Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Apr-July 2007
User Name
Password
vankrasn's Avatar vankrasn
06-11-2007, 01:34 PM

My 7th show. Of course they were great, but the set list wasn't my favorite. The Rosetta Stoned-Flood-Intermission-W1&2 meant the show was almost completely instrumental for about an hour. I wish those songs had been mixed up a bit with something like The Patient, or Prison Sex, or changed into disposition/reflection/triad (holy crap that was an amazing trio live). I think I got spoiled seeing one Alice in Chains show in October where they got through so much of their catalog, and I've been to 3 Tool shows so far this tour and there has been hardly any variety in set list. I guess my favorites aren't their favorites, but I still love the band. Here are the setlists side-by-side. I was ready for another song after Vicarious, but was sorely disappointed when the lights came on. The Pot was definitely a highlight of the last leg and was missed this time around. I would have much rather heard that than Rosetta Stoned again. Se la vie, until next tour, or the next APC album

Jun 8, 2007..............................Sep 30/Oct 7, 2006
Jambi ......................................Stinkfist
Stinkfist ..................................The Pot
Forty-Six & 2........................... Forty Six & 2
Schism ....................................Jambi
Rosetta Stoned.......................Schism
Flood ......................................Lost Keys
Wings for Marie.......................Rosetta Stoned
10,000 Days ..........................Wings For Marie
Lateralus................................10,000 Days
Vicarious.................................Lateralu s
...............................................Vic arious
...............................................Æne ma
Old 06-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #41
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/06/08 - Baltimore, MD - 1st Mariner Arena

My 7th show. Of course they were great, but the set list wasn't my favorite. The Rosetta Stoned-Flood-Intermission-W1&2 meant the show was almost completely instrumental for about an hour. I wish those songs had been mixed up a bit with something like The Patient, or Prison Sex, or changed into disposition/reflection/triad (holy crap that was an amazing trio live). I think I got spoiled seeing one Alice in Chains show in October where they got through so much of their catalog, and I've been to 3 Tool shows so far this tour and there has been hardly any variety in set list. I guess my favorites aren't their favorites, but I still love the band. Here are the setlists side-by-side. I was ready for another song after Vicarious, but was sorely disappointed when the lights came on. The Pot was definitely a highlight of the last leg and was missed this time around. I would have much rather heard that than Rosetta Stoned again. Se la vie, until next tour, or the next APC album

Jun 8, 2007..............................Sep 30/Oct 7, 2006
Jambi ......................................Stinkfist
Stinkfist ..................................The Pot
Forty-Six & 2........................... Forty Six & 2
Schism ....................................Jambi
Rosetta Stoned.......................Schism
Flood ......................................Lost Keys
Wings for Marie.......................Rosetta Stoned
10,000 Days ..........................Wings For Marie
Lateralus................................10,000 Days
Vicarious.................................Lateralu s
...............................................Vic arious
...............................................Æne ma
OFFLINE |  
The Spanish Wangler's Avatar The Spanish Wangler
06-12-2007, 09:52 AM

Let me start by saying that this band and this performance was spine-tingling. Me and my girlfriend, along with two very close friends of mine (ex-bandmates) were located in section 113 row L; you might have seen us....we were the ones wearing the shit eating grins the whole night. About an hour before the show we enjoyed some ganga-butter cookies infused with a little psilocybin, and the goon factor began to take hold as the roadies were tuning instruments before TOOL went on. We didnt have too much, just enough for each of us to become human-sized music-sensitive nipples with a fetish for low droning frequencies and drop D debauchery.

While we were waiting for the show to begin, I was cracking WISE (not the potato chips). I remember cracking my cronies up with such statements as:

*In a Triumph the Insult Comic Dog Type Voice and with an imaginary puppet in my hand*
OOOOOHHHHHH YYYYEEEEEESSSSSS.......SO DEES IZ DE TOOOOL CONCERT YEEEEESSS?

DERE SURE IZ A LOT OF TOOLBAGS AT DE TOOL CONCERT!

FOR ME TO POOOOOP ON!

and yes, there were a lot of toolbags at the TOOL concert. This is not an understatement. I mean, I'm not trying to prejudge people, but jesus......there sure were a lot of toolbags at de TOOL concert.......PERIOD. A lot of "mainstream" type-people showed up....and I'm sure I saw plenty of those girls with the "Paris Hilton" big ass, FACE COVERING glasses that make an ugly girl kinda pretty in a low light situation featuring slutty outfits and big globbity globs of makeup caked on their tanning bed scorched faces(Thanks for the dedication to these "Paris Wannabes" MJK) and their knuckle-headed frat boy boyfriends that group TOOL with bands like SLIPBISCUIT and NICKLECREED, all the while giving true fans of this amazing music a bad name. I mean, I have some intelligent friends that used to think TOOL is for complete morons because of people just like these. Dont worry though, I got them to figure it out for themselves and to forget about the other people.........which is what I did when the lights went down at the show on June 8th.

They opened with Jambi, and I could not have been more PUMPED! The first few measures of drums in this song sound like a TROGLODYTE'S HARLEY DAVIDSON revvvvvving up with a gas-tank spilling out high octane hemoglobin! Danny is the master of finding an inner pulse of 4/4 over any odd time signature (and this one is pretty damn odd!) when he drops that steady kick drum over Adam's 6-then-7 strum guitar pattern, it makes me want to zombie stomp. I just love Adam's solo on this one too, it makes you want to tilt back about 37 degrees lay deep in the pocket and straight-up groove. After this song was over I looked over at my friends....2 who had never seen TOOL and one who has seen them about 6 times going back to the Aenima tour....and noticed menichal grins and wide-eyed astonishment plastered on their faces. YES!!!

Next was Stinkfist (I thought the Paris shoutout was mega-appropriate) and 46&2. I saw them open up with Stinkfist in Pittsburgh on Sept. 26, 2006 and it sent those same feelings running up and down my spine. During these songs I could actually feel my back involuntarily cracking up and down as I moved and undulated to the rhythm. Needless to say, it felt REALLY FUCKING GREAT. Mr. Crowley....I mean Mr. Carey's double time, phase-laden hi-hats in the instrumental part of this song act like a mind blender. I looked over after Stinkfist and my girlfriend was crying. It made her cry. My eyes were welling with tears also and I didnt know why. I dont really buy the whole lachrymology thing, but damn.....they really did it to us, and it felt amazing. Their music made us shed tears of joy........I'd like to see NICKLECREED do that. Then 46&2 began and we were still overwhelmed with an amazing emotional feeling. I am a bassist, so I really enjoy this song intro/verse and the powerful chorus of "MY SHADOW".......and of course Danny's solo that makes every hair on my body stand on end at its completion. I have a lot of bootleg videos from 1992-2006 and everytime I see/hear this solo it has the same effect.....goosebumps. The end of this song is really sad as the bassline lingers on those alternating notes and Danny hits those increasingly slower tabla notes......it felt like leaving home and never seeing any of your friends again or something like that. Really sad.

Schism was next, which was really nasty with that "cracked out" instrumental part in the middle....it makes the song really come together when played live. I just love to sing along with this one too.

NO LOST KEYS/BLAME HOFMANN!!! Wow.
Athough I really like to watch what Justin does in this ambient tune (I saw it performed in Pittsburgh and he does some really cool feedback in front of his amp with a whammy pedal and a flanger....I didnt even know it was bass on the album!) I didnt miss it. They got right to the point with Rosetta Stoned, which is one song that my friend really wanted to hear. THEY TORE THIS ONE UP TOO! Maynard's vocals in the kickoff of this song sounded GREAT! I really liked the cool synth textures throughout as well. The level of communication between bass and drums when everything else drops out during the breakdown is ludicrous. I cant beleive that Justin can internalize these bass-lines and concentrate while Danny goes on a different tangent of biological rhythm. GOD DAMN....SHIT THE BED! (i just love screaming that one at the top of my lungs!)

Then it happened........I heard the inception of FLOOD! YES!!!!!!
Justin's tone was like BIG BASS BALLS OF FUZZ!!! This song is fucking BADASS and I did notice that a lot of people didnt realize what it was as it began. Its just great to hear something off of Undertow that isnt SOBER. It was a real treat to experience that one live!

I had seen the lighters before, and I had to go on a mission to get my friends some H2O, before we all dehydrated....it was FREAKIN hot in there and we were all dying of thirst. When I bought the water the guy sat down two plastic cups on the counter and the deep droning bass was making a steady pattern in the water, much like in Jurassic Park when the T-Rex is coming!

Wings, 10KD are from another planet. The visuals they project make a full spacial design of whatever arena they happen to playing in that night. Thats why I tried to explain why I wanted to sit a little farther back to really see the "whole show". I cant figure out if it's just the fog, or if are actually able to project the same cloud images that are shown on the stage into the lasers and create a hologram type of image. Either way, Its a very powerful song that made me reflect on loved ones that I have lost as well. This song has such a powerful meaning and I can see why a lot of "KNUCKLEHEADS" hate on it. They dont appreciate art, and they never will. To them, TOOL is just "KEWL LAZERZ" and "DROP-D". Let me borrow a phrase from Zacarías Manuel ("Zack" de la Rocha) and simply state WAKE UUUUUUPPPPP! This song is like a good book and it takes you on a journey of very powerful emotions....... all building up to a final release. Well done.

Next was Lateralus.......
I cant get enough of this one. The first time I felt this song live in Pitt., It felt like it shook my spirit and elevated it several inches up and out of my physical being. I was spiritually levitating during the part where Justin uses that whammy flanger effect and Maynard is singing....

With my feet upon the ground I lose myself
between the sounds and open wide to suck it in,
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.

I love when Danny nails that GONG!

Amazing. The drum solo with Melt Bananna's drummer was "NEAT"....but every time Danny would respond to what the other drummer did, he made it look like childs play. It was impressive, but when Danny got to solo by himself it was REALLY BADASS, and I had to re-affix my jaw afterwards. I can see why this one is a favorite of TOOL fans because it really defines what they are capable of . I would love to hold that pulsing open D string groove that Justin keeps while Danny manipulates the meter of the song in every which way. He knows his role as a musician. He is the spinal cord of the band (which is actually a living, breathing organism) that the sonic flesh is built upon........

Vicarious IS a good closer because it FUCKING ROCKS. I love how they start the song live.....Justin hits a note to signal that he is ready and then Adam plays a muted note through his delay pedal that is actually a 4 count to start the weaving prelude that the guitar/bass interplay between one another. Find a live recording and check it out....they do it every time.....I think its such a great way to start a song live. I really liked the static TV screen images used on this song too.....FUCK FOX NEWS....FUCK ALL THAT GOVERMENT SANCTIONED INFORMATION AND FUCK ALL THE REALITY SHOWS WITH THEIR 15 MINUTES OF FAME "TV STARS" THAT PUMP NEEDLESS EXTERIOR DRAMA AND NONSENSICLE IDEALS INTO THE SKULLS OF FAT DOCILE AMERICAN CONSUMERS. STOP CONSUMING MUSIC LIKE YOU CONSUME YOUR DOUBLE CHEESEBURGERS AMERICA!

Nuff said.

I screamed my head off when MJK gave the crowd the last line too! The crowd could have responded a little louder, but you have to remember, most of them were wearing new Dave Mathews Tie-Dyed T-shirts, and it was so hot that the make-up had melted and dried over the mouths of all the Paris Hilton lookalikes in the audience (like they knew what was going on anyway....jeeeez).

ALL IN ALL THE CONCERT WAS HEAPING OVER WITH MARVELMENT!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

HEAPING OVER WITH MARVELMENT

Let me start by saying that this band and this performance was spine-tingling. Me and my girlfriend, along with two very close friends of mine (ex-bandmates) were located in section 113 row L; you might have seen us....we were the ones wearing the shit eating grins the whole night. About an hour before the show we enjoyed some ganga-butter cookies infused with a little psilocybin, and the goon factor began to take hold as the roadies were tuning instruments before TOOL went on. We didnt have too much, just enough for each of us to become human-sized music-sensitive nipples with a fetish for low droning frequencies and drop D debauchery.

While we were waiting for the show to begin, I was cracking WISE (not the potato chips). I remember cracking my cronies up with such statements as:

*In a Triumph the Insult Comic Dog Type Voice and with an imaginary puppet in my hand*
OOOOOHHHHHH YYYYEEEEEESSSSSS.......SO DEES IZ DE TOOOOL CONCERT YEEEEESSS?

DERE SURE IZ A LOT OF TOOLBAGS AT DE TOOL CONCERT!

FOR ME TO POOOOOP ON!

and yes, there were a lot of toolbags at the TOOL concert. This is not an understatement. I mean, I'm not trying to prejudge people, but jesus......there sure were a lot of toolbags at de TOOL concert.......PERIOD. A lot of "mainstream" type-people showed up....and I'm sure I saw plenty of those girls with the "Paris Hilton" big ass, FACE COVERING glasses that make an ugly girl kinda pretty in a low light situation featuring slutty outfits and big globbity globs of makeup caked on their tanning bed scorched faces(Thanks for the dedication to these "Paris Wannabes" MJK) and their knuckle-headed frat boy boyfriends that group TOOL with bands like SLIPBISCUIT and NICKLECREED, all the while giving true fans of this amazing music a bad name. I mean, I have some intelligent friends that used to think TOOL is for complete morons because of people just like these. Dont worry though, I got them to figure it out for themselves and to forget about the other people.........which is what I did when the lights went down at the show on June 8th.

They opened with Jambi, and I could not have been more PUMPED! The first few measures of drums in this song sound like a TROGLODYTE'S HARLEY DAVIDSON revvvvvving up with a gas-tank spilling out high octane hemoglobin! Danny is the master of finding an inner pulse of 4/4 over any odd time signature (and this one is pretty damn odd!) when he drops that steady kick drum over Adam's 6-then-7 strum guitar pattern, it makes me want to zombie stomp. I just love Adam's solo on this one too, it makes you want to tilt back about 37 degrees lay deep in the pocket and straight-up groove. After this song was over I looked over at my friends....2 who had never seen TOOL and one who has seen them about 6 times going back to the Aenima tour....and noticed menichal grins and wide-eyed astonishment plastered on their faces. YES!!!

Next was Stinkfist (I thought the Paris shoutout was mega-appropriate) and 46&2. I saw them open up with Stinkfist in Pittsburgh on Sept. 26, 2006 and it sent those same feelings running up and down my spine. During these songs I could actually feel my back involuntarily cracking up and down as I moved and undulated to the rhythm. Needless to say, it felt REALLY FUCKING GREAT. Mr. Crowley....I mean Mr. Carey's double time, phase-laden hi-hats in the instrumental part of this song act like a mind blender. I looked over after Stinkfist and my girlfriend was crying. It made her cry. My eyes were welling with tears also and I didnt know why. I dont really buy the whole lachrymology thing, but damn.....they really did it to us, and it felt amazing. Their music made us shed tears of joy........I'd like to see NICKLECREED do that. Then 46&2 began and we were still overwhelmed with an amazing emotional feeling. I am a bassist, so I really enjoy this song intro/verse and the powerful chorus of "MY SHADOW".......and of course Danny's solo that makes every hair on my body stand on end at its completion. I have a lot of bootleg videos from 1992-2006 and everytime I see/hear this solo it has the same effect.....goosebumps. The end of this song is really sad as the bassline lingers on those alternating notes and Danny hits those increasingly slower tabla notes......it felt like leaving home and never seeing any of your friends again or something like that. Really sad.

Schism was next, which was really nasty with that "cracked out" instrumental part in the middle....it makes the song really come together when played live. I just love to sing along with this one too.

NO LOST KEYS/BLAME HOFMANN!!! Wow.
Athough I really like to watch what Justin does in this ambient tune (I saw it performed in Pittsburgh and he does some really cool feedback in front of his amp with a whammy pedal and a flanger....I didnt even know it was bass on the album!) I didnt miss it. They got right to the point with Rosetta Stoned, which is one song that my friend really wanted to hear. THEY TORE THIS ONE UP TOO! Maynard's vocals in the kickoff of this song sounded GREAT! I really liked the cool synth textures throughout as well. The level of communication between bass and drums when everything else drops out during the breakdown is ludicrous. I cant beleive that Justin can internalize these bass-lines and concentrate while Danny goes on a different tangent of biological rhythm. GOD DAMN....SHIT THE BED! (i just love screaming that one at the top of my lungs!)

Then it happened........I heard the inception of FLOOD! YES!!!!!!
Justin's tone was like BIG BASS BALLS OF FUZZ!!! This song is fucking BADASS and I did notice that a lot of people didnt realize what it was as it began. Its just great to hear something off of Undertow that isnt SOBER. It was a real treat to experience that one live!

I had seen the lighters before, and I had to go on a mission to get my friends some H2O, before we all dehydrated....it was FREAKIN hot in there and we were all dying of thirst. When I bought the water the guy sat down two plastic cups on the counter and the deep droning bass was making a steady pattern in the water, much like in Jurassic Park when the T-Rex is coming!

Wings, 10KD are from another planet. The visuals they project make a full spacial design of whatever arena they happen to playing in that night. Thats why I tried to explain why I wanted to sit a little farther back to really see the "whole show". I cant figure out if it's just the fog, or if are actually able to project the same cloud images that are shown on the stage into the lasers and create a hologram type of image. Either way, Its a very powerful song that made me reflect on loved ones that I have lost as well. This song has such a powerful meaning and I can see why a lot of "KNUCKLEHEADS" hate on it. They dont appreciate art, and they never will. To them, TOOL is just "KEWL LAZERZ" and "DROP-D". Let me borrow a phrase from Zacarías Manuel ("Zack" de la Rocha) and simply state WAKE UUUUUUPPPPP! This song is like a good book and it takes you on a journey of very powerful emotions....... all building up to a final release. Well done.

Next was Lateralus.......
I cant get enough of this one. The first time I felt this song live in Pitt., It felt like it shook my spirit and elevated it several inches up and out of my physical being. I was spiritually levitating during the part where Justin uses that whammy flanger effect and Maynard is singing....

With my feet upon the ground I lose myself
between the sounds and open wide to suck it in,
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.

I love when Danny nails that GONG!

Amazing. The drum solo with Melt Bananna's drummer was "NEAT"....but every time Danny would respond to what the other drummer did, he made it look like childs play. It was impressive, but when Danny got to solo by himself it was REALLY BADASS, and I had to re-affix my jaw afterwards. I can see why this one is a favorite of TOOL fans because it really defines what they are capable of . I would love to hold that pulsing open D string groove that Justin keeps while Danny manipulates the meter of the song in every which way. He knows his role as a musician. He is the spinal cord of the band (which is actually a living, breathing organism) that the sonic flesh is built upon........

Vicarious IS a good closer because it FUCKING ROCKS. I love how they start the song live.....Justin hits a note to signal that he is ready and then Adam plays a muted note through his delay pedal that is actually a 4 count to start the weaving prelude that the guitar/bass interplay between one another. Find a live recording and check it out....they do it every time.....I think its such a great way to start a song live. I really liked the static TV screen images used on this song too.....FUCK FOX NEWS....FUCK ALL THAT GOVERMENT SANCTIONED INFORMATION AND FUCK ALL THE REALITY SHOWS WITH THEIR 15 MINUTES OF FAME "TV STARS" THAT PUMP NEEDLESS EXTERIOR DRAMA AND NONSENSICLE IDEALS INTO THE SKULLS OF FAT DOCILE AMERICAN CONSUMERS. STOP CONSUMING MUSIC LIKE YOU CONSUME YOUR DOUBLE CHEESEBURGERS AMERICA!

Nuff said.

I screamed my head off when MJK gave the crowd the last line too! The crowd could have responded a little louder, but you have to remember, most of them were wearing new Dave Mathews Tie-Dyed T-shirts, and it was so hot that the make-up had melted and dried over the mouths of all the Paris Hilton lookalikes in the audience (like they knew what was going on anyway....jeeeez).

ALL IN ALL THE CONCERT WAS HEAPING OVER WITH MARVELMENT!
06-12-2007, 09:54 AM

CONTINUED......

A FEW OTHER COMMENTS:

Another friend of mine who met at our house before the show, drove 2.5
hours to get there, and provided the DELICIOUS cookies didnt get to
enjoy the entire show. He and his wife are true intellegent music
lovers and deserved to be at this show, but by a fucked up twist of
fate, they got screwed out of it. We were leaving my house to drive
the 25 min. to Baltimore and his car would not start. I gave him a
jump and we got the car running, but as we were heading through
downtown Baltimore he said it started shaking and bucking when he
would slow down......right as we were turning into the parking garage
his car shut off......it sucked. He drifted to the side of the
entrance and we tried to jump start the car again.....it was no
beans....the car was dead for good this time. We had to pushit (no
pun intended) to the nearest available parking spot....at the time we
didnt realize it but it was a FEDERAL parking spot....like where
Ronald Regan would have parked to see a TOOL concert or something.
The security guards had to call to see if he could leave his car
there....they said HELLZ NO and there is a $250 fine for doing that
and he would also be towed......I felt SSSSOOOOOO bad for them. After
parking my vehicle I met back up with them at the enterence....they
had to get the car towed to some repair shop which was closed and it
was left in a super-sketchy way on the sidewalk of downtown Baltimore.
In the end they had to get a hotel room and deal with that bullshit.
They only saw 2 songs because they got inside of the 1st Mariner and
security had roped off the top section that they had tickets for (he
ordered them the first day they went on sale too so he could get a
good view of the "whole show"....what a fucking rip). They said it
was HOT AS BALLS and they went back to the Days Inn. I really wish
that he could have been there, because he and his wife are true
thinkers and appreciators of TOOL's music and message (not to mention
the Unicursal Hexagram Tattoo on his chest!).
In his own words......it was "SHITTY BALLS"!

MOVING ON......

Some other people I know that were at the show said it was TERRIBLE.
The sound was TERRIBLE, the venue was TERRIBLE, and TOOL was.....you
guessed it.....TERRIBLE. It made me wonder if this person was blinded
and deprived of his hearing for the duration of the show......or if he
was even at the same show that I saw. This person is a self
proclaimed OGT From '92, and thinks that "these 30 minute TOOL songs
blow goats for breakfast". If they would have played nothing BUT
OPIATE and UNDERTOW songs he would have been totally satisfied. That
material is 15 years old. As a musician and artist I fully understand
how an artist/artists must EVOLVE their style and REFINE their
message in order to not only keep things interesting for them, but
also to challenge themselves and their audience with new things. This
guy doesnt "GET IT" at all. He just bitched about all the stuff HE
wanted THEM to do, and how much better THEY were when he saw them at
lollapalooza on a side stage....and at smaller venues in the 90's. I
love OPIATE and UNDERTOW....A LOT....BUT COME ON. In all of TOOL's
albums there is a definate evoloutionary progress.....much like Alex
Grey's CoSM gallery (which I saw a week before the concert on a full
moon)......from material base elements (opiate, undertow) to an
interconnectedness with one's surroundings and a level of spiritual
and mental energy that was not attainable at first (aenima, lateralus,
10KD). I guess he cannot see that evoloution.....even though its
right there in front of his nose....with Aenima as the fulcrum of this
growth process that has spanned nearly 20 years. If he were an "OGT"
Beatles fan he would only want them to play that "teddy boy" leather
jacket raunchy type of greaser rock they did in Hamburg, Germany in
1958.....and scoff at albums like REVOLVER, SGT. PEPPERS, THE WHITE
ALBUM ETC. for being different from the "old favorites" that he's used
to. Revolver and Rubber Soul are very much like Aenima in that they
are the album(s) in which a switch is flipped and true musical
evoloution begins to take place. These albums are the crux/fulcrum of
these band's catalog and are radical transitions into a new style of
music that didnt exist in the past! I have a feeling there are a lot
of these OGT's out there, and I am sorry about their
affliction.....once again.....WAKE UUUUUUUUPPPPP! After the show was
over the guy behind me was pissed because they didnt play
SOBER..........AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! ANOTHER OGT with an ATTITUDE.

TOOL evolved, TOOL grew in unimaginable ways, you didnt, SHITTY BALLS!

And now.....some afterthoughts and loose questions. (help me out here!)

Can TOOL pull off the lasers outdoors? (like at Bonnaroo)
I bet this show is much better indoors!

When was the last time Maynard "Gushed" like that for the audience.
He was really apprecitaive at this show, and from what I've read on
these posts he goes for like 5 show stints of not saying ANYTHING to
the audience. The Baltimore show was special for some reason.

Did they play FLOOD on the Lateralus tour at all?

Does Danny usually tour with his bronze cast drum kit? I didnt notice
it in any of the bootlegs I have or at other shows.....

Do they project images into the lasers when they fan out? It kind of
looks like a projected image/hologram of clouds, and not just the fog
that they spew.

Is there another show after Reading, PA on July 16th, its listed on
ticketmaster, and not on toolband.com

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION.......

Here are some of the reactions that this band got out of me, my
girlfriend, and my other cronies. They made me and my GF cry tears of
JOY during stinkfist and 46&2. My girlfriend felt like she was "drug
through hell, and taken to heaven" by this show (pretty profound
feeling I'm sure....she called the concert a "religious" experience).
My friend....who will remain known forever as TAY-WER said that his
body was moving and he had no control over it...the music was making
his body turn and twist around arms and legs were raising and
lowering.....stuff like that. This kinda freaked him out a little
bit. Hair stood on end during the really intense parts of the show.
My back was cracking the whole show as the music moved me in
uncontrolable ways. At my first show in Sept. I felt my spirit
levitated....pretty hard to do that with VOCALS, BASS, GUITAR, AND
DRUMS ALONE (it's only 4 fucking people!).

My point of this is.....

How can TOOL's music do this when you see them live? How can they
rattle your soul and tap into your emotions that deep with their
music? I've seen a lot of concerts, and only TOOL can do this to me.
As only TAY-WER can put it............"they know something we dont".
They left me with a positive message and my friends and I felt deeply
inspired after the show. What are they doing?

I'd just like to hear some thoughts on that subject!

FINALLY THIS LONG ASS POST IS OVER!

See you in Reading, PA section 103 Row L........

THE SPANISH WANGLER!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

HEAPING OVER WITH MARVELMENT CONT.

CONTINUED......

A FEW OTHER COMMENTS:

Another friend of mine who met at our house before the show, drove 2.5
hours to get there, and provided the DELICIOUS cookies didnt get to
enjoy the entire show. He and his wife are true intellegent music
lovers and deserved to be at this show, but by a fucked up twist of
fate, they got screwed out of it. We were leaving my house to drive
the 25 min. to Baltimore and his car would not start. I gave him a
jump and we got the car running, but as we were heading through
downtown Baltimore he said it started shaking and bucking when he
would slow down......right as we were turning into the parking garage
his car shut off......it sucked. He drifted to the side of the
entrance and we tried to jump start the car again.....it was no
beans....the car was dead for good this time. We had to pushit (no
pun intended) to the nearest available parking spot....at the time we
didnt realize it but it was a FEDERAL parking spot....like where
Ronald Regan would have parked to see a TOOL concert or something.
The security guards had to call to see if he could leave his car
there....they said HELLZ NO and there is a $250 fine for doing that
and he would also be towed......I felt SSSSOOOOOO bad for them. After
parking my vehicle I met back up with them at the enterence....they
had to get the car towed to some repair shop which was closed and it
was left in a super-sketchy way on the sidewalk of downtown Baltimore.
In the end they had to get a hotel room and deal with that bullshit.
They only saw 2 songs because they got inside of the 1st Mariner and
security had roped off the top section that they had tickets for (he
ordered them the first day they went on sale too so he could get a
good view of the "whole show"....what a fucking rip). They said it
was HOT AS BALLS and they went back to the Days Inn. I really wish
that he could have been there, because he and his wife are true
thinkers and appreciators of TOOL's music and message (not to mention
the Unicursal Hexagram Tattoo on his chest!).
In his own words......it was "SHITTY BALLS"!

MOVING ON......

Some other people I know that were at the show said it was TERRIBLE.
The sound was TERRIBLE, the venue was TERRIBLE, and TOOL was.....you
guessed it.....TERRIBLE. It made me wonder if this person was blinded
and deprived of his hearing for the duration of the show......or if he
was even at the same show that I saw. This person is a self
proclaimed OGT From '92, and thinks that "these 30 minute TOOL songs
blow goats for breakfast". If they would have played nothing BUT
OPIATE and UNDERTOW songs he would have been totally satisfied. That
material is 15 years old. As a musician and artist I fully understand
how an artist/artists must EVOLVE their style and REFINE their
message in order to not only keep things interesting for them, but
also to challenge themselves and their audience with new things. This
guy doesnt "GET IT" at all. He just bitched about all the stuff HE
wanted THEM to do, and how much better THEY were when he saw them at
lollapalooza on a side stage....and at smaller venues in the 90's. I
love OPIATE and UNDERTOW....A LOT....BUT COME ON. In all of TOOL's
albums there is a definate evoloutionary progress.....much like Alex
Grey's CoSM gallery (which I saw a week before the concert on a full
moon)......from material base elements (opiate, undertow) to an
interconnectedness with one's surroundings and a level of spiritual
and mental energy that was not attainable at first (aenima, lateralus,
10KD). I guess he cannot see that evoloution.....even though its
right there in front of his nose....with Aenima as the fulcrum of this
growth process that has spanned nearly 20 years. If he were an "OGT"
Beatles fan he would only want them to play that "teddy boy" leather
jacket raunchy type of greaser rock they did in Hamburg, Germany in
1958.....and scoff at albums like REVOLVER, SGT. PEPPERS, THE WHITE
ALBUM ETC. for being different from the "old favorites" that he's used
to. Revolver and Rubber Soul are very much like Aenima in that they
are the album(s) in which a switch is flipped and true musical
evoloution begins to take place. These albums are the crux/fulcrum of
these band's catalog and are radical transitions into a new style of
music that didnt exist in the past! I have a feeling there are a lot
of these OGT's out there, and I am sorry about their
affliction.....once again.....WAKE UUUUUUUUPPPPP! After the show was
over the guy behind me was pissed because they didnt play
SOBER..........AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! ANOTHER OGT with an ATTITUDE.

TOOL evolved, TOOL grew in unimaginable ways, you didnt, SHITTY BALLS!

And now.....some afterthoughts and loose questions. (help me out here!)

Can TOOL pull off the lasers outdoors? (like at Bonnaroo)
I bet this show is much better indoors!

When was the last time Maynard "Gushed" like that for the audience.
He was really apprecitaive at this show, and from what I've read on
these posts he goes for like 5 show stints of not saying ANYTHING to
the audience. The Baltimore show was special for some reason.

Did they play FLOOD on the Lateralus tour at all?

Does Danny usually tour with his bronze cast drum kit? I didnt notice
it in any of the bootlegs I have or at other shows.....

Do they project images into the lasers when they fan out? It kind of
looks like a projected image/hologram of clouds, and not just the fog
that they spew.

Is there another show after Reading, PA on July 16th, its listed on
ticketmaster, and not on toolband.com

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION.......

Here are some of the reactions that this band got out of me, my
girlfriend, and my other cronies. They made me and my GF cry tears of
JOY during stinkfist and 46&2. My girlfriend felt like she was "drug
through hell, and taken to heaven" by this show (pretty profound
feeling I'm sure....she called the concert a "religious" experience).
My friend....who will remain known forever as TAY-WER said that his
body was moving and he had no control over it...the music was making
his body turn and twist around arms and legs were raising and
lowering.....stuff like that. This kinda freaked him out a little
bit. Hair stood on end during the really intense parts of the show.
My back was cracking the whole show as the music moved me in
uncontrolable ways. At my first show in Sept. I felt my spirit
levitated....pretty hard to do that with VOCALS, BASS, GUITAR, AND
DRUMS ALONE (it's only 4 fucking people!).

My point of this is.....

How can TOOL's music do this when you see them live? How can they
rattle your soul and tap into your emotions that deep with their
music? I've seen a lot of concerts, and only TOOL can do this to me.
As only TAY-WER can put it............"they know something we dont".
They left me with a positive message and my friends and I felt deeply
inspired after the show. What are they doing?

I'd just like to hear some thoughts on that subject!

FINALLY THIS LONG ASS POST IS OVER!

See you in Reading, PA section 103 Row L........

THE SPANISH WANGLER!!!
06-12-2007, 12:23 PM

Show was amazing, I sat in section 106 near Justin. I did not see melting banana but their drummer rocked his solo, Maynard offering the phone call was classic as well. Ive never seen a band have so much control over a crowd, their music commands it! Loved every minute of this show
Old 06-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

Show was amazing, I sat in section 106 near Justin. I did not see melting banana but their drummer rocked his solo, Maynard offering the phone call was classic as well. Ive never seen a band have so much control over a crowd, their music commands it! Loved every minute of this show
OFFLINE |  
darkslayer96's Avatar darkslayer96
06-12-2007, 12:34 PM

Ok Sorry for the short review above , so here is my Extended Version of the Show:

Got to the Arena about 7:45..

Went straight to the floor and viewed Melt Banana for about 5 whole seconds, then went to "beer line" for water, due to the fact of the 2 xtc pills i had taken,
Wow, the line took forever, wasnt even moving, by the time i returned to the floor Melt Banana was over, WOOT!,

Tool began setup for their show, I rolled a nice fatty blunt up on the floor 20 feet from the stage (slightly left, center), After I rolled the blunt up, I looked around, and Man, everyone was sparking up joints, blunts and bowls. Thats def. something I like to see at a tool concert.

Lights dimmed, and my dream began, Jambi is such a kick ass song for an opener, It really got the crowd prepared for the night. After that It was On like Donkey Kong.

The crowd was amazing all night, at every silence, everyone went apeshyt, What a nice touch, Maynard didnt say much all night, but that was due to the fact they were having such a great night.

I liked the fact they played alot of old stuff, I was really amazed at the 2 hour setlist as I seen the same during 2001 lateralus at the baltimore arena. So the night progressed, And my roll became more intense, I was really feeling the music as the band really "POURED IT ON THICK". I really liked hearing Wings 1 & 2, it sent chills throughout my body, there were no camera flashes, and everyone was very respectful.

I was at the outer edge of the mosh pit, and I really didnt mind too much,
One thing I enjoyed seeing was the "LATERALUS TRAIN" at the mosh pit during the Lateralus closer. That was pretty cool, I guess everyone there was Spiraling OUt.

About halfway through the show I began to feel completely "fulfilled" as to the Sept30 show only lasted 1 hr and 10mins. This show on the 8th was very fulfilling.

The lights, lasers, and ambience, were really on point. I thoroughly enjoyed the INTERMISSION where they had all the trippy visuals and the band just sat and enjoyed the crowd for a bit.

They did get me when they started to play H. I was like "Oh shyt" , I was getting really hyped about it. Then it became Lateralus. A little bit of a let down, but who is arguing, at least we heard a H. Intro!

TOOL concluded our night, they really enjoyed performing for baltimore, the band showed alot of respect for baltimore, and baltimore showed the utmost respect for TOOL, as they did during INTERMISSION lighting the whole arena up for them to enjoy OUR moment together. That Was really awesome!

so then the Time had come for the show to end, and for us to go home and REFLECT,

I guess thats what we are doing now, It was a great show, and I cant wait to see them again, But for now,

I am totally 100% fulfilled...

Thanks to everyone for making this show the very best experience that it could be.

P.S. AFTER THE SHOW ON THE BLEACHERS, WAS THIS AMAZING RED HEAD, THAT I WOULD LIKE TO SAY HI TOO.
WHITE SHIRT. JEANS,

Last edited by darkslayer96; 06-12-2007 at 12:36 PM..
Old 06-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #45
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 21

Ok Sorry for the short review above , so here is my Extended Version of the Show:

Got to the Arena about 7:45..

Went straight to the floor and viewed Melt Banana for about 5 whole seconds, then went to "beer line" for water, due to the fact of the 2 xtc pills i had taken,
Wow, the line took forever, wasnt even moving, by the time i returned to the floor Melt Banana was over, WOOT!,

Tool began setup for their show, I rolled a nice fatty blunt up on the floor 20 feet from the stage (slightly left, center), After I rolled the blunt up, I looked around, and Man, everyone was sparking up joints, blunts and bowls. Thats def. something I like to see at a tool concert.

Lights dimmed, and my dream began, Jambi is such a kick ass song for an opener, It really got the crowd prepared for the night. After that It was On like Donkey Kong.

The crowd was amazing all night, at every silence, everyone went apeshyt, What a nice touch, Maynard didnt say much all night, but that was due to the fact they were having such a great night.

I liked the fact they played alot of old stuff, I was really amazed at the 2 hour setlist as I seen the same during 2001 lateralus at the baltimore arena. So the night progressed, And my roll became more intense, I was really feeling the music as the band really "POURED IT ON THICK". I really liked hearing Wings 1 & 2, it sent chills throughout my body, there were no camera flashes, and everyone was very respectful.

I was at the outer edge of the mosh pit, and I really didnt mind too much,
One thing I enjoyed seeing was the "LATERALUS TRAIN" at the mosh pit during the Lateralus closer. That was pretty cool, I guess everyone there was Spiraling OUt.

About halfway through the show I began to feel completely "fulfilled" as to the Sept30 show only lasted 1 hr and 10mins. This show on the 8th was very fulfilling.

The lights, lasers, and ambience, were really on point. I thoroughly enjoyed the INTERMISSION where they had all the trippy visuals and the band just sat and enjoyed the crowd for a bit.

They did get me when they started to play H. I was like "Oh shyt" , I was getting really hyped about it. Then it became Lateralus. A little bit of a let down, but who is arguing, at least we heard a H. Intro!

TOOL concluded our night, they really enjoyed performing for baltimore, the band showed alot of respect for baltimore, and baltimore showed the utmost respect for TOOL, as they did during INTERMISSION lighting the whole arena up for them to enjoy OUR moment together. That Was really awesome!

so then the Time had come for the show to end, and for us to go home and REFLECT,

I guess thats what we are doing now, It was a great show, and I cant wait to see them again, But for now,

I am totally 100% fulfilled...

Thanks to everyone for making this show the very best experience that it could be.

P.S. AFTER THE SHOW ON THE BLEACHERS, WAS THIS AMAZING RED HEAD, THAT I WOULD LIKE TO SAY HI TOO.
WHITE SHIRT. JEANS,

Last edited by darkslayer96; 06-12-2007 at 12:36 PM..
OFFLINE |  
piratesockmonkey's Avatar piratesockmonkey
06-13-2007, 10:42 AM

"There was this one tired looking sweaty fat guy w/long red hair who kept falling flat on his back when he got pushed."

I saw that guy leaving the floor about 10 minutes before the show ended. He was shirtless and covered in beer, as he walked he leaned a little and had to stop to hold his head a few times.

Besides him and the other filthy "adults" who thought slinging beer all over people was a good idea, the show was awesome. I drove all the way from Ohio to visit a friend in the area and to see TOOL, my first show and hopefully not my last since days after we bought the tickets I found out they are coming to Cincinnati.

I really liked Melt Banana, but I don't think they got the respect they deserved. The arena was almost empty still while they played and the intolerate bunch around me on the floor had nothing but snide things to say about them. Clearly not many TOOL fans actually follow the belief of keeping an open mind. It's difficult to judge a band the first time you hear them, especially if it's live. I would have been satisfied if I had heard others say things like, "I don't dig them live, but I'd like to hear their album", instead of, "They're horrible...they suck...this blows".

Once TOOL came on stage they weren't even two songs into the set when the moshing started. I knew it was bound to happen but not so quickly. My friend and I decided it was too much for us, since we were there for the music and not the social interaction. She stayed towards the bleachers while I made my way back into the crowd, but knowing better to stay a little further to the side.

Even there I was disappointed by the crowd. Everyone seemed so lifeless. There was no middle ground. Either over energetic drugged out (nothing wrong with drugs btw, hehe) kids throwing themselves against each other or corpses standing perfectly still. I thought for a moment how strange I must have looked surrounded by the dead while I swayed, eyes closed, smiling as the bass tickled the hair on my arms. But then...I just didn't care.

It was truly a moving experience for me. I was excited by the older songs that were played and found myself at times, eyes affixed on Maynard's silouette against the video screen displaying some ultra trippy images. I felt almost hypnotized, it was amazing, I couldn't break the stare.

I had no complaints about the band. I love the music and love that they are still out there making/playing it.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #46
Level 3 - Talker

Drove over 500 miles for this....

"There was this one tired looking sweaty fat guy w/long red hair who kept falling flat on his back when he got pushed."

I saw that guy leaving the floor about 10 minutes before the show ended. He was shirtless and covered in beer, as he walked he leaned a little and had to stop to hold his head a few times.

Besides him and the other filthy "adults" who thought slinging beer all over people was a good idea, the show was awesome. I drove all the way from Ohio to visit a friend in the area and to see TOOL, my first show and hopefully not my last since days after we bought the tickets I found out they are coming to Cincinnati.

I really liked Melt Banana, but I don't think they got the respect they deserved. The arena was almost empty still while they played and the intolerate bunch around me on the floor had nothing but snide things to say about them. Clearly not many TOOL fans actually follow the belief of keeping an open mind. It's difficult to judge a band the first time you hear them, especially if it's live. I would have been satisfied if I had heard others say things like, "I don't dig them live, but I'd like to hear their album", instead of, "They're horrible...they suck...this blows".

Once TOOL came on stage they weren't even two songs into the set when the moshing started. I knew it was bound to happen but not so quickly. My friend and I decided it was too much for us, since we were there for the music and not the social interaction. She stayed towards the bleachers while I made my way back into the crowd, but knowing better to stay a little further to the side.

Even there I was disappointed by the crowd. Everyone seemed so lifeless. There was no middle ground. Either over energetic drugged out (nothing wrong with drugs btw, hehe) kids throwing themselves against each other or corpses standing perfectly still. I thought for a moment how strange I must have looked surrounded by the dead while I swayed, eyes closed, smiling as the bass tickled the hair on my arms. But then...I just didn't care.

It was truly a moving experience for me. I was excited by the older songs that were played and found myself at times, eyes affixed on Maynard's silouette against the video screen displaying some ultra trippy images. I felt almost hypnotized, it was amazing, I couldn't break the stare.

I had no complaints about the band. I love the music and love that they are still out there making/playing it.
mattsihler
06-14-2007, 11:21 AM

This was the second show I have been to; the last one being in Baltimore 2002. My wife and I got seats this time instead of being out on the floor (the floor is such a great experience). They were jamming. I had such a wonderful and natural high just jamming along with them. They really know how to throw it all out there and feed the crowd. They were doing some really cool experimental blends of songs before breaking out inot the all familiar songs we know and love. It was just crazy. Maynard was decked out in jeans, a tee shirt, sunglasses and a cowboy hat (a total contrast to the blue body paint and speedos from the last show I attended...). I loved the show, my wife loved the show. The end is always depressing for me, I just want it to go on and on.

The sound was great...music and vocals sounded perfect, like it was off the CD, but better because you could watch everything as it was happening. I am so glad they played Lateralus at the end, I was really hoping they would. There are so many songs I would have loved for them to play as well, but there's just not enough time in night...what an incredible performance. I hope they come around again soon, 5 years was too long to wait to see them play...
Old 06-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

This was the second show I have been to; the last one being in Baltimore 2002. My wife and I got seats this time instead of being out on the floor (the floor is such a great experience). They were jamming. I had such a wonderful and natural high just jamming along with them. They really know how to throw it all out there and feed the crowd. They were doing some really cool experimental blends of songs before breaking out inot the all familiar songs we know and love. It was just crazy. Maynard was decked out in jeans, a tee shirt, sunglasses and a cowboy hat (a total contrast to the blue body paint and speedos from the last show I attended...). I loved the show, my wife loved the show. The end is always depressing for me, I just want it to go on and on.

The sound was great...music and vocals sounded perfect, like it was off the CD, but better because you could watch everything as it was happening. I am so glad they played Lateralus at the end, I was really hoping they would. There are so many songs I would have loved for them to play as well, but there's just not enough time in night...what an incredible performance. I hope they come around again soon, 5 years was too long to wait to see them play...
OFFLINE |  
jmike
06-14-2007, 01:31 PM

wow i seen her when i was walking out of the floor area.. good shit..
Old 06-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

wow i seen her when i was walking out of the floor area.. good shit..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply