Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
dedalus's Avatar dedalus
06-11-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuceman
I have a better idea. Box yourself up in a crate that has had the shipping arranged and paid for and is addressed to Baghdad, Iraq. Be sure not to post anything on message boards until you return.

Which, ideally, you won't...and if there's enough room you can stuff Submachine in there as well.

I updated my post, check it out. Much love for you there.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #41
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Formal Apology Issued...

Quote:
I have a better idea. Box yourself up in a crate that has had the shipping arranged and paid for and is addressed to Baghdad, Iraq. Be sure not to post anything on message boards until you return.

Which, ideally, you won't...and if there's enough room you can stuff Submachine in there as well.

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
deuceman's Avatar deuceman
06-11-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine
That is not how I listen to music, including Aenima and Lateralus. The music I listen to is not about stillness, it is about movement, that is what Aenima and Lateralus (and Vicarious) does more than any other. To put it another way, Rosetta Stoned will bore a crowd for the first 7 minutes, as they wait for the last 4 minutes. .
You are the most disagreeable, unwavering, opinionated person posting on this forum. I constantly encounter your posts everywhere, and they are always the same: total opposite of whatever anybody else has to say. Purely and simply for the sake of it. You have chosen to go through the only life you will ever live arguing and disagreeing with everybody else. I seriously doubt your sincerity for the most part. It's just not possible to disagree with all and every opinion.

The saddest and most pitiful way to seek attention is by disagreeing or attempting to create conflict.

In summary, I shall now quote from Jambi, and add a line of my own:

Silently, just save your poison,
And when you've saved enough, consume it.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #42
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367

Quote:
That is not how I listen to music, including Aenima and Lateralus. The music I listen to is not about stillness, it is about movement, that is what Aenima and Lateralus (and Vicarious) does more than any other. To put it another way, Rosetta Stoned will bore a crowd for the first 7 minutes, as they wait for the last 4 minutes. .
You are the most disagreeable, unwavering, opinionated person posting on this forum. I constantly encounter your posts everywhere, and they are always the same: total opposite of whatever anybody else has to say. Purely and simply for the sake of it. You have chosen to go through the only life you will ever live arguing and disagreeing with everybody else. I seriously doubt your sincerity for the most part. It's just not possible to disagree with all and every opinion.

The saddest and most pitiful way to seek attention is by disagreeing or attempting to create conflict.

In summary, I shall now quote from Jambi, and add a line of my own:

Silently, just save your poison,
And when you've saved enough, consume it.
submachine's Avatar submachine
06-11-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
I'm vomiting. Most Tool fans do this to me. For every Tool release, there are people like this. In fact, Deuceman (who started this thread), only two weeks or so ago, started a beauty of a thread entitled "D Day...06/06/06 - In just 7 days it will be June 6th, 2006 and I believe something very cool is going to happen." (Now on the Socialize forum).

In the thread, he makes the claim that something just *has* to come out on 6/6/6 because although he likes the album, he thinks it is somehow subpar.
hahaha, thats classic

Quote:
So, I guess I was wrong, it didn't take Deuceman a couple of months to *figure* out how to like this album - it only took him three days since my post. It's pretty clear that when the 6/6/6 bubble burst, a lot of these silly people decided that they had better start liking this new album, because it is all they're gonna get... which most of us have been telling them for the past two months..
Schooled! But deuceman is not a "Tool fan", he only accepts TooL by default, ie because nothing 'fabulous' happened on 6/6/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceman
Apology Issued
Unaccepted. Learn your lesson, and as its been strongly suggested, don't return until you do.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #43
On Probation

Bincount™: 163

Quote:
I'm vomiting. Most Tool fans do this to me. For every Tool release, there are people like this. In fact, Deuceman (who started this thread), only two weeks or so ago, started a beauty of a thread entitled "D Day...06/06/06 - In just 7 days it will be June 6th, 2006 and I believe something very cool is going to happen." (Now on the Socialize forum).

In the thread, he makes the claim that something just *has* to come out on 6/6/6 because although he likes the album, he thinks it is somehow subpar.
hahaha, thats classic

Quote:
So, I guess I was wrong, it didn't take Deuceman a couple of months to *figure* out how to like this album - it only took him three days since my post. It's pretty clear that when the 6/6/6 bubble burst, a lot of these silly people decided that they had better start liking this new album, because it is all they're gonna get... which most of us have been telling them for the past two months..
Schooled! But deuceman is not a "Tool fan", he only accepts TooL by default, ie because nothing 'fabulous' happened on 6/6/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceman
Apology Issued
Unaccepted. Learn your lesson, and as its been strongly suggested, don't return until you do.
06-12-2006, 01:33 AM

Quote:
I beg to differ. All you're attempting to do is impress upon me your delusional belief that you and Submachine are superior to the rest of us.

Why did I entitle this post Formal Apology Issued? Because I have seen the error of my ways. I am revoking my earlier posts and remarks that were negative or questioned the band's commitment to this new album.

It has nothing to do with being a "silly person" who now realises there is no other album so I'd better start enjoying this one. It's about integrity, honesty, being able to admit I was wrong, and now being at peace for not having to agonise over whether this album is better, worse, inferior, superior, blah, blah, etc.

The sad thing is that you and Submachine will continue to be tormented by this album long after others have taken the time to appreciate it's greatness. Some will never understand and will give up. You two don't even have the luxury of the latter option, because neither of you could walk away from another insult or beat up session, which you encounter here on an almost permanent basis. ('Cause you both secretly enjoy it, right?).

I'll even extend my offer regarding shipping yourself to Iraq. I'm willing to kick in some cash to pay the freight. I'm sure I won't be short of offers from others eager to do the same.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:33 AM   #44
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I beg to differ. All you're attempting to do is impress upon me your delusional belief that you and Submachine are superior to the rest of us.

Why did I entitle this post Formal Apology Issued? Because I have seen the error of my ways. I am revoking my earlier posts and remarks that were negative or questioned the band's commitment to this new album.

It has nothing to do with being a "silly person" who now realises there is no other album so I'd better start enjoying this one. It's about integrity, honesty, being able to admit I was wrong, and now being at peace for not having to agonise over whether this album is better, worse, inferior, superior, blah, blah, etc.

The sad thing is that you and Submachine will continue to be tormented by this album long after others have taken the time to appreciate it's greatness. Some will never understand and will give up. You two don't even have the luxury of the latter option, because neither of you could walk away from another insult or beat up session, which you encounter here on an almost permanent basis. ('Cause you both secretly enjoy it, right?).

I'll even extend my offer regarding shipping yourself to Iraq. I'm willing to kick in some cash to pay the freight. I'm sure I won't be short of offers from others eager to do the same.
06-12-2006, 01:41 AM

Quote:
But deuceman is not a "Tool fan", he only accepts TooL by default, ie because nothing 'fabulous' happened on 6/6/6

Boo Hoo, I'm not a TooL fan in Submachine's eyes.....thanks for the compliment.

I'm not apologising to YOU. For that to happen I'd have to be more fucked up than the guy in Rosetta Stoned (which is a great song from start to finish, by the way).

Finally, I won't be learning my lesson or taking any advice from somebody who can't even spell Daedalus.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:41 AM   #45
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
But deuceman is not a "Tool fan", he only accepts TooL by default, ie because nothing 'fabulous' happened on 6/6/6

Boo Hoo, I'm not a TooL fan in Submachine's eyes.....thanks for the compliment.

I'm not apologising to YOU. For that to happen I'd have to be more fucked up than the guy in Rosetta Stoned (which is a great song from start to finish, by the way).

Finally, I won't be learning my lesson or taking any advice from somebody who can't even spell Daedalus.
06-12-2006, 02:11 AM

Quote:
I have to agree, it has to be the best track to open a concert since its probably the only time the crowd would have patience for the dull, repetitive 7 minute intro, winding into the great 4 minute outtro.
It's safe to assume you're not a diabetic, because you miss the point so often that if you were you'd be dead by now...
Old 06-12-2006, 02:11 AM   #46
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I have to agree, it has to be the best track to open a concert since its probably the only time the crowd would have patience for the dull, repetitive 7 minute intro, winding into the great 4 minute outtro.
It's safe to assume you're not a diabetic, because you miss the point so often that if you were you'd be dead by now...
06-12-2006, 02:27 AM

Quote:
you and Submachine are superior to the rest of us.
Superior to you, at the very least. :)

And here's why:

1. I don't have the need to use the term "us" when referring to myself.

2. I never foolishly predicted something 'fabulous' was going to happen 6/6/06

3. When something didn't happen on 6/6/06, I didn't change my opinion on 10000 Days because of that ridiculously false prediction.

Last edited by submachine; 06-12-2006 at 02:30 AM..
Old 06-12-2006, 02:27 AM   #47
On Probation

Quote:
you and Submachine are superior to the rest of us.

And here's why:

3. When something didn't happen on 6/6/06, I didn't change my opinion on 10000 Days because of that ridiculously false prediction.

Last edited by submachine; 06-12-2006 at 02:30 AM..
encrusted's Avatar encrusted
06-12-2006, 02:29 AM

[QUOTE=submachine] To put it another way, Rosetta Stoned will bore a crowd for the first 7 minutes, as they wait for the last 4 minutes. [QUOTE=submachine]

Horseshit - the song smoked in its entirety - as did all the tracks from 10K Days... you haven't seen any of the current tour have you?

I think you're going to be dining on a heaping plate of crow when you do...

Last edited by encrusted; 06-12-2006 at 02:32 AM..
Old 06-12-2006, 02:29 AM   #48
in the fade

Bincount™: 36

[QUOTE=submachine] To put it another way, Rosetta Stoned will bore a crowd for the first 7 minutes, as they wait for the last 4 minutes. [QUOTE=submachine]

Horseshit - the song smoked in its entirety - as did all the tracks from 10K Days... you haven't seen any of the current tour have you?

I think you're going to be dining on a heaping plate of crow when you do...

Last edited by encrusted; 06-12-2006 at 02:32 AM..
06-12-2006, 03:17 AM

Quote:

And here's why:

"Whenever a person finds it necessary to claim superiority, it is more often than not because in actuality they are expressing their own feeling of inferiority".

A quote from your buddy Dawkins. I thought you would have known this already.

Something DID happen on 06/06/06. I located an old Tool bootleg album with some demo and live tracks on it. I'd never heard these versions before, so for me I experienced new Tool that day (No, not like the new Tool you go looking for in certain bars on a Friday or Saturday night).

Going back and listening to the early stuff, in fact all of the albums from beginning to end, helped me on my journey to enlightenment. My realisation that 10,000 Days is as good as all of their other albums. (See, I don't have to rate the albums from best to worst, or apply percentages. All the albums are brilliant. There are just a few songs across the entire discography that I don't like).
Old 06-12-2006, 03:17 AM   #49
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

And here's why:

"Whenever a person finds it necessary to claim superiority, it is more often than not because in actuality they are expressing their own feeling of inferiority".

Something DID happen on 06/06/06. I located an old Tool bootleg album with some demo and live tracks on it. I'd never heard these versions before, so for me I experienced new Tool that day (No, not like the new Tool you go looking for in certain bars on a Friday or Saturday night).

Going back and listening to the early stuff, in fact all of the albums from beginning to end, helped me on my journey to enlightenment. My realisation that 10,000 Days is as good as all of their other albums. (See, I don't have to rate the albums from best to worst, or apply percentages. All the albums are brilliant. There are just a few songs across the entire discography that I don't like).
implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
06-12-2006, 04:57 AM

Quote:
I know. Most people don't like long, rambling posts.
They don't? Man, that means I'll have to make a formal apology too...

Well done, by the way. These guys deserve listeners that are willing to give it a chance.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:57 AM   #50
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

Quote:
I know. Most people don't like long, rambling posts.
They don't? Man, that means I'll have to make a formal apology too...

Well done, by the way. These guys deserve listeners that are willing to give it a chance.
paraflux
06-12-2006, 05:59 AM

Quote:

See, he takes what he likes and discards the rest as if it didnt exist. This is how he is able to be better than everyone else!
Old 06-12-2006, 05:59 AM   #51
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:

See, he takes what he likes and discards the rest as if it didnt exist. This is how he is able to be better than everyone else!
Exegesis's Avatar Exegesis
06-12-2006, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Today I sat through two full cycles of the album, once on home stereo, once on headphones, in order, track 1 to 11, beginning to end, as it was meant to be...

No disturbances. No interruptions. No exterior / ulterior / inferior sounds or interruptions or intrusions. Just me, Tool, my buds, and a couple of beers (okay, 6 or 7 beers).

From this point on I revoke all prior criticism, assertions, doubt, or otherwise negative comments I have made regarding this album. Particularly toward Maynard, and the (now) blasphemous and shameful remark I made questioning his passion or commitment to this album.

I have seen the light. I have crossed over. The men who created this album, Adam, Danny, Justin, Maynard, equal and as one, yet so individual, have blessed us with another chapter (hopefully not the last) of a most remarkable story and an incredible journey that I believe has left an indelible imprint on our souls, our hearts, and our minds.

Thank you, Tool. There has never been, and never will be, anything in this life that
I would trade for having been able to share the same time frame of humankind as yourselves. 20 or 30 years either side and I would have missed it all.
Cool. Glad you can enjoy it!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:12 AM   #52
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 52

Quote:
Today I sat through two full cycles of the album, once on home stereo, once on headphones, in order, track 1 to 11, beginning to end, as it was meant to be...

No disturbances. No interruptions. No exterior / ulterior / inferior sounds or interruptions or intrusions. Just me, Tool, my buds, and a couple of beers (okay, 6 or 7 beers).

From this point on I revoke all prior criticism, assertions, doubt, or otherwise negative comments I have made regarding this album. Particularly toward Maynard, and the (now) blasphemous and shameful remark I made questioning his passion or commitment to this album.

I have seen the light. I have crossed over. The men who created this album, Adam, Danny, Justin, Maynard, equal and as one, yet so individual, have blessed us with another chapter (hopefully not the last) of a most remarkable story and an incredible journey that I believe has left an indelible imprint on our souls, our hearts, and our minds.

Thank you, Tool. There has never been, and never will be, anything in this life that
I would trade for having been able to share the same time frame of humankind as yourselves. 20 or 30 years either side and I would have missed it all.
Cool. Glad you can enjoy it!
06-12-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshy
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=24226

i shit myself reading that, it echoes the 10000 days criticism
Wow, it really does. That's actually pretty mind blowing...
Old 06-12-2006, 08:17 AM   #53
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshy
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=24226

i shit myself reading that, it echoes the 10000 days criticism
Wow, it really does. That's actually pretty mind blowing...
06-12-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf
I actually tend to share this sentiment.
Understandable. That's why this thread exists. I'm admitting I was wrong.

BUT, the part about how I suddenly love the album because I know there's nothing else coming out is completely untrue. Whether anybody believes that or not is their choice. If I wanted to seek glory or attention I wouldn't be trying to obtain it in here. (And I mean no offence by that.)

I'm happy. Whether that's because I'm a dimwit, or whether it's because I unconsciously created a scenario whereby it became possible for me to peacefully place 10,000 Days next to the rest of Tool's albums, doesn't really matter. And the third possibility? That I simply needed time to fully absorb and appreciate the album? Probably this more than any other. In the end it's irrelevant.

I'm no longer agonising over whether I like it or not. Can everybody else say the same?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #54
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf
I actually tend to share this sentiment.
Understandable. That's why this thread exists. I'm admitting I was wrong.

BUT, the part about how I suddenly love the album because I know there's nothing else coming out is completely untrue. Whether anybody believes that or not is their choice. If I wanted to seek glory or attention I wouldn't be trying to obtain it in here. (And I mean no offence by that.)

I'm happy. Whether that's because I'm a dimwit, or whether it's because I unconsciously created a scenario whereby it became possible for me to peacefully place 10,000 Days next to the rest of Tool's albums, doesn't really matter. And the third possibility? That I simply needed time to fully absorb and appreciate the album? Probably this more than any other. In the end it's irrelevant.

I'm no longer agonising over whether I like it or not. Can everybody else say the same?
paraflux
06-12-2006, 08:43 AM

Really, all you have to do to not agonize over it is do what submachine did. Break it down into "good" songs and "bad" songs. In this elementary style of classification, the need to see a big picture is diminished and you can concentrate on individual songs!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 AM   #55
Banned.

Really, all you have to do to not agonize over it is do what submachine did. Break it down into "good" songs and "bad" songs. In this elementary style of classification, the need to see a big picture is diminished and you can concentrate on individual songs!
Weapon's Avatar Weapon
06-12-2006, 08:48 AM

exactly, pretend its that three day's grace cd you like so much
Old 06-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #56
of the unconventional type

Bincount™: 616

exactly, pretend its that three day's grace cd you like so much
06-12-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:

I beg to differ. I've never said I've been tormented by this album. I've never said that I don't like or enjoy this album. I have never been insulted by anyone here. You're the only one that has ever tried to take me on (defending your position that in some way, there would be another album on 6/6/6).

The brutal truth is, I just don't need a decoder ring to figure this, or any other album out. I have a revelation for you: it's just music. You put it on and after a few spins you pretty much know if you like it or you don't. The very fact that I could predict what your "all new and updated" response to this album would be post 6/6/6 (on June 7th), shows how cookie cutter you are.

And about some people never understanding: let me see here... you need two months and some posts about how you don't like the album and expect more, before you realize that no, you actually like the album, you just didn't give it enough time to let it sink in. It's all about integrity, honesty, etc. etc. It's actually all about it just being a record. That's it. No major mental states involved. You just insert and press play. If you happen to put the disc in fairly often, you probably like it. If you find that you don't reach for it after a couple of days and instead put on say, Shogun Kunitoki's "Tasankokaiku," then you probably don't enjoy the album.

Quote:
OK, you're 14 right? That *might* explain everything. Evidently, you're still trying to learn the english language. Please tell me that you realize that Dedalus is a more common spelling than Daedalus? Haven't gotten past Dr. Seuss on your reading list and made it to Joyce yet?

Last edited by dedalus; 06-12-2006 at 09:12 AM..
Old 06-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #57
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

I beg to differ. I've never said I've been tormented by this album. I've never said that I don't like or enjoy this album. I have never been insulted by anyone here. You're the only one that has ever tried to take me on (defending your position that in some way, there would be another album on 6/6/6).

The brutal truth is, I just don't need a decoder ring to figure this, or any other album out. I have a revelation for you: it's just music. You put it on and after a few spins you pretty much know if you like it or you don't. The very fact that I could predict what your "all new and updated" response to this album would be post 6/6/6 (on June 7th), shows how cookie cutter you are.

And about some people never understanding: let me see here... you need two months and some posts about how you don't like the album and expect more, before you realize that no, you actually like the album, you just didn't give it enough time to let it sink in. It's all about integrity, honesty, etc. etc. It's actually all about it just being a record. That's it. No major mental states involved. You just insert and press play. If you happen to put the disc in fairly often, you probably like it. If you find that you don't reach for it after a couple of days and instead put on say, Shogun Kunitoki's "Tasankokaiku," then you probably don't enjoy the album.

Quote:
OK, you're 14 right? That *might* explain everything. Evidently, you're still trying to learn the english language. Please tell me that you realize that Dedalus is a more common spelling than Daedalus? Haven't gotten past Dr. Seuss on your reading list and made it to Joyce yet?

Last edited by dedalus; 06-12-2006 at 09:12 AM..
paraflux
06-12-2006, 09:12 AM

I have a revelation for you: Music in it's true form, a means of communication, is never just arranged sound.

Just thought you would like to hear that, since we seem to be sharing revelations now :)
Old 06-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #58
Banned.

I have a revelation for you: Music in it's true form, a means of communication, is never just arranged sound.

Just thought you would like to hear that, since we seem to be sharing revelations now :)
Xariable's Avatar Xariable
06-12-2006, 09:21 AM

After 2000 Hail Mary's you'll be absolved of your sin . . . go!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #59
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

After 2000 Hail Mary's you'll be absolved of your sin . . . go!
06-12-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Probably didn't elaborate on why the breakthrough / cross-over occurred. Maybe don't even need to, because those who are there already know the reasons why.

Basically I was listening to this album a lot while driving, and yes it was great, I was enjoying it, but something was missing.

Lack of concentration and focus. Once I sat down, played the album from begining to end, just listening, absorbing, I realised just how much substance and how many layers there are in this masterpiece. There is so much going on. You can listen to all four of the artists working together song by song, you can go back and listen all over again and just focus on Danny, or Maynard, or Adam, or Justin. Each is contributing so much and the way they each get to take the lead at various times, then step back and let somebody else step forward. It's hard to explain, but it's incredible to hear.

Then start again, listen to it again, and there's a whole bunch of new stuff you didn't hear before. One of the most amazing things I have noticed is that when played on different systems (car, headphone, home theatre, etc) there are things I'll hear on one that I don't hear on another, especially Maynard's vocals. I can now understand why there is such a diversity of opinion over lyrics: on Rosetta Stoned I can hear "repeat experience", other times "peanuts parents". Mostly "fetal spooning" but once or twice it HAS sounded like "vanilla pudding". And on it goes. Almost like there are multiple layers of vocal tracks (which there are, of course, but besides the obvious ones).

I know. Most people don't like long, rambling posts. So enough said. I just hope others join me in achieving this breakthrough. I know for some it takes just one or two listens, others need much longer. I implore you to keep listening, but more importantly, when listening give 10,000 Days your complete and undivided attention. Just LISTEN. Don't let your mind stray, don't even THINK. Just LISTEN.

And you will see.
Both of your posts are excellent and thousands of others would echo your sentiments if they read your comments and followed through with what they need to do. You're right, there is SO much going on in every song that it takes a month or more and 50+ listens to even begin to understand the scope of it all. And there has to be an inherent willingness within each detractor of 10K Days to LISTEN closer. Many who have already turned a deaf ear aren't likely retrievable. But many are and I urge all of you who are convinced that 10K Days is shit to heed deuce's recommendations. This band stimulates parts of my brain that have never been tickled by any other music in 40+ years of listenting to (and playing) all types of music that exist. Seeing them for the first of nine times in 1993 on the side stage at Lollapalooza I could have never fathomed them getting to this point, but I've stayed on their ride and they're here. Despite the fact that they may not be as rich as they could be with their minute cut of every CD they sell, they have stayed true to themselves and that is why we as fans get to enjoy this awesome music. And whether Adam and Maynard look like it or not, they ARE having a good time bringing their music to you in a live setting. With every show, every knocked-out audience, every new platinum album, their legend grows and grows. It has been fun to be a part of. And now as we watch the years go by, we don't want to ever see it end. Because those of us who know and feel it realize there will never be another band like this in our lifetime. And as Deuceman says, I'm so glad to be alive (and aware) while they are in this (hopefully) two-plus decade period of creating some of the best music ever. They are the Mozarts and Beethovens of rock and roll!! Hail TOOL and ignore the naysayers. Hell, I can remember (back in the Undertow days) when the crowds would be yelling in unison before TOOL came on "cause you're a dumbass belligerent fucker..." Those were the days and so are these. Everyone enjoy!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #60

Quote:
Probably didn't elaborate on why the breakthrough / cross-over occurred. Maybe don't even need to, because those who are there already know the reasons why.

Basically I was listening to this album a lot while driving, and yes it was great, I was enjoying it, but something was missing.

Lack of concentration and focus. Once I sat down, played the album from begining to end, just listening, absorbing, I realised just how much substance and how many layers there are in this masterpiece. There is so much going on. You can listen to all four of the artists working together song by song, you can go back and listen all over again and just focus on Danny, or Maynard, or Adam, or Justin. Each is contributing so much and the way they each get to take the lead at various times, then step back and let somebody else step forward. It's hard to explain, but it's incredible to hear.

Then start again, listen to it again, and there's a whole bunch of new stuff you didn't hear before. One of the most amazing things I have noticed is that when played on different systems (car, headphone, home theatre, etc) there are things I'll hear on one that I don't hear on another, especially Maynard's vocals. I can now understand why there is such a diversity of opinion over lyrics: on Rosetta Stoned I can hear "repeat experience", other times "peanuts parents". Mostly "fetal spooning" but once or twice it HAS sounded like "vanilla pudding". And on it goes. Almost like there are multiple layers of vocal tracks (which there are, of course, but besides the obvious ones).

I know. Most people don't like long, rambling posts. So enough said. I just hope others join me in achieving this breakthrough. I know for some it takes just one or two listens, others need much longer. I implore you to keep listening, but more importantly, when listening give 10,000 Days your complete and undivided attention. Just LISTEN. Don't let your mind stray, don't even THINK. Just LISTEN.

And you will see.
Both of your posts are excellent and thousands of others would echo your sentiments if they read your comments and followed through with what they need to do. You're right, there is SO much going on in every song that it takes a month or more and 50+ listens to even begin to understand the scope of it all. And there has to be an inherent willingness within each detractor of 10K Days to LISTEN closer. Many who have already turned a deaf ear aren't likely retrievable. But many are and I urge all of you who are convinced that 10K Days is shit to heed deuce's recommendations. This band stimulates parts of my brain that have never been tickled by any other music in 40+ years of listenting to (and playing) all types of music that exist. Seeing them for the first of nine times in 1993 on the side stage at Lollapalooza I could have never fathomed them getting to this point, but I've stayed on their ride and they're here. Despite the fact that they may not be as rich as they could be with their minute cut of every CD they sell, they have stayed true to themselves and that is why we as fans get to enjoy this awesome music. And whether Adam and Maynard look like it or not, they ARE having a good time bringing their music to you in a live setting. With every show, every knocked-out audience, every new platinum album, their legend grows and grows. It has been fun to be a part of. And now as we watch the years go by, we don't want to ever see it end. Because those of us who know and feel it realize there will never be another band like this in our lifetime. And as Deuceman says, I'm so glad to be alive (and aware) while they are in this (hopefully) two-plus decade period of creating some of the best music ever. They are the Mozarts and Beethovens of rock and roll!! Hail TOOL and ignore the naysayers. Hell, I can remember (back in the Undertow days) when the crowds would be yelling in unison before TOOL came on "cause you're a dumbass belligerent fucker..." Those were the days and so are these. Everyone enjoy!!!
06-12-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux

True.

It's so annoying when some people think they know what they like and dislike so easily. Music is not "just" music, if it is true art. There is communication and a shared vision that is taking place.

Many of you have been warped by the i-Pod generation to think that songs are just songs, and they don't mean anything or aren't important. It's just another example of how corporations have turned many of you into shallow shells of humanity.

Many have bought into the idea that if they don't "like" something at face value, it must mean its not up to their standards, as if they were some sort of ultimate judge at what is good and bad. To look at music in this American Idol-ish way, is disgusting.

It is entirely possible for someone to really hate an album, and then "see the light" the way deuceman has described. Nobody should be knocking him down for coming out and admitting it.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #61
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux

True.

It's so annoying when some people think they know what they like and dislike so easily. Music is not "just" music, if it is true art. There is communication and a shared vision that is taking place.

Many of you have been warped by the i-Pod generation to think that songs are just songs, and they don't mean anything or aren't important. It's just another example of how corporations have turned many of you into shallow shells of humanity.

Many have bought into the idea that if they don't "like" something at face value, it must mean its not up to their standards, as if they were some sort of ultimate judge at what is good and bad. To look at music in this American Idol-ish way, is disgusting.

It is entirely possible for someone to really hate an album, and then "see the light" the way deuceman has described. Nobody should be knocking him down for coming out and admitting it.
Juzblome
06-12-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVa
so true!

just go outside at night, mp3 player beside you in the grass, masive headphone (to big to take outside :p) a couple of joints and the warm chill night... that's the way you got to listen to this album... if i had the time i would to it every night

welcome to the club duece

You did buy the CD right?

Why the hell would you put effort into listening to MPeePee's?
You have a Fucking CD for god's sake, USE IT!!!

Not trying to offend, just enlighten. MP3's are only good for their convenience and should not be taken seriously as a playback medium. They are disposible 1's and 0's That sound like ass.

If you can't hear the difference...........

I feel sorry for you.

I will however say that your interpretation of a good listening environment is pretty damn good. Just do yourself a favor and go buy a Portable CD player. They sound better, and are cheaper than MP3 players.

If you are playing .wav files from the MP3 player......... Ignore this post. ;)
Old 06-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #62
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVa
so true!

just go outside at night, mp3 player beside you in the grass, masive headphone (to big to take outside :p) a couple of joints and the warm chill night... that's the way you got to listen to this album... if i had the time i would to it every night

welcome to the club duece

You did buy the CD right?

Why the hell would you put effort into listening to MPeePee's?
You have a Fucking CD for god's sake, USE IT!!!

Not trying to offend, just enlighten. MP3's are only good for their convenience and should not be taken seriously as a playback medium. They are disposible 1's and 0's That sound like ass.

If you can't hear the difference...........

I feel sorry for you.

I will however say that your interpretation of a good listening environment is pretty damn good. Just do yourself a favor and go buy a Portable CD player. They sound better, and are cheaper than MP3 players.

If you are playing .wav files from the MP3 player......... Ignore this post. ;)
06-12-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Something DID happen on 06/06/06. I located an old Tool bootleg
You located an old TooL bootleg because you had plenty of time to absorb the fact that nothing happened on 6/6/6, nothing you predicted happened. The only one with any accurate predictions here is dedalus who predicted your flip-flop. And since that was your defining moment, youre probably just going to flip-flop again, and again, and again
Old 06-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #63
On Probation

Quote:
Something DID happen on 06/06/06. I located an old Tool bootleg
You located an old TooL bootleg because you had plenty of time to absorb the fact that nothing happened on 6/6/6, nothing you predicted happened. The only one with any accurate predictions here is dedalus who predicted your flip-flop. And since that was your defining moment, youre probably just going to flip-flop again, and again, and again
guitarpete987
06-12-2006, 02:11 PM

Man, this thread was simply an honest, joyous celebration of someone seeing things in music he hadn't seen before, with peaceful discussion to follow. I had hoped this thread was going to include more neutral discussion and would not degenerate into ANOTHER "This album is better than that album because that album sucks" bashing thread.

Then posts 20 and 21 happened.

So predictable...
Old 06-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #64
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Man, this thread was simply an honest, joyous celebration of someone seeing things in music he hadn't seen before, with peaceful discussion to follow. I had hoped this thread was going to include more neutral discussion and would not degenerate into ANOTHER "This album is better than that album because that album sucks" bashing thread.

So predictable...
dedalus's Avatar dedalus
06-12-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987
So predictable...
...and pathetic. I have no problems with someone coming out and saying they warmed up to an album that they didn't like so much before. However, it's when that someone is a person who spearheaded threads detailing his thoughts on some great and amazing new album theory (re: 6/6/6) comes out and says this sort of thing that I call wanker. It's so clear that his revelation can only be attributed to the fact that nothing happened on that date and he's frantic to find something he loves about an album that he didn't think was so groundbreaking before. Talk about deluding yourself.

I have never compared this album to any of the others in this thread. If that's a reference to submachine, and since a few are so quick to put us in the same league... I've gotta say, at least submachine and I seem to have better spelling and grammar than 99% of the people around here. Curious...

It's always great when someone writes a smart-ass reply with terrible spelling, grammar and punctuation. Doesn't quite have the same intended effect.

Last edited by dedalus; 06-12-2006 at 02:30 PM..
Old 06-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #65
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
So predictable...
...and pathetic. I have no problems with someone coming out and saying they warmed up to an album that they didn't like so much before. However, it's when that someone is a person who spearheaded threads detailing his thoughts on some great and amazing new album theory (re: 6/6/6) comes out and says this sort of thing that I call wanker. It's so clear that his revelation can only be attributed to the fact that nothing happened on that date and he's frantic to find something he loves about an album that he didn't think was so groundbreaking before. Talk about deluding yourself.

I have never compared this album to any of the others in this thread. If that's a reference to submachine, and since a few are so quick to put us in the same league... I've gotta say, at least submachine and I seem to have better spelling and grammar than 99% of the people around here. Curious...

It's always great when someone writes a smart-ass reply with terrible spelling, grammar and punctuation. Doesn't quite have the same intended effect.

Last edited by dedalus; 06-12-2006 at 02:30 PM..
guitarpete987
06-12-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Well, my "so predictable" was playing off what you said but it was more in reference to how threads on these boards seem to fall into this same tired back-and-forth. It's not a direct insult to you, so I apologize if that was the way it was taken.

But how can you REALLY be sure that that's what changed his mind? I am not familiar with whatever prior rantings the OP might have given about the 6/6/6 date but from reading his initial post I didn't get the feeling he was merely falling back on plan B.

And I'm not familiar enough with your viewpoints to know if I cannot stand you, but I am sure that submachine is the most hard-headed, uncompromising venom spewer on these boards. The funny thing is he probably takes that as a compliment. So I'm sorry for putting you in his league; it's just that it was your guys' posts that changed the direction of this thread for what I believe to be the worse.

And I hope that your comment about spelling and grammar wasn't pointed at me. I tend to be pretty lax on this board with such things but I hope my English minor didn't completely go to waste.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #66
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Well, my "so predictable" was playing off what you said but it was more in reference to how threads on these boards seem to fall into this same tired back-and-forth. It's not a direct insult to you, so I apologize if that was the way it was taken.

But how can you REALLY be sure that that's what changed his mind? I am not familiar with whatever prior rantings the OP might have given about the 6/6/6 date but from reading his initial post I didn't get the feeling he was merely falling back on plan B.

And I'm not familiar enough with your viewpoints to know if I cannot stand you, but I am sure that submachine is the most hard-headed, uncompromising venom spewer on these boards. The funny thing is he probably takes that as a compliment. So I'm sorry for putting you in his league; it's just that it was your guys' posts that changed the direction of this thread for what I believe to be the worse.

And I hope that your comment about spelling and grammar wasn't pointed at me. I tend to be pretty lax on this board with such things but I hope my English minor didn't completely go to waste.
06-12-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Hmm, you might be on to something there. I'm not 14 but I've been reading Dr Seuss to my 4 year old daughter. I don't think she's ready for Joyce yet.

In true cookie cutter and thus predictable fashion, I'm ready to quit trading insults with you. I have my views, you have yours. I'm happy to leave it at that.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:45 PM   #67
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Hmm, you might be on to something there. I'm not 14 but I've been reading Dr Seuss to my 4 year old daughter. I don't think she's ready for Joyce yet.

In true cookie cutter and thus predictable fashion, I'm ready to quit trading insults with you. I have my views, you have yours. I'm happy to leave it at that.
trickma's Avatar trickma
06-12-2006, 04:46 PM

After this weekend i also FINALLY gave 10k days the proper listen it deserved and i have to say its brilliant.

Ive liked it all along but now it's getting there up with Lateralus and Aenima.

I think rosetta stoned is probably close to my favourite tool track ever.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #68
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

After this weekend i also FINALLY gave 10k days the proper listen it deserved and i have to say its brilliant.

Ive liked it all along but now it's getting there up with Lateralus and Aenima.

06-12-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
No, I'm finished with the flip-flop, thanks. Unless, of course, you need it in order to keep feeding that dark, empty, rancid little place you call your soul...

Last edited by deuceman; 06-12-2006 at 04:56 PM..
Old 06-12-2006, 04:48 PM   #69
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
No, I'm finished with the flip-flop, thanks. Unless, of course, you need it in order to keep feeding that dark, empty, rancid little place you call your soul...

Last edited by deuceman; 06-12-2006 at 04:56 PM..
guitarpete987
06-12-2006, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickma
It's getting up there for me, too.

It's 10,000 Days' gift that keeps on giving.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #70
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickma
It's getting up there for me, too.

It's 10,000 Days' gift that keeps on giving.
dedalus's Avatar dedalus
06-12-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:

All is good. No harm meant and no harm taken.

Quote:

Agreed. I bury my hatchet here.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:02 PM   #71
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

All is good. No harm meant and no harm taken.

Quote:

hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
06-12-2006, 08:06 PM

beautifui words
thanks for sharing
Old 06-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #72
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

beautifui words
thanks for sharing
06-12-2006, 10:31 PM

glad another one has seen the light. very well said. fucking new tool. nuff said.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #73

Bincount™: 2

glad another one has seen the light. very well said. fucking new tool. nuff said.
06-12-2006, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_Rules
Hit the nail on the head. Glad you are in the same place as me with this. And it's nice to hear from somebody of a similar generation!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #74
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_Rules
Hit the nail on the head. Glad you are in the same place as me with this. And it's nice to hear from somebody of a similar generation!
06-12-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:

So predictable...
Yeah, it would have been nice if it had stayed on topic. I'm partly to blame for pushing back when I should have just ignored the cynics and detractors.

It's a bit like a public swimming pool. You can jump in and have a great time with everybody else but there's always some filthy bastard who pisses in the water...
Old 06-12-2006, 11:04 PM   #75
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

So predictable...
Yeah, it would have been nice if it had stayed on topic. I'm partly to blame for pushing back when I should have just ignored the cynics and detractors.

It's a bit like a public swimming pool. You can jump in and have a great time with everybody else but there's always some filthy bastard who pisses in the water...
06-12-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
That explains why I woke up with a fucking headache...

(joke)

Now, about this album. I'm having second thoughts, especially after reading that something special might be happening on....

('nother joke)

Submachine, care to step this way and bury that hatchet? I'll even let you choose the spot.

(partial joke)
Old 06-12-2006, 11:11 PM   #76
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
That explains why I woke up with a fucking headache...

(joke)

Now, about this album. I'm having second thoughts, especially after reading that something special might be happening on....

('nother joke)

Submachine, care to step this way and bury that hatchet? I'll even let you choose the spot.

(partial joke)
06-13-2006, 03:13 AM

Quote:

(partial joke)
Sure, I'll bury it between your two opposing opinions

:)
Old 06-13-2006, 03:13 AM   #77
On Probation

Quote:

(partial joke)
Sure, I'll bury it between your two opposing opinions

:)
Kinesthesis's Avatar Kinesthesis
06-13-2006, 09:33 AM

Sometimes that's what it's all about. A nice breakthrough in the appreciation. Tool can't and won't let us down. That's the beauty of being a fan.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #78
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Sometimes that's what it's all about. A nice breakthrough in the appreciation. Tool can't and won't let us down. That's the beauty of being a fan.
06-13-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
So predictable.
you're the predictable one. you and submachine have ruined a perfectly cool thread.

what's more predictable than that?

nothing.

it's not even worth mentioning this to you, because you're one of those people that has their head so far up their ass they think EVERYONE smells like shit.

The rest of us don't live in that kind of filth emotionally, mentally, spiritually. Just because you do, doesn't mean that WE all do. You won't convince the rest of us to join you in shitland.

You and submachine enjoy Anus a little too much for your own good I guess. ENJOY!
Old 06-13-2006, 02:12 PM   #79
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
So predictable.
you're the predictable one. you and submachine have ruined a perfectly cool thread.

nothing.

it's not even worth mentioning this to you, because you're one of those people that has their head so far up their ass they think EVERYONE smells like shit.

The rest of us don't live in that kind of filth emotionally, mentally, spiritually. Just because you do, doesn't mean that WE all do. You won't convince the rest of us to join you in shitland.

You and submachine enjoy Anus a little too much for your own good I guess. ENJOY!
dedalus's Avatar dedalus
06-13-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis

nothing.

You're silly.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #80
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis

nothing.

You're silly.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply