opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #81
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 9
Re: 2006/05/15 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre

hey screw all u ppl complaining about the late start. obviously, you weren't in line outside the building at 8:35 freaking the fuck out b/c you read all other shows started at 8:15. I had people on call in the place that if the lights went down, they'd let me know and i'd charge the frickin' doors, mowing the masses (150+?) to the curb. seriously, if they had started on time, i'd have missed LK/RS and then who would be bitching? Me! For a face value refund because obviously it was the security and the slow filing-in that made it so people were still outside the venue at 8:40. rant over.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #82
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

Looks as if I'm not the only one who thought the sound was terrible. Very muddled and confused. I was in F2 row F seat 206. Ahhh yes, if the guy that was standing next to me(207)is reading this, I hope you fucking die a loooong, miserable death. If anyone absolutely did not belong there,it was you. Don't show up to a Tool concert stumbling drunk. Don't ask me if they're gonna play that one song where the guy says "Fuck your god". This bitch actually passed out right before Vicarious. Anyone else see/smell this guy? Dirty white shirt, long pony tail, smelled like a bag of assholes.. Its rather upsetting that maybe 1/2 the people in the Fox Theatre knew anything about the band. Tool should have applications for tickets. Such bullshit some of you paid $300 to see the show and people with no appreciation for the band whatsoever get in for free AND ruin the expirience for everyone in a 10 ft radius. Sigh. Ahh well, what can you do, other than piss all over the people that pass out at Tool shows. :) FUCKER!

Last edited by UADOS; 05-16-2006 at 01:59 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #83
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie
Since the venues already have crazy fuck ass rules for attending shows, maybe we should instill a system to get licensed to attend concerts. True fans in the front.... white trash fucko's in the back. True fans must flash the hand signal Maynard made in their picture and the fuckos must get their mullets trimmed for theirs. (please recognize the sarcasm)

The guy behind me screaming "Justin" only got on my nerves 1/2 way thru the show but, his stunning personality and hip dance moves overshadowed it. Plus, he just plain fuckin stopped.... I think his wife made him. :)

So, what did Danny and Justin have to say???? How did it all go down???

haha yeah i know that hand signal!!! lol.

but anyways we waited outside til about 1 am in the rain and they finally came out. wasnt exactly the best scenario, but ill take it. plus there was a big fence blocking us. so the interaction was through a fence. adam walked by and waved and that was it. justin stopped over just said hi and thanks and stuff like that and shook everyones hand (through the fence, lol ). danny came over and didnt get to say much bc there was a homeless crack addict guy standing there screaming "hey tool guys i need 4 dollars tool guys!" so i think that scared him away. he just said hi to everyone and shook hands and said thanks for coming out.
it was great to see them so up close and get to shake hands with them. i was honored
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 02:11 PM   #84
Level 2 - Poster

I could do without an opening act for any Tool show. It was amazing when Danny came out. The crowd went ape shit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #85
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 31

great show as said.

found it easy to smoke pot there. i was in ga5. thought it was a great warmup and i can't wait till fall...
riddle me this. once i was prominently displayed for all to see . I made many a man question his true desires. now however i am most likely packed away. However i could be a nice money maker for those who love to squeeze fake things. who or what am I?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #86
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 96

The show was awesome. Everything everyone else said.

I was disappointed that maybe half of the people in that theater were "Tool fans" beyond the classic "Sober rocks, man." And ditto to all those people who say stuff like, "This is Tool, man, how can you be sitting?" and bitch about "zombies." I nodded my head and tapped my foot, but the majority of the show I just wanted to space out and listen to the music. Flailing your body around and/or screaming your own version of Lateralus doesn't help anybody.

I also wish people would be more considerate. Like, with their drugs. Pot makes my stomach feel like it's imploding and it drives my fiancee to suicide. I know that more than one person on this board had to worry about crossing the US/Canadian border last night. Not always easy to do with a contact high. And, yeah, girl next to me. I was the one who pointed the security guard to you when you lit up. Stop blowing smoke at people. Asshole.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 02:20 PM   #87
Level 2 - Poster

I'll pay 75 bucks to see them again if they play as good as they did at the Fox
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 02:33 PM   #88
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake_Astro_T00L
"You have to do better then boa-ties and jockstraps...oh look a loafer...we want bras and panties...come on Detroit that's not very rock and roll like of you.....Fine we will play fucking longer."
The last comment was "Fine, we'll fuckin' play some more."

Too bad there wasn't a sniper to pick off the kids who held up lighters during the sit-down break.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #89
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I thought the sound was awesome, right by the soundboard is the way to go . The energy in the venue was incredible too. It was the most powerful I had heard the band (next to Cleveland in 94') to date this being my 7th show. I thought the visuals were very nice(very colorful) the way it silhouetted Maynard, and I can only imagine what the visuals will grow to become for the full tour. All in all probably the most incredible musical experience I have ever witnessed in person. I especially liked the 75 year old blue hair ushers in my section. I was just looking at them minutes before the show thinking that these poor old women(proabaly volunteers no less) had no idea what was about to happen, I mean it was friggin loud!!!

Crunchy guitars, rumbling bass and thundering drums, all accented by a stellar vocal performance....couldn't have been happier last night.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 05:37 PM   #90
Level 1 - Lurker

...so at the end of the show, when the band was standing on stage, I tossed a neon green soft frisby to Maynard. He staggered slightly to his left, reached down and made the grab! Show was simply amazing. I was blown away...the mushrooms may have helped.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 05:41 PM   #91
Level 3 - Talker

hah i was wondering what that was, he was looked like he was really interested in it, then gave it to danny and they threw it back. was pretty sweet.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 05:56 PM   #92
Level 1 - Lurker

lmfao your the one who threw that up there, that was great when danny when to throw it back but fucked up i was in the 3rd row in the orchestra pit and this show was bad fucking ass cant wai until they come back
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 05:57 PM   #93
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy
...so at the end of the show, when the band was standing on stage, I tossed a neon green soft frisby to Maynard. He staggered slightly to his left, reached down and made the grab! Show was simply amazing. I was blown away...the mushrooms may have helped.
Yeah, I thought Danny had it, lol.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #94
Level 1 - Lurker

Maynard caught it, didn't really know what to do with it, so he handed to danny. Danny proceeded to try and throw it side arm and failed miserably. Musta stuck to his finger. He finally managed to toss it into the crowd. BTW...whoever caught it...I want it back!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #95
Level 1 - Lurker

i dedicate this review to satan

my 8th TooL show and the best so far - it's just as hard to pick a favorite show as it is to pick a favorite song - but there's no doubt the venue size is what put it over the top - the $200/ea price tag times two, $150.00 in gas, $120 hotel room, 16 hours round trip from nashville (i'm from houston originally, so i'm very envious of everyone is dallas that got to attand the SMU auditorium date), having to put up with my girlfriend's driving, and trying to roll sans steady table on a frisbee - all of this would be the norm for a TooL disciple to catch a show - but to see them in the Fox theatre - this was a stage made for TooL - the ornate decor and beautiful acoustics were a perfect mate to the thousands of screaming TooLheads - there were a few people there who just didn't get it - all drunk and shit acting like they were at a fucking hole concert - but for the most part it was our fellow congregation of 'obedient' listeners there simply for the journey - now....on to the show - i'm an idiot and didn't even think of the time change, so we stroll in there @ what i thought was 7:45 and walk into the last 5 minutes of rosetta stoned - i guess it could have been worse - anyone that attends this warm-up tour has a memory that will be forever as vivid as it was that night - it was a thing of beauty - the band was one - they seemed more relaxed with the smaller venue (not that they're ever uptight) but it was like they were playing for a bunch of friends - Maynard was talking more, joking about the pistons and shit - they went on to stinkfist (extended live version!!!) - 46 & 2, jambi, schism (sweet live version), right in two (i was not expecting this AWESOME), sober, lateralus, vicarious, aenema - Maynard was more visable & was swaying as only he can, Adam, was honed in, Justin was hammering away (the hairs on my arm were moving from the sound), and Danny....oh Danny - what the hell are we supposed to say about him - a fuckin' mazing - he channelled the demons tonight - sorry for the long review, but i tried to write what i had a chance to digest over the ride home - i can tell you if i tried to write this last night, it would have been terrible due to sensory overload - again, all of you that had a chance to see this, i'm sure you feel the same way - it was a truly intimate experience with the greatest band in recorded history
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #96
Level 3 - Talker

Saw somebody else drove from Buffalo NY... I did too and thought it was well worth the 300 miles and $175 ticket. I got to Fox so early that I was literally one of the first people in the building (they had about five or six lines at the glass doors and I was the first at one of them). That place is gorgeous. How somebody can even think of smoking up inside Fox Theatre is beyond me... total disrespect. I'm seriously shocked to see that most people thought the sound was terrible. I've been reading these concert reviews every night they played up untill I made the trip to Detroit being worried about the sound, as every show has gotten comments about being muddy and not being able to hear Maynard. I heard every single word Maynard said/sang minus a few parts of Rosetta Stoned. I was third row F6, all the way to the right. It must have been a sweet spot for sound because it was the clearest I've ever encountered in my life. Not as loud as I expected, but I'll take being able to hear every detail any day when it comes to Tool. I didn't read the Chicago reviews, so I almost shit myself when Schism came on in a different order from the other setlists. I knew something was up. Then I recognized Intention playing for about five seconds and reached a whole new level of pumped when Right In Two started... I thought for the first time ever. Didn't mind losing The Pot because it'll be back for the arena tour, but as said by others... missing The Patient sucked big time. The song has eluded me again (last time on the Lateralus Tour) and isn't a song that will likely come up again often if ever.

Best song performances in my opinion:
Jambi was the first song to blow me away, Right In Two was a great mood change and total surprise, Lateralus... no words necessary as usual, Vicarious: HOLY SHIT, I think Maynard blew over the whole theatre for the final part, and Aenima. Aenima was insane!!! Seen it before, wasn't really interested in seeing it again as its starting to fall into the Sober category for me, but it BLEW THE ROOF OFF!

Stood in the rain for an hour or more by that fence with about 12 people or so, but knowing I was reaching dangerous levels of cold and still had to drive 300 miles cut the wait short. Cool you other die-hards got to meet Danny and Justin.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 08:34 PM   #97
Level 1 - Lurker

TooL:Fucking awesome show. Daney Carey/Justin Chancellor are the most under-rated rhythm section in any band ever.

Setlist:
Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
AEnima

I wish they wouldve played parabol/parabola, the pot, or eulogy instead of right in two..

best song of the night in my opinion was Vicarious, the band just seemed to click together and nailed every part of that song.

Quotes of the night:
"We have a new record that just came out recently, if you don't have it, please buy it as soon as possible. I want to put a new wing on my winery, but I'm a few dollars short"-Maynard James Keenan

"I also want to thank Satan"-Maynard James Keenan

Can't wait til the come back in August. Great Fucking Show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #98
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy
Maynard caught it, didn't really know what to do with it, so he handed to danny. Danny proceeded to try and throw it side arm and failed miserably. Musta stuck to his finger. He finally managed to toss it into the crowd. BTW...whoever caught it...I want it back!
That was fucking hilarious when Maynard gave to Danny, Danny looked back and Maynard put his hands up like, "I'm not fucking with that". Good times.

Great show, not my favorite Tool show but still, great show. Hopefully we will see a bootleg of some sort surface eventually... I've been trying to get one from every show this tour and so far its been working pretty well.

Oh yeah, and I've been to a lot of theatres in a lot of cities and states but the Fox tops them all visually. Wow.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:55 PM   #99
Level 1 - Lurker

I'll try to keep it short since I don't really have anything new to say:

This was my first Tool show and it blew me away. Security was kind of annoying coming in, but I got there a bit early so I wasn't waiting too long. After I got in, though, they didn't bother me at all. I was in M2, fifth row. Had a great view of the stage; all of the band members and the screens. Unfortunately I thought the sound was a bit muddy where I was, especially for Rosetta Stoned. It was a bit difficult to hear Maynard when he was talking in between songs. The guitar and bass were hard to hear at times. They all performed pretty much how I imagined they would. Maynard was very animated; Adam seemed very nonchalant; Justin was a bit more animated than I expected. But Danny, my god. I can't describe the way that he plays. He is very intense to watch and he makes sure you hear every drum he hits. I think Danny impressed me the most just because I didn't think anyone could be that intense while playing drums.

The people around me were very cool. The few people that were right next to me were nice. I didn't talk to them much; they were drinking but they didn't get shit-faced and annoying. I think me and them were the only ones in my section who were standing the entire time. I didn't mind people sitting down and I understand why people would; personally, I couldn't make myself sit down, and when the people in front of me sat down it made it a bit easier to see. Nobody around me was really smoking; there was one guy in front of me who had a cigarette. I didn't smell any weed, but there may have been some around me.

I would have preferred to hear Eon Blue Apocalypse and The Patient instead of Right in Two. Schism really surprised me. It's not my favorite song but seeing it live really brings new meaning to the song. Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned were awesome songs to open with. Really set the mood for the rest of the concert. I was really glad I got to see Lateralus live; that's been one of my favorites since the first time I heard it. Ænima was a great song to close with. That's always been another one of my favorites. As soon as Maynard starting whispering "hey" and everyone realized what they were about to hear, the place just went fucking nuts. The energy from the crowd alone made that song intense, but the band really pulled that one off.

Overall, the sound was a bit muddy, I would have preferred the other setlist, but it was still a kick ass show. The whole band was amazing, but Danny really amazed me. I knew he was good from listening to the albums, but actually witnessing him going crazy during a drum solo is a completely different experience. Can't wait for the arena shows!

So much for keeping it short...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-16-2006, 11:06 PM   #100
Level 8 - Vociferous

The sound at the Fox was perfect... better than Pine Knob, the Palace, or at MSU by far!!!! Tool gets better and better with each performance, which is impossible.

I've never heard that many people sing along to Maynard's lyrics before. When half of the crowd screamed "god damn shit the bed," I cracked the shit up.

Most enthusiastic Tool crowd I've ever seen.

The line to get into the show was HORRENDOUS! I stood in line at 7:30 P.M. and didn't get in until 8:40 P.M. Luckily, Tool didn't start playing untill about 8:45.

I was in line in front of a couple of drunk-ass dudes drinking 40s, and my girlfriend and I lit up a J... did I mention the line was long?

Anyway... Tool live = GOD

The new part of Schism rocked, and Rosetta Stoned was so chisled that it sounded like they were playing acoustic to the CD version... i'm permanently Tooled over nowwwwwww
Old 05-17-2006, 09:20 AM   #101
Level 3 - Talker

Great concert, the extended version of Schism just fucking rocked, i think it makes the song a lot more enjoyable. Right in Two was amazing live, but my two favorites were Lateralus and Vicarious, i could just feel the energy running throughout the crowd, amazing. The scene after Aenema was just surreal, hundreds of fans with their arms straight up in the air screaming their lungs out and the guys on stage throwing various items into the crowd and giving each other hugs. I can't wait to see them again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-17-2006, 10:38 AM   #102
Level 1 - Lurker

1st time seeing Tool. 2nd concert ever.

6 hour drive from somewhere in Canada.
$190 canadian for my ticket [thank you ebay......]
$100 gas
$50 food
$35 tool 10,000 days 2006 tour hat
Worth every fucking red cent.

PLEASE POST YOUR PICTURES PLEASE OR EMAIL ME I really want to have a few pics from that night I want to frame a few. I had a cell but I was too much of a pussy to use it as security was like a f*cking prison.

I love the FOX theatre. Am I the only one who thought that the place felt like a temple? Christ. I didnt mind being in the nose bleeders at all. The layout was such that I had a great view and the sound ruled. Mint.

Aenema owned. Was my fave song of the night.

Lateralus made me shit. I love that song. I LOVE [I dont care what you all say] but I truly loved how the cheering after Lateralus just went on. After awhile of it, the 4 guys went and had a seat on Maynard's little stage. Everybody was just soaking it in and feeling the energy in the croud that night. Insane.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #103
Level 1 - Lurker

OK- It's been a couple of days and I must say the show still reverberates w/me. Stood in F3-row N, great spot to be in and could hear very well. People complaining about RS being muddled, I think was purposely done when MJK was singing through a megaphone in parts or maybe not, what the hell do I know. I thought the guys were in top form and have never seen them in such a light mood on stage. Very enjoyable to see them this way as I think this is more of their true to life personas. Was the fifth time seing them and although not my all time favorite show(Lateralus-Cobo Arena/State is tied for favorites) it was nonetheless a great performance. I wish they could of squeezed out a couple more songs, but oh well, I got home at a decent time. You all will appreciate this when you reach your 30's as well!!

BTW people can drink beer and act civilized. Not all beer drinkers are obnoxious, out of control fools. Anyone else catch the Parabol tease before LK/RS opener? Maybe I was imagining it. Not sure if it's been mentioned on the board. See you all in the fall!

Last edited by YourDaddy; 05-17-2006 at 10:58 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #104
Level 1 - Lurker

Alrighty..This is my 16th Tool show..Been seeing them since Opiate first came out and they would visit a small hole in the wall known as The Reptile House in Grand Rapids,Mi...

Setlist was killer...Visuals were great but nowhere near the Lateralus experience..Im sure they will get better as the tour goes on, as always.

A little muddy at the start, but that shaped up real quik. The Fox is designed for acoustics and when the crowd would get going, you couldnt hear the music....very very loud crowd.
Stage prescence was typical Tool, everyone took their place and they blew up. I would love to see a show like the old days when MJK would creep up to the front of the pit(well...no pit at the Fox of course) and sing right to the center of it...I miss him galavanting around the stage like the troll that just crawled from under the bridge...

LATERALIS ruled all once again...Best song of the show imho. Thats gonna be one of those they'll play for a long time...RIGHT IN TWO was amazing and I could see them adding that to the repertoire for years to come.

Would have really loved to hear Wings.../10,000 days, tho....(my mom passed about 5 months ago). That song has taken them to a new level for me...and I thought they were as high as possible.

What can I say that hasnt been said...The Fox theater in Detroit...are u kidding me..Never thought that would happen..Seeing them there was really a dream come true.

The only thing that really sucked were the two barely legals standing in front of us, dancing with their empty beer cups and slaughtering every word to every song....And then there was the meathead next to me playing airguitar the whole show....(making sure his big ass gold chain didnt get out of place)..do i sound bitter?? sorry.

The best part was how the crowd would sing along with some of the older songs..man that never gets old....nothing better than taking something beautiful and reducing it to a drunken sing along.

We did get the guy next to us totally blown out...that was great..i dont think he was expecting that at all(sec GH2,row H)...remember me buddy : )

Well, off to dedicate the rest of the year to seeing the band whenever i can..( I have only missed 1 Michigan appearance since Opiate)<---yes bragging, but I am old so i get to do that stuff!!

-K

-"If u wanna be a non-conformist then all you have to do is wear what we wear and listen to the same music we do"
-Pussy Goth-Kid from South Park
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #105
Level 2 - Poster

this was my first tool show and it was fuckin awsome .....totally worth the price of the ticket. the whole show was the highlight for me and how loud it was when i could hear all of the fox singing aenima! cant wait for the late summer shows to come around. will probably hit all the michigan shows as well as any in illinois or ohio. BEST SHOW IVE EVER SEEN!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 06:28 AM   #106
Level 2 - Poster

i see some people agree that they want to hear old songs too. i like the new disc and warm up dates in small venues is a cool idea. my main gripes are...short sets, having one of my favorite bands go on tour and pay high dollars to see them 'only' play the HITS and (so-so) cuts from new discs) thats not a great idea. who really thinks 'right in two' and jambi are better choices than say eulogy, third eye, sweat, swamp song, opiate...etc and so on. fuck! seriously, i was there and waited for a surprise and got nothing. when you are a band with a fanbase that is all over the internet talking about concert after concert why wouldn't you have some SURPRISES or COMPLETE LEFT TURNS in your set for the 'FANS' on a small venue tour. does anybody hear me on this?
i go see other bands all the time and they mix up the set. don't get me wrong (I love tool) but do the diehard fans a service and play something different from city to city.

all of this tells me they rehearsed the set for a week or so in a private location with lights and sound and all the effects are set to be the 'same' every night. LAME!

mix it up....play pushit, jerk off or intolorence or hooker with a penis or no quarter cover...

PALEEZE don't let me down this fall with another HITS tour. For the love of all that is good in this world.

Mix it up guys. its so predictable.

ROCK ME!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #107
Level 2 - Poster

Great show........and i think everyones reviews have summed it up. I really dont understand the complaints about the sound being off because i thought it was perfect. The only part that i could see people complaining about where the first few verses of rosetta stoned when he was singing into a talk box or whatever that was....but thats the way it sounds on the cd also so maybe this people just dont know what theyre talking about. I was in F4 row G, so i guess i cant talk for the people who were in the balcony. For all you people who complain about the set list you should do what i did. I stayed away from this sites concert reviews forum before the show.....so i went into the show having pretty much no clue what i was going to hear. I obviously expected the usuals sober, schism, stinkfist, lateralus......but when they started lost keys into rosetta i was completely caught off gaurd and was happily surprised. Also ending with aenema was great. It was tough as hell not taking a peak, but all in all it made it worth it. Im also glad we saw them when we did, if you read some of the other reviews that we were sandwiched in between (chicago, pennsylvania) maynard was sick and not into it at all. He seemed fine at ours and was dancing around like a freak like usual. Comparing this concert to the one in KZOO, id have to say visuals were a lot better in kzoo, sound was about equal, set list was better this time, so id have to give the edge to this concert all in all.. Someone posted that they were coming back on 9/16/06....anyone else see anything about this?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #108
Level 4 - Thinker

I thought the sound in Detroit was incredible, infinitely better than Oakland. Although it seemed that Danny toned it down a bit. In Oakland, I swear he had some superbass that was hitting the brown note. It would shake your vision. It was insane. The Detroit show was the best I've seen out of the 4 I've been to on this tour.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 03:23 PM   #109
Level 3 - Talker

Simply an incredible show. At times I would close my eyes and get lost in
the music, as it moved through me, literally. From our seats (F5, row N)
the sound was perfect. Loved the part when Justin manipulated that
feedback loop (I'm forgetting which song that intro'd... what was it?).
I only wish the show was a bit longer, and expected more considering
the ticket price. More Tool is always better. Ah well...

Hope all the out-of-towners enjoyed their stay in Detroit, and made it
out OK...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 05:09 PM   #110
Level 1 - Lurker

The most amazing thing happened to me on Monday night. I got to see my favorite band live once again. We almost didn't get to go. My husband tried to surprise me the day the tickets went on sale. Bless his heart, he was on the computer by 9:45 a.m. How dissapointed he was to tell me he didn't get tickets. Of course almost immediately, he went to ebay. Tickets were on sale for no less than $500., and as high as $1300. Long story short, my wonderful brother in law won front row on the riff. I have seen Tool 3 times. First time was in the pit at Toledo Speedway many years ago, and I didn't even get that close. As many of you are sure to know, Tool fans arn't budging to 3 females.

The sound was great, except it was hard to hear Maynard. I didn't mind so much because I knew all the words, but it was my huband's first show and I would've liked him to hear the majic for himself. That took a very back seat when he caught one of Danny's drumsticks!! Yes, he beats the hell out of his drums, as the proof is on them. Nothing could've made the show more memorable for me because at the end of the show, I myself caught a drum stick!!!! Maynard shook his head when I was begging for a bottle of water and threw it over my head. Probably thinking "greedy little b-itch". I'm laughing to myself as I'm writing this and I admit that I am. Wouldn't anyone?

It was absoulutely amazing to see them all so close. For all the absolute Tool fans, pay the money to get those tickets. I was standing directly in front of Adam. You won't ever regret it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #111
Rob
Level 2 - Poster

Did anyon else notice that Maynard was going to say something right before he walked off stage? He grabbed one of the mics from danny's kit, but it was off. :(

I wonder what he was going to say......
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 08:42 PM   #112
Level 2 - Poster

This was my first tool show and I was completely blown away. I sat in section GA5 about 4 rows up and had an excellent view of the stage and the whole show sounded great. I honestly could not hear anything but the music. The fox theatre was the perfect venue and was worth the price of admission. On a side note I'm from Dayton, Ohio and had tickets to see the lateralus tour on 9/12/01 but is was cancelled because of the 9/11 situation.

Things I noticed (that someone else hasn't mentioned)

Did anyone see Maynard smoking something during the show? My friend and I both thought it looked like he was smoking during schism I think.

After the sit down break when Adam and Maynard where playing on their keyboards, Maynard picked up his mic and whispered "You believed in me.." from wings part 1. I got really excited . Then they broke out into Vicarious and melted my face.

I got the feeling that this mini tour is for filming a DVD or maybe a live cd because the set list almost felt like "Tool's Greatest Hits." Anyways the whole show was high energy and at times I swear I felt the balcony moving. That huge chandelier that hangs from the top of the theatre was wavering also. I was really expecting the entire place to crumble at the end of aenema - it was that fucking loud. EPIC

Overall I would say it was the greatest experience of my life, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them again this fall (hopefully here in my home town). I am completely convinced that these 4 men are the greatest musicians of all time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-19-2006, 09:58 AM   #113
Level 1 - Lurker

I stood and watched Maynard the whole time, and he wasn't smoking anything.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #114
Level 7 - Loquacious

this was by far the best show i've ever seen. it was amazing to be so close to the stage i could see facial expressions, my favorite band, who could ask for more. my boyfriend almost caught one of dannys drumsticks... i really wanted that. damnit. but ya, it was just mind blowing.

oh, i did smell pot imediatly in the O P.

mandy
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: