Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
62827's Avatar 62827
06-05-2011, 11:37 PM

Yeah, I know thats a pretty big claim seeing as there are ALOT of songs in the 4/4 time signature with memorable bass lines but... does anyone think The Pot might have the best bass line? I can play this song on bass and from a bassist perspective, even though there's nothing technical about it that makes it noteworthy, it just has such a catchy line that plays for over 70% of the song. Does anyone else agree that this song may have the best bass line of any 4/4 song (yes, I know some of the parts are in 3/4)?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Best bass line for a 4/4 song?

Yeah, I know thats a pretty big claim seeing as there are ALOT of songs in the 4/4 time signature with memorable bass lines but... does anyone think The Pot might have the best bass line? I can play this song on bass and from a bassist perspective, even though there's nothing technical about it that makes it noteworthy, it just has such a catchy line that plays for over 70% of the song. Does anyone else agree that this song may have the best bass line of any 4/4 song (yes, I know some of the parts are in 3/4)?
06-06-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean_okra View Post
hard to say, i haven't heard all the bass lines ever written in 4/4

seriously though, what does the time signature have to do with anything? odd time signatures are not so common precisely because it's hard to work with them; tool makes 13/8 or whatever sound natural, but many more artists make 4/4 sound exceptional. i never count the time when listening to music.
Thats funny, I always feel like it's easier for me to get into the song when I know what time signature it's played in so I can actually get into a rhythm with it myself. This is very fun to do with bands such as Tool and Radiohead. I guess it must be a drummer thing, but I've always been that way with music. There are some Tool songs I still don't know the time signatures to, and I didn't find out on my own that The Pot, for the most part, is played in 4/4, admittedly. That just goes to show how brilliant the bass part is though for being relatively simple (for Tool).
Old 06-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #2

Re: Best bass line for a 4/4 song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean_okra View Post
hard to say, i haven't heard all the bass lines ever written in 4/4

seriously though, what does the time signature have to do with anything? odd time signatures are not so common precisely because it's hard to work with them; tool makes 13/8 or whatever sound natural, but many more artists make 4/4 sound exceptional. i never count the time when listening to music.
Thats funny, I always feel like it's easier for me to get into the song when I know what time signature it's played in so I can actually get into a rhythm with it myself. This is very fun to do with bands such as Tool and Radiohead. I guess it must be a drummer thing, but I've always been that way with music. There are some Tool songs I still don't know the time signatures to, and I didn't find out on my own that The Pot, for the most part, is played in 4/4, admittedly. That just goes to show how brilliant the bass part is though for being relatively simple (for Tool).
06-08-2011, 12:34 PM

No I get where you're coming from, and I usually start by identifying the rhythm before figuring out what time signature it's played in, since for me figuring out the rhythm is key to figuring out the time signature. I just remember with this song I was always trying to figure out the counting of the bass line that I never bothered to just try counting it in 4/4 since if you listen to the drums it's clearly a 4/4 beat. In other words Justin basically just overshadows everything in this song lol.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #3

No I get where you're coming from, and I usually start by identifying the rhythm before figuring out what time signature it's played in, since for me figuring out the rhythm is key to figuring out the time signature. I just remember with this song I was always trying to figure out the counting of the bass line that I never bothered to just try counting it in 4/4 since if you listen to the drums it's clearly a 4/4 beat. In other words Justin basically just overshadows everything in this song lol.
06-08-2011, 09:19 PM

Yes! I agree with everything you just said. I actually just got into his first album with Peach before he was in Tool and his early influence to where he is now mimics the overall progression of the band Tool in such a way that the two seem to have been on a parallel path that eventually merged into one.

Last edited by 62827; 06-08-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #4

Yes! I agree with everything you just said. I actually just got into his first album with Peach before he was in Tool and his early influence to where he is now mimics the overall progression of the band Tool in such a way that the two seem to have been on a parallel path that eventually merged into one.

Last edited by 62827; 06-08-2011 at 09:20 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply