Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
panchochichi
04-27-2006, 11:32 PM

I enjoy tools music and have never invested much time in understanding their personalities until recently when i was curious to see what they behaved like in interviews. If i was just to judge maynards personality by his lyrics i would imagine a smiling polite guy, who cares deep down for people, with an edge of cynical wit.
Watching interviews danny seems like a real likeable guy but maynard is just a fucking cock. Its not even " oh hes a funny asshole" hes just an expressionless dick with half wit comments, up his own ass about how enlightened he is. Maybe he does this so that dumbasses dont look up to him, or maybe he's truly this way but i have to wonder why its so hard for him to smile and relax and break the monotone voice mold. How insecure is he that he has to use his cold expressionless demeanor to make people insecure and submit to him?
I remember that i met mike patton when i was 18 after a concert and i was nervous at first thinking maybe he's some egotistical rock star, but the guy took the time to talk with me over 30 minutes about life in general. He laughed and joked around, he didnt take himself seriously.
Honestly why do so many fucktards on this board look to maynard as some amazing intellectual because he likes apocalypse now and can say a few snide remarks in an interview. I still love tools music and appreciate maynards talent but from observing his treatment of others he can go fuck himself
Old 04-27-2006, 11:32 PM   #1
On Probation

Bincount™: 3
Maynard = asshole?

I enjoy tools music and have never invested much time in understanding their personalities until recently when i was curious to see what they behaved like in interviews. If i was just to judge maynards personality by his lyrics i would imagine a smiling polite guy, who cares deep down for people, with an edge of cynical wit.
Watching interviews danny seems like a real likeable guy but maynard is just a fucking cock. Its not even " oh hes a funny asshole" hes just an expressionless dick with half wit comments, up his own ass about how enlightened he is. Maybe he does this so that dumbasses dont look up to him, or maybe he's truly this way but i have to wonder why its so hard for him to smile and relax and break the monotone voice mold. How insecure is he that he has to use his cold expressionless demeanor to make people insecure and submit to him?
I remember that i met mike patton when i was 18 after a concert and i was nervous at first thinking maybe he's some egotistical rock star, but the guy took the time to talk with me over 30 minutes about life in general. He laughed and joked around, he didnt take himself seriously.
Honestly why do so many fucktards on this board look to maynard as some amazing intellectual because he likes apocalypse now and can say a few snide remarks in an interview. I still love tools music and appreciate maynards talent but from observing his treatment of others he can go fuck himself
OFFLINE |  
Rubb.'s Avatar Rubb.
04-27-2006, 11:34 PM

Maynard probably has an asshole yes.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
Illuminator of Lightitude
Suicide Booth ID: 20

Location: Van Diemens Land Penis Length: 1.4 inches Vagina Capacity: 7.2 inches
Bincount™: 21769
Re: Maynard = asshole?

Maynard probably has an asshole yes.
04-27-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchochichi

I dunno, maynard used to dress like cher at tool concerts, and thats pretty damn cool.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

Quote:

I dunno, maynard used to dress like cher at tool concerts, and thats pretty damn cool.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
OFFLINE |  
CallofCthulhu's Avatar CallofCthulhu

BEST THREAD EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree with you 220%
Old 04-27-2006, 11:35 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

BEST THREAD EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree with you 220%
OFFLINE |  
Nebel

You're not the MTV interviewer are you?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:35 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

OFFLINE |  
bodhidharma's Avatar bodhidharma
04-27-2006, 11:37 PM

I agree, I would have figured MJK to be some cool guy, but then I say on the stupid ass bikini bandits shit on APC previews.Wright of the bat I could tell he was an asshole. Kind of bumed me out.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:37 PM   #6
On Probation

Bincount™: 264

I agree, I would have figured MJK to be some cool guy, but then I say on the stupid ass bikini bandits shit on APC previews.Wright of the bat I could tell he was an asshole. Kind of bumed me out.
OFFLINE |  
kidgloves2
04-27-2006, 11:38 PM

I think he was molested.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I think he was molested.
OFFLINE |  
04-27-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebel
No. But I GUARANTEE you that if you saw Maynard walking down the street and you said, not in a psychotic fan type of way, just "Hey Maynard! Whats up man?!" He'd ether blow by you or say some smart ass snide remark. Yea, he tries to protect his personal image by not getting too intimate with the fans, but to just stop and chat with a fan...........I mean come on. You're buying his records and putting food on his child's plate and he knows it would make your day to just chat with your rock star idol, but instead he chooses to piss on you.

Last edited by CallofCthulhu; 04-27-2006 at 11:43 PM..
Old 04-27-2006, 11:39 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebel
No. But I GUARANTEE you that if you saw Maynard walking down the street and you said, not in a psychotic fan type of way, just "Hey Maynard! Whats up man?!" He'd ether blow by you or say some smart ass snide remark. Yea, he tries to protect his personal image by not getting too intimate with the fans, but to just stop and chat with a fan...........I mean come on. You're buying his records and putting food on his child's plate and he knows it would make your day to just chat with your rock star idol, but instead he chooses to piss on you.

Last edited by CallofCthulhu; 04-27-2006 at 11:43 PM..
OFFLINE |  
guitarpete987
04-27-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I would agree with you if Aenima didn't exist. Most of Aenima's lyrics sound like they were written by an asshole.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:41 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
I would agree with you if Aenima didn't exist. Most of Aenima's lyrics sound like they were written by an asshole.
OFFLINE |  
04-27-2006, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSmith v2.0
prob by his mom, thats prob why he has a stick up his ass and writes shitty I miss you mom' lyrics
Too far
Old 04-27-2006, 11:43 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
prob by his mom, thats prob why he has a stick up his ass and writes shitty I miss you mom' lyrics
Too far
OFFLINE |  
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
04-27-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
prob by his mom, thats prob why he has a stick up his ass and writes shitty 'I miss you mom' lyrics
Nailed it. "11 and she was gone"? come on.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:44 PM   #11
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
prob by his mom, thats prob why he has a stick up his ass and writes shitty 'I miss you mom' lyrics
Nailed it. "11 and she was gone"? come on.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
OFFLINE |  
just simulacra's Avatar just simulacra
04-27-2006, 11:48 PM

every human's viewing the world through a different set of gods eyes.
i think its pretty obvious beneath maynard's assholic attitude, is a positive spirit.
who knows what hands he's been dealt in his personal life?
in the same way everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt,
the small glimpses of his attitude should be taken with a bit of empathy.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:48 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

every human's viewing the world through a different set of gods eyes.
i think its pretty obvious beneath maynard's assholic attitude, is a positive spirit.
who knows what hands he's been dealt in his personal life?
in the same way everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt,
the small glimpses of his attitude should be taken with a bit of empathy.
04-27-2006, 11:49 PM

Yeah that interview kinda pissed me off about him too. But I kinda always knew he was like that too. He could at least TRY to act like he's not better than everybody else. Like you guys said, we ARE paying his salary and putting food on the table, each and every one of us who ever bought anything Tool related. If you don't wanna answer questions without treating someone like shit, don't agree to do an interview. The interviewer probably makes a difference too, but man lighten up. You've got one of the best jobs in the world and are rich as hell thanks to the people that watch those interviews - try to act like a mature, content, semi-happy person. I'd kill to be where he is in life. Like everybody except him and his band are a joke. I love Tool as well but damn, someone's more pouty and moody than fred durst sometimes LOL.

Then again, I'd be a bit out there if I was that badass too. But in a different way hopefully.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:49 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 36

Yeah that interview kinda pissed me off about him too. But I kinda always knew he was like that too. He could at least TRY to act like he's not better than everybody else. Like you guys said, we ARE paying his salary and putting food on the table, each and every one of us who ever bought anything Tool related. If you don't wanna answer questions without treating someone like shit, don't agree to do an interview. The interviewer probably makes a difference too, but man lighten up. You've got one of the best jobs in the world and are rich as hell thanks to the people that watch those interviews - try to act like a mature, content, semi-happy person. I'd kill to be where he is in life. Like everybody except him and his band are a joke. I love Tool as well but damn, someone's more pouty and moody than fred durst sometimes LOL.

Then again, I'd be a bit out there if I was that badass too. But in a different way hopefully.
OFFLINE |  
panchochichi
04-27-2006, 11:50 PM

I felt sorry for the interviewer.
I used to be a huge asshole to people like maynard and i liked it. It made me feel superior to have a cold stare that made others feel inferior to me and submit. Just putting a few things together:
Maynard and all his gun pictures. Yeah guns are cool but who gives a fuck about your gun obsession maynard or how you can shoot a bulls eye.

Maynards wine website has a backhoe and tractor and he makes it a point to comment "how many rockstars do you know have a backhoe? Seriously?"

Slamming his mic down in a hissy fit cuz he misses a note instead of laughing it off during the lateralus tour?

Body slamming some drunk dude on stage?

The dudes a power tripper.

I learned eventually its not human to be so steely and cold to others, to make them feel nervous and less than. How nervous do you think the interviewer would have been if he had smiled and showed interest in him as a person or at least extended some form of openeess with him?
No all i see is stupid ass remarks that are supposed to be funny. He reminds me SOO FUCKING MUCH of my motherfucking uncle who burnt his brain out on acid. My uncle is a genius and i used to look up to him but when i grew up i understood that that doesnt equate him to a good person. Maynard makes it a point in one interview to state " I dunno...maybe i did too much acid in HS"
Maybe hes right. I used to be a huge Acid head and for about 2 years i lost the ability to laugh and smile genuinely. I had to relearn it all.
I think maybe his "enlightnement" is really nothing more than bullshit.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:50 PM   #14
On Probation

I used to be a huge asshole to people like maynard and i liked it. It made me feel superior to have a cold stare that made others feel inferior to me and submit. Just putting a few things together:
Maynard and all his gun pictures. Yeah guns are cool but who gives a fuck about your gun obsession maynard or how you can shoot a bulls eye.

Maynards wine website has a backhoe and tractor and he makes it a point to comment "how many rockstars do you know have a backhoe? Seriously?"

Slamming his mic down in a hissy fit cuz he misses a note instead of laughing it off during the lateralus tour?

The dudes a power tripper.

I learned eventually its not human to be so steely and cold to others, to make them feel nervous and less than. How nervous do you think the interviewer would have been if he had smiled and showed interest in him as a person or at least extended some form of openeess with him?
No all i see is stupid ass remarks that are supposed to be funny. He reminds me SOO FUCKING MUCH of my motherfucking uncle who burnt his brain out on acid. My uncle is a genius and i used to look up to him but when i grew up i understood that that doesnt equate him to a good person. Maynard makes it a point in one interview to state " I dunno...maybe i did too much acid in HS"
Maybe hes right. I used to be a huge Acid head and for about 2 years i lost the ability to laugh and smile genuinely. I had to relearn it all.
I think maybe his "enlightnement" is really nothing more than bullshit.
OFFLINE |  
Rubb.'s Avatar Rubb.
04-27-2006, 11:51 PM

nloloaaifyw.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:51 PM   #15
Illuminator of Lightitude
Suicide Booth ID: 20

Location: Van Diemens Land Penis Length: 1.4 inches Vagina Capacity: 7.2 inches
Bincount™: 21769

nloloaaifyw.

He has always been clear about trying to separate his personal life from all this. He just said it in an interview and I can respect his privacy.

"Maynard has the reputation for being ‘difficult’ or even downright rude to the more insistent of rabid fans, and god help the prospective autograph hunter. “I find is very…unnatural,” Keenan nods. “What happens is I might be having a drink with a friend in a bar, minding my own business, when all of a sudden some person will come up, tell me how great I am, and offer to buy me drink, never minding that I may be in a conversation. Or I might be in the park with my son, and it’s ‘hey, are you Maynard from Tool?’ ‘Well, no – right now, I’m the father of this child and I want to be alone.’ Suddenly I have been set-up. Because if I don’t accept the drink, or ignore him, or say I’m in the middle of talking to a friend, that makes me a pretentious asshole?” He shakes his head, heatedly. “Just because I’m in a band doesn’t make me a public servant. It’s very weird to be in that position, because I see my role in this band as being between these four guys. No one else. It doesn’t happen all the time, but because it does, it puts you on the defensive a lot. You’re very wary. You’re always thinking ‘Is this going to that guy who has some intense expectation about how I’m meant to act?’”

http://www.beat.com.au/article.php?id=231
Old 04-27-2006, 11:51 PM   #16
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

He has always been clear about trying to separate his personal life from all this. He just said it in an interview and I can respect his privacy.

"Maynard has the reputation for being ‘difficult’ or even downright rude to the more insistent of rabid fans, and god help the prospective autograph hunter. “I find is very…unnatural,” Keenan nods. “What happens is I might be having a drink with a friend in a bar, minding my own business, when all of a sudden some person will come up, tell me how great I am, and offer to buy me drink, never minding that I may be in a conversation. Or I might be in the park with my son, and it’s ‘hey, are you Maynard from Tool?’ ‘Well, no – right now, I’m the father of this child and I want to be alone.’ Suddenly I have been set-up. Because if I don’t accept the drink, or ignore him, or say I’m in the middle of talking to a friend, that makes me a pretentious asshole?” He shakes his head, heatedly. “Just because I’m in a band doesn’t make me a public servant. It’s very weird to be in that position, because I see my role in this band as being between these four guys. No one else. It doesn’t happen all the time, but because it does, it puts you on the defensive a lot. You’re very wary. You’re always thinking ‘Is this going to that guy who has some intense expectation about how I’m meant to act?’”

OFFLINE |  
day_for_night

you people need to grow some balls.

"boohoo he was mean. wwwaaaahhhhh"

grow up and live in the real world...people dont have to be nice to you just cause they are a public figure.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:51 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

you people need to grow some balls.

"boohoo he was mean. wwwaaaahhhhh"

grow up and live in the real world...people dont have to be nice to you just cause they are a public figure.
OFFLINE |  
Ant
04-27-2006, 11:54 PM

You know, I've watched a LOT of interviews with MJK and have seen a variety of behaviours from him. There was an APC interview he did on their first Lolapalooza tour and he looked so fucking intimidated and shy. He didn't seem to have any balls whatsoever and was not just quiet in a moody way, but quiet like he was nervous. Then from that I have seen him on APC webcasts where he was one of the biggest fucking pricks I've seen in an interview(although admittedly this went a bit sour after people were asking him questions on the album artwork when it hadn't been released yet. Piracy an obvious sore spot for him).
But then there are paper interviews and the guy seems very very cool and grounded indeed.
I just think that he sees himself as an artist and using Tool as a vent for his poetry etc.. is 90% of why he does it. A guy like that could only tolerate so much of people coming up to him and saying "OMFG 'Nard you rock so bastard hard!!!", like many of his younger fans will I'm sure.
Every now and again he'll probably forget there are people who really take what hes saying to heart, give the music 100% of their attention and would like to speak to him normally for 5 minutes, cos his 'art' is to be honest, pretty fucking incredible at times.
I dunno. Personally MJK, Bill Hicks and such have been some of the most influential people in the way I think about the world, so at times I feel a little let down when he behaves like a prick. But he's just guy at the end of the day and fame does test your tolerance in the extreme, so it's understandable.

Last edited by Ant; 04-27-2006 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-27-2006, 11:54 PM   #18
Ant
Level 3 - Talker

You know, I've watched a LOT of interviews with MJK and have seen a variety of behaviours from him. There was an APC interview he did on their first Lolapalooza tour and he looked so fucking intimidated and shy. He didn't seem to have any balls whatsoever and was not just quiet in a moody way, but quiet like he was nervous. Then from that I have seen him on APC webcasts where he was one of the biggest fucking pricks I've seen in an interview(although admittedly this went a bit sour after people were asking him questions on the album artwork when it hadn't been released yet. Piracy an obvious sore spot for him).
But then there are paper interviews and the guy seems very very cool and grounded indeed.
I just think that he sees himself as an artist and using Tool as a vent for his poetry etc.. is 90% of why he does it. A guy like that could only tolerate so much of people coming up to him and saying "OMFG 'Nard you rock so bastard hard!!!", like many of his younger fans will I'm sure.
Every now and again he'll probably forget there are people who really take what hes saying to heart, give the music 100% of their attention and would like to speak to him normally for 5 minutes, cos his 'art' is to be honest, pretty fucking incredible at times.
I dunno. Personally MJK, Bill Hicks and such have been some of the most influential people in the way I think about the world, so at times I feel a little let down when he behaves like a prick. But he's just guy at the end of the day and fame does test your tolerance in the extreme, so it's understandable.

Last edited by Ant; 04-27-2006 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: typo
OFFLINE |  
FistFck's Avatar FistFck
04-27-2006, 11:57 PM

Dear Sir/Madam (please, correct me in the next post so I do not confuse who you are!)

I would like (I know this is PRETENSIOUS) to speak on behalf of most Tool fans who are also fans of Maynard J. Keenan.

The points you brought up are well documented, and very well opinionated by you you, and by others who feel the same.

But I would also like to examine not only his motives (maynard) but yours!

You listen to Tool (I make this obvious assumption because you are on the Tool website). So, in this being what I believe to be true, You also feel passionate about the music, the lyrics, and the essence to what has become "Tool" over the years.

So in this sense do I raise the question to you: if your morals, your beliefs, and your convictions were questioned, examined, and argued on a daily basis (15 + years) would you continue to argue, state, and re explain your opinion, or would you eventually realize that you, as a human being, as a self, as an ego, as an entity in this expansive world, are right, and no other being could convict you of being wrong, because what you believe is who you are? Or would you, after such said yeard, continue to fight, argue, explain, identify, and convince, those who do not see as clearly as you.

Mind you, you (in the fictional Tool imaginary scenario sense i have been talking about) have been putting out works that you put blood sweat and tears into, for 15 plus years, and have stood infront of at least a million people and poured your very essence into this work. would you be able to stand infront of a microphone with the MTV symbol and justafiably be able to "pretend" to be interested in what they interviewer has to say?

Would you be able to also just shut out any output except for your work and its effort? would you deny any chance that there is to change just ONE life?

Maynard, in my opinion, and, from what he has said, is an optimist, who believes anyone, ANYONE, has the ability to rediscover what it means to be human. So in that being said, I believe maynard is on MTV not for the reasons that you view infront of you (remember I asked you to hold your beliefs of MTV in your mind), but instead for reasons of his own: for reasons of furthering his message, and his music, and his work, and his life!

Why do you think he went into wine? Yes, wine is an alcohol, a drug, and a pastiome of the french, and the rich californians (cant exclude Chile either!) But in essence, Wine is the fruit of a living beyong, its essence extracted, and preserved, allowed to mature and evolve, into something beautiful, that will eventually become to means to which another being of existance is able to reach its own beauty and existance. (sorry if this is really really really ABSTRACT... but I felt the need to express my opinoin on Cadeceus (however you spell it).

Well... Please, let us continue this conversation.. if you please.... I would very much like to hear your thoughts after you have contemplated my ramblings.

Spiral Out!!
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
Old 04-27-2006, 11:57 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Dear Sir/Madam (please, correct me in the next post so I do not confuse who you are!)

I would like (I know this is PRETENSIOUS) to speak on behalf of most Tool fans who are also fans of Maynard J. Keenan.

The points you brought up are well documented, and very well opinionated by you you, and by others who feel the same.

But I would also like to examine not only his motives (maynard) but yours!

You listen to Tool (I make this obvious assumption because you are on the Tool website). So, in this being what I believe to be true, You also feel passionate about the music, the lyrics, and the essence to what has become "Tool" over the years.

So in this sense do I raise the question to you: if your morals, your beliefs, and your convictions were questioned, examined, and argued on a daily basis (15 + years) would you continue to argue, state, and re explain your opinion, or would you eventually realize that you, as a human being, as a self, as an ego, as an entity in this expansive world, are right, and no other being could convict you of being wrong, because what you believe is who you are? Or would you, after such said yeard, continue to fight, argue, explain, identify, and convince, those who do not see as clearly as you.

Mind you, you (in the fictional Tool imaginary scenario sense i have been talking about) have been putting out works that you put blood sweat and tears into, for 15 plus years, and have stood infront of at least a million people and poured your very essence into this work. would you be able to stand infront of a microphone with the MTV symbol and justafiably be able to "pretend" to be interested in what they interviewer has to say?

Would you be able to also just shut out any output except for your work and its effort? would you deny any chance that there is to change just ONE life?

Maynard, in my opinion, and, from what he has said, is an optimist, who believes anyone, ANYONE, has the ability to rediscover what it means to be human. So in that being said, I believe maynard is on MTV not for the reasons that you view infront of you (remember I asked you to hold your beliefs of MTV in your mind), but instead for reasons of his own: for reasons of furthering his message, and his music, and his work, and his life!

Why do you think he went into wine? Yes, wine is an alcohol, a drug, and a pastiome of the french, and the rich californians (cant exclude Chile either!) But in essence, Wine is the fruit of a living beyong, its essence extracted, and preserved, allowed to mature and evolve, into something beautiful, that will eventually become to means to which another being of existance is able to reach its own beauty and existance. (sorry if this is really really really ABSTRACT... but I felt the need to express my opinoin on Cadeceus (however you spell it).

Well... Please, let us continue this conversation.. if you please.... I would very much like to hear your thoughts after you have contemplated my ramblings.

Spiral Out!!
"Being a rock band that’s arguably offering up some more intelligent processes, we do often get a lot of kids coming up who may not necessarily be the brightest bulbs in the box, who don’t really get it. But if it is to be about ‘hate songs’ well, good for them. Not what I intended, but that’s cool.” mjk
OFFLINE |  
panchochichi
04-27-2006, 11:59 PM

day4night
Its not that he is mean. Sometimes being mean is necessary.
Maynards dickhead behaviour is pointless and makes HIM immature.
If i met maynard id ask him "why are you such a fucking dick?"
and im sure id get some really awesome cool cool totally enlightened rock star maynard cold stare answer like "havent you heard the song maynards dick" HAHAHA..then all the toolnavy teensters would laugh and think "gee maynard has some balls, he's so mean and cool.grow up and live in the real world...people dont have to be nice to you just cause they are a public figure."
Old 04-27-2006, 11:59 PM   #20
On Probation

day4night
Its not that he is mean. Sometimes being mean is necessary.
Maynards dickhead behaviour is pointless and makes HIM immature.
If i met maynard id ask him "why are you such a fucking dick?"
and im sure id get some really awesome cool cool totally enlightened rock star maynard cold stare answer like "havent you heard the song maynards dick" HAHAHA..then all the toolnavy teensters would laugh and think "gee maynard has some balls, he's so mean and cool.grow up and live in the real world...people dont have to be nice to you just cause they are a public figure."
OFFLINE |  
WilliamGraves

MJK reminds me of my bi-polar friend. When i go to visit him I'm never sure if I'm gonna end up with the asshole version or the cool version of him. He's kinda like an eccentric visual artist, rarely interviewed and rarely sociable in public forumn. I'd probably be like him if I was in his shoes. Just cause he provides us with an artfom doesn't mean he has to put on his tap shoes and dance for our amusement.

P.S.-Rubb you made me spill my drink LOL
"Maynard probably has an asshole yes."
Old 04-27-2006, 11:59 PM   #21
On Probation

MJK reminds me of my bi-polar friend. When i go to visit him I'm never sure if I'm gonna end up with the asshole version or the cool version of him. He's kinda like an eccentric visual artist, rarely interviewed and rarely sociable in public forumn. I'd probably be like him if I was in his shoes. Just cause he provides us with an artfom doesn't mean he has to put on his tap shoes and dance for our amusement.

P.S.-Rubb you made me spill my drink LOL
"Maynard probably has an asshole yes."
OFFLINE |  

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodad

I dont know your personal family situation, but how many times have you been around your father or mother when they became involved in a random conversation with a perfect stranger where it wasn't completely awkward or out of context? I can think of many, and I dont have an extremely outgoing, social family. Sure, if Maynard's in the park with his son he should have his privacy, but whats wrong with "yea I'm in Tool, whats your name? here's an autograph," and on each other's ways they go. There's a fine line between privacy protection and straight up asshole.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:59 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodad

I dont know your personal family situation, but how many times have you been around your father or mother when they became involved in a random conversation with a perfect stranger where it wasn't completely awkward or out of context? I can think of many, and I dont have an extremely outgoing, social family. Sure, if Maynard's in the park with his son he should have his privacy, but whats wrong with "yea I'm in Tool, whats your name? here's an autograph," and on each other's ways they go. There's a fine line between privacy protection and straight up asshole.
OFFLINE |  
Ant
04-28-2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
can you condense this waste of internet space to about 10 words, in the hope that i might read it, eh?
And there I was thinking I was doing somethig worthwhile mentioning my relevant point of view. Sorry Wordsmith, I forget there are people like you around...
Old 04-28-2006, 12:00 AM   #23
Ant
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
can you condense this waste of internet space to about 10 words, in the hope that i might read it, eh?
And there I was thinking I was doing somethig worthwhile mentioning my relevant point of view. Sorry Wordsmith, I forget there are people like you around...
OFFLINE |  
Chuck_Of_Wah's Avatar Chuck_Of_Wah

I'm gonna have to take Maynard's side on this one. That interviewer is practically shitting his pants, and I don't see how Maynard is saying anything but the truth about his attitude towards tv interviews. He's always been cynical, it's none of our business what caused him to be like this.

Now look at that metro-sexual Mtv inteviewer. And I'm being absolutely dead serious here: WHICH OF HIS QUESTIONS WOULD SIGNAL IN ANY WAY THAT HE'S IN THE LEAST BIT INVOLVED? Whis moment signifies that he has something intelligent and compelling to ask about? Which word that he says in any one of his questions would even HINT at him wanting to really bust the mold of mediocricy and turn that into a great, insightful and informative interview?

Maybe Maynard's just itching to be pleasantly surprised?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:00 AM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 177

I'm gonna have to take Maynard's side on this one. That interviewer is practically shitting his pants, and I don't see how Maynard is saying anything but the truth about his attitude towards tv interviews. He's always been cynical, it's none of our business what caused him to be like this.

Now look at that metro-sexual Mtv inteviewer. And I'm being absolutely dead serious here: WHICH OF HIS QUESTIONS WOULD SIGNAL IN ANY WAY THAT HE'S IN THE LEAST BIT INVOLVED? Whis moment signifies that he has something intelligent and compelling to ask about? Which word that he says in any one of his questions would even HINT at him wanting to really bust the mold of mediocricy and turn that into a great, insightful and informative interview?

Maybe Maynard's just itching to be pleasantly surprised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallofCthulhu
I bet if you just met him somewhere and didn't mention TOOL he'd be cool as fuck. I'm sure he's tired of fans being all up his ass. I would be to. He just wants to be a regular dude, and probably doesn't give a fuck what any of us think. I'm cool with that.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:00 AM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallofCthulhu
I bet if you just met him somewhere and didn't mention TOOL he'd be cool as fuck. I'm sure he's tired of fans being all up his ass. I would be to. He just wants to be a regular dude, and probably doesn't give a fuck what any of us think. I'm cool with that.
OFFLINE |  
psychodad
04-28-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Me too, not because Maynard was being difficult but because the guy was forced to ask MTV crap.

Quote:
What gun obsession?? I have not seen any maynards gun pics before these new promos and they are sarcastic as hell.

Quote:
That was obviously just for the show. You can see them changing a few words there like "are you ready" and the way Maynard takes hold of him is gentle and slow, nothing like you would do if it was the real deal. They planned the whole thing, or improvised. Maynard is a pro at that shit so that probably did not hurt a bit. If the guy would have really tried to struggle, you think Maynard would have been able to sing there?

But yeah, you are right about one thing. Being a genius does not make one a good person. None of us know what kind of person Maynard is to his friends, but it's not hard to imagine he is doing great with them. If he was more open to new people, you know it as well as I that swarms of fans would try to be his new friends based on his stage persona.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:01 AM   #26
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Me too, not because Maynard was being difficult but because the guy was forced to ask MTV crap.

Quote:
What gun obsession?? I have not seen any maynards gun pics before these new promos and they are sarcastic as hell.

Quote:
That was obviously just for the show. You can see them changing a few words there like "are you ready" and the way Maynard takes hold of him is gentle and slow, nothing like you would do if it was the real deal. They planned the whole thing, or improvised. Maynard is a pro at that shit so that probably did not hurt a bit. If the guy would have really tried to struggle, you think Maynard would have been able to sing there?

But yeah, you are right about one thing. Being a genius does not make one a good person. None of us know what kind of person Maynard is to his friends, but it's not hard to imagine he is doing great with them. If he was more open to new people, you know it as well as I that swarms of fans would try to be his new friends based on his stage persona.
OFFLINE |  
panchochichi
04-28-2006, 12:02 AM

fistfck
Are the other 3 tool members huge dicks despite them enduring the same level of exposure as maynard?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:02 AM   #27
On Probation

fistfck
Are the other 3 tool members huge dicks despite them enduring the same level of exposure as maynard?
OFFLINE |  
04-28-2006, 12:05 AM

Quote:
fistfck
Maynard gets the most exposure. Throw APC into the mix and he gets DOUBLE the exposure. I'd say Danny gets more than Adam, and Adam gets more than Justin, but in no way to those three get the same amount compared to MJK.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:05 AM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
fistfck
Maynard gets the most exposure. Throw APC into the mix and he gets DOUBLE the exposure. I'd say Danny gets more than Adam, and Adam gets more than Justin, but in no way to those three get the same amount compared to MJK.
OFFLINE |  
panchochichi
04-28-2006, 12:06 AM

your right^ cthulu
Old 04-28-2006, 12:06 AM   #29
On Probation

your right^ cthulu
OFFLINE |  
Ant
04-28-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
no
no
no spiral in

This reminds me of that one time I walked to the mall about 5 miles away to buy lateralus the day it came out. It was a nice day, the birds were chirping, sky was blue- and all of a sudden i got hit by a car- some old redneck hit me with his pickup and because of that I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. During my operations i dreamt that tool had broken up.
Seriously who the fuck is this twat?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:08 AM   #30
Ant
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
no
no
no spiral in

This reminds me of that one time I walked to the mall about 5 miles away to buy lateralus the day it came out. It was a nice day, the birds were chirping, sky was blue- and all of a sudden i got hit by a car- some old redneck hit me with his pickup and because of that I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. During my operations i dreamt that tool had broken up.
OFFLINE |  
WilliamGraves
04-28-2006, 12:10 AM

Even if they did have equal exposure it doesn't mean they should act exactly the same. Everyone has different personality traits. Anyone know who Jackson pollack or JD. Salinger are...................If everyone was calling me an asshole I'd say fuck it and act that way just to fullfill your expectations.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:10 AM   #31
On Probation

Even if they did have equal exposure it doesn't mean they should act exactly the same. Everyone has different personality traits. Anyone know who Jackson pollack or JD. Salinger are...................If everyone was calling me an asshole I'd say fuck it and act that way just to fullfill your expectations.
OFFLINE |  
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
04-28-2006, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant

I dont know, but he kind of reminds me of a guy on a messageboard i used to post on, he'd come on and spout all sorts of racist shit and then be like "Okay, i'm gonna go lovingly fuck my black wife" and we'd be like ???

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:11 AM   #32
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant

I dont know, but he kind of reminds me of a guy on a messageboard i used to post on, he'd come on and spout all sorts of racist shit and then be like "Okay, i'm gonna go lovingly fuck my black wife" and we'd be like ???

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
OFFLINE |  
soydeedo
04-28-2006, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
prolly maynard. =P
Old 04-28-2006, 12:12 AM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
prolly maynard. =P
OFFLINE |  
soydeedo
04-28-2006, 12:13 AM

and damn you for opening another thread regardign this when i just got done typing up a 500 word essay [not nearly as eloquent or legalesque as fistfck's, mind you] over in the interview thread. =/
Old 04-28-2006, 12:13 AM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

and damn you for opening another thread regardign this when i just got done typing up a 500 word essay [not nearly as eloquent or legalesque as fistfck's, mind you] over in the interview thread. =/
OFFLINE |  
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
04-28-2006, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Billy, is that you!!!!
My bitch is shitfaced now, but once that bitch drops some Z's i'm gonna go pork her until she vomits my love medicine.
Trevor? I thought you didn't have internet anymore after your phone company shut down because of that whole child porn thing? Weren't you in on that?

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:13 AM   #35
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Billy, is that you!!!!
My bitch is shitfaced now, but once that bitch drops some Z's i'm gonna go pork her until she vomits my love medicine.
Trevor? I thought you didn't have internet anymore after your phone company shut down because of that whole child porn thing? Weren't you in on that?

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
OFFLINE |  
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
04-28-2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
what do you mean, in the ring.. or the kids
if you know what i mean

HAHAH more like in the ring WITH the kids after that whole circus fiasco.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:18 AM   #36
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
what do you mean, in the ring.. or the kids
if you know what i mean

HAHAH more like in the ring WITH the kids after that whole circus fiasco.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
OFFLINE |  
fripptronic's Avatar fripptronic
04-28-2006, 12:19 AM

really, who gives a fuck about all of this?

it all hinges on the interviewer anyway. if they are articulate and knowledgable, the interviewee will respond likewise.

but those people (in the music press) are hard to come by.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:19 AM   #37
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

really, who gives a fuck about all of this?

it all hinges on the interviewer anyway. if they are articulate and knowledgable, the interviewee will respond likewise.

but those people (in the music press) are hard to come by.
OFFLINE |  
WilliamGraves
04-28-2006, 12:19 AM

Random message of the day:

Never play strip-twister
Old 04-28-2006, 12:19 AM   #38
On Probation

Random message of the day:

Never play strip-twister
OFFLINE |  
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
04-28-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
why?
Maynard will look down on you

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:22 AM   #39
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
why?
Maynard will look down on you

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
OFFLINE |  
WilliamGraves
04-28-2006, 12:23 AM

Well i guess its ok if your the "spinner"......its pretty easy to manipulate that thing.

Hereth ends my public service announcement.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:23 AM   #40
On Probation

Well i guess its ok if your the "spinner"......its pretty easy to manipulate that thing.

Hereth ends my public service announcement.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply