Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
Forty Six & 2
-intermission-
Lateralus
Ænema

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-16-2010 at 06:39 PM..
Old 05-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
. Anthropophagite .

Bincount™: 553
07.05.2010 - Regina, SK @ Brandt Centre

Reviews only, please.

SETLIST

Third Eye
Jambi
(-) Ions
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
Forty Six & 2
-intermission-
Lateralus
Ænema

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-16-2010 at 06:39 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Barbelith
07-05-2010, 10:23 PM

SETLIST
Third Eye
Jambi
(-)Ions
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
46&2
Lateralus
Aenema

Just like most of the other stops this tour. Only my second Tool concert (what can I say? I've been chronically damn-near broke my entire life, and a mortgage ain't helpin'), having braved the Blizzard in 2007 to go up to Saskatoon...

Amazing. Better than the Saskatoon gig, as far as I can tell. Maybe being on the floor this time offered a better balance than the last time (when I was up, up, up and off to Adam's side of the stage, by which I mean I was about level with the screens).

First things first, though: big groans abound to the Brandt Centre security for the huge, congested lineups of people waiting to get in. Followed by the most cursory pat-down in the history of security checks. I mean, I doubt I appear threatening to anyone, but holy crap! If we're going on the honor system here, then what was the holdup?

By the time we were in the door, Dalek was already going full force. By which I mean, I could feel the bass through all the concrete and well into my organs. When we finally made it through to the interior, it was almost more a feeling than a sound.

Here's my aside: not sure what merch prices are anywhere else, but $45 for a T-Shirt? Are you absolutely kidding me? Sadly, I come home empty handed, not even being able to fully justify the awesome poster (it's harder when you have to justify it to someone else).

Anyway, for all the kvetching about the quality of Dalek on the boards so far, I was pleasantly surprised. Nice, kind of mellow, definitely some interesting choice of sounds...I'll check out their stuff later on. Of course, as I implied, I didn't get to hear much of Dalek, but what I heard, I liked.

Then, it was time for the teardown/setup. The crowd started actually becoming a crowd, and the buzz was getting bigger. When the lab-tech techs came out to work, some people started cheering a bit.

When they took the cover off of Danny's kit, they lost their minds.

Now, at this point, we all know that Tool are utterly fucking brilliant. It's why we're here; it's why we were there (though some of the crowd seemed, as is always the way here, just there to be seen and/or to make fools of themselves on $6 beer).

what I'd like to compliment them on is their professionalism. Half an hour after Dalek left the stage, the lights went out. 9:00 on the button by my watch. And that's when it got great...

Again, we get the "Think for yourself" speech, followed by what was just an amazing concert all around. I won't rehash the setlist, since it's already at the beginning of this post.

As with the last time I saw them, Adam was far stage Right, Justin far stage Left, and Danny in the back, all well lit and out there. Of course, beside Danny and eschewing the spotlight in the literal sense, was a shadowy figure in a hat and a "POSTAL" T-shirt who sounded like Maynard.

Sounded like him in top form, that is. These guys are just consumate musicians, and watching them work is so damned weird. The songs are completely intense, and they're loud and rocking and you look at them and it's all effortless.

They're not banging their heads, they're not jumping around; hell, they're not even breaking a sweat. But they're all just locked in on the tempos, and every damn thing is just so perfect. They just work so well as a unit...

(and no, I'm not drunk, nor do I do drugs...though I've probably got a good contact high going on right now...holy crap...)

What else can be said? The venue claims that the Band asked for there to be no cameras or recording equipment, and that jibes with what I know. This didn't stop one loudmouthed girl from constantly talking about how horribly oppressive the security were being.

Of course, she also chose the intro to Lateralus to loudly talk to her friends about just how much she knew about the band and how this was, like, her song and stuff.

Eh. Two minor things from one person over a two hour concert? Already better than most.

And that idiot who was singing the guitar part to Aenima at the end? Almost beneath contempt. Almost. You're not the guitar, you stupid jag, and singing the chorus during the verse would be bad enough, except the chorus isn't just "fucking fuck L.A.! Whoo!"

Again, a minor quibble.

I can only hope that we were a good enough crowd, venue and city to get the Carey/Chancellor/Jones/Keenan show here the next time through...
Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.05.2010 - Regina, SK @ Brandt Centre

SETLIST
Third Eye
Jambi
(-)Ions
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
46&2
Lateralus
Aenema

Just like most of the other stops this tour. Only my second Tool concert (what can I say? I've been chronically damn-near broke my entire life, and a mortgage ain't helpin'), having braved the Blizzard in 2007 to go up to Saskatoon...

Amazing. Better than the Saskatoon gig, as far as I can tell. Maybe being on the floor this time offered a better balance than the last time (when I was up, up, up and off to Adam's side of the stage, by which I mean I was about level with the screens).

First things first, though: big groans abound to the Brandt Centre security for the huge, congested lineups of people waiting to get in. Followed by the most cursory pat-down in the history of security checks. I mean, I doubt I appear threatening to anyone, but holy crap! If we're going on the honor system here, then what was the holdup?

By the time we were in the door, Dalek was already going full force. By which I mean, I could feel the bass through all the concrete and well into my organs. When we finally made it through to the interior, it was almost more a feeling than a sound.

Here's my aside: not sure what merch prices are anywhere else, but $45 for a T-Shirt? Are you absolutely kidding me? Sadly, I come home empty handed, not even being able to fully justify the awesome poster (it's harder when you have to justify it to someone else).

Anyway, for all the kvetching about the quality of Dalek on the boards so far, I was pleasantly surprised. Nice, kind of mellow, definitely some interesting choice of sounds...I'll check out their stuff later on. Of course, as I implied, I didn't get to hear much of Dalek, but what I heard, I liked.

Then, it was time for the teardown/setup. The crowd started actually becoming a crowd, and the buzz was getting bigger. When the lab-tech techs came out to work, some people started cheering a bit.

When they took the cover off of Danny's kit, they lost their minds.

Now, at this point, we all know that Tool are utterly fucking brilliant. It's why we're here; it's why we were there (though some of the crowd seemed, as is always the way here, just there to be seen and/or to make fools of themselves on $6 beer).

what I'd like to compliment them on is their professionalism. Half an hour after Dalek left the stage, the lights went out. 9:00 on the button by my watch. And that's when it got great...

Again, we get the "Think for yourself" speech, followed by what was just an amazing concert all around. I won't rehash the setlist, since it's already at the beginning of this post.

As with the last time I saw them, Adam was far stage Right, Justin far stage Left, and Danny in the back, all well lit and out there. Of course, beside Danny and eschewing the spotlight in the literal sense, was a shadowy figure in a hat and a "POSTAL" T-shirt who sounded like Maynard.

Sounded like him in top form, that is. These guys are just consumate musicians, and watching them work is so damned weird. The songs are completely intense, and they're loud and rocking and you look at them and it's all effortless.

They're not banging their heads, they're not jumping around; hell, they're not even breaking a sweat. But they're all just locked in on the tempos, and every damn thing is just so perfect. They just work so well as a unit...

(and no, I'm not drunk, nor do I do drugs...though I've probably got a good contact high going on right now...holy crap...)

What else can be said? The venue claims that the Band asked for there to be no cameras or recording equipment, and that jibes with what I know. This didn't stop one loudmouthed girl from constantly talking about how horribly oppressive the security were being.

Of course, she also chose the intro to Lateralus to loudly talk to her friends about just how much she knew about the band and how this was, like, her song and stuff.

Eh. Two minor things from one person over a two hour concert? Already better than most.

And that idiot who was singing the guitar part to Aenima at the end? Almost beneath contempt. Almost. You're not the guitar, you stupid jag, and singing the chorus during the verse would be bad enough, except the chorus isn't just "fucking fuck L.A.! Whoo!"

Again, a minor quibble.

I can only hope that we were a good enough crowd, venue and city to get the Carey/Chancellor/Jones/Keenan show here the next time through...
OFFLINE |  
Roach2go
07-07-2010, 11:18 AM

GREAT SHOW ALL AROUND!!!!!!!
I took a buddy to this show,(it was the first time he heard tool)freaking amazing.Good job guys!!!!every one lighting,sound and band.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

GREAT SHOW ALL AROUND!!!!!!!
I took a buddy to this show,(it was the first time he heard tool)freaking amazing.Good job guys!!!!every one lighting,sound and band.
OFFLINE |  
Roach2go
07-07-2010, 11:57 AM

Old 07-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

OFFLINE |  
badisposition
07-07-2010, 12:32 PM

"And that idiot who was singing the guitar part to Aenima at the end? Almost beneath contempt. Almost. You're not the guitar, you stupid jag, and singing the chorus during the verse would be bad enough, except the chorus isn't just "fucking fuck L.A.! Whoo!"

a milkshake came out of my nose when i read this.
i will review both sf and sacto shows hopefully the stupid jags will stay home....cant wait
Old 07-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

"And that idiot who was singing the guitar part to Aenima at the end? Almost beneath contempt. Almost. You're not the guitar, you stupid jag, and singing the chorus during the verse would be bad enough, except the chorus isn't just "fucking fuck L.A.! Whoo!"

a milkshake came out of my nose when i read this.
i will review both sf and sacto shows hopefully the stupid jags will stay home....cant wait
OFFLINE |  
fawkes519's Avatar fawkes519
07-08-2010, 10:33 AM

Anyway, I really liked the Regina show. I thought I heard a little flub by Adam at the beginning of Lateralus, and Justin's bass was a little low in the mix, but everything else was awesome.

Great visuals, great vocals (the mix was good enough to hear the dynamics in Maynard's vocal lines).

I'm new to this forum, but could anyone confirm that Danny's kit is not all solid bronze? It looked like the kicks were bronze, but the floor tom was wood?

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-15-2010 at 10:43 AM..
Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Anyway, I really liked the Regina show. I thought I heard a little flub by Adam at the beginning of Lateralus, and Justin's bass was a little low in the mix, but everything else was awesome.

Great visuals, great vocals (the mix was good enough to hear the dynamics in Maynard's vocal lines).

I'm new to this forum, but could anyone confirm that Danny's kit is not all solid bronze? It looked like the kicks were bronze, but the floor tom was wood?

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-15-2010 at 10:43 AM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply