Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
littlejason
07-01-2006, 03:16 PM

i got into Tool while on the road to where a lot of people got to through them. I jsut wound up relating to a lot of it very very well. Politcally, Ideologically, Spritually. It was neat because before that the only lyrics i had related to were so-sad woes me crap nu-metal bands. Now Tool is the heaviest thing i listen to, funny how they actually did a lot in getting me away from heavier music. Now i listen to folk music, ambient music, industrial music, and Tool.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #161
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: How has Tool affected your outlook

i got into Tool while on the road to where a lot of people got to through them. I jsut wound up relating to a lot of it very very well. Politcally, Ideologically, Spritually. It was neat because before that the only lyrics i had related to were so-sad woes me crap nu-metal bands. Now Tool is the heaviest thing i listen to, funny how they actually did a lot in getting me away from heavier music. Now i listen to folk music, ambient music, industrial music, and Tool.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
07-02-2006, 09:43 AM

Tool has its own quality heaviness. Nothing is heavy like Tool. They're heavy in their own way.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #162
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310
Tool has its own quality heaviness. Nothing is heavy like Tool. They're heavy in their own way.
cornerstone's Avatar cornerstone
07-02-2006, 01:17 PM

they got me here...

and therefore (indirectly) they got me into better music, and more music than I could possibly need.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #163
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 14273

they got me here...

and therefore (indirectly) they got me into better music, and more music than I could possibly need.
07-02-2006, 02:51 PM

There was a time when I thought I was a satanist, then I became a strong Christian and then I started to think. It's long ago, but it's lasting the longest and in this state I met Tool.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:51 PM   #164
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

There was a time when I thought I was a satanist, then I became a strong Christian and then I started to think. It's long ago, but it's lasting the longest and in this state I met Tool.
thumphrey05's Avatar thumphrey05
07-02-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor.samsa
One of the things Tool has taught me is how close minded much of my generation is to new music. While Tool is at par with the supergroups of the Seventies, my friends won't even give them a chance. It's depressing.
i 2nd this notion.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #165
lo taca te puete

Bincount™: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor.samsa
One of the things Tool has taught me is how close minded much of my generation is to new music. While Tool is at par with the supergroups of the Seventies, my friends won't even give them a chance. It's depressing.
i 2nd this notion.
T3rdEyeVisual's Avatar T3rdEyeVisual
07-03-2006, 09:37 AM

......when you are reading this particular thread you get only a handful of threads on one page, so you go from "page to page". I think this thread at the time I was reading it was 32 pages (screens full of threads), hence the "page 22"

Sorry if I confused folks.

Spiral Out....(to page 22) :)

A M E N ! ! !
Old 07-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #166
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

......when you are reading this particular thread you get only a handful of threads on one page, so you go from "page to page". I think this thread at the time I was reading it was 32 pages (screens full of threads), hence the "page 22"

Sorry if I confused folks.

Spiral Out....(to page 22) :)

A M E N ! ! !
07-03-2006, 02:28 PM

Ok, got it. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #167
Banned.

Ok, got it. Thanks.
without judgement's Avatar without judgement
07-04-2006, 06:20 PM

They taught me Satan. lol. and stuff about the 3rd eye. and appreciation for brilliant music
Old 07-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #168
Level 4 - Thinker

They taught me Satan. lol. and stuff about the 3rd eye. and appreciation for brilliant music
without judgement's Avatar without judgement
07-04-2006, 06:22 PM

and i learned to become one
Old 07-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #169
Level 4 - Thinker

and i learned to become one
07-04-2006, 07:56 PM

Yeah, Tool showed me a lot about Satan as well. Stuff I didn't know. How come you always swallow things that are taught to you? Shit, parenting is an important task. Goddamit. And people just go on and keep having babies like there's no tomorrow... that's were Angelina Jolie is the man (or, eh, woman). Adopt I say, adopt!
Old 07-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #170
Banned.

Yeah, Tool showed me a lot about Satan as well. Stuff I didn't know. How come you always swallow things that are taught to you? Shit, parenting is an important task. Goddamit. And people just go on and keep having babies like there's no tomorrow... that's were Angelina Jolie is the man (or, eh, woman). Adopt I say, adopt!
vinegar_tom's Avatar vinegar_tom
07-05-2006, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fat Matt
since tool, i have actually gone from Atheism to a form of buddhism. i have been much more happy, and relaxed. the music is almost theraputic. before that, all i listened to was Megadeth, Slipknot, Mudvayne, and Metallica. very angry music. i had a lot of headaches, my artwork and grades were declining. i now listen to mellower music, [tool, Jefferson airplane, pink floyd, a perfect circle]. not only have i become more at peace, i have become more open minded. i 'think for myself, question authority" just as tim-tim would have it.

Thanks Tool. a big tip of the hat to you.
I also call him Tim-Tim.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:44 AM   #171
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fat Matt
since tool, i have actually gone from Atheism to a form of buddhism. i have been much more happy, and relaxed. the music is almost theraputic. before that, all i listened to was Megadeth, Slipknot, Mudvayne, and Metallica. very angry music. i had a lot of headaches, my artwork and grades were declining. i now listen to mellower music, [tool, Jefferson airplane, pink floyd, a perfect circle]. not only have i become more at peace, i have become more open minded. i 'think for myself, question authority" just as tim-tim would have it.

Thanks Tool. a big tip of the hat to you.
I also call him Tim-Tim.
vinegar_tom's Avatar vinegar_tom
07-05-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
Is that a picture of Mikael Akerfeldt with a star on his cheek?

Nice.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:48 AM   #172
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
Is that a picture of Mikael Akerfeldt with a star on his cheek?

Nice.
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
07-31-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagunn
There's not much true Christianity going around thses days, eapecially not in America.

I sure wish there was.
I agree, true Christian values, as in, what types of behaviors and views should be acted out, require nothing Christian. It's just like any other faith or religion. The ultimate message underlying almost all religions is love.

So just don't be an asshole and don't argue with people that your way of not being an asshole is right and theirs is wrong. The world would be a Utopia.

Too bad 'asshole' is a big part of human nature.

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 07-31-2006, 07:28 PM   #173
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagunn
There's not much true Christianity going around thses days, eapecially not in America.

I sure wish there was.
I agree, true Christian values, as in, what types of behaviors and views should be acted out, require nothing Christian. It's just like any other faith or religion. The ultimate message underlying almost all religions is love.

So just don't be an asshole and don't argue with people that your way of not being an asshole is right and theirs is wrong. The world would be a Utopia.

Too bad 'asshole' is a big part of human nature.

Riff's Avatar Riff
07-31-2006, 09:43 PM

My Outlook is working the same just like always after the releasing of 10,000 Days.
I never knew it was to be affected?

oh, that's right it's because of this gangsta ass life i lead"
-bogsnarth

www.soundcloud.com/riff
Old 07-31-2006, 09:43 PM   #174
Can't you...SEE?

Bincount™: 4906

My Outlook is working the same just like always after the releasing of 10,000 Days.
I never knew it was to be affected?

oh, that's right it's because of this gangsta ass life i lead"
-bogsnarth

www.soundcloud.com/riff
08-02-2006, 06:15 AM

Well, since your perception is just a product of your environment then I'd say anything that you're exposed to alters your perception (even if in only unnoticible and neligible ways).

And the thread wasn't about 10,000 Days in particular; it is about what listening to Tool has done for your outlook on life/the world in general. I'm sure the vast majority of people that listen to Tool casually don't get a whole lot out of it, or maybe they do. The people on this board, however, delve into the lyrics, examine the metaphors (or like to think they do) and as such get something out of it, either positive or negative. Thusfar, according to this thread, the *vast* majority of people that have posted here say it has enhanced they're lives in some way.

(This is unless, of course, you're referring to the email client...)

Old 08-02-2006, 06:15 AM   #175
Level 8 - Vociferous

Well, since your perception is just a product of your environment then I'd say anything that you're exposed to alters your perception (even if in only unnoticible and neligible ways).

And the thread wasn't about 10,000 Days in particular; it is about what listening to Tool has done for your outlook on life/the world in general. I'm sure the vast majority of people that listen to Tool casually don't get a whole lot out of it, or maybe they do. The people on this board, however, delve into the lyrics, examine the metaphors (or like to think they do) and as such get something out of it, either positive or negative. Thusfar, according to this thread, the *vast* majority of people that have posted here say it has enhanced they're lives in some way.

(This is unless, of course, you're referring to the email client...)

No one and nobody's Avatar No one and nobody
08-02-2006, 08:20 PM

I got into tool back in the undertow days, when I was an angry teen. My views about god and religion and spirituality have not changed, but have been given shape by the insights that I took from the message. My views have grown and matured, much as the band has... The fundamental change was in what I considered to be art and musicianship... these guys don't bother to set the bar... they just go wherever they damn well please, and I have always been obliged to follow, with a smile on my face and a wink in my third eye.

By the way riff, nice chords... very catchy...

Last edited by No one and nobody; 08-02-2006 at 08:22 PM..
Old 08-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #176
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 791

I got into tool back in the undertow days, when I was an angry teen. My views about god and religion and spirituality have not changed, but have been given shape by the insights that I took from the message. My views have grown and matured, much as the band has... The fundamental change was in what I considered to be art and musicianship... these guys don't bother to set the bar... they just go wherever they damn well please, and I have always been obliged to follow, with a smile on my face and a wink in my third eye.

By the way riff, nice chords... very catchy...

Last edited by No one and nobody; 08-02-2006 at 08:22 PM..
phatfela1
08-08-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon08
i'm interested in why so many people have used Tool's music to "break free" of Christianity. I am a Christian, and true Christianity teaches love and acceptance of everyone, and release from negative energy. if you don't agree with your priest, try another church, because there are many open-minded Christians out there (like myself), you just have to know where to look. if your conversion has turned out for the better, i.e. you feel better about your life, then i fully support it, but it seems like Christianity-bashing has simply become a fad.
well put. isn't it funny how so many people on this site still think Tool is antireligious? even though they wove Christianity like crazy through 10,000 days. i especially love it when people are like "maynard would never submit to something that's brainwashing" -must've heard that one a million times.

Maynard reads the bible and believes in Christianity, oops did i say that? oh i'm sorry. didn't mean to offend anyone. the truth just kinda slipped.

Get over all your denials, Maynard is into Christianity, I'm very sorry.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #177
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon08
i'm interested in why so many people have used Tool's music to "break free" of Christianity. I am a Christian, and true Christianity teaches love and acceptance of everyone, and release from negative energy. if you don't agree with your priest, try another church, because there are many open-minded Christians out there (like myself), you just have to know where to look. if your conversion has turned out for the better, i.e. you feel better about your life, then i fully support it, but it seems like Christianity-bashing has simply become a fad.
well put. isn't it funny how so many people on this site still think Tool is antireligious? even though they wove Christianity like crazy through 10,000 days. i especially love it when people are like "maynard would never submit to something that's brainwashing" -must've heard that one a million times.

Maynard reads the bible and believes in Christianity, oops did i say that? oh i'm sorry. didn't mean to offend anyone. the truth just kinda slipped.

Get over all your denials, Maynard is into Christianity, I'm very sorry.
08-08-2006, 04:48 PM

^----- bait more?
Old 08-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #178
Level 3 - Talker

^----- bait more?
milair47's Avatar milair47
08-08-2006, 05:08 PM

Tool has broken me away from Christianity, and helped me open and expand my mind...with the use of psychedelic drugs, but I feel I am a better person for what Tool has opened me up to
Old 08-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #179
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

Tool has broken me away from Christianity, and helped me open and expand my mind...with the use of psychedelic drugs, but I feel I am a better person for what Tool has opened me up to
08-09-2006, 11:04 PM

So I'm wondering how many of you in this thread would suck Maynard dry, given the opportunity. It seems like about 80% of you would.

Oh, and a big WTF? to those of you who are claiming Tool has affected your outlook on religion. What a sad state of affairs we are in when 4 people that none of you have ever met and that have no interest in your life have enough influence on you as to affect your stance on such an important issue as religion (be it to make you a Christian, make you not a Christian, make you a Buddhist, whatever).

NOTE: I'm not saying people should or shouldn't be religious, should or shouldn't be Christians. I just think it's whack as hell that some of you have let a rock band influence your thoughts on such matters.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:04 PM   #180
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

So I'm wondering how many of you in this thread would suck Maynard dry, given the opportunity. It seems like about 80% of you would.

Oh, and a big WTF? to those of you who are claiming Tool has affected your outlook on religion. What a sad state of affairs we are in when 4 people that none of you have ever met and that have no interest in your life have enough influence on you as to affect your stance on such an important issue as religion (be it to make you a Christian, make you not a Christian, make you a Buddhist, whatever).

NOTE: I'm not saying people should or shouldn't be religious, should or shouldn't be Christians. I just think it's whack as hell that some of you have let a rock band influence your thoughts on such matters.
ktdude's Avatar ktdude
08-10-2006, 12:41 AM

^^^ So Tool has not influenced you in any way then? If you're saying they shouldn't influence people's religion then why should they influence or enrich people's lives in any way? God forbid something as shallow and pointless as music could have an effect on your life - hell no.

Tool has opened my mind in so many ways - to new ways of thinking, new ways of seeing the world, and to new music that I never listened to before. The changes are all for the better and I thank them for that. There is so much more to this amazing band than just a few guitar chords or a pretty song about love. They can teach, inspire, incite something in people who really want to hear it. If you just want to put them on in the background that's your call, but I'm so glad I took the time really, really listen.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:41 AM   #181
Level 9 3/4 - British

Bincount™: 15082

^^^ So Tool has not influenced you in any way then? If you're saying they shouldn't influence people's religion then why should they influence or enrich people's lives in any way? God forbid something as shallow and pointless as music could have an effect on your life - hell no.

Tool has opened my mind in so many ways - to new ways of thinking, new ways of seeing the world, and to new music that I never listened to before. The changes are all for the better and I thank them for that. There is so much more to this amazing band than just a few guitar chords or a pretty song about love. They can teach, inspire, incite something in people who really want to hear it. If you just want to put them on in the background that's your call, but I'm so glad I took the time really, really listen.
Mr Silver's Avatar Mr Silver
08-10-2006, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub

explain to me the difference in the perceived level of stupidity in a)being influenced by a bunch of guys in a band or b) being influenced by something I bunch of guys wrote a couple of thousand years ago.

religion an important issue? ok.

try spirituality and you might be getting somewhere...
Old 08-10-2006, 03:07 AM   #182
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 6041

Quote:

explain to me the difference in the perceived level of stupidity in a)being influenced by a bunch of guys in a band or b) being influenced by something I bunch of guys wrote a couple of thousand years ago.

religion an important issue? ok.

try spirituality and you might be getting somewhere...
Mr Silver's Avatar Mr Silver
08-10-2006, 03:08 AM

BTW mods this thread should be moved....
Old 08-10-2006, 03:08 AM   #183
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 6041

BTW mods this thread should be moved....
mr. nikki jensen's Avatar mr. nikki jensen
08-10-2006, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
I appreciate Tool because their music balances heavy, complex and melodic sounds while still being soulful and emotionally engaging. I've never been a Christian and Tool haven't changed my outlook on anything though.
almost the way i would choose to write it if i wasn't so god damn lazy at the moment
Old 08-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #184
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
I appreciate Tool because their music balances heavy, complex and melodic sounds while still being soulful and emotionally engaging. I've never been a Christian and Tool haven't changed my outlook on anything though.
almost the way i would choose to write it if i wasn't so god damn lazy at the moment
jake5824
08-10-2006, 06:58 AM

wow just reading the first couple posts of this thread some of you guys sound like complete losers. It took Tools music to help you make decisions in your life LOL. breaking the chains of christianity? LOL WTF!? its a religion like any other no one is forcing you too believe it. it would be like singers in the middle east saying Allah is a scam.
LOL think for yourself dont think youre getting enlightened because someone is playing a guitar on an effects board.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:58 AM   #185
Level 4 - Thinker

wow just reading the first couple posts of this thread some of you guys sound like complete losers. It took Tools music to help you make decisions in your life LOL. breaking the chains of christianity? LOL WTF!? its a religion like any other no one is forcing you too believe it. it would be like singers in the middle east saying Allah is a scam.
LOL think for yourself dont think youre getting enlightened because someone is playing a guitar on an effects board.
08-10-2006, 07:16 AM

^ "...too believe it." -> that really gives credit to your post and tell us a lot about yourself...

;)
Old 08-10-2006, 07:16 AM   #186
Banned.

^ "...too believe it." -> that really gives credit to your post and tell us a lot about yourself...

;)
RedMetalSox's Avatar RedMetalSox
08-10-2006, 12:30 PM

To put it in a nutshell, everything has changes since I found tool. I never seem to look at things the same way that I did before listening to them.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #187
King of Anal

Bincount™: 3492

To put it in a nutshell, everything has changes since I found tool. I never seem to look at things the same way that I did before listening to them.
paraflux
08-10-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake5824
Sounds like you have no experience with christianity. When it's all you have ever had to work with, it creates chains, just like anything else that you are attached to for no other reason besides it's all you know.

Sorry we cant all be the free-est of thinkers since birth like you.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #188
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake5824
Sounds like you have no experience with christianity. When it's all you have ever had to work with, it creates chains, just like anything else that you are attached to for no other reason besides it's all you know.

Sorry we cant all be the free-est of thinkers since birth like you.
blair's man sausage's Avatar blair's man sausage
08-10-2006, 12:43 PM

in short they've definately made me look into things more and get more in touch with my creative side in short since discovering opiate oh so many years ago
Old 08-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #189
the inside man

Bincount™: 20548

in short they've definately made me look into things more and get more in touch with my creative side in short since discovering opiate oh so many years ago
08-10-2006, 09:43 PM

^^^ 'Truth is One, though the sages know it by many' - Hindu precept

Old 08-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #190
Level 8 - Vociferous

^^^ 'Truth is One, though the sages know it by many' - Hindu precept

08-10-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:

So if Jesus had been a singer his teachings would have been rediculous to follow, right? Because if someone is entertaining then they certainly aren't credible to be influential. So okay, Confuscious, who should we allow to influence us?

I think all that people are saying here is that Tool triggered something in them. It could be a movie, a poem, a charismatic speaker, or a really good band with an intention and message.

Maynard has the voice and talent to sing about whatever he wants. It's not a coincidence that Tool makes the kind of music that they do. They are trying to change people's minds, or at least open them to new possibilities. All this thread is is a tribute to that concept.

Buddha, Jesus, whoever... they're all just men. The message is what is important. I don't think many fervant and devout Christians want to suck Jesus off but that doesn't mean they aren't moved by what he said. - and that's second-hand teaching.

"Mention this to me, mention anything, and watch the weather change." It means anyone can say anything to you and your entire outlook on life is susceptible to change. Tool is just the catalyst. They mention a lot of things. A lot of people's weather has changed as a result.

Maybe you'll have better luck next time. Trust me, there will be a next time. Moksha is no where close to you nor vice versa.

Last edited by BlanketEffect; 08-10-2006 at 09:59 PM..
Old 08-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #191
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

So if Jesus had been a singer his teachings would have been rediculous to follow, right? Because if someone is entertaining then they certainly aren't credible to be influential. So okay, Confuscious, who should we allow to influence us?

I think all that people are saying here is that Tool triggered something in them. It could be a movie, a poem, a charismatic speaker, or a really good band with an intention and message.

Maynard has the voice and talent to sing about whatever he wants. It's not a coincidence that Tool makes the kind of music that they do. They are trying to change people's minds, or at least open them to new possibilities. All this thread is is a tribute to that concept.

Buddha, Jesus, whoever... they're all just men. The message is what is important. I don't think many fervant and devout Christians want to suck Jesus off but that doesn't mean they aren't moved by what he said. - and that's second-hand teaching.

"Mention this to me, mention anything, and watch the weather change." It means anyone can say anything to you and your entire outlook on life is susceptible to change. Tool is just the catalyst. They mention a lot of things. A lot of people's weather has changed as a result.

Maybe you'll have better luck next time. Trust me, there will be a next time. Moksha is no where close to you nor vice versa.

Last edited by BlanketEffect; 08-10-2006 at 09:59 PM..
08-11-2006, 11:30 AM

Uh, yeah. This thread is a necessary escape valve for some of us tool fans...
Old 08-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #192
Banned.

Uh, yeah. This thread is a necessary escape valve for some of us tool fans...
08-15-2006, 08:05 AM

Well not only that.

I am under the impression that occasionally some of the band members browse the boards. Not often, of course, they're very busy people, but I think sometimes they look over them...

So anway, I wanted a kind of tribute to the band in this thread. Something to tangibly say 'You made this music, put a lot of effort and inspiration into it and as a result, this is how you've touched my life and made it better'

Not everyone will get this out of listening to Tool. Some people may even think the idea is rediculous (see above posts). But, in the end, the group of people that Maynard and Company have affected positively is a beautiful thing. What a wonderful way to spend your creativity on. It doesn't end with Tool. You take what you learn and you pass it on. It trickles down. Tool is just at the top because of their platform........

And if I were an artist and put a lot of work into trying to help people I'd be really happy to see a thread like this. So, in part, I was just hoping it would serve as a 'thank you' note to the band, both communal and personal.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:05 AM   #193
Level 8 - Vociferous

Well not only that.

I am under the impression that occasionally some of the band members browse the boards. Not often, of course, they're very busy people, but I think sometimes they look over them...

So anway, I wanted a kind of tribute to the band in this thread. Something to tangibly say 'You made this music, put a lot of effort and inspiration into it and as a result, this is how you've touched my life and made it better'

Not everyone will get this out of listening to Tool. Some people may even think the idea is rediculous (see above posts). But, in the end, the group of people that Maynard and Company have affected positively is a beautiful thing. What a wonderful way to spend your creativity on. It doesn't end with Tool. You take what you learn and you pass it on. It trickles down. Tool is just at the top because of their platform........

And if I were an artist and put a lot of work into trying to help people I'd be really happy to see a thread like this. So, in part, I was just hoping it would serve as a 'thank you' note to the band, both communal and personal.

HelenA's Avatar HelenA
09-30-2006, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post
And that's what tool did for me and my salsa dancing.

*lol*

among other small things... ;)
AND look where this has led ... see what happens when you dance with a girl...

lol
Old 09-30-2006, 04:34 AM   #194
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post
And that's what tool did for me and my salsa dancing.

*lol*

among other small things... ;)

lol
09-30-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenA View Post

lol
pwnd. for nine months!
Old 09-30-2006, 08:28 AM   #195
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenA View Post

lol
pwnd. for nine months!
tool fan
10-26-2006, 11:48 AM

Wow, this is some heavy shit man, very heavy. I had no idea folks were so profoundly affected by this music. I 'm happy for those people who have been helped by Tool. Alot of people have stated Tool's music has helped them break the chains of christianity. To me that's a good thing because I beleive any organized religion is a prison for your mind. Religion is the bane of mankind.

I grew up in the 70's but don't "live in the past" musically. For me personally, Tool has opened up a new frontier in music at a time when things had started to stagnate. Tool is state of the art. They are cutting edge. Tool is in a category of their own. The closest analogy I can come up with is Tool is this generation's "Pink Floyd". I'm glad I can come along for the ride because these boys can seriously fucking rock. Amen, brother.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:48 AM   #196
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Wow, this is some heavy shit man, very heavy. I had no idea folks were so profoundly affected by this music. I 'm happy for those people who have been helped by Tool. Alot of people have stated Tool's music has helped them break the chains of christianity. To me that's a good thing because I beleive any organized religion is a prison for your mind. Religion is the bane of mankind.

I grew up in the 70's but don't "live in the past" musically. For me personally, Tool has opened up a new frontier in music at a time when things had started to stagnate. Tool is state of the art. They are cutting edge. Tool is in a category of their own. The closest analogy I can come up with is Tool is this generation's "Pink Floyd". I'm glad I can come along for the ride because these boys can seriously fucking rock. Amen, brother.
tool fan
10-26-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swall View Post
What other band is even remotely as complex as Tool or Floyd? I recently rediscovered Floyd mainly to feed my hunger for Tool-esq. bands. Isis isn’t there and King Crimson I’m working on. Any suggestions?
Off the top of my head, I can't think of one. I do really like the grunge bands of the 90's like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. What do you think of these groups?
Old 10-26-2006, 12:37 PM   #197
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swall View Post
What other band is even remotely as complex as Tool or Floyd? I recently rediscovered Floyd mainly to feed my hunger for Tool-esq. bands. Isis isn’t there and King Crimson I’m working on. Any suggestions?
Off the top of my head, I can't think of one. I do really like the grunge bands of the 90's like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. What do you think of these groups?
Syd
10-26-2006, 12:56 PM

I don't know that my "outlook" has been affected too much by Tool, but I have been able to identify with something in the music and something in the lyrics - but what I connect with changes depending on where I am at in my head when I hear it.
Example using only one cd:
Undertow was a party cd for me in the 90s - I didn't look too deep - all about fun
(years pass, I become a Tool freak...)
Last year, my job was super crappy and stressful and I needed the benefits and pay for my family but I couldn't get a inter-office transfer and I was freaking out. I started listening to Undertow again. I would drive home and picture my boss and sing swamp song at the top of my lungs and release all this anger I had before I got home. Finially I got the inter-office transfer and over time I really got to stick it to this boss like you would never believe - it was sweet revenge.
Now when I hear Undertow, it makes me happy - it reminds me of that time and that I stuck it out and I survived it.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #198
Syd
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

I don't know that my "outlook" has been affected too much by Tool, but I have been able to identify with something in the music and something in the lyrics - but what I connect with changes depending on where I am at in my head when I hear it.
Example using only one cd:
Undertow was a party cd for me in the 90s - I didn't look too deep - all about fun
(years pass, I become a Tool freak...)
Last year, my job was super crappy and stressful and I needed the benefits and pay for my family but I couldn't get a inter-office transfer and I was freaking out. I started listening to Undertow again. I would drive home and picture my boss and sing swamp song at the top of my lungs and release all this anger I had before I got home. Finially I got the inter-office transfer and over time I really got to stick it to this boss like you would never believe - it was sweet revenge.
Now when I hear Undertow, it makes me happy - it reminds me of that time and that I stuck it out and I survived it.
10-26-2006, 05:21 PM

^ Be patient. Wait it out. If there were no rewards to reap...

Numerous times in my life has this line been my mantra and fuel for my strength.

And, on the idea behind great bands... there are many amazing bands and artists, but there is a certain level that Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Tool, perhaps a few more, have attained. Many are amazing but are not quite on the level.

For example, I love Alice in Chains and think that they are amazing in all respects - however, there is something about it that let's me know that they are no Pink Floyd or Tool. This is true for most great bands. They are very good, but not quite on *the level*

Old 10-26-2006, 05:21 PM   #199
Level 8 - Vociferous

Numerous times in my life has this line been my mantra and fuel for my strength.

And, on the idea behind great bands... there are many amazing bands and artists, but there is a certain level that Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Tool, perhaps a few more, have attained. Many are amazing but are not quite on the level.

For example, I love Alice in Chains and think that they are amazing in all respects - however, there is something about it that let's me know that they are no Pink Floyd or Tool. This is true for most great bands. They are very good, but not quite on *the level*

tool fan
10-27-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketEffect View Post

Agreed. But I have to say AIC is my #2 all time favorite band and the album Dirt is probably the second best album of the 90's behind AEnima. Too bad they flamed out.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:32 AM   #200
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketEffect View Post

Agreed. But I have to say AIC is my #2 all time favorite band and the album Dirt is probably the second best album of the 90's behind AEnima. Too bad they flamed out.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply