opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-13-2006, 09:03 AM   #121
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
Re: 2006/09/11 - The Woodlands, TX - Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion

/thread imo

of course swaps can come re-open it if she likes. Perhaps I had a hand in this derailment, not sure, but yes, posts from people who were not at the show can go elsewhere.

If anyone else who was AT THE SHOW would like to leave a REVIEW, feel free to pm me so I can let you post it.

Otherwise go to the thread linked.

And pessimistic_optimist is not a mod.

Last edited by paraflux; 09-13-2006 at 09:07 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 06:04 PM   #122
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusanku
I was there......we drove from New Orleans. Can you post this? We all had fun and loved the concert. My 14yo son attended this as his first ever concert, and loved every minute of it. So what if Maynard was sick, and really we got to see something no one has........Maynard holding the mike for us to sing!
Anyone who didn't think they got their moneys worth should give their paycheck back the next time they go in sick or have some excuse why they didn't perform perfect
at work, 100% of the time.
The venue was a little weird......the closing of the concessions was out there, most places just stop selling booze after a certain time, but still sell cokes and food.
But we all thought it was still a great concert, and Maynard, we hope you're feeling better soon! Get well!
excellent attitude. I wish mine were this pleasant, even.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 06:14 PM   #123
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nweddle
I am a long time Tool fan, but I saw them for the first time on Sept 11.

I'm not bitter about what happened. I adjusted my attitude about halfway through the first song when I realized MJK couldn't sing 100%. I felt good that MJK sang at all for the rest of the concert. The band sounded great, but they were not loud enough.

I know some of you won't want to hear this, but I was at the Dave Matthews concert two weeks ago, with almost the exact same seats. Dave Matthews was much louder than Tool. I was only 11 rows from the stage at Tool, and the first thing I thought when they started playing was "Hmm, not very loud, I feel bad for the people on the lawn." I saw Nine Inch Nails at Red Rocks in Colorado this year, and they were the same way. I was shocked at the low volume level.

But anyway, I thought the set list was great, and Right in Two sounded awesome at the end of the concert. MJK looked like he was dragging ass. I appreciate the fact that he tried to get through it. The rest of the band really put out for the show as well.

I just hope they come back for another show next year. I know a lot of people want a free show and such, but sometimes life isn't fair, and you just move on.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #124
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centipedeGod
I really hate when Tool brings out kick-ass bands like Meshuggah and Isis on tour and nobody likes them. if you don't like it, shut the fuck up and let them finish, I for one was there for Isis as well.

the security was by far the worst i have ever encountered at any show. period. it was even worse then the time in October 01 where a red-shirt on a horse threatened to club a bunch of us if we didn't get moving. and i know a few people who work at the Pavillion and they are told to be highly aggresive by their superiors, i'm all for security, just don't be a total fucking dick about it.

I liked the show but agree it could have been a lot better had Maynard been at 100%, the other guys played their asses off it compensate. Adam's guitar during Jambi was fucking unreal, i don't think tool should offer a free show, i do think they should offer a chance to get a slight discount on a ticket the next time through if you can prove you were at the show, but its nice to dream cause it probally won't happen.

will i stop seeing Tool show's because of one just okay performance? no, Tool have been my favorite band for as long i can remember, and you can't fault maynard for trying to play even when he was sick, that shows more dedication to his fans then just cancelling the show.

just my two cents.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #125
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper2k
It was my first Tool show, and I have been dying to see them. For it being my first Tool show, I'm going to say that perhaps I was one of the few who actually enjoyed myself the entire show. I thought all the musicians were on par and even though I knew Maynard was sick and was not singing parts of songs, I was not disappointed. Just hearing the music and the crowd covering for him was enough for me. Maybe I wasn't bothered because it was my first time seeing Tool and had nothing else to compare it to. I tend to be a harsh critic when it comes to seeing bands live, but it was Tool, finally, and I was just happy to be there.

I left the galleria area around 7 and did not get into my seat til about 9:15! The car traffic and human traffic getting into the pavillion was INSANE. I had only been to the Woodlands once before for System of a Down/The Mars Volta last year, and I hate amphitheaters in general (the other being the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in SA/Selma). I've always had a lawn ticket and I never hear it loud or any sort of an impact out there. Sounds like I'm listening to the radio or something. So I was sure to get a seat ticket for this show, and I did. I was Left, Row BB, seat 19, and my view was better than I thought. Hell, there were quite a few empty seats all around me, I was suprised. I did not have anyone to the right or left of me for about 4 seats it seemed, I had all this rooom to myself for the whole show, ha.

Well, thanks to traffic, I totally missed Isis who I was also looking forward to seeing. So once I got into my seat, it wasn't long before Tool started. About their performance, it's pretty much what everyone else has already said. Yes, I was also someone who thought it was Danny's birthday, haha. While it did get annoying initially when Maynard would not sing on some parts, I just ignored it and got into the music itself, and Adam and Danny may very well be the best guitar/drummer combo I will ever see live. I can only imagine what a better Tool show would be like, with Maynard being 100%.

My feeling from everyone around me that I saw and heard, seemed to have enjoyed themselves and did not complain about Maynard, I mean, it's not like I heard booing or something to that effect. The lighters were insane, I have never seen that many lighters lit up at a show before, ever. I just turned around and saw the entire lawn lit up, I was like "DAYYUMM."

I was glad they played Jambi as the second song after not playing it in Phoenix, I got worried. Rosetta Stoned and Lateralus were my other favorites of the nite. While being pretty close in a seat, it still did not sound very loud. I've read other people complain about that too.

I was very disappointed to hear they cancelled the SA show, yet I totally understand. I had family and friends going to the show, and I know my little brother was really upset. I just hope they can reschedule it and not cancel it altogether.

But I hope and I'm sure I will see them again. Sometime soon I hope.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 07:33 AM   #126
Banned.

This needs to be posted in here, optimistic_pessimist acquired the Houston setlist from the lighting guy at the Dallas show.

http://stashbox.org/uploads/11585935...on_setlist.jpg
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: