Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
04-29-2006, 06:44 PM

Rosetta Stone - egyptian decoder thingy

Stone - a rock

Stoned - wasted or attacked by people throwing rocks

Rose - a flower

etta - rymes with feta (cheese)

Anyone know where the title comes from, or what its significance is to the song?
Old 04-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6
Title of the song

Rosetta Stone - egyptian decoder thingy

Stone - a rock

Stoned - wasted or attacked by people throwing rocks

Rose - a flower

etta - rymes with feta (cheese)

Anyone know where the title comes from, or what its significance is to the song?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
tempathy's Avatar tempathy
04-29-2006, 09:41 PM

seems as though the teller is attempting to decipher a message he experienced, more or less, while on a trip.. hence rosetta stoned. it's literal in 2 meanings.imo.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 17
Re: Title of the song

seems as though the teller is attempting to decipher a message he experienced, more or less, while on a trip.. hence rosetta stoned. it's literal in 2 meanings.imo.
04-29-2006, 09:46 PM

he couldnt translate the message..... he didnt have a pen... there you go! end thread. plus he was stoned (LSD)
Old 04-29-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1657

he couldnt translate the message..... he didnt have a pen... there you go! end thread. plus he was stoned (LSD)
Freakboy2k
05-01-2006, 11:34 PM

The Rosetta Stone was a stone that had the same text written in 3 different languages. I can't rememebr which 3, I think one of them was egyptian... but back on topic.

I'm still not sure what connection to the Rosetta stone is, I'm still working on it. I'm thinking its got something to do with the fact that the guy was given a message. Maybe the LSD is the rosetta stone, in that it allowed him to communicate with this "ET" he talked about, allowing him to receive the message?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

The Rosetta Stone was a stone that had the same text written in 3 different languages. I can't rememebr which 3, I think one of them was egyptian... but back on topic.

I'm still not sure what connection to the Rosetta stone is, I'm still working on it. I'm thinking its got something to do with the fact that the guy was given a message. Maybe the LSD is the rosetta stone, in that it allowed him to communicate with this "ET" he talked about, allowing him to receive the message?
praefector's Avatar praefector
05-01-2006, 11:38 PM

i believe there was also a story posted here somewhere about a woman named Rosetta who was stoned to death a long time ago...
Old 05-01-2006, 11:38 PM   #5
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

i believe there was also a story posted here somewhere about a woman named Rosetta who was stoned to death a long time ago...
renegade46n2's Avatar renegade46n2
05-02-2006, 09:29 AM

I think they just liked the way it sounded. I do.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 326

I think they just liked the way it sounded. I do.
Boom Boom's Avatar Boom Boom
05-02-2006, 12:40 PM

The message has been given to the guy by the aliens. But the guy is stoned. He is like a stoned rosetta. Rosetta Stone(d)
Old 05-02-2006, 12:40 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

The message has been given to the guy by the aliens. But the guy is stoned. He is like a stoned rosetta. Rosetta Stone(d)
m4yn4rd's Avatar m4yn4rd
05-02-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakboy2k
I like where you're going with this... it's a logical point; the rosetta stone was meant so people could translate languages and deciefer messages in other languages. Definitley plausable.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #8

Bincount™: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakboy2k
I like where you're going with this... it's a logical point; the rosetta stone was meant so people could translate languages and deciefer messages in other languages. Definitley plausable.
Dr. Jake Destructo's Avatar Dr. Jake Destructo
05-02-2006, 08:19 PM

LSD =/= stoned, but I suppose that in the context of this song, Maynard had to make it fit. It seems silly that after all of these intimate writings about drugs(or what could be taken as such) Maynard would go and write a song about acid in such an immature way.

Granted, I love the song already, but it still strikes me as odd.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:19 PM   #9
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

LSD =/= stoned, but I suppose that in the context of this song, Maynard had to make it fit. It seems silly that after all of these intimate writings about drugs(or what could be taken as such) Maynard would go and write a song about acid in such an immature way.

Granted, I love the song already, but it still strikes me as odd.
_colin_
05-03-2006, 01:16 PM

in my opinion it has to do something with the Rosetta Stone witch was used to decipher hieroglyphics and the person feels like he was the stone and he was suppose to be used to tell what the aliens or whatever where telling him but he forgot just my opinion
Old 05-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

in my opinion it has to do something with the Rosetta Stone witch was used to decipher hieroglyphics and the person feels like he was the stone and he was suppose to be used to tell what the aliens or whatever where telling him but he forgot just my opinion
rtisovec
05-03-2006, 05:48 PM

Rosetta stoned makes sense, becuase the Rosetta stone was used o decode or decipher the other languages. Stoned, being the drug trip. This song relates to someone coming out of a trip and trying to get all the info down before they lose it, as if they experienced something so important, that if they don't write down every nuance and go back over it, will somehow miss out on something very important, Forgot my pen=will I remember it when I return to my nondrugged state.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Rosetta stoned makes sense, becuase the Rosetta stone was used o decode or decipher the other languages. Stoned, being the drug trip. This song relates to someone coming out of a trip and trying to get all the info down before they lose it, as if they experienced something so important, that if they don't write down every nuance and go back over it, will somehow miss out on something very important, Forgot my pen=will I remember it when I return to my nondrugged state.
The Dark Jester's Avatar The Dark Jester
05-03-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _colin_
the person feels like he was the stone
This is correct, as said before the Rosetta Stone is a huge stone with Egyptian heiroglyphics, a common "vulgar" Egyptian, and Greek, written on it. This stone and others were used to decipher heiroglyphics. The song is called Rosetta Stoned because the person speaking IS the stone, he's the go between for the aliens and the rest of the human race. I think they added the -ed because it can be inferred (especially in Lost Keys(Blame Hofmann)) that the person may have been tripping on LSD. So then the question becomes did he really have an experience with aliens or was he simply tripping form the drugs? Thats why the -ed is added, to make you question whether he is a real life Rosetta Stone or if he was simply...stoned.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _colin_
the person feels like he was the stone
This is correct, as said before the Rosetta Stone is a huge stone with Egyptian heiroglyphics, a common "vulgar" Egyptian, and Greek, written on it. This stone and others were used to decipher heiroglyphics. The song is called Rosetta Stoned because the person speaking IS the stone, he's the go between for the aliens and the rest of the human race. I think they added the -ed because it can be inferred (especially in Lost Keys(Blame Hofmann)) that the person may have been tripping on LSD. So then the question becomes did he really have an experience with aliens or was he simply tripping form the drugs? Thats why the -ed is added, to make you question whether he is a real life Rosetta Stone or if he was simply...stoned.
05-03-2006, 07:32 PM

my theory is that that the guy isnt tripping, but they think he is. the nurse is blaming hoffman (acid) for this crazy dude. it does sound like hes tripping though...

he was bombarded with divine knowledge that he wasnt ready for. sitting there, minding his buisness, eating some doughnuts. probly baked, maybe on acid, but for a guy like this its normal. then the sky rips open. if you are experienced with LSD, you would know this sort of thing doesnt happen. so hes told what he needs to do. since marijuana impares the short term memory, and he "shit the bed" when he left his pen at home, the message is lost. he was stoned (like the rock thrown at you) by the knowledge, and the truth. it sounds like he wears birkenstocks, so hes gotta be a hippie. when he tells people the story, they just think hes stoned (like he smoked a fatty) or had a bad trip or something.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #13
crashed my spaceship (tdn $upporter)
Suicide Booth ID: 10

Bincount™: 10062

my theory is that that the guy isnt tripping, but they think he is. the nurse is blaming hoffman (acid) for this crazy dude. it does sound like hes tripping though...

he was bombarded with divine knowledge that he wasnt ready for. sitting there, minding his buisness, eating some doughnuts. probly baked, maybe on acid, but for a guy like this its normal. then the sky rips open. if you are experienced with LSD, you would know this sort of thing doesnt happen. so hes told what he needs to do. since marijuana impares the short term memory, and he "shit the bed" when he left his pen at home, the message is lost. he was stoned (like the rock thrown at you) by the knowledge, and the truth. it sounds like he wears birkenstocks, so hes gotta be a hippie. when he tells people the story, they just think hes stoned (like he smoked a fatty) or had a bad trip or something.
05-03-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydog420

If its devine knowledge wouldnt it make more sense that its coming from angels, rather than aliens?

[in union breathe in union]
Old 05-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydog420

If its devine knowledge wouldnt it make more sense that its coming from angels, rather than aliens?

[in union breathe in union]
Elgyn's Avatar Elgyn
05-03-2006, 09:25 PM

This is just some random weird shit that I noticed. I haven't read through every thread to know if it's been mentioned but... whatever... There was a tool tribute album released in 2002, and a band called Rosetta Stone covered 4 Degrees. Pretty weird. Tool must have been aware of it.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318

This is just some random weird shit that I noticed. I haven't read through every thread to know if it's been mentioned but... whatever... There was a tool tribute album released in 2002, and a band called Rosetta Stone covered 4 Degrees. Pretty weird. Tool must have been aware of it.
05-04-2006, 01:25 AM

You know Blair touched on this in one of the newsletters on toolband but i can't recall the whole story behind it right now cause im too lazy so someone else should look that up. For me.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:25 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

You know Blair touched on this in one of the newsletters on toolband but i can't recall the whole story behind it right now cause im too lazy so someone else should look that up. For me.
Bakeup's Avatar Bakeup
05-05-2006, 06:30 AM

Follow the link below, and you will know the "'terrible' secret that one of the songs on the new album speaks of."

http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2006_03.php
Old 05-05-2006, 06:30 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Follow the link below, and you will know the "'terrible' secret that one of the songs on the new album speaks of."

http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2006_03.php
05-05-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempathy
agreed on all accounts
Old 05-05-2006, 07:38 AM   #18
win
Alive With Signs and Stars

Bincount™: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempathy
agreed on all accounts

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply