Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
10-26-2006, 05:17 PM

I'm putting this in the 10,000 Days forum because we are in the 10,000 Days era of Tool and I feel that this is where it belongs...

So the other day I was sitting around, listening to live Tool bootlegs. And I realized...Tool doesn't like live recordings but a lot of their live shows have been professionally recorded.

First let's start with 12/31/91--the show from Opiate. Somewhere out there, the full show is floating around. In great quality, no less.

How about the few shows from the early 90s that were soundboard recorded? Like the 93 Lollapalooza that was broadcast on the radio.

Then there's the Salival era shows. I doubt they just said "okay guys, tonight is the night for Salival so don't fuck it up," they probably recorded tons of shows and picked the best Third Eye/Part of Me/Pushit/You Lied versions.

During 2002, Tool did filming for a DVD. a DVD that has never seen the light of day...

People have said they've seen videocameras at this 2006 tour. Eh?

And the Vicarious music video..?

Anyway, wouldn't it be badass if they put all those shows together, professionally mastered them (so they sounded as kickass as Opiate or Part of Me) and then released them into a big box that contained a few CDs of live stuff and a couple DVDs too? And maybe throw in their music videos recorded in a decent bitrate (Salival DVD was horrible quality).

The weirdest thing about this was, the next day after I thought of this, I was browsing herzeleid.com and looking at Rammstein news, and they have a new boxset coming out (Volkerball) which is almost EXACTLY what I was thinking about from Tool--the limited edition of that release comes with:

-140min live concert DVD
-90min documentary DVD
-75min live shows CD
-190page photo book

I know it's not gonna happen, I just wanted to share my thoughts. And maybe see if anyone else is a dreamer like me.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988
My idea for a box set

I'm putting this in the 10,000 Days forum because we are in the 10,000 Days era of Tool and I feel that this is where it belongs...

So the other day I was sitting around, listening to live Tool bootlegs. And I realized...Tool doesn't like live recordings but a lot of their live shows have been professionally recorded.

First let's start with 12/31/91--the show from Opiate. Somewhere out there, the full show is floating around. In great quality, no less.

How about the few shows from the early 90s that were soundboard recorded? Like the 93 Lollapalooza that was broadcast on the radio.

Then there's the Salival era shows. I doubt they just said "okay guys, tonight is the night for Salival so don't fuck it up," they probably recorded tons of shows and picked the best Third Eye/Part of Me/Pushit/You Lied versions.

During 2002, Tool did filming for a DVD. a DVD that has never seen the light of day...

People have said they've seen videocameras at this 2006 tour. Eh?

And the Vicarious music video..?

Anyway, wouldn't it be badass if they put all those shows together, professionally mastered them (so they sounded as kickass as Opiate or Part of Me) and then released them into a big box that contained a few CDs of live stuff and a couple DVDs too? And maybe throw in their music videos recorded in a decent bitrate (Salival DVD was horrible quality).

The weirdest thing about this was, the next day after I thought of this, I was browsing herzeleid.com and looking at Rammstein news, and they have a new boxset coming out (Volkerball) which is almost EXACTLY what I was thinking about from Tool--the limited edition of that release comes with:

-140min live concert DVD
-90min documentary DVD
-75min live shows CD
-190page photo book

I know it's not gonna happen, I just wanted to share my thoughts. And maybe see if anyone else is a dreamer like me.
10-26-2006, 09:46 PM

tool don't listen to there fans - they'll release some stuff when they are 'ready' - most likely when they don't want to or can't tour anymore - maynard has said himself a live dvd will stop people coming to the shows.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 36
Re: My idea for a box set

tool don't listen to there fans - they'll release some stuff when they are 'ready' - most likely when they don't want to or can't tour anymore - maynard has said himself a live dvd will stop people coming to the shows.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
10-27-2006, 01:05 AM

i'm thinking that tool'll release something AFTER it ends, kinda how alice in chains released more cds after calling it "quits" than while they were actually making music. it'd be better than dishing out five "best of" albums, me thinks...
Old 10-27-2006, 01:05 AM   #3
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

i'm thinking that tool'll release something AFTER it ends, kinda how alice in chains released more cds after calling it "quits" than while they were actually making music. it'd be better than dishing out five "best of" albums, me thinks...
10-27-2006, 04:57 AM

Here's my idea for a box set: hushypushy's head in a box.

I'm just being stupid. It's early and I'm a little delirious.

In all seriousness, I would probably invest in a nice home theater with a big ol' high-def t.v. if they put out something like this. The only change I would make is that after all of this time, I think they should put out a really comprehensive live DVD with multiple versions of songs played on various tours. I could go for seeing four or five versions of Opiate, Prison Sex, or even Sober, played over the span of Tool's career. Same for any other songs really. Even the new songs. I'm thinking that at this point, they owe us about a 3 - 4 hour live DVD. I'm greedy.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:57 AM   #4
Prana

Bincount™: 8

Here's my idea for a box set: hushypushy's head in a box.

I'm just being stupid. It's early and I'm a little delirious.

In all seriousness, I would probably invest in a nice home theater with a big ol' high-def t.v. if they put out something like this. The only change I would make is that after all of this time, I think they should put out a really comprehensive live DVD with multiple versions of songs played on various tours. I could go for seeing four or five versions of Opiate, Prison Sex, or even Sober, played over the span of Tool's career. Same for any other songs really. Even the new songs. I'm thinking that at this point, they owe us about a 3 - 4 hour live DVD. I'm greedy.
10-27-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiotica View Post
maynard has said himself a live dvd will stop people coming to the shows.
man that's such a ridiculous statement. Sounds like something he would just bullshit...

I mean first of all, not everyone lives in a place that Tool goes to on a tour. And shit, it's not like Tool isn't selling out arenas, if they released DVDs that wouldn't halt that many people.

And also, I think the DVD acts as a promotional tool (no pun intended) for the shows. It can't be a negative. I own four different DVDs of Les Claypool's bands, and I've seen him four times and I'm going to see Primus a month from now. If anything, watching the new Primus live DVD that just came out has made me MORE excited to see the show. Sheesh.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiotica View Post
maynard has said himself a live dvd will stop people coming to the shows.
man that's such a ridiculous statement. Sounds like something he would just bullshit...

I mean first of all, not everyone lives in a place that Tool goes to on a tour. And shit, it's not like Tool isn't selling out arenas, if they released DVDs that wouldn't halt that many people.

And also, I think the DVD acts as a promotional tool (no pun intended) for the shows. It can't be a negative. I own four different DVDs of Les Claypool's bands, and I've seen him four times and I'm going to see Primus a month from now. If anything, watching the new Primus live DVD that just came out has made me MORE excited to see the show. Sheesh.
10-27-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post

Agreed. I've yet to experience anything that diminishes my desire to see Tool live. Before the shows I saw on this tour, I watched a bunch of videos on youtube. That just psyched me up even more. Maynard should consider that a live DVD would likely expose people to Tool live who might not otherwise go see them and that after seeing a live DVD, they'd want to go experience what they saw live. In fact, this issue is so important that I believe that we should organize a boycott of all Tool shows, and the purchase of all Tool products, until they give us the goddamn DVD. We'll have 'em beggin' for mercy in no time.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Prana

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post

Agreed. I've yet to experience anything that diminishes my desire to see Tool live. Before the shows I saw on this tour, I watched a bunch of videos on youtube. That just psyched me up even more. Maynard should consider that a live DVD would likely expose people to Tool live who might not otherwise go see them and that after seeing a live DVD, they'd want to go experience what they saw live. In fact, this issue is so important that I believe that we should organize a boycott of all Tool shows, and the purchase of all Tool products, until they give us the goddamn DVD. We'll have 'em beggin' for mercy in no time.
10-27-2006, 04:02 PM

The only problem with that is that I can't resist seeing a Tool show in the meantime, the last show was so kickass that I can't wait to go back.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #7
Level 11 - Clamorous

The only problem with that is that I can't resist seeing a Tool show in the meantime, the last show was so kickass that I can't wait to go back.
10-27-2006, 04:41 PM

I know. I'd last about 3 seconds and then abandon the boycott. Truth is, I saw both L.A. shows, and now me and a friend have already agreed to go see two shows again when they come around. Not to mention that I flew out to L.A. from Memphis to go see them. I'm kinda hooked.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
Prana

I know. I'd last about 3 seconds and then abandon the boycott. Truth is, I saw both L.A. shows, and now me and a friend have already agreed to go see two shows again when they come around. Not to mention that I flew out to L.A. from Memphis to go see them. I'm kinda hooked.
10-27-2006, 06:30 PM

Word. I got fucked, I didn't see Coachella (my gf did though...which is a horrible story that i won't share) and I missed the first Oakalnd show (tickets sold out in like 10 seconds). But I did see the second Oakland. I hope they play LA next summer, I'll drive down there to check it out. Seems like the most kickass shows are for the hometown fans.

edit: hmm, just found out something interesting. I decided to read my Salival booklet for kicks, and it says:

Live songs recorded at: Salt Lake City, UT, Portland, OR, San Diego, CA, Denver, CO

so one would assume that there are four complete, official Tool master tapes hidden away somewhere?

Last edited by hushypushy; 10-27-2006 at 07:53 PM..
Old 10-27-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
Level 11 - Clamorous

Word. I got fucked, I didn't see Coachella (my gf did though...which is a horrible story that i won't share) and I missed the first Oakalnd show (tickets sold out in like 10 seconds). But I did see the second Oakland. I hope they play LA next summer, I'll drive down there to check it out. Seems like the most kickass shows are for the hometown fans.

edit: hmm, just found out something interesting. I decided to read my Salival booklet for kicks, and it says:

Live songs recorded at: Salt Lake City, UT, Portland, OR, San Diego, CA, Denver, CO

so one would assume that there are four complete, official Tool master tapes hidden away somewhere?

Last edited by hushypushy; 10-27-2006 at 07:53 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply