opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/06/11 - Glasgow, Scotland - Academy

SETLIST --

Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/06/11 - Glasgow, Scotland - Academy

Just got back; ears still ringing! Can't confirm set list, but I know they didn't play The Pot which I was looking forward to. First song, Rosetta Stoned, didn't get a lot of reaction which was strange. I suppose it's not as well known as the rest. Stuff from Aenima turned the place mental! It was good to hear Sober, as I'd never heard it live. Band seemed relaxed, with little comment from Maynard. Excellent night out; I would recommend it to anyone!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist(extended)
Right in two
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Sober
Schism(extended)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Evening started badly (already suffered 3 days of montezuma's revenge) as car broke down half mile from house:-( dumped it & ran home to steal wifes car without her knowing;-)

Was very very hot inside,reckon I lost few pounds in weight....which was added bonus!. Maynard muttered something about Belgium....which didn't go down to well with the Glasgow crowd!

Danny & Justin were excellent,vocals were bit quiet but overall a good concert:-)

Last edited by t140; 06-11-2006 at 03:39 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Alrighty, then... picture this if you will.

Began at 11am on Friday 9th June, Donington - eating spicy mexican burgers and looking for Timmy. That night Tool on stage... blew the other bands away (as did Opeth Trivium Metallica) ...Me, for Tool - front row centre stage, thought life couldn't get any better. Tool playout a bitching set to the crowd. Holy fuckin shit

Cut Download cut short, why, CHOICE

Choice 1 - One more day at Donington = full day of solid wall to wall metal
Choice 2 - One 300 mile journey north = another chance to see these four boys

It was so real, like I woke up in wonderland. My pocket,
contained a shiny ticket telling me to make for the north...Scotland, more precisely Glasgow, venue Carling Academy.

Standing outside, waiting, chatting to the chosen people, doors open, me front row centre stage, I cant believe it.
This was so real, finally its my lucky day,
See, my heart is racing, cause this shit never happens to me

Inside, a small, tight and intimate venue with only enough stage for two visuals plus lights, this made it better. Close enough to see Danny pound away on his rig.

M looked pissed-off after Rosetta Stoned. Adam and Justin were really tight with only a couple of fuckups (but hey!!! they're allowed fuckups who the fuck are we to criticise)

Danny was simply awesome, cant remember anything M said. Adam & Justin were pleased with the set

Tool take a bow.

Setlist - think this is correct, I sure someone will point out any errors.

SETLIST --

Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
Right In Two
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Sober
Schism
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Also like to give a huge roar to the crowd - you guys were fuckin fantastic, once again you prove that Scotland is THE place to play
Finally, A word to the Steward who took Danny's stick away from the guy in the front - YOU'RE A WANKER

Spiral Out

Last edited by jeebaz; 06-11-2006 at 03:43 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Great gig, just far, far too hot inside.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie
Great gig, just far, far too hot inside.
Hot is good, hot and sweaty!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Hi, its someone here:
correct set list was:

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Schism suffered a double speed up of timing just after the second verse, and then back to usual timing just before chorus, probably the coolest thing i've heard from any live act.

The band were out of this world! No fuckups to report at this end... my hearing?

Vocals a bit too low, swamped by the other guys talent, but Keenan makes up for that in places. Great set, could have done with more, but thats what makes me come back next time round.

The US government should use these guys for the next "Shock and Awe" set of tactics.... much more casualties....

Raise your glasses for TOOL!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 29

The setlists posted so far are in the wrong order. That said i cannae mind the exact order in the middle but methinks:

Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
AEnema

That was my first Tool gig and, although I haven't had the perfect day today, thankfully the show itself was excellent. As much as i love Rosetta Stoned on the album, i felt i was able to appreciate it better live. Stinkfist was my highlight of the evening, Jambi and Lateralus also stood out but the whole set was awesome. I didn't catch what Maynard was saying about Belgium but i don't think many people did. As i say it was my first show, but was that Reverend Maynard we glimpsed for a second? "Can i get an amen. Can i get a halleluja. Can i get a jesus fucking christ."

Edit: While typing up this post someone else has beaten me to the correct setlist but my post still confirms it right. Not that it's that important.

Last edited by Cows; 06-11-2006 at 05:22 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-11-2006, 05:06 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

I'm sure there was another song (right in two) between Stinkfist and
Forty Six & 2? ...almost sure...well think I am! (no doubt wrong as usual)

Would of liked them to of played 'the pot'.

I heard 'are you out there belgium'...oh which the many responses around me were 'were in f*ckin glasgow' :-)

Yep agree Synkill the double speed schism was one of the highlights:-) Hope I can hear that again oneday.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 12:13 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

First time seeing TOOL live. Got right to the front!

Highlights: Sober, Lateralus, Right in Two (excellent live), solo in Rosetta Stoned.
Not highlights: Security giving away setlists to only women. The sound at the front was extremely muddy.

Life defining moments: Getting to shake both Justin and Danny's hands (twice) and getting Danny to sign the white square on my Aenima album cover. I swear I also saw Maynard go into one of the buses when everyone was huddled around Danny.

Another things to note: Maynard's dancing was phenomenal. I was really impressed with Adam, but then it should not surprise me. Danny was unreal, though he missed coming in at the beginning of Rosetta Stoned which must be his only fuck-up in what.. 15 years? It was pretty funny though.

Maynard's "Can I get an Amen? Can I get a Halleuja? Can I get a Jesus Fucking Christ?" was great, though that was pretty much all he said bar the belgium comment. I really wanted The Pot as I am not so fond of Right in Two but the song really rocked live. Danny's drum work in it was awesome.

There was an old woman at the front (who I think was blind) and Adam made sure she was alright a few times, and gave her a bottle of water. Hats of to him.

Biggest surprise of the night: I never realised how many incredibly hot women liked TOOL, I never even realised there were that many in Scotland. It is probably something to with APC I suppose.

Now, what is with Maynard's towel?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 12:49 AM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

What a gig! Better than the last one in the Barras, they just keep getting better live each time!

Absolutely amazing set, sound was a bit guff up in the Balcony mind you and Maynard's voice was a bit low on the mix but apart from that I don't think we could have asked for any more than we got.

Not got a clue what the hell Maynard said between songs, I heard "mumblemumblemumblemumblemumble Belgium mumblemumblemumble" and the Hallelujiah comments but as I said the rubbish balcony sound didn't help much!

And you are indeed correct Christoff, there was an abundance of bloody hot women at the gig last night. Seems like they only come out for Tool concerts and then go into hiding for five years.

Murray
Old 06-12-2006, 02:34 AM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

there are some things that i just cant understand... ok... it took tool 5 years to release a cd, didnt have a concert in glasgow for quite a long time and the crowd waiting for 1.5 hours just stands and stares... no emotions, no nothing ... weird... if it was in poland the people would gone screaming for tool way before the guys arrive ... next thing is the people's behaviour - THE Band starts playing and ... no reactions, just nodding heads, nothing... like people were watching telly or sthg... well i cannot tell if it was a good gig but i had some fun... until i was thrown out by bouncers in the middle of 46&2 without giving ANY reason ... wtf ???

if any of you remember a black tshirt, short haired guy at the front screaming for tool ... and you know what i might have done just tell me... cuz i dunno... :(
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 02:41 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Why not play 'The Pot'? That track would rip the place apart more than Jambi or Vicarious..... No biggy though. Maynard's snaking moves were excellent. I have to get me one of those diamond encrusted hand gun belts he was wearing. I think he was talking about "causing a siege in Belgium" in his usual cryptic manner. Danny looked like a monster stood next to him at the end.
Highlight was stinkfist and its extended breakdown. Had to peel the t shirt off myself when I got home....... Can't wait to see them under the danish sun at Roskilde. Maybe they'll play The Pot and I'll die happy.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 03:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray
Seems like they only come out for Tool concerts and then go into hiding for five years.
What are you talking about? Have u never been out in edinburgh on a warm summer's afternoon...fucking hell! But i must agree there was a bit of talent last nite, certainly more than your average metal gig.

May i also add, to supplement my earlier post, how brilliantly Rossetta Stoned worked as an opener.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:42 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloocyn
there are some things that i just cant understand... ok... it took tool 5 years to release a cd, didnt have a concert in glasgow for quite a long time and the crowd waiting for 1.5 hours just stands and stares... no emotions, no nothing ... weird... if it was in poland the people would gone screaming for tool way before the guys arrive ... next thing is the people's behaviour - THE Band starts playing and ... no reactions, just nodding heads, nothing... like people were watching telly or sthg... well i cannot tell if it was a good gig but i had some fun... until i was thrown out by bouncers in the middle of 46&2 without giving ANY reason ... wtf ???

if any of you remember a black tshirt, short haired guy at the front screaming for tool ... and you know what i might have done just tell me... cuz i dunno... :(
When I watch tool i hardly react either. It's like being in a trance. I just prefer not to push and shove people. When I saw the prodigy, there's no real reason to look up as it's just not worth it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 03:46 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

the setlist with right in two in the middle is correct, the "other song" another poster talks about was the extended middle section of stinkfist.

I think opening with rosetta stoned was a little ambitious, especially as the slightly muddy mix and maynards walkietalkie thingy mean that what should be crisp, tight and crushingly heavy loses some of its impact.

What was with Dannys pads in right in two? The was one particular drum he would hit that must have been resonating because it came out so loud and bassy it made my face shake.

All in all a phenomenal night and I was also a little perplexed by the lack of reaction from the crowd, makes me wonder how many were actual tool fans and how many were just along for the chance to see one of the most talked about bands in metal.

Lateralus had to be the stand out track, the groove got even some of the folded arms guys dancing. Second up was the immaculate rendition of 46 & two, ive seen them have a couple of glitches with the section just before the drum solo in the past but they hammered it out flawlessly last night.

Final thing, the hang at the beginning of rosetta stoned? Intentional or a fuckup? I guess I'll find out on tuesday when its down to London to see them again at the Apollo.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 04:07 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

I was a bit p'd off with maynard last night as at times he just looked like he didnt care. During the real meaty break down in the middle of right in two, he didnt even sing the "fight over...." , he didnt even go with the flow of the music either, he just stood ringing out a towel.

I was one of those head nodders, not going mental and pissing folk off round about me, just watching from a good distance and enjoying their music. The reaction of everyone else was irrelevant to me, what materred to me was how it made me feel.
It was an excellent night, was blown away by 46 & 2 and Jambi and as said before the extended portion of Schism was just a bit special.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 04:10 AM   #18
Medium Pimpin'

Bincount™: 1282

They didn't play
The Pot
Parabol/Parabola
10,000 Days
and various other epic songs.

Still.
Amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 05:34 AM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cows
What are you talking about? Have u never been out in edinburgh on a warm summer's afternoon...fucking hell! But i must agree there was a bit of talent last nite, certainly more than your average metal gig.
Usually kick about in Glasgow, even then I've got blurry vision with a pint infront of my face lol. Will have to go through soon to Edinburgh for the apparent swatch you have advertised.

Agreed on Rosetta Stoned being a great choice as an opener. Would have liked to hear H or a couple more from Aenima but we got a pretty decent set so can't really complain.

Hope the next five years pass quickly lol!

Murray
Old 06-12-2006, 05:56 AM   #20

There was something on the official site a while back saying this was just a warm-up tour, but i couldn't work out if that was just a reference to the US dates. It would make sense, however, given the fact that a lot of the european dates i think are festivals. In which case maybe it will be sooner rather than later that Tool return to our fine country, perhaps with a more varied setlist (I personally would love to hear Jimmy, Pushit, The Grudge and a bit more off Undertow and Opiate live).

Was it just me or did Maynard mutter before AEnema something like "see you again soon"?
Old 06-12-2006, 06:18 AM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereformant
I also a little perplexed by the lack of reaction from the crowd, makes me wonder how many were actual tool fans and how many were just along for the chance to see one of the most talked about bands in metal.
my feeling exactly :(
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 06:34 AM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

I thought the crowd got into the band extremely well. certainly from was i was standin i couldnt see much of the stage for people moving up and down. and the cheers they got after songs were amazing. and also right at the end when tool were basking in their own glory (takin bows etc) ive never heard such loud cheers from a crowd before.

And can i also just say, how awesome is maynards dancing!? that mesmorised me for a while!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

im stunned. so good to see them at such a small venue. first of all though what's with the carling academy, it doesn't have to party spirit. for the barrowlands you ahve to be there early to get to the front. me and my mate were there from 7.30 am and noone turned up for many many hours after.oh well. the gig itself was astonishing though. perfect setlist, absolutely brillient atmosphere and all four of them giving it their absolute all. turely spiralled out. the appreciation towards the end with the 'mock encore' was also very special and genuine. unbeatable.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Maynard said " I hear we're big in Belgium, that's good if you like Belgium"
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

First time seeing Tool in concert, Tool were great, most of the crowd sucked, if you just want to stand there then put on the CD in your living room. I think the "Belgium" comment was something along the lines of "We've got a new album out... which sold well in Belgium, which is good.... if you like Belgium..." but I could be mistaken.
Gotta say hi to Andrew and his friend who I met in the line, Shane and Colin the random Irish dudes from before the show, and that guy I was singing (well, shouting really) part of Aenima with. Not sure if I remembered any of those names correctly or spelled them right, whatever.

Quote:
Was it just me or did Maynard mutter before AEnema something like "see you again soon"?
I was trying to figure out what he said, that would fit right... or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

God bless Tool!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhrin

I was trying to figure out what he said, that would fit right... or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

God bless Tool!
I heard that too.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 11:54 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereformant
What was with Dannys pads in right in two? The was one particular drum he would hit that must have been resonating because it came out so loud and bassy it made my face shake.
I think that was Justin's bass. It seemed to be overly-resonant at times.

Fucking awesome gig though. First time seeing Tool and I was just blown away. I couldn't describe how I felt after it. To see them play was truly perplexing. I think for half the set I just stood there counting along to the time signatures.

Didn't anyone else notice that they played Intension as an intro to Right in Two? I thought that was pretty sweet.

Adam's playing in the songs was amazing. And Danny's tabla solo in Right in Two was awesome. Does anyone know if he uses the electric pad on the album version or whether it's real tabla?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 12:10 PM   #28
lrw
Level 1 - Lurker

the reason most folk probably didn't jump about etc was the fact that you get chucked out of the academy for that stuff. saw the security wading into the crowd a few times and grabbing guys that had been taking photos etc.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Superb ... worth the flight up to see it. Definately got better as it rocked on, Lateralus, Vicarious, Aenima ... WoW.

Maynard showed stamina despite looking uncomfortable with what appeared to be a nosebleed or a mic-smack-in-teeth incident half way through ... the band put in an extended feedback interlude while he held a soaked towel to his face - definitely looked like blood there. Then he rocked straight back into Right in Two, looked like he kept pressing his nose/mouth with the towel for the rest of the show. Not surprised he didn't hang around for the group hug at the end.

Rock on, most other leads would have left the stage.

Yep the intro to intension was very sweet ... nice touch.

Lookin' forward to the two Hammersmith gigs :-)
Old 06-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #30
wraithin' it with da ancients

Bincount™: 16535

Whoa. lol my friend made an extra special cape just for this but almost got thrown out because of it.

the highlight fior me was the extended stinkfist, was it just me or was it super extended? and the scream of "Right!!" just magic.

lateralus was also agreeable, Ænema IS the best closing song ever, the house might as well have been flushed down with the energy that was rebounding across the academy.

also the posters that were being sold are IMMENSE.

two thumbs up. (i only have two, if i had three it would get three)

Last edited by martyr; 06-12-2006 at 02:40 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrw
the reason most folk probably didn't jump about etc was the fact that you get chucked out of the academy for that stuff. saw the security wading into the crowd a few times and grabbing guys that had been taking photos etc.
Cant speak for Tool ,but I know APC have a no moshing policy at gigs, cause I got a stewards program at the last one and it said it was at the request of the band,not the venue.

Its so you can actually listen to the music and lyrics and not have little slipknot fans bumpin into you and shit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

that was truly a phenenomal show. Extended stinkfist, jambi just incredible. Its immpossible not to be even more impressed by adam, justin and danny when you actually see them do what they do. That intro to sober, with the huge apocalyptic synths, that was incredible. anyone else think the intro to vicarious sounded like what they used to do before disposition, justin definately did the same whammy thing. not that im complaining, i loved every second of it. hearing the middle section of schism live, after the new fast bit, thats worth a million shitty days at work or bad hangovers. i'll fly to any fucking place i can from now on. and i agree, scotland rocks. very very cool people. and cheap ass drink in most bars.

Last edited by Stigsy; 06-12-2006 at 02:32 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #33
Medium Pimpin'

Bincount™: 1282

Lateralus was great for me. I was in awe.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 11:14 PM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

I take back what i said about Maynard if he did in fact take a whack in the face that was problematic for the rest of the night....
If that was the case then i guess he did pretty well

Still buzzing two days on.....
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

Maynard said "I hear we're big in Belgium, that's good if you like Belgium"

That's good to hear, being Belgian and all :)
Unfortenately Mr Herman Schuermans doesn't seem to know how big they actually are.
He didn't even headline tool for Rock Werchter, so now they have to play a short setlist of 1h somewhere in the afternoon. Before Black Eyed Peas lol

Good thing I went to see them in Pinkpop. Was my first time seing tool (for my gf too) and we both loved it!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 12:19 AM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

Ha,so you think crowd was fantastic?It was LAME.My 3rd show:1st one was in Warsaw,2nd was in Berlin and now Glasgow and last two were nothing comparing all three...oh,people of the west,how little you know about good concerts.I don't want to sound like a nationalist but if you wanna see a Tool-worthy audience :24.06.06- Katowice,POLAND.HOW CAN YOU NOT JUMP?HOW CAN YOU NOT SHOUT?If you don't jump,if you don't shout DON'T GO TO A FRONT ROWS!!!Looking at me like i would kill your mother.....Did Maynard said "You don't look too amused?" at one point?NO WONDER.
apart from that great show!!!!
UND KEINE EIER!!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 01:41 AM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruze
Ha,so you think crowd was fantastic?It was LAME.My 3rd show:1st one was in Warsaw,2nd was in Berlin and now Glasgow and last two were nothing comparing all three...oh,people of the west,how little you know about good concerts.I don't want to sound like a nationalist but if you wanna see a Tool-worthy audience :24.06.06- Katowice,POLAND.HOW CAN YOU NOT JUMP?HOW CAN YOU NOT SHOUT?If you don't jump,if you don't shout DON'T GO TO A FRONT ROWS!!!Looking at me like i would kill your mother.....Did Maynard said "You don't look too amused?" at one point?NO WONDER.
apart from that great show!!!!
UND KEINE EIER!!!!!!

^^^^^^
Ok then!!
I thought the gig was immense first time seeing tool and i thouroughly enjoyed it. maaged to stay in the front row the whole night was helped me see and appreciate even more what each band member has to do in the band.
What can i say about dannys drumming - it blew me away . i knew he was good but actually seeing what he does is truly something.
Justins bass playing - magical. he sometims managed to make his bass sound like another instrument withthose effects e.g the solo from vicarious is actually played on bass - someone told me this but i didnt believe it till i saw t.
Adam - one talented guy amazing guitar work from mr jones especially using the microphone talkbox for the solo to jambi(i think) and playing the guitar at the same time. also he played the synthesiser (WITH HIS FEET!) at the same time as playing the guitar (on rosseta stoned).
Maynard although didnt say much - had great prescene with his hypnotic vocals and groovy dance moves. such anamazing voice ((in my opinion one of the best vocalists in music today).

Meeting danny and justin afterwards and getting their autograph was an added bonus (thanks thanks to the guys for taking the time to sign all those autographs and be so patient with us all).

However
The only problem i had with the night (and nothing to do with the band) was the shitty attitudes of the security staff. the rest of the staff were was excellent but the guards at the front of the stage (and one in particular who tried to make his presecne felt outside afterwards) were rediculous. I know they are there to do their job but surely there job is to keep the peace and help make people feel safe in order to enjoy their concert, not threaten people (thats what i believe i witnessed) and tell them thay will have their phone taken off them. yeah if they were taking a photo or recording the show but whats the problem with writting a text to tell your friends back home that the gig is amazing.

All in all one hell of a gig totally amazing seeing my fave band for the first time. No complaints with the band or set. But carling academy security staff should sort their attitude!!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 02:15 AM   #38
Level 3 - Talker

I think people are making too big a deal over what to do at tool shows, if you want to stand around and embrace the music then thats cool, likewise if you wanna jump shout and feel the aggression thats cool too. Its a personal choice and as long as you arent detracting the enjoyment of other fans then i say go ahead. Personally, i love to just stand in awe watching the band and embracing the visuals and the music and I feel thats the way the band would prefer it. The band do request that there be no moshing (not the venue) as well as cameras, etc.

I thought the point was that tool (and maynard in particular) needs to connect to the audience and he has stated several times that he finds it imposible to do this with flashes going off in his face and people going crazy in front of him. I dont have a problem with it but my personal choice would be to respect the wishes of the performer.

Sure tool havent played since their heavenly gig at the barras but i have a lot of respect that when they do play in the uk, they almost always try to incorporate Scotland. A lot of bands dont bother (or they play t in the park and tick off the obligatory scottish date box). I love tool and cant wait to see them again. I would have to say I got more out of the barras gig in 2001 but that was my first time seeing the band and thats such a special thing.

One thing I would say is that the main reason i didnt find it such a big experience compared to the barras was the visuals, not so much the visuals themselves but the fact that due to the dimensions of the academy stage they could only fit 2 of the 4 screens up. It would have been nice to have a wall of visuals and light with the band almost completely obscured. Dont get me wrong, I loved this gig and I couldnt reasonably fault any part of the performance. Just cheer more next time guys...its tool for god's sake.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:23 AM   #39
Level 3 - Talker

Great show, too many high points to list...

We were around three foot from the front just right of centre (yep, in a big blue flowery surfer-type shirt).

Can't wait to see them again!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 02:25 AM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

yeah man i completly agree with you its really up the the person where they jump about or stand still enjoying the music just as long as they dont affect other peoples enjoyment. i personally was just so happy at seeing them i just stoof there nodding my head calmy to the music and singing along and thats they way i enjoy it. i personally dont need to go mental and jump about at this particualr gig to hav an amazing tym
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: