Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 10. Right in Two
User Name
Password
riel
06-23-2006, 02:31 PM

I had a similar understanding of the message in the song. Very well articulated on your part. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authority Questioner
Maybe the "angels" that stand there "baffled and confused" are the christians who seem helpless to the world spinning out of control in front of them? They believe the father has blessed all the people with reason, yet they don't chose his way and the christians realize they are helpless in this respect? They'd rather sit on the "sidelines" and pass judgement rather than try to do something about it or seek an alternative idea to their beliefs? Again...individuals interperate at will.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Angels on the sideline again?

I had a similar understanding of the message in the song. Very well articulated on your part. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authority Questioner
Maybe the "angels" that stand there "baffled and confused" are the christians who seem helpless to the world spinning out of control in front of them? They believe the father has blessed all the people with reason, yet they don't chose his way and the christians realize they are helpless in this respect? They'd rather sit on the "sidelines" and pass judgement rather than try to do something about it or seek an alternative idea to their beliefs? Again...individuals interperate at will.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
06-23-2006, 02:45 PM

That's an excellent thought! Maybe another criticism on Christianity?

I love the way how this song twists its meaning if you look at it from a different perspective... From the blame at the people to the blame at the angels / God...

Last edited by Terry21; 06-23-2006 at 02:47 PM..
Old 06-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #42
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

That's an excellent thought! Maybe another criticism on Christianity?

I love the way how this song twists its meaning if you look at it from a different perspective... From the blame at the people to the blame at the angels / God...

Last edited by Terry21; 06-23-2006 at 02:47 PM..
peolesdru
07-02-2006, 08:45 PM

In reference to the frequent suggestions that Tool is tsk-tsking the violent monkeys, I refer you to some lyrics from Vicarious:

Incredulous at best
Your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men.
But pull your head on out
Your head be reasoned give a listen
Shouldn't have to say it all again

The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive
So it is, so it's always been ...

Which picks up a thread started in the Disgustipated track from Undertow that observed "This is necessary, Life feeds on life feeds on life..."

So "Right in Two" is more of an observation of human proclivites (from the point of view of angels) than a judgement of them.

Also, I am convinced the lyric is "over sand, over mud" at 5:56, but I never see the lyrics section modifed to reflect the latest theories, so there you have it.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

In reference to the frequent suggestions that Tool is tsk-tsking the violent monkeys, I refer you to some lyrics from Vicarious:

Incredulous at best
Your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men.
But pull your head on out
Your head be reasoned give a listen
Shouldn't have to say it all again

The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive
So it is, so it's always been ...

Which picks up a thread started in the Disgustipated track from Undertow that observed "This is necessary, Life feeds on life feeds on life..."

So "Right in Two" is more of an observation of human proclivites (from the point of view of angels) than a judgement of them.

Also, I am convinced the lyric is "over sand, over mud" at 5:56, but I never see the lyrics section modifed to reflect the latest theories, so there you have it.
useless's Avatar useless
07-17-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Paul
Angels on the sideline,
Baffled and confused.
Father blessed them all with reason,
And this is what they choose?

What if the last two line actualy refered to the angles rather than the monkeys? It would be coherent with subtlefury's interpretation. "So they are the ones with reason, and still they stay there limited to dull observing?" I think Maynard is also angry at the angels. The angels being all those people who say how humanity sucks and don't do anything to change things.
Good thought, but if It's Maynard speaking, he's refering to God as "father," which seems unlikely to me.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:51 PM   #44
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Paul
Angels on the sideline,
Baffled and confused.

What if the last two line actualy refered to the angles rather than the monkeys? It would be coherent with subtlefury's interpretation. "So they are the ones with reason, and still they stay there limited to dull observing?" I think Maynard is also angry at the angels. The angels being all those people who say how humanity sucks and don't do anything to change things.
Good thought, but if It's Maynard speaking, he's refering to God as "father," which seems unlikely to me.
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
07-17-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
That's not unlikely at all. Maynard may be against organized religion and it's bigotry but he's surely spiritual to some extreme and does believe in a higher power. I have always felt the same way whereas I do not believe in any specific religion as there are too many claiming they are the right one however, I do believe there is a good and evil force in the universe and a supreme being over all.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:57 PM   #45
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
That's not unlikely at all. Maynard may be against organized religion and it's bigotry but he's surely spiritual to some extreme and does believe in a higher power. I have always felt the same way whereas I do not believe in any specific religion as there are too many claiming they are the right one however, I do believe there is a good and evil force in the universe and a supreme being over all.
07-18-2006, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy
True, but god as the Father is a pretty strongly Christian image, especially in this song.

Either way, I still think that the last two lines of the verse
Quote:
Angels on the sideline,
Baffled and confused.
are meant to be the angels' thoughts, because it seems pretty obvious (although I hesitate to use that word in relation to any of Tool's lyrics) that it's meant to parallel with the verse
Quote:
Angels on the sideline,
Puzzled and amused.
Why did Father give these humans free will?
Now they're all confused.
in which it clearly states that the last two lines are about humans.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:36 AM   #46
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy
True, but god as the Father is a pretty strongly Christian image, especially in this song.

Either way, I still think that the last two lines of the verse
Quote:
Angels on the sideline,
Baffled and confused.
are meant to be the angels' thoughts, because it seems pretty obvious (although I hesitate to use that word in relation to any of Tool's lyrics) that it's meant to parallel with the verse
Quote:
Angels on the sideline,
Puzzled and amused.
Why did Father give these humans free will?
Now they're all confused.
in which it clearly states that the last two lines are about humans.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply