opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 05-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
The Journey

This thread is for all of you guys who would like to tell everyone else about how YOU became a Tool fan.

For myself...

I wish I could say that I have been, you know, a loyal fan since '91 or whatever (that would be hard as I am only 16) but Tool has only recently dominated my mind and my stereo. Going back to '01, I heard Schism on the radio constantly after its release and sure, I liked it a'lot, but it did not really compel me to go out and seek more of their music as I was more into grunge at that time. As my musical tastes started to broaden and mature around '05, I found myself constantly listening to Rage Against the Machine and one song in particular stuck out "Know Your Enemy". After listening to that song for the first time, I asked a friend, "Hey is that the singer from Tool in there?". After I was told "yes", I more or less immediately got hooked. When 10,000 Days came out a little later I had a friend burn me a copy and I really enjoyed it. While not being a huge fan yet, I still listened to this album and I really liked a few songs. Finally, one day I said to myself "I need to get that album with Schism on it" and I bought Lateralus. I now had two Tool albums and was bewildered by the music that was coming from my stereo. About a month after that, Aenema came, and then Undertow, then Opiate, and then Salival. My life has never been the same ever since...thanks for the ride Tool.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: The Journey

Thank for create this thread first of all!

I became a T00l listener about few years ago exactly in '03, at first i didn't like them cause they where too "heavy" for me, but after some time i start listening to them again and got enlighten by those amazing lyrics and from mjk astounding voice, yeah every time i heard him sing i got shiver on my back, i simply love him... i must admit! When 10,000 Days came out i was more than surprised by the sound that they created for the album, i was stuck listening to aenima and lateralus, and 10,000 Days really change my prospective on T00l music! (Yes i am a 10,000 days worshipper) They're my fave band, with their music they got me through bad and not bad time of my life, like YOU said My life has never been the same ever since...

Last edited by Medicea Sidera; 05-11-2008 at 07:08 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 94

My story is idiotic, but I'd be willing to share.
For some reason, this thread brings a smile to my face.

Stupid. ^ My phrase just had to rhyme. :) Really badly, too.

Before I listened to TOOL, I was an idiot.
A shallow, stupid idiot.
I was the kind of person that liked the mainstream, emo mosh music---Seether, Evanescence, and such.
Of course, the bands sounded good, but there was no emotion, you know?

As time passed by, I really looked for heavy music (the total opposite of Medicea Sidera...heh). I thrived on it, nearly. And then I heard Vicarious on the radio.

I had heard Schism a lot of times before, too, but I didn't know, see. When I found out that Schism was THEIR song, I went insane. I loved it. I bought 10,000 Days, and I was amazed.

What drew me in most was Adam's guitar playing. I loved it instantly.
Maynard's singing was sublime as well, but if the rest of the band didn't perform with him, I probably wouldn't have loved it as much.

And at first, 10,000 Days, compared to mainstream albums, was confusing and appalling. There were no lyrics or anything---not even a proper jewel case. A piece of plastic and a bunch of art I failed to understand.

Even as I look back now, I realize how stupid I was.

Of course, with time, I started listening to it everywhere I went. The image of the beach is imprinted permanently in my mind, because I heard Rosetta Stoned when I visited such magnificence. I can just say that 10,000 Days holds a lot of my memories.

I started to grow wise from TOOL, a little too wise for my age. At first, TOOL pacified my hunger for heavy music with their hard, rock-out songs, and then I started to love their more progressive, artsy side.

And then I started to find meaning within the music.

Of course, I got all the music vids, all the CDs I could possibly get my hands on---I even got cassette tapes from Undertow to Lateralus. The music started to change me...change me into the person I am now.

And from it, I can give birth to my own thoughts---my own philosophies. It made me think things through more profoundly, and somehow, make me feel kind of whole.

There's probably more to it, but I probably forgot to put in a thing or two.
But yeah, that's me.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Great post dxs! I just wish this thread can get a lot more response on it...i like to share my thought on discussion like this!

Last edited by Medicea Sidera; 06-03-2008 at 07:22 PM..
Old 06-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 94

I'm pretty sure there's been a fair few that have got to seeing it.
I guess they didn't stop by to post.

Heh, I'd settle for a "I heard a TOOL song. I liked it. I'm here."
It's good to know that there are people out there willing to share your story. :)
Old 06-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

luckily i dodged that whole mainstream bullet, talk about a vast difference, coming from a southern baptist home, Gospel and Christian music out the yin yang, before in 1999 i was introduced to tool, through the song Sober, Via the radio, which it was quickly squashed by the parental figures as they turned it off, when "jesus" played over the air..

then later in 2001 when my brother introduced me to lateralus, and it's been uphill from there on.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠Ace♠ View Post
Aenema came, and then Undertow, then Opiate, and then Salival. My life has never been the same ever since...thanks for the ride Tool.
Im curious. How much did you pay for Salival. Did you get it when it was still being produced or after it was discontinued?

For your post: Tool has done wonders for my life/mind as well.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool_Is_Sick View Post
Im curious. How much did you pay for Salival. Did you get it when it was still being produced or after it was discontinued?

For your post: Tool has done wonders for my life/mind as well.

Unfortunately, by the time I was interested in Tool, Salival had stopped production, however, a friend of mine gave me a burnt copy for the audio tracks that I was missing. So basically, I don't have the package or the videos, but the tracks--yes.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

Became a fan pretty much off the bat of undertow. My "journey" has been kind of like a long stroll down a dirt road, up a mountain side with beautiful vistas, then back down onto a paved roadway, in which I strayed here and there yet always ended up on course.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: