Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
Andorion's Avatar Andorion
07-18-2006, 08:22 AM

At 3:37, as the refrain, I hear:

"Cutting it all right in two
cut it all right in two
cutting it all right in two
cutting it all right in two"

with some weird inflection and a silent G on "cutting"
Old 07-18-2006, 08:22 AM   #481
Avatar of the Gods (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 13
Re: 10 - Right In Two lyrics

cut it all right in two

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
07-18-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger10000
yeah.... that's just not cool man, hmm just thought of something... why would maynard sing "Gotta divide it all in two" ? that sounds to me like he is promoting what he is against in the song. If you listen to the lyrics, he says, monkey killin, monkey over pieces, and Where there's one they will divide it right in two.... ok now what i get from this song is that from everything that came about from eating of the apple in the Garden of eden, came selfishness, non-caring, and violence, plus much much more, nothing positive by the way, so it would make more sense to sing "Cut- all i love right in two".... this kinda goes with the thought pattern i have developed for the song. Meaning he is singing the chorus from God's perspective. Why would he sing "Gotta divide it all" when he in fact is upset with the turn out with the garden of eden. Back in those days, there never used to be any dividing of anything, there was always plenty to go around for everyone, cause no one knew property. No one knew "this is mine, go get your own", so why would he promote, "gotta divide it all?? "
Because he (MJK) is saying that despite what god gave us (the garden of eden etc) our free will has brought us down and it's our nature to be selfish and to want what we believe to be ours or what we as humans think we're entitled to.

I think that's the message he's trying to relay throughout the song going from the obvious perspective of the angels point of view. Now I'm trying really hard to hear love, but it's just not apparent to me at all. I'm keeping an open mind to your reasoning because it does have merit, but I don't think the lyrics are "cut all I love right in two", or "cutting our love right in two" because IMHO the theme of "love" is never brought up in the song.

The central theme of the song is how we humans are selfish, and how we'll divide up even the smallest thing to get what ours even if there is "plenty" to go around. And as we progress in our "evolution" over the years, our selfishness grows and continues to the point that we use violence to get what's ours or our share as in the line:

"silly monkeys give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down".

So due to that reasoning, it makes the most sense to me that he's singing "CUTNDIVIDE IT ALL Right in two" but again, other variations like "gotta divide it all right in two" are also possible but because of the way MJK sings it in such an indescernable fashion which I suspect was on purpose to get us to think further and explore the underlying meaning of this song, this won't be settled until the lyrics are officially released.

Last edited by SunBurN; 07-18-2006 at 08:42 AM..
Old 07-18-2006, 08:27 AM   #482
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
yeah.... that's just not cool man, hmm just thought of something... why would maynard sing "Gotta divide it all in two" ? that sounds to me like he is promoting what he is against in the song. If you listen to the lyrics, he says, monkey killin, monkey over pieces, and Where there's one they will divide it right in two.... ok now what i get from this song is that from everything that came about from eating of the apple in the Garden of eden, came selfishness, non-caring, and violence, plus much much more, nothing positive by the way, so it would make more sense to sing "Cut- all i love right in two".... this kinda goes with the thought pattern i have developed for the song. Meaning he is singing the chorus from God's perspective. Why would he sing "Gotta divide it all" when he in fact is upset with the turn out with the garden of eden. Back in those days, there never used to be any dividing of anything, there was always plenty to go around for everyone, cause no one knew property. No one knew "this is mine, go get your own", so why would he promote, "gotta divide it all?? "
Because he (MJK) is saying that despite what god gave us (the garden of eden etc) our free will has brought us down and it's our nature to be selfish and to want what we believe to be ours or what we as humans think we're entitled to.

I think that's the message he's trying to relay throughout the song going from the obvious perspective of the angels point of view. Now I'm trying really hard to hear love, but it's just not apparent to me at all. I'm keeping an open mind to your reasoning because it does have merit, but I don't think the lyrics are "cut all I love right in two", or "cutting our love right in two" because IMHO the theme of "love" is never brought up in the song.

The central theme of the song is how we humans are selfish, and how we'll divide up even the smallest thing to get what ours even if there is "plenty" to go around. And as we progress in our "evolution" over the years, our selfishness grows and continues to the point that we use violence to get what's ours or our share as in the line:

"silly monkeys give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down".

So due to that reasoning, it makes the most sense to me that he's singing "CUTNDIVIDE IT ALL Right in two" but again, other variations like "gotta divide it all right in two" are also possible but because of the way MJK sings it in such an indescernable fashion which I suspect was on purpose to get us to think further and explore the underlying meaning of this song, this won't be settled until the lyrics are officially released.

Last edited by SunBurN; 07-18-2006 at 08:42 AM..
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
07-18-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb
Ranger's point still holds: Why would the song lament at one point that us silly monkeys will DIVIDE anything in two given the opportunity ...

"Plenty in this holy garden, silly monkeys
Where there's one you're bound to DIVIDE it
Right in two"

... and then suggest that the solution is for us to DIVIDE even more and share!?!
Seems like a few guys here don't get the point of this song.

There is plenty of things in Eden. But still the monkeys fight over ONE piece of ground. Every monkey wants to have everything of the ground, instead of giving his brother half and himself half. When there's ONE, you're bound to DIVIDE IT RIGHT IN TWO, That doesn't mean we DO IT, that means, we HAVE to do it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to bash anybody, that's my interpretation and I hope you get my point.

Edit: And if it IS what you mean, like, they DO divide it right in two, then "gotta divide it all" could mean the same thing. ;)

Last edited by Terry21; 07-18-2006 at 08:57 AM..
Old 07-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #483
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

Quote:
Ranger's point still holds: Why would the song lament at one point that us silly monkeys will DIVIDE anything in two given the opportunity ...

"Plenty in this holy garden, silly monkeys
Where there's one you're bound to DIVIDE it
Right in two"

... and then suggest that the solution is for us to DIVIDE even more and share!?!

There is plenty of things in Eden. But still the monkeys fight over ONE piece of ground. Every monkey wants to have everything of the ground, instead of giving his brother half and himself half. When there's ONE, you're bound to DIVIDE IT RIGHT IN TWO, That doesn't mean we DO IT, that means, we HAVE to do it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to bash anybody, that's my interpretation and I hope you get my point.

Edit: And if it IS what you mean, like, they DO divide it right in two, then "gotta divide it all" could mean the same thing. ;)

Last edited by Terry21; 07-18-2006 at 08:57 AM..
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
07-18-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andorion

cut it all right in two

Yea, that's the ticket. That's what I've been singing for a while now. I would have to go with Terry tho, on the other 2 options being argued right now. I just can't go with the 'love' It just doesn't seem to fit....TOOL, Maynard or the song itself....

Also, as we see the song's truth...even we, as TOOL fans, have begun to "Cut it all RIGHT IN TWO" Even on this very thread....
Old 07-18-2006, 09:35 AM   #484
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Quote:

cut it all right in two

Yea, that's the ticket. That's what I've been singing for a while now. I would have to go with Terry tho, on the other 2 options being argued right now. I just can't go with the 'love' It just doesn't seem to fit....TOOL, Maynard or the song itself....

Also, as we see the song's truth...even we, as TOOL fans, have begun to "Cut it all RIGHT IN TWO" Even on this very thread....
07-18-2006, 05:19 PM

i just got another live audio of another show with right in two, and this one is so clear on everything... i hear "lift a lie to heaven" and the whole "cut whatever... right in two" .... sounds like hes drunk and slurrying everything to make it unpronouncable. It almost sounds German... "Kuile-hai-la" ... or possibly "Cutting high and low" and sometimes i hear a distinct "G" in the cutting part. but i dont hear divide anywhere.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #485

Bincount™: 1

i just got another live audio of another show with right in two, and this one is so clear on everything... i hear "lift a lie to heaven" and the whole "cut whatever... right in two" .... sounds like hes drunk and slurrying everything to make it unpronouncable. It almost sounds German... "Kuile-hai-la" ... or possibly "Cutting high and low" and sometimes i hear a distinct "G" in the cutting part. but i dont hear divide anywhere.
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
07-18-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21

Thanks for clarifying your position. I see that you're taking the lyric to mean "bound to" as in "morally required to" rather than as "likely to". Here I think we have an issue worthy of further debate as it suggests 2 very different interpretations of the song...
(perhaps this should be posted elsewhere, but I'll put it here as it bears on the issue of the chorus lyrics)

INTERPRETATION 1: Us monkeys need to quit fighting over everything, and the solution is to divide things up and share. The chorus then recommends this solution to us.

INTERPRETATION 2: The problem is that us silly monkeys will fight over anything given the chance, with the unfortunate result that everything gets divided in two. The chorus then laments this unfortunate fact.

I'd really like to know if anyone else believes interpretation 1 is Tool's intended meaning. Anyways, here's why I think it is not:

"PLENTY in this holy garden, silly monkeys
Where there's one you're bound to divide it"

If there is plenty in this garden, then why the need to DIVIDE & share, why not just get another one?

Also, compare the above lyric with:

"Silly monkeys give them thumbs they forge a blade
And where there's one they're bound to divide it..."

Here the monkeys WILL forge a blade (just as earlier they WILL divide it). To apply interpretation 1 here in an analagous way you would require this to mean something like: The monkeys WILL forge a blade but unfortunately they forget that they are also bound(required) to then divide things with it as well.

Also, if being "bound to divide" is a good thing in both of the above lyrics, then compare with the later lyric:

"Silly monkeys give them thumbs they make a club,
And beat their brother down"

Is this also a positive thing? Or is it an unfortunate fact, just like how we are "bound(likely) to divide" things in the prrevious 2 cases?

And finally, I think interpretation 2 fits in much better with the whole perspective of the song, i.e. Angels looking down on the unfortunate plight of humanity, and lamenting their unfortunate condition.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #486
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:

Thanks for clarifying your position. I see that you're taking the lyric to mean "bound to" as in "morally required to" rather than as "likely to". Here I think we have an issue worthy of further debate as it suggests 2 very different interpretations of the song...
(perhaps this should be posted elsewhere, but I'll put it here as it bears on the issue of the chorus lyrics)

INTERPRETATION 1: Us monkeys need to quit fighting over everything, and the solution is to divide things up and share. The chorus then recommends this solution to us.

INTERPRETATION 2: The problem is that us silly monkeys will fight over anything given the chance, with the unfortunate result that everything gets divided in two. The chorus then laments this unfortunate fact.

I'd really like to know if anyone else believes interpretation 1 is Tool's intended meaning. Anyways, here's why I think it is not:

If there is plenty in this garden, then why the need to DIVIDE & share, why not just get another one?

Here the monkeys WILL forge a blade (just as earlier they WILL divide it). To apply interpretation 1 here in an analagous way you would require this to mean something like: The monkeys WILL forge a blade but unfortunately they forget that they are also bound(required) to then divide things with it as well.

Also, if being "bound to divide" is a good thing in both of the above lyrics, then compare with the later lyric:

Is this also a positive thing? Or is it an unfortunate fact, just like how we are "bound(likely) to divide" things in the prrevious 2 cases?

And finally, I think interpretation 2 fits in much better with the whole perspective of the song, i.e. Angels looking down on the unfortunate plight of humanity, and lamenting their unfortunate condition.
07-18-2006, 06:28 PM

the most simplified interpretation of this song "IMO" is this:
Unity = division. IF we are to be grouped or classed as monkeys or anything else, there will be division; and its the way we are, as unfortunate and disfunctional as it is. We are ALL repugnant creatures, as a race of humans, which in itself, is a division from OTHER living things here on this planet. There is no EDEN, there is no PEACE. There is only division....and breaking it down into its simplest form, 1 divided is 2....right in two....
Old 07-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #487
Level 7 - Loquacious

the most simplified interpretation of this song "IMO" is this:
Unity = division. IF we are to be grouped or classed as monkeys or anything else, there will be division; and its the way we are, as unfortunate and disfunctional as it is. We are ALL repugnant creatures, as a race of humans, which in itself, is a division from OTHER living things here on this planet. There is no EDEN, there is no PEACE. There is only division....and breaking it down into its simplest form, 1 divided is 2....right in two....
07-18-2006, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=spacemonkeyadb]

INTERPRETATION 2: The problem is that us silly monkeys will fight over anything given the chance, with the unfortunate result that everything gets divided in two. The chorus then laments this unfortunate fact."

I don't know, I dare not speculate what the songs meant to the authors....I think we need to open our minds and realize its a little of both...some of each of these.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:34 PM   #488
Level 7 - Loquacious

[QUOTE=spacemonkeyadb]

INTERPRETATION 2: The problem is that us silly monkeys will fight over anything given the chance, with the unfortunate result that everything gets divided in two. The chorus then laments this unfortunate fact."

I don't know, I dare not speculate what the songs meant to the authors....I think we need to open our minds and realize its a little of both...some of each of these.
07-18-2006, 08:00 PM

Fight till they die,
(Ahhh!) over what? for their ending

I hear:

Fight till they die,
(Ahhh!) over what? For their lies.

I know that maynard would not link there musical lyrics with something in the news, but there has been alot of talk about the catholic church and its "big lie". It seems to me that alot of the lyrics that have come out from us fans seem to be connecting to this big lie somone has told, such as:

Why did Father give these humans free will?
Now they're all confused.

As most know christians/catholics call God father, and he gave man free will do as we please.
With that free will somone start a lie, hense: Now they're all confused

Even though this is for the Right In Two lyrics another lyric I would like to point out in Vicarious:

Cause I need to watch things die
From a distance
Vicariously, I
Live while the whole world dies
"You all need it too - don't lie."

At the start of speculation I saw alot of: "You all needn't to choose your lie."

Could this be the fact that man has been raised in a world of religion. Maybe maynard it stating that man is controled by religion and we dont have a choice on what we believe. This could go down to religion and also the news. If we turn on the TV every day and see hell on earth then we have nothing to believe but there is hell on earth. Basically mans ability of choosing what we believe has been taken away and now we are forced to believe lies. We have no reason to choose what we believe, even though what we have to choose from is all lies anyways.

Angels on the sideline,
Baffled and confused.
Father blessed them all with reason,
And this is what they choose?

The Crusade, God gave man free will, we chose to create a lie. The crusades were from the catholic church to defend the lie as so many books have now made the assertion. Hense: Angles on the sideline, baffled and confused. They are "sitting in the clouds(sideline) baffled at why man is killing man over a stupid lie that God gave us the free will to make. God gave man reason and our reason was to "crusade" to kill millions over a lie, thats what we chose. Even today War is raging, and we all know it wasn't for the right reasons. And the war that rages was defently not "reasonable".

Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground.

Even though the crusades were hundreds of years ago man is still fighting over land, and for what reason? Why is it that man must kill eachother to have a place they can call their own?

How they survive so misguided is a mystery.

This is the one sentence that I am questioning and I need help, of course this is all speculation and all critizism and any type of interpretation is GREAT in my book. But this sentence intrigues me. I know that its going to be a huge fight about maynards beliefs and what he thinks, and I know I am going to get the "Ignorant christian" sticker slapped on my forhead for saying this but I have to ask:
Could maynard be admitting to a higher power here?

All this is pure speculation and I hope no fights will start and no offense will be taken. My mind is as open as a blue sky so please do tell me what you think :).
Old 07-18-2006, 08:00 PM   #489
Level 3 - Talker

Fight till they die,
(Ahhh!) over what? for their ending

I hear:

Fight till they die,
(Ahhh!) over what? For their lies.

I know that maynard would not link there musical lyrics with something in the news, but there has been alot of talk about the catholic church and its "big lie". It seems to me that alot of the lyrics that have come out from us fans seem to be connecting to this big lie somone has told, such as:

As most know christians/catholics call God father, and he gave man free will do as we please.
With that free will somone start a lie, hense: Now they're all confused

Even though this is for the Right In Two lyrics another lyric I would like to point out in Vicarious:

Cause I need to watch things die
From a distance
Vicariously, I
Live while the whole world dies
"You all need it too - don't lie."

At the start of speculation I saw alot of: "You all needn't to choose your lie."

Could this be the fact that man has been raised in a world of religion. Maybe maynard it stating that man is controled by religion and we dont have a choice on what we believe. This could go down to religion and also the news. If we turn on the TV every day and see hell on earth then we have nothing to believe but there is hell on earth. Basically mans ability of choosing what we believe has been taken away and now we are forced to believe lies. We have no reason to choose what we believe, even though what we have to choose from is all lies anyways.

Angels on the sideline,
Baffled and confused.
Father blessed them all with reason,
And this is what they choose?

The Crusade, God gave man free will, we chose to create a lie. The crusades were from the catholic church to defend the lie as so many books have now made the assertion. Hense: Angles on the sideline, baffled and confused. They are "sitting in the clouds(sideline) baffled at why man is killing man over a stupid lie that God gave us the free will to make. God gave man reason and our reason was to "crusade" to kill millions over a lie, thats what we chose. Even today War is raging, and we all know it wasn't for the right reasons. And the war that rages was defently not "reasonable".

Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground.

Even though the crusades were hundreds of years ago man is still fighting over land, and for what reason? Why is it that man must kill eachother to have a place they can call their own?

This is the one sentence that I am questioning and I need help, of course this is all speculation and all critizism and any type of interpretation is GREAT in my book. But this sentence intrigues me. I know that its going to be a huge fight about maynards beliefs and what he thinks, and I know I am going to get the "Ignorant christian" sticker slapped on my forhead for saying this but I have to ask:
Could maynard be admitting to a higher power here?

All this is pure speculation and I hope no fights will start and no offense will be taken. My mind is as open as a blue sky so please do tell me what you think :).
07-18-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:

I agree with interpretation 2, and your examples are exactly what i had taken from the song too. Interpretation 1 is too plain in my book, and i dont think Maynard would be that plain.. "lets share" ? thats the message??? i dont think so, its much more powerful and interpretation 2 is more on spiritual note.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:50 PM   #490

Quote:

I agree with interpretation 2, and your examples are exactly what i had taken from the song too. Interpretation 1 is too plain in my book, and i dont think Maynard would be that plain.. "lets share" ? thats the message??? i dont think so, its much more powerful and interpretation 2 is more on spiritual note.
WeMoveInPeriods
07-19-2006, 08:56 AM

cut my whole right in two
Old 07-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #491
Level 3 - Talker

07-19-2006, 11:14 AM

cut my whale right in two
Old 07-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #492
Level 8 - Vociferous

07-19-2006, 06:48 PM

...innappropriate....
Old 07-19-2006, 06:48 PM   #493
Level 7 - Loquacious

...innappropriate....
07-20-2006, 07:12 AM

cut my germany right in two
Old 07-20-2006, 07:12 AM   #494
Level 3 - Talker

07-20-2006, 07:20 AM

Quote:

cut it all right in two
I Agree. I don't think MJK is telling us what TO do, he's saying what we ARE doing. It's a continuation of Schism IMO. As we supposedly bring eachother closer with technology and telecommunications, in reality, we're growing further apart.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:20 AM   #495

Quote:

cut it all right in two
I Agree. I don't think MJK is telling us what TO do, he's saying what we ARE doing. It's a continuation of Schism IMO. As we supposedly bring eachother closer with technology and telecommunications, in reality, we're growing further apart.
07-20-2006, 11:48 AM

which is indirectly showing us what we should do....we should form a triangle around Iraq and all these warmongers in the holy lands and make them feel the spiral....maybe then we'd be doing something for a change....
Old 07-20-2006, 11:48 AM   #496
Level 7 - Loquacious

which is indirectly showing us what we should do....we should form a triangle around Iraq and all these warmongers in the holy lands and make them feel the spiral....maybe then we'd be doing something for a change....
07-20-2006, 11:54 AM

Angels on the sideline,

*beings that are in conctact with our maker, looking at his product*

Puzzled and amused.

*they find it funny and a little bit irritating*

*why did he do that if they do such shit?*

Now they’re all confused.

*now the angels really are irritated*

Don’t these talking monkeys know that
Eden has enough to go around?

*don't the humans know that there's enough for all?*

Plenty in this holy garden, silly old monkeys,
Where there’s one, you're bound to divide it,
Right in two.

*there is much stuff, and where there's only one, the humans GOTTA DIVIDE IT ALL RIGHT IN TWO*

People fight over stuff instead of giving themselves half and their brother half, that's why they fight and fight and fight. Damn, if you first listen to this song how could any other interpretation come to mind? Your guys' interpretation is naturally second choice for me. I'm not trying to be arrogant or something like that. Only rational.

Last edited by Terry21; 07-20-2006 at 11:57 AM..
Old 07-20-2006, 11:54 AM   #497
Level 8 - Vociferous

Angels on the sideline,

*beings that are in conctact with our maker, looking at his product*

Puzzled and amused.

*they find it funny and a little bit irritating*

*why did he do that if they do such shit?*

Now they’re all confused.

*now the angels really are irritated*

Don’t these talking monkeys know that
Eden has enough to go around?

*don't the humans know that there's enough for all?*

Plenty in this holy garden, silly old monkeys,
Where there’s one, you're bound to divide it,
Right in two.

*there is much stuff, and where there's only one, the humans GOTTA DIVIDE IT ALL RIGHT IN TWO*

People fight over stuff instead of giving themselves half and their brother half, that's why they fight and fight and fight. Damn, if you first listen to this song how could any other interpretation come to mind? Your guys' interpretation is naturally second choice for me. I'm not trying to be arrogant or something like that. Only rational.

Last edited by Terry21; 07-20-2006 at 11:57 AM..
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
07-20-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Fair enough Terry21. You're entitled to your opinion. However, it does seem that you are the only one who thinks that this interpretation is correct.

And as for "how could any other interpretation come to mind?", well if you actually read my earlier post you would've found that there I actually give my REASONS for thinking that the song is not recommending division as a solution. If you want to convince anyone else, you might want to respond to those points rather than merely restating your position and using huge letters.

I understand that you think the song says: There's plenty in this garden, so IN THE PARTICULAR CASE where there's only one, we need to divide it in two.

My argument is that the *rest of the lyrics in the song* make it clear that what is meant is: There's plenty in this garden, yet WHEREVER there is one (i.e. IN EVERY CASE) us silly monkeys will try to divide it in two (instead of just getting another one). And this is WHY us monkeys are SILLY.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:07 PM   #498
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Fair enough Terry21. You're entitled to your opinion. However, it does seem that you are the only one who thinks that this interpretation is correct.

And as for "how could any other interpretation come to mind?", well if you actually read my earlier post you would've found that there I actually give my REASONS for thinking that the song is not recommending division as a solution. If you want to convince anyone else, you might want to respond to those points rather than merely restating your position and using huge letters.

I understand that you think the song says: There's plenty in this garden, so IN THE PARTICULAR CASE where there's only one, we need to divide it in two.

My argument is that the *rest of the lyrics in the song* make it clear that what is meant is: There's plenty in this garden, yet WHEREVER there is one (i.e. IN EVERY CASE) us silly monkeys will try to divide it in two (instead of just getting another one). And this is WHY us monkeys are SILLY.
07-20-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeMoveInPeriods
This is what I think it is now. Never thought of it.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #499
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeMoveInPeriods
This is what I think it is now. Never thought of it.
Ranger10000
07-21-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:

no, it's

We should all just get along - Right in two
Can i have half of your sandwich?- Right in two
C'mon ppl, cant we please share!! - Right in two

sorry i was drunk when i wrote that.. but looking at it now, it needs to be said. I dont believe maynard would be informing us that we need to share that sounds a little weak in my book. and "gotta divide it all"?? That just don't make sense to me. We don't have to divide anything, if we dont want to, that's called free will... something else we earned from the apple in the garden of eden. When I hear "Cut all i love right in two". It reminds me of how upset god was with Adam and Eve when he found out they betrayed him, after he told them they could eat any fruit in the garden, but not that particular tree. So, Maynards interpreting God's view or the angels view of us all "Cut all i love" or "cut my love" right in two makes sense. We did this to ourselves, we have cut his faith in what he created right in two. I believe he was gambling with his creation that we would not disobey him/let him down, and he lost.... but in all reality, we lost. I think he added a little too much couriosity in the ingredients for making human beings... and all those unfortuante events with the monkeys in the story are all downfalls of the apple, just examples of how screwed up we are now, or confused.

Last edited by Ranger10000; 07-21-2006 at 06:18 PM..
Old 07-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #500

Quote:

no, it's

We should all just get along - Right in two
Can i have half of your sandwich?- Right in two
C'mon ppl, cant we please share!! - Right in two

sorry i was drunk when i wrote that.. but looking at it now, it needs to be said. I dont believe maynard would be informing us that we need to share that sounds a little weak in my book. and "gotta divide it all"?? That just don't make sense to me. We don't have to divide anything, if we dont want to, that's called free will... something else we earned from the apple in the garden of eden. When I hear "Cut all i love right in two". It reminds me of how upset god was with Adam and Eve when he found out they betrayed him, after he told them they could eat any fruit in the garden, but not that particular tree. So, Maynards interpreting God's view or the angels view of us all "Cut all i love" or "cut my love" right in two makes sense. We did this to ourselves, we have cut his faith in what he created right in two. I believe he was gambling with his creation that we would not disobey him/let him down, and he lost.... but in all reality, we lost. I think he added a little too much couriosity in the ingredients for making human beings... and all those unfortuante events with the monkeys in the story are all downfalls of the apple, just examples of how screwed up we are now, or confused.

Last edited by Ranger10000; 07-21-2006 at 06:18 PM..
07-21-2006, 06:32 PM

the lyrics on metrolyrics.com say "Cut it Divide it all right in two."
Not that I take their word over yours but again, with the stereoscopic art and such....the coming together of 2 to make 1 even (listen to 'Jimmy' and learn about the concept of 11). Could it be reasoned that this is what's going on at this point in the song>?
Old 07-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #501
Level 7 - Loquacious

the lyrics on metrolyrics.com say "Cut it Divide it all right in two."
Not that I take their word over yours but again, with the stereoscopic art and such....the coming together of 2 to make 1 even (listen to 'Jimmy' and learn about the concept of 11). Could it be reasoned that this is what's going on at this point in the song>?
07-21-2006, 07:25 PM

yeah and they got there lyrics from here most likely, that variation along with many others can be found at different lyric sites
Old 07-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #502

yeah and they got there lyrics from here most likely, that variation along with many others can be found at different lyric sites
TortusTool
07-21-2006, 11:25 PM

Angels on the sideline,
puzzled and amused.

Don't these talking monkeys know that Eden
has enough to go around?
Plenty in this holy garden.
Silly monkeys,
where there's one you're bound to divide it,
right in two.

Angels on the sideline,
baffled and confused.
Father blessed them all with reason
and this is what they choose?

Monkey killing monkey killing monkey
over pieces of the ground.
Silly monkeys,
give them thumbs they forge a blade
and where there's one they're bound to divide it,
right in two.

Silly monkeys,
give them thumbs they make a club
and beat their brother down.

Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability
to lift an eye to heaven,
conscious of his fleeting time here.

Cutting it all, right in two.

Fight over ground, over earth, over sky.
They fight over life, over blood, over air and light,
over love, over some, over none.
They fight or they die, Over what?
Over writing!

Angels on the sideline again,
Benched along with patience and reason.
Wondering where this tug of war will end.

Right in two!

Right in two.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:25 PM   #503
Level 3 - Talker

I believe that my interpretation on the lyrics will be the closest that you will find

Angels on the sideline,
puzzled and amused.

Don't these talking monkeys know that Eden
has enough to go around?
Plenty in this holy garden.
Silly monkeys,
where there's one you're bound to divide it,
right in two.

Angels on the sideline,
baffled and confused.
Father blessed them all with reason
and this is what they choose?

Silly monkeys,
give them thumbs they forge a blade
and where there's one they're bound to divide it,
right in two.

Silly monkeys,
give them thumbs they make a club
and beat their brother down.

Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability
to lift an eye to heaven,
conscious of his fleeting time here.

Fight over ground, over earth, over sky.
Over writing!

Benched along with patience and reason.
Wondering where this tug of war will end.

Right in two!

Right in two.
07-21-2006, 11:50 PM

I'm not sure of the official lyrics obiviously, but it sounds to to me like the chorus is saying "cut and divide it all right in two"

also the heavy part sounds to me like

"fight all the time over blade, over sky"
"just fight over life, over blood, over hatred"
"fight over love, over sight, over love"
"fight all the time, they just fight all the time"

I'm pretty sure it says "wondering WHEN this tug of war will end"

Last edited by The Corinthian; 07-22-2006 at 12:02 AM..
Old 07-21-2006, 11:50 PM   #504
Level 4 - Thinker

I'm not sure of the official lyrics obiviously, but it sounds to to me like the chorus is saying "cut and divide it all right in two"

also the heavy part sounds to me like

"fight all the time over blade, over sky"
"just fight over life, over blood, over hatred"
"fight over love, over sight, over love"
"fight all the time, they just fight all the time"

I'm pretty sure it says "wondering WHEN this tug of war will end"

Last edited by The Corinthian; 07-22-2006 at 12:02 AM..
07-22-2006, 08:56 AM

"wondering when this tug of war will end" ...I agree...who says otherwise>?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:56 AM   #505
Level 7 - Loquacious

07-22-2006, 05:16 PM

Live... it sounds like "God divided love, right in two"

That's half of Terrys and half of the ours. I'll go out on a limb with divide cause if he is saying it then he is slurring it. This makes more sense and sounds better than "Gotta divide it all"
Old 07-22-2006, 05:16 PM   #506

That's half of Terrys and half of the ours. I'll go out on a limb with divide cause if he is saying it then he is slurring it. This makes more sense and sounds better than "Gotta divide it all"
TortusTool
07-22-2006, 09:15 PM

"Fight over ground, over earth, over sky.
Over writing!"

My reasoning for this is... I took the song and fucked all around in Cool Edit with it. My friend and I must have spent hours just on these lines. We played it with bass down and Treble up. We played it through filters and all that crap. This is what we came up with. I am about 99% sure they are correct. Just give it a listen and you can clearly hear this is what is said... I have to stretch my ears hearing to compensate for alot of the other translations of this.

Also the song is about religion and such... Being that most wars are fought over religion and the way things are, such as government... "Over writing!"
Old 07-22-2006, 09:15 PM   #507
Level 3 - Talker

Over writing!"

My reasoning for this is... I took the song and fucked all around in Cool Edit with it. My friend and I must have spent hours just on these lines. We played it with bass down and Treble up. We played it through filters and all that crap. This is what we came up with. I am about 99% sure they are correct. Just give it a listen and you can clearly hear this is what is said... I have to stretch my ears hearing to compensate for alot of the other translations of this.

Also the song is about religion and such... Being that most wars are fought over religion and the way things are, such as government... "Over writing!"
07-23-2006, 08:45 AM

I can agree on some of it, but if you listen to the live versions Maynard repeats .. and he always changes the live versions... but this is one

"Fight till they die
over air over sea
they Fight till they die
over ground over air
they fight till they die
over blood over love
They fight till they die
over words
for their rising " This whole speach part is very clear and he does say rising.

The way it goes on the CD

Fight till they die
over earth, over sky.
They fight
over life, over ground, over air and light,
over love over sun over blood
They fight till they die
over words
for their rising
Old 07-23-2006, 08:45 AM   #508

I can agree on some of it, but if you listen to the live versions Maynard repeats .. and he always changes the live versions... but this is one

"Fight till they die
over air over sea
they Fight till they die
over ground over air
they fight till they die
over blood over love
They fight till they die
over words
for their rising " This whole speach part is very clear and he does say rising.

The way it goes on the CD

Fight till they die
over earth, over sky.
They fight
over life, over ground, over air and light,
over love over sun over blood
They fight till they die
over words
for their rising
Ranger10000
07-23-2006, 08:47 AM

I would also like to add my vote to

"Angels on the sideline
Puzzled unamused"
Old 07-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #509

I would also like to add my vote to

"Angels on the sideline
Puzzled unamused"
TortusTool
07-23-2006, 09:13 AM

Went back and took another listen with the other interpretations in mind... i have come to this conclusion...

"Fight (over ground), over earth, over sky.
They fight over life, (over blood), over air and light,

(the end of this could be "moon" or "none" but blood definitly goes into the above place in my opinion and Maynard wouldn't write blood twice like that)

over love, over sun, (((over blood)))
They fight till they die
over words
for their rising"
Old 07-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #510
Level 3 - Talker

Went back and took another listen with the other interpretations in mind... i have come to this conclusion...

"Fight (over ground), over earth, over sky.
They fight over life, (over blood), over air and light,

(the end of this could be "moon" or "none" but blood definitly goes into the above place in my opinion and Maynard wouldn't write blood twice like that)

over love, over sun, (((over blood)))
They fight till they die
over words
for their rising"
07-23-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Sure, it's possible. But I don't think it fits as well as previous guesses. How does it make more sense? Tool tends to oppose organised religion rather than God as such, and in the song it is the humans/monkeys who are screwing things up, not God. Of course, they could be fighting OVER God/religion, but I don't think "God divided love..." would be a natural way of saying this.
Also "love" isn't something that one would normally speak of dividing, which is why I prefer "Cuttin' all I love right in two". (Assuming he does say "love" - I can hear this, but I'll concede it could just be "Cutting it all right in two").
Old 07-23-2006, 09:30 AM   #511
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Sure, it's possible. But I don't think it fits as well as previous guesses. How does it make more sense? Tool tends to oppose organised religion rather than God as such, and in the song it is the humans/monkeys who are screwing things up, not God. Of course, they could be fighting OVER God/religion, but I don't think "God divided love..." would be a natural way of saying this.
Also "love" isn't something that one would normally speak of dividing, which is why I prefer "Cuttin' all I love right in two". (Assuming he does say "love" - I can hear this, but I'll concede it could just be "Cutting it all right in two").
07-23-2006, 12:11 PM

yeah i just keep hearing more and more things, so i just throw em out there.

But i am still sticking with Cuttin' all i love right in two also
Old 07-23-2006, 12:11 PM   #512

yeah i just keep hearing more and more things, so i just throw em out there.

But i am still sticking with Cuttin' all i love right in two also
07-23-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortusTool
Over writing!"

HMMM....I like that.....I'm at that part of the song right now......{listening}
DOOD!!! I hear that now----You can clearly hear the "T" in there....

I'm going with this for now....
Old 07-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #513
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortusTool
Over writing!"

HMMM....I like that.....I'm at that part of the song right now......{listening}
DOOD!!! I hear that now----You can clearly hear the "T" in there....

I'm going with this for now....
07-23-2006, 04:31 PM

The part at the end is intentionally sung unclear, if one sings unclear (especially 'nard) you can't hear single letters out of it, because sometimes he just doesn't sing them or exchanges them. They're not hidden there, if you listen to it close. (They theight oer thrill-ey-light). Just saying... I'm not saying if there's a T, it's no T.

Last edited by Terry21; 07-23-2006 at 04:34 PM..
Old 07-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #514
Level 8 - Vociferous

The part at the end is intentionally sung unclear, if one sings unclear (especially 'nard) you can't hear single letters out of it, because sometimes he just doesn't sing them or exchanges them. They're not hidden there, if you listen to it close. (They theight oer thrill-ey-light). Just saying... I'm not saying if there's a T, it's no T.

Last edited by Terry21; 07-23-2006 at 04:34 PM..
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
07-23-2006, 04:39 PM

Garden divided all right in two?

:lol

I just understood this.

What about: Been too long with patience and reason? (I like the aspect of the song being about mocking the angels).
Old 07-23-2006, 04:39 PM   #515
Level 8 - Vociferous

Garden divided all right in two?

:lol

I just understood this.

What about: Been too long with patience and reason? (I like the aspect of the song being about mocking the angels).
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
07-23-2006, 04:58 PM

Live he sings this. He doesn't on the record.

They fight 'till they die
Over air
Over sky
Over clouds (ground)
Over sun
Over black
Over love
Over words
Pour a rising?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:58 PM   #516
Level 8 - Vociferous

Live he sings this. He doesn't on the record.

Over air
Over sky
Over clouds (ground)
Over sun
Over black
Over love
Over words
Pour a rising?
Ranger10000
07-23-2006, 05:18 PM

yeah i heard Por or pour also... but it didnt make much sense to me so i figured i was hearing it wrong and went with, "for their"
Old 07-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #517

yeah i heard Por or pour also... but it didnt make much sense to me so i figured i was hearing it wrong and went with, "for their"
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
07-24-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus11
Not until the lyrics come out officially I'm afraid ;p
Old 07-24-2006, 09:21 AM   #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus11
07-24-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBurN

I didn't say I was absolutely right....I just meant thats what I was going with...
Old 07-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #519
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBurN

I didn't say I was absolutely right....I just meant thats what I was going with...
07-26-2006, 05:48 PM

is that it>?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #520
Level 7 - Loquacious

is that it>?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply