opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #6041
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deturm View Post
What if it's 2.5 hour shows with 3/4's of the setlist being from Ænema, Undertow and Opiate?

Why come in here and say stuff like "I might pass" just because you've imagined up that the shows are going to suck?
Then I'll definately go. That's what I'd pay money to see. Can you guarrantee that's what we can expect?

Because, in my opinion, the 10K Days tour was, in my opinion, far weaker than any of the previous tours I saw and, in my opinion, this tour might, just might.... suck.

I don't have any idea what we'll get and neither do you. We'll have to wait and see.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #6042
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla View Post
I don't have any idea what we'll get and neither do you. We'll have to wait and see.
That's what I said, no one knows what the hell they're going to do for a setlist. No one knows what songs they're going to play, how long they're going to play, or exactly what the visuals are going to be like. You seem to understand this idea, so I don't know why you have your panties in a bunch.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #6043
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

i'll take what i can get.
chances are it'll be better than any other practical thing i could do on any given night by a long fkn stretch and i can catch the repeat of sportscenter whan i get home.
i'm pretty sure it'll be one of the best nights of the year for me no matter what they play and what visuals there are or aren't.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #6044
The Lube

Bincount™: 5355

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
"Maybe" was a key word in that quote from Justin. If he said "...maybe throw in a few covers...", I would take it as just a maybe. I'm just trying to do some preventative damage control so it doesn't turn into a "they said they were going to do covers. WHERE ARE THEY???!!!!" kind of a thing.

I hope they do, but there's just no way of knowing yet.
Tell em to play third eye
Old 05-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #6045
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesegreater View Post
junior, I've been curious about a couple of things.

First I want to say that I've done a wee bit of sound tech work, and I know it felt like things came together at the last possible second sometimes. The lighting crew who I've worked alongside with a few times never had to do intense multimedia setups or anything. They usually wired lights on trusses and around the stage and had a pretty simple console for lighting effects.

My first question would be: Seeing how Tool has a relatively complex multimedia/light show, does it put a strain on you and your team knowing that the tour will start in only 7 weeks? I mean, from what I've heard you say, you'll be working with some people who haven't done Tool shows before. Does Tool 'work' with you so to speak to help decide how the lights should work for particular songs, or is everything already programmed ahead of time to where you only need to know a few cues?

I can't help but wonder if the longer it takes for you to know the logistics and set up of this tour, the more the Tool collective will be prone to mimic what you all already 'know' from the previous tour.

I guess what I'm asking is how short of notice is too soon for the lighting crew to implement new things for this tour?
I'm not worried.
Although we've lost most of the lighting crew from 2007 (maybe all of them: there's 1 unknown right now), we've already begun assembling the new team and at least a couple of them are veterans of past Tool tours. One guy hasn't been on the road with Tool since 2002, but he was instrumental in the initial assembly of the 2006-7 systems. Another guy that did the 2002 and 2006 tours is nearly recovered from an injury and will probably be involved this summer. Another possible replacement hasn't toured with Tool since 1998, but might do this summer. Most likely the crew will all be people I've toured with and have toured with each other, even if it wasn't on Tool.

Any member of the band can and will express their opinions about the lighting, but I'm mostly left to my own accord. The actual creative process is more of a closed circle, so I won't disclose much more than that. After 13 years I have a pretty good idea of what's kosher and what's not. I'm not going to go way out on a limb and do something that I know is inappropriate for Tool just because I think it might look cool. There are no "rules", but there is certainly a mindset that it all needs to fit into.
Also, I try not to make anything be so set in stone that it can't be improv'd. Although many things have to be pre-programmed to a certain extent (colours, positions, movement, etc.), anything that seems like it's perfectly in sync with the music is being operated manually. Tool don't play to a click track or metronome, and although Danny is ... well, he's Danny... tempos will still fluctuate a bit so none of the lighting or video can be expected to hit beats on their own. A human has to do that.
Changes are made almost every day of the tour; sometimes subtle and sometimes not so subtle. The "normal" for arena tours these days is that the designer and programmer don't tour with the show, so their work is done in rehearsals and they teach someone else how to run it for the tour. Tool doesn't use that model, so I think it becomes a more personal project this way.

I don't anticipate the actual physicality of the lighting system to be radically different from the 2007 shows. It doesn't make sense to start over for a 3 week tour, but we are looking to make some changes to it, and those will be implemented during production rehearsals about a week before the first show. By then we should have some indication of the songs they will be playing so we can spend that week creating looks for any additions, adjusting the pre-existing, and getting any new elements integrated into the show. The video department will spend some time before then getting footage together. They don't need the stage set up to do that. A lot of that work can be done in a small space with some computer monitors.

The "last minute" nature of this tour doesn't surprise me at all. The booking of the shows usually has more advance time than this, but on the production side it's always been a bit of a last minute rush. The visual side of the show has always had a lot less fore-thought that one would think.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #6046
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

Thanks Junior! Always very informative.

I actually had a feeling that not as much forethought goes into the lights as one would initially think. But hell, after 13 years I'm sure you've developed it into your own art form. You've done a killer job so far, so I think you'll blow us away as usual!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #6047
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

From interviews during the last tour, it seems unlikely that they're going to go back to playing much from Opiate and Undertow. Maynard has made it clear that they have moved on since then. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a very, very similar setlist to the last tour. Probably no 10,000 Days, making room for one or two additional songs, but Justin's comments about reworked songs and covers might never happen. After all, they have been known to talk about doing things and then not do them: live DVD, toolarmy website redesign, pre-sales...
12-Aug-02 Trenton, NJ | 13-Aug-02 NYC | 29-Oct-02 PHL | 17-May-06 PHL | 19-May-06 NYC | 20-May-06 NYC | 28-Sep-06 Camden, NJ | 02-Oct-06 Wilkes-Barre, PA | 05-Oct-06 Hartford, CT | 06-Oct-06 East Rutherford, NJ | 07-Oct-06 Long Island, NY | 09-Jun-07 Atlantic City, NJ | 23-Jun-07 Fort Wayne, IN | 29-Jun-07 Cincinnati, OH | 07-Aug-09 Cincinnati, OH | 16-Jul-10 Las Vegas, NV | 15-Mar-14 Las Vegas, NV | 22-Jan-16 STL | 23-Jan-16 Nashville, TN | 29-Oct-16 NOLA | 08-Jun-17 Rosemont, IL | 20-May-18 Columbus, OH | 08-May-19 Louisville, KY | 13-May-19 STL | 04-Jun-19 Prague | 05-Jun-19 Vienna | 15-Oct-19 DEN | 16-Oct-19 DEN | 31-Oct-19 MKE | 11-Nov-19 Toronto | 12-Nov-19 Toronto | 24-Nov-19 Raleigh, NC | 18-Jan-20 Glendale, AZ | 21-Jan-20 ATX | 29-Jan-20 Nashville, TN
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #6048
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Just got my Dallas tickets in the mail...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #6049
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

One thing to keep in mind on Justin's comments from RS about doing some covers- just before they launched into Pushit for the first time on the 10K Days tour on the second night in SD, Maynard said something like "just think of us as a cover band". So maybe the mindset they (or more like Maynard) need to be in to do some of those older songs is to think of themselves as covering, well, themselves.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #6050
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
One thing to keep in mind on Justin's comments from RS about doing some covers- just before they launched into Pushit for the first time on the 10K Days tour on the second night in SD, Maynard said something like "just think of us as a cover band". So maybe the mindset they (or more like Maynard) need to be in to do some of those older songs is to think of themselves as covering, well, themselves.
That joke is full of grudges.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #6051
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I haven't listened to that particular bootleg, but it could also have been Hawkman, a member of Tricky's band. He made a few appearances during that tour, too.

Yup, I believe Hawkman does the vocals on Reflection and Tricky on Opiate.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #6052
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 377

Junior thank you so much for all your posts. I really like to hear about all the production it takes to put on a great show. Just wanted to say thanks!!! :)
Old 05-28-2009, 05:02 AM   #6053
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloz View Post
Yup, I believe Hawkman does the vocals on Reflection and Tricky on Opiate.
thanks. just went to Hawkman's website and confirmed this...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 05:50 AM   #6054
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: in the quaalude induced semi-lucid dreams of the mexican staring frog of sri lanka
Bincount™: 80

Yea it was Hawy from Tricky, ive got that bootleg. He also sings (in the loosest term) on Opiate, although i cant really understand what hes saying. Anybody interested in tool bootlegs PM me ill give you the hookup
Old 05-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #6055
Level 7 - Loquacious

Why does Tool hate New England? Did we do something wrong? Is it something we said?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 AM   #6056
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by deturm View Post
You said you might not buy tickets because the show would be short and no good old songs or whatever, what if it's the opposite? What if it's 2.5 hour shows with 3/4's of the setlist being from Ænema, Undertow and Opiate? Why come in here and say stuff like "I might pass" just because you've imagined up that the shows are going to suck?
Because....that is not likely.

I'll still probably buy tickets for a show, but come July and I see the sets and they are still doing more or less the same sets as 2007 (probably minus wings/10k/rosetta/vicarious and maybe plus one great older tune from aenima maybe something from lateralus back and maybe a cover) but it will be more or less the same as 2007, heavy on singles we have heard many times, 90 minute set max, it will still be fucking fantastic music and a maynard will be looking more disinterested than ever.

this tour is a cash grab, that's all, let's face it.

I don't sense tour is a band that needs to perform live to regenerate some creative juices to work on a new album, and I doubt they are using this tour to test out new material, so then why are they touring after a lapse, in between albums, for $$$

So if it's just another cash grab, I expect to hear a setlist with some fan favorites, I could not give a shit if Maynard's is too much of a puss to delve into material that he is beyond or that he claims his voice can handle.

So if I see solid setlists, material that I have not heard before in the 7 times I've seen Tool, I'm in. And if it's more of the same, well I love em but I don't really need to spend $100 a ticket to hear Stinkfist and Schism AGAIN, so I'll sell my tickets.

Last edited by sianspheric; 05-28-2009 at 07:41 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #6057
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

songs that need to be retired: 46n2, schism, stinkfist
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #6058
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I know he was none too pleased at all the moshing when they played Portland last. I think his comment was: "Thanks for dumbing it down tonight Portland."

And the weather sucks too.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #6059
Level 4 - Thinker

I'd like to add 'Sober' to that retired list.

Listening to the bootleg from Irvine, I was reminded of how amazing Reflection is...miss that combo/trio from the '01, '02 dates

Got 4 degrees at "the Pepsi can" in Denver...crazy good.

Thanks for the insight Jr.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #6060
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
songs that need to be retired: 46n2, schism, stinkfist
I wouldn't care if they gave Schism and 46 and 2 a break, but Stinkfist just has so much energy live that I think I would really miss it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #6061
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanminded050 View Post

I'm hoping that they give us an official update on the next album soon.
It'd be nice to hear something, but knowing Blair...I doubt we'll get anything concrete.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #6062
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: in the quaalude induced semi-lucid dreams of the mexican staring frog of sri lanka

yea stinkfist is such a good song, that opening few riffs with the bass line humping, wow. It never gets old to me. Ive never seen sober live so id like to see that. Third eye would make my day for sure
Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #6063
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsarealzinger View Post
I wouldn't care if they gave Schism and 46 and 2 a break, but Stinkfist just has so much energy live that I think I would really miss it.
No way! 46&2 is one song that is a must to me. I'd take it over Stinkfist.
If they only played one song from AEnima it should be 46&2 ... and then AEnema in second place.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #6064
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luneytunes View Post
If they only played one song from AEnima it should be 46&2 ... and then AEnema in second place.
The "extended" version of Schism that was played on the last tour (for instance, at the show in Mansfield, MA) was one of the highlights of the show, I thought. The additional material they added into the song seemed to work extremely well, to me at least.

I take it that there is no word on New England show for the upcoming tour. So perhaps I'll be driving down south!

BTW, someone asked why Tool hates New England. It is probably worth noting that at the last show in Mansfield, MA a couple of years ago they played Pushit (with a very cool intro) as well as Flood. I don't think anyone else got both of them.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #6065
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1nm View Post
The "extended" version of Schism that was played on the last tour (for instance, at the show in Mansfield, MA) was one of the highlights of the show, I thought. The additional material they added into the song seemed to work extremely well, to me at least.

I take it that there is no word on New England show for the upcoming tour. So perhaps I'll be driving down south!

BTW, someone asked why Tool hates New England. It is probably worth noting that at the last show in Mansfield, MA a couple of years ago they played Pushit (with a very cool intro) as well as Flood. I don't think anyone else got both of them.
They don't, I was just bullshitting because it seems like we'll be the last one to get a date. I fully expect one or two dates during the first week in August. No other show got both of those tunes in Mansfield. Maynard used to live in Boston as well. The Lateralus show at the Boston Garden/Fleet Center was the best Tool show I've seen.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #6066
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 7

im glad theyre done playing wings/10,000 days... its too long and slow, and its just not a very good live song..id much rather hear 2 or 3 other songs in its place
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #6067
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luneytunes View Post
If they played one song from Aenima it have to either Eulogy, Hooker With A Penis, Jimmy or Third Eye. Oh crap just do like Primus did a few years ago and play the Aenima album.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #6068
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunga View Post
They don't, I was just bullshitting because it seems like we'll be the last one to get a date. I fully expect one or two dates during the first week in August. No other show got both of those tunes in Mansfield. Maynard used to live in Boston as well. The Lateralus show at the Boston Garden/Fleet Center was the best Tool show I've seen.
There are no west Coast dates also.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #6069
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew77 View Post
There are no west Coast dates also.
They don't deserve one.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #6070
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldude View Post
im glad theyre done playing wings/10,000 days... its too long and slow, and its just not a very good live song..id much rather hear 2 or 3 other songs in its place
not a fan of it on the album

but live I enjoyed it the two times I caught it.

the lasers made it awesome

smoking a joint at the concert also probably helped

"whoooaaa laserssss"
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianspheric View Post
not a fan of it on the album

but live I enjoyed it the two times I caught it.

the lasers made it awesome

smoking a joint at the concert also probably helped

"whoooaaa laserssss"
Well, Danny said in that special Revolver magazine: "Wings for Marie Pt. 1 & 2" live is as good as it's gotten with the band". I will have to agree with him.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #6072
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Damn, no Jason Mraz opening...

DULUTH at GWINNETT ARENA July 27
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #6073

Concerning the San Antonio show, Ticketmaster and toolband.com shows that the onsale date is May 30th, but the AT&T Center's website says that tickets will be available on May 29th. Think this is a mistake on their end or is there a possibility that tickets will go on sale one day earlier via their own website or something?

EDIT: So I just spoke to a Ticketmaster rep who told me that there will be a password protected pre-sale for San Antonio on the 29th. However he was reluctant to tell me how I can get information on the pre-sale and just said that it was for members of Ticketmaster. Any idea anyone?
10/23/01 Oklahoma City, OK - 7/25/02 Tulsa, OK - 11/16/02 Oklahoma City, OK - 9/14/06 Dallas, TX - 5/11/07 Wichita, KS - 5/19/07 Oklahoma City, OK - 11/19/07 Tulsa, OK - 7/24/09 San Antonio, TX - 7/25/09 Dallas, TX - 6/23/10 Oklahoma City, OK

Last edited by The Sven; 05-28-2009 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: BS
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #6074

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Damn, no Jason Mraz opening...

DULUTH at GWINNETT ARENA July 27
I'm gonna have to try and make it to both shows for a bit now. Totally worth it.

Also of note...I'm sure we've all seen the scalpers selling Charlotte tickets for GA floor, but I did just confirm with the venue that it is an open floor.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #6075
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sven View Post
Concerning the San Antonio show, Ticketmaster and toolband.com shows that the onsale date is May 30th, but the AT&T Center's website says that tickets will be available on May 29th. Think this is a mistake on their end or is there a possibility that tickets will go on sale one day earlier via their own website or something?

EDIT: So I just spoke to a Ticketmaster rep who told me that there will be a password protected pre-sale for San Antonio on the 29th. However he was reluctant to tell me how I can get information on the pre-sale and just said that it was for members of Ticketmaster. Any idea anyone?
It MIGHT be one of their Citicard Creditcard promotions. Where if you have a Citibank MasterCard or Visa you can take part in the pre-sale. I've seen it a few times for non-tool shows recently.

Last edited by jwb; 05-28-2009 at 01:03 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #6076
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
It MIGHT be one of their Citicard Creditcard promotions. Where if you have a Citibank MasterCard or Visa you can take part in the pre-sale. I've seen it a few times for non-tool shows recently.
if that's the case though, you'd think the ticketmaster rep wouldn't be so hesitant to give out the details... any rumors out there about a TA presale for that show?

(yeah, i know... it's a long shot)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #6077

Haha.. okay. So I called someone at the AT&T Center's box office and they told me that it's a "fanclub" presale and not a CITIcard presale or anything else. So any ToolArmy members on here that want to help a fellow fan out?
10/23/01 Oklahoma City, OK - 7/25/02 Tulsa, OK - 11/16/02 Oklahoma City, OK - 9/14/06 Dallas, TX - 5/11/07 Wichita, KS - 5/19/07 Oklahoma City, OK - 11/19/07 Tulsa, OK - 7/24/09 San Antonio, TX - 7/25/09 Dallas, TX - 6/23/10 Oklahoma City, OK
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #6078
Level 7 - Loquacious

who is doing the Duluth show? TM or LN?
Old 05-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #6079
Level 7 - Loquacious

It's not going to be easy, but I am definitely avoiding reading any show reviews or set lists prior to attending the Fairfax date. I've tried to do it in 2006 and 2007 and failed both times. I'm going in fresh this time! Anyone else with me?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #6080
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsarealzinger View Post
It's not going to be easy, but I am definitely avoiding reading any show reviews or set lists prior to attending the Fairfax date. I've tried to do it in 2006 and 2007 and failed both times. I'm going in fresh this time! Anyone else with me?
I'm with you - It would be nice if set lists were not posted here (of course that would defeat the purpose of this thread)...
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: