opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 11-27-2002, 09:35 AM   #1
predicticus maximus

Bincount™: 2
Drumwork

I personally think that there hasnt been suck good drumwork on one album for a long time. Lateralus is possibly the best all-round album by tool. It amazing, i mean the drums in T&L, Triad, Reflection, and The Grudge are amazing. Great Album
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:01 AM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 15
i personally think that the drumming on aenima was a little more diverse, but the drumming on lateralus is just amazing... danny is absolutely flawless, totally.. i think it probably has something to do with the people he was inspired by... i also think that aloke dutta made him become, not so much a good tabla player (i've yet to hear him play the tabla, though i don't doubt that he is probably amazing already), but i think aloke trained him in a way to make him become a better drummer, and all around musician... i think to become excellent at one instrument, you must become enlightened with..

a) the mechanics of the instrument you want to play

and..

b) familiarizing yourself with a similar instrument, maybe less involved than the instrument you are trying to play..

take, for instance, paul and adam... each respectively played the OTHER'S instrument before they started the instrument they played on the albums they created.... i think that is why each have become so good at what they do...

now that paul is no longer in tool, with the new band he plays in, he went back to guitar, and i've heard him play, and he's, quite frankly, amazing...

that's my rant. thanx.

xBILLYx

-- Third Eye
Old 11-27-2002, 12:28 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
i am a drummer and for the longest time john bohnam held my number one all time drummer spot.

october 2nd 2001 i sat in the nose bleed section of madison square garden. as i was leaving the show on october 1st, or as i like to call it the best concert in history, i was approached by a couple looking to sell their tickets for real cheap. i figured why not. so i sat perched and was longing for the GA section as i was there the night before. the concert started and i had a perfect view of danny playing the whole night. it's not just what he can do, technically that is enough, but its just that he can do it with such incredible ease. he is beyond words and the greatest drummer of all time.

I want to tell what the forests
were like

I will have to speak
in a forgotten language

- W. S. Merwin
Old 11-27-2002, 04:01 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Well I think that behind Mick Portman of Dream Theater Danny Carry is the best drummer to ever live! I went to see Tool for the first time a few months ago and couldn't belive how great Danny was! Especially on The Grudge (the drum role at the end where he he hits stuff like 100 times in 10 seconds) and on Reflection, when they give him the chance to stand out amoung the music and play his heart out!

Also at the concert after reflection they played a 15min or so instermentel with the guy's from Mashugga and that had the most increadable drum part I had ever seen (by a long shot) thats why I belive that Danny Carry is a holy figure and should have a bible of his own!
Old 11-28-2002, 09:56 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

That 15 or so instrumental your ralking about it "triad"
Old 12-04-2002, 11:02 AM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 75
Quote:
Originally posted by canable friends
think that behind Mick Portman of Dream Theater
** Mike Portnoy

..just thought I'd correct you.

- Cheers, the bringer of basses
Old 12-09-2002, 02:46 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

{11}

Well, I think Danny is one of the bests rock-drummers at present time...
Many of the modern drummers have to be inspired by him, his art and his influences...
Old 12-12-2002, 01:10 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Dannys drumming is way more technical on lateralus than on any af tools earlier albums in my opinion. hes progressed as a drummer since Aenima and hopefully hell keep progressing.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:53 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

I agree with Mr. Hey. the Lateralus album definitely has the most technical drum parts in it than any of the other albums. I'm a drummer, and my band plays a lot of tool covers, and Mr. Carey has 120% of my respect as a musician. I respect his technical ability, but not only that, I respect his creativity more.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:13 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Danny is incredible but...

No way in hell i wouldn't say danny is incredible. Not to make him sound bad at all but just to add a little more color to the spectrum, try listening to Billy Cobham, dennis chambers or marc minneman. Billy is a total beast, he has teqnique out the wazoo he can play with drumsticks as though they were mallets (fast as hell too). Dennis is great too, he can groove like none other and Marc minneman... all i can say is watch him on a snare drum... there ya go. check out these drummers too if you like danny.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: