opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-21-2006, 12:12 PM   #41
lacks satan

Bincount™: 5222
Re: 2006/05/20 - New York, NY - City Center

all righty then
picture this if you will

reached manhatten at 12:30 pm
drank half a bottle of pinot noir and half an 8th of fungi
immediatly hit a pub and drank a stella
then proceded to walk to cosm
hitting several pubs on the way and st. michales which is a great place to peak.
entered cosm and gazed fanatically at alexs work. brush stroke to brushstroke.
the guided tour was sold out, which was my original plan.
while there my friend banjaminjamiahjamin asked one of the stuck up employees if tool had been there yet? and she said no. then benz girlfrind said shez probally lying and the chick got angry and defencive. later we would find out that the whole band was there in the back room at the time hanging out with alex. probally preforming some homosexual ritual inolving the ingestion of maynards seamen out of alexs ass with a straw.
around 5:30 we left.
met up with half retarded josh and sum little girls one of which was his girlfriend.
hit another pub smoked a couple bowles ate the other half of my 8th.
at that point i wondered if jesus was a homosexual, ya know it gets lonly wandering in the desert and he kept 12 guys hanging around.
then while smoking cigarettes outside the venu comenting on how tool sucks and there a bunch of satan worshiping ***gots rather loudly. another intern or employee of cosm was trying to promote the afterparty. i made it rather clear that i thought tool was gay and so was his $50 dollar shirt that said fool. he then made some funny comment back. and we started talking. thats when i found out the chick at cosm was lying.
enterd the show
got sucked into buying a poster and 6 beers.
i'm so weak
then i saw something that churned my stomache. steve say, sucking cock for quaters in the stairwell. he could sure take it back with the greatest of ease. i couldn'tpass up the opertunitey and stood in line. when he got to me his lips were chaped and he was coughing up cum and blood. i didn't care i just stared skull fucking away. that boy has no gag reflex at all. and a throught that goes on for miles. i blew my load all over his eyes, blinding him. then kicked him in the throught and ran to my seat as the show was about to begin.
sitting in the front gallery center 3 rows back from the edge. i could see everything perfectly.
adam was behind the curtin making noise and amping the crowd.
everyone was going wild screaming.
then the curtain came up and they went into 46&2 which suprised the hell out of.
i thought for sure they were going to play a different playlist and was wishing for wings.
it's all jumbled in my head after that. i do remember alot of jaming. maynard playing the keyboard for a couple songs. danny was insane during his druming he would through out his drum sticks and pick up new ones without missing a beat. it was crazy. i couldn't make out what maynard was saying mostly. he was talking alot though so i hope sombody can remember and write it down. the visuals were perfect. the sound needed work. it was too loud for the venu at points and all i could hear was a distorted mess. i could have sworn maynard and adam were kissing when they did the little sit down thing. it looked like justin leaned oer to kiss danny, but danny pulled away. rejected again.
the whole gallery was rocking out and singing along which was actually pretty cool cause they weren't too loud to overpower maynard. it just sounded like a chorus. the gallery was bouncing and swaying which was pretty cool.
i just wish i could remember what maynard said. unfortunately though i forgot my pen.
shit the bed again!
really great show. this was my 666th tool show. at the end of the show i jumped from the front gallery to the stage and straddled maynard while we ate orange slices. he then kissed me and fondeled my ballz while danny punctured my ass with a splintered drumstick. then adam came up and started pissing on us all while justin just watched and jerked off. i then grabed adams pissing cock and shoved it in maynards mouth. he sucked so hard that adams eyes sunk into his skull. and danny blew a load on my back. then the agent says, "well sounds like a good show, what do you guys call youselves?"
and then jesus said,
"CHRISTIANS"

after the show i went to the nearest pub with my crew and proceded to drink hevilly. at one point i pulled i guy in off the street to do shots of tequilla and tabasco with me. needless to say i never made it to the afterparty at cosm. mostly cause my friends pussed out. i'm really pissed cause i heard adam and danny were there talking to people and signing stuff.

well one day i'll get to smack them in the ballz.

looking back... i could have sworn there were hoves in thoese cowboy boots.
shit the bed again!

Last edited by theDEXorphan; 05-22-2006 at 05:55 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 12:22 PM   #42
Suicide Booth ID: 1

Bincount™: 16707

this show was fantastic. i sat in the rear mezz and the security was pretty nice to us. the one time we got caught smoking we were just told to put it out. how funny was it when the band fooled everyone with the extra part in stinkfist? and that drum solo in 46&2, insane. i can't really say much else. i was blown away. i wasn't really getting the vibe from maynard that he didn't want to be there. i've been to shows where he barely says a sentance or two to the audience. this was my 8th tool show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 02:21 PM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Sound was too low, especially from where i was sitting. Maynard did seem out of it. He said "we're 2 for 2" which made it seem as there was some doubt as to whether they wanted to play the second night. Set was way too short for just them. I remember them being a whole lot better the last two times i saw them. Hammerstein 5 yrs ago was infinitely better than this one.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 02:43 PM   #44
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Well what can I say other than this was the most spectacular show I have ever been to. It didn't start out looking like that would be the case however. If we go back all the way to the beginning it was a very dim prospect that my girlfriend and I would be fortunate enough to see the show. I made the attempt like many of you to get tickets on opening day of sales; long story short I spent the better part of 3 hrs twiddling my thumbs dialing 212 581 1212 about 9 million times. After being assed out I resigned myself to buying scalped tickets. I decided to wait till near the concert dates to maybe get a better deal. I almost went through with one deal in the mid mezz for 325 for two but I backed out after I thought about. I later cursed myself thinking what an idiot I was.

So the weekend comes up, I was hoping to try and hit all three shows until I got into one of them. My girlfriend got sick on Thursday night and wasn't able to go Friday so we decided to postpone it a day. We set out on Saturday afternoon around 5 with nothing more than a pocket full of cash and a dream. We got to the city around 6:45-7 and got into the cancellation line at the venue. This was our last ditch hope and we figured even if we didn't make it in this way scalpers would come by. The greasy haired gentleman in the suit came out after about an hour's wait and swiftly ushered about 10 people into the box office. At this point I am getting extremely anxious and exceedingly excited. I made some nice chit chat with a fellow named Greg and a second fellow from New Orleans who was there with his sister. The line moved again. Now we were less than 10 people away from the front of the line. About another 30-40 minutes wait and the next group went in, all the while old people going to see their ballets and shows were giving this line of social misfits and miscreants lined up outside the venue the strangest and most baffled looks. They kept asking, "what's this line for??" "Tool" "what??" "Tool" "what?" "Tool" "Oh,.... okay" poor people their wonderful little theater being a congregation point for the most diverse and sometimes frightful group of people they had ever seen in one spot.

We were now standing 3rd in line waiting for cancellations, the gentleman came out and asked how many? "1" "1" "two, one each for the both of us" "two" "two" "two" he quickly did the math and let the 7 of us in. We were the last ones from what I gathered. We got up to the lady in at the box office and said please anything together. She smiled and said she had something nice for us. I handed her the money and she handed me the tickets, my girlfriend and I both blew her kisses and then we looked at the tickets. In 4 big letters read: "ORCH" and right beneath that a shining H. We were 11 or 12 rows from the stage, for fucking Tool. After many I love you's to the kind woman who sold us these phenomenal seats we made our way out to the line to get in. I still can't fucking believe it 133 dollars for two seats in ORCHESTRA! Unbefuckinlievable!! On the way who do we bump into other than Christopher Meloni, the actor from Law and Order. "Holy fucking shit" was my greeting being caught by surprise, my girlfriend deftly shook hands with him and asked for a picture which was blurrily captured by my crappy cellphone. We said thanks and let him go in to get his tickets.

Once we were in line it was little other than happy jigs for the next half hour as we sang to ourselves how freaking incalculably lucky we were. The guys in front of us had caught them in Pennsylvania and laughed at us, upon hearing that it was my girlfriends first concert they responded: "you are going to be so spoiled" she eagerly nodded in response. The gentleman behind us who was in the Airborne division of the Army and his friend also gave us some nice small talk.

They started letting people into the venue, and we quickly moved in our cattle like fashion towards the door. Upon entering I was intimately frisked by a kind man who laughed when I asked him not to grab my crotch. Inside the doors and man we were on cloud nine, but the problem is cloud nine has no bathroom so we had to go look for one in a hurry or we were both going to wet ourselves in glee. After our brief sojourn at the lavatories we moved to the next area of business, food, we were frigging starving having come without eating any dinner and having waited in line for somewhere around 2 and a half hours. We got inordinately overpriced cookies chips and water and then upon attempting to consume them we soon discovered we were incapable of eating because of how excited and anxious we were. We handed our remnants of sustenance over to a group of younger gentleman who were sitting near the beer stand on the floor which they graciously accepted. After which we began to make pleasant small talk with the kind old woman named Mary, who was guarding the right side orchestra door like some sort of ominous sphinx, well in all reality she was just looking kind and old, and perhaps a bit deaf but she was ever so nice. She gave us the whole history of the building from the carpet to the ceiling, I can now say I know more about the NYCity Center than I ever would have tried to learn. She mentioned, "The previous night everytime I opened the door the crowd was giving a standing ovation, almost like they didn't sit down, I must've just opened it in time for every standing ovation." Ahhh the beauty of innocuous ignorance and an era gone by of polite sitting etiquette.

The doors went open and we went in to sit down, we had the pleasure of sitting next to Stefan(sp?) one of the guys ahead of us in line, we elected to move down our row if people didn't show up. Here we were it was 9:30 and the theater was still patchy at best as far as seating. I walked over and shook hands with Alex Grey which was a pleasure and proceeded over to one of the security guards to ask him something which I forgot, he mentioned how the previous night the sound guy had told him that the volume clocked at 135-140 decibels, we were truly in for a treat, 150 decibels is the sound of a jet engine from 30 meters away, 140 is a rifle from 3 feet away 130 is the human threshold of pain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_of_pain) we were trully, trully in for a treat. We sat for another 30 or 40 minutes in eager anticipation and nervous laughter and chit chat, the theater started to fill and the speakers started oozing tuning notes and other feedback from the bass. The lights went down, the crowd went nuts the people outside filled in every available gap of space imaginable in the theater and curtain flew up to euphoria that is Tool live. The rest was a blur of unfathomable inexplicable incomprehensible wonder.

The guys were the best I have ever seen them and the sound, oh my fucking goodness the sound. Every note was crisp and clear, all these people who bitch about the sound I can only assume you sat in the bathroom the sound was something to be reckoned with, the bass shook my hair everytime Danny hit his bass drums or Justin got down and dirty on his bass, and holy hell, when that gong hit came in Lateralus I think the foundation of the building shook, and several people soiled themselves. The boys were tighter than knit nylon and it showed the whole setlist went off without a hitch and I can't really even articulate just how amazing the whole show was. The lights were phenomenal the sound my goodness the sound, the videos were super cool when working with the lights Maynard was funny as hell "Alright everyone you've had enough get out.....man what's tonight? Saturday, oh yeah, no school tomorrow alright it's cool then", he sang beautifully you would've never guessed he had been sick earlier that week by the sound he was putting out, he sang The Patient beautifully and screamed up a storm in Rosetta Stoned hitting those vocal chord ripping notes with patent control and clarity. Adam tore a hole in my gut with his guitar he played the cleanest and smoothest I have seen or heard from him before with no sign of effort on his part. His riffs were chugging and monstrous when need be and cool and ethereal when the moment commanded. Justin was a powerhouse, neigh a wall of ineffable soul whomping mayhem, you didn't hear what he was playing you felt it vibrating in the marrow of your bones. Danny, what more can one say, the man is a deity here on earth on loan from heaven to play the most incredible drums ever. When I say you felt Justin's playing, your fucking heart skipped beats to Danny's playing, it was like taking a step into the ring with Muhammad Ali, he just kept hitting you and hitting you and before you knew it you were dazed and stupified at the wonder of it all. Each one donated his own special charm and charisma to the entire night and really made every moment worthwhile.

They capped the night off with nothing different than any of the other concerts and man I don't fucking care, I just wish that it could of gone on and on, I don't know I will ever get an opportunity to see these guys this close again but it was a lifetime experience I know I won't forget. Thank you Danny Adam Justin and Maynard for your talent and performance, you gave me an unforgettable night that will make me smile for years to come.

Last edited by Fritz; 05-21-2006 at 02:49 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #45
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

ok...i'm not going to get all detailed, but this night fucking rocked, even though it had a crazy start - i met up with some people from toolarmy and some other fans and we drank, then went and smoked some weed which i haven't done in 3 FUCKING YEARS, then as we are leaving the building we did this at we got stuck in an elevator -- which to MEEE was scary as hell, i thought we were gonna miss Tool and i was about to have a panic attack. i heard all different times, some said we were stuck in there for 15 minutes, someone said 10, it felt like at least 20. it was just unreal to me, nothing like that has ever happened to me, let alone while stoned!!!!! The fire dept. had to come open the door for us to get us out, we did make in perfect timing for the show, the line was still going outside.

i had an orchestra seat, last row, and could literally feel maynard's voice bouncing off the wall, i could not only hear it but feel it. i won't get into detail, but something happened this weekend with Tool's music, and especially something i felt different about Maynard where I actually like Tool even MORE, especially him, vocally, lyrically, and spiritually, for different reasons.

i did go to CoSM - Danny and Adam did show up. I met Danny, his girlfriend noticed my 311 tattoo and showed it to him and he got all excited and i was like OMG you like 311!? I was kind of surprised, and he said yeah and that he was friends with one of the members, I'm pretty sure he said Tim (the guitarist). Then I mentioned the Eye of Horus he has around his house cuz i had heard he had one but wasn't sure where (it is on his patio) - which is awesome, because i love that symbol and have a tattoo of it and a necklace, it's my favorite symbol or "amulet" ever. He was really cool, I didn't get a picture or autograph though, that wasn't in the mood of the moment because I was too happy that he liked 311 and The Eye of Horus.

Adam was around for a while too but I didn't bother him, I just didn't know what to say and he seemed kind of busy talking to Alex a lot.

Altogether this weekend was memorable and I can't wait until the next tour. I think I am now officially a Tool addict, moreso than I ever was. To all that I met this weekend, it was nice meeting you!

"It's become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity. When I look at you, I think that one day - our humanity might actually surpass our technology."
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 03:49 PM   #46
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

Unbelievable fucking night. Great show. Great party at cosm....Getting to meet adam jones and danny carey as they just hung out while alex grey was doing live painting...unreal, simply unreal. Still clearing the cobwebs trying to realize what was last night, and the night before.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #47
Level 3 - Talker

The security/ticket ushers were lax enough that I moved down from the last seat in the house in the rear gallery to the grand tier for the second half of the show.

The sounds was leagues different the closer I was to the stage.

First night I stayed in mid mezz and loved the show because the crowd was so sincere and into it.

Great weekend.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

What an incredible show. This was my first live Tool experience that I would like to share with you...

The NYCity Center is a theater that holds 2,500 people. A much smaller venue than what Tool usually performs in (arenas), but being that this was my first show I was grateful to experience such an intimate setting.

The theater has 5 levels of balconies and we were seated in the 3rd one up... rear mezzanine which had a ceiling overhang of the gallery right above us... which may have accounted for the overwhelming/distorted bass, but other than that everything is on a positive note.

They opened with "Stinkfist" and we were welcomed by the band with a curtain rise, which I thought was a fabulous touch. The audience was very loud during this song, especially during the part... "It's not enough, I need more, nothing seems to satisfy, I don't want it, I just need it, to feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive!!", that we could barely hear Maynard. Excellent enthusiasm from the crowd!!

Being that it's my favorite song from Lateralus, one of the highlights for me was "The Patient". This is a song where Maynard sings in a high key and he hit every note with total ease. I heard that he was sick this week but he did not show any evidence of that during this show.

"Lateralus" was another highlight for me and during the most intense part of the song (for me that is) where Maynard sings... "I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected, enough to step aside and weep like a widow", this guy pokes me on the shoulder so he could pass me to go back to his seat, only to have him pass me a second later to go back into the aisle. Back and forth this guy was a couple of times this evening. Well, instead of punching him (which I really wanted to do for interrupting my intense concentration on that part of the song), my husband and I released our anger by pointing at him while singing when "Aenema" (the last song of the evening) came on. It went a little something like this... "I sure could use a vacation from this bullsh*t, three ring, ciiiiiiiiiircus siiiiiideshow of FREAKS!!" Haha, good times. And guy, if you're reading this...... learn to swim.

I loved Maynard's getup for the evening. He was adorned in tight blue jeans, a Texas style belt buckle, black boots and no shirt. Oh, and let's not forget the white cowboy hat. He has this unique way of moving around, especially to the song "Stinkfist". He kicks out his leg back and forth and then kicks it out behind him. He does it in such a way that looks robotic with strong precise movements that are in perfect time with the songs. It was very entertaining to watch!!

I found myself watching Justin a lot. What an outstanding bass player he is and he too was rocking out. Danny, well, I'm speechless when it comes to him. Adam, though very stoic on stage, was incredible.

The lighting/effects were fantastic and they helped set a surreal mood in conjunction with the panel screens towards the rear of the stage.

After "Lateralus", their last song (pre-encore), instead of leaving the stage and coming back on like most bands do, they all came forth and sat themselves down on the stage. They just sat there for the longest time, looking around and being silly. Funny as hell and how original!! They then proceeded with "Vicarious" and "Aenema".

There was a lot of pot smoking that night. Personally, I don't partake in the stuff but don't mind very much if it's around me. However, I can't help from always thinking if I will get some sort of reaction from it. Well, I didn't seem to but man did I have the munchies after the show. So bad that I had to go out and get a Taylor ham egg and cheese on a roll with a side of fries. I also slept like a baby. Hmmmmmm. I "must have been..... soooooo high". hehe.

As we were walking out to our car, this guy drives by and yells out "Ozzy!!!" to my husband. To which my husband replied, "Sharon!!!" I think my husband having a long haired bearded Rob Zombie look had something to do with that. Guy, if you're out there, that was funny as hell.

~ Sandy
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2006, 09:55 PM   #49
Level 4 - Thinker

I agree that Saturday's show was definitely better than Friday's, at least a better experience for me anyway. I really had wanted to go to Cosm, everytime I'm in NYC I say I want to go but I never get the chance to! And this would have been perfect, meeting Alex right before the Tool show and everything, but we had just come back from the baseball game and by the time we got back to City Center it was like 6, so I didn't want to risk getting into Cosm late, then risk not getting a ticket. But it was cool seeing Alex Grey at the show on Friday! I wanted to go up and say hi but he was talking to someone else. So my friend and I stood in line, I was wearing a black Rush t-shirt and red shirt over it and black pants. I was afraid we wouldn't get in, but we were closer to the front of the line than I thought, and I looked behind me and thought, Well if these people get in, then we definitely will (which makes no sense lol but anyway..). It was funny because there was another show going on, so you saw all these older people and these people dressed up coming in line too. Luckily my friend told this older guy that it was the line for Tool. I mistakenly was telling this lady about the Tool show last night, she asked me what time the doors open or something, and I'm like, "Oh, well they open at 8, but they didn't even let people in till like 8:45, and then it didn't even start till like 10. I hope I didn't make her miss her show! We helped out this guy who needed a lot of tickets since the limit was two, he gave my friend $150 for two and let her keep the change which was really nice of him, and I got 2 for me and her.. I was so happy we got orchestra seats again. We were the last row in the orchestra but in the center, better view than the night before, and at least the speakers weren't making me more deaf than I am already lol, like the night before. I swear Friday night's show, if I hadn't had cotton to put in my ears I was thinking Maybe I'll walk out, because I have some hearing loss from a previous concert (not Tool) and my ears are sensitive.

WalkingBelievingRunning,

I know what you mean about the anxiety. I was like that the first night, which is why I had a better time Saturday night. Always too many thoughts going on in my head to be in the moment, which just totally sucks more than anything when what you want most at the show of one of your favorite bands is to be in the moment.

Quote:
i had an orchestra seat, last row, and could literally feel maynard's voice bouncing off the wall, i could not only hear it but feel it. i won't get into detail, but something happened this weekend with Tool's music, and especially something i felt different about Maynard where I actually like Tool even MORE, especially him, vocally, lyrically, and spiritually, for different reasons.
I was in last row orchestra too, did you see me there? I was with my friend but she was tired and isn't really a big Tool fan, so she sat for most of the show. What were you wearing?

And for some reason, I know exactly what you mean about something different happening. I've never seen Tool before, and lately when I go see bands, I don't feel like this after I see them, but I felt sad, and I still do, I miss them. I felt some kind of emotional connection to them. Maybe it was because the crowd was so into them singing along and dancing. Or maybe because it sounded so great because it was so damn loud lol. Maybe it was because the crowd fed off the band and the band knew it and fed off them, I don't know, maybe it's the lyrics, whatever, but I know what you mean. I definitely like them more, and I'm going to totally fall in love with the new album as I haven't listened to the whole thing yet. I'm definitely going to become a bigger Tool fan after this experience. I absolutely cannot wait for them to come back. I definitely will be at all the shows in this area, plus Chicago (I love Chicago so I find excuses to go there hehe). And for some reason, I actually liked being able to dance without general admission. The thought of seeing them at Madison Square Garden seems depressing, because the floor is big so it seems that it would be hard to get close to the stage, and being in the mezzanine there would suck too. I really don't like MSG much, but I'll go there for Tool anyway. I'll definitely be saving up my money for when they come around again!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 05:33 AM   #50

Bincount™: 2

holy fucking shit...this was the most fantastic weekend of my life.

spiritual cleansing.

saturday night was 10x better than friday. and friday was divine.

tripped on dxm both nights. i will post a lengthy report sometime this week describing both shows.

i just want to thank everyone that was there, most especially TOOL, for being awesome, simply incredible.

thank you thank you thank you Maynard, Adam, Justin and Danny, Alex Grey and the whole human race . THANK YOU. i am speechless.

<3
~ 05.20.06 New York City Center, NY
~ 10.07.06 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale NY
~ 06.08.07 1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore MD
~ 01.28.12 TD Garden, Boston MA
~ 02.01.12 Izod Center, East Rutherford NJ
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #51

So this was the 2nd of my first Tool shows, both this weekend in NYC. An absolutely amazing time, Row C mid Mezz first night with a friend and Last Row (V) Rear Mezz 2nd night with randoms. 1st night to me was great, and sound was fine where I was but it's all debatable, the show was fucking sick no matter what. I left the city afterwards, t-shirts and poster in tow, but the next night, sans close friends, I went in with a change of clothes etc. assuming I'd be staying in the city somewhere.

I was EXTREMELY lucky to meet some very cool people at Heartland Brewery from here (Kozmicprincess, Rob Halford) and many more from ToolArmy. One of the Toolarmy guys was one of the more hospitable people I've met in a long time, hosting 10-12 people at his place of business nearby (both nights, and it weas a VERY COOL place of business, we had our "moment of zen" so to speak) for drinking and other mind-altering activities. This led to me having a very focused and intense experience the 2nd night, especially via what to me was better sound near the back and nice visuals behind the band. Maynard dancing around like a redneck is pretty funny, it's like I'm back in Virginia at a county fair.

After the show, partied with the same people some more and felt like I made some good friends. Listened to some Isis and Pelican, got fucked up some more, got a VRazr phone for $100 off a TA member plus some free dvd's. Good times.

Got back to my house about 6:30 and shut down til 1PM or so, and while I did listen to some Tool I was too wiped to check boards or post anything until this morning.

Highlights for me were Lateralus, which I can listen to over and over, and LK/RS in the middle of the show so the crowd had settled into their intensity and were giving full attention. LK seemed extended, or at least as long as the album track which didn't seem that way the 19th. Patient was really amazing, and it was just an overall great experience through and through even without "The Pot."

I told myself these 2 shows would be sufficient and no arena tour, after this, but, I have to hear the huge sound and see the huge visuals now.

I feel sorry for the people who didn't enjoy the show, I know it's all personal opinion but I think the overwhelming majority had their bells rung!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 05:41 AM   #52
Level 2 - Poster

I can't believe no one has mentioned that Trey and Mike (Phish) were there to take in the show. I'm pretty sure they only stayed for half but saw them at the sound board. One of my favorite bands watching my favorite band = not bad.

Energy was good in the crowd (at least downstairs). Set list = the Patient instead of Right in Two or The Pot = not my preference. Also - Saturday nite in Manhattan = break out something different - even if it's just one song.

Always good in a small venue! Second best venue to seeing them in Zurich.

Swing on the spiral.....
Last TOOL show in 2010 in Morrison, CO: Red Rocks

"We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been."
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 06:01 AM   #53
Level 4 - Thinker

I think everyone has pretty much talked about everything about the show. I was in the first row dead center in the Front Gallery, unbelieveable, there were not obstructions of people it was almost like Tool was playing for me personally. The entire balcony felt like it was going to collapse during Sober and 46&2 it was incredible. And to start the night at COSM was just icing on the cake.

Anyone that went to COSM, did Alex finish in enough time to get to the show. I ended up leaving at 10 after 8 while he was still talking because I got nervous about getting to the City Center on time.

BTW: Anyone that was there that helped my wife who sprained her ankle and took a nasty spill at COSM. Thank You
Old 05-22-2006, 08:58 AM   #54
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfig
Anyone that went to COSM, did Alex finish in enough time to get to the show. I ended up leaving at 10 after 8 while he was still talking because I got nervous about getting to the City Center on time.
My friends and I left the CoSM tour early too. We were worried about missing the beginning of the TOOL show. Alex did get to the concert in plenty of time though. I saw him walk in before 10.
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 10:10 AM   #55
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik21
I can't believe no one has mentioned that Trey and Mike (Phish) were there to take in the show. I'm pretty sure they only stayed for half but saw them at the sound board. One of my favorite bands watching my favorite band = not bad.

Energy was good in the crowd (at least downstairs). Set list = the Patient instead of Right in Two or The Pot = not my preference. Also - Saturday nite in Manhattan = break out something different - even if it's just one song.

Always good in a small venue! Second best venue to seeing them in Zurich.

Swing on the spiral.....
Dude! I THOUGHT that was Trey! I was like nah can't be....sure looked like him thanks for pointing that out.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #56
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeinNY
Dude! I THOUGHT that was Trey! I was like nah can't be....sure looked like him thanks for pointing that out.

yar yar, what everyone else said. and the cosm party was pretty nice too. Left at around 4 so didnt meet the band members, but watching alex grey paint was pretty damn priceless.

seen them 4 times, not as good as lateralus tour, but still amazing.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:55 PM   #57
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyReality
and to anyone involved in the seating confusion in the rear gallery, row j....i'm still 9.
hey #9, I'm #7. kinda funny that they put up such a fuss about the seats in the beginning, but then let us stand anywhere once the show started. security was really cool, at a lot of places they'd start bitching if people tried to stand at the railing for the whole time. we got a great view for a great show!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 02:50 PM   #58
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

I flew up gftrom Savannah, GA for this one...it was a good excuse to see my old job and friends. Had a great time at both shows. Nice to visit friends and make some new ones as well. Went with the CoSM crew the first night, and a few of us (Alex, Allyson, Sharen, Zena, Myself and Paul) went the second night. Alex seemed to get occational fan notice and everyone was being quite respectful. I would have liked some more "less expected" songs in the sets, but it was still great to see Tool again. The CoSM party was fun. When not working I had time to catch up with Allyson while she drew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDEXorphan

while there my friend banjaminjamiahjamin asked one of the stuck up employees if tool had been there yet? and she said no. then benz girlfrind said shez probally lying and the chick got angry and defencive. later we would find out that the whole band was there in the back room at the time hanging out with alex. probally preforming some homosexual ritual inolving the ingestion of maynards seamen out of alexs ass with a straw.
No one from Tool was back there. In fact, NONE of them had ever been to CoSM until later during the party (when Adam and Danny visited).

That guy who told you otherwise is just a friend of one of the other employees and was not at CoSM until trhe party. Calling a very sweet girl a stuck-up liar for telling the truth to you and about 80 other Tool fanatics (hell every time I left the back room, about three fans hounded me) makes you sound like a real asshole.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #59
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
BTW: Anyone that was there that helped my wife who sprained her ankle and took a nasty spill at COSM. Thank You
Oh wow small world. Was this at the party? A woman asked me if we could get her and a friend access to the elevator after an accident and I had to wrangle one of the club doormen downstairs to bring it up. Some generic party guy complained and the bouncer told him "I'll take you to the top of the stairwell and break your legs if you don't show some respect. Best bouncers in nyc I tell ya.

How's she doing?
Old 05-22-2006, 03:03 PM   #60
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozy Eulogist
Calling a very sweet girl a stuck-up liar for telling the truth to you and about 80 other Tool fanatics (hell every time I left the back room, about three fans hounded me) makes you sound like a real asshole.
... and his spelling makes him sound like an illiterate idiot. Everyone I spoke to at CoSM on Saturday was very very nice. It's people like this that give TOOL fans a bad name. Sorry to hear about it, Eulogist.
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2006, 11:36 PM   #61
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

I was a bit disappointed by both shows, but I enjoyed the excitement among all us Tool fans, it was great. Now I feel hollow though. Fucking Tool, always messing with us.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 04:46 AM   #62
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozy Eulogist
Oh wow small world. Was this at the party? A woman asked me if we could get her and a friend access to the elevator after an accident and I had to wrangle one of the club doormen downstairs to bring it up. Some generic party guy complained and the bouncer told him "I'll take you to the top of the stairwell and break your legs if you don't show some respect. Best bouncers in nyc I tell ya.

How's she doing?
She's ok, her knee is pretty sore since thats what she used to break her fall. She told me there was all kinds of drama with the elevator, there was some private party going on next door and it took her like 30min to get the elevator.

Thanks alot for all your help

Last edited by carfig; 05-23-2006 at 06:54 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 11:31 AM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

I think most of you are being a little too easy on the band, which is understandable. Did the show rock? Yes. But the song choices were so predictable and the setlist is really stale. I wouldn't call it very enthusiastic or inspired. I hope the "arena" tour improves upon this "warmup" tour. How many warmup dates do you need?

Ah well, back into my garbage can.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #64
Level 7 - Loquacious

True... I'm sure they didn't NEED 16 "warm-up" shows, but they wanted to play more shows and please more people before heading over to Europe, as opposed to the just FOUR US shows they played in 2001 before leaving for the summer. Sure I would have liked a longer set, especially considering that I went to 4 shows this month, but I'm not complaining. Some TOOL is better than none.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 12:30 PM   #65
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 2

Came up the coast from Richmond the see the show. I have to agree with the consensus and say the show was fantastic, really one of the best concerts I have ever been to. Granted, they did play alot of the more poplular choices, but the opening with Stinkfist was perfect, and what a place to see a rock show.

By the way, Jersey has got to be the biggest shithole on the entire East Coast, even possibly across the country. The state literally made me ill, as evidenced by the projectile vomiting on Jersey Tpke on the way back Sunday afternoon. Fuck what a hole, Im praying for a tidal wave to wash that fucker clean off the map.

Last edited by s_jhaver2004; 05-23-2006 at 12:32 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #66
On Probation

Bincount™: 12

Here is my NYC/Tool experience...

Flew up from Austin TX to Newwark and stayed with Family in Jersey on Thursday and Saturday morning took a ferry to Manhatten.

I was pretty spoiled and got a room at the Sheraton on 53rd st, just 2 blocks away from the CityCenter.

I did some shopping and walking around all afternoon and decided to walk by the venue to check it out, get some pictures and find out when doors open. They didn't have a sign outside saying TOOL was performing tonight or anything but it was a great looking building.

I was told doors were at 8 and figured 9:30 was when they would go on...
I walked back to my hotel and drank some brews, went out to dinner and then walked over to the CityCenter to find that there were two lines formed but they wern't long at all.

I wanted to get there early to make sure I was able to grab a poster and a shirt
(figured they would sell out of stuff fast, but they seemed to have plenty in stock).
They didn't allow re-entery so I just checked all my stuff and didn't have to worry about it for the night.

For reason I don't know, they didn't allow us to take our seats after the doors opened. We all had to stand or sit around untill 9 before taking our seats. I read the history on the wall while I waited. I thought it was pretty cool that the building was originally a mecca temple. Built in 1929, pretty fucking old!
The security seemed pretty relaxed after you got into the building. No one was really checking tickets to make sure you were sitting in the correct seat.

I had a mid mezz seat (row f) and dead center. I was very happy with my view. Though I was annoyed by the two guys and a girl that shared 2 seats with 3 people. It was obvious that they had moved up from the back, but I didn't care after the show started, I'm a tall guy =/

I had a nice convo with an older couple (in their upper 40s I assume) from philly and it was their first time seeing them. I told them they would be blown away and I think they were :p

Something interesting I saw before the show started was a family of 4 walked in all wearing what seemed to be some sort of backstage passes and had front row mezz seats. I wonder whose family that was or

Now on to the show....

I won't post the set list since its been posted already.
This was my 3rd time seeing them live.

When they opened with Stinkfist, my first thoughts were cool, they are changing it up a bit, perhaps we are going to get something different tonight but something in the back of my head was afraid they wouldn't play Rosetta Stoned.

Maynard really made me laugh with his dances this time around. Something about his belt buckle and boots with movements were funny as hell. He even put up two "cowboy guns" with his hands. I think he was still feeling alittle sick or drained physically but he didn't comment on it. He didn't seem to put much compassion and intensity into his dancing and movements, at least not compaired to the Lateralus tour. I also couldn't understand some of the stuff Maynard said inbetween songs. Some of it was mumbled and hard to hear and others were loud and clear. Strange.

Adam made alot of eye contact with the crowd I think, he and Justin were the only ones looking up at the crowd on the 2nd and 3rd levels, at least more so than Maynard and of course Danny. Adam seemed very humbled.

Justin was amazing of course, looking like Jesus with that beard of his. He looked like he was enjoying himself, drinking a beer and just jamming hard.

Now on to Danny... Umm when did he change his setup?! High-hat in the center of his kit?! The man is incredible. He was switching some things up and doing some different techiques at some points. There was some sort of computer or something to the left of him he keept looking down at, I didn't have a good angle of what it was tho..

The set-up and visuals I enjoyed alot too. The orange and reds and greens was great during Jambi and I really enjoyed the water ripple effects toward the end of the show.

The setlist was good, it's pretty obvious that this is indeed just a warm-up show with mostly their "hits" and such. I only wished they played more from 10,000 days. We didn't get the Pot or Right in Two.

I had a great time and can't wait for their fall tour. I'm sure they will have something up their sleeves.

ps. I sorta of kicking my self for not staying back by the tour busses and trying to get my poster signed. Who else got to meet the band? blah
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 01:25 PM   #67
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
She's ok, her knee is pretty sore since thats what she used to break her fall. She told me there was all kinds of drama with the elevator, there was some private party going on next door and it took her like 30min to get the elevator.

Thanks alot for all your help
Yeah, some of the biggest clubs in NYC surround CoSM, and one of them uses the frieght elevator as the main entrance into their club (apperently it's a hip and trendy idea). You have to establish with the guards that you are not some dumbfuck trying to get into the club, and then explain the situation using the words "injury" and "handicapped" as much as possible. That first part takes a good bit of time...thank God I'm big, and I certainly did not have the club look so they snapped out of ignore mode quickly.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #68
Level 1 - Lurker

My $.02

The show was great -- so many people were singing along with Maynard that it made up for the low vocals -- the crowd's energy was the most I've felt in all of the Tool concerts (or any concert for that matter) than I've ever been to (since '96). I also felt the steel in the upper balcony bending -- it was awesome! I started out against the railing of the upper balcony until I was chased by security twice -- then took my seat at F10/F12 -- where I stood next to a guy with his arms crossed the whole night -- no movement or sign of life at all -- that kind of brought my me down a bit...but I fed off the rest of the crowd instead. It was nice to see there were other 30-something people there too -- the arena tours make me feel way too old.

Somewhat off topic, but Was anyone else at the Ben Ash bar on the corner of 55th & 7th? It was one hell of a pre-show with those two bartenders "serving" us. The hot redhead who just came here from Denmark and goes by the name "Rose", was clearly wearing no underwear or bra under that skin-tight black dress -- I have to figure out how to get myself back to that bar -- "Honey, I'm going to the ballet tonight at NY City Center, see you later"....hmmmm - or "Honey, going to Carnegie Hall to catch Loren Maazel and the NY Philharmonic..." It was probably the biggest put-on to get tips, but she sure knew how to make it seem like she was interested -- probably cursing us as "obnoxious Americans" at the same time. Oh well, it's nice to dream. I was at the same bar on Friday night before the show and that night it was a gay bartender (self proclaimed), but next to me I was being hit-on by a 26 year-old Dominican girl who was just there for some drinks -- I was just drinking some Guiness and reading my newspaper. I was a good boy and just smiled, talked a bit and then had my affair with tool instead.

All in all, it was an awesome show -- I am disappointed that they didn't play "The Pot" on Friday or Saturday, but I'll survive.

Take care.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 03:02 PM   #69
lacks satan

Bincount™: 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDEXorphan
while there my friend banjaminjamiahjamin asked one of the stuck up employees if tool had been there yet? and she said no. then benz girlfrind said shez probally lying and the chick got angry and defencive. later we would find out that the whole band was there in the back room at the time hanging out with alex. probably preforming some homosexual ritual involving the ingestion of maynards seamen out of alexs ass with a straw.
since i can't edit the post any more for some reason. i decided to reply with an apology. i was informed that it was actually the guy that was lying. i am formally apologizing to the sweet girl that i always thought was nice up until i thought she was two faced. i'm sorry that i was misinformed. and hope that i can be forgiven. i was always very happy to see her smiling face when i walk in the door. she always makes me feel welcome when i visit cosm. and yes i am an asshole.

if anybody else would like to give me shit about this, my disgusting post, my horrible spelling and grammar please feel free to e-mail me at: [email protected]
or AIM me at:
theDEXorphan
or just private message me here.
this way we can leave the board open for serious reviews and stop clogging it with hateful jabbering. doo u poople reali cuare dat mowch aboot spieling

and someone please pass this on to the girl i wrongfully accused.

peace,
theDEXorphan

p.s.: the post was all in good fun and i just wanted to make people smile or cringe in an otherwise straight forward and boring place.

also was anybody else offended that they played the pot and right in 2 in boston. then maynard said that we were smelly. i hardly think that was a reason to jipp us on at leaste one or the other. arg!!! i hate tool.

Last edited by theDEXorphan; 05-23-2006 at 04:00 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 05:29 PM   #70
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Ok, so im a little confused about the lack of commentary about the fact that adam and danny were both at COSM at the afterparty. I guess there were relatively few tdn folk there. What can i say though, it was freaking amazing getting to meet and actually talk to those guys. Very approachable, very friendly and dare i say goofy guys. It was a truly special night and would love to hear more from other people who also got to experience this. To those of you who opted not to go to the gallery post show, what can i say, you missed out on a truly surreal night.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:15 PM   #71
Banned.

Bincount™: 2701

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulslot
Ok, so im a little confused about the lack of commentary about the fact that adam and danny were both at COSM at the afterparty. I guess there were relatively few tdn folk there. What can i say though, it was freaking amazing getting to meet and actually talk to those guys. Very approachable, very friendly and dare i say goofy guys. It was a truly special night and would love to hear more from other people who also got to experience this. To those of you who opted not to go to the gallery post show, what can i say, you missed out on a truly surreal night.
im still kickin myself for not going.....however my friends and i were dead tired, and i heard danny and adam showed up at what 4am? that would have been four hours of chillin in CoSM..i probably would have left by then

and yeah wheres the damn mp3s
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #72
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Damnit don't rub it in. I worked my ASS off to make it to four shows on the mini-tour, and unfortunately I had a 7 AM flight to catch on Sunday morning to get back home. There's just no way I could have gone to the CoSM after-party and still caught my flight. Damnit all to hell.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #73
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

It was really not my intention to rub it in, as it were. I was just sort of confused as to why nobody was talking about this..i thought it was a relatively big deal. And yeah, as to the other question, danny and adam did show up quite late in the night..i want to say danny showed up around 3 and adam about 45 minutes later or so. To be honest with you, for various reasons time was somewhat distorted for me that night so i cant say for sure what time it was that they got there. Both stayed for a considerable amount of time as well.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:00 AM   #74
Level 7 - Loquacious

Hehe... I know. My frustration is with Jetblue... not with you of course. Just trying to vent a little.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-24-2006, 10:13 AM   #75
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 41

soulslot- can you tell us a bit more what went on at this party?

optimistic- the only way you could have done it is pull an all nighter and go straight to the airport from the party. Believe me Im kicking myself too! I was about 95% sure Tool were gonna show up at this party, and yet didnt go, wtf was I thinking?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #76
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
optimistic- the only way you could have done it is pull an all nighter and go straight to the airport from the party. Believe me Im kicking myself too! I was about 95% sure Tool were gonna show up at this party, and yet didnt go, wtf was I thinking?
Actually, I hung around outside the venue long enough to talk to Adam, then took the subway back to my friend's apartment, had a sandwich, packed, then got back on the subway to JFK. I got there around 6 and my flight left at 7. I DID pull an all-nighter, and there was no room for the CoSM party. :( Unless I had packed beforehand and taken my suitcase WITH ME to the CityCenter....

Incidentally, where'd you get your avatar?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #77
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
soulslot- can you tell us a bit more what went on at this party?

Well, essentially the party was a kind of regular event that alex grey holds at his gallery on about a monthly basis. Typically, the parties involve some kind of psytrance show with assorted djs and what not spinning some beats, visuals, etc. Additionally, alex and alyson grey, as well as some other artists were doing live painting...which is quite cool to watch. Because this party fell on a particularly toolish weekend, it had a like vibe and alex was paining a piece that was a derivative of the lateralus concept (a seemingly bewildered person amidst flaming eyes) Otherwise, i mean, it was just a party..the entire gallery was open so viewing the art was an option. The psytrance/rave type shit was going on in a separate open space called "cosmosis" while there were also some djs spinning in the gallery itself. When Adam and Danny showed, it was nothing formal..in other words, it wasnt any kind of normal meet and greet situation. It was just them kind walking around taking it all in, visiting with alex a whole lot and at one point i remember seeing danny in the gift shop. IT was funny because you actually walk past the gift shop to get from one area to another so from time to time you would see people walk by it, do a double take, and then realize who that was in there. Anyhow, i dont really know what else to say ..thats about the sum of it.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:14 PM   #78
not my cup of tea

Bincount™: 4643

Quote:
It was really not my intention to rub it in, as it were. I was just sort of confused as to why nobody was talking about this..i thought it was a relatively big deal. And yeah, as to the other question, danny and adam did show up quite late in the night..i want to say danny showed up around 3 and adam about 45 minutes later or so. To be honest with you, for various reasons time was somewhat distorted for me that night so i cant say for sure what time it was that they got there. Both stayed for a considerable amount of time as well.
i talked about it...

Jesus was a Jew.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-27-2006, 06:56 AM   #79
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolism462
i talked about it...
Noted. Im glad you got to experience this too, sounds like you appreciated it just as much as i did.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: