opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Fear Inoculum » 7. Culling Voices
User Name
Password
Old 09-13-2019, 12:31 AM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Psychopathy. Don’t You dare point that at me.

What do you think Maynard's talking about here? Do you think he suspects himself a psychopath? Is he a victim of psychopathic abuse? Where do you think these lyrics come from?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:48 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Psychopathy. Don’t You dare point that at me.

I think a lot of fans and critics are approaching Culling like it's Disposition 2, so the song sounds fragile. But I see it as an extension of what Maynard is working through on Undertow and Ænima. I don't think this voice is present in Lateralus and 10K.

Last edited by UlyssEEEeeeEEEeees; 09-13-2019 at 04:54 AM..
Old 09-14-2019, 03:09 AM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlyssEEEeeeEEEeees View Post
I think a lot of fans and critics are approaching Culling like it's Disposition 2, so the song sounds fragile. But I see it as an extension of what Maynard is working through on Undertow and Ænima. I don't think this voice is present in Lateralus and 10K.
I really like this interpretation. It's taking the Crawl Away vibe and turning it up several notches.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/psychopathy

"The terms “psychopath” and “sociopath” are often used interchangeably, but in correct parlance a “sociopath” refers to a person with antisocial tendencies that are ascribed to social or environmental factors, whereas psychopathic traits are more innate, though a chaotic or violent upbringing may tip the scales for those already predisposed to behave psychopathically."
Old 09-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

I don't think this voice was ever abandoned, btw. I think Lateralus and 10,000 Days are loaded with this inner dialogue.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

The layers and interpretations of Tool's music invade so many different facets of life, it's a little hard to specify any decisive intent they may have had in the first place. This new album, so widely evolved, on so many levels; it's even tougher for me to rationalize all this as "the meaning." But this group, it seems to me, has made a social declaration of dissonance that must be overcome to survive. Agree or don't, just indulge me for a moment, wouldn't you?

There is a poignant departure from traditional Tool songs on this album. A linear narrative comes into play weaved between each song. The normal introspective thoughts seem to be blanketed under a much different tone than we've heard before. Driven by empathetic concern over rythm, 'Culling Voices' is becoming more and more apparent to me, a socio-politically charged cautionary tale that's been easily overlooked as a b-side track.

"Disembodied voices deepen my
Suspicious tendencies" ... what an eloquent way to speak about the media network's 'talking heads', and all the fear mongering their opinions birth? Clever....

"Heated altercations we've never had
so I'm told
Yet guided by them all
Every single one" .... discordant beliefs forced on us through sound bytes from one side or the other. Becoming conditioned to despise the other's format from the viral opinions of the week. Not just the extremists, every single one.

"Judge, condemn, and banish any and everyone
Without evidence
Only the whispers from within" ... Plant what you will, in a bed ripe for growth, then watch it take shape and reap what you've sown. No longer a need to rely on someone's opinion of these people you hate. You have that in you now and listen to instead. This lack of empathy, and the rest of psycopathy's traits are the bloom of what was planted long ago in this tale.

The people diagnosed with these markers of psycopathy have been found to gravitate towards a certain number of careers. Those centered, or those that revolve around politics, rise to the top of the list. That might be a stretch and wind up circumstantial, but it's worth noting.

Back to our author's narrative, we find this phrase is continually repeating, "psychopathy don't you dare point that at me" ... Surging dramatic tones, feeding one another from the character's deflection of such an accusation finally ruptures into aggression.

I find it very interesting that in the climax of the song, he chooses not to sing the "me" at the end of the phrasing. Almost aware in the absence of his vocals you still sing "me," and I can't help but wonder if he wrote this in third person omniscience; the audience as the narrator's character(s).

Political or not, that is quite brilliant a notion, if it's the case. Forcing self reflection by identifying as that character from the literal lack of narrative in that moment. It isn't a far flung idea they could have envisioned a piece that gave us depth on such a level.

I think it's safe to say this isn't a sequel or second act to any pervious works. They managed to serve us something so inconspicuously familiar it could be easily overlooked. And therein lies the gravity of it's meaning.

Your role as the audience in this album's narrative is quite possibly the real motive in it's meaning....

Keep digging. 💜
Old 09-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsendingit View Post
The layers and interpretations of Tool's music invade so many different facets of life, it's a little hard to specify any decisive intent they may have had in the first place. This new album, so widely evolved, on so many levels; it's even tougher for me to rationalize all this as "the meaning." But this group, it seems to me, has made a social declaration of dissonance that must be overcome to survive. Agree or don't, just indulge me for a moment, wouldn't you?

There is a poignant departure from traditional Tool songs on this album. A linear narrative comes into play weaved between each song. The normal introspective thoughts seem to be blanketed under a much different tone than we've heard before. Driven by empathetic concern over rythm, 'Culling Voices' is becoming more and more apparent to me, a socio-politically charged cautionary tale that's been easily overlooked as a b-side track.

Suspicious tendencies" ... what an eloquent way to speak about the media network's 'talking heads', and all the fear mongering their opinions birth? Clever....

so I'm told
Yet guided by them all
Every single one" .... discordant beliefs forced on us through sound bytes from one side or the other. Becoming conditioned to despise the other's format from the viral opinions of the week. Not just the extremists, every single one.

Without evidence
Only the whispers from within" ... Plant what you will, in a bed ripe for growth, then watch it take shape and reap what you've sown. No longer a need to rely on someone's opinion of these people you hate. You have that in you now and listen to instead. This lack of empathy, and the rest of psycopathy's traits are the bloom of what was planted long ago in this tale.

The people diagnosed with these markers of psycopathy have been found to gravitate towards a certain number of careers. Those centered, or those that revolve around politics, rise to the top of the list. That might be a stretch and wind up circumstantial, but it's worth noting.

Back to our author's narrative, we find this phrase is continually repeating, "psychopathy don't you dare point that at me" ... Surging dramatic tones, feeding one another from the character's deflection of such an accusation finally ruptures into aggression.

I find it very interesting that in the climax of the song, he chooses not to sing the "me" at the end of the phrasing. Almost aware in the absence of his vocals you still sing "me," and I can't help but wonder if he wrote this in third person omniscience; the audience as the narrator's character(s).

Political or not, that is quite brilliant a notion, if it's the case. Forcing self reflection by identifying as that character from the literal lack of narrative in that moment. It isn't a far flung idea they could have envisioned a piece that gave us depth on such a level.

I think it's safe to say this isn't a sequel or second act to any pervious works. They managed to serve us something so inconspicuously familiar it could be easily overlooked. And therein lies the gravity of it's meaning.

Your role as the audience in this album's narrative is quite possibly the real motive in it's meaning....

Keep digging. 💜
I love reading well thought out posts like this. Some that shall remain nameless write pages full of completely incoherent nonsense or something that's so far fetched you wonder if that acid tab from 1992 never left their brain. Please do add more thoughts on the other tracks.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:39 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsendingit View Post

so I'm told
Yet guided by them all

Without evidence

Keep digging. 💜
This has caused a surge of new appreciation for this song. Thanks.
[Tucson07] [LasVegas07] [Phoenix09] [Tucson12] [SanDiego14] [SanFrancisco16] [SanDiego16] [TheGorge17] [Chicago18] [Denver19] [Denver19] [Glendale20] [Portland20] [Tacoma22] [Anaheim22] [SaltLakeCity22] [Orlando22] [Chicago22] [London22]
Old 10-17-2019, 06:11 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Might be a my favorite song on the album
Never mind that right now
I don't know what it's all supposed to be about
Gotta take the time to listen

But my guess is pretty much about the back and forths of any other day in front the tv, radio, busy people all around and then "woops I didn't mean to take advantage". The worlds crazy, but there's hella more good thoughts to get to than the scandals and people on your nerves.

Don't Let the "Fear Inoculum" into the heads of decent people constanty.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:02 AM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

Its difficult.
Both parties including "Any and Everything" is about the Dictation Narrator saying that all involved (audiance included), are in a world that makes no sense. The DN continues to point an outside perspective on the matters of "Psychopathy." Stating that, there are altercations that aren't ever going to happen, then do.
I think in a departing nature to the Antagonistic Psychopath. The story is at a mis happening. Both are stuck in the situation. The song is about complete madness (Culling Voices) heading in the wrong direction. Until it leads to whom pointing what at whom. Tragedy of circumstance and aggrevation.

In fact now that i think about it, all tracks of FI had to do with dealing with Antagonistic Threat. Whether from initiate to collector, banishing Any and Everyone. 7 ways to remove unwanted catastrophe. (+4 to tolerate him)

Last edited by W0OO0; 03-08-2020 at 05:07 AM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: