opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-17-2006, 03:44 PM   #81
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/16 - Toronto, CAN - Hummingbird Centre

Tool has such a wide fan base of people of various ages and musically tastes. Most shows are loud enough with enough seating choice that you can choose your experience, whether it be where you sit, whether you sit, and what you smoke/drink.

In this case, there was less of this but we should all have known that - we were getting a treat with the small venue so sacrificing sitting versus standing, moshing (not for me, but for an arena, I wouldn't sit on the floor because of this) and being hassled about smoking and cameras. The security people were just following orders and they almost seemed apoligetic in our area. The Hummingbird Centre is to blame - you don't invite Tool and 3000 of their friends to your house and expect them to take off their shoes and smoke out back.

I am partial to prog rock and classic rock and I was there for the music and the show. I thought the crowd was first class. Tool could see that, I think they could get that the crowd gets them and appreciated the art and music.

A great show, my second Tool show, much better then the last and an experience I will never forget.

Last edited by searing; 05-17-2006 at 04:28 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #82
Level 2 - Poster

This show was AMAZING! This was my second time seeing them, the first time was in Montreal for the Lateralus tour. I absolutely LOVED both shows equally but for different reasons. The visuals were better in Montreal, and there were even trapeze artist swinging around on ropes. This TO show was much more intimate, the sound was asbolutely perfect all night. Maynard is sometimes hard to hear right on the albums, and I believe it is intentional when they do it live. Of course depending on where are sitting, it can be annoying. I was in the front row of the Mezanine, and I have no complaints about the sound. This show was much brigther than the Laterals tour, which means you really got to see all they guys whaling on their instruments. I think this is privilege for us fortunate enough to get tickets to a small venue show.

They nailed every song perfectly. Jambi was my favorite song, it is great live.
I didn't notice one mistake from Adam or anyone else except for Maynard coming in too early on Lateralus, but they really covered that well. I was really impressed by the heavy drumming on the new songs, it is very intense to watch Danny pull them off perfectly. And the extended parts were awesome.

I thought the crowd was very loud, especially at the end... and I am glad they were respectful during the soft parts of some of the songs. Anybody who pays 70+ dollars for a ticket can rockout however they want. I agree that bands feed off the crowds' energy, but TOOL doesn't exactly run around on stage like some other bands do.

Excellent show, can't wait to see them again!

To ChosenOne: the tongue licking an eye animation is from Chet Zar, and I think I saw it at the Montreal show in 2001.

http://www.chetzar.com/eyelick.html
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-17-2006, 06:56 PM   #83
Level 1 - Lurker

I was one of the luckiest people fortunate enough to get a seat in the front! Since tickets sold out in only seconds after going on sale I resorted to other ways of obtaining a ticket. I surfed the web and ebay but, ultimately risked dealing with street scalpers since online prices were extremely HIGH! I was prepared to pay at least $300.00 CA. for decent floor seats since I heard about people paying as much as $500.00 US for a similar seat. I arrived at the Hummingbird Centre around 7:00 pm and found shit seats for $300.00 CA from the 1st scalper. Needless to say I passed until I found 2nd row, center Orchestra BB, seat 47. UNFU**ING REAL!!! I couldn't believe it! $500.00CA. and worth every cent! Sure I would have loved to pay cost, BUT what are the chances of getting a seat like this that way? FYI Darcy Tucker and Bryan McCabe sat directly behind me, 3rd row CC seats 50 & 51. The other people around me paid an average of $300.00CA. Yes there were also lucky people who won tickets complimentary to radio phone-ins. Good for them, I wished it were me. None the less I felt like a VIP.

IMO no one around me was sitting! My neck is still killing me me from head-banging. I was greatful there was no moshing. I feel like I was wasted on TOOL and today am feeling it. I never even noticed that the videos were breaking up like someone mentioned. I was too involved with the show.

From my perspective I could see the entire stage from 10' away. One of the best seats available! I 'm TOTALLY impressed! I thoroughly enjoyed every minute! I'll remember this night forever! TOOL ROCKS T.O.!!!

BTW: Bryan McCabe caught one of Danny's drumsticks. That would have been the icing on my cake! Still worth the price I paid. Thanks TOOL!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-17-2006, 08:41 PM   #84
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen One
it's all coming back now...I'm pretty sure that was a bullhorn strapped to maynard's back but i don't remember him using it...did anyone else see him use it?
It had a wireless microphone attached to it. It was used all through out Rosetta Stoned when he was doing the patients voice.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-17-2006, 11:25 PM   #85
Level 7 - Loquacious

IMO C'ing TOOL (PROG bands such as DT, RUSH Etc.) in a smaller, more intimate-type of Environment/Atmosphere is the way their cerebral music is best transferred - tighter sound n' all, now this will not make the ppl who want to freak/mosh happy but for this gig there were so many types of ppl in differing situations all bound in one small area that it was hard to see one wave of the same emotional level, kind of scattered

It was enjoyable meeting up w/ those TDN'ers at HH and Eighteenth Eye inside! (Keep in touch)
My Apologeez 4 not hookin' up w/ any other of the usual suspects that may have wanted a seating treat (PM me and I'll get one 2 u) Here's a link 4 the final 'TOOLSDAY' seating pic:

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/692...ngfinal3ie.jpg

- 2 the dude in the second row (slight left) w/ the red-spiked mohawk that wasn't having any trouble givn'r (cheerz!)

- The eazy-feedback build intro to 'Sober' put me on edge (in a very good way)

- When they were chillin' on MJK's stage it totally flipped the roles and put the emphasis on the crowd to then, impress them

- Was that a Red 'Clippers' jersey Danny was wearing? #42

Evil agent - love the avatar (did u draw that?)
jag1364 - Post # 53, Nicely put!

- They nailed 'Vicarious' to the wall

- Adam's opening notes 4 'Lost keys' nevr seemed to end

Avail - This mini-tour is a warm-up to become comparable 4 their tour (their shakin' the rust off) Read the concert review in Wednesday's Toronto Star

Sorry pushthenvelope - ("a slight criticism") My last post was Necessary!
Silence33 - nice post! # 92
Forty two - (Bottom of # 30) I'm fully in agreeance, how much do u think it's worth?

zenkinet - I believe I heard some Meshuggah

"There's ppl who defend your borders, There's ppl who work on your plumbing, but the ppl who make your life worth living are the ppl who celebrate the freedom 2 b able 2 express yourself and have enjoyment of song and dance" - MJK
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-17-2006, 11:47 PM   #86
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1439

Was that Meshuggah playing on the PA before the concert started?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-17-2006, 11:59 PM   #87
Level 7 - Loquacious

I believe so, they hang out, u can hear the influence Tomas Haake has had on Danny recently, on the 10,000 days album (kick patterns)

"There's ppl who defend your borders, There's ppl who work on your plumbing, but the ppl who make your life worth living are the ppl who celebrate the freedom 2 b able 2 express yourself and have enjoyment of song and dance" - MJK

Last edited by Capt. Sith Park; 05-18-2006 at 06:29 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 01:33 AM   #88
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Thanks, I agree this avatar is awesome - but I can't take credit for drawing it. I found it when I did a google image search of "maynard james keenan"!

Back to the concert...its funny, the day after the concert I find myself remembering more and more awesome parts. I think I felt a tad let down initially, just as I feel whenever a new Tool album comes out, because there is always SO much expectation. But now that the show sunk in, I find myself wishing I could see them again on this small tour! Slightly better seats, and the freedom to smoke my joint would have made the show perfect.

I keep replaying Rosetta Stoned in my mind, and seeing Maynard thrashing around whenever he said "Can't breathe, right now!" and Justin going mental on the last few bars of Aenima, and Danny all through the show; Even though I wasn't that close, the setup this time around gave me the best view of Danny I've ever had.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 05:17 AM   #89
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Sith Park
It was enjoyable meeting up w/ those TDN'ers at HH and Eighteenth Eye inside! (Keep in touch)

- The eazy-feedback build intro to 'Sober' put me on edge (in a very good way)

- Was that a Red 'Clippers' jersey Danny was wearing? #42
We should all keep in touch....to make sure we all keep in touch we can stay in touch using the thread that i have posted a link to in my signature! We can start making plans for the next show in the fall!

The feedback for Sober was amazing....the way they were able to control it and make it work as a musical "tool" was amazing!

Yes, the Clippers jersey was an Elton Brand Jersey.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 05:22 AM   #90
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil agent
Even though I wasn't that close, the setup this time around gave me the best view of Danny I've ever had.
I have seen Danny's drum kit many times and it seemingly evolves every time I see it! He was f'n amazing!

If anyone couldn't see he actually has a touch screen PC hooked up to his drum kit which he played with a couple of times to change up the sounds of the electric drums! He would make the adjustments during the long feedback segments or when Adam or Justin were just doing crazy shit with their instruments.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 05:51 AM   #91
Level 2 - Poster

cheers to toneman for the great link and esspea...how did i not see that? maybe i did...i was overwhelmed w the intro and was obviously still trying to absorb the moment
Old 05-18-2006, 06:34 AM   #92
Level 7 - Loquacious

4 those interested Danny is the cover story in the next issue of 'Modern Drummer' magazine, I'm sure they will go in depth about his new electronics
- Would have nevr known he does the chime voices at the beginning of 'Vicarious' w/o seeing them live. It's very cool how they contribute in other ways outside of their own particular instrument (busy ppl they r)

OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 06:45 AM   #93
Level 3 - Talker

Quote "Back to the concert...its funny, the day after the concert I find myself remembering more and more awesome parts. I think I felt a tad let down initially, just as I feel whenever a new Tool album comes out, because there is always SO much expectation. But now that the show sunk in, I find myself wishing I could see them again on this small tour! Slightly better seats, and the freedom to smoke my joint would have made the show perfect. "

It's a couple day's after the show now and I find myself echoing these thoughts
( although I was able to smoke a joint during 46 &2 !!! ) My intial criticism's of the show have now faded and dismissed as over- expectations on my part. After all they were only " shaking the rust off " as Sith puts it. I will fondly remember all TOOL concerts that I get to see, but this one in a small venue will have a special meaning. I now feel priviledged that I was able to see it. It does make you want to follow their Tour Buses and catch them again in the next city. BTW did anybody get to see (autographs) the boys after the show? I saw alot of people lined up out back by their tour buses.
Sith and Co. sorry we missed meeting you at the HH. My buddy and I stuck our head in there around 5:30 or so , but it seemed a bit of a trendy lookin place with a fair number of "suits". In other words, not conducive to TOOL heads (i'm probably wrong on that). We ended up at an english pub type place on the other side of Front ( can't remember the name). There were plenty of fan's there grabbin eats and ale's and discussing TOOL. Thats another thing I like about this band.... you see someone else wearin a T and it's real easy to get a conversation going. Lookin forward to the next time already.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 07:04 AM   #94
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Forty two - (Bottom of # 30) I'm fully in agreeance, how much do u think it's worth?
I'm not sure yet, but I think if we wait a couple more years we'll get a great deal, and like Maynard said, a lot of it will be beachfront by then too. hehehe

EDIT: It's too bad I didn't have time to make it down to the HH before the show (and I couldn't do anything after the show because I had an interview to get to first thing next morning). It would have been nice to put some faces to the usernames here. Even though I'm still fairly new to the board, I can see that the Toronto-area contingent is quite a cool and friendly one. Oh well, when they come back... :)

Last edited by forty two; 05-18-2006 at 07:08 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 07:13 AM   #95
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
2 the dude in the second row (slight left) w/ the red-spiked mohawk that wasn't having any trouble givn'r (cheerz!)
I could clearly see that individual during the show from where I was - about 20 rows back of him. I was a bit troubled, however, as his hands were not in pocket during the show and the nodding he exhibited was *clearly* more than the preferred "light" variety. He apparently didn't get the memo to sit down and shut up and stay the fuck out of Imtheiconoclast's way. I hope he feels great shame for enjoying himself so completely and being swept up in the experience to the point of medium to hard bobbing, if not full on banging. I mean, it isn’t fucking Slayer, you know?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:01 AM   #96

Bincount™: 7676

Enough about the crowd. Too be honest, I was so fixated on the band that I barely noticed anyone else. No offense to anyone, but let's see more band reviews and less crowd reviews.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 08:09 AM   #97
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 50

Howdy all. I'll just put in my two cents in point form (good and bad)

1) Crowd - thought they were perfect, loud as fuck at the end.

2) Lateralus - The band did NOT cover this well, the intro sucked, and the screw up during the guitar solo almost ruined the song for me. Adam eventually just rang out an open D chord and stared at Danny like "what do I do?" Considering they ended every show for two years with this song, I'm amazed they screwed it up.

3) Vocals - RUSTY...Maynard is not young anymore and it shows. That and he might still be affected by a cold. 46&2, he was hitting lower octaves, ex: "See my shadow changing" where changing should be way up, he would dim it down. Also, the peak of vicarious was a little flat.

4) Venue - awesome.

5) Sound - awesome. As someone else said, the vocals will always be 'hiding' a bit in a tool mix.

6) 46&2 - I shit you not, my eyes teared up during the drum solo.

Those are my specifics. I'm a huge tool fan, and I absolutely loved the show, the sound was perfect, guitars a little loud maybe, but not bad. Seeing Danny from front row MEZZ was amazing, and Maynard was great too - chatting, dancing, commenting, etc.

I'm not ragging on the band, and of course this is a warm up tour, but there were some mistakes that I was not expecting. Of course I figured there would be screw ups on the new stuff (and there was, Adam seems like the weakest link in the band to me, often looking to Danny to determine when he is to come in or where they are in the song, etc.) but on the whole - fucking amazing. Loved the setlist, would have loved the Pot, but the drumming in Right in Two is absolutely insane. My girlfriend was with me, new to Tool, and she turned to me and said "How the fuck does he do that?" which felt good to hear :)

Can't wait for the fall....
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 08:13 AM   #98
Level 4 - Thinker

This is my second time seeing them live. Last time being edgefest where they played only 6 songs. This show was awesome. It doesn't matter what happens when they play, its the sound that really drives me crazy. Hearing familiar tunes like Sober, 46&2 and lateralus washes the slate clean for me....the crowd goes nuts and so do I. IMO Sober was the best song of the night not sure why, but there's a substance to Undertow thats irreplacebale and uncomparable to anything else.

Loved the drumming changes in schism and the improv part in stinkfist.
Someone else posted that he always has a hard time listening to new Tool Albums because of the expectation, and I agree. Its gonna take time for the new stuff to grow on me like Undertow and Aenima did. But I know once it does, it will be like every other Tool experience.

I didn't think the crowd sucked at all....They all sang and some people chose to Bob their heads while other chose to do a little dancing like me :) ....can't help it ,I so wanted to run up on stage and just dance like a moron!

I bought my ticks on ebay and shared them with this awesome guy from Cambridge.

I saw Tool...waiting for them to return in the fall and all is right with the world.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 09:12 AM   #99
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Oh yeah - regarding the crowd singing along and not doing so being a bad thing - I so disagree. I paid good money to see TOOL do what they do, I want to hear Maynard singing, not the buttfuck next to me who thinks he's the next american idol.

How would you feel if someone brough a guitar and amp and played the guitar parts along to the songs?

"Who sings this song?"
"Tool does"
"Right, let's keep it that way"

Nothing against people getting into it, but I don't believe the crowd NOT singing along makes them a bad crowdy. I preferred to zone in and just take it all in, and I got teary eyed several times and couldn't stop smiling.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #100
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

yeah i had some drunk douche bag behind me who thought he was maynard. He ruined a couple parts but thats what happens when beers were only 5 bucks. I pounded like 6 before we went in. What was the deal with drinking in there? Some people were allowed but others wernt. All in and all the worst part for me was the security guards shining their lights on some people a few rows ahead of me cause the kept trying to smoke a joint. Pretty funny considering the floor was carpet and the walls are made of wood. The fire triangle was complete. Anyways I loved that show and can't wait to see them again.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #101
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon
Oh yeah - regarding the crowd singing along and not doing so being a bad thing - I so disagree. I paid good money to see TOOL do what they do, I want to hear Maynard singing, not the buttfuck next to me who thinks he's the next american idol.

How would you feel if someone brough a guitar and amp and played the guitar parts along to the songs?

"Who sings this song?"
"Tool does"
"Right, let's keep it that way"

Nothing against people getting into it, but I don't believe the crowd NOT singing along makes them a bad crowdy. I preferred to zone in and just take it all in, and I got teary eyed several times and couldn't stop smiling.
I must admit I LOL'd at that one.

I like your first breakdown of the concert. I think for a first-timer I barely noticed the fuckups because I was so engrossed by the whole experience and vibe. As must as I love Maynard to bits and pieces, Danny was the star for me. Still loved them all though and I'm still damn hyper/energized from the show.

I know the crowd talk has kinda gone out of hand, but I must say, the guy with the mohawk is somewhat of a celebrity. I saw him going nuts from way up in the balcony.

Meetup before next Tool sounds like a good plan to me. Maybe I can finally meet some female TDNers :D

As for merch, I got the white tour tee. I would have liked the chicks shirt but didn't want to pay that extra five bucks, and I wanted the tour info on it. The long sleeve shirt was pretty sweet.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 02:04 PM   #102
Level 2 - Poster

Yeah, mohawk dude was cool... especially before the show started. He was getting the crowd going.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #103
Level 9 - Obstreperous

It's so true - you don't go to a Tool show to watch Adam, or watch Justin, or watch Maynard - Danny puts on the fucking show, the guy is an absolute monster and watching him do the drumming in Right in Two blew my mind, he was doing something like 5 different beats with 2 hands, plus the off-beat bass rythm, just incredible. Fun to watch Maynard stretch too though..heh
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 02:46 PM   #104
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Old 05-18-2006, 05:29 PM   #105
Level 7 - Loquacious

Weird review. It sounds like he's trying to give it a bad review, but doesn't have anything actually bad to say about the band. It also sounds like he wants to insult the fans, but he comes off almost praising them (calling them smart, etc.).
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 05:37 PM   #106
Level 4 - Thinker

I guess I'll throw my thoughts out there..

Ended up in the 6th row, right in front of Justin. I scoped out my seats for Radiohead too (row B) and Circle of Friends was a great investment.

Very good show overall, I expected it to be a bit rough after reading some reviews and listening to some of the other shows. Adam did blow a few parts but it wasn't too bad. Maynard also came in early during Adam's solo on Lateralus which threw Adam off.

You could definitely tell Maynard was sick, though he didn't mention it. His vocals were a bit off in spots.

With that said it was an amazing experience seeing the band in that venue and especially being so close. I thought the crowd up front was rocking out pretty good. Not sure what was going on through the rest of the crowd.

I was surprised they let people stand in the aisles, it bugged me at first (I was on the aisle) but wasn't so bad.

I'm also surprised no one's mentioned Adam making the rooster noise at the end of his talkbox solo in Jambi. That was hilarious.

After Aenema, as the band was throwing stuff out and leaving the stage, Adam picked up a joint that had been thrown on stage, waved his finger at the crowd and threw it back.

All in all it was a great night. I would have liked a longer and more varied setlist, but I really enjoyed it and can't wait for the full set in the fall.

Last edited by bullet proof; 05-18-2006 at 05:47 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 06:20 PM   #107
Level 3 - Talker

Ok so this was my first Tool concert ever. I have to say it was best musical experience I have ever been a part of. The whole evening was excellent. I had a great time meeting with all the TDN'ers at Hot House before the show(we should keep in touch). Now to the concert. I couldn't believe how amazing they were. Sound quality was perfect. I thought the volume was just right, personally I dont need to have my ears blown out to enjoy a concert. I really like the heavy bass at the show. The opening of the show was the best. I just loved how first Justin came on then Adam, then Danny an then finally Maynard. In my opinion, every song they play was 10 times better then the CD's. I, like a few others, didnt notice any mistakes in their setlist or any visual mix ups on the screens. Probably because I completely immersed myself in the show. Overall this concert was incredable. This concert once again proved why Tool is the best band ever. I cannot wait untill the fall concert!!!!!(Fingers Crossed for multiple Ontario Dates)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-18-2006, 11:27 PM   #108
Level 7 - Loquacious

Besides the fact that MJK was struggling w/ a cold (apparently It became worse 4 the Philadelphia show) Seems alot of ppl r put-off about not being able to hear MJK's vocals clearly/loudly/up-front. There are alot of times (in studio) when MJK's voice sits low in the mix (this happens on purpose), it then happens Live also (no big deal really), we were on the left side, row V, could hear him fine, all depends (with so many variables) on where u were located.

Adam has commented on this issue: "I'll talk to people from other bands, they'll say 'Your sound is so huge! How do you get that?' Then I hear their stuff, and the vocals are way out front and the band's in the back, and that just makes the band sound little. It's a fine line. Maynard is an instrument."

At certain times they don't want u 2 b distracted by the story line or the vox. They r truely artists and have respect for all parts of their work, if anything it makes u listen/investigate harder to decipher the lyrics, you will always hear the music up in the mix

Each song is like a mini-drum clinic - '46 & 2' solo (spot on) 'Ri2' - killer, The rhythms (outside of the main beat) for the new songs (and voices) Danny uses are intricate, (can b heavy if needed) but always groove - As a drummer myself, I find his playing extremely inspirational!

When they're back in the fall, I bet we'll hear: 'The Grudge', 'Parabola', 'Prison Sex', 'The Pot' Etc. - It never ends (they had to leave some 4 L8r)

I didn't realize it was Justin at the 3:45-4:05 riff on bass in 'Vicarious', thought it was an over-dub on guitar

Last edited by Capt. Sith Park; 05-18-2006 at 11:35 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #109
Level 7 - Loquacious

I was at the back of the floor, and I could hear him just fine. I understood all his speaking, and could make out most of his lyrics and singing perfectly. I actually thought he sounded excellent, considering the cold. I couldn't tell he was sick except for a couple very small moments.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-19-2006, 07:26 AM   #110
Level 1 - Lurker

I like how "superfan" (mrhand) just takes Tool lyrics and passes them off as his own thoughts and musings. Also, if I wanted to jump around like an asshole while Tool was playing, I could easily (and more cost effectively) do that in front of my mom's stereo turned up to 11 in my basement apartment (yes, a crack at you--and a Spinal Tap reference). Anyhoo, I agree that the show was good. I have a job, so I can't follow Tool to every show to offer perspective. Sorry.

Brain candy: Mr. Hand has been to so many shows, but only finds a desire to post now, for the first time, after this show. Thanks. We thank you for this.

I don't know why this bugged me so much...maybe it was the fact that Hand deliberately dumped all over everyone for being honest about the good time they had. OR maybe it was how he had to remind everyone that their experience could only be appreciated (at his/her "higher level") with more points of reference.

meh. you're too cool for me.

Last edited by Mook8; 05-19-2006 at 11:52 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-19-2006, 09:27 AM   #111
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

From where I was standing I thought the sound was incredible. I could hear Maynard perfectly, both when he was speaking and singing. He did strain a few times due to his cold but he still sounded excellent. Every word and all the instruments were crystal clear to my ears. I guess it really does depend on where you're located in a venue. I also appreciated the fact that the sound wasn't too loud, it was just right in my opinion.

Danny Carey blew me away of course, but that's a given. The man is a machine.

Although I was disappointed in not hearing the Pot and the Patient I was happy to hear Right In Two. It's one of my favourites from the new album and Danny's drumming was sweet as all hell. The whole song was done impressively well.

I was lucky to have some really cool people around me. No one was screaming the lyrics to drown out Maynard, which I really appreciated.

Vicarious performed live impressed the hell out of me. It was perfect. The new songs are excellent live. And of course I freaked out when hearing 46&2, Schism, Lateralus and Aenema.

To me the whole venue was buzzing with excitment. Many times before the show even started there was random yelling and frequent clapping. The roaring of the crowd was awesome to hear, especially when the guys sat down near the front of the stage for their breather and Maynard was cupping his ear as if to say "let me hear you guys." As soon as he did that it seemed like everyone in the entire venue was screaming their lungs out. And of course at the end of Aenema it felt like the exact same thing, especially when Danny stepped out from behind his kit and on to the stage.

It was cool to see the band smiling at the end, especially Danny and Adam. Needless to say I think they like Toronto.

Anyway, my brother and I had an excellent time and I can't wait for them to come back in the fall.

Were any Hamilton people from here at the show?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #112
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Muahaha!

My first TooL show!!!

I had waited a long time to catch them and traveled from Montreal to see it.

I proudly admit; the music TOOLed me!!!

Just like it is supposed too.

I could not sit passively and for that, my captive neighbours, I apologize... Or maybe... it is YOU who should apologize.

Muahaha!

Starting with Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned was genious..

The climax was definately at the end of Lateralus when the crowd just exploded into cheer and continued for what seemed like 5 minutes of roaring sea comming to engulf the coastline.

I loved the show, the venue was class, would not have missed it for anything.

T.O is a pretty city too bad I didn't have too much time to visit.

@TooL: Don't forget Montreal the second time around!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #113
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetisha
Were any Hamilton people from here at the show?
I was there with a few people who took the GO bus up from Hamilton. Had a great time at the show. Seeing Tool an entirely seated venue certainly made for a much different experience than seeing them from the pit at Copps in 2002.

People were a little more subdued than I would have imagined, but it was all very respectful of the band. MJK was obviously struggling due to his cold, but the mixing seemed to compensate for that and the rest of the band was in fine form. Having been seated about four people from the right stack the volume was fine by me, and the view of Danny's drumming was absolutely incredible.

After show quote from two guys walking down Front Street just east of the venue: "Hey guys, do you know where we can find a bar?"
We uh, pointed out the wide selection right across the street.

It was a good time, definitely worth the $100 paid for tickets & C.O.F. membership. Even my friends seated in YY agreed.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #114
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 51

an epiphany
a manifestation of great importane
a psychedlic feast celebrating the revelation to humans of the spirit in an observable form
of, characterized by, or generating hallucinations, distortions of perception, altered states of awareness, and occasionally resembling psychosis

$66.66
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #115
Level 1 - Lurker

A few things that have not been mentioned above.

They played the intro to "Intension" before breaking into "Right In Two".

There was an extended keyboard intro (Adam and Maynard) leading into "Vicarious".

Danny is a Clippers fan.

Bryan McCabe and Darcy Tucker apparently attended the show.

Maynard's quotes:{
"Apparently the album is triple platinum in Canada... what the fuck, man; What happened to triple platinum? I need a new wing on my winery / (vineyard?)".

"I hope you're all enjoying your very, very strong Canadian dollar. Why don't you do us all a favor and buy our country?"

"I wasn't kidding about buying our country soon. It's all going to be beachfront soon."

A young (20's) man brought his middle-aged mother to the show. Props to that guy, and also to his mom, who did not mind him smoking weed throughout the entire show.
}

Musically, the problem with Tool is never quality, just quantity. I would personally have preferred to hear "The Pot / The Patient" as opposed to "Right In Two", mostly because it took off a good seven minutes from the show. Justin and Adam did an excellent job on "Lost Keys" - the anticipation was almost as good as the actual show.

And to the guy who wrote that the Toronto show was weak compared to the Denver/ Seattle shows.... "you must have been so high."
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-19-2006, 09:41 PM   #116
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet proof
After Aenema, as the band was throwing stuff out and leaving the stage, Adam picked up a joint that had been thrown on stage, waved his finger at the crowd and threw it back.
Intentional reference? The Pot: "Who are you to wave your finger?"
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #117
Level 7 - Loquacious

Hmmmm .... those cryptic guyz

Justin walked on to the stage 8:13, then Adam, Danny & MJK - Band finished at 9:53

Any TDN'er out there catch the Drum head Danny launched?

Mook8 - I usually don't lose it (online) but the way he attacked the crowd (us), the venue, so blatantly - I had an awesome time (the whole day, other than the rain) I just gave it back 2 him
I can accept constructive criticism, nobody-thing/venue/show is perfect (well, except Danny LOL!) but his posts were not that

OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #118
Level 7 - Loquacious

4 anyone not close enough to see what Danny was messin' w/ on his left side of his kit. I believe it's a touch screen Mac to handle all of his trigger voices (a new ad for Paiste cymbals) He has a very unique set-up (Hi-Hat in the middle)

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/733/carey31xw.jpg

Bino - (not to rub it in, but this 4 u) - TDN'er pseudostratified (from the KC show) - 'Last night (the 11th) ... ended up being one of the coolest experiences of mys life ... I was the lucky fucker who ended up with Danny's AUTOGRAPHED DRUM HEAD after he made an impossible fucking throw deep into the lower balcony. That shit seemed like I had a homing beacon the way it curved right to me - and the four other people who had a hand on it until I emerged victorious!!

He uses the pic as his avatar:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2...rumhead3gh.jpg

OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #119
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 3rd Tool concert ACC, Copps, Hummingbird.

I'm not sure this was the best performance I've seen from them. It's not that there where any short comings with this show, but they've all been so good it's hard to pick.

ACC was memorable because it was the first Tool concert I'd attended. I didn't know what to expect and it exceeded any expectations I may have had anyway. By far the out side of the whole Tool thing Meshuggah opened for them and that f**ked me right over. Can't say enough good stuff about those Sweedes!

Oh, and there were dancing eunichs.

COPPS had Meshuggah again. That's worth the price of admission right there! Their performance of TRIAD is my favorite concert experience EVER. It simply won't be out done. I think the Copps show wuold be my favorite due to the TRIAD/Meshuggah combo.

I wasn't really that pumped going into the show. I had a lot of career and personal stuff going on and the show wasn't really on the radar that week. I got pumped the minute I realized where I'd be sitting. Stage right, 2 rows back from Adam. CC 1. I'd be able to see him work from less then 20 ft away. Holy shite! Did anyone else notice he wasn't wearing shoes?

As I said, the show wasn't really on my mind that much and I forgot to bring ear plugs. Wouldn't have been a problem has I not been the closest person to speakers in the entire venue. Fortunatly the security guard in my section had a spare pair he gave me. That dude saved my ass, well ears anyway.

Before the guys hit the stage they played a few tracks off Meshuggahs Catch 33, I noticed a few guys rocking out a bit to those tracks.

I can't much in terms of a review other than the fact that I NEED to experience The Patient performed live. I haven't yet, I won't be satisfied until I do. I have to admit I'm dissappointed they didn't play it in TO. I hope they play it next time they come around.

The last thing worth mentioning is my brother-in-law caught one of Maynards water bottles. I bet my mother-in-law drinks it while doing laundry!

Last edited by HADA 11; 05-20-2006 at 06:39 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #120
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by HADA 11
Did anyone else notice he wasn't wearing shoes?
Easier to use the synth and pedals.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: