opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Poetry & Prose
User Name
Password
Old 12-14-2002, 09:58 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
graduation speech (not too long... please read)

this is the graduation speech i gave at my graduation last june... i was salutatorian and was allowed to give a speech- this is what i came up with.

I stand before you today, prepared to give a speech that is unlike all other graduation speeches that will be given by a graduating senior this year. I am not going to talk to you about how this day marks a new beginning, how we are taking the first, real, big step in our lives or about any of the other proverbs present in so many cliché-ridden graduation speeches. This speech is about choices—the choice whether or not to be happy, the choice whether or not to be successful and most importantly, the choice whether or not to be you. Tyler Durden once said, “You are not your job. You are not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the contents of your wallet. You are not the clothes you wear. You are not your Grande latte. You are not the car you drive. You are not your khakis.” You are you. You are not what everyone wants you to be no matter how much you wish it to be so. Therefore, I say stop trying. Be you. Be the real Stefan _____, the real Jenny _____, the real Brandon _____, the real Lauren _____, the real whomever you may be. Be you. Do not settle for what others tell you to be or want you to be. A world full of followers has created a general acceptance of this mindless endeavor that tells us to be what we are not—to be someone else. We no longer know who we are. Timothy Leary says that we have never known who we are. Leary said, “Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we’re going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the education authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness; chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself. Think for yourself. Question authority.” To become your true self you must sacrifice. You will sacrifice trends, fashions, friends, and perhaps family or beliefs. Maynard James Keenan has said, “Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning. A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing…” When you believe in nothing, you can know yourself and you will be happy. You will experience true bliss and be entirely content. Your breakfast will taste better than any you have ever eaten. With this happiness comes success. All undertakings will be done by choice, and you, now conscious, will find success in all that you do, for the measure of success is the joy obtained from your experience. Choices plague our lives like curses plague a sailor’s dialogue. To make them few and easy to conquer one must think for himself so that he may know himself. On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero. Make the space on your timeline between this day and the end of your life precious. And finally, to the Smithson Valley High School graduating class of 2002 I have one last remark that sums up the assortment of emotions that we are feeling right now, during this fantastic moment that we all are sharing…”Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!”

i sent this to the band but havent gotten a response (and understandably so...) but im really not expecting one. this is not to beg for a response but rather just to give proof that i have created something positive.
show me somethin... show me somethin... show me somethin... show me somethin... i thought i could make it end... i thought i could wash the stains away... i thought i could break the circle if i slipped right into your skin... so sweet was your surrender.... we have become one... i have become my terror and you my precious lamb and martyr...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 10:13 AM   #2
Human

Bincount™: 2
Curiosly

Great.
In my graduation last month, I just stood there:
"Thank you for all. Be yourself. Sex, drugs and rock n roll"
Old 12-16-2002, 07:13 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

That was great because the few people in the crowd who know who MJK is will totally appreciate that. Your principle is thinking that Durden is some new age philosopher while he's actually just from a movie. One thing that I must say is that when you quoted MJK and Leary, people probably stopped listening because they just figured you were some hippy or anti-religion (and maybe you are).
Old 12-16-2002, 08:03 AM   #4
Cid
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 190
that's a great speech. i wish someone at my graduation spoke about something other than the "first big step" bullshit that i've heard at every graduation that i've been to.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:58 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i dont remember what my graduation speech was about, asi was blitzed at it;however, i remember that the girl [qouted] something from [Our Lady Peace]..duno not exactly excited but what the hey.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:31 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

oh but tyler is the pioneer of a new age philosophy... he is a creator and i am merely a "holy medium" if you will...
show me somethin... show me somethin... show me somethin... show me somethin... i thought i could make it end... i thought i could wash the stains away... i thought i could break the circle if i slipped right into your skin... so sweet was your surrender.... we have become one... i have become my terror and you my precious lamb and martyr...
Old 12-18-2002, 06:55 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

that was a great graduation speech. i graduated high school in 1990, long before tool. i wrote an essay on the similarites of Fight Club and Aenima tat you might be interested in. It's posted under the album opinions for aenima.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:36 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

hmmm

lovely speech n all but wouldn't it have been better to truly create something? You talk about hearing too many cliches in graduation speeches - but one of those cliches must be quotes from great thinkers who have inspired the graduate? I guess I'm being picky, but as impressive as the speech is, perhaps it would have been better to 'think for yourself' (oh my, the irony!) rather than use other's words? And Tyler didn't say that. It was Chuck Palahnuik. And I'm not entirely sure if Maynard wrote the Aenima liner notes.

Sorry for shitting on your graduation...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: