Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 10. Right in Two
User Name
Password
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
07-24-2006, 09:25 AM

I can't believe this is still going on over here....
HE IS NOT CATHOLIC! Don't be so stupid!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:25 AM   #201
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8
Re: Maynard the Catholic?

I can't believe this is still going on over here....
HE IS NOT CATHOLIC! Don't be so stupid!
07-24-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamadia
Nice thoughts to you and Successfully.

One thing I'm stuck on though, I'm pretty sure it must be "burden of proof tossed upon NON believers. Burden of truth, a legal term, is the obligation to have to proove something. Believers do not have to proove anything because they believe. Non-believers are the ones burdened with this. That line, I think, is a continutation of the line "Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance," burdened with the need to proove the existance of a higher power.
After thinking about this for several weeks and weighing it in my mind, I think it is

'burden of prood tossed upon the believers'

Because the believers are like... the prosecutors... the ones that have to prove something to the skeptics/non-believers. So they're the one the burden of proof lies upon. It's up to the believers to provide proof of god/Jesus/whatever. The non-believers don't have to prove anything. They're not arguing a case.

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 07-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #202
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Nice thoughts to you and Successfully.

One thing I'm stuck on though, I'm pretty sure it must be "burden of proof tossed upon NON believers. Burden of truth, a legal term, is the obligation to have to proove something. Believers do not have to proove anything because they believe. Non-believers are the ones burdened with this. That line, I think, is a continutation of the line "Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance," burdened with the need to proove the existance of a higher power.
After thinking about this for several weeks and weighing it in my mind, I think it is

Because the believers are like... the prosecutors... the ones that have to prove something to the skeptics/non-believers. So they're the one the burden of proof lies upon. It's up to the believers to provide proof of god/Jesus/whatever. The non-believers don't have to prove anything. They're not arguing a case.

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
07-25-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by implandnoises
so, yeah, um,i was like, surfing the tool forum and shit, and i like, saw some people saying that the tool guy was like catholic and shit. which tool guy? you know, the tool guy! there's only one tool guy! you know, the blue one.

anyways, so i was like, yeah, thats cool, is he? far out.

my mate, though, he told me that he wasn't eh? he said that he was a shaman or something, you know, like a priest for this little cult or something. he said they are called the louts of spira or the spira louts or something - some indian tribe, i don't know. so yeah, i just wanted to say that eh, cuz i think that maybe he wouldn't be a catholic and believe in jesus and shit, you know. not when he was like a priest of the indians and stuff, and besides, i always thought he was a satanist so that means he doesn't believe in god anyways.

yeah but like, i could be wrong though, cuz like, i've never met the guy and shit, so maybe he like, wears a cross or something and takes his kids to church (except i don't think rockstars have kids do they? apart from britney spears, but i think that was just part of the record deal).

yeah, i mean, i guess he could be catholic. like, i don't think he said so in interviews, but you never know. i guess he could be a scientologist. lots of stars are scientologists, he seems like the kind of guy who would be one too, because he is real intelligent and shit, so he probably knows his science real good and he knows where saturn is and shit.

true, so yeah, i guess he probably is a catholic scientologist, my mate must've been lying or something. he does that sometimes. like that time he gave me a bottle of alcohol and told me it was vodka, but it wasn't, it was meths. but thats ok, cuz it still got me drunk.
Fuckin funny post fellow Kiwi. Nice one. Sadly it seems someone actually took it seriously! Anyways, where can I sign up to become a Lout of Spira? LMAO dude, like really, I mean for real and shit man.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:39 AM   #203
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
so, yeah, um,i was like, surfing the tool forum and shit, and i like, saw some people saying that the tool guy was like catholic and shit. which tool guy? you know, the tool guy! there's only one tool guy! you know, the blue one.

my mate, though, he told me that he wasn't eh? he said that he was a shaman or something, you know, like a priest for this little cult or something. he said they are called the louts of spira or the spira louts or something - some indian tribe, i don't know. so yeah, i just wanted to say that eh, cuz i think that maybe he wouldn't be a catholic and believe in jesus and shit, you know. not when he was like a priest of the indians and stuff, and besides, i always thought he was a satanist so that means he doesn't believe in god anyways.

yeah but like, i could be wrong though, cuz like, i've never met the guy and shit, so maybe he like, wears a cross or something and takes his kids to church (except i don't think rockstars have kids do they? apart from britney spears, but i think that was just part of the record deal).

yeah, i mean, i guess he could be catholic. like, i don't think he said so in interviews, but you never know. i guess he could be a scientologist. lots of stars are scientologists, he seems like the kind of guy who would be one too, because he is real intelligent and shit, so he probably knows his science real good and he knows where saturn is and shit.

true, so yeah, i guess he probably is a catholic scientologist, my mate must've been lying or something. he does that sometimes. like that time he gave me a bottle of alcohol and told me it was vodka, but it wasn't, it was meths. but thats ok, cuz it still got me drunk.
Fuckin funny post fellow Kiwi. Nice one. Sadly it seems someone actually took it seriously! Anyways, where can I sign up to become a Lout of Spira? LMAO dude, like really, I mean for real and shit man.
07-25-2006, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketEffect

This is discussed where it belongs, i.e. in the "What's he saying?" thread. Go check it out. It could be either depending on whether he's speaking of his position or his mother's. His position would presumably be to toss the burden of proof upon THE believers (i.e. insist that they prove their case to him), whereas his mother's would likely have been to toss the burden of proof on the NON-believer's (i.e. insist they disprove her religious beliefs). Sadly, the context doesn't make it entirely clear who the line refers to, as the previous line refers to himself ("Set as I am..."), and the following line refers to his mother (Judith Marie...).
Old 07-25-2006, 07:47 AM   #204
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:

This is discussed where it belongs, i.e. in the "What's he saying?" thread. Go check it out. It could be either depending on whether he's speaking of his position or his mother's. His position would presumably be to toss the burden of proof upon THE believers (i.e. insist that they prove their case to him), whereas his mother's would likely have been to toss the burden of proof on the NON-believer's (i.e. insist they disprove her religious beliefs). Sadly, the context doesn't make it entirely clear who the line refers to, as the previous line refers to himself ("Set as I am..."), and the following line refers to his mother (Judith Marie...).
07-25-2006, 09:32 AM

Well, also I took the 'you were my witness, my eyes, my evidence' to be saying the burden of proof was tossed upon the believers and she was the prosecutor's case. She was the proof.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:32 AM   #205
Level 8 - Vociferous

Well, also I took the 'you were my witness, my eyes, my evidence' to be saying the burden of proof was tossed upon the believers and she was the prosecutor's case. She was the proof.

implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
07-25-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one and nobody
The fact that he is a intelligent shouldn't give him the predisposition to be a scientologist... have you ever looked into the beliefs of these people? Tom Cruise is their posterboy because they need all the help (and free advertising) they can get.
Yeah, I agree, Tom Cruise is the shit! You're right, he must be real smart if he is a Scientologist!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:48 PM   #206
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one and nobody
The fact that he is a intelligent shouldn't give him the predisposition to be a scientologist... have you ever looked into the beliefs of these people? Tom Cruise is their posterboy because they need all the help (and free advertising) they can get.
Yeah, I agree, Tom Cruise is the shit! You're right, he must be real smart if he is a Scientologist!
Aunt Acid's Avatar Aunt Acid
07-28-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Best post EVER.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:09 PM   #207
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0

Quote:

Best post EVER.
07-28-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb
Anyways, where can I sign up to become a Lout of Spira?
In Japan, the next Spira congregation is held in Osaka on August 12. If you can't make it to that, there is another meeting the next day in Tokyo. Be warned though - there is a brutal initiation ritual, and I have been informed that the Japanese regularly take this too far...
Old 07-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #208
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb
Anyways, where can I sign up to become a Lout of Spira?
In Japan, the next Spira congregation is held in Osaka on August 12. If you can't make it to that, there is another meeting the next day in Tokyo. Be warned though - there is a brutal initiation ritual, and I have been informed that the Japanese regularly take this too far...
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
07-29-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Acid
Best post EVER.
Indeed

Old 07-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #209
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Best post EVER.
Indeed

07-29-2006, 08:48 PM

Um, no... not even the same fucking ballpark.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:48 PM   #210
Level 8 - Vociferous

Um, no... not even the same fucking ballpark.

07-29-2006, 09:41 PM

It really wouldn't be close because Maynard is very spiritual and is in a very spiritual band. Head is/was neither.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #211
Level 7 - Loquacious

It really wouldn't be close because Maynard is very spiritual and is in a very spiritual band. Head is/was neither.
Melanos's Avatar Melanos
07-29-2006, 11:08 PM

catholic's believe in evolution? since when.... wasnt man created from dust according to them.. and then eve was created from a rib? lol evolution indeed
Old 07-29-2006, 11:08 PM   #212
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

catholic's believe in evolution? since when.... wasnt man created from dust according to them.. and then eve was created from a rib? lol evolution indeed
Melanos's Avatar Melanos
07-29-2006, 11:10 PM

oh yeah... and maynard did find christ, its himself... just like its yourself and myself..... christ (if your talking about jesus) said " i am no differant from any of you, only i have seen the light and you are wandering around in hopeless night". Sorry... but we are all christ if we NEED to be... let go.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:10 PM   #213
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

oh yeah... and maynard did find christ, its himself... just like its yourself and myself..... christ (if your talking about jesus) said " i am no differant from any of you, only i have seen the light and you are wandering around in hopeless night". Sorry... but we are all christ if we NEED to be... let go.
Melanos's Avatar Melanos
07-29-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:

head left Korn... hmmm i recall him saying that music (Korn) was "meaningless in my life, i am beyond that".

research please...........
Old 07-29-2006, 11:12 PM   #214
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

head left Korn... hmmm i recall him saying that music (Korn) was "meaningless in my life, i am beyond that".

Melanos's Avatar Melanos
07-29-2006, 11:17 PM

and one more thing..... "beliefs are dangerous they allow the mind to stop functioning etc etc.." didnt they say believe in nothing? hmmm kinda puts a new thought in your head lol :P
Old 07-29-2006, 11:17 PM   #215
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

and one more thing..... "beliefs are dangerous they allow the mind to stop functioning etc etc.." didnt they say believe in nothing? hmmm kinda puts a new thought in your head lol :P
07-30-2006, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanos

I know that. Maynard finding Jesus would be different because Maynard is a very spiritual person and in a spiritual band. Head wasn't a spiritual person and was not in a spiritual band. That's why it's different, that's what I was saying.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:37 AM   #216
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanos

I know that. Maynard finding Jesus would be different because Maynard is a very spiritual person and in a spiritual band. Head wasn't a spiritual person and was not in a spiritual band. That's why it's different, that's what I was saying.
07-30-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00LHEAD
Why is that? Who made you the chosen one and said let blanket know all, and be the judge of the all knowing. Go fuck yourself and your close minded thoughts; They are not any better then mine, his or hers.
Sure, and maybe the Dali Lama will find Jesus soon, too. Because him, Head, and Maynard all have the same propensity and likelihood of converting to Christianity.

Having different opinions is one thing. Telling people that they are close-minded for pointing out logical contradictions to your opinion is fucking ignorant. Sorry if logic bruises the ego and poorly-thought-out opinions and posts. Blame the gods.

Quote:
O.K. done with this thread. Open minds are closed in here.
So long, we wish you well. At least you tried. Goodbye.

Last edited by BlanketEffect; 07-30-2006 at 08:11 AM..
Old 07-30-2006, 08:04 AM   #217
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Why is that? Who made you the chosen one and said let blanket know all, and be the judge of the all knowing. Go fuck yourself and your close minded thoughts; They are not any better then mine, his or hers.
Sure, and maybe the Dali Lama will find Jesus soon, too. Because him, Head, and Maynard all have the same propensity and likelihood of converting to Christianity.

Having different opinions is one thing. Telling people that they are close-minded for pointing out logical contradictions to your opinion is fucking ignorant. Sorry if logic bruises the ego and poorly-thought-out opinions and posts. Blame the gods.

Quote:
So long, we wish you well. At least you tried. Goodbye.

Last edited by BlanketEffect; 07-30-2006 at 08:11 AM..
07-30-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I came off like a shithead. Your points are well taken. It was ingnorant off me. Logic is logic, who am I to say different.
Good man. Didn't mean to be as callous as I was. Now let's get back on track.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #218
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Sorry, I came off like a shithead. Your points are well taken. It was ingnorant off me. Logic is logic, who am I to say different.
Good man. Didn't mean to be as callous as I was. Now let's get back on track.

bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
07-30-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini108
You can't prove the non-existance of god. If your reason for not believing in god is because so many bad things happen in this world...Maybe bad things happen to people purely because thats what they deserve... Its called karma...and its basically the mathematics of action and reaction. Its simple... No one is innocent...as maynard says.
You've done something in this life or in a past life to deserve all the shit you go through...the good and the bad. So quite fuckin blame shifting...
Yeah I'm going to have to disagree with the whole karma thing here. A sweet little six year old that dies in a car accident deserves it huh?

There is no such thing as karma. You can kill someone or you can give all you time, heart and money to charity and end up with the same fates.

"Bad" things happen because that is the way the world is supposed to work. God or not, it was never said that a perfect world was created. The world is a constantly changing place of positives and negatives that are always pushing and pulling eachother to balance. Humans are only one part of that. We are as much a part of the positive and negative as the the stars, the oceans, the plants, the black holes... and so on. We move along in the same way. Nothing is truely "bad" or "good," it just is as it is.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:41 PM   #219
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini108
You can't prove the non-existance of god. If your reason for not believing in god is because so many bad things happen in this world...Maybe bad things happen to people purely because thats what they deserve... Its called karma...and its basically the mathematics of action and reaction. Its simple... No one is innocent...as maynard says.
You've done something in this life or in a past life to deserve all the shit you go through...the good and the bad. So quite fuckin blame shifting...
Yeah I'm going to have to disagree with the whole karma thing here. A sweet little six year old that dies in a car accident deserves it huh?

There is no such thing as karma. You can kill someone or you can give all you time, heart and money to charity and end up with the same fates.

"Bad" things happen because that is the way the world is supposed to work. God or not, it was never said that a perfect world was created. The world is a constantly changing place of positives and negatives that are always pushing and pulling eachother to balance. Humans are only one part of that. We are as much a part of the positive and negative as the the stars, the oceans, the plants, the black holes... and so on. We move along in the same way. Nothing is truely "bad" or "good," it just is as it is.
07-30-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Karma isn't that farfetched. No matter what belief structure or philosophical view I've examined I always come back to cause and effect; and, that's all karma is. It's on a personal level, but also on a collective level. So no, that little girl didn't deserve it. But the echoes of past actions/reacitons cause things. And not everything is karma. Some things are simply random chance. But even those random chances are all caused by cause and effect.

If (G)od doesn't get involved with things and simply set them in motion then karma is the logical system by which things occur. Karma is really just spiritual/emotional cause and effect, but on a universal level.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:51 PM   #220
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Karma isn't that farfetched. No matter what belief structure or philosophical view I've examined I always come back to cause and effect; and, that's all karma is. It's on a personal level, but also on a collective level. So no, that little girl didn't deserve it. But the echoes of past actions/reacitons cause things. And not everything is karma. Some things are simply random chance. But even those random chances are all caused by cause and effect.

If (G)od doesn't get involved with things and simply set them in motion then karma is the logical system by which things occur. Karma is really just spiritual/emotional cause and effect, but on a universal level.

07-31-2006, 01:52 AM

Quote:
true, so yeah, i guess he probably is a catholic scientologist
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK
I am not a scientologist nor should anyone else be.
Who the hell is MJK? And what the fuck does he know anyway?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:52 AM   #221
Banned.

Quote:
true, so yeah, i guess he probably is a catholic scientologist
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK
I am not a scientologist nor should anyone else be.
Who the hell is MJK? And what the fuck does he know anyway?
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
07-31-2006, 04:12 AM

Quote:

I agree with cause and effect, but that is very different from karma. You misinterpreted the wikipedia definition.

Cause and effect is a given in this world, for every action there is a reaction. However, karma is "what you give out, you get back" often times threefold. That is not always the case. Good behavior doesn't always reap reward and bad behavior doesn't always assume punishment.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:12 AM   #222
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:

I agree with cause and effect, but that is very different from karma. You misinterpreted the wikipedia definition.

Cause and effect is a given in this world, for every action there is a reaction. However, karma is "what you give out, you get back" often times threefold. That is not always the case. Good behavior doesn't always reap reward and bad behavior doesn't always assume punishment.
paraflux
07-31-2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:
True, if having an opinion different from yours means people are closed minded. Christ.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:38 AM   #223
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
True, if having an opinion different from yours means people are closed minded. Christ.
07-31-2006, 06:29 PM

http://www.reference.com/browse/columbia/karma

karma or karman (kär′ mə, kär′ mən), [Skt.,=action, work, or ritual], basic concept common to Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. The doctrine of karma states that one's state in this life is a result of actions (both physical and mental) in past incarnations, and action in this life can determine one's destiny in future incarnations. Karma is a natural, impersonal law of moral cause and effect and has no connection with the idea of a supreme power that decrees punishment or forgiveness of sins. Karmic law is universally applicable, and only those who have attained liberation from rebirth, called mukti (or moksha) or nirvana, can transcend it. Karma yoga (see yoga), the spiritual discipline of detachment from the results of action, is a famous teaching of the Bhagavad-Gita.

Since I myself follow the karma yoga path of Vedanta, I feel a certain compulsion to bring it to light.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:29 PM   #224
Level 8 - Vociferous

http://www.reference.com/browse/columbia/karma

karma or karman (kär′ mə, kär′ mən), [Skt.,=action, work, or ritual], basic concept common to Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. The doctrine of karma states that one's state in this life is a result of actions (both physical and mental) in past incarnations, and action in this life can determine one's destiny in future incarnations. Karma is a natural, impersonal law of moral cause and effect and has no connection with the idea of a supreme power that decrees punishment or forgiveness of sins. Karmic law is universally applicable, and only those who have attained liberation from rebirth, called mukti (or moksha) or nirvana, can transcend it. Karma yoga (see yoga), the spiritual discipline of detachment from the results of action, is a famous teaching of the Bhagavad-Gita.

Since I myself follow the karma yoga path of Vedanta, I feel a certain compulsion to bring it to light.

2and46's Avatar 2and46
07-31-2006, 07:16 PM

Has anyone ever heard of symbolism? Maynard uses this literary strategy often.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:16 PM   #225
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

07-31-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and47
Teach us, oh wise one.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:17 PM   #226
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and47
Teach us, oh wise one.
eleventh minute
08-01-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkard
What I've noticed about this song is that it is not constitent with the Southern Baptist beliefs Maynard was raised with. Baptists reject evolution. They also reject Free Will, believing in pre-destination.

It would seem from this song (and 10,000 days) that Maynard has converted to Catholism. Catholics are the big propents of Free Will and they also believe in evolution.

Also note that the Catholic Church took a big stand against the U.S.'s war on the Iraqi people. The last pope released three statements rejecting the concept of pre-emptive war in the lead-up to the invasion of Iraq.

The Catholic Church also rejects materialism emphasizing the need to give to the needy. In fact, the Catholic Church teaches that the two great evils of the world are extreme Communism and extreme Capitalism.

Also, in the song 10,000 days he emphasizes that his mother should get into Heaven based on good works that she has performed. Catholism is unique among Christian religion in believing that one achieves salvation through faith and good works. All other Christian religions that I know of teach that one gets into heaven by faith in Christ alone.

P.S. Any Tool fans who would like to know more about the Catholic Church may feel free to P.M. or just ask over the forum.

There are too many fucking things wrong with this post. Go punish yourself.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #227
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Location: according to quantum theory, a part of me is somewhere, we just dont know where or how much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkard
What I've noticed about this song is that it is not constitent with the Southern Baptist beliefs Maynard was raised with. Baptists reject evolution. They also reject Free Will, believing in pre-destination.

It would seem from this song (and 10,000 days) that Maynard has converted to Catholism. Catholics are the big propents of Free Will and they also believe in evolution.

Also note that the Catholic Church took a big stand against the U.S.'s war on the Iraqi people. The last pope released three statements rejecting the concept of pre-emptive war in the lead-up to the invasion of Iraq.

The Catholic Church also rejects materialism emphasizing the need to give to the needy. In fact, the Catholic Church teaches that the two great evils of the world are extreme Communism and extreme Capitalism.

Also, in the song 10,000 days he emphasizes that his mother should get into Heaven based on good works that she has performed. Catholism is unique among Christian religion in believing that one achieves salvation through faith and good works. All other Christian religions that I know of teach that one gets into heaven by faith in Christ alone.

P.S. Any Tool fans who would like to know more about the Catholic Church may feel free to P.M. or just ask over the forum.

There are too many fucking things wrong with this post. Go punish yourself.
08-01-2006, 01:57 PM

once, when the Catholic Church was selling indulgences (scraps and bits rifled from past saints) to their congregation as a means of releasing their dead ancestors from Purgatory and ushering them through the gates, spaghetti was a thing of legend and epic tales.

now, both are as common-place and disquieting as the warm sandwich i forgot to eat and left on the counter for the last 4 hours.

when I eat my spaghetti, i use a spoon. that does not make me anglican. it might, if analyzed long enough using the odd random Google search (eg. "spoon" and "religious iconography"), make me taoist and I wouldn't argue.... i just might use my spoon a little more wisely in the future.

i think the whole point of 10,000 days is to market flourescent lighting.

Last edited by ObiJohnKenobi; 08-02-2006 at 08:42 AM..
Old 08-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #228
Banned.

Bincount™: 3532

once, when the Catholic Church was selling indulgences (scraps and bits rifled from past saints) to their congregation as a means of releasing their dead ancestors from Purgatory and ushering them through the gates, spaghetti was a thing of legend and epic tales.

now, both are as common-place and disquieting as the warm sandwich i forgot to eat and left on the counter for the last 4 hours.

when I eat my spaghetti, i use a spoon. that does not make me anglican. it might, if analyzed long enough using the odd random Google search (eg. "spoon" and "religious iconography"), make me taoist and I wouldn't argue.... i just might use my spoon a little more wisely in the future.

Last edited by ObiJohnKenobi; 08-02-2006 at 08:42 AM..
08-02-2006, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohnKenobi
once, when the Catholic Church was selling indulgences (scraps and bits rifled from past saints) to their congregation as a means of realeasing their dead ancestors from Purgatory and ushering them through the gates, spaghetti was a thing of legend and epic tales.

*falls over laughing*

Old 08-02-2006, 06:27 AM   #229
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
once, when the Catholic Church was selling indulgences (scraps and bits rifled from past saints) to their congregation as a means of realeasing their dead ancestors from Purgatory and ushering them through the gates, spaghetti was a thing of legend and epic tales.

*falls over laughing*

eleventh minute
08-02-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Finally! someone who knows what they're talking about! thank you.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:36 AM   #230
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Location: according to quantum theory, a part of me is somewhere, we just dont know where or how much.

Quote:

08-02-2006, 08:45 AM

i misspelled "releasing"
Old 08-02-2006, 08:45 AM   #231
Banned.

i misspelled "releasing"
paraflux
08-02-2006, 08:46 AM

You still made an admin's signature
Old 08-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #232
Banned.

ObiJohnKenobi's Avatar ObiJohnKenobi
08-02-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux

contemplating....

contemplating...

okay i give up. Does that mean i'm on a "timeout"? banned from meatballs and sauce? or is it something good?

contemplating...

oh hey. as nietzsche once said, "the visionary lies to himself, the liar only to others. when you click enough hyper-links you will find the truth behind the visions and lies", so i clicked a few and found something.

its only the 2nd of august you realize.... That is a tall order for mongrel like myself. there are no obligations of service are there?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:07 AM   #233
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux

contemplating....

contemplating...

okay i give up. Does that mean i'm on a "timeout"? banned from meatballs and sauce? or is it something good?

contemplating...

oh hey. as nietzsche once said, "the visionary lies to himself, the liar only to others. when you click enough hyper-links you will find the truth behind the visions and lies", so i clicked a few and found something.

its only the 2nd of august you realize.... That is a tall order for mongrel like myself. there are no obligations of service are there?
paraflux
08-02-2006, 09:09 AM

Um, all it means is that you made it into my signature... check it out? No obligations necessary...
Old 08-02-2006, 09:09 AM   #234
Banned.

Um, all it means is that you made it into my signature... check it out? No obligations necessary...
ObiJohnKenobi's Avatar ObiJohnKenobi
08-02-2006, 09:35 AM

it's just that for such a simple post

"You still made an admin's signature"

i had to do a LOT of thinking... maybe its just the lack of coffee or the fact that "made an admin's signature" sounds kind of ominous for a new guy like me either way, all's good now... i'm done with the digressing.

many thanks.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #235
Banned.

it's just that for such a simple post

"You still made an admin's signature"

i had to do a LOT of thinking... maybe its just the lack of coffee or the fact that "made an admin's signature" sounds kind of ominous for a new guy like me either way, all's good now... i'm done with the digressing.

many thanks.
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
08-19-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackschapman View Post
The funny part about all this, is that everyone thinks there right, and nobody is going to change. Its pathetic really because nobody here actually has an open mind in any way... the simple fact is that in order to have an open mind you have to accept the fact that there is no truths. Yes I already know this statement contradicts itself, blah blah blah. But by calling anyone closed minded, ignorant or anything of the sort, you yourself are putting yourself above that person. You are also refusing the ideas of that person and therefore "shutting off your mind to their ideas" IE, close-minded. I know that not everyone is here is close-minded and ignorant but it has to make the true tool fans crazy when they see people making statements as if it were the absolute truth. Think, Listen, Read, Communicate. The great words from Pluribus Enigma. Tool said the same thing, Communicate. We can't communicate if all we do is talk and not listen. A communication is two way conversation that involves listening and understanding. stop making statements about the existance of God, he cannot be scientifically prooven or disprooven. and for all anyone here knows, you could be in the truman show and all this is just one big show and everyone is watching! Suck on that!
I appreciate the spirit of your post, yet at the same time, I scoff at it's shortsighted idealism. By extension of your argument, people would not be able to use the exchange of ideas to determine that genocide is wrong- at least not without being closed-minded. There are certain philosophical truths that must act as a cornerstone for one's frame of reference. I personally prefer the model set forward by the framers of the American Constitution- the inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness- unfortunately the application never seems to be as genuine as the idea, alas.

But I digress . . . The point is that in order to exchange ideas, people must make assertions that maintain that another's stance is wrong; a person does not become truly closed-minded until (s)he refuses to acknowledge that there exist other valid ways to percieve things than his or her own model.

But why does closed-minded have to have such a negative connotation? When applied in the right circumstances, a closed mind is a valuable asset. For instance, rape sucks. I will never rape anybody. I will never condone rape. As far as my mind is concerned on rape- well, let's just say that it's closed. And I am not only glad about that, I proudly announce it to the world. Obviously it is bad to come to a point in one's life wherein one's mind is closed to ANY new ideas (or is that a closed-minded statement, too?), on that point we find agreement. But to label a person closed-minded because that person's own analytical introspection has led him or her to a deeply maintained principal on a debateable issue- a conviction from which (s)he will never be shaken, even- seems shortsighted.

If a person wants to deny the existence of god and to acclaim that denial as fact, I cannot necessarily label that person as closed-minded. His or her mind may be closed on the topic- and I may disagree with that closure, but that is not evidence of a full closure. It seems to me sometimes (often in frustration) that an open-minded person must arrive at the conclusion that the existence of deity (in whatever form) can neither be proven nor refuted- after all, my open mind leads me to that conclusion. But that is the kind of thinking that I find to be truly closed-minded. However, I feel quite secure in my open-mindedness when I say that the God implied by Christianity DOES NOT FUCKING EXIST! If I had no backup for such a statement, then maybe it would be fair to label me closed-minded. However, I have plenty of rational inferences and historical facts to corroborate my belief. In fact, that belief- or that closure of the mind- is the result of a decades-long litany of open-minded thought (the details of which are posted all over this forum, so I will not bore people with it again).

The point is that open-minded is overrated, because so many people think that you have to be open-minded in every discussion; in every life-application; to every idea; to every cultural tenet . . . Aristotle once said that "virtue lies within the means of two extremes (or some such- I probably shouldn't have used quotation marks)," and that is a brilliant piece of philosophy. We have a word for the extreme extension of open-mindedness . . . Indecisiveness. The truly open-minded person must be able to identify the proper time to close his or her mind on a certain topic, or (s)he will never be able to acquire the principles or convictions that form the individual identity, and will never find their own ultimate truths.

And as deities (each and every one of us), ultimate truths are all we have.
But I'll pull through
Old 08-19-2006, 05:49 PM   #236
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackschapman View Post
The funny part about all this, is that everyone thinks there right, and nobody is going to change. Its pathetic really because nobody here actually has an open mind in any way... the simple fact is that in order to have an open mind you have to accept the fact that there is no truths. Yes I already know this statement contradicts itself, blah blah blah. But by calling anyone closed minded, ignorant or anything of the sort, you yourself are putting yourself above that person. You are also refusing the ideas of that person and therefore "shutting off your mind to their ideas" IE, close-minded. I know that not everyone is here is close-minded and ignorant but it has to make the true tool fans crazy when they see people making statements as if it were the absolute truth. Think, Listen, Read, Communicate. The great words from Pluribus Enigma. Tool said the same thing, Communicate. We can't communicate if all we do is talk and not listen. A communication is two way conversation that involves listening and understanding. stop making statements about the existance of God, he cannot be scientifically prooven or disprooven. and for all anyone here knows, you could be in the truman show and all this is just one big show and everyone is watching! Suck on that!
I appreciate the spirit of your post, yet at the same time, I scoff at it's shortsighted idealism. By extension of your argument, people would not be able to use the exchange of ideas to determine that genocide is wrong- at least not without being closed-minded. There are certain philosophical truths that must act as a cornerstone for one's frame of reference. I personally prefer the model set forward by the framers of the American Constitution- the inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness- unfortunately the application never seems to be as genuine as the idea, alas.

But I digress . . . The point is that in order to exchange ideas, people must make assertions that maintain that another's stance is wrong; a person does not become truly closed-minded until (s)he refuses to acknowledge that there exist other valid ways to percieve things than his or her own model.

But why does closed-minded have to have such a negative connotation? When applied in the right circumstances, a closed mind is a valuable asset. For instance, rape sucks. I will never rape anybody. I will never condone rape. As far as my mind is concerned on rape- well, let's just say that it's closed. And I am not only glad about that, I proudly announce it to the world. Obviously it is bad to come to a point in one's life wherein one's mind is closed to ANY new ideas (or is that a closed-minded statement, too?), on that point we find agreement. But to label a person closed-minded because that person's own analytical introspection has led him or her to a deeply maintained principal on a debateable issue- a conviction from which (s)he will never be shaken, even- seems shortsighted.

If a person wants to deny the existence of god and to acclaim that denial as fact, I cannot necessarily label that person as closed-minded. His or her mind may be closed on the topic- and I may disagree with that closure, but that is not evidence of a full closure. It seems to me sometimes (often in frustration) that an open-minded person must arrive at the conclusion that the existence of deity (in whatever form) can neither be proven nor refuted- after all, my open mind leads me to that conclusion. But that is the kind of thinking that I find to be truly closed-minded. However, I feel quite secure in my open-mindedness when I say that the God implied by Christianity DOES NOT FUCKING EXIST! If I had no backup for such a statement, then maybe it would be fair to label me closed-minded. However, I have plenty of rational inferences and historical facts to corroborate my belief. In fact, that belief- or that closure of the mind- is the result of a decades-long litany of open-minded thought (the details of which are posted all over this forum, so I will not bore people with it again).

The point is that open-minded is overrated, because so many people think that you have to be open-minded in every discussion; in every life-application; to every idea; to every cultural tenet . . . Aristotle once said that "virtue lies within the means of two extremes (or some such- I probably shouldn't have used quotation marks)," and that is a brilliant piece of philosophy. We have a word for the extreme extension of open-mindedness . . . Indecisiveness. The truly open-minded person must be able to identify the proper time to close his or her mind on a certain topic, or (s)he will never be able to acquire the principles or convictions that form the individual identity, and will never find their own ultimate truths.

And as deities (each and every one of us), ultimate truths are all we have.
But I'll pull through
Kerub's Avatar Kerub
08-19-2006, 06:15 PM

If you're going to apply 'closed mindedness' to every aspect of life, then yes, in some instances it could be good. An opinion on whether god is real or not- whether someone believes it to be fact or not- is still not a fact. It's an opionion, and being so closed minded to the point that you are delusional about what is reality and what is reality in your mind is not healthy. You may choose to believe in god or not believe, but it's not one's place to tell other people that it's factual as one would have no such proof. I'm pretty sure that the previous poster intended his comments to be directed specifically toward this forum, in which some people tend to think they have the real meaning of every song in mind, and that their interpretation is the best. In this context closed mindedness IS a bad thing- primarily because you get people in here discussing their opinions and feelings and a refusal to understand/believe that anyone else could feel something different and it still be right. It becomes an unfounded pissing match over something that neither participant will ever know the true meaning of- because they again are discussing OPINIONS on someone else's work. I think all of us are well aware that no tool fan will be given true insight to what a tool song really means, because it is meant for us to take it how we will and apply it to our lives as we wish. No two people are going to have the same interpretation so having that closed minded mentality only serves imply that one thinks his interpretation is better or smarter than anyone elses. You have to keep in mind that there is no right or wrong when it comes to opinions, and just because you see a song in a different light that someone else does not mean than what you heard, what you took from that song was 'right', it was simply right for YOU. It's also interesting sometimes to hear someone elses' take on lyrics and what they mean, if your mind is not closed, you might find something new in that song that you never thought was there...

Edit: One more thought- being closed minded is something that all of us experience at some time or another. As you said, we all close our mind to certain topics at some point. It's how you use it, and how you treat other people regarding your mindset that are important.

Last edited by Kerub; 08-19-2006 at 06:36 PM..
Old 08-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #237
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

If you're going to apply 'closed mindedness' to every aspect of life, then yes, in some instances it could be good. An opinion on whether god is real or not- whether someone believes it to be fact or not- is still not a fact. It's an opionion, and being so closed minded to the point that you are delusional about what is reality and what is reality in your mind is not healthy. You may choose to believe in god or not believe, but it's not one's place to tell other people that it's factual as one would have no such proof. I'm pretty sure that the previous poster intended his comments to be directed specifically toward this forum, in which some people tend to think they have the real meaning of every song in mind, and that their interpretation is the best. In this context closed mindedness IS a bad thing- primarily because you get people in here discussing their opinions and feelings and a refusal to understand/believe that anyone else could feel something different and it still be right. It becomes an unfounded pissing match over something that neither participant will ever know the true meaning of- because they again are discussing OPINIONS on someone else's work. I think all of us are well aware that no tool fan will be given true insight to what a tool song really means, because it is meant for us to take it how we will and apply it to our lives as we wish. No two people are going to have the same interpretation so having that closed minded mentality only serves imply that one thinks his interpretation is better or smarter than anyone elses. You have to keep in mind that there is no right or wrong when it comes to opinions, and just because you see a song in a different light that someone else does not mean than what you heard, what you took from that song was 'right', it was simply right for YOU. It's also interesting sometimes to hear someone elses' take on lyrics and what they mean, if your mind is not closed, you might find something new in that song that you never thought was there...

Edit: One more thought- being closed minded is something that all of us experience at some time or another. As you said, we all close our mind to certain topics at some point. It's how you use it, and how you treat other people regarding your mindset that are important.

Last edited by Kerub; 08-19-2006 at 06:36 PM..
undertoes
08-19-2006, 06:28 PM

I just wanna note that the OP's name is Drunkard. That is all.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #238
Banned.

Bincount™: 77

I just wanna note that the OP's name is Drunkard. That is all.
Kerub's Avatar Kerub
08-19-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleventh minute View Post
LOL... I wholeheartedly agree!
Old 08-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #239
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleventh minute View Post
LOL... I wholeheartedly agree!
nmayhew's Avatar nmayhew
08-23-2006, 12:51 AM

waste of time.....opinons would be respected a lot more if words such as "is" didn't exist!!! (maynard "is" (blank)...tool "is" (blank).....religion "is" (blank)) you have no idea what "is" or "isn't" and neither do i. please, if you want to express an opinion, leave the "is" out of the opinion. NO ONE can be all-knowing.

Last edited by nmayhew; 08-23-2006 at 12:54 AM..
Old 08-23-2006, 12:51 AM   #240
Level 4 - Thinker

waste of time.....opinons would be respected a lot more if words such as "is" didn't exist!!! (maynard "is" (blank)...tool "is" (blank).....religion "is" (blank)) you have no idea what "is" or "isn't" and neither do i. please, if you want to express an opinion, leave the "is" out of the opinion. NO ONE can be all-knowing.

Last edited by nmayhew; 08-23-2006 at 12:54 AM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply