opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 03. H.
User Name
Password
Old 08-13-2003, 01:13 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
"H" is about Jesus Christ?! not about heroin?

One night, I was high and contemplative. I was listening to "H" and although I've had the Aenima CD for more than a year, I was still trying to analyze the meaning of the song. I've heard that many people create an association of the song with a significant other. For months, I clung onto the analysis that the song referred to a man or woman's obsession--even idolatry--for someone they were and currently pining for.

However, that night, I came up with the crazy idea that perhaps the song was about Jesus Christ: the complications of being both being divine and human. I haven't worked out all the kinks yet in order to fully demonstrate this hypothesis, but here are some key points that led me to this discovery. I do not if somone already came up with this idea, but I'm going to state my opinon anyway.

"looking to turn this piss to wine."
-This is an obvious reference to Jesus turning water into wine at the Wedding of Cana. This is Jesus' very first public miracle, spoken in the beginning of the song.

"The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been."
-I saw this as the particular scenario when Lucifer is tempting Jesus in the desert. Satan promises Jesus countries, kingdoms; Jesus could practically take over the world if he promises to bow down to the Devil.

"My blood before me begs me open up my heart again."
-This took just a little bit of research. My mother is very religious, with many pictures of Jesus, Mary, martyrs, and saints. I recall seeing somewhere in my house a picture of Jesus in a white robe, and two rays of lights coming from his heart. One ray was red and the other was white. This painting is known as the Divine Mercy of Jesus painted for a Polish nun, Faustina Kowalska on February 22, 1931. Supposedly, the Lord appeared to Sister Faustina and told her to hire an artist to paint this image she was witnessing. The white ray represents water, which makes souls righteous. And the red ray represents blood.

"These two rays issued forth from the very depths of My tender mercy when My agonized Heart was opened by a lance on the Cross" (299). http://www.peacethroughmercy.com/king.htm

As said above, "my agonized Heart was opened by a lance on the Cross." The image of the divine mercy can clearly illustrate Maynard's lyrics, "my blood before me begs me open up my heart again."

I also heard that the Divine Mercy represents the notion that Jesus is both divine and human. The red rays which indicates blood, represents his human life. While the white rays represents his divinity.

"And I feel this coming over like a storm again."
-A reference to another of Jesus' miracles: the calming of the storm. In case people are not aware of this miracle, Jesus and his apostles were on a boat when a storm broke. All his disciples were frightened, but Jesus criticized their lack of faith, and calmed the storm.

"Without the skin here."
-Matthew 26:41 claims "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

"And the snake is drown and as I looked in his eyes my fear begins to fade."
-When Jesus was in the desert, he perserved against any of Satan's temptations.

"I have died and will die. It's all right. I don't mind."

Obviously, it is claimed in Christian beliefs that Jesus died for the sins of the world. That is quite an honorable sacrifice, don't you think?! And supposedly, Jesus--who is Lord (and the Lord gives nothing but uncondtional love)--knew that his mission was to die for mankind, and loved humanity enough that he "didn't mind" dying for us.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:24 PM   #2
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1129
hence the saying Jesus H Christ?

Hmm....

nice interpretation....
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 04:22 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Re:

I've heard people trying to associate the song with Jesus before, stemming from the Jesus H. Christ thing mentioned directly above, but you did quite a job with defending your hypothesis. All of that makes pretty good sense, though not the same as my feelings on the song (as I have them stated in the thread "'H.' as a struggle for self").

What do you make of the other imagery in the song, such as the opening of the song: "What's coming through is alive. What's holding up is a mirror." Additionally, how do you explain the line "what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine?" The lyrics imply that the snake is what is to turn the piss to wine, and by your interpretation, the snake is symbolic of the devil. While the line may share an obvious concept with the miracle performed by Jesus where he turned water into wine, perhaps it is only used only as metaphor in the song and not meant to be an explicit reference and replay of the miracle.

To respond to your thread title--I definitely do not feel the song is about Heroin, despite being able to see how the theme fits.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:51 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looque
What do you make of the other imagery in the song, such as the opening of the song: "What's coming through is alive. What's holding up is a mirror." Additionally, how do you explain the line "what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine?" The lyrics imply that the snake is what is to turn the piss to wine, and by your interpretation, the snake is symbolic of the devil. While the line may share an obvious concept with the miracle performed by Jesus where he turned water into wine, perhaps it is only used only as metaphor in the song and not meant to be an explicit reference and replay of the miracle.
Well, I said before, I haven't been able to work out the kinks yet for this hypothesis. As for the phase, "...holding up is a mirror." I took it as a metaphor. A mirror can be a symbol of self-reflection, and I can only assume that Jesus had to reflect and truly contemplate the Devil's temptation. According to christian beliefs, Satan supposedly tempts you to do sin. Can you only imagine how completely difficult it is to resist the Devil when he claims he will give you kingdoms to conquer? . We can barely fight the temptations to cheat, steal, and lie. Of course, Jesus would have to think about things before he refuses Lucifer's false promises. Remember, Jesus was human, too.

The first couple of lines of this song are very tricky and difficult to link with my Jesus hypothesis

"What's coming through is alive...
What's holding up is a mirror.
What's singing songs is a snake looking to turn my piss to wine
They're both totally void of hate
but killing me just the same"

Maynard, like many of his songs, is very vague in his lyrics. He doesn't specify what exactly is alive, etc. At first, I thought Maynard was describing three different things: something alive, a mirror, and a snake. But he states, "THEY'RE BOTH" So obviously, Maynard is only describing two different things.

Now, I wasn't sure what two things are void of hate. When he states, "killing me just the same" I took it as an obvious reference to Jesus' crucifixition.

As for the lyrics, "looking to turn my piss to wine" I think you are correct about it just being a metaphor because Satan had no participation in the Wedding of Cana miracle, let alone any one of Jesus' miracles. Perhaps--and I'm not too adamant on this idea--the snake isn't necessarily turning this piss to wine. Yet, maybe he is tempting Jesus to perform a miracle, which actually happened at the Temptation of Jesus in the Desert:

"The tempter approached and said to him [Jesus], "If you are the Son of God, command these stones become loaves of bread." -Matthew 4:3
Old 08-13-2003, 10:36 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2
Satan turning piss to wine

Just an idea, but perhaps the idea of satan turning the piss to wine and Jesus at the wedding of Cana perfectly fit. Jesus turned water to wine. Water is used often in the bible as a symbol for eternal life and so on. Well, water is a good thing in this case, and so he makes his offer of eternal life sweet (wine). Something that people want to drink. Now satan on the other hand would want to tempt Jesus, and he did as you said. Piss is not something you would want to drink, not something good, that is why your body expels it. Satan tries to make things that are bad for you seem like they are sweet, something good. Satan does practice deception. Well, I hope that this is a help, another piece of the puzzle. I'm sure that the pieces fit.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:58 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

hmmm, very insightful. I never looked at it that way. You could be right
Old 08-18-2003, 07:56 AM   #7
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
Opinion/Albums/AEnima/H./Previously Unstated Meaning - snake is not evil
and
same path as above/Adam and Eve
Old 08-19-2003, 02:53 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Hrmmm...

Maynard said in an interview that it was about his son. It's probably about him coming to grips with and adapting to being a father. He possibly questions the things that have a hold on him. Maybe he wonders about the validity of his mental polarity. Free thinkers usually explore temporary belief systems to come to a better understanding of what spirituality means to them. I am no guru on the subject, obviously, but Robert Anton Wilson describes in the Cosmic Trigger forwards that belief is the death of intelligence. That it creates a "reality tunnel". So agnostics usually shift their thinking processes so that they wont get trapped in these needles of thought.

But it still traps them all the same...

This path of free thought opens yourself up to many things. Good and bad. It requires an intelligent person with a high tolerance for all kinds of pain depending on the process. People get caught in this horror and usually hit bottom. They become spiritually bankrupt and they start writing checks their ass cant cash. It drives them deeper and deeper and, if they ever make it out, they usually wake up dead to the world and dont know who the hell they are and dont give a fuck for that matter. Free thought is a wonderful thing. But sometimes I dont think the consequences are taken as seriously as they should be. There's a lot of shit out there waitin for you, heh.

The way I interpret this is that it's hard not to have moments of Jiminy Cricket when you have a divine gift bestowed upon you. But the path he has chose is breathing down his neck. He seems to be fighting with the fact that the path he walks is separating him from his son. I picture Maynard crawling through darkness, smoke and mirrors to get to him.

This song makes me question my own mental polarity. I often wonder if I will have what it takes to make it out the other side. Frustrating... but the path I choose all the same. I'll prolly have different thoughts on it tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:13 PM   #9
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1718
I believe this song to be about how people crucify themselves...sacrifice themselves for another...

"...recalling of the times I have died, I will die, I don't mind..."
Old 08-20-2003, 06:55 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

"I believe this song to be about how people crucify themselves...sacrifice themselves for another... "

def. crucify - [v] criticize harshly or violently;

Why does everybody equate Jesus with that word? When theives were crucified the same way that Jesus was, (there were two theives crucified on either side of Jesus) were they sacrificing themselves for another? Not necessarily. Crucifixion was a publicly humiliating death. Humility can be a beautiful thing and is absolutely necessary when it comes to spiritual progression.

"...recalling of the times I have died, I will die, I don't mind..."

I think he could be sacrificing himself here, but for who or what and why? It's a lot easier to say "Fuck it" or "I don't mind" than to answer these questions. Ignorance is bliss.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:26 AM   #11
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 64
Sure, perhaps it is about Jesus Christo but perhaps it's about the Jesus Christo in each of us and how we face our snakes. Maybe that "coming through and alive" is each and everyone's spiritual potential. The mirror? The mirror is the reflection of Jesus consciousness or perhaps its potential back upon ourselves. Piss to wine...the symbolic transmuation of base to higher explains itself, no?

People tend to take the concept of Jesus as some form of ultimate and 'never-been-done before' feat. When all is stripped away, he was just a human. To me the song speaks of the lyricist's travails. It speaks of his moral and spiritual dilemmas. They are only akin to Jesus in the fact that those experiences, confrontations, and decisions are real, regardless of who the person is that experiences it. If the song is about his son, I wouldn't be surprised. Changing ones focus from their self-absorbed living or dying is a hard thing to do. The responsibility of parenthood alone can be a positive and transforming experience that forces some people into deep re-assessment of their values and ways. Parting with sentimental vices can be hard, sometimes.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:23 PM   #12
Banned.

Bincount™: 301
as ive always said, most tool songs are written with alot of sattire and cleverness, most of there songs always seem to be written about a subject just very vaguely so it could fit several situations, and within the song there is kind of like a message or a lesson, or there opinion on something about mankind or life. just in this song, it could be about christ on the outside so to speak, but as a metaphor about his son or whatever the meaning is behind the song.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:45 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantobourne
Maybe that "coming through and alive" is each and everyone's spiritual potential. The mirror? The mirror is the reflection of Jesus consciousness or perhaps its potential back upon ourselves.
Maybe it can be taken a lot more literally.

"What's coming through is alive." ......birth.

"What's holding up is a mirror." .......his son described as a reflection of himself..... doctor holding up the baby after birth?

"But what's singing songs is a snake" ...Maynard\3rd pers.\influence

"Looking to turn this piss to wine." ...Maynard\3rd pers.\influence

This is obviously setting the conflict. If you look at this song with these things in mind it comes together quite nicely. Maynard's searching himself and contemplating the sacrifices he has to make. He is revisiting his past and feels trapped in his ways. He'll have to change.... it's just hard. Think about it....
Old 08-18-2004, 06:09 PM   #14
Banned.

Bincount™: 5
Re: "H" is about Jesus Christ?! not about heroin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neochrist
as ive always said, most tool songs are written with alot of sattire and cleverness, most of there songs always seem to be written about a subject just very vaguely so it could fit several situations, and within the song there is kind of like a message or a lesson, or there opinion on something about mankind or life. just in this song, it could be about christ on the outside so to speak, but as a metaphor about his son or whatever the meaning is behind the song.
beautiful
Old 01-27-2005, 12:57 AM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

its not nesscarily as easy as that. its almost saying hes just putting the bible in the song. its more than that.hes using it as a modern or different way of thinking to describe somethin, events or the way he feels about something in particular such as maybe his life, or coming out of something in his life (or someones life). hes realized before whats hes doing, its alive, but he hasnt reached what he needs to do, and he reflects on it, but change isnt a fast process. hes geting older, his time is begining to fade, but in the end its all the same, and its going to kill him just the same way. i feel in which the way he says "considerately killing me" hes saying it like "ok, either way, im going to die, but ill make something out of it all"
Old 01-27-2005, 01:12 AM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11
Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudRoach
Maybe it can be taken a lot more literally.

"What's coming through is alive." ......birth.

"What's holding up is a mirror." .......his son described as a reflection of himself..... doctor holding up the baby after birth?

"But what's singing songs is a snake" ...Maynard\3rd pers.\influence

"Looking to turn this piss to wine." ...Maynard\3rd pers.\influence

t....
"What's holding up is a mirror."
he sees a reflection of himself. maynards son is what he sees?
maynard sings songs to his son, maynard is the snake?
he wants his son to grow old. thats where turning piss to wine is.
he grows to an adult, he'll be an adult, he can drink alcohol thats how old he will be. thats what "turn this piss to wine" means?
"hey're both totally void of hate, but killing me just the same"
he loves his son and vice versa.

" I am too connected to you to slip away, to fade away. Days away I still feel you touching me, changing me, "
this could be how he feels about his son?
"and considerately killing me" and throws that in for satire or something?it has no huge significene.

"Without the skin, beneath the storm, under these tears the walls came down. And the snake is drowned and as I look in his eyes, my fear begins to fade recalling all of those times. I could have cried then. I should have cried then."

his body is dying (without the skin, doesnt mean the soul is dying)
he looks into his sons eye and his fears of dying begin to fade, and recalling all those times with his son. he could have cried because he would know hes going to die someday, he will leave his son who he loves.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:48 PM   #17
Banned.

Bincount™: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantobourne
Sure, perhaps it is about Jesus Christo but perhaps it's about the Jesus Christo in each of us and how we face our snakes. Maybe that "coming through and alive" is each and everyone's spiritual potential. The mirror? The mirror is the reflection of Jesus consciousness or perhaps its potential back upon ourselves. Piss to wine...the symbolic transmuation of base to higher explains itself, no?

People tend to take the concept of Jesus as some form of ultimate and 'never-been-done before' feat. When all is stripped away, he was just a human. To me the song speaks of the lyricist's travails. It speaks of his moral and spiritual dilemmas. They are only akin to Jesus in the fact that those experiences, confrontations, and decisions are real, regardless of who the person is that experiences it. If the song is about his son, I wouldn't be surprised. Changing ones focus from their self-absorbed living or dying is a hard thing to do. The responsibility of parenthood alone can be a positive and transforming experience that forces some people into deep re-assessment of their values and ways. Parting with sentimental vices can be hard, sometimes.
LoL Christo, lol
Old 02-01-2005, 09:48 PM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

exojjl...i like the way you put it. i have struggled with this song for years. i say struggled because it is by far my favorite song by tool...you can just hear the amounts of emotion that are in it and it has always been my fav. ive struggled with it because i could never come up with a clear meaning. i always thought it was about a struggle with addiction. but the first lines do seem to be in referrence to the birth of his son. it may be about this or it may not. the important thing about the lyrics of any song is that you can put some meaning to it. it doesnt matter if that was the original meaning of the song just as long as you interpret it with thought and can justify youre reasons for your interpretation.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #19
You got bonked.

Bincount™: 1599

Why do we have the saying Jesus H. Christ? Does anyone know where it came from?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:31 AM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

As far as I know it came from the book Fallen Angels (about the Vietnam War), but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Yeah, I was really wrong: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_H._Christ

Quote:
From Wikipedia
Using the name of "Jesus Christ" as an oath has been common for centuries, but the precise origins of the letter H in the expression Jesus H. Christ are obscure. Whilst many explanations have been proposed, some serious and many humourous, the most widely accepted derivation is from the divine monogram of Christian symbolism, IHC or IHS. One factor in the transmutation of the monogram into the expression Jesus H. Christ may be that when the first syllable of the phrase "Jesus Christ" is strongly emphasised (as some speakers of some English accents may do when cursing), the rhythm suggests a missing middle syllable between "Jesus" and "Christ". The H may have been adopted from the monogram to fill this gap.
And it was Full Metal Jacket, too. Not Fallen Angels.

Last edited by patthew; 04-23-2006 at 12:34 AM..
Old 04-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i think i agree with the son interpretation....the snake is his greed, his want to be a free man without the responsibilities of a child. "my blood before me begs me open up my heart again." his blood is his child, his bloodline. "days away i still feel you touching me, changing me." he sees the future impact of his son. "consideratelly killing me" his son killing the snake, the part of him that was selfish, perhaps unloving.

and other ideas?

Announce the fall schedule goddamnit....
Old 05-03-2006, 11:17 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

it makes a lot more sense that its about his son, and perhaps a little bit of paternal post-natal depresson.

the "looking to turn my piss to wine" lyric, to me has always been about wanting to better ones stance in life, taking something thats poor (piss) and turning into someting better off (wine), and it seems to be more of a piss take of the water to wine incident, or perhaps hoping for a miracle to get him out of the situation he is in.

Just before the "my blood before me begs me, open up my heart again" is "a snake that hardly hisses" could that be him watching over his son sleeping? hardly making a sound, but holds so much potential for harm?

I think thats something that needs a bit more thought, that perhaps the snake is a metaphor for his son, or the selfish feeling that his son is the cause of his current misery.
"Battlefield Earth" is the pinnacle. It's a pure film, pure art. You can put it on, and within seconds of having put it on, you forget you're watching a movie and you walk off and make toast or something. -- MJK
Old 05-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisoftheShadow
One night, I was high and contemplative. I was listening to "H" and although I've had the Aenima CD for more than a year, I was still trying to analyze the meaning of the song. I've heard that many people create an association of the song with a significant other. For months, I clung onto the analysis that the song referred to a man or woman's obsession--even idolatry--for someone they were and currently pining for.

However, that night, I came up with the crazy idea that perhaps the song was about Jesus Christ: the complications of being both being divine and human. I haven't worked out all the kinks yet in order to fully demonstrate this hypothesis, but here are some key points that led me to this discovery. I do not if somone already came up with this idea, but I'm going to state my opinon anyway.

"looking to turn this piss to wine."
-This is an obvious reference to Jesus turning water into wine at the Wedding of Cana. This is Jesus' very first public miracle, spoken in the beginning of the song.

"The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been."
-I saw this as the particular scenario when Lucifer is tempting Jesus in the desert. Satan promises Jesus countries, kingdoms; Jesus could practically take over the world if he promises to bow down to the Devil.

"My blood before me begs me open up my heart again."
-This took just a little bit of research. My mother is very religious, with many pictures of Jesus, Mary, martyrs, and saints. I recall seeing somewhere in my house a picture of Jesus in a white robe, and two rays of lights coming from his heart. One ray was red and the other was white. This painting is known as the Divine Mercy of Jesus painted for a Polish nun, Faustina Kowalska on February 22, 1931. Supposedly, the Lord appeared to Sister Faustina and told her to hire an artist to paint this image she was witnessing. The white ray represents water, which makes souls righteous. And the red ray represents blood.

"These two rays issued forth from the very depths of My tender mercy when My agonized Heart was opened by a lance on the Cross" (299). http://www.peacethroughmercy.com/king.htm

As said above, "my agonized Heart was opened by a lance on the Cross." The image of the divine mercy can clearly illustrate Maynard's lyrics, "my blood before me begs me open up my heart again."

I also heard that the Divine Mercy represents the notion that Jesus is both divine and human. The red rays which indicates blood, represents his human life. While the white rays represents his divinity.

"And I feel this coming over like a storm again."
-A reference to another of Jesus' miracles: the calming of the storm. In case people are not aware of this miracle, Jesus and his apostles were on a boat when a storm broke. All his disciples were frightened, but Jesus criticized their lack of faith, and calmed the storm.

"Without the skin here."
-Matthew 26:41 claims "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

"And the snake is drown and as I looked in his eyes my fear begins to fade."
-When Jesus was in the desert, he perserved against any of Satan's temptations.

"I have died and will die. It's all right. I don't mind."

Obviously, it is claimed in Christian beliefs that Jesus died for the sins of the world. That is quite an honorable sacrifice, don't you think?! And supposedly, Jesus--who is Lord (and the Lord gives nothing but uncondtional love)--knew that his mission was to die for mankind, and loved humanity enough that he "didn't mind" dying for us.
Wow! I always thought the song was about drugs or him being high... Cool Analysis... Another song I think people are confused about is Eulogy. People assume it's about Jesus himself dying for us... Plain and simple I think it's about Self-righteous ones in general. The new CD is good a few songs that are really dark and kinda repetitious but in all they are still my favorite band!
Old 05-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

good interpretation, i read somehwhere in an interview with MJK that he mentions that his sons name is Devo H. anything is possible with Tool lyrics. i also think he uses the sybolism of religion to hide a deeper meaning...
Old 05-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #25
Banned.

Bincount™: 2701

"theres an angel on one shoulder and a devil on another...."
Old 05-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

I think H. stands for two things. Both are directly related to the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other.

Heaven and Hell.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #27
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz
it makes a lot more sense that its about his son, and perhaps a little bit of paternal post-natal depresson.

the "looking to turn my piss to wine" lyric, to me has always been about wanting to better ones stance in life, taking something thats poor (piss) and turning into someting better off (wine), and it seems to be more of a piss take of the water to wine incident, or perhaps hoping for a miracle to get him out of the situation he is in.

Just before the "my blood before me begs me, open up my heart again" is "a snake that hardly hisses" could that be him watching over his son sleeping? hardly making a sound, but holds so much potential for harm?

I think thats something that needs a bit more thought, that perhaps the snake is a metaphor for his son, or the selfish feeling that his son is the cause of his current misery.
I agree that "turn my piss into wine" is metaphorically speaking about bettering the quality of his life. I would also Google Carl Jung and what "the snake" is, that will help some of you with the terminology. H. I do believe is definately about his son although, written vaguely enough to take the shape of some other ideas. But if you read the lyrics and keep it being his son in mind and read what "the snake" is in Carl Jung's philosophy as well as "the shadow". Those things will shed some light on the layered meaning between his son and his struggle to "step through his shadow" meaning to evolve as a person and to become a better one for his son but struggling with the life he has lived, "shedding his skin". Good luck
Old 05-17-2006, 02:57 PM   #28
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonKat13
I believe the song is about his son. In fact when I saw them in '97 he even said this song was for his son Devo.

I believe it is a internal struggle between having a child and the music biz and all the stuff that goes with it (sex, drugs, and everything in between). Very well versed. Hits home with me...minus all the music biz metaphors. ;)

Yeah, he mentioned Devo H. when someone asked him an interview as well. I always thought about how maybe it was the decision to have this child with the woman he refers to in Pushit, and their dysfunctional relationship. He knows the affect Devo can have on him and such. He mentioned the devil on one shoulder and angel on the other but in real life we have friends who give us advice but only you know what is best for you.

Last edited by dissonance19; 05-17-2006 at 03:04 PM..
Old 05-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #29
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissonance19
Yeah, he mentioned Devo H. when someone asked him an interview as well. I always thought about how maybe it was the decision to have this child with the woman he refers to in Pushit, and their dysfunctional relationship. He knows the affect Devo can have on him and such. He mentioned the devil on one shoulder and angel on the other but in real life we have friends who give us advice but only you know what is best for you.
That's just silly. H is about herpes, I mean...think about it. Really.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:20 PM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: Hrmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudRoach
This song makes me question my own mental polarity. I often wonder if I will have what it takes to make it out the other side. Frustrating... but the path I choose all the same. I'll prolly have different thoughts on it tomorrow.
Great stuff.
Mental polarity and the dual nature of life/experiences is something the greatest minds in the world have dealt and continue to deal with. It's also what qualifies (according to critics) a specific director to be considered an "auteur" --- his/her ability to explore the tension that duality brings (read Andrew Sarris on "auteur theory").

Duality/Dichotomy are also fundamental Christian themes (or, I should say, fundamental themes of human consciousness that Christianity illuminates).

As Christians, we are both mortal and divine, saint and sinner.

Interesting stuff if you ask me.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 05-25-2006, 03:48 AM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 55

eugh. would be gross if maynard were christian.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobcam
eugh. would be gross if maynard were christian.
See, now it's shit like that that makes people never want to be able to speak their own minds about what they think/feel/believe.

Thanks for making a mindless comment that might offend people simply because you feel like Christians are "gross".

Way to be "open-minded" and "tolerant".

Way to buy into the close-minded idea that all Christians act and live like Jerry Falwell or televangelists.

Some of us do seek to be progressive.

Some of us DON'T appreciate what Bush is doing in the White House and with our nation.

Some of us ARE for the Separation of Church and Hate.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 05-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

Sorry, koobcam, it's kind of a sore subject sometimes.

I get tired of everyone coming down on Christians because of the few that destroy the name in America.

If anyone's interested, I recommend reading "Blue Like Jazz" - kind of touches on similar subject matter.

Really: no offense intended.

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 05-31-2006, 09:39 PM   #34
YMM
Level 2 - Poster

I think the references to Jesus are real, but aren't there to simply tell the story of Jesus.

Maynard is describing loving someone who hurts you (though not on purpose), even before the biblical allusions. The bible comparisons just strengthen this meaning by comparing it to how Jesus loved humanity and was crucified.

Or, the lyrics could not be referring to Jesus at all, and he is just referring to Jesus in the title to say that his mother's relationship with Jesus did nothing but harm her (as at this time it would appear he was still angry about that).
Old 06-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow never thought about the song in a biblical sense. I just always thought the song was about his son.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #36
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

you backed up your hypothesis well but i still think it has to do with his son
Old 06-29-2006, 12:04 AM   #37
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGT from back in the day
you backed up your hypothesis well but i still think it has to do with his son
This guy here is definitely right. In an interview Maynard was asked what the song was about and his answer was :
My son' name is Devo H. That's all i'll say.

So the song is about child abuse!!! Children which were abused tend towards abusive behaviour as adults and Maynard himself has experiences with abuse and the song is about his worries that he might treat his son as he was treated.

I could go into details with explaining the lyrics but i think it's pretty obvious.
But Ænima blew my frecking mind!
Old 06-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #38
Banned.

Bincount™: 41

H - half empty half full
a father letting go of his son
Maynards angry message about the death of Bill Hicks
Have you guys heard third leg ?
maynard says this was about friends who gave advice but only you know what's best for you

could be anything that's the great thing about vagary
Old 07-14-2006, 01:42 PM   #39
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 1

hmmm... I haven't even thought of Jezus taking into account this song ...yeah..nice interpretation....Sister FAustina Kowalska is quite close to my heart ...is this picture with two rays wide known all over the world??:o i thought it's famous only here, in Poland:P
Old 08-02-2006, 05:41 PM   #40
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I still think heroine

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: