opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/07/09 - Turku, FIN - Turku Festival

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Sober
Lateralus
Opiate
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-09-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6
Re: 2006/07/09 - Turku, FIN - Turku Festival

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Sober
Lateralus
Opiate
Vicarious
Ænema
Old 07-10-2006, 03:14 AM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

A great show. It was worth 5 years of waiting.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

My first Tool show ever and I think it was as close to perfection as it could have been. The setlist wasn't surprising, having read about the previous gigs, but that didn't matter to me at all. It was just fantastic to finally hear all these songs being played live. And the way they do it, with virtually no mistakes at all.

Soundwise, I don't have complaints. During the opening song, Stinkfist, the vocals weren't loud enough (at least where I was standing), but they fixed it and the rest of the gig was great. What I was particularily happy about was that the bass was under control and all the instruments and vocals could be heard clearly at all times.

I loved watching the guys play. And Maynard was much more active than I had assumed. During some of the songs he was really getting into it and giving a nice performance for the crowd (think rodeo). Maynard also said something like this: "See you in November. Maybe not exactly here, or looking like this. We'll be wearing pink tank tops with a logo on the left. That's how you'll know it's us." :-)

I was standing a couple of meters from the fence with my fiancee, and sure enough, there were some jerks pushing us, making it a bit harder to enjoy the show. Fortunately, it didn't get too bad, but if I ever see Tool in a similar (festival) setting again, I'll probably stay back and avoid the biggest idiots. Also, I didn't get a Tool shirt of any kind because they had already sold out when I got there. :-(

After the show (last on this tour), they came to the front of the stage, hugged each other, threw their remaining water bottles for us and waved us goodbye. A fitting finish for a great night. This definitely was the highlight of my concert going 'career'. Thanks Tool, hope to see you again somewhere.

- Jussi
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-10-2006, 04:49 AM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattilaj
but if I ever see Tool in a similar (festival) setting again, I'll probably stay back and avoid the biggest idiots.
Yeah, I was in front row in provinssi 5 years ago and did not want to make the same mistake again. I got close enough and did not get pushed at all.

Loved the gig and Maynard's rodeo was fun. Maynard mentioned november twice, so I am confident there are at least talks about a club gig.

I had not read about the new drumsolo or renewed middle part of Schism, but I have not read any reviews anyway. It really kicked ass, I was blown away by the surprise!
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-10-2006, 05:38 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

I really cannot understand this attitude. Have you ever been to a rock concert? These "Idiots" pushing you were the people who wanted to plunge in to the fucking experience, not to stand still and snap their fingers. I for one danced and sang as hard and loud as I possibly could. When alot of people do so, you can get pushed a bit. I doubt that anyone was there just spoil your experience. The pit is for the enthusiasts. You can dig from beside the mixing booth. It sounds best there too, trust me. But all in all, a dream come true. Thanks to everyone who was there. A magical evening.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappineste
The pit is for the enthusiasts. You can dig from beside the mixing booth. It sounds best there too, trust me.
I was between the mixing booth and stage, good place to be and no idiots.

It's your opinion that pit is for the enthusiasts, my opinion is that in Tool's case pit is for the ones who don't exactly get the band that well. Tool is just not that kind of band. Of course it is only one of those bands for some people...those who actually enjoy the physical side of being on just any gig banging their head and giving bruises to other people, no matter what stiffs they put on the stage to create noise.

See...differences of opinion.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-10-2006, 07:32 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

After you've spent an hour for watching complete fucking spinal tap retards (Backyard Babies) play mediocre three chord bullshit rocknroll, so that you could see your favourite band playing a few meters closer that you otherwise would, you don't want some drunken metalhead idiots taking your place. There WERE people there who weren't there for the show. Only to disctract other people. Some of the time my whole attention was getting into finding a good view. Now that being said it was my own fault. I should have watched the show from further away from the stage.

But yes, the band was amazing. I was so immersed into the music that I don't seem to remember much details of the event. Jambi totally surprised me, it's such a good live number. Maynard did some cool surfing moves during Adam's voicebox solo. And also everyone around me were totally blown away by Danny's performance in the new part of Schism. Lateralus and Vicarious were the highlights though.

I almost got one of the water bottles that Maynard threw in the audience but for the loser I am I dropped it. Too bad.

Nothing further to add. Thanks Tool.

Last edited by unclezoso; 07-10-2006 at 08:12 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-10-2006, 07:40 AM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
I really cannot understand this attitude. Have you ever been to a rock concert? These "Idiots" pushing you were the people who wanted to plunge in to the fucking experience, not to stand still and snap their fingers. I for one danced and sang as hard and loud as I possibly could. When alot of people do so, you can get pushed a bit.
I don't mind people jumping, dancing and singing (though the one guy who sang lateralus last next to my ear should learn how to sing first :) ), but there were people just pushing to annoy people in front so they could get better spot themselves. Security people didn't handle their job very well last night, nice to compare to roskilde festival, where everything worked much better.

Quote:
I doubt that anyone was there just spoil your experience.
Actually I think there were. I was maybe in the fourth or fifth row, there was this one guy who rubbed his body into mine the whole 46&2 (could have been even longer) and watched my face almost the whole time. I doubt he was hitting me, can only think he was trying to spoil my concert experience and make me leave my spot so he can get to it. Later on I saw him doing it for other guy also. There sure are lot of assholes in this world and some of them defendly were in the concert last night :)

Quote:
But all in all, a dream come true. Thanks to everyone who was there. A magical evening.
Yeah, it was :) Though no rosetta stoned, little dissapointed...
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-10-2006, 07:52 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

This was the best gig I have ever been to. And not just because I think their music is superior to all the other bands, but because they played great. Precise, but with emotion.

I was standing somewhere in the middle between the mixing booth and the stage. During the second song a group of drunken idiots started a pit. I understand dancing, jumping and singing, but what I do NOT understand, is a bunch of steroid-popping 100 kg morons ruining the experience for the people around them. They clearly were not there for Tool. There was so much to see and hear on stage that if you have to concentrate on worrying for your girlfriend's safety (I'm big enough not to get trampled on myself) you miss most of the fun.

To sappineste. There are rock concerts and then there are rock concerts. There is a big difference between a Slayer show and a Tool show.

Luckily all ended well. We moved ourselves to a better spot where I was the one getting all the hits that came our way every now and then. After that it was all sweet.

Maynard's antics were hilarious. During 'The Pot' I was sure he was gonna fall down when he was dangling from his mic stand. He also continued his Belgium joke and said something like "We have a new album out. Apparently...huge in Belgium."

If they really get back in November, I'm sure to be there, although I sensed a pinch of sarcasm when he mentioned they'll be back then, as if it was just one of his running jokes.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Nyt on Tool nähty. Hyvä keikkahan se oli. Lateraluksen loppu kuulosti mahtavalta. Harmittaa vähän kun ei saanut ostettua paitaa, kun ne oli loppuunmyyty.

Jotenkin jäi vähän vituttamaan se, että ei oikeen saanut sellaista yhteyttä bändin kanssa...vaikka ne oli siinä lähellä niin ne tuntui silti tosi etäisiltä...

Ihan jees on näyttää videoita biisien aikana screeniltä, mutta silti ois ollu, ehkä vielä siistimpää nähdä niitä äijiä siltä screeniltä.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

OK, I`ll just take a few of my words back. Of course I think it sucks big time if a show you´ve been waiting for your whole adult life is ruined by a bunch of wasted Fabio look-alikes. But my point is that you really should´nt let such trivial things get to you and ruin a once in a lifetime experience.

I for one have a HUGE problem with the fact that a big percentage of Tool fans are a bit elithist and think they are the only ones who really get the band... and know the correct concert behaviour.

I don´t even know what I´m arguing about. The bottom line is that the show was fucking sweet. :D
Old 07-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #13

Quote:
I for one have a HUGE problem with the fact that a big percentage of Tool fans are a bit elithist and think they are the only ones who really get the band... and know the correct concert behaviour.
Members of the band have been quite open about how they feel about the pits and that sort of behaviour. I respect their wishes, and also the other people going to the concert. I am a big guy and I know I'd have no problem staying in the front, but that would mean focusing on "standing my ground" and I would not enjoy the gig as much...and neither would those who tried to take my place. There is absolutely no sense in that behaviour, and none of that really fit in the lyrical content of Tool.

I understand your view also, and I don't feel any need to be elitist and tell you my opinion about how people should act in a tool gig, except to answer your opinion. Try to respect the "elitist" right to their opinion, this elitist is at least trying to respect the "idiot" point of view.

We can just agree to disagree on the correct behaviour ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-11-2006, 12:50 AM   #14
JLM
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show! I've never seen Tool play live before so I didn't quite know what to expect. Too bad it doesn't get any darker in the evenings during the summer. I bet an indoors show would be quite a different experience because the lights and screens would have a better impact.

My only gripe is that the shirts were sold out. I want the white one with the "turn off your TV" picture/text :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-11-2006, 01:35 AM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

Mm-mm, the show was sweet as hell. Even though Danny fucked up his solo in Forty-Six & 2. Still, it was a breathtaking gig.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-11-2006, 02:20 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Easily the best gig I have ever seen from any band - also my first Tool gig ever. Got some pictures from where I stood, between the front left corner of mixing stand and the stage.

Set list could not have been better. New album songs worked perfectly live and I among others found some new blood from Jambi. It is a really excellent live song!

About behaviour. Pitting belongs to death, grind, thrash, speed, heavy etc. straightforward metal gigs. Go have your walls of death and all that on a Slayer gig and I'm happy to join you there (greetings to Slayer moshpit at Sauna Open Air 2005, that was awesome) but please try to understand that if half of a Tool show is about immense light show and visuals, there may be quite a lot of people who will get annoyed by your "personal experiencing of the gig", as someone put it.

EDIT: WTF was going on with merchandise? I went to merchandise booth around 3 pm or so and all L/XL sized shirts were gone. The guy was SERIOUSLY trying to sell me S sized tour shirt (I'm 6'3" and 220 lbs) and the condition of posters was terrible - I heard they had fell off from backline and got crushed by something. I WANT MY TOOL TOUR SHIRT! :-P

Last edited by tinkezione; 07-11-2006 at 02:28 AM.. Reason: merchandise gripe
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-11-2006, 03:20 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show, too bad my camera was fucked up. So if anyone has more photos, up them.
Thanks for tinkezione. The show was much too short imo, but you know how it is.
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

This was the first time I saw Tool live and it was simply amazing. I'm quite a social recluse, I really don't enjoy being in the midst of huge crowds of people and I never would have gone to a festival if it weren't for Tool. Their music has been such a good guide/comfort to me over the years I couldn't have missed this for anything.

The whole experience was healing and their performance got cold shivers going up my spine. It gave me such a high I couldn't even sleep that whole night, and I actually feel like I have taken a major step forward in my personal evolution.

I was probably about 10-13 rows from the front and I had room to move about a bit, trying to find a spot where I could see. Only thing that bothered me was people who kept wondering around in the audience since they were distracting my concentration. And like selevä said the show felt short but just because it was so good I never wanted it to end. But nothing could really dampen the beautiful experience this was to me.

Only specific songs I was hoping to hear were Forty six & 2 and Sober, so I got them both. They were even better live. Inspired by this performance I am going to make damn sure that the next time Tool plays even remotely close to me, I'm there.

Oh and thanks tinkezione, you took a lot better pics than I did :)
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: