way??
Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #49
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterileEyes View Post
The good:

The bad:

Tool, jesus, change your fucking setlist already. You've played Southern California 5 times in the past year and a half and have changed out...2 songs the entire time. I don't care that you rely on the lights and have to program everything...let the lights serve you, don't serve the lights, or at least program more than 12songs to last you two years worth of touring. Would it kill you to maybe play "The Grudge" instead of "Schism" or "Eulogy" instead of "46 & 2" once in a while? I know Schism and 46 & 2 rock like nobody's business...but uh, all Tool songs kill in a live setting...

I've seen Queens of the Stone Age that many times and probably got 15 different set changes.

You're one of the best bands in the world. You can try a little harder than playing 95% the same show 200 times in a row. Even the "extended" songs are "extended" the exact same way every time. I know it's cool for the 6,990 out of 7,000 people there who are casual fans and only see you once or twice ever but how do you not get bored playing the same thing every night and being that talented?

That said, I knew what I was getting into when I got the ticket and I'm still grateful for every chance I still get to see them. You never know when it might be the last...
I couldn't agree more. Seeing Tool live is fantastic and I had a blast at the show, but with the exception of Wings, that setlist is DEAD tired, and Schism in particular should be the first to go.

For me, the Lateralus tour was awesome. Different songs peppered here and there, sometimes you got Pushit, and of course a 12 minute thundering Triad. One show I even got Ticks and Leeches. Some of the best times I've ever had.

With this tour, it's the exact songs over and over and over. Come on, Tool. You're just clocking in, clocking out. No surprises at all. For a band of this caliber, with an obvious hardcore following, it frankly bummed me out a bit.

And to boot, now we get like a 10-12 minute light show intermission added, which although cool and creative, I would have happily passed on it without hesitation, had it meant at least one extra damn song. Any body else feel this way??
OFFLINE |  
Pricko
12-12-2007, 10:27 AM

I think my hair would have sizzled off... if i had any.

Best show I've seen from the boys. Only gripe I had was the camera Nazi's running round giving everyone in Orch J fits. There were even moles planted around our section to point out the violators. The innocent looking woman in Row I, seat 305 with her 12 yr old son was selling everyone out. And the bald guy behing me had his palm pilot out the whole show and never got questioned once. So let me get this straight.... We had the dumbfounded dipshits, the hip gangster wanna-be's and in LA... woul've been a perfect night to LEARN TO SWIM!!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

I think my hair would have sizzled off... if i had any.

Best show I've seen from the boys. Only gripe I had was the camera Nazi's running round giving everyone in Orch J fits. There were even moles planted around our section to point out the violators. The innocent looking woman in Row I, seat 305 with her 12 yr old son was selling everyone out. And the bald guy behing me had his palm pilot out the whole show and never got questioned once. So let me get this straight.... We had the dumbfounded dipshits, the hip gangster wanna-be's and in LA... woul've been a perfect night to LEARN TO SWIM!!
12-12-2007, 12:55 PM

If you cannot concede that, due to it being your first show, you may have been so overwhelmed that the minor fuck ups didn't effect you(but did indeed occur); then you're the close-minded asshole.

He never said he was "o.g.t.", all he said was that this wasn't the best show he has seen. I think that anyone who has seen them before will admit that, in the scheme of things, this definitely was NOT one of the better TOOL shows. Now, a 'not-so-great' TOOL show is still way better than most other concerts... for sure. That doesn't mean they aren't human. They are capable of mistakes. They can suffer from fatigue. As much as it may sound like it, they are not musical machines.

This doesn't mean any of us who have seen them a bunch are better than you. No one is saying that, except you. But its like watching a movie for the second, third, tenth time. You tend to notice things that you previously hadn't, or otherwise would not have.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #51
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 4

If you cannot concede that, due to it being your first show, you may have been so overwhelmed that the minor fuck ups didn't effect you(but did indeed occur); then you're the close-minded asshole.

He never said he was "o.g.t.", all he said was that this wasn't the best show he has seen. I think that anyone who has seen them before will admit that, in the scheme of things, this definitely was NOT one of the better TOOL shows. Now, a 'not-so-great' TOOL show is still way better than most other concerts... for sure. That doesn't mean they aren't human. They are capable of mistakes. They can suffer from fatigue. As much as it may sound like it, they are not musical machines.

This doesn't mean any of us who have seen them a bunch are better than you. No one is saying that, except you. But its like watching a movie for the second, third, tenth time. You tend to notice things that you previously hadn't, or otherwise would not have.
12-12-2007, 01:25 PM

@Quantum:

We don't doubt that the show was awesome to people who were seeing it for the first time. The film "The Sixth Sense" is mind-blowing to the person seeing for the first time, but rather uneventful for the person watching it for the third or fourth time.

Stoked to hear you had a great time seeing Tool at the Nokia on December 10, 2007. But awesome or not, it was rehash. If Tool doesn't bring something unique to a live show every night, people may as well save their money and watch the thing on YouTube. They'll have hundreds to choose from, and it'll all be the same thing. Just a different city.

As an aside, I paid nothing for my private box seats. And with all due respect to your allegiances, many of us Tool fans don't give a rat's nutbag what Maynard thinks of us.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #52
Level 2 - Poster

@Quantum:

We don't doubt that the show was awesome to people who were seeing it for the first time. The film "The Sixth Sense" is mind-blowing to the person seeing for the first time, but rather uneventful for the person watching it for the third or fourth time.

Stoked to hear you had a great time seeing Tool at the Nokia on December 10, 2007. But awesome or not, it was rehash. If Tool doesn't bring something unique to a live show every night, people may as well save their money and watch the thing on YouTube. They'll have hundreds to choose from, and it'll all be the same thing. Just a different city.

As an aside, I paid nothing for my private box seats. And with all due respect to your allegiances, many of us Tool fans don't give a rat's nutbag what Maynard thinks of us.
OFFLINE |  
afsocwes
12-12-2007, 01:36 PM

I also believe that this was my first show that they did a encore. In all the shows I have seen in the past. They would sit on Maynards ½ of the riser or drum kit. Drink a beer. Interact with the audience. Light a cigarette lighter. Put an ice pack on Danny’s arm. It would only be for a few minutes.

Last Monday they walked behind the drum riser away from the audience. Out of view for about 15 minutes. Then came out for a couple more songs. That sounds like an encore to me.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #53
Level 3 - Talker

I also believe that this was my first show that they did a encore. In all the shows I have seen in the past. They would sit on Maynards ½ of the riser or drum kit. Drink a beer. Interact with the audience. Light a cigarette lighter. Put an ice pack on Danny’s arm. It would only be for a few minutes.

Last Monday they walked behind the drum riser away from the audience. Out of view for about 15 minutes. Then came out for a couple more songs. That sounds like an encore to me.
OFFLINE |  
jaced
12-12-2007, 02:00 PM

All family here, brother. Families argue. It's part of the gig.

Let's just not forget what we have in common. We all love the music of Tool, which makes us different than most of the people in this world.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #54
Level 2 - Poster

All family here, brother. Families argue. It's part of the gig.

Let's just not forget what we have in common. We all love the music of Tool, which makes us different than most of the people in this world.
OFFLINE |  
sonnyboy11's Avatar sonnyboy11
12-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
@ Everyone

Sorry for acting like a bitch. (SterileEyes, I'm looking at you)
I guess I was just sooooo excited about finally getting to see my most favorite band of the past 15 years that I was almost personally offended when I started reading all of your negative reviews.

Again, sorry for being a dick.
Actually, I agree with you. This WAS one of Tool's better shows. It was great. And I have seen them 12 times. It's all about perspective I think. I really love 10,000 Days and the performance of Wings 1&2 this night was pretty amazing. It was topped off with a great sound at a nice venue and pretty stellar individual performances (Adam always misses a few notes).

Not the best Tool show I have seen- but it's up there.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #55
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
@ Everyone

Sorry for acting like a bitch. (SterileEyes, I'm looking at you)
I guess I was just sooooo excited about finally getting to see my most favorite band of the past 15 years that I was almost personally offended when I started reading all of your negative reviews.

Again, sorry for being a dick.
Actually, I agree with you. This WAS one of Tool's better shows. It was great. And I have seen them 12 times. It's all about perspective I think. I really love 10,000 Days and the performance of Wings 1&2 this night was pretty amazing. It was topped off with a great sound at a nice venue and pretty stellar individual performances (Adam always misses a few notes).

Not the best Tool show I have seen- but it's up there.
OFFLINE |  
junior
12-12-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:

----

----

I would’ve liked to see Tool take a page from their own book and put it to use. Apply it to 2007. If the lasers and videos and fog machines are making things a little too creatively limiting, THEN THEY’VE OFFICIALLY BECOME A PROBLEM. It’s gotten to the point where the icing is controlling the cake. Time to lose the lasers and the video footage and fog machines. At least for a while. Try turning ‘em off for thirty minutes in the middle of the set, light some candles, and just fucking JAM. See what happens.

I completely disagree with your conclusions. But will not discuss it here as this is a review area. I've written a response that is in the General Tour Discussion.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p...81#post2294381

Last edited by junior; 12-12-2007 at 04:52 PM..
Old 12-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #56
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

----

----

I would’ve liked to see Tool take a page from their own book and put it to use. Apply it to 2007. If the lasers and videos and fog machines are making things a little too creatively limiting, THEN THEY’VE OFFICIALLY BECOME A PROBLEM. It’s gotten to the point where the icing is controlling the cake. Time to lose the lasers and the video footage and fog machines. At least for a while. Try turning ‘em off for thirty minutes in the middle of the set, light some candles, and just fucking JAM. See what happens.

I completely disagree with your conclusions. But will not discuss it here as this is a review area. I've written a response that is in the General Tour Discussion.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p...81#post2294381

Last edited by junior; 12-12-2007 at 04:52 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Lestat
12-12-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
I knew I wasn't the only one that thought they were gonna continue playing. They probably just ran out of time. I looked at my watch and the time was 11:27.

Oh yeah, who picked up a lithograph! I was afraid they were gonna run out while I was in line since people were buying 2-4 at a time. And who bought the autographed lithographs for $500?
I bought one of the $500 signed and art embellished posters.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #57
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I knew I wasn't the only one that thought they were gonna continue playing. They probably just ran out of time. I looked at my watch and the time was 11:27.

Oh yeah, who picked up a lithograph! I was afraid they were gonna run out while I was in line since people were buying 2-4 at a time. And who bought the autographed lithographs for $500?
I bought one of the $500 signed and art embellished posters.
OFFLINE |  
losinvenice
12-12-2007, 06:06 PM

Its almost as if people who are complaining about setlist, audience members, venues, prices, band members, etc have no inkling of realization of what reality actually is.
First, you live in LOS ANGELES, the epicenter of posers, hipsters, wanna be's, know it alls and fakeness. Are you really that surprised when you are surrounded by people who have no clue or idea of what is transcending before their eyes.

As far as the setlist. I have been lucky enough to have seen TOOL many times since 92 and feel privileged each and every time I am able to be a part of what they work so hard to create. Sure, there are better shows than others and everyone has their own favorite songs for whatever reason, but in order to accept and appreciate art you must try and realize what it was like to walk in the artist shoes at that given time when they created.

Sure, songs like Pushit, Jimmy, Eulogy, The Grudge kick major ass, but how would you feel about reliving a very difficult time in your life over and over again, night after night.
Do you not think that Wings For Marie/10,000 days, which even makes a complete stranger weep, does not serve as a cathartic and draining experience for each band member, obviously more so for MJK.

This show kicked ass....PERIOD. Every show I have seen has kicked ass! When i saw the warm-up tour in NYC at The City Center, we got Right In Two....at Staples last year we got The Pot. The truth is that they have obviously been meticulous about this tour and have finally all landed on the same page as to what they are comfortable with expressing and sharing with the audience.

Be happy with your experience, wether you sat next to some jerk off or if Adam missed a note or MJK didn't scream his vocal chords out of his throat. Can you imagine doing what he does night after night in your 40's? I think not.

Here's to TOOL for another solid performance. Never a complaint and never a doubt.
This is solidity at it's best. From the band to the crew.

Cheers.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

NOKIA LOS ANGELES

Its almost as if people who are complaining about setlist, audience members, venues, prices, band members, etc have no inkling of realization of what reality actually is.
First, you live in LOS ANGELES, the epicenter of posers, hipsters, wanna be's, know it alls and fakeness. Are you really that surprised when you are surrounded by people who have no clue or idea of what is transcending before their eyes.

As far as the setlist. I have been lucky enough to have seen TOOL many times since 92 and feel privileged each and every time I am able to be a part of what they work so hard to create. Sure, there are better shows than others and everyone has their own favorite songs for whatever reason, but in order to accept and appreciate art you must try and realize what it was like to walk in the artist shoes at that given time when they created.

Sure, songs like Pushit, Jimmy, Eulogy, The Grudge kick major ass, but how would you feel about reliving a very difficult time in your life over and over again, night after night.
Do you not think that Wings For Marie/10,000 days, which even makes a complete stranger weep, does not serve as a cathartic and draining experience for each band member, obviously more so for MJK.

This show kicked ass....PERIOD. Every show I have seen has kicked ass! When i saw the warm-up tour in NYC at The City Center, we got Right In Two....at Staples last year we got The Pot. The truth is that they have obviously been meticulous about this tour and have finally all landed on the same page as to what they are comfortable with expressing and sharing with the audience.

Be happy with your experience, wether you sat next to some jerk off or if Adam missed a note or MJK didn't scream his vocal chords out of his throat. Can you imagine doing what he does night after night in your 40's? I think not.

Here's to TOOL for another solid performance. Never a complaint and never a doubt.

Cheers.
OFFLINE |  
losinvenice
12-12-2007, 06:15 PM

Cheers.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #59
Level 1 - Lurker

Cheers.
OFFLINE |  
bobby digital
12-12-2007, 08:40 PM

I think there should be a separate message board for all the whiners to post their gripes about the setlist and all the infinite ways that Tool continues to disappoint them. You have to wade through so much verbal diarrhea on this board to find anything positive or insightful written about the band and their music. It’s really a mentality that I can’t even pretend to comprehend. Who the fuck goes to a concert and meticulously chronicles every minute “mistake” that the band makes during their performance? I see this shit get posted over and over again and it really blows my mind. I picture these “fans” listening to the show and elbowing their friends sitting next to them – “Did you hear that? He made a mistake!!! That’s not how it sounds on their CD!!!!!”

And then there is the much maligned setlist which people have been whining about since the tour started almost two years ago. Tool could play every song from every album they’ve ever made in their entirety – one giant 5 hour show – and there would still be people on this board complaining about the setlist - “It was too long,” “I didn’t like the order,” “They should have played ‘No Quarter,’ etc, etc.” It’s the band’s own personal decision how they present their art, and if you can’t respect that then don’t buy tickets to the show. You all read these message boards and know with 99% certainty what songs are going to be played and in what order before you even step foot inside the venue. So my question is: if you don’t like what you see why bother?

The show at the Nokia was the fourth time I’ve seen Tool on this tour, and give or take couple songs it was exactly the same set as all the others. They were all unbelievable musical experiences and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. I truly believe that Tool may be the most amazing live band in the history of rock, so if they’re a bit stingy with they’re music then deal with it, or find another band to obsess over. The world could always use more Fall Out Boy fans, and I hear they really switch it up a lot on stage.

Last edited by bobby digital; 12-12-2007 at 08:43 PM..
Old 12-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #60
Level 1 - Lurker

I think there should be a separate message board for all the whiners to post their gripes about the setlist and all the infinite ways that Tool continues to disappoint them. You have to wade through so much verbal diarrhea on this board to find anything positive or insightful written about the band and their music. It’s really a mentality that I can’t even pretend to comprehend. Who the fuck goes to a concert and meticulously chronicles every minute “mistake” that the band makes during their performance? I see this shit get posted over and over again and it really blows my mind. I picture these “fans” listening to the show and elbowing their friends sitting next to them – “Did you hear that? He made a mistake!!! That’s not how it sounds on their CD!!!!!”

And then there is the much maligned setlist which people have been whining about since the tour started almost two years ago. Tool could play every song from every album they’ve ever made in their entirety – one giant 5 hour show – and there would still be people on this board complaining about the setlist - “It was too long,” “I didn’t like the order,” “They should have played ‘No Quarter,’ etc, etc.” It’s the band’s own personal decision how they present their art, and if you can’t respect that then don’t buy tickets to the show. You all read these message boards and know with 99% certainty what songs are going to be played and in what order before you even step foot inside the venue. So my question is: if you don’t like what you see why bother?

The show at the Nokia was the fourth time I’ve seen Tool on this tour, and give or take couple songs it was exactly the same set as all the others. They were all unbelievable musical experiences and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. I truly believe that Tool may be the most amazing live band in the history of rock, so if they’re a bit stingy with they’re music then deal with it, or find another band to obsess over. The world could always use more Fall Out Boy fans, and I hear they really switch it up a lot on stage.

Last edited by bobby digital; 12-12-2007 at 08:43 PM..
OFFLINE |  
gabis
12-12-2007, 10:58 PM

Well, just like you guys seem to think the people 'complaining' are exaggerating... I think you are all exaggerating our complaints. There isn't one post with complaints that didn't also talk about the many things that were enjoyable. If you want to read some fluff review about every show that will only mention how awesome it was... well go somewhere else.

The fact of the matter is this section is here for us to post our OPINIONS about the show. If this is how we felt about it, why shouldn't we post it?

I thought the show had its flaws, absolutely. Does it mean it wasn't a great time? Fuck no. I had a blast. So much so, I'm doing it again on Friday. And you know what? If they play the same set, sure, I'll be a little disappointed. I have a right to be. Its my opinion. But it doesn't mean I'm not going to have an absolutely amazing time. I LOVE 10,000 days, and Monday night was my first time seeing them play it. It was an honor.

No one is trying to take anything away from your experience. If you enjoyed the hell out of it, and I'm sure you did, then embrace that. Don't let our cynicism bring you down. But the reality of something as objective as a concert is that everyone is going to have a different experience. Everyone is going to take away different things from it. Just enjoy it.

To afsocwes: When they went away for 15 minutes, it was to let junior and crew do their thing with the lights. They have done this every show, and played the same songs before and after. Hence, definitely not an encore.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:58 PM   #61
Level 4 - Thinker

Well, just like you guys seem to think the people 'complaining' are exaggerating... I think you are all exaggerating our complaints. There isn't one post with complaints that didn't also talk about the many things that were enjoyable. If you want to read some fluff review about every show that will only mention how awesome it was... well go somewhere else.

The fact of the matter is this section is here for us to post our OPINIONS about the show. If this is how we felt about it, why shouldn't we post it?

I thought the show had its flaws, absolutely. Does it mean it wasn't a great time? Fuck no. I had a blast. So much so, I'm doing it again on Friday. And you know what? If they play the same set, sure, I'll be a little disappointed. I have a right to be. Its my opinion. But it doesn't mean I'm not going to have an absolutely amazing time. I LOVE 10,000 days, and Monday night was my first time seeing them play it. It was an honor.

No one is trying to take anything away from your experience. If you enjoyed the hell out of it, and I'm sure you did, then embrace that. Don't let our cynicism bring you down. But the reality of something as objective as a concert is that everyone is going to have a different experience. Everyone is going to take away different things from it. Just enjoy it.

To afsocwes: When they went away for 15 minutes, it was to let junior and crew do their thing with the lights. They have done this every show, and played the same songs before and after. Hence, definitely not an encore.
12-12-2007, 11:02 PM

Signed poster with artwork
http://i6.tinypic.com/72jomsi.jpg
Old 12-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #62
Level 4 - Thinker

Signed poster with artwork
http://i6.tinypic.com/72jomsi.jpg
OFFLINE |  
Lestat
12-12-2007, 11:03 PM

Old 12-12-2007, 11:03 PM   #63
Level 4 - Thinker

OFFLINE |  
NIB
12-13-2007, 12:50 AM

Come on folks no fighting, biting, scratching or throwing things.

Remember MJK's words....

"We'd like you to remember this feeling your having whether its good, bad or indifferent, remember this feeling you're having & take it home. And in the coming weeks, create something positive with it"
Old 12-13-2007, 12:50 AM   #64
NIB
Level 3 - Talker

Come on folks no fighting, biting, scratching or throwing things.

Remember MJK's words....

"We'd like you to remember this feeling your having whether its good, bad or indifferent, remember this feeling you're having & take it home. And in the coming weeks, create something positive with it"
OFFLINE |  
NIB
12-13-2007, 12:52 AM

Lestat....

Thats pretty cool!

I really like the LA poster, wish I would have gotten a second now.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:52 AM   #65
NIB
Level 3 - Talker

Lestat....

Thats pretty cool!

I really like the LA poster, wish I would have gotten a second now.
OFFLINE |  
afsocwes
12-13-2007, 01:05 AM

Well, I can tell you that the 6 shows I have seen on the 10.000 days tour. And the 5 shows before that. That this was different.

On all of the shows before Monday. The band sat on Maynard’s riser facing the crowd. Or walked around the stage. Doing whatever. But they were always in full view of the crowd. Monday night they went behind the drum riser. And were out of view of the crowd for the entire time.

I believe the definition of an encore is when the band leaves the stage. The lights remain down. And the band comes back for more songs. That’s what they did.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:05 AM   #66
Level 3 - Talker

Well, I can tell you that the 6 shows I have seen on the 10.000 days tour. And the 5 shows before that. That this was different.

On all of the shows before Monday. The band sat on Maynard’s riser facing the crowd. Or walked around the stage. Doing whatever. But they were always in full view of the crowd. Monday night they went behind the drum riser. And were out of view of the crowd for the entire time.

I believe the definition of an encore is when the band leaves the stage. The lights remain down. And the band comes back for more songs. That’s what they did.
OFFLINE |  
mnb808
12-13-2007, 01:28 AM

This was my 25th show. It was my 3rd on the 10,000 Days tour. This was definitely the best out of the three I saw (others were Coachella & Staples). I gotta say that I thought they sounded fuckin' great, and had a good amount of energy. Wings/10,000 Days sounded great, Lateralus was awesome like always, Vicarious was thumping, but Flood ruled the night! The light show was great...BUT...I really hope that if and when they come back around for another tour (hopefully for their next album) that they'll just ditch the lights and videos, and just go back to playing many different songs on different nights, and hopefully for more than just a 90 minute set. There's nothing like hearing some old gems, and seeing a show that lasts over 2 hours. Because I've been reading up on their recent setlist, I knew what every single song was going to be before they even started playing it. That didn't add any excitement to the show. Regardless, Tool is still the best fucking band out there, and I hope to god that this wasn't the last time I'll get to see them. Oh yeah...and I got a lithograph. Fuckin' sweet. Can't wait to see the Vicarious DVD. Only Tool would put out the video to their first single over a year after the album came out.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:28 AM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 25th show. It was my 3rd on the 10,000 Days tour. This was definitely the best out of the three I saw (others were Coachella & Staples). I gotta say that I thought they sounded fuckin' great, and had a good amount of energy. Wings/10,000 Days sounded great, Lateralus was awesome like always, Vicarious was thumping, but Flood ruled the night! The light show was great...BUT...I really hope that if and when they come back around for another tour (hopefully for their next album) that they'll just ditch the lights and videos, and just go back to playing many different songs on different nights, and hopefully for more than just a 90 minute set. There's nothing like hearing some old gems, and seeing a show that lasts over 2 hours. Because I've been reading up on their recent setlist, I knew what every single song was going to be before they even started playing it. That didn't add any excitement to the show. Regardless, Tool is still the best fucking band out there, and I hope to god that this wasn't the last time I'll get to see them. Oh yeah...and I got a lithograph. Fuckin' sweet. Can't wait to see the Vicarious DVD. Only Tool would put out the video to their first single over a year after the album came out.
OFFLINE |  
Pricko
12-13-2007, 09:12 AM

I have to say two things.

1. Did anyone get any footage/pics?

2. All petty differences aside, a bad TOOL show is still better than everything else.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #68
Level 1 - Lurker

I have to say two things.

2. All petty differences aside, a bad TOOL show is still better than everything else.
12-13-2007, 10:04 AM

For what they're worth, some pix snapped from my cell:

http://jaced.com/2007/12/11/tool-nok...ngeles-121007/
Old 12-13-2007, 10:04 AM   #69
Level 2 - Poster

For what they're worth, some pix snapped from my cell:

http://jaced.com/2007/12/11/tool-nok...ngeles-121007/
OFFLINE |  
EGG-MAN's Avatar EGG-MAN
12-13-2007, 01:11 PM

Mushrooms + Orchestra Seat + Tool = Greatness...
Old 12-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #70
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Mushrooms + Orchestra Seat + Tool = Greatness...
12-13-2007, 01:29 PM

Good pictures and footage will be rare seeing as how difficult to get a camera in the show was. Even then the camera police was in full force. The folks with cellphone cameras were getting harassed and I saw one guy almost get ejected because they thought his cellphone was a full size camera. They even had people within the crowd pointing people out who may have had cameras.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #71
NIB
Level 3 - Talker

Good pictures and footage will be rare seeing as how difficult to get a camera in the show was. Even then the camera police was in full force. The folks with cellphone cameras were getting harassed and I saw one guy almost get ejected because they thought his cellphone was a full size camera. They even had people within the crowd pointing people out who may have had cameras.
OFFLINE |  
EyesOfAFallenAngel's Avatar EyesOfAFallenAngel
12-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricko View Post
Yes, to both.

Quote:
Good pictures and footage will be rare seeing as how difficult to get a camera in the show was. Even then the camera police was in full force.
I was able, by complete luck, to get my camera in. I thought I was going to get kicked out before I even got in. I had my camera in my bra. I totally thought it would be noticeable, but I guess not so much. I went through the metal detector, and the fucking thing went off. I figured I was done for. The guy then used his handheld metal detector, told me to open my jacket (I thought for sure he would see it, then), and did his thing...completely skipping my left breast area where the camera was.

Here's some.. (a few are stills from video)
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...0/DSC02069.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...010/Max021.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...010/Max024.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...010/Max028.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...0/DSC02047.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...0/DSC02076.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...DSC02081xx.jpg

Old 12-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #72
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricko View Post
Yes, to both.

Quote:
Good pictures and footage will be rare seeing as how difficult to get a camera in the show was. Even then the camera police was in full force.
I was able, by complete luck, to get my camera in. I thought I was going to get kicked out before I even got in. I had my camera in my bra. I totally thought it would be noticeable, but I guess not so much. I went through the metal detector, and the fucking thing went off. I figured I was done for. The guy then used his handheld metal detector, told me to open my jacket (I thought for sure he would see it, then), and did his thing...completely skipping my left breast area where the camera was.

OFFLINE |  
Lestat
12-13-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesOfAFallenAngel View Post
Yes, to both.

awesome!! thanks you gonna youtube the vid?
Old 12-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #73
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesOfAFallenAngel View Post
Yes, to both.

awesome!! thanks you gonna youtube the vid?
OFFLINE |  
SterileEyes
12-13-2007, 10:32 PM

Ok, first of all, to Quantum - I read what you wrote after your first post and that's cool, no hard feelings, but so you know it wasn't my intent to be elitist or mock you. My whole point is, to me, it's a shame they're not more exciting to see more than once.

The show itself was the best performance I've seen out of the three, I never said it 'wasn't the best show', or that they fucked up musically (the few fuckups I heard were awesome, it gave the show life for me) it's just...like someone else said, like watching the same movie 3 times.

I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid. When I saw the tour for the first time last year, even though I knew what song was coming before it started, I was ecstatic and it was a great time.

It's not about 'stay home if you know you're going to get the same show'. I never know when the band might break up. I don't know what my life will be like in 5 years, maybe I won't be able to go see them again. Also, I went with an old buddy of mine who's favorite band is Tool - he is now married with a little girl and doesn't often get the opportunity to see shows, so it was a great time and I don't regret going one bit.

I love the band. All I said was I wish they'd change their setlist more, especially over the course of two years and hundreds of shows.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next thing - the guy that wrote "Tool could play a 5 hour set and people would still complain"....c'mon.

I said they've played the same 15 songs for two years. Rehearse 25 or 30. I don't care if I don't hear Schism every night. I understand they have an album to promote. I didn't say don't play Wings. Just, swap one or two songs a night. If nothing else for their own excitement. If they were to say they're tired of touring at some point, playing the same show 200 times would be a good reason for that.

It's my opinion. Geez.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post

I believe you just called that guy narcissistic for expressing his opinion.

Are you saying that only your opinion counts? Only your interpretation is valid? Only you and people who think everything they do is 100% perfect and immune from criticism truly GET IT? Is that not...narcisisstic?

We all buy the albums and pay to see the shows and we should all be entitled to share our thoughts.

Last edited by SterileEyes; 12-13-2007 at 11:01 PM..
Old 12-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #74
Level 4 - Thinker

Ok, first of all, to Quantum - I read what you wrote after your first post and that's cool, no hard feelings, but so you know it wasn't my intent to be elitist or mock you. My whole point is, to me, it's a shame they're not more exciting to see more than once.

The show itself was the best performance I've seen out of the three, I never said it 'wasn't the best show', or that they fucked up musically (the few fuckups I heard were awesome, it gave the show life for me) it's just...like someone else said, like watching the same movie 3 times.

I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid. When I saw the tour for the first time last year, even though I knew what song was coming before it started, I was ecstatic and it was a great time.

It's not about 'stay home if you know you're going to get the same show'. I never know when the band might break up. I don't know what my life will be like in 5 years, maybe I won't be able to go see them again. Also, I went with an old buddy of mine who's favorite band is Tool - he is now married with a little girl and doesn't often get the opportunity to see shows, so it was a great time and I don't regret going one bit.

I love the band. All I said was I wish they'd change their setlist more, especially over the course of two years and hundreds of shows.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next thing - the guy that wrote "Tool could play a 5 hour set and people would still complain"....c'mon.

I said they've played the same 15 songs for two years. Rehearse 25 or 30. I don't care if I don't hear Schism every night. I understand they have an album to promote. I didn't say don't play Wings. Just, swap one or two songs a night. If nothing else for their own excitement. If they were to say they're tired of touring at some point, playing the same show 200 times would be a good reason for that.

It's my opinion. Geez.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post

I believe you just called that guy narcissistic for expressing his opinion.

Are you saying that only your opinion counts? Only your interpretation is valid? Only you and people who think everything they do is 100% perfect and immune from criticism truly GET IT? Is that not...narcisisstic?

We all buy the albums and pay to see the shows and we should all be entitled to share our thoughts.

Last edited by SterileEyes; 12-13-2007 at 11:01 PM..
OFFLINE |  
NIB
12-14-2007, 12:12 AM

EyesOfAFallenAngel....

Nice pics!!! I'm convinced that the best seats where on the second level.

I was going to try and sneak my camera in but seeing the metal detectors decided to leave it in the jeep. The detector went off on me and the guy that wanded me went thru every square inch of me and would have found it for sure.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 AM   #75
NIB
Level 3 - Talker

EyesOfAFallenAngel....

I was going to try and sneak my camera in but seeing the metal detectors decided to leave it in the jeep. The detector went off on me and the guy that wanded me went thru every square inch of me and would have found it for sure.
OFFLINE |  
Pricko
12-14-2007, 08:07 AM

From the pics i have seen, it seems that each seating area had it's own unique view of the fabulous light show. From where i was sitting in the orchestra it was a trip to look up and be covered in lasers. When I was coming back from gettting a beer I literally walked right through the whole array and damn near spilled my beer. And from above it looks really cool looking down into the madness. Gotta love different perspectives... gotta love TOOL. Thanx to all for putting up your pics.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #76
Level 1 - Lurker

From the pics i have seen, it seems that each seating area had it's own unique view of the fabulous light show. From where i was sitting in the orchestra it was a trip to look up and be covered in lasers. When I was coming back from gettting a beer I literally walked right through the whole array and damn near spilled my beer. And from above it looks really cool looking down into the madness. Gotta love different perspectives... gotta love TOOL. Thanx to all for putting up your pics.
12-15-2007, 01:43 PM

Well guys, looks like this was indeed the final Tool gig in L.A. for 10,000 Days. Unless they change their minds and run another tour.

I enjoyed the show and quite frankly I'm already anxious for the next time Tool goes on tour whether it be next year or 5 years from now.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #77
NIB
Level 3 - Talker

Well guys, looks like this was indeed the final Tool gig in L.A. for 10,000 Days. Unless they change their minds and run another tour.

I enjoyed the show and quite frankly I'm already anxious for the next time Tool goes on tour whether it be next year or 5 years from now.
OFFLINE |  
sotrab's Avatar sotrab
12-16-2007, 11:33 AM

I thought they all looked good and Danny was as well, especially giving his normal amazing performance. I saw him after the show and gave him a hug and told him it was an amazing time, he thanked me with much delight! A great evening at the Nokia Theatre.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #78
Level 1 - Lurker

I thought they all looked good and Danny was as well, especially giving his normal amazing performance. I saw him after the show and gave him a hug and told him it was an amazing time, he thanked me with much delight! A great evening at the Nokia Theatre.
OFFLINE |  
gnjasmkr's Avatar gnjasmkr
12-16-2007, 05:47 PM

Highlight of the night besides the obvious was running into old friends just before the show that i haven't seen in over 2 years.

What else can i say but THANK YOU TOOL for giving us a GREAT show.

3 more to go
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
Old 12-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #79
Level 4 - Thinker

Highlight of the night besides the obvious was running into old friends just before the show that i haven't seen in over 2 years.

What else can i say but THANK YOU TOOL for giving us a GREAT show.

3 more to go
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
OFFLINE |  
dapot's Avatar dapot
12-18-2007, 06:46 PM

i paid 2 for my seats . 2 much ! i won the presale auction on ticketbasturd. 2nd row orch right in front of justin. sound was great . could hear maynard up front .dont know what the supposed "alien abduction" inter lude was supposed to be . 6 minutes of screech loop gets old fast , i perfereed the lighters and a beer timeout , but not at Jokia theater. secutiy in red shirtd, in blue shirts , ushers with the damned flashlights security dudes in jackets . i mean come on ease up. no the pot :( i heard that the had some nice posters at the merch booth , but some douchebag scarfed all of em or most of anyway , this was a great end to what started inapril 06 at coachella. thanks TOOL
Old 12-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #80
Level 1 - Lurker

i paid 2 for my seats . 2 much ! i won the presale auction on ticketbasturd. 2nd row orch right in front of justin. sound was great . could hear maynard up front .dont know what the supposed "alien abduction" inter lude was supposed to be . 6 minutes of screech loop gets old fast , i perfereed the lighters and a beer timeout , but not at Jokia theater. secutiy in red shirtd, in blue shirts , ushers with the damned flashlights security dudes in jackets . i mean come on ease up. no the pot :( i heard that the had some nice posters at the merch booth , but some douchebag scarfed all of em or most of anyway , this was a great end to what started inapril 06 at coachella. thanks TOOL

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply