opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate » 4. Cold and Ugly
User Name
Password
Old 11-19-2002, 09:38 AM   #1
predicticus maximus

Bincount™: 2
Anyone seen C&U on the current tour?

Has anyone had the pleasure of seeing Cold & Ugly live as the opener on this tour....i have and i thought it was an amazing opener...oh yeah and does anyone know anything about any taped shows from either August 12 2002 in Trenton, NJ or on October 29, 2002 in Philadelphia, PA....i've been looking for some audio or video for these shows but have been unsuccsesful...anyone?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 09:58 AM   #2
OGT
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Cold and Ugly

They opened with cold and ugly in Lowell on the 28th of october...it completely blew me away. I never realized how amazing that song can be as an opener. It really got the crowd moving. As for the taped shows, I know nothing of them...
Old 11-19-2002, 10:22 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

was an opener on 11-16-02 in okc it was great and a bit unexpected for me, as far as the ? about the video or audio from specific shows... that in itself has been a question of mine for a while now, i have never found a definate answer to my question as to if the band supports taping (to the extent that as long as the music is traded (non-profit) for the enjoyment of the music it is okay) i have a few bootlegs and have seen others make reference to theirs but I am unsure of the bands stance on this, do they view it as a violation similar to their views on mp3's or what, for me it is just a chance to relive the shows as the energy that comes from the show is obviously much more powerful than that from the albums. (hows this for a run on sentence?!)
Old 11-19-2002, 10:30 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Cold and Ugly

Quote:
Originally posted by OGT
They opened with cold and ugly in Lowell on the 28th of october...it completely blew me away. I never realized how amazing that song can be as an opener. It really got the crowd moving. As for the taped shows, I know nothing of them...
*sigh*

I was at the Amherst show I think two nights before, so I missed Cold & Ugly. Kinda depressing.

At least I got Aenema though. Wow.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:45 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by grtrthnone
for me it is just a chance to relive the shows as the energy that comes from the show is obviously much more powerful than that from the albums. (hows this for a run on sentence?!)
That's why I wish they would release a live DVD.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:51 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

a live dvd would be great possibly mixed in with a boxed set that has a studio version of their cover of "stranglehold" maybe some unreleased material you know kinda like salival. But i would still love any info ontheir views of bootlegs
Old 11-19-2002, 12:13 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

live DVD:

i personally hope that they NEVER release a live DVD. a few years ago when bands started (not really STARTED) releasing videos of their live performances i was very happy. however, over the past couple years the use of cameras and the transfer to DVD has become so easy and accessible EVERYONE has jumped onto that "band-wagon." even bands that i respect get this wierd CHEAP vibe going on with the live performance. when you go see a show, you dont get to be behind or on the stage. there is no swooping camera angles with your eyes. basically, the genre of taping a live show has turned into a god-dam bon jovi HBO special. it no longer holds the artistic integrity it used to. for example, the NIN video realease Closure. this double video contains both a complete (at the time) video archive, and a MIXTURE of live performances. the actual film itself is artisticaly stimulating to watch. the way in which trent reznor edited the sound and film is quite amazing. however, it seems this "integrity" has gone down the shitter. ive seen tool 7 times now and NO fucking DVD or video can EVER compare to the actual live show.

ironically, i DO support bootlegs. for some reason, the rawness of the performance is caught on these tapes. usually, the cameraman is having to hide himself from the bouncers. thus, there is no swooping camera angles and pre-meditated speeches by the vocalist. the band and the audience are somewhat blind to whats going on (someone taping the show) and thus the "integrity" is kept alive. i personally own quite a bit of bootlegs (tool/etc) and dont really bother worrying about the bands opinion on the tapes. apparently the band is going to put on a show weither its taped or not. they probably dont care for my opinions.....and thus i dont care for theirs. i take their music very seriously yet i DO understand it is fucking "rock and roll" and being able to re-live the concert on your T.V. is an incredible experience in its own right. [...]

getting back to the subject at hand......i once again DENOUNCE the idea of tool doing a live DVD. thats about it.

-s p i r a l - o u t - k e e p - g o i n g-

Edit by Chris_Brightwell: Edited out the live recording offer. Please keep such offers out of these forums. Thanks.

Last edited by Chris_Brightwell; 11-19-2002 at 10:36 PM..
Old 11-19-2002, 12:31 PM   #8

Bincount™: 9
Band doesnt support bootlegs

Quote:
Originally posted by grtrthnone
was an opener on 11-16-02 in okc it was great and a bit unexpected for me, as far as the ? about the video or audio from specific shows... that in itself has been a question of mine for a while now, i have never found a definate answer to my question as to if the band supports taping (to the extent that as long as the music is traded (non-profit) for the enjoyment of the music it is okay) i have a few bootlegs and have seen others make reference to theirs but I am unsure of the bands stance on this, do they view it as a violation similar to their views on mp3's or what, for me it is just a chance to relive the shows as the energy that comes from the show is obviously much more powerful than that from the albums. (hows this for a run on sentence?!)
I have read many interveiws in which maynard states "our music is not yours to give". He feels the artists have worked hard on their expressions, and it would be fair to pay the money to buy the cd. I doubt tool would release a live dvd. That wouldnt seem like them
Old 11-19-2002, 12:44 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

that is a rather obtuse view (no intention to flame you seriously) i think that a live show could be done in a way that would not distort the vision simply set a camera in the soundboard area and let it record, proceed with the show as normal and viola there you go. this is what i would like to see not a video spliced from 10 different shows. no artsy fartsy swooping camera shots etc so to an extent i do agree with you, i feel as if tool has enough integrity to do this or a nice compromise of the two without a total HBO type p.o.s. essentially what im interested in is getting a high quality video with a somewhat bootleg feel to it. that would be great
Old 11-19-2002, 12:48 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Band doesnt support bootlegs

Quote:
Originally posted by Speareman

I have read many interveiws in which maynard states "our music is not yours to give". He feels the artists have worked hard on their expressions, and it would be fair to pay the money to buy the cd. I doubt tool would release a live dvd. That wouldnt seem like them
i have read these same interviews and if my memory serves me correctly this was in the process of describing his feelings about .mp3's (interperated by myself as studio recordings that have been ripped) not bootlegs which by the way but not supporting my view specifically bootlegs converted to/from .mp3 has a tendency to suck due to .mp3 being a lossy compression for electronic sharing of bootlegs i much prefer a straight out huge .wav file (yeach) or preferably .shn fils do to their being lossless type compression and not creating excessive noise in the recording
Old 11-19-2002, 12:54 PM   #11

i agree:

i agree with you, man. after typing all that shit, i know it was going to be said, and i DO agree with a camera being set up in the soundboard area. when it comes to bootlegs.......i have acquired quite a few from this past tour, both summer and fall. i am however, VERY dissappointed in the bootlegers themselves. they focus the camera on the members of the band WAY too much. personnaly, when i watch tool perform live i focus on the art they are presenting to me. honestly, i am there ONLY to hear the music. thus, for the sake of hearing, all i would have to do is close my eyes. however, tool is a very visual band. they use screens and backdrops to convey another "external" message. aside from the past outfits or personnas maynard has dived into, the band themselves look like average everyday people. thus, they direct the focus OFF themselves, and onto the music and images. getting to my point,......i wish that the cameramen would zoom back from just one individual member and focus on the WHOLE show at hand. the two screens on the this recent tour are VERY spaced out. it would require a very far back vew to catch it all on camera. the soundboard is the PERFECT place for such an angle. if tool was to video-tape their performance from the point of view of a "fan" i would be more than happy to chip in my $20 for the DVD.

-s p i r a l - o u t - k e e p - g o i n g-
Old 11-19-2002, 01:14 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

this is the same view i have you need the whole stage / set in the picture and nothing less no zooming in on maynards back or adams guitar just the whol thing from an audiences point ov view. therefore allowing the "show" experience. as far as closing my eyes gotta say once again i saw them for the fourth time last saturday and as with everytime before i find myself fighting the urge to just close my eyes and vegetate to the music there is so much going on i want to see it all but at the same time close my eyes and explore myself (please refrain from the easy joke here )
Old 11-19-2002, 01:42 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

regardless, it will never be the same as actually being there. I've seen some shows, and sometimes I wish I could see from a different angle or elevation or even what goes on behind the scenes.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:43 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

by the way, have they been playing the Cold & Ugly Intro lately (when they play C&U)?
Old 11-19-2002, 10:19 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

i know toolband just said recently that they're taping the last 10 shows, and that maynard mentioned it at a concert the other day. and i remember adam talking about a new release at the end of this year. I would really love to see a Live Tool DVD. The Rage video was great, the one with the ghost of tom joad CD. I never got a chance to see them live, and the way it was captured it didn't lose any of the energy. and the new NIN DVD is amazing, it actually got me back into them. Although that style used on both those concert videos wouldn't suite Tool at all. At the radio city show, i saw two cameras at the soundboard. It was quite a far and elevated distance and noone touched them or did anything, so my best guess is that it was to capture the entire stage, without zooms and such. im not sure how i'd want a live dvd from Tool to look, but i'd love to hear a really good quality live version of stinkfist (extended), and how amazing triad would be. maybe the way that Rage did it would work for them. it would show how the band communicates to one another. they just wouldn't have a cameraman walking up to each member like they kept doing to tom morello. and......i kinda lost my train of though
Old 11-19-2002, 10:46 PM   #16
meh.

Bincount™: 1074
Re: Band doesnt support bootlegs

Quote:
I have read many interveiws in which maynard states "our music is not yours to give". [...]
That quote is grossly out of context. Maynard was referring to the fact that APC's introduction of "Vacant" to their setlist on 01.31.2001 was online in a few short hours and cited that as a reason why Lateralus was so tightly guarded before it's release.

The article you quoted can be found at http://toolshed.down.net/articles/te....jun.2001.html

Maynard has very specifically stated that he has no problem with trading live recordings for free or for the cost of media and shipping. He has very clearly stated, as would be expected, that he vehemently dislikes people who make money on their recordings.

Here's an IRC log snippet from toolarmy, since I know you'll ask where I got the above paragraph from:

<XenThral> Maynard, do you support bootlegs?
<maynard> no
<XenThral> maynard why?
<maynard> assholes who sell bootlegs for 30-60 bucks dont care about quality
<maynard> and they make all the money
<Taliesin> what about fans just trading for free/cost of tape?
<maynard> that's fine

Now if we could get this thread back to the topic at hand (Cold and Ugly), I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'll have to lock this thread due to getting off-topic. The "Interact" section of these forums will be online soon and is a much more suitable venue for these discussions.

Thanks.
Chris Brightwell // moderator

Last edited by Chris_Brightwell; 11-19-2002 at 10:49 PM..
Old 11-20-2002, 12:01 AM   #17
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2924
I saw Cold & Ugly on 10-18 in Kalamazoo......also the 2nd night they did Third Eye. It was kinda nice because C&U got most of the moshers to get it out of their system early. People were still debating whether Third Eye was actually played the night before so it was a total suprise for it to be true. C&U is a good opener......better than Sober in my opinion. Intolerance or Undertow would kinda set that same tone too..
Old 11-20-2002, 05:01 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by kappacg14
by the way, have they been playing the Cold & Ugly Intro lately (when they play C&U)?
the intor played at the OK City show was an intro i have never heard started with the intro that lead me to believe the were actually going to start with the cover of no quarter then they began to go into cold and ugly and yes i do realize it would be "wrong" to start your own concert with a cover instead of one of your own songs but part of this is due to my rather large craving to hear no quarter ( it so bad if i try hard enough i can trick myself into thinking every song intro sounds like it, and yes that is just me exagerating but...)
Old 11-20-2002, 06:02 AM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Sorry, but to bring this back off topic for a second,

I would love a live DVD! The best twould be if they had a camera focused on each band member, and one on the whole band, and you could switch angles between them. The only problem with this is that you can only have a fifth of the normal amount of songs.

now to bring it back,

Cold and Ugly is my favorite don't-think-and-thrash-about Tool song. It kicks serious arse. It has so much energy, and I'd imagine it to go nuts live.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:29 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'd love to see a live DVD. Mudvayne did a particularly good job with theirs.

All Tool would have to do, seriously, is setup the camera so that you can see the whole stage, including the video screen. Everything else would take care of itself.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:11 PM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

possible live dvd

not to get side-tracked from what this site was intended...but you guys must keep in mind that this is tool we're talking about. they are amazing artists. if they were to release a live dvd it would be done in the tool way. we're not talking about all you can eat nickelback here folks. these guys have been making great art for over ten years...trust them
Old 11-20-2002, 11:17 PM   #22
dan
tool fan

Bincount™: 33962
i would agree, for the most part, with chewy; trust tool, they know what they're doing.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:50 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Well, they know what they're doing when it comes to directing a stop motion video, but collating a live show is quite a different thing.

Though I do trust them.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:21 PM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

C & U: Oct. 13

they opened with C & U Oc. 13, in Colorado Springs. After that they went straight into Commando(ramones cover). It was incredible. I dont recall anything from Undertow that show, either. AEnima got the most non-lateralus attention, with 46&2, Stinkfist, (-) ions, and Aenema. Overall a great show, and much better than the July 21 show in Denver.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:51 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

Cold and Ugly

Tool played Fresno, Ca Nov 22nd and opened with Cold and Ugly. I like that they are playing some older stuff. The show was awesome.....I saw them in Bakersfield over the summer and this show was far better. The only show I have is from ths past summer tour in Baltimore, and another one before Tool got big playing in a bar in PA.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:55 AM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

if u know what the "Tool hub" is .. which im hoping most of u do... u can find cold and ugly live there.. pretty much the montreal version..
hope this doesnt get me banned.. as maynard says its fine :D
Old 11-25-2002, 04:49 AM   #27
i am jack's shattered dreams (tdn $upporter)

i got to see cold and ugly when they played Erie,Pa...it of course was amazing

it was funny cause all the people around me seemed to be new fans and were expecting to hear The Grudge first because that what they've been doing a lot...but when they busted into Cold and Ugly, they didnt know what was going on....i had a couple people ask me what song it was...which i thought was ammusing, but understandable at the same time

"some people don't even think i'm a robot, they think im puerto rican and just really good at math."- Sad Bot
Old 11-26-2002, 12:06 AM   #28
Level 2 - Poster

i got to see them open with cold and ugly on october 19th, in erie and it was awesome.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:14 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Live DVD

As great as a live DVD would be, I wouldn't want the members of the band to use all of their time that they could be using to practise new songs on making it. So....I think it would be nice if they could get some amazing director to do it...Somebody like David Lynch would suite the Tool style very well. Also Jonathan Glazer could be nice but perhaps not the best choice for Tool....
I also feel that it would be the best if it were to be filmed from the soundbox, showing the whole stage, and nothing more done to it, but Tool never seems to do anything the simplest and easiest way...but it would be nice and raw....
Old 12-12-2002, 05:38 PM   #30

Bincount™: 3
:(

I also was at the Amherst MA show, so i missed did not get to hear cold and ugly OR third eye (which i would LOVE to hear)... not to complain about anything tool plays, but ive now seen Sober 5 times this year and AEnema 4 times..still goodto hear though.. o well.... one thing that did piss me off EVERYONE IN OUR SECTIONS SAT DOWN FOR THE WHOLE SHOW...... i get very "into" my tool shows (not in a moshing way, just kinda moving to the music way) and it really disturbed me that me and my friends were the only ones standing up....o well again.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:45 PM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

Re: Anyone seen C&U on the current tour?

i saw cold & ugly at the fresno show in 02 they opened with it it was awsome. when i was there maynard asked the audience to turn of there cell phones cuz there were recording for a live dvd that was guna be released. thats what he said.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:20 PM   #32
Level 8 - Vociferous

Re: Anyone seen C&U on the current tour?

l saw Cold and Ugly at the San Antonio show last year...perfect.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: