opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 08. Ticks and Leeches
User Name
Password
Old 11-21-2002, 12:33 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
in reply to everything on this section

okay, i've read a lot of these posts on the song "ticks & leeches" and a lot are b.s. and ignorant.

first of all, i understand the debate of which word maynard sings (blood, friend, uh, fruit). but when people say that this site has the correct lyrics, they're totally wrong. first of all, maynard NEVER TYPED THE LYRICS IN HIMSELF. these lyrics were copied and pasted from toolband.com, word for word, practically. if you've been coming here a while, you'll note that on the old site the lyrics page had a bottom frame that said "typed in by [email protected]." so don't believe everything you read, folks.

i read one post where the guy said maynard never wanted to sing "ticks & leeches" live. yes, i've heard the article too, BUT, he has sung it numerous times, and not just once. if you don't believe me, go to deadohiosky.net. he uses a voicebox so he doesn't have to scream so hard.

and to the guy who didn't like "ticks & leeches," what a crappy reason you have. do you think the band is really sitting on their asses contemplating what their damn fans want? not to mention, who their fans are? if this song is horrible, then what about idiotic tracks like "intermission" and "die eier von satan" and "faaip de oiad?" they kinda lose the flow of the albums. i mean, i respect your opinion and all, but don't make stupid judgments of the band because their song leads you to believe something. it's a good song. whether or not it's a favorite amongst many people isn't important. what's important is that they did what they wanted to do, regardless of YOUR opinion. i really dislike analyzing every song, especially with others, so i'll stop there.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:34 AM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

#1 It isn't possible that Maynard typed them FOR toolband.com?

#2 Maynard did say he would never do it live. And I don't think, in the hundred and some shows since the album came out, that a dozen or so times constitutes "numerous". Ticks and Leeches only comes out for special occasions, because it DOES still rip his voice apart, and if you'd noticed, Maynard has been having vocal problems here and there for the entire tour.

#3 I think Tool has a very firm grasp on who its audience is. Do you think Hooker with a Penis would have just shown up on its own by devine providence? A big reason that they try to keep out of the spotlight is that they KNOW that people get distracted away from the music and the message of Tool, especially some of the stupider "mosh no matter what" fans.

#4 For the record, all three of those songs you mention are absolutely brilliant. Intermission if a great musical lead in to Jimmy, and they crack a joke at themselves with it. Die Eir von Satan, again, is a joke. It's sarcasm. It's good humor. It's a recipe for cookies, set in such a way that one could assume it's a Nazi rally. It's called irony, bud. It's also a hint to not believe everything you hear, either. Take your own advice. Faaip De Oiad is a great, chilling close to a really well-rounded album.

#5 For having "respect" for this person's opinion, you sure don't show it very well. You call his opinion both stupid AND moronic, and you go ahead and assume he's totally wrong without giving any more reason as to why he's wrong than he gave to why he's right.

Your entire argument is full of inconsistancies, and I really think that if you had an actual point, you'd be able to back it up with some sort of evidence, or even reasoning, but all you do is attack these people's OPINIONS. Next time you plan on ripping into an opinion, you better form a pretty good one of your own, or don't even say anything.

If you want idiocy and ignorance, I suggest you look in a slipknot forum.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 12:09 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

...since when did i start an argument? and, if you read between the lines, you'd see that i never insulted his opinion, but merely his reasoning. :) and in reference to what i stated before, "idiotic songs," it was only in contrast to the seriousness of the album itself. no shit it's a sarcastic track. it came from a guy who did stand-up (yes, maynard did do stand-up). the song is great, and i don't think that people on a tool website should insult tool songs, even if this is an opinion page. and the funny thing is, to insult a song that states "this is what you're [fucking] getting."

by the way, it seems odd that a man with extreme intelligence in the field of literature would not only type in the lyrics to his songs, but spell "cause" "cuz" and leave a line missing on his own song, "reflection" (see toolband.com).

:)
Old 11-21-2002, 12:54 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

It doesn' t really matter what maynard said on ticks and leeches or how he says it - just intrepret it how you will and leave it at that. There really wouldn't be an opinion section on songs, if we all knew what the songs meant to Tool. That would be boring. That's why they don't tell you the meanings and let you think for yourself.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:48 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

When i saw TOOL in Katowice in Poland during the Ozzfest tour, I heard them play Ticks and Leeches and it was one of the best performaces of a TOOL song i've seen. Maynard was going off the wall with the guitar he plays in this STRANGE position. I hoped that they would play that song, but it seems like they play EVERY other song other than that one.

I'm glad that they keep that just for special occasions I guess. I always felt Third Eye became one of those songs, but they played it at a recent show i went to, and apparently at several others.

in summary, ticks and leeches = well performed song

joe
Old 03-30-2020, 03:06 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: in reply to everything on this section

Nice One

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply