Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 01. Vicarious
User Name
Password
benchedpatience
08-04-2009, 10:56 PM

aside from the passive zombie state of most people in this country, and how we as animals feel accomplished in our own survivability, by watching and feeding off of the tragedies of others, i think there's more to it, especially in light of lateralus. that album is about bringing consciousness to a peaceful state, for the sake of oneself and those around them, most importantly maintaining openness to random change and embracing the relative gray-scale world we live in. they left off with the two last songs which go into: 1) Reflection: to crucify the ego, before we pine away 2) Disposition: the ability to have anything come at you ("say anything to me") and simply "watch the weather change," rather than be swayed by desires into forming new, unnecessary grudges and attachments. so this song could be about having to come to terms with how far the majority of the world really is from waking up to see themselves, and learning how to see beauty, simply from within a mind state.

the following theory makes out to be more of a spiral, than a logical step by step process, as it tends to come back around full circle, as well as overlap itself.

there's a concept in a general psychology class i took, called projection. one person projects a part of themselves that they don't like, on to another person, as if they are innocent of this attribute. it is something they keep hidden from themselves, looking for distractions to avoid coming to terms with their actual feelings. if someone projects a "negative" (i quote it because negative is a relative term) part of themselves on to me, they do it with the hopeful intention of being able to watch it cause me to die. they'll wait for the evidence to come back from the experiment they so precariously set up, hoping for vicarious returns. considering i do actually swallow this person's projection whole, they'll wait for it to kill me, so that therefore, they can finally have some proof to look at that shows that the projected part of them truly is self-defeating. only with witnessing my death, "from a good safe distance," does this person feel they can pool out the motive to change it within themselves, vicariously living while i die. this person is a "carnivore", feeding off my meaty, rotting existence. they are an animal, an ape, unaware of the human ability to find peace and balance within oneself, without leaving a wake of destruction in your path. the following lyrics reflect my description of this kind of behavior.

Part vampire, part warrior,
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal.
Sing to the death rattle.

La, la, la, la, la, la, la-lie (x4)

only i am not so foolish to accept this kind of projection, although i guess i'm just one of the lucky ones, and i think the members of tool are as well. If i were someone else, someone weaker, and more impressionable for this person, this ploy might have worked. but i will battle these people, as i have, and am getting better at, for the sake of some kind of honest, balanced existence for mankind. what are my tools for battle? my insight, willingness to drop attachments, reason, patience, tamed ego, awareness, eyes for beauty, and most especially, words, which i have developed for the main purpose of communicating towards these kinds of monkey actions. usually when i hit someone square in the mind, in response to their belligerent projection, they don't want to think about. they start looking for distractions from their issue, out of fear. they're still back at "Sober," wanting to stay asleep forever, to stay dead forever, until one day they're really dead, never having seen the light at the end of the tunnel. what can you do with this perfect sighting of human sheepishness, except vicariously confirm the more conscious path. "much better you than i."

Credulous at best
Your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men.
But pull your head on out (of) your hippie haze
And give a listen
Shouldn't have to say it all again

The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive
So it is, so it's always been ...

We all feed on tragedy.
It's like blood to a vampire.

Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies
Much better you than I.

perhaps it is the ignorance of self, rationalized by the ego, and the uncertain existential crisis that comes with this, that inspires the monkeys to stare into the tv, waiting for blood. they've reached an animalistic level of consciousness, only using it to confirm their ability to survive by witnessing the deaths of others.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Ignorance of self

aside from the passive zombie state of most people in this country, and how we as animals feel accomplished in our own survivability, by watching and feeding off of the tragedies of others, i think there's more to it, especially in light of lateralus. that album is about bringing consciousness to a peaceful state, for the sake of oneself and those around them, most importantly maintaining openness to random change and embracing the relative gray-scale world we live in. they left off with the two last songs which go into: 1) Reflection: to crucify the ego, before we pine away 2) Disposition: the ability to have anything come at you ("say anything to me") and simply "watch the weather change," rather than be swayed by desires into forming new, unnecessary grudges and attachments. so this song could be about having to come to terms with how far the majority of the world really is from waking up to see themselves, and learning how to see beauty, simply from within a mind state.

the following theory makes out to be more of a spiral, than a logical step by step process, as it tends to come back around full circle, as well as overlap itself.

there's a concept in a general psychology class i took, called projection. one person projects a part of themselves that they don't like, on to another person, as if they are innocent of this attribute. it is something they keep hidden from themselves, looking for distractions to avoid coming to terms with their actual feelings. if someone projects a "negative" (i quote it because negative is a relative term) part of themselves on to me, they do it with the hopeful intention of being able to watch it cause me to die. they'll wait for the evidence to come back from the experiment they so precariously set up, hoping for vicarious returns. considering i do actually swallow this person's projection whole, they'll wait for it to kill me, so that therefore, they can finally have some proof to look at that shows that the projected part of them truly is self-defeating. only with witnessing my death, "from a good safe distance," does this person feel they can pool out the motive to change it within themselves, vicariously living while i die. this person is a "carnivore", feeding off my meaty, rotting existence. they are an animal, an ape, unaware of the human ability to find peace and balance within oneself, without leaving a wake of destruction in your path. the following lyrics reflect my description of this kind of behavior.

Part vampire, part warrior,
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal.
Sing to the death rattle.

La, la, la, la, la, la, la-lie (x4)

only i am not so foolish to accept this kind of projection, although i guess i'm just one of the lucky ones, and i think the members of tool are as well. If i were someone else, someone weaker, and more impressionable for this person, this ploy might have worked. but i will battle these people, as i have, and am getting better at, for the sake of some kind of honest, balanced existence for mankind. what are my tools for battle? my insight, willingness to drop attachments, reason, patience, tamed ego, awareness, eyes for beauty, and most especially, words, which i have developed for the main purpose of communicating towards these kinds of monkey actions. usually when i hit someone square in the mind, in response to their belligerent projection, they don't want to think about. they start looking for distractions from their issue, out of fear. they're still back at "Sober," wanting to stay asleep forever, to stay dead forever, until one day they're really dead, never having seen the light at the end of the tunnel. what can you do with this perfect sighting of human sheepishness, except vicariously confirm the more conscious path. "much better you than i."

Credulous at best
Your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men.
But pull your head on out (of) your hippie haze
And give a listen
Shouldn't have to say it all again

The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive
So it is, so it's always been ...

We all feed on tragedy.
It's like blood to a vampire.

Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies
Much better you than I.

perhaps it is the ignorance of self, rationalized by the ego, and the uncertain existential crisis that comes with this, that inspires the monkeys to stare into the tv, waiting for blood. they've reached an animalistic level of consciousness, only using it to confirm their ability to survive by witnessing the deaths of others.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
benchedpatience
08-05-2009, 10:18 AM

should prolly throw this in the video section, but right now, im the only one who occupies this thread, and this is just an extension for proof of my previous thoughts:

the video also pulls from the concepts of reflection, ego, and dissecting the self in the search for inner truth. once the mirrors face the human in the video, he can no longer avoid seeing himself. his reflection is now an obstacle in the way of being able to stare at the obviously dark, gloomy, and apocalyptic surroundings ("stare at the transmittal"). and what does he see in the mirror? multiple reflections of himself. we see one of those parts having materialized next to him, and collapse in a fit of death, because that's the PART OF HIMSELF that really needs to die, instead of just feeding off of the death around him. what comes after this? new life. the fetal growth within the skull of the deceased. an awakening so to speak. the red snake eye gets to take a tour of the web of interconnected being, seeing the reality and wide expanse of life ("hostile and impersonal universe"), only to return back to the being, and finally witness the death and destruction from this new perspective. before the previous scenes, he would have fed off of the death, in turn feeding his own self-destructive unconsciousness. but even with all the death, he has his own piece of mind, that touches and enlightens, defying the confines of space, time, and dimension, unwavered and living eternally, even in within the scope of natural mortality. "all this pain is an illusion." then as we see the flaming eye hidden in the clouds, as we pan out from earth. this is a metaphor for the massive scale in which this cycle is taking place on this planet. if the band, especially adam jones in this case, wanted to just hover it over iraq because this was only about war, they would have done so. same for afghanistan, darfur, or any other country we as a country of power are feeding to the cycle of suffering. but this vicious feeding frenzy takes place in war, politics, the media, human relationships, and even natural disasters. aware of this cycle, and understanding the fallacy behind it, it can't touch you. vicariously, you live while the whole world dies.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Ignorance of self

should prolly throw this in the video section, but right now, im the only one who occupies this thread, and this is just an extension for proof of my previous thoughts:

the video also pulls from the concepts of reflection, ego, and dissecting the self in the search for inner truth. once the mirrors face the human in the video, he can no longer avoid seeing himself. his reflection is now an obstacle in the way of being able to stare at the obviously dark, gloomy, and apocalyptic surroundings ("stare at the transmittal"). and what does he see in the mirror? multiple reflections of himself. we see one of those parts having materialized next to him, and collapse in a fit of death, because that's the PART OF HIMSELF that really needs to die, instead of just feeding off of the death around him. what comes after this? new life. the fetal growth within the skull of the deceased. an awakening so to speak. the red snake eye gets to take a tour of the web of interconnected being, seeing the reality and wide expanse of life ("hostile and impersonal universe"), only to return back to the being, and finally witness the death and destruction from this new perspective. before the previous scenes, he would have fed off of the death, in turn feeding his own self-destructive unconsciousness. but even with all the death, he has his own piece of mind, that touches and enlightens, defying the confines of space, time, and dimension, unwavered and living eternally, even in within the scope of natural mortality. "all this pain is an illusion." then as we see the flaming eye hidden in the clouds, as we pan out from earth. this is a metaphor for the massive scale in which this cycle is taking place on this planet. if the band, especially adam jones in this case, wanted to just hover it over iraq because this was only about war, they would have done so. same for afghanistan, darfur, or any other country we as a country of power are feeding to the cycle of suffering. but this vicious feeding frenzy takes place in war, politics, the media, human relationships, and even natural disasters. aware of this cycle, and understanding the fallacy behind it, it can't touch you. vicariously, you live while the whole world dies.
08-10-2009, 03:19 PM

Great read. I wonder why none else has replied.

I always thought the first take on vicarious might not be all there is. This gut feeling were even greater when I saw the video.

To your view: how do you see the sentence "much better you than i"?

Last edited by 0.618; 08-11-2009 at 12:30 AM..
Old 08-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #3

Bincount™: 391

I always thought the first take on vicarious might not be all there is. This gut feeling were even greater when I saw the video.

Last edited by 0.618; 08-11-2009 at 12:30 AM..
benchedpatience
08-12-2009, 06:57 PM

that question is quite the heavy one if you're implying that i should use the evidence within my ENTIRE view to bring one single lyric down to semantics for a Tool song... this may take some time. brb with semantically transcribed tool discography! :) rofl.

but i actually do need to kind of pull together and organize the understandings within the whole album, along with those of their past work, since you're asking me about the last line to the first song. the last line here seems to be a transition towards the understanding of hypocrisy that seeps through the album. and sweet beautiful jesus, does that pack an artfully complex punch! you pinpointed a really fucking loaded line in vicarious, 0.618
Old 08-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

that question is quite the heavy one if you're implying that i should use the evidence within my ENTIRE view to bring one single lyric down to semantics for a Tool song... this may take some time. brb with semantically transcribed tool discography! :) rofl.

but i actually do need to kind of pull together and organize the understandings within the whole album, along with those of their past work, since you're asking me about the last line to the first song. the last line here seems to be a transition towards the understanding of hypocrisy that seeps through the album. and sweet beautiful jesus, does that pack an artfully complex punch! you pinpointed a really fucking loaded line in vicarious, 0.618
withSpirit
08-13-2009, 07:19 PM

I will take this even a step further and say that Maynard is talking about himself, or at least he's not exempting himself. His ego projects his faults onto others as well, in an attempt to avoid facing his own imperfections. I don't understand why everyone believes he's such a god. He has a good voice, but he's no better of a person, and he has no fewer human tendencies, than anyone else. I think Maynard acknowledges this in Vicarious. He partakes like the rest of us, and he's not about to deny it or make any excuses for it. Lateralus focused on embracing humanity, and I don't think Maynard has abandoned that. I think he's just embracing, or at least acknowledging, the darker side of it.

The line "in love with the dark side I've found" from Jambi rings a bell. And in fact, that's what I have always believed Jambi is about: Maynard embracing the darker side of his humanity. Re-listen to both Jambi and Vicarious from the perspective I have just outlined, and you will hopefully understand what I'm talking about.

These songs are not a refutation of Lateralus, as many have argued. They are just the other side of the coin.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I will take this even a step further and say that Maynard is talking about himself, or at least he's not exempting himself. His ego projects his faults onto others as well, in an attempt to avoid facing his own imperfections. I don't understand why everyone believes he's such a god. He has a good voice, but he's no better of a person, and he has no fewer human tendencies, than anyone else. I think Maynard acknowledges this in Vicarious. He partakes like the rest of us, and he's not about to deny it or make any excuses for it. Lateralus focused on embracing humanity, and I don't think Maynard has abandoned that. I think he's just embracing, or at least acknowledging, the darker side of it.

The line "in love with the dark side I've found" from Jambi rings a bell. And in fact, that's what I have always believed Jambi is about: Maynard embracing the darker side of his humanity. Re-listen to both Jambi and Vicarious from the perspective I have just outlined, and you will hopefully understand what I'm talking about.

These songs are not a refutation of Lateralus, as many have argued. They are just the other side of the coin.
benchedpatience
08-18-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by withSpirit View Post
and you will hopefully understand what I'm talking about.
I am hopeful that you are not too hopeful of the extent of "Maynard's" embrace towards the darker sides of humanity. If you are, perhaps give Jambi yet another listen my friend. Perhaps you'd rather not be made to realize the ways in which you've become attached to darker sides, which are in fact destructive to those around you by feeding the complex human vicious cycles which keep you in denial due to your complacency ("Damn my eyes if they should comprise the fulcrum."). These instances of evidence of these cycles are within your memory, which is where I think that Tool came in to joke around a bit in Lateralus. The songs Parabol/a plays with the ideas of being hopeful for the future, celebrating the chance to be alive and breathing, yet totally unaware of the reality that came before the present moment. There's nothing wrong with embracing the present moment and celebrating life, but I get the feeling that a lot of New Age monkeys like to simply hold on to the idea of feeling good. It's kind of like masturbating. They lack intention, mindfulness, and reason behind their piece of mind. They only want to feel better than they did before, which allows them to slip into the mistake of being ignorant of the past. In a state of blindness like this, the past holds no hope of serving as guidance for discovery and growth in the future.

For the record, I respond in this way, not out of expectation that you do not understand this, or that you are lacking levels of consciousness. I only respond to this because of the loopholes in your argument that make way for denial in the vast number of people who do quite surely lack consciousness of their own effects on the world around them.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
and you will hopefully understand what I'm talking about.
I am hopeful that you are not too hopeful of the extent of "Maynard's" embrace towards the darker sides of humanity. If you are, perhaps give Jambi yet another listen my friend. Perhaps you'd rather not be made to realize the ways in which you've become attached to darker sides, which are in fact destructive to those around you by feeding the complex human vicious cycles which keep you in denial due to your complacency ("Damn my eyes if they should comprise the fulcrum."). These instances of evidence of these cycles are within your memory, which is where I think that Tool came in to joke around a bit in Lateralus. The songs Parabol/a plays with the ideas of being hopeful for the future, celebrating the chance to be alive and breathing, yet totally unaware of the reality that came before the present moment. There's nothing wrong with embracing the present moment and celebrating life, but I get the feeling that a lot of New Age monkeys like to simply hold on to the idea of feeling good. It's kind of like masturbating. They lack intention, mindfulness, and reason behind their piece of mind. They only want to feel better than they did before, which allows them to slip into the mistake of being ignorant of the past. In a state of blindness like this, the past holds no hope of serving as guidance for discovery and growth in the future.

For the record, I respond in this way, not out of expectation that you do not understand this, or that you are lacking levels of consciousness. I only respond to this because of the loopholes in your argument that make way for denial in the vast number of people who do quite surely lack consciousness of their own effects on the world around them.
benchedpatience
08-19-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisu View Post
I sort of skimmed through most the replies, but I just wanted to point out. It may sound stupid but, oh well.

"You all need it too, don't lie." "We all feed on tragedy"
All. Me, you, Maynard. Everyone. We're all human, we all have vicarious needs, no one is completely above them. Being conscience to them is certainly a step in the right direction, but you're most likely not "there" yet.
I don't doubt that we all have Vicarious "needs." And these "needs" are expressed in extensively interconnected human relationships (which I simply don't have the time to describe to you right now. One relatively simpler example though, related to sexual desire and attraction, is outlined in the songs "The Hollow" and "Magdalena" on A Perfect Circle's Mer de Noms album). But the real question is, are these needs simply an expression of desire and confusion, and in that case transmutable (meaning redirected, not magically made to disappear like I think you assume I'm imposing) through our own human processes which we go through in order to change ourselves? This takes some time to come to, so I definitely understand your caution for me or anyone not being "there" yet. Though, if you doubt that anyone at all is "there," especially the members of Tool, you're expressing ignorance and contradiction of basically the rest of the album, especially the last three songs on 10,000 Days which outline some hope for humanity (I believe Maynard once said that a Tool album is like a movie. You can't just cling cling to the ideas of the first ten minutes. You miss the fucking conclusion and the process that leads up to it.) There's also the intention behind A Perfect Circle's album eMotive. My advice to you is to not skim the two posts before your reply, read them carefully, and be aware of the ways in which you've contradicted them with your reply. Which is totally fine... But if you still disagree after that, at least you have some evidence and quotes to call upon for your argument that's relevant to flow of the thread. I especially welcome questions, as I'm still working on a response to 0.618's question.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I sort of skimmed through most the replies, but I just wanted to point out. It may sound stupid but, oh well.

"You all need it too, don't lie." "We all feed on tragedy"
All. Me, you, Maynard. Everyone. We're all human, we all have vicarious needs, no one is completely above them. Being conscience to them is certainly a step in the right direction, but you're most likely not "there" yet.
I don't doubt that we all have Vicarious "needs." And these "needs" are expressed in extensively interconnected human relationships (which I simply don't have the time to describe to you right now. One relatively simpler example though, related to sexual desire and attraction, is outlined in the songs "The Hollow" and "Magdalena" on A Perfect Circle's Mer de Noms album). But the real question is, are these needs simply an expression of desire and confusion, and in that case transmutable (meaning redirected, not magically made to disappear like I think you assume I'm imposing) through our own human processes which we go through in order to change ourselves? This takes some time to come to, so I definitely understand your caution for me or anyone not being "there" yet. Though, if you doubt that anyone at all is "there," especially the members of Tool, you're expressing ignorance and contradiction of basically the rest of the album, especially the last three songs on 10,000 Days which outline some hope for humanity (I believe Maynard once said that a Tool album is like a movie. You can't just cling cling to the ideas of the first ten minutes. You miss the fucking conclusion and the process that leads up to it.) There's also the intention behind A Perfect Circle's album eMotive. My advice to you is to not skim the two posts before your reply, read them carefully, and be aware of the ways in which you've contradicted them with your reply. Which is totally fine... But if you still disagree after that, at least you have some evidence and quotes to call upon for your argument that's relevant to flow of the thread. I especially welcome questions, as I'm still working on a response to 0.618's question.
benchedpatience
08-20-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
[...] but for right now I'll just start by saying, I agree, no one is "there" [...]

[...] I have a feeling I'm gonna look back at this post and laugh at myself.
Yes, you will probably laugh at yourself. And so it is. I'm a tool, you're a tool, and you contradicted your own ability to reason, because if you paid attention (I understand that you admitted you weren't paying attention, in the beginning of your message, but still man, come on. You're on a Tool forum), there was clearly no agreement between us on this issue of noone being "there." First off, because i don't think you understand what it is. How could you possibly throw the paradigm of beign "there" around in conversation, putting it in quotes, if you don't even think it exists in a living person. And second, because being "there" is not about everyone agreeing on it right away, or the whole world having to be a perfect place just because a small portion of people are "there." Change takes time. This would be ignorant of the need for patience. Patience for the flow of reflecting information to take it's place in the minds of all beings on this planet. I do feel I am "there," as this comes with a lot of humility, and understanding that more information is bound to come, forcing me to constantly allow the change of the set of information I carry with me as tools of reflection towards those who are willing to listen, and share with others as well.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
[...] but for right now I'll just start by saying, I agree, no one is "there" [...]

[...] I have a feeling I'm gonna look back at this post and laugh at myself.
Yes, you will probably laugh at yourself. And so it is. I'm a tool, you're a tool, and you contradicted your own ability to reason, because if you paid attention (I understand that you admitted you weren't paying attention, in the beginning of your message, but still man, come on. You're on a Tool forum), there was clearly no agreement between us on this issue of noone being "there." First off, because i don't think you understand what it is. How could you possibly throw the paradigm of beign "there" around in conversation, putting it in quotes, if you don't even think it exists in a living person. And second, because being "there" is not about everyone agreeing on it right away, or the whole world having to be a perfect place just because a small portion of people are "there." Change takes time. This would be ignorant of the need for patience. Patience for the flow of reflecting information to take it's place in the minds of all beings on this planet. I do feel I am "there," as this comes with a lot of humility, and understanding that more information is bound to come, forcing me to constantly allow the change of the set of information I carry with me as tools of reflection towards those who are willing to listen, and share with others as well.
withSpirit
08-21-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchedpatience View Post

For all your word play, you don't actually formulate any cohesive arguments or point out any specific loopholes in my argument. My post had nothing to do with ignoring the past, or clinging to it for that matter; nor did it have anything to do with ignoring the bad. In fact, it had everything to do with acknowledging the bad, or the 'dark.' Your above response made no sense in the context of my post. If anything, it agreed with my post and confirmed the point I was making, so I do at least thank you for that. In the future though, make sure you understand the fullness of the assertion to which you are responding. When you are discussing with people as intelligent as yourself or more so, you cannot fake your way into sounding intelligent by simply composing wordy sentences, especially when they are marked by misspellings and grammatical errors. I would suggest you focus less on sounding like a 19th century philosopher, and focus more on developing your reasoning and supporting the culmination of that reasoning, the contention or conclusion, that you ultimately wish to put forward. This will allow you to communicate your ideas more effectively in the future. Better luck with your next response.

I would also like to add that you can remove those quotation marks around Maynard's name, because Maynard's lyrics reflect the views of Maynard- not of Adam Jones, not of Justin Chancellor, and not of Danny Carey. They are one individual's contribution to the music, nothing more. Tool is not a product of Maynard's lyrics. Maynard's lyrics are personal ideas inspired by the music.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #9

Quote:

For all your word play, you don't actually formulate any cohesive arguments or point out any specific loopholes in my argument. My post had nothing to do with ignoring the past, or clinging to it for that matter; nor did it have anything to do with ignoring the bad. In fact, it had everything to do with acknowledging the bad, or the 'dark.' Your above response made no sense in the context of my post. If anything, it agreed with my post and confirmed the point I was making, so I do at least thank you for that. In the future though, make sure you understand the fullness of the assertion to which you are responding. When you are discussing with people as intelligent as yourself or more so, you cannot fake your way into sounding intelligent by simply composing wordy sentences, especially when they are marked by misspellings and grammatical errors. I would suggest you focus less on sounding like a 19th century philosopher, and focus more on developing your reasoning and supporting the culmination of that reasoning, the contention or conclusion, that you ultimately wish to put forward. This will allow you to communicate your ideas more effectively in the future. Better luck with your next response.

I would also like to add that you can remove those quotation marks around Maynard's name, because Maynard's lyrics reflect the views of Maynard- not of Adam Jones, not of Justin Chancellor, and not of Danny Carey. They are one individual's contribution to the music, nothing more. Tool is not a product of Maynard's lyrics. Maynard's lyrics are personal ideas inspired by the music.
benchedpatience
08-23-2009, 12:47 PM

Thank you Jesus. My job here is done. I let my ego be ugly, subconsciously hoping that you guys would crucify me, and you did, thoroughly. This message here is about acknowledging in full awareness exaggerated hypocrisies. Consider the lyrics, "why can't we just admit it?" The point here is that we feed. I was feeding my ego towards the end of this thread. You guys were feeding your drives which vouch for reason and honesty. And we all feed off of anything or anyone that reaffirms the states of being we've each chosen, in hopes of a better future. If we can all at least own up to the ways in which we see ourselves feed, we're not yet completely fucked in terms of being able to push past the drama of these mere attachments. This is my main point in all this. I layed out this thread as a challenge to anyone who happens to stumble across the forum, and is open to making use. Our words altogether serve as a potential catalyst, in order to no longer feel stuck right on the borderline of change. Chances are, if you're hesitant to let go of your attachments, you're simultaneously disappointed in yourself for being ignorant of the impermanence inherent in any new theory, relationship, or experience. This is where we have an opportunity to look reality square in the eyes, and come to "accept the possibilities." I'm off to the Jambi thread to continue this journey, into the realm of the fulcrum of wants and needs.

"Much better you than I."
-Vicarious
"So if I could, I'd would wish it all away. If i thought tomorrow could take you away."
-Jambi
(If I=center/piece of mind, you=ego) It's much better you than I, because you simply don't get it. If I had all the power, we would be able to do anything. But the reality is that there is no "we". This comes down to a division between what is necessary, and what defines what is necessary. A division between wants and needs. Shine on benevolent sun with your information. Although what you show me shakes the ground I've already built for myself, I will work through the process until my so-called feeding mechanisms and drives are breathing in union with my peace of mind.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Thank you Jesus. My job here is done. I let my ego be ugly, subconsciously hoping that you guys would crucify me, and you did, thoroughly. This message here is about acknowledging in full awareness exaggerated hypocrisies. Consider the lyrics, "why can't we just admit it?" The point here is that we feed. I was feeding my ego towards the end of this thread. You guys were feeding your drives which vouch for reason and honesty. And we all feed off of anything or anyone that reaffirms the states of being we've each chosen, in hopes of a better future. If we can all at least own up to the ways in which we see ourselves feed, we're not yet completely fucked in terms of being able to push past the drama of these mere attachments. This is my main point in all this. I layed out this thread as a challenge to anyone who happens to stumble across the forum, and is open to making use. Our words altogether serve as a potential catalyst, in order to no longer feel stuck right on the borderline of change. Chances are, if you're hesitant to let go of your attachments, you're simultaneously disappointed in yourself for being ignorant of the impermanence inherent in any new theory, relationship, or experience. This is where we have an opportunity to look reality square in the eyes, and come to "accept the possibilities." I'm off to the Jambi thread to continue this journey, into the realm of the fulcrum of wants and needs.

-Vicarious
"So if I could, I'd would wish it all away. If i thought tomorrow could take you away."
-Jambi
(If I=center/piece of mind, you=ego) It's much better you than I, because you simply don't get it. If I had all the power, we would be able to do anything. But the reality is that there is no "we". This comes down to a division between what is necessary, and what defines what is necessary. A division between wants and needs. Shine on benevolent sun with your information. Although what you show me shakes the ground I've already built for myself, I will work through the process until my so-called feeding mechanisms and drives are breathing in union with my peace of mind.
08-24-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:

-Vicarious
-Jambi
I am not very keen on the idea that there exists "there". In a way the place you mentioned would mean to me a process which I am aware of. When I work the process it will result in a lot of good but no way it will ever be static.

However, this was a nice read and i look forward on your contribution to other threads (maybe look at videos section :)
Old 08-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #11

Quote:

-Vicarious
-Jambi
I am not very keen on the idea that there exists "there". In a way the place you mentioned would mean to me a process which I am aware of. When I work the process it will result in a lot of good but no way it will ever be static.

However, this was a nice read and i look forward on your contribution to other threads (maybe look at videos section :)
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
08-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Exactly
Old 08-24-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:

Exactly
08-25-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:

-Vicarious
-Jambi
Why do you constantly weave lyrics from Tool songs into your sentences? Do you even have your own brain? If you're trying to explain what Tool lyrics mean, you don't accomplish that by simply restating them. That's like saying broccoli is green because it's broccoli. Again, you're not actually formulating any real argument or explanation. You're using complicated sentences to say stupidly obvious things that are not new to anyone here. Please, cut the bullshit. You didn't challenge anyone. You're not challenging anyone now. You're not any kind of intellectual authority. The more you talk, the more inconsistent and incoherent your rambling becomes. My last bit of advice would be this: just stop. The absurdity, not only of what you say but of how you choose to say it, is not benefiting you.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #13

Quote:

-Vicarious
-Jambi
Why do you constantly weave lyrics from Tool songs into your sentences? Do you even have your own brain? If you're trying to explain what Tool lyrics mean, you don't accomplish that by simply restating them. That's like saying broccoli is green because it's broccoli. Again, you're not actually formulating any real argument or explanation. You're using complicated sentences to say stupidly obvious things that are not new to anyone here. Please, cut the bullshit. You didn't challenge anyone. You're not challenging anyone now. You're not any kind of intellectual authority. The more you talk, the more inconsistent and incoherent your rambling becomes. My last bit of advice would be this: just stop. The absurdity, not only of what you say but of how you choose to say it, is not benefiting you.
08-25-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
He makes more sense and more logic in 3 words than you ever have
Old 08-25-2009, 06:19 AM   #14
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
He makes more sense and more logic in 3 words than you ever have
08-30-2009, 11:49 AM

Alrighty then, picture this if you will
2 joints, an empty loft, and a dumpster sitting on my third eye,
I was all kinds of chilling, keeping solitude, about to eat a peach...
Tool navy, opinions are thrills, go into "THE FIRE!"
The blood nerve of Irusu, to point out me using Tool's lexicon
This synchronous flow is genius for the revolution at hand.

It's too bad we're only apes,
I said it's too bad we're only apes.

So an alien comes out in a flaming stealth banana which splits the sky, carrying the higher message brought by E.T., in order to transcend our ape barriers into a form of intelligent collective conscious.

But i forgot my pen, took acid 3 weeks ago and had some crazy shit happen in my brain, and i just want to say one fucking thing on this thread that people might be reading. This quote from Lateralus, is revelatory in the same sense that Vicarious is revelatory of witnessing the feeding frenzies we partake in as human beings:

I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human.

As a conscious human being on this Earth, I do believe that "Eden" has enough to go around. Bathe in the fountain, shall ye?

- Don't shoot the messenger lol (puscifer).
Old 08-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Alrighty then, picture this if you will
2 joints, an empty loft, and a dumpster sitting on my third eye,
I was all kinds of chilling, keeping solitude, about to eat a peach...
Tool navy, opinions are thrills, go into "THE FIRE!"
The blood nerve of Irusu, to point out me using Tool's lexicon
This synchronous flow is genius for the revolution at hand.

It's too bad we're only apes,
I said it's too bad we're only apes.

So an alien comes out in a flaming stealth banana which splits the sky, carrying the higher message brought by E.T., in order to transcend our ape barriers into a form of intelligent collective conscious.

But i forgot my pen, took acid 3 weeks ago and had some crazy shit happen in my brain, and i just want to say one fucking thing on this thread that people might be reading. This quote from Lateralus, is revelatory in the same sense that Vicarious is revelatory of witnessing the feeding frenzies we partake in as human beings:

I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human.

As a conscious human being on this Earth, I do believe that "Eden" has enough to go around. Bathe in the fountain, shall ye?

- Don't shoot the messenger lol (puscifer).
benchedpatience
08-30-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0.618 View Post

The way these words are drawn out when sung at the end of "Vicarious" allows fragmentation of the sentence structure into any amount of words for each sentence. Hence the possibility of:

"Much better. You. Then I."

Imagine if the world did become a more hopeful place. I think this arrangement of the words shows what would happen in terms of all beings sharing, "bathing in the fountain." It's a show of appreciation for the social contract that could be in place. A much better, you go first, while i wait patiently for OUR turn to speak, kind of world. (Take notice of my use of the word, world, which is also used in the line that leads up to this finale.)

This is fucking genius people. Wake up; drop all the things you've been attaching to your bullshit amounts of time. And learn how this band is about opening up doors of perception, which might just lead you to being able to open up any of these translucent doors, on your own terms. OOOHHH!! think for yourself. question authority.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

The way these words are drawn out when sung at the end of "Vicarious" allows fragmentation of the sentence structure into any amount of words for each sentence. Hence the possibility of:

Imagine if the world did become a more hopeful place. I think this arrangement of the words shows what would happen in terms of all beings sharing, "bathing in the fountain." It's a show of appreciation for the social contract that could be in place. A much better, you go first, while i wait patiently for OUR turn to speak, kind of world. (Take notice of my use of the word, world, which is also used in the line that leads up to this finale.)

This is fucking genius people. Wake up; drop all the things you've been attaching to your bullshit amounts of time. And learn how this band is about opening up doors of perception, which might just lead you to being able to open up any of these translucent doors, on your own terms. OOOHHH!! think for yourself. question authority.
benchedpatience
08-30-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:

This is fucking genius people. Wake up; drop all the things you've been attaching to your bullshit amounts of time. And learn how this band is about opening up doors of perception, which might just lead you to being able to open up any of these translucent doors, on your own terms. OOOHHH!! question authority, even yourself.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

This is fucking genius people. Wake up; drop all the things you've been attaching to your bullshit amounts of time. And learn how this band is about opening up doors of perception, which might just lead you to being able to open up any of these translucent doors, on your own terms. OOOHHH!! question authority, even yourself.
Roopey's Avatar Roopey
09-03-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:

I agree with you that Maynard is including himself in this song, and I would say that in more Tool songs than you might think Maynard is singing to parts of himself, projections if you will. The struggle between the ego and the unconscious is a recurring theme throughout their discography. Singing Tool songs to myself, about myself is one of the most eye opening experiences I've ever gone through, and I'm sure Maynard uses the songs for the same reason. The struggle might come to light, but it's still going on and won't end until you are one with yourself.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

I agree with you that Maynard is including himself in this song, and I would say that in more Tool songs than you might think Maynard is singing to parts of himself, projections if you will. The struggle between the ego and the unconscious is a recurring theme throughout their discography. Singing Tool songs to myself, about myself is one of the most eye opening experiences I've ever gone through, and I'm sure Maynard uses the songs for the same reason. The struggle might come to light, but it's still going on and won't end until you are one with yourself.
benchedpatience
09-03-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roopey View Post
Your wording, "the struggle between the ego and the unconscious," is fun, because who knows if there even are words to describe the cycles that take place along the cobbled path of self-discovery. All we can do is become more aware of the struggle/s.

You're presumptions about many Tool songs being projections from himself, onto himself, for himself, are the same as mine. Good thinking monkey brother.

SIDENOTE REGARDING MAYNARD: I see the issue, of Maynard's level of contribution to the interpreted understandings of Tool, as a major dividing point among these forums. Because I see this, I'd like to tell a little story about where I've been with this:

It all came down to me pulling down the comforter from over my cocoon, finding myself laying down in a bed soaked in sweat and vomit, 8 hours out of a 3 hit acid trip. Looking back, "Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)" and "Rosetta Stoned" are quite reminiscent, even though "No Quarter" and "Pushit (Live)" were the songs playing like a broken record out of my mouth and ass during this time. Now, the travels and torments of my mind then were not limited to Tool. I also had the unconscious, antagonizingly belligerent expressions of my own odd perceptions or brainwashed fears of Satan, Hell, Jesus, God, social and worldly change, violence, sexual frustration, homosexuality, getting hit by a car, masturbating, Apple Inc., dance clubbing, and the collective underground of whoring that goes with it. To explain this melting pot, I've managed to describe some of the mechanisms which I theorize took place, although I won't do that here. If someone's curious, just message me and I'll see if I can write something up for the "Rosetta Stoned" forum.

I digressed into the acid trip, only to show you that it took all of this and more, only to later realize just how consumed by Tool, among other things, I really was. With the extremely emotional, and sometimes even irrational lyrics (if you were to only look at one lyric, and not the surrounding ones), it makes sense that we're constantly forming into our minds a kind of delusional relationship with the man behind the beautiful voice. In my early stages as a Tool fan, I recall wondering quite often if he would agree or be at peace with what I was doing at a given moment, or with my life in general. Now, this wasn't all I did as I listened to the music. This was only a silly extension of the sporadic progress being made all along the way. I'm sure some of you are familiar with picking and choosing from the vast collection of Tool's albums, always getting better and better at finding that perfect song to match the digging you think you need (until/unless you've completely exhausted this revelatory nature from every song, that is lol). Yet that digging can easily be obstructed by the monkeyish human tendencies to attach onto people, ideas, and most of all assumptions. This is indeed a three-ring circus. First off, this is where I think we've all played those games with the Maynard in our heads, fantasizing about how we'd certainly have a good "laugh and cry," if and when we met someday of course lol. We also marvel at the uncanny precision, with which he outlines ideas we've already had, before ever listening to Tool, or whatever song or album. And then we come onto toolnavy.com, and let the influence of these attachment experiences pervade and dilute the necessary exchange of ideas. Even though this is my first thread posting, I'm only guessing that I've made the same mistake, probably without even mentioning Maynard (that is, letting my delusional attachments to a connection with him or the band shine through). And coming on to the forums for the first time with the intention of sharing information, I was certainly not surprised to find people going through the same struggle, having cranked out their own unique little assumptions about Maynard (Part of the reason I'm writing this is in hope of opening up a kind of cleansing process for this forum). I'm also curious as to how many Tool fans here feel alone in their musical taste, besides being affirmed by this internet community. For me, I have felt this to be an additional understandable reason for falling into attachments with Maynard. Only three people I actually talk to in person even listen to Tool at all, so that's to say that they don't show very many signs of embracing it like I do at all. I theorize that Tool fans are destined to be lone wolfs, at least in this day and age, given their distribution over a wide age range. Even though this kind of seclusion can be hard, I get the feeling that the more alone a Tool fan is in their respective world, the more openly and diligently they pursue meaning in the music. This is a useful escape from the usual opinionated boundaries of everyday conversation. I imagine that disputes can become personal, just like they do on this forum, and Tool's processes become lost in the midst of assumptions and damaged egos.

THE POINT: Whether you're surrounded by interpretational influence or not, use EVIDENCE FROM THE WORLD THAT YOU SEE to give some REAL grounding to the IDEAS THAT YOU DECIDE ON. Sometimes this is a very tedious and lonely process, but we can't use Maynard to be human for us. Don't just put in your earphones and reaffirm Tool's significance in your life, every time something or someone relative comes up in your reality. Perhaps put on new eyes instead, and try to see this relative reality as an opportunity, that you'd be missing otherwise. And that's where you're going to develop your communication abilities and wisdom... That's where you'll begin to stand in the fire on your own two feet, and push out that renewed life from your withering protective womb of Tool's music, and whatever else you hold so dear and fragile. That's when you'll feel strong, and most of all, human. That's when you've created something. If only you knew how fragile and impossible my life has felt at times, and how differently things appear to be from this vantage point of mine.

With this in mind, do the infinitely tedious, and often silly questions regarding Maynard's exact intentions and life situations really need an answer? If your answer is yes, two more questions. Have you given Carey, Chancellor, and Jones equally significant positions, as all four members equally form the whole of one band, Tool? How much do we really KNOW about Tool and their creative process?

Last edited by benchedpatience; 09-03-2009 at 03:26 AM..
Old 09-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

Yes Roopey, And1 about maynard...

Quote:
Your wording, "the struggle between the ego and the unconscious," is fun, because who knows if there even are words to describe the cycles that take place along the cobbled path of self-discovery. All we can do is become more aware of the struggle/s.

You're presumptions about many Tool songs being projections from himself, onto himself, for himself, are the same as mine. Good thinking monkey brother.

SIDENOTE REGARDING MAYNARD: I see the issue, of Maynard's level of contribution to the interpreted understandings of Tool, as a major dividing point among these forums. Because I see this, I'd like to tell a little story about where I've been with this:

It all came down to me pulling down the comforter from over my cocoon, finding myself laying down in a bed soaked in sweat and vomit, 8 hours out of a 3 hit acid trip. Looking back, "Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)" and "Rosetta Stoned" are quite reminiscent, even though "No Quarter" and "Pushit (Live)" were the songs playing like a broken record out of my mouth and ass during this time. Now, the travels and torments of my mind then were not limited to Tool. I also had the unconscious, antagonizingly belligerent expressions of my own odd perceptions or brainwashed fears of Satan, Hell, Jesus, God, social and worldly change, violence, sexual frustration, homosexuality, getting hit by a car, masturbating, Apple Inc., dance clubbing, and the collective underground of whoring that goes with it. To explain this melting pot, I've managed to describe some of the mechanisms which I theorize took place, although I won't do that here. If someone's curious, just message me and I'll see if I can write something up for the "Rosetta Stoned" forum.

I digressed into the acid trip, only to show you that it took all of this and more, only to later realize just how consumed by Tool, among other things, I really was. With the extremely emotional, and sometimes even irrational lyrics (if you were to only look at one lyric, and not the surrounding ones), it makes sense that we're constantly forming into our minds a kind of delusional relationship with the man behind the beautiful voice. In my early stages as a Tool fan, I recall wondering quite often if he would agree or be at peace with what I was doing at a given moment, or with my life in general. Now, this wasn't all I did as I listened to the music. This was only a silly extension of the sporadic progress being made all along the way. I'm sure some of you are familiar with picking and choosing from the vast collection of Tool's albums, always getting better and better at finding that perfect song to match the digging you think you need (until/unless you've completely exhausted this revelatory nature from every song, that is lol). Yet that digging can easily be obstructed by the monkeyish human tendencies to attach onto people, ideas, and most of all assumptions. This is indeed a three-ring circus. First off, this is where I think we've all played those games with the Maynard in our heads, fantasizing about how we'd certainly have a good "laugh and cry," if and when we met someday of course lol. We also marvel at the uncanny precision, with which he outlines ideas we've already had, before ever listening to Tool, or whatever song or album. And then we come onto toolnavy.com, and let the influence of these attachment experiences pervade and dilute the necessary exchange of ideas. Even though this is my first thread posting, I'm only guessing that I've made the same mistake, probably without even mentioning Maynard (that is, letting my delusional attachments to a connection with him or the band shine through). And coming on to the forums for the first time with the intention of sharing information, I was certainly not surprised to find people going through the same struggle, having cranked out their own unique little assumptions about Maynard (Part of the reason I'm writing this is in hope of opening up a kind of cleansing process for this forum). I'm also curious as to how many Tool fans here feel alone in their musical taste, besides being affirmed by this internet community. For me, I have felt this to be an additional understandable reason for falling into attachments with Maynard. Only three people I actually talk to in person even listen to Tool at all, so that's to say that they don't show very many signs of embracing it like I do at all. I theorize that Tool fans are destined to be lone wolfs, at least in this day and age, given their distribution over a wide age range. Even though this kind of seclusion can be hard, I get the feeling that the more alone a Tool fan is in their respective world, the more openly and diligently they pursue meaning in the music. This is a useful escape from the usual opinionated boundaries of everyday conversation. I imagine that disputes can become personal, just like they do on this forum, and Tool's processes become lost in the midst of assumptions and damaged egos.

THE POINT: Whether you're surrounded by interpretational influence or not, use EVIDENCE FROM THE WORLD THAT YOU SEE to give some REAL grounding to the IDEAS THAT YOU DECIDE ON. Sometimes this is a very tedious and lonely process, but we can't use Maynard to be human for us. Don't just put in your earphones and reaffirm Tool's significance in your life, every time something or someone relative comes up in your reality. Perhaps put on new eyes instead, and try to see this relative reality as an opportunity, that you'd be missing otherwise. And that's where you're going to develop your communication abilities and wisdom... That's where you'll begin to stand in the fire on your own two feet, and push out that renewed life from your withering protective womb of Tool's music, and whatever else you hold so dear and fragile. That's when you'll feel strong, and most of all, human. That's when you've created something. If only you knew how fragile and impossible my life has felt at times, and how differently things appear to be from this vantage point of mine.

With this in mind, do the infinitely tedious, and often silly questions regarding Maynard's exact intentions and life situations really need an answer? If your answer is yes, two more questions. Have you given Carey, Chancellor, and Jones equally significant positions, as all four members equally form the whole of one band, Tool? How much do we really KNOW about Tool and their creative process?

Last edited by benchedpatience; 09-03-2009 at 03:26 AM..
Roopey's Avatar Roopey
09-03-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
There are words for the cobbled path of self discovery, in fact the process even has a name: Individuation. Google it, then buy some books by Carl Jung, you'll love 'em.

Quote:
Story and Ranting
Embrace the reality where everyone on this forum is on a different stage of their journeys and be patient.

Quote:
Whether you're surrounded by interpretational influence or not, use EVIDENCE FROM THE WORLD THAT YOU SEE to give some REAL grounding to the IDEAS THAT YOU DECIDE ON.
Your eyes play tricks on you. Be careful.

Quote:
How much do we really KNOW about Tool and their creative process?
All we know about them is what they sold us.

The tedium that is an analyst's work is overwhelming to say the least, and if at any point you get lost in the turmoil of this hideously beautiful reality know there is no growth without grief.

Last edited by Roopey; 09-03-2009 at 03:46 AM..
Old 09-03-2009, 03:42 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Yes Roopey, And1 about maynard...

Quote:
There are words for the cobbled path of self discovery, in fact the process even has a name: Individuation. Google it, then buy some books by Carl Jung, you'll love 'em.

Quote:
Story and Ranting
Embrace the reality where everyone on this forum is on a different stage of their journeys and be patient.

Quote:
Whether you're surrounded by interpretational influence or not, use EVIDENCE FROM THE WORLD THAT YOU SEE to give some REAL grounding to the IDEAS THAT YOU DECIDE ON.
Your eyes play tricks on you. Be careful.

Quote:
How much do we really KNOW about Tool and their creative process?
All we know about them is what they sold us.

The tedium that is an analyst's work is overwhelming to say the least, and if at any point you get lost in the turmoil of this hideously beautiful reality know there is no growth without grief.

Last edited by Roopey; 09-03-2009 at 03:46 AM..
09-03-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Both H. and 46&2 are good examples of this.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:16 AM   #21
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Both H. and 46&2 are good examples of this.
09-03-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Wow, you should REALLY see a psychiatrist
Old 09-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #22
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Re: Yes Roopey, And1 about maynard...

Quote:
Wow, you should REALLY see a psychiatrist
09-03-2009, 05:54 PM

I guess that's why I"m here in the first place. To be an absurd example showing how insane my thoughts can really get, but I still have money. Maybe my parents pay for everything!! Wahh. My shadow-anima wants to be sacrificed. yep, i can play with insanity. weed is awesome, and that's a lot of what i have to say. "ganja puhhlease!"
Old 09-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

I guess that's why I"m here in the first place. To be an absurd example showing how insane my thoughts can really get, but I still have money. Maybe my parents pay for everything!! Wahh. My shadow-anima wants to be sacrificed. yep, i can play with insanity. weed is awesome, and that's a lot of what i have to say. "ganja puhhlease!"
benchedpatience
09-03-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:

This post was probably the most concise advancement of this thread.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

This post was probably the most concise advancement of this thread.
Roopey's Avatar Roopey
09-03-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Your ego needs to be sacrificed, not your anima. The anima is the bridge between the ego and the unconscious, in not so few words.

So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical

But you already knew that from your previous posts, right?

Breathe that shit in until it hurts.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Your ego needs to be sacrificed, not your anima. The anima is the bridge between the ego and the unconscious, in not so few words.

So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical

But you already knew that from your previous posts, right?

benchedpatience
09-06-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Things i've learned in the last weeks, which ended up being relative to this thread. (This scares me because I wonder where my inspiration came from. Who are you people that you are interested in talking about things like this? No one I know ever wants to go digging.):

- We're all feeding, off of different things. During the time that we're not feeding, we're planning our feasts. This feeding is highly interpersonal, as that is our favorite kind of feeding. The whole world is here for me to feed off of, as I've always made it for myself, and that's the vicarious element of this position of choice.

- The above thought leads into the song Jambi, because it is the Tool creation which squares off with the position of choice for feeding, more directly than anything else. The vibes are also remotely comforting towards the end... I think in order to ease in the Noobs, and reassure the tedious path pavers. The concepts of "breathing" and "union" are oh so elementary, but at the same time, like Rooney said.... "Breathe that shit in until it hurts." Believe it or not!, it doesn't take long to start hurting. In fact, it comes right away when my attention is focused on the issues at hind. It feels like I'm only returning to this pain, because I've been in these self-destructive cycles of weed, sex, food, and obsession for a long time. I don't know where to go from here. What's a joke and what isn't? What's useful and what's not? What's a good tool?? So far I've just been looking around. I now feel the need to stare inside myself, and embrace the eyes that I'm using, regardless of the pain they bring me.

Last edited by benchedpatience; 09-06-2009 at 12:37 AM..
Old 09-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Things i've learned in the last weeks, which ended up being relative to this thread. (This scares me because I wonder where my inspiration came from. Who are you people that you are interested in talking about things like this? No one I know ever wants to go digging.):

- We're all feeding, off of different things. During the time that we're not feeding, we're planning our feasts. This feeding is highly interpersonal, as that is our favorite kind of feeding. The whole world is here for me to feed off of, as I've always made it for myself, and that's the vicarious element of this position of choice.

- The above thought leads into the song Jambi, because it is the Tool creation which squares off with the position of choice for feeding, more directly than anything else. The vibes are also remotely comforting towards the end... I think in order to ease in the Noobs, and reassure the tedious path pavers. The concepts of "breathing" and "union" are oh so elementary, but at the same time, like Rooney said.... "Breathe that shit in until it hurts." Believe it or not!, it doesn't take long to start hurting. In fact, it comes right away when my attention is focused on the issues at hind. It feels like I'm only returning to this pain, because I've been in these self-destructive cycles of weed, sex, food, and obsession for a long time. I don't know where to go from here. What's a joke and what isn't? What's useful and what's not? What's a good tool?? So far I've just been looking around. I now feel the need to stare inside myself, and embrace the eyes that I'm using, regardless of the pain they bring me.

Last edited by benchedpatience; 09-06-2009 at 12:37 AM..
benchedpatience
09-07-2009, 04:18 PM

my new mission: fully accept, maybe even embrace, both the opportunities and limits of human-human feeding/connection, because i realize now that I, we won't give pause until the blood/feeding/CONNECTION is flowing, and that is human.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

my new mission: fully accept, maybe even embrace, both the opportunities and limits of human-human feeding/connection, because i realize now that I, we won't give pause until the blood/feeding/CONNECTION is flowing, and that is human.
Roopey's Avatar Roopey
09-09-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
It's not so much the limitations of humanity as much as it is the acknowledgment of our actions as a whole. Sure, we all have great potential, but most fail to realize it or even care to. 10,000 Days is an acceptance not of our limitations, but of the harsh reality that humans choose to cut it all right in two.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
It's not so much the limitations of humanity as much as it is the acknowledgment of our actions as a whole. Sure, we all have great potential, but most fail to realize it or even care to. 10,000 Days is an acceptance not of our limitations, but of the harsh reality that humans choose to cut it all right in two.
benchedpatience
09-09-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I want a girl, a mate, an obsession. One who will complete the division of my world into two. I will hide my eyes from the world and other people around me, keeping them buried in the bosom of my mistress. Two worlds now, at my dispense, to do my evil upon, with me always hoping to carry out the will of my beloved Jambi. Perhaps this is the final frontier, leaving the female, the mate, free...
Old 09-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #29
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I want a girl, a mate, an obsession. One who will complete the division of my world into two. I will hide my eyes from the world and other people around me, keeping them buried in the bosom of my mistress. Two worlds now, at my dispense, to do my evil upon, with me always hoping to carry out the will of my beloved Jambi. Perhaps this is the final frontier, leaving the female, the mate, free...
09-10-2009, 08:13 AM

What the fuck are you on?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #30
Level 12 - Scurrilous

09-11-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
LMFAO you live up to your name
Old 09-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
09-11-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Still not sure what the fuck you're talking about. It made absolutely no sense. I can only assume "you musta' been high"
Old 09-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #32
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Still not sure what the fuck you're talking about. It made absolutely no sense. I can only assume "you musta' been high"
09-15-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
First off, I was high. Nice catch. Now I'll explain.

I jumped to my own conclusions about your name, Inner_Eulogy, while mainly taking into account your signature quote about good and evil, and the nature of a lot of your posts. You are a bullshit prevention machine as shown by your snide remarks, and it seems that you keep your own general understandings of life and communication as the backbone behind these humorous statements. Even further, your User Name specifies the most probable cause for the need to shut someone up by holding reference to the song "Eulogy." Applying the word "inner" makes it clear that you're aware of how the words within this song are most useful when directed by oneself, at oneself. So all in all, I find that your posts and name have gone hand in hand quite often on this thread, and probably on other that I'm not aware of, thereby bringing to fruition the unifying property of synchronicity. Hope this makes sense. Any other questionable explanations or intentions of mine, anyone please point them out.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any good threads of the past... might be useful for the thorough nature of my main project, which is to start a university club + website, which will serve as a semi-open source Tool-like catalyst by way of consolidated information (including any ideas most relative to Tool, human nature, money, foreign, domestic, and global issues, transcendence, and finally collectivism towards a conscious people's constitution) available to anyone as a launch pad for free thought. I'm not a psychologist. I'm not a writer. I'm not a preacher. I'm a human being who evidently gets better and better at relating with the people around him, perhaps verging further and further on insanity by way of my continuous discovery of loopholes towards change in our society (If you're familiar with my process, I suppose you know far too well the frightful balance between awareness of these loopholes, and the label of "insanity" branded on you if you're caught using them).
The evidence I've come across at a University like this all points towards this: Young minds are hungry for the truth that will bring full circle the realization and admittance of ambiguous pain and self-destruction; once made aware, the wise must share with them reasonable hopes for the future that can stand as new motivation for survival.
Reasoning and Goal: Time is a constant challenge, especially in the US. I think we can all admit that if we had all the time we wanted to listen to Tool, read the right books, communicate, exercise, and meditate, we would come to understand matters of the mind at a faster rate. But this go go world we live in is becoming less and less of an obstacle, because of how fast information can be relayed via Internet. With the completed writings for this club, which will include procedure for things like meetings, and writing out a constitution that is as open to change as is humanly possible, a working jump start will be available for anyone who wants peace. On one hand, there is the physical booth I will occupy in the student union. Here is where I'll suck in the sheep. Once they read through an idea or two from the pamphlets, and we discuss, they may find it hard to completely walk away (not from me, the thought process), as the consolidated whole of information should hold up as a spiral of circular reasoning (hence jump start). According to the laws of technology, human nature, and time, the completion of this effort lies in the website, which is to be an "organized" database. It's advantage is 24/7 availability to those with internet access, as well as having nothing to do with copyright, making distribution hassle-free. These two elements (booth and website) are functionally connected. And let us not forget the potentials of word of mouth, which make my mind jizz.

If anyone is interested in working on this with me, send me a message, and you can steal and share my work for 0.005 cents a word
Old 09-15-2009, 03:05 AM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

I jumped to my own conclusions about your name, Inner_Eulogy, while mainly taking into account your signature quote about good and evil, and the nature of a lot of your posts. You are a bullshit prevention machine as shown by your snide remarks, and it seems that you keep your own general understandings of life and communication as the backbone behind these humorous statements. Even further, your User Name specifies the most probable cause for the need to shut someone up by holding reference to the song "Eulogy." Applying the word "inner" makes it clear that you're aware of how the words within this song are most useful when directed by oneself, at oneself. So all in all, I find that your posts and name have gone hand in hand quite often on this thread, and probably on other that I'm not aware of, thereby bringing to fruition the unifying property of synchronicity. Hope this makes sense. Any other questionable explanations or intentions of mine, anyone please point them out.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any good threads of the past... might be useful for the thorough nature of my main project, which is to start a university club + website, which will serve as a semi-open source Tool-like catalyst by way of consolidated information (including any ideas most relative to Tool, human nature, money, foreign, domestic, and global issues, transcendence, and finally collectivism towards a conscious people's constitution) available to anyone as a launch pad for free thought. I'm not a psychologist. I'm not a writer. I'm not a preacher. I'm a human being who evidently gets better and better at relating with the people around him, perhaps verging further and further on insanity by way of my continuous discovery of loopholes towards change in our society (If you're familiar with my process, I suppose you know far too well the frightful balance between awareness of these loopholes, and the label of "insanity" branded on you if you're caught using them).
The evidence I've come across at a University like this all points towards this: Young minds are hungry for the truth that will bring full circle the realization and admittance of ambiguous pain and self-destruction; once made aware, the wise must share with them reasonable hopes for the future that can stand as new motivation for survival.
Reasoning and Goal: Time is a constant challenge, especially in the US. I think we can all admit that if we had all the time we wanted to listen to Tool, read the right books, communicate, exercise, and meditate, we would come to understand matters of the mind at a faster rate. But this go go world we live in is becoming less and less of an obstacle, because of how fast information can be relayed via Internet. With the completed writings for this club, which will include procedure for things like meetings, and writing out a constitution that is as open to change as is humanly possible, a working jump start will be available for anyone who wants peace. On one hand, there is the physical booth I will occupy in the student union. Here is where I'll suck in the sheep. Once they read through an idea or two from the pamphlets, and we discuss, they may find it hard to completely walk away (not from me, the thought process), as the consolidated whole of information should hold up as a spiral of circular reasoning (hence jump start). According to the laws of technology, human nature, and time, the completion of this effort lies in the website, which is to be an "organized" database. It's advantage is 24/7 availability to those with internet access, as well as having nothing to do with copyright, making distribution hassle-free. These two elements (booth and website) are functionally connected. And let us not forget the potentials of word of mouth, which make my mind jizz.

If anyone is interested in working on this with me, send me a message, and you can steal and share my work for 0.005 cents a word
09-15-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:

Be careful - i think l. ron hubbard started it like this :)

As a side note:
all posts © their respective authors. the tool page is not responsible for any of their thoughts, brilliant or otherwise.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 AM   #34

Quote:

Be careful - i think l. ron hubbard started it like this :)

As a side note:
all posts © their respective authors. the tool page is not responsible for any of their thoughts, brilliant or otherwise.
09-15-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Eh, lol, whatever floats your boat bud.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:37 AM   #35
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Eh, lol, whatever floats your boat bud.
04-08-2010, 04:00 PM

yo guys check out my youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/goddolove?feature=mhw5
Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

yo guys check out my youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/goddolove?feature=mhw5

Rate This Thread