opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 12. Cesaro Summability
User Name
Password
Old 05-16-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310
how does this song relate to the mathematical Cesaro Summability definition?

I'm a math student here at Costa Rica's University. I have been across CS's definition, which is pretty simple and can be seen here, if anyone's interested:

http://toolshed.down.net/pix/cesarodefn.gif

What I can't understand is how this relates to the song...

I mean how it really relates to the song. It can't be related just because they're singing the definition in the song... that wouldn't feel right.

So thanks for any reply.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
Banned.

Re: how does this song relate to the mathematical Cesaro Summability definition?

Can I get a sticky here, or something?
Old 05-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: how does this song relate to the mathematical Cesaro Summability definition?

perhaps... much like "Die Eier Von Satan"... the song is meant to start conversation about about the inclusion of something so abstract and "divergent" from the rest of the record, yet in doing so, we are Cesaro Summabilit-ing because we are attempting to "attatch some useful meaning to a divergent series"?

Interesting when people don't bother looking up obscure titles to Tool tracks and then try to figure out what they mean, isn't it?

Thanks for the .gif, I'll study it some more.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 05-25-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
Banned.

Hmm... I'll think about that. I was hoping that maybe the meaning had more specifically to do with the mathematical definition, yet your brief explanation does relate...

I didn't get this: "Interesting when people don't bother looking up obscure titles to Tool tracks and then try to figure out what they mean, isn't it?"

Thanks for the reply though.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:21 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota
I didn't get this: "Interesting when people don't bother looking up obscure titles to Tool tracks and then try to figure out what they mean, isn't it?"
It was just an observation about people who don't do research (unlike you) and try to post with any sort of authority. It was more of a "thanks-for-not-being-one-of-those-guys" remark.

So... thanks for not being one of those guys.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 05-29-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethestories
It was just an observation about people who don't do research (unlike you) and try to post with any sort of authority. It was more of a "thanks-for-not-being-one-of-those-guys" remark.

So... thanks for not being one of those guys.
That's cool. Too bad we're the only ones posting here...

:)
Old 06-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

it would be nice to find some kind of meaning in this song, bc to me it kinda is just annoying... and scary

to me its the aenima equivalent of Lipan Conjuring in 10,000 Days -- its useless and if anying, annoying. I just skip over it
Old 06-05-2006, 07:28 AM   #8
Banned.

I mostly skip CS, but I hardly skip LC! I actually kinda like it. CS is very annoying. That's why we must find some useful meaning for it!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:31 AM   #9
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

Hey wow, I finally understand what that means...

Yay for taking precalc.

But yeah that probably has nothing to do with the song. I always skip it anyway.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #10
Banned.

Now help us relate the song title, shit-in-a-toilet.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #11
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

I don't think it is related. It's just a cool title.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #12
Banned.

Yeah. What do those Tool guys know about math, huh!
Old 12-18-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

Isn't Cesaro Summability the ability to quantify the infinite, or something like that? Then, isn't the frustration of trying to quantify the infinite, like trying to define the indescribable, somewhat of a scream? I know I'd scream if I tried to do something so complex.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

This is just me, but when i dont' konw the answer I say "I dont' know the answer" rather than say "There is no answer, and like... that's what it *means*, man! 'Cause Tool is so great that they just put random noise on there, and call it "random noise" but like, in a *math* way, man! Deeeeeeep." Anyway, uh, I've no fucking idea what the hell that track is about, and for that reason I hate it. Visciously.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #15
Banned.

i agree. its not good. as a siegue.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

In Cesaro Summation, diverging series may still have one sum. This can be related to the different spellings: Aenima vs. Aenema...they both mean the same thing, but are spelled in differing (diverging) ways. Also note that the title track comes directly after this.

I honestly don't know what the baby and the distorted voice have to do with anything, though.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #17
Banned.

^ nice. never seen it that way...

the baby is still a mystery...
Old 01-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #18
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

wierd title, wierd segue
Old 01-16-2007, 12:07 AM   #19
Banned.

its still a complete mystery to me...
Old 01-19-2007, 11:45 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

whats the porpose of this 'song'?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:31 PM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

How about the person talking in the background. Can anyone make out what he is saying? sounds like another language, maybe it's to be played backwards? Perhaps the baby cries relates to what bassplayerphillip said. "Isn't Cesaro Summability the ability to quantify the infinite, or something like that?" Maybe the it speaks to something along the lines of parabola. We are infinite but contained in a finite body. I could be way off but its just a thought.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 2

A caesarean section (AE cesarean section), or c-section, is a form of childbirth in which a surgical incision is made through a mother's abdomen (laparotomy) and uterus (hysterotomy) to deliver one or more babies. It is usually performed when a vaginal delivery would lead to medical complications, although it is increasingly common for births that would otherwise have been normal as well. ~ wikipedia

i'd like to know what that voice is saying and what that spinning sound is that sounds like a slowing propeller. i don't have the proper sound software, but i'm sure someone could tinker with it.

Beyond that, we could make up the most elaborate connections like: a cesaro sum is about making finite a divergent series and a caesarean is when we unnaturally remove a baby from the womb, which both connote mankind's tendency to fuck up the natural way things are. Being between pushit - putting shit everywhere it don't belong - and aEnema - the process of removing said shit, this rug... err.. segue really ties the room.. err.. album together.
He's not wrong as well so you can
Point that fuckin' mouse on 'cancel'.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:13 AM   #23
Banned.

cesaro... cesearean...

hmm.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #24
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

I just like how Tool makes us think about just about everything and gives us unnecessary things like CS and tell us to make something out of nothing. Maynard and the boys would be great professors.

Last edited by a-groan-of-tedium; 02-19-2007 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: more detail
Old 02-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #25
Banned.

you got a point there too.

now make a thread about it and gtfo of this one.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: