opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 13. Faaip de Oiad
User Name
Password
Old 11-20-2002, 01:51 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 21
wow

What a cryptic ending to Lateralus! The album seems to be focused a lot on healing. Maybe, if at the end of Lateralus, you still aren't appreciative and thankful for your life, you'll hear this and think "well, it could be worse....at least i'm not this guy." Unfortunately, I have not a clue as to why the track translates to "The voice of God"......any thoughts on that would certainly be interesting to read
Old 11-20-2002, 03:44 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
The voice of god, it COULD be taken two ways, example 1. This man has been calling, all surrounded by mystery, much like god in some cultures. This could also be taken another way, as in God is telling us to give us a wake-up call that we are not alone. Please take this with a grain of salt, for i come up with much of my findings on walks, and i forget easily

Jojo
Old 11-20-2002, 04:25 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: wow

Even though I'm not a big believer in things like this, heres a theory for you:

It's been posited that alien life forms built things like the sphinx in Egypt, and began the oral/written traditions of some ancient civilizations. In fact, it's been hpothesized that Thoth, the ancient Egyptian god of knowledge (we was the bringer of written word) was indeed an alien. Again, even though I don't believe this stuff, Faap de Oiad translating from Dee's Enochian to "Voice of God" makes sense in the context of aliens coming to "get us".

Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko
What a cryptic ending to Lateralus! The album seems to be focused a lot on healing. Maybe, if at the end of Lateralus, you still aren't appreciative and thankful for your life, you'll hear this and think "well, it could be worse....at least i'm not this guy." Unfortunately, I have not a clue as to why the track translates to "The voice of God"......any thoughts on that would certainly be interesting to read
Old 11-20-2002, 04:51 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

or it could be just a comic ending to such a great album...
they've done it before.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:38 AM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 181
Wasnt it taken from Art Bell's radio show[i dunno, im in aus], and that after the guy aws talking, the stations lost all power. Anyway, it was reported that the guy rang back telling them it was a hoax. Maybe [this is a maybe] tool put it on there to see how many people were fooled into taking it seriously. i dunno.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:30 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

You're right Loki...

It was a call to the Art Bell Show, and the station (and several other I think?) lost power...However, the same guy supposedly claimed later on that it was a hoax...

Yet another mysterious factor in the whole "Area 51 bit".
Old 11-21-2002, 04:13 PM   #7
Human

Bincount™: 2
W.o.W

dont know where, but i read this was an extract from the War Of the Worlds
anyway, the alien factor is purely metaphorical. focus more on what it represents, than in what it saids. the whole lateralus experience ends with the listening of God´s Voice, yet when we hear it, it confuses us, saying nonsenses, and finishing in the middle of the statement
(or maybe its just a joke and we are overanalyzing pretty pretty much)
Old 11-22-2002, 04:35 PM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 217
i think we are all over analyzing this to much, i doubt if Tool will tell us what it meant in the near future, so you shouldn't care this much about what the song meant, you only have guesses, and no one really knows the real answers except tool....

or i could be wrong, whatever works for you is best
Old 11-23-2002, 10:34 AM   #9

I think that you can do nothing but overanalyze it, even by analyzing it.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:13 AM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

think for yourself, question authority

I think it was meant to be analyzed. Why just include something totally random with no point? They could put anything on the end of this album. Yes, that anything could be random. However, the band Tool has a message. Also, I can't imagine Maynard or anyone else in the band passing up a chance to be clever. This is what I think.

1. Faaip De Oaid = The Voice of God
2. The track is basically senseless noise, with a man rambling about aliens in the background.
3. The message of tool is "think for yourself"

I think Tool is making a direct comparison between the reasoning involved when discussing God and Aliens. When people claim to hear "The Voice of God", basically they are saying they heard something that no one else heard. How do you prove to someone you heard the voice of God? You really can't. You get all excited, but you just end up sounding like a rambling moron. The same can be said for this man and his "aliens". He is rambling. He does provide a story that makes it sound realistic, but he provides no evidence of their existence. This is exactly what people sound like when they claim to have heard the "voice of god".

I think it is another humorous way for Tool to tell us to think for ourselves. Just because Tool puts this on their album, do you really think they believe it? Do you think you should consider aliens more now than you did before, just because Tool included this rambling man on their final track? Is there any evidence here, or is it just complete bullshit? Would you even think twice about this guy if he wasn't on a tool album? Admittedly he is totally insane and "sounds" convincing. So what, I have heard a million insane religious ramblers in my day. Anyway, wasn't this radio caller proven to be a hoax?

So basically, this guy heard "the voice of god" and now he is telling you about it with no evidence. Are you going to just jump on the bandwagon or are you going to question him? What about if he is on a Tool album? What do you do then?

Just my thoughts. What do you think?

oh...I also think that Danny was having a good time on drums and his new synths.

Last edited by akinoyugure; 11-25-2002 at 04:26 AM..
Old 11-26-2002, 08:09 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

yea, i think the message is pretty basic. just that simple phrase we all know and love: "think for yourself, question auhtority". no need to do <I>too</I> much analyzing about it.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:27 AM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

JESUS WAS AN ALIEN

A friend of mine has several books about theories of Jesus being an alien, his "father" was the mother ship, "heaven" the home planet, etc. Makes me laugh when I hear Oiad.

Who knows what they meant by this, great ideas though. I know if I was in tool and came across this crazy sample, I would find a way to put it in something I did no matter what I believed. I prefer the conspiracy theories though, more fun, hehe.
Old 11-27-2002, 05:32 PM   #13
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 75
I've been doing "research" - as you could say - on the whole Planet X/Nibius (sp?) thing. Well, what would you know that one website about the whole Planet X deal had this phone conversation in it. Apparently, the person claims that this phone call (the one used for Faaip de Oiad) has some relationship with Planet X.

Here's a "brief" explanation: As you may, or may not know, Planet X is the mysterious "brown dwarf" star that revolves around the sun approximately 1,000 years. It's mass is so large that it has the ability to create a pole shift in a planet (namely earth) and supposedly make the planet spin the other way around, as if following Planet X.

Well, apparently from the source I read, this could create all sorts of catastrophes. It's fairly easy to research, just go to a search engine and look up "Planet X" and you'll find a bunch of websites dedicated to the supposed planet.

But anyway, about the song... supposedly this man from the Art Bell show phoned in because of Planet X? I don't know, but with all the stuff that Tool's been talking about Planet X, the shelter, and now that I think about this track...hm..makes me think more.

...but I'm a firm believer that this is all false. But hey, if I'm wrong, won't I be one upset person when I find myself flying off the planet because it stopped - or if the world is flooded (save for like one-third of eastern Australia). Just do the research yourself on Planet X, you'll probably stumble across the phone conversation used in "Faaip de Oiad".

- Cheers, the bringer of basses
Old 11-27-2002, 06:57 PM   #14
Banned.

Bincount™: 16
planet x

this is drifting away from the discussion about the song but tool supposedly thinks the world will end in 2003 because of a polar shift. My friend told me about this and said you could go to www.zetatalk.com if u want to now more about it. It sounds to me that planet x and that web site are connected.
Old 11-29-2002, 03:16 PM   #15
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 217
Re: think for yourself, question authority

Quote:
Originally posted by akinoyugure
I think it was meant to be analyzed. Why just include something totally random with no point? They could put anything on the end of this album. Yes, that anything could be random. However, the band Tool has a message. Also, I can't imagine Maynard or anyone else in the band passing up a chance to be clever. This is what I think.

1. Faaip De Oaid = The Voice of God
2. The track is basically senseless noise, with a man rambling about aliens in the background.
3. The message of tool is "think for yourself"

I think Tool is making a direct comparison between the reasoning involved when discussing God and Aliens. When people claim to hear "The Voice of God", basically they are saying they heard something that no one else heard. How do you prove to someone you heard the voice of God? You really can't. You get all excited, but you just end up sounding like a rambling moron. The same can be said for this man and his "aliens". He is rambling. He does provide a story that makes it sound realistic, but he provides no evidence of their existence. This is exactly what people sound like when they claim to have heard the "voice of god".

I think it is another humorous way for Tool to tell us to think for ourselves. Just because Tool puts this on their album, do you really think they believe it? Do you think you should consider aliens more now than you did before, just because Tool included this rambling man on their final track? Is there any evidence here, or is it just complete bullshit? Would you even think twice about this guy if he wasn't on a tool album? Admittedly he is totally insane and "sounds" convincing. So what, I have heard a million insane religious ramblers in my day. Anyway, wasn't this radio caller proven to be a hoax?

So basically, this guy heard "the voice of god" and now he is telling you about it with no evidence. Are you going to just jump on the bandwagon or are you going to question him? What about if he is on a Tool album? What do you do then?

Just my thoughts. What do you think?
i am just going to add on to that little part about no evidence, you could say the exact thing about religion(which i am no part of) when was there ever any proof that god exsists, there wont ever be any proof either, every civilization has had different beleifs, some have had tens of gods, the current way seems to have only one "god", there is nothing that really sets this beleif away from any others, its just that right now, the main cult is christianity, maybe in 1000 years we will all be worshiping pig testicles, so maybe just like there isnt any proof about this guy, their trying to say the same thing about religion...
Old 12-18-2002, 07:37 PM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

what?

I went to that zetatalk.com site and found a bunch of jibberish and names that I didnt understand. Honestly, if the earth was going to shift and flood a mere 5 months from now, dont you think that more people would be talking about it. like...... the news??!! Yeah, if they made such a big deal about y2k and our supposed "mass chaos" that was going to happen then (what a joke) you would think they would be going nuts about this. it is nothing more than a rumor, it may be fun to believe, but it is not acully going to happen.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:47 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by Brock
or it could be just a comic ending to such a great album...
they've done it before.
Brock is right, remember who were dealing with. TOOL LOVES to fuck with people. Media, fans, it doesn't matter. They've got a sense of humor, and it's reflected on every album quite well. It's just a fun way to end the album, and reflects the bands interest in the Occult and aliens.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:13 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5
Re: what?

Quote:
Originally posted by xx lateralus xx
Honestly, if the earth was going to shift and flood a mere 5 months from now, dont you think that more people would be talking about it. like...... the news??!!
Why? So people would all panic and start acting crazy?
And if some of the stuff I've been reading is correct, there are certain people and "organisations" who don't want everyone to know about Nibiru's re-entering of our solar system. Then again, it could all be a bunch of crap to keep us all occupied. ;)
Old 01-19-2004, 04:22 PM   #19

Re: think for yourself, question authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinoyugure

oh...I also think that Danny was having a good time on drums and his new synths.
Just a little something for you on that : Danny said in an interview that he was messing around one night in his studio, and his synth just went nuts, and started making noises that he had prerecorded onto his Sonor drum heads. It really freaked him out, he said, and he just started recording the stuff that his synth was playing. That's how Faaip De Oiad's "music" came about.

A truly great mind is one that thinks for itself.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Flavour
It's just a fun way to end the album, and reflects the bands interest in the Occult and aliens.

Think about it this way :occult means hidden...if, as you say, they are interested in the occult and aliens, wouldn't occult just sum it up?

A truly great mind is one that thinks for itself.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:07 AM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringerofbasses
or if the world is flooded (save for like one-third of eastern Australia).
Which third exactly? :-)

Concerned or releived,

Alex (Al-Co.) Downs
Old 05-19-2004, 11:02 PM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

alians its about someone haveing an ancounter with alians.....
Old 06-18-2004, 09:09 PM   #23
Banned.

Bincount™: 5

i also believe that this song is meant to make you think for yourself. Tool implants many subliminal messages that are well thought out, planned beyond belief, and even matematically timed. (fibinachi sequence; spelling?) It is possible even if it was intended to just create a bit of unrest and make you second guess what the government (authority) is telling you and wonder of it is the truth. This will aid the process of thinking "outside the box" you know, "drawn beyond the lines of reason, push the envelope and watch it bend, overthinking, overanalyzing, seperate the body from the mind..." read between the lines people. Tool is a manual for the mind.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: