opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 02. Eulogy
User Name
Password
Old 08-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
About Jesus?

One day many years ago when I was just a wee lad, my mother said to me

"I love this song. I love how he talks about Jesus. 'he took a stand on every living thing'. Ha. It's true"

I always acceptrd this to be true, and I don't see any evidince to contradict it so I think I'll stick with it.

If you disagree, please let me know why.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12
Re: About Jesus?

It's pretty open-ended, I think. Could be about any person who elevates themselves to a high position and is cut down when we need them most, like Jesus or Bill Hicks. Or it could be about arseholes who start 'worship-me' cults, like L. Ron Hubbard.

My MySpace for tunes:
www.myspace.com/bionicanchovy
Old 08-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Yeah. I wouldn't say FOR SURE it's about Jesus. But it seems it could be. But I also think it could be about anyone and no one if that makes sence. More like a song for nothing. Something everyone can accept and relate too. I mean really, everyone knows someone that this song could be to, and it might even be yourself...
Old 08-30-2006, 04:20 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

There are some lines in this song where I think it must be about Jesus. Although others are far less respectful eg: "get off your fuckin cross" which is perhaps alluding to guys like Hubbard who basically bastardize the teachings of Jesus and others.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:57 AM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Bleh, another one of these forums. Where do you get Jesus from these lyrics?

"So loud"
"Not all martyrs see divinity"
"Ranting and pointing his finger at everything but his heart."
"No way to recall what it was that you had said to ME??"

"Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?
Come down.
Get off your fuckin cross.
We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr.

To ascend you must die.
You must be crucified"

This song is about someone who is still alive, someone Maynard/the band knows, eulogy is a metaphor for the death of their relationship.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbiz View Post
Bleh, another one of these forums. Where do you get Jesus from these lyrics?

"So loud"
"Not all martyrs see divinity"
"Ranting and pointing his finger at everything but his heart."
"No way to recall what it was that you had said to ME??"

"Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?
Come down.

To ascend you must die.
You must be crucified"

This song is about someone who is still alive, someone Maynard/the band knows, eulogy is a metaphor for the death of their relationship.
I agree
Old 09-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbiz View Post

Theres more reason to believe that this song is about Jesus then there is that. Keep in mind a martyr is someone who died for what they believed in. Jesus being the most well known. Also the whole cross thing and dying for people. I've seen these post on this song about why people think its Hicks, Hubbard, Leery, Cobain, and Maynard and I dont get why anyone would think this song is about anyone but Jesus. Is it becuase people dont want to think it's about Jesus cuase if so they'll go to hell for liking Tool or something? I think at the time Maynard wrote this song he was pissed off at the religion he was raised in and wanted to lash out towards something he felt let him down.. I may be wrong but to me it just sounds like sarcasm directed towards Jesus like they don't believe he was the son of god, but believe he exsisted and claimed he was...

Last edited by caltch; 09-27-2006 at 03:33 PM..
Old 09-27-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

'cause it's just NOT about jesus, let's move on already. fuckin', seriously...

jesus + eulogy = NONSENSE! ...et moronic.

i guess if you REALLY wanted to search for something to relate this song to jesus, then, sure, it might be somewhere in there. ...but that could be said about anything. fuck, people ACTUALLY thought that this song had something to do with cobain or d'amour. couldn't we just stop and think about the song for a second?!
Old 09-29-2006, 09:09 AM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I don't think that it's about Jesus, Cobain, Hicks, ...

In my opinion, it's about religious fanatism and all the fools that want to die for religion (or something other they believe in).
Old 09-29-2006, 09:44 AM   #10
Banned.

Bincount™: 24

Dude, it's totally about Alec Baldwin.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:16 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
'cause it's just NOT about jesus, let's move on already. fuckin', seriously...

jesus + eulogy = NONSENSE! ...et moronic.
Even despite the references to the cross, the line "You claimed all this time you'd die for me"? Those are nothing but references to Jesus so obviously if its not about him in perticualer he was definently on his mind when he wrote the song. I admit it may not be about Jesus, But acting so sure about it thats moronic.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalnuisance.com View Post
Dude, it's totally about Alec Baldwin.
lmfao Thank you...this came just in time. I was starting to get very annoyed with all the morons who were posting up until this point. Thanks for the break.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:37 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakedmonkeychik420 View Post
lmfao Thank you...this came just in time. I was starting to get very annoyed with all the morons who were posting up until this point. Thanks for the break.
Quiet, men are speaking...
Old 10-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

The first time that I tried to interpret this song I came up with the opinion that he was talking about jesus. After more thought I came to the conclusion that it isin't about anyone specific but rather martyers in general. Awwww skeet skeet skeet!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pureguava_ View Post
The first time that I tried to interpret this song I came up with the opinion that he was talking about jesus. After more thought I came to the conclusion that it isin't about anyone specific but rather martyers in general. Awwww skeet skeet skeet!
That's pretty much the consensus I have came to.
and even though I'm a Christian...I love Tool, they're my favorite band for many reasons. Maynard specifically said in a previous Interview in MetalEdge magazine that teh reason Tool doesnt post lyrics is because he wants us to have our OWN interpretation of the music. Which makes perfect sense to why there is a controversy over what this song means. It could be about anyone coming from a personal perspective, but from what I interpret, it seems like Maynard is probably has Jesus in mind when he wrote this song.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:19 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretforyourfigure462 View Post
That's pretty much the consensus I have came to.
and even though I'm a Christian...I love Tool, they're my favorite band for many reasons. Maynard specifically said in a previous Interview in MetalEdge magazine that teh reason Tool doesnt post lyrics is because he wants us to have our OWN interpretation of the music. Which makes perfect sense to why there is a controversy over what this song means. It could be about anyone coming from a personal perspective, but from what I interpret, it seems like Maynard is probably has Jesus in mind when he wrote this song.
Tool post thier lyrics on thier site. From what I hear typed out by Maynard himself.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #17
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltch View Post
Tool post thier lyrics on thier site. From what I hear typed out by Maynard himself.
In case you didn't realize, you're responding to a post made over a year ago.

sings..."followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits..."
Old 07-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #18
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

i listened to this today and struck a chord.

i know personally many people that speak of the messiah complex. one form of it is believing they are savior. whatever the misery be, they will eventually be able to save everything, and everyone. the ones that speak most of this, are heavy psychedelic users.

i think the fear of death, and the fear of being a failure are the 2 are the biggest fears. the person in this song is fighting for their beliefs. maybe this person was over zealous, but, maybe they really were onto something. maybe an idea for technology, or an idea for enlightenment. building a following rapidly. mostly because humans needs to believe something is the key, they answer. when in all reality it is in themselves. they hold the key to their enlightenment, their satisfaction, and well being.

so perhaps this song could be about jesus, because he was spreading the idea of love.

then there is the part of me feeling, just by saying all of that. im the one standing above the crowd.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:17 AM   #19
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ænima

"Danny Carey labeled L. Ron Hubbard as the subject of 'Eulogy'".... even better than being about Jesus ;)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosenbarger13 View Post
One day many years ago when I was just a wee lad, my mother said to me

"I love this song. I love how he talks about Jesus. 'he took a stand on every living thing'. Ha. It's true"

I always acceptrd this to be true, and I don't see any evidince to contradict it so I think I'll stick with it.

If you disagree, please let me know why.
I was raised in a Christian environment, and I have come to this interpretation as well. This is my reasoning:

The Christ story is rife with deception and hypocrisy. He had a lot to say, but as they say, judge one by his actions and you will never be fooled by his words: he had a lot of absolutely fucking nothing to say. He came into the public eye, condemning human nature and professing to be our one hope, our savior. His qualifications? Nothing, nothing but what he alone claimed. He acted as though he made a great sacrifice for all humanity, but who the fuck asked him to? Who was he to determine that we needed saving? The human condition is one that has been as it is for our entire existence. If we choose to transcend, that is our business, our decision. He told everyone that he would die, and then when he "returned," condemned them for believing him dead. Blind faith before reason, children! That is the way of the lord. I'm out of time, but if this thread is still alive, tonight I'll be back to speak further on this. I love this song. Even if no one is reading this, I'll still return. So long.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #21
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

I like the username: THUNDERCHODE
Old 07-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #22
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

ego death, eulogy for the ego
Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus. View Post
I like the username: THUNDERCHODE
Thanks, I consider myself a chode enthusiast.

Anyways, continuing with the song... I'm doing it this way to keep focused, for the sake of time:

He had alot to say.
He had alot of nothing to say.
We'll miss him.

: Said all I had to say about this in my previous post

So long.
We wish you well.
You told us how you weren't afraid to die.
Well then, so long.
Don't cry.
Or feel too down.
Not all martyrs see divinity.
But at least you tried.

: Jesus always spoke of his divinity and how he would ascend to live with his father, the God of Heaven. So why in the hell should we give a shit if he died? He's moving on to a better place. Good fucking riddance. And if we should deny his divinity, oh well. You win some, you lose some. Better luck next time.

Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice that was strong and loud.
We'll miss him.
Ranting and pointing his finger
At everything but his heart.
We'll miss him.

: Always standing above the crowd, his ability to capture our attention elevated him, and gave him status above the rest of us. What a guy. We all look up to him and admire the way he feigned humility, yet spoke down on others in a roundabout way. True talent! You might have been a dirty lying bastard, but you had that going for you. We'll miss you.

No way to recall
What it was that you had said to me,
Like I care at all.

So loud.
You sure could yell.
You took a stand on every little thing
And so loud.

: It's all been said. It's there, written for everyone to see, and now we interpret and explain it as we will. He seemed to have an answer for everything; answers that somehow distracted us from him and his true visions, his selfish agenda, masquerading as salvation, yet pointless in the end. Lovely.

Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice so strong and loud and I
Swallowed his facade cuz I'm so
Eager to identify with
Someone above the ground,
Someone who seemed to feel the same,
Someone prepared to lead the way, with
Someone who would die for me.

: Not much lyrical mystery here. The words are plain, exposing the exact reasons every man would fall for such an image, to worship it, as they have with countless others throughout history. But the voice is no longer distorted or stifled, as it was in the quieter verses. It sounds clear, as it speaks it's understanding of the illusion.

Will you? Will you now?
Would you die for me?
Don't you fuckin lie.

Don't you step out of line.
Don't you fuckin lie.

: This part is amazing to me. Up until now, even during the "chorus" parts, the voice (of inward examination and reflection, observing the facts and interpreting actions) of the song has been mostly subdued (muffled, by misdirection and lies, symbolized by the way it's filtered/edited/whatever electronically). But here it EXPLODES with anger, realizing the way it's been deceived, and it lashes out. This is the release, as you come to terms with the veil of bullshit covering your eyes. And something else that occurred to me just now, not really related lyrically but interesting just the same: Are you familiar with the story of Jesus healing the blind man? He fucking picks up MUD FROM THE GROUND, rubs it in the blind man's eyes, and tells him his sight has returned. Suspend faith for a moment, and look at that story objectively, and also metaphorically: it's insulting. It's a man rubbing dirt in our eyes and telling us that we can see better than we could before. Alright, back to the song...

You've claimed all this time that you would die for me.
Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?

: I covered this in my first post. He told he would die, so when he did, we thought, "okay, he's dead. Logical. Makes sense. That's the way things work when people die, they're dead." Then, according to the story, PLOT TWIST: HE'S BACK! That'll teach you to reason for yourself, motherfuckers! Let this be a lesson to you: Don't think. Just believe everything I say. Life is better my way.

You had alot to say.
You had alot of nothing to say.

Come down.

To ascend you must die.
You must be crucified
For your sins and your lies. [sic]
Goodbye...

: The voice is done with this illusion. Get the fuck down, charlatan, we're ready for the next one, and we won't be fooled again. They want to ascend, fine. Let them. We'll shred their stories and lies and stake them up and make an example out of them, that our eyes might remain clear and free of illusion. In the end, you did us a favor. We learned our lesson, and through our pain, we remember it. The end.

Tune in tomorrow for Pushit.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: