Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
æmoeba•°·.'s Avatar æmoeba•°·.
03-14-2007, 11:04 AM

You're welcome.

First: When you write, "Repugnant is a creature...", add a comma between ' heaven, conscious '.

It sounds different, but you'll end up with a sentence that makes more sense: " Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

Second: I'm not sure about any of you, but I catch the lyrics:

Fight 'til they die, over sun, over sky,
and fight 'til they die, over men, over enemy,
fight 'til they die, over blood, over love.
They fight 'til they die, 1.[*over words for the writing.] 2.[over words, over writing.] 3.[over words, over-writing.]

(* = Most practical phrase.)

I hope that helps, a little. "Picture love with patience, and reason." is correct.

Take care.

-Andrew

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 03-14-2007 at 11:14 AM..
Old 03-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #801
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9
Re: 10 - Right In Two lyrics

You're welcome.

First: When you write, "Repugnant is a creature...", add a comma between ' heaven, conscious '.

It sounds different, but you'll end up with a sentence that makes more sense: " Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

Second: I'm not sure about any of you, but I catch the lyrics:

Fight 'til they die, over sun, over sky,
and fight 'til they die, over men, over enemy,
fight 'til they die, over blood, over love.
They fight 'til they die, 1.[*over words for the writing.] 2.[over words, over writing.] 3.[over words, over-writing.]

(* = Most practical phrase.)

I hope that helps, a little. "Picture love with patience, and reason." is correct.

Take care.

-Andrew

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 03-14-2007 at 11:14 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
benjamin's Avatar benjamin
03-14-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
"Picture love w/ patience, and reason." is correct.
Is not correct.

Have Fun.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #802
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
"Picture love w/ patience, and reason." is correct.
Is not correct.

Have Fun.
03-14-2007, 01:10 PM

...live version, shmive shmersion! ***

But, even in Japan; "...lift an eye to heaven..." still sounds like; "...live tonight at heaven..."

...jesus. Say aloud; lift an eye to heaven. There's a pause to enunciate the H-sound for "heaven" ...now listen to the line in the song, there's a T-sound JUST before "heaven" like... lift an eye tat heaven..."

I stand incorrec ...no wait, uncorrect ed

Peace.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #803
Level 8 - Vociferous

...live version, shmive shmersion! ***

But, even in Japan; "...lift an eye to heaven..." still sounds like; "...live tonight at heaven..."

...jesus. Say aloud; lift an eye to heaven. There's a pause to enunciate the H-sound for "heaven" ...now listen to the line in the song, there's a T-sound JUST before "heaven" like... lift an eye tat heaven..."

I stand incorrec ...no wait, uncorrect ed

Peace.
03-14-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post

I don't know what you hear, what quality your speakers are, or if you didn't turn the video up loud enough, but I can clearly hear, " Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

You may hear Danny's symbol in the backround, and that may cover it a little bit, but otherwise, I have no idea how you would have come up with a "tat" sound, instead of "to".

Let me ask you, what other word could it be that actually makes sense in that phrase if it just happened to be different than "to". You wasted your entire time complaining about one word, and having me correct you for it.

Oh, and, " Picture love with patience, and reason." is in the album version of the song as well. You think it's "in", but it's really "with". Listen harder.

Take care.

-Andrew

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 03-14-2007 at 03:38 PM..
Old 03-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #804
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

I don't know what you hear, what quality your speakers are, or if you didn't turn the video up loud enough, but I can clearly hear, " Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

You may hear Danny's symbol in the backround, and that may cover it a little bit, but otherwise, I have no idea how you would have come up with a "tat" sound, instead of "to".

Let me ask you, what other word could it be that actually makes sense in that phrase if it just happened to be different than "to". You wasted your entire time complaining about one word, and having me correct you for it.

Oh, and, " Picture love with patience, and reason." is in the album version of the song as well. You think it's "in", but it's really "with". Listen harder.

Take care.

-Andrew

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 03-14-2007 at 03:38 PM..
03-14-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Repugnant is a creature who will squander the ability
To live tonight at heaven concious of his fleeting time here

Cu-ut it all right in two
Gotta divide it all right in two
Cutn' divide it all right in two

they fight or they die
over earth over sky
they fight for their life
over ground over the air
and light over love
over sun over blood
they fight till they die
over words over writing

Angels on the sideline again
Benched along with patience and reason
Wondering when this tug-of-war will end

Cut my love right in two
Cut and divide it all right in two
Right in two
I've listened to this album so much that the only explanation would be that I've heard it too much. That is an idea I catigorically reject. I've listened on multiple stereo setups. I've listened at various volume levels. I hear it as I've typed above. What "eye", exactly would one "lift to heaven"? Would this mean A) staring up at the sky. B) contemplating the afterlife in a blissful state that one must aspire to gain entry to. or C) both. Either way, I don't believe that has any more validity than thinking one has the ability to live tonigh at heaven. Even though the come conception would be to say that one can live tonight IN heaven. Maybe it becomes a "statement" to phrase it as at instead of in. Maybe living tonight at heaven means makin sweet love!!! as in; war is the opposite of "SWEET LOVE!!" Yeah, repugnant IS a creature who will squander the ability to make sweet love, aware of the fact that he's gonna die someday...

wtf? correct me for it? ;(

Pleeeace.

Have fun.

Benjamin

(dunno why I felt the need to post my name, when it's the same as ...my name...)
Old 03-14-2007, 10:12 PM   #805
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Repugnant is a creature who will squander the ability
To live tonight at heaven concious of his fleeting time here

Cu-ut it all right in two

they fight or they die
over earth over sky
they fight for their life
over ground over the air
and light over love
over sun over blood
they fight till they die
over words over writing

Benched along with patience and reason
Wondering when this tug-of-war will end

Cut my love right in two
Cut and divide it all right in two
Right in two
I've listened to this album so much that the only explanation would be that I've heard it too much. That is an idea I catigorically reject. I've listened on multiple stereo setups. I've listened at various volume levels. I hear it as I've typed above. What "eye", exactly would one "lift to heaven"? Would this mean A) staring up at the sky. B) contemplating the afterlife in a blissful state that one must aspire to gain entry to. or C) both. Either way, I don't believe that has any more validity than thinking one has the ability to live tonigh at heaven. Even though the come conception would be to say that one can live tonight IN heaven. Maybe it becomes a "statement" to phrase it as at instead of in. Maybe living tonight at heaven means makin sweet love!!! as in; war is the opposite of "SWEET LOVE!!" Yeah, repugnant IS a creature who will squander the ability to make sweet love, aware of the fact that he's gonna die someday...

wtf? correct me for it? ;(

Pleeeace.

Have fun.

Benjamin

(dunno why I felt the need to post my name, when it's the same as ...my name...)
03-15-2007, 09:03 AM

I don't hear what you hear, Benjamin, but what you're hearing doesn't make any sense to me. I think that it's "Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, concious of his fleeting time here." Heaven, I think, is the way they chose to represent death, not necessarily going to heaven or having anything to do with it. It goes along with the angels and religious tone of the song. As in, one should realize that life is short, make it worth it while you're alive.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:03 AM   #806
Level 11 - Moogle (tdn $upporter)

Location: Chocobo's Forest Job: Save games & sell goods Description: Fuzzy little winged creature
Bincount™: 694

I don't hear what you hear, Benjamin, but what you're hearing doesn't make any sense to me. I think that it's "Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, concious of his fleeting time here." Heaven, I think, is the way they chose to represent death, not necessarily going to heaven or having anything to do with it. It goes along with the angels and religious tone of the song. As in, one should realize that life is short, make it worth it while you're alive.
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
03-15-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PShepherd11 View Post
I agree with this

=-)~ <--Inner's stamp of approval
Old 03-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #807
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
I agree with this

=-)~ <--Inner's stamp of approval
03-15-2007, 10:50 AM

The reason Benjamin, I think, is getting confused at the part, "Lift an eye.." is because Maynard extends "lift". It's "Liffft an eye...", and that's what you may not be considering, is the fact he does those things ALL OF THE TIME.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #808
Level 7 - Loquacious

The reason Benjamin, I think, is getting confused at the part, "Lift an eye.." is because Maynard extends "lift". It's "Liffft an eye...", and that's what you may not be considering, is the fact he does those things ALL OF THE TIME.
03-15-2007, 03:30 PM

Is english your native tongue? Do you not hear the discprepencies between when you sing it and the way it sounds on the album? Lift an eye da heaven. Is perfectly easy and clear to pronounciate. On the album, however, there's an extra T or D-sound in there like; lift anD eye da heaven, or lift an deyed at heaven...

That is all.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #809
Level 8 - Vociferous

Is english your native tongue? Do you not hear the discprepencies between when you sing it and the way it sounds on the album? Lift an eye da heaven. Is perfectly easy and clear to pronounciate. On the album, however, there's an extra T or D-sound in there like; lift anD eye da heaven, or lift an deyed at heaven...

That is all.
03-15-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Is english your native tongue?
To whom is this addressed?

If you're talking to me, yeah, it is. No, I don't hear what you hear. I wasn't trying to be rude, I just don't agree.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #810

Location: Chocobo's Forest Job: Save games & sell goods Description: Fuzzy little winged creature

Quote:
Is english your native tongue?
To whom is this addressed?

If you're talking to me, yeah, it is. No, I don't hear what you hear. I wasn't trying to be rude, I just don't agree.
03-15-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:

That is all.
Ah, now I understand what you're confused about. On the album, he says the word "to" directly after the word "eye", making it sound like, " to live tonight ". The way Maynard sings it is, "to liffft an eyee tuh heaven", or "to lift an eye to heaven." Listen to it that way, and you'll see why you're misunderstanding the lyrics. This is the best I could do trying to explain it.

Take care.

-Andrew

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 03-15-2007 at 03:58 PM..
Old 03-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #811
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

That is all.
Ah, now I understand what you're confused about. On the album, he says the word "to" directly after the word "eye", making it sound like, " to live tonight ". The way Maynard sings it is, "to liffft an eyee tuh heaven", or "to lift an eye to heaven." Listen to it that way, and you'll see why you're misunderstanding the lyrics. This is the best I could do trying to explain it.

Take care.

-Andrew

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 03-15-2007 at 03:58 PM..
03-15-2007, 11:50 PM

I'm not "confused" about anything. I'm not asking you like you're the TOOLclopedia. It's either my ears playing tricks on me or your ears not hearing "quickly" enough. I'll say/ask again, sing the words; lift an eye tuh heaven. Does it sound like you said tonight at all. Not to me, when I do it. On the album there's an extra D/T-sound. That's all there is to explain. You hear it or not. I appreciate your concern.

Have Fun

P.S. So, to lift an eye to heaven is "the way they chose to represent death"?? wtf, how would lifting an eye to heaven represent death? How would that be "realizing life is short, and make it worth your while."?

Peace.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #812
Level 8 - Vociferous

I'm not "confused" about anything. I'm not asking you like you're the TOOLclopedia. It's either my ears playing tricks on me or your ears not hearing "quickly" enough. I'll say/ask again, sing the words; lift an eye tuh heaven. Does it sound like you said tonight at all. Not to me, when I do it. On the album there's an extra D/T-sound. That's all there is to explain. You hear it or not. I appreciate your concern.

Have Fun

P.S. So, to lift an eye to heaven is "the way they chose to represent death"?? wtf, how would lifting an eye to heaven represent death? How would that be "realizing life is short, and make it worth your while."?

Peace.
03-16-2007, 03:42 AM

I'm not going to go through 21 pages.. but I can't believe no one hears "Cutting thy love, right in two"... Am I really alone in that? It fits the biblical theme of the entire song. Thou and Thy are two of the most used words when talking in this context.. I saw a "Thine" in here, but no "Thy"

"Cutting thy love". Money's on it.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:42 AM   #813
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

I'm not going to go through 21 pages.. but I can't believe no one hears "Cutting thy love, right in two"... Am I really alone in that? It fits the biblical theme of the entire song. Thou and Thy are two of the most used words when talking in this context.. I saw a "Thine" in here, but no "Thy"

"Cutting thy love". Money's on it.
PShepherd11's Avatar PShepherd11
03-16-2007, 05:01 AM

As in some people believe in heaven and some people believe that's a place to go when you die. I said that heaven was representing death, not lifting an eye to it. "Concious of his fleeting time here" does mean, in other words, "aware that life passes quickly." How can this not make sense?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:01 AM   #814

As in some people believe in heaven and some people believe that's a place to go when you die. I said that heaven was representing death, not lifting an eye to it. "Concious of his fleeting time here" does mean, in other words, "aware that life passes quickly." How can this not make sense?
03-16-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:

What does not make sense to me is how the line is put together, if the implied message was only to fathum lifes short existance.

I feel the line is meant to imply that every human can/should be able to realize the peacefull existance that's possible here. Not about death or even heaven at all. "Concious of his fleeting time..." is just an obvious observation.

Again, I have no problem understanding all interpretations of the song. Just a hearing problem, I guess.

Peace.

Last edited by benjamin; 03-16-2007 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: :nosaeR
Old 03-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #815
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

What does not make sense to me is how the line is put together, if the implied message was only to fathum lifes short existance.

I feel the line is meant to imply that every human can/should be able to realize the peacefull existance that's possible here. Not about death or even heaven at all. "Concious of his fleeting time..." is just an obvious observation.

Again, I have no problem understanding all interpretations of the song. Just a hearing problem, I guess.

Peace.

Last edited by benjamin; 03-16-2007 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: :nosaeR
03-16-2007, 07:33 PM

Moving back to the 'What's He Saying?' portion of the thread:

I listened to the TOOL - Right In Two in Japan video, along with the album, again earlier today. I feel pretty certain he's saying:

"Cut my love right in two."

I think it sounds as if he goes, "Cuuut my loove right in two." I'm pretty sure he says 'my' directly after the the 't' in "cut", making sound a little like the letter 'n'. As for the "love" lyric, it sounds like he decresendo's after the 'o' a bit and sings the 've' in "love". If you grasped that concept, you'd agree with me, or you did from the beginning. If you don't agree, good luck searching somemore.

Take care.

-Andrew
Old 03-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #816
Level 7 - Loquacious

I listened to the TOOL - Right In Two in Japan video, along with the album, again earlier today. I feel pretty certain he's saying:

I think it sounds as if he goes, "Cuuut my loove right in two." I'm pretty sure he says 'my' directly after the the 't' in "cut", making sound a little like the letter 'n'. As for the "love" lyric, it sounds like he decresendo's after the 'o' a bit and sings the 've' in "love". If you grasped that concept, you'd agree with me, or you did from the beginning. If you don't agree, good luck searching somemore.

Take care.

-Andrew
03-16-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by æmoeba•°·. View Post

Take care.

-Andrew
This live version I did hear the "love". It makes me think that it sounds like "law" though, also. This does sound particularly good too when sung aloud to ones self (love, that is). My problem with the thought of love/law is the lyricist. The whole song he speaks from a non-biased observer standpoint. A) this would be, I think, the first time in the song that Maynard speaks from "gods" perspective. B) Nard would actually be speaking from "gods" perspective. C) The thought of "his love" would be a huge implied metaphore that is never mentioned in this context. D) This song is specifically about petty squabbles over land, and indeed stating that all disputes over land are petty in comparison of reality, not about love, law, or even religion.

But I have to add one small point. Within myself I feel that some, to half, of the lyrics on this album were authored by Judith herself. Strange, I have no basis other than extreme dissection of the content of the words. I feel, at points, the lyrics are down right elementary. Not in an artistic, simplistic, exquisite way that maynard can sometimes do, just down right amateurish. Like it was all he could do to just make it flow.

Like the line in Jambi
"Wish this all a waaaayy"
When this line rolls by I can't help but think, "He's the only singer around that could pull that off and still be a badass mo-fo.

Right in Two, to me, sounds like it was written, in large part, by Judith.
along with Jambi and 10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2)

Peace.

Last edited by benjamin; 03-16-2007 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: :nosaeR
Old 03-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #817
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Take care.

-Andrew
This live version I did hear the "love". It makes me think that it sounds like "law" though, also. This does sound particularly good too when sung aloud to ones self (love, that is). My problem with the thought of love/law is the lyricist. The whole song he speaks from a non-biased observer standpoint. A) this would be, I think, the first time in the song that Maynard speaks from "gods" perspective. B) Nard would actually be speaking from "gods" perspective. C) The thought of "his love" would be a huge implied metaphore that is never mentioned in this context. D) This song is specifically about petty squabbles over land, and indeed stating that all disputes over land are petty in comparison of reality, not about love, law, or even religion.

But I have to add one small point. Within myself I feel that some, to half, of the lyrics on this album were authored by Judith herself. Strange, I have no basis other than extreme dissection of the content of the words. I feel, at points, the lyrics are down right elementary. Not in an artistic, simplistic, exquisite way that maynard can sometimes do, just down right amateurish. Like it was all he could do to just make it flow.

Like the line in Jambi
"Wish this all a waaaayy"
When this line rolls by I can't help but think, "He's the only singer around that could pull that off and still be a badass mo-fo.

Right in Two, to me, sounds like it was written, in large part, by Judith.
along with Jambi and 10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2)

Peace.

Last edited by benjamin; 03-16-2007 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: :nosaeR
03-16-2007, 08:26 PM

Alright, well, what if what you say is true, and Maynard is speaking from "God's" perspective. It would make sense if he did sing, "Cut my love right in two," because, throughout the song he's listing dispute and struggle around the world, and in the chorus, "Cut my love right in two," he's demanding, (or to say lightly, "suggesting"), for everyone to divide his love around, or "God's" love, or Maynard's perspective within "God's" love. Ponder on that.

He could also be instructing to pick one or the other, (Still on the "God's Perspective", or observation from a " Take one step backward " metaphorical concept).

-Andrew

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 03-16-2007 at 08:37 PM..
Old 03-16-2007, 08:26 PM   #818
Level 7 - Loquacious

Alright, well, what if what you say is true, and Maynard is speaking from "God's" perspective. It would make sense if he did sing, "Cut my love right in two," because, throughout the song he's listing dispute and struggle around the world, and in the chorus, "Cut my love right in two," he's demanding, (or to say lightly, "suggesting"), for everyone to divide his love around, or "God's" love, or Maynard's perspective within "God's" love. Ponder on that.

He could also be instructing to pick one or the other, (Still on the "God's Perspective", or observation from a " Take one step backward " metaphorical concept).

-Andrew

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 03-16-2007 at 08:37 PM..
03-17-2007, 06:40 AM

You know, that's what I thought he was saying at first, Cutting my love right in two." But then after hearing it a bunch of times, I started hearing, "Cutting my law right in two" and not even every time that line is said. It's not bothering me as much as it used to, but I wish the official lyrics would come out already!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:40 AM   #819

You know, that's what I thought he was saying at first, Cutting my love right in two." But then after hearing it a bunch of times, I started hearing, "Cutting my law right in two" and not even every time that line is said. It's not bothering me as much as it used to, but I wish the official lyrics would come out already!
03-17-2007, 06:54 AM

I really don't think it's "Cutting" though, but again, I'm in no position to say beacause both of us could be right at the moment. They're playing this for the 2007 tour now, and I would think, after Danny heals, they're still going to be adding it to the set list, so the best thing to do is wait for HungtonSt, or us, to capture some concerts and study them well enough.

The reason it's so hard to hear is because he's using a sweeping-delay effect, and it's adding on to the words after so it overlaps like this, (using my idea):

"1...Cut my love right in two..."
"delay.Cut my love right in two..."

That's how it sounds, and it's too confusing because Maynard is decresendo'ing at certain parts, and this lets the delay fill the lyrics a bit, scrambling up what's noticeable to our ears.

(Watch me be completely wrong)

Anyway, take care.

-Andrew

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 03-17-2007 at 09:57 AM..
Old 03-17-2007, 06:54 AM   #820
Level 7 - Loquacious

I really don't think it's "Cutting" though, but again, I'm in no position to say beacause both of us could be right at the moment. They're playing this for the 2007 tour now, and I would think, after Danny heals, they're still going to be adding it to the set list, so the best thing to do is wait for HungtonSt, or us, to capture some concerts and study them well enough.

The reason it's so hard to hear is because he's using a sweeping-delay effect, and it's adding on to the words after so it overlaps like this, (using my idea):

"1...Cut my love right in two..."
"delay.Cut my love right in two..."

That's how it sounds, and it's too confusing because Maynard is decresendo'ing at certain parts, and this lets the delay fill the lyrics a bit, scrambling up what's noticeable to our ears.

(Watch me be completely wrong)

Anyway, take care.

-Andrew

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 03-17-2007 at 09:57 AM..
03-18-2007, 05:55 AM

That's an interesting idea. It could explain why it sounds so weird. But it's "love" that I'm not hearing anymore. Sometimes I hear "law" or "it all" in its place.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:55 AM   #821

That's an interesting idea. It could explain why it sounds so weird. But it's "love" that I'm not hearing anymore. Sometimes I hear "law" or "it all" in its place.
03-18-2007, 12:50 PM

Well, that's why I kept "Law" open to ponder on as well. I have, and still do have an urge to sing "Law" along with Maynard, but you remember, the delay come straight after, so it sounds like and "aw" sound, but then balances out. It's almost like:

"..Lloove.."
"....Lloove.."

Holding the "L" in 'love' overlaps the delayed word, but you then hear Maynard decresendo, and the delay decresendo's late, overlapping the "ve", thus making it hard to hear because of him lowering the volume of his voice. I'm sorry if that's confusing, but there is delay, or actually more of a combination of post delay reverb effect filling in, because you can clearly hear throughout the live version, and one the recorded version.

Take care.

-Andrew

P.S.- As an example, picture maynard doing this, so you better understand how he sings it:

"..Cuuut my lloove.."
"......uuuut....yyy...oo......"

You wouldn't hear the delayed "ve" because it's too quiet. The reason the first letters aren't there is because of the way the delay comes in. It sweeps, so it automatically swells to whatever lever of intensity it is set at.

(Again though, I'm probably overanalyzing, but it's always a possibility.)

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 03-18-2007 at 06:14 PM..
Old 03-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #822
Level 7 - Loquacious

Well, that's why I kept "Law" open to ponder on as well. I have, and still do have an urge to sing "Law" along with Maynard, but you remember, the delay come straight after, so it sounds like and "aw" sound, but then balances out. It's almost like:

"..Lloove.."
"....Lloove.."

Holding the "L" in 'love' overlaps the delayed word, but you then hear Maynard decresendo, and the delay decresendo's late, overlapping the "ve", thus making it hard to hear because of him lowering the volume of his voice. I'm sorry if that's confusing, but there is delay, or actually more of a combination of post delay reverb effect filling in, because you can clearly hear throughout the live version, and one the recorded version.

Take care.

-Andrew

P.S.- As an example, picture maynard doing this, so you better understand how he sings it:

"..Cuuut my lloove.."
"......uuuut....yyy...oo......"

You wouldn't hear the delayed "ve" because it's too quiet. The reason the first letters aren't there is because of the way the delay comes in. It sweeps, so it automatically swells to whatever lever of intensity it is set at.

(Again though, I'm probably overanalyzing, but it's always a possibility.)

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 03-18-2007 at 06:14 PM..
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
03-19-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Take care.

-Andrew
I've been saying this since day one
Old 03-19-2007, 09:23 AM   #823
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:

Take care.

-Andrew
I've been saying this since day one
03-19-2007, 09:52 AM

This weekend I was listening to the son and came to the conclusion that the line in question is or at least SOUNDS more like "Cutting our idol right in two" than anything else and the grammar isn't a fabrication (for the most part).

I was going to fix my typo where I meant to write "song" and instead typed "son".
It actually makes sense, though.

To elaborate on the IDOL-thing... Even though it definitely sounds that way, does it actually make sense?

I believe it does, even though it sort of brings an extra dimension to the meaning.

I'm quite convinced that I've decifered the line.

Last edited by tryptosaur; 03-19-2007 at 10:04 AM..
Old 03-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #824
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

This weekend I was listening to the son and came to the conclusion that the line in question is or at least SOUNDS more like "Cutting our idol right in two" than anything else and the grammar isn't a fabrication (for the most part).

I was going to fix my typo where I meant to write "song" and instead typed "son".
It actually makes sense, though.

To elaborate on the IDOL-thing... Even though it definitely sounds that way, does it actually make sense?

I believe it does, even though it sort of brings an extra dimension to the meaning.

I'm quite convinced that I've decifered the line.

Last edited by tryptosaur; 03-19-2007 at 10:04 AM..
Intertwined's Avatar Intertwined
03-19-2007, 10:39 AM

I don't think we can be too sure of what he says until the official lyrics are posted, it's a good guess though, I'm sticking with cutting our love right in two or cut my love right in two, just seems most sensical in my opinion.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #825

Bincount™: 26

I don't think we can be too sure of what he says until the official lyrics are posted, it's a good guess though, I'm sticking with cutting our love right in two or cut my love right in two, just seems most sensical in my opinion.
03-19-2007, 12:02 PM

The reason I lean towards "our idol" is that you don't have to picture MJK altering the pronunciation of anything.

Who knew this song was really about Clay Aiken? :0~(fat Japanese guy with his mouth wide open and laughing---wearing a goatee that has an elegant wave to it) In blackface
Old 03-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #826

The reason I lean towards "our idol" is that you don't have to picture MJK altering the pronunciation of anything.

Who knew this song was really about Clay Aiken? :0~(fat Japanese guy with his mouth wide open and laughing---wearing a goatee that has an elegant wave to it) In blackface
tryptosaur
03-19-2007, 12:26 PM

laying on his right side
(:O~3 and a set of tits and only half of him is there. Could have been a Buddha statue---or IDOL! Now DO YOU SEE?
There are so many ways to prove my exegesis. Exe-WHAT?
JESUS! Now do you see?
Exactly my point. Take a Buddha, take a Jesus-statue, statuette, whatever you can find. Now cut it in half and either way what you've got is essentially the same thing---half an IDOL. Physics does not discriminate.
Now here's the weird part: You know when you cut a worm in half, you create an extra worm in the process? Cutting an idol in two pieces is the same thing.
If cut along the abdomen, both the top and the bottom half of the object retain their RIGHT sides. Hence "Right in Two".
And, of course the word "Righteousness" has for its root the word "Right". That's right!
Just imagine the wars that would be fought over who had the right half. Is the top somehow right and the bottom wrong?
Silly monkeys.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #827

laying on his right side
(:O~3 and a set of tits and only half of him is there. Could have been a Buddha statue---or IDOL! Now DO YOU SEE?
There are so many ways to prove my exegesis. Exe-WHAT?
JESUS! Now do you see?
Exactly my point. Take a Buddha, take a Jesus-statue, statuette, whatever you can find. Now cut it in half and either way what you've got is essentially the same thing---half an IDOL. Physics does not discriminate.
Now here's the weird part: You know when you cut a worm in half, you create an extra worm in the process? Cutting an idol in two pieces is the same thing.
If cut along the abdomen, both the top and the bottom half of the object retain their RIGHT sides. Hence "Right in Two".
And, of course the word "Righteousness" has for its root the word "Right". That's right!
Just imagine the wars that would be fought over who had the right half. Is the top somehow right and the bottom wrong?
Silly monkeys.
RedMetalSox's Avatar RedMetalSox
03-19-2007, 03:41 PM

"kye lie all" is all i ever hear.

not that it means anything
Old 03-19-2007, 03:41 PM   #828
King of Anal

Bincount™: 3492

"kye lie all" is all i ever hear.

not that it means anything
sicbanana's Avatar sicbanana
03-27-2007, 03:32 AM

ehm,

"cutting LIGHT right in two"?

anybody?
(dunno if it was mentioned before, so plz forgive my laziness :) )
Old 03-27-2007, 03:32 AM   #829

Bincount™: 3

ehm,

anybody?
03-27-2007, 03:05 PM

It seems to me that the first lyrics in the song are .....

Angels on the sideline
Puzzled unamused.....

Not 'and amused', but 'unamused'. It seems to fit with what these angels do the rest of the song. like being baffled, puzzled, confused... why amused also... seems unamused is the thing they would be....

first post... so leave me alone!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #830
Level 1 - Lurker

Angels on the sideline
Puzzled unamused.....

Not 'and amused', but 'unamused'. It seems to fit with what these angels do the rest of the song. like being baffled, puzzled, confused... why amused also... seems unamused is the thing they would be....

03-27-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicbanana View Post
ehm,

anybody?
I'm now about 80% certian he's saying "Cut my love right in two". I figure out the way he's saying it. There is no delay on the album as I had suggested, (just live). He sings it very abrupt, that's why it's hard to hear. He moves from the 't' in "cut" to "my" rather abruptly. He fades the 'y', from "my", into "love". He fades the 'o', in "love", out, (while singing 've' at piano volume after fade), pauses, and returns with "right in two". This is what I hear, and it's very logical.

You guys may also be listening to it a bit loud as well. I can hear it much better when you turn it down because the lyrics, then, stand out over the guitar/bass/precussion.

-Andrew

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 03-27-2007 at 08:43 PM..
Old 03-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #831
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicbanana View Post
ehm,

anybody?
I'm now about 80% certian he's saying "Cut my love right in two". I figure out the way he's saying it. There is no delay on the album as I had suggested, (just live). He sings it very abrupt, that's why it's hard to hear. He moves from the 't' in "cut" to "my" rather abruptly. He fades the 'y', from "my", into "love". He fades the 'o', in "love", out, (while singing 've' at piano volume after fade), pauses, and returns with "right in two". This is what I hear, and it's very logical.

You guys may also be listening to it a bit loud as well. I can hear it much better when you turn it down because the lyrics, then, stand out over the guitar/bass/precussion.

-Andrew

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 03-27-2007 at 08:43 PM..
bassmaster's Avatar bassmaster
03-29-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scampkidwell View Post

Angels on the sideline
Puzzled unamused.....

I think it's "puzzled and amused", for the perspective of the angels would be to look at the monkeys with their small errors much in the way adults look at children and their small mistakes - with loveable amusement coupled with a little puzzlement as to how they reached such an odd conclusion.

Then they're "baffled and confused" because not only are the monkeys misguided, they're also killing each other and they can't figure out why. That's how I see it anyway.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #832
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:

Angels on the sideline
Puzzled unamused.....

I think it's "puzzled and amused", for the perspective of the angels would be to look at the monkeys with their small errors much in the way adults look at children and their small mistakes - with loveable amusement coupled with a little puzzlement as to how they reached such an odd conclusion.

Then they're "baffled and confused" because not only are the monkeys misguided, they're also killing each other and they can't figure out why. That's how I see it anyway.
FriendlyAlien
03-30-2007, 02:17 PM

Cut 'em (it?) like a log, right in two......

no question about it!!!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #833
Level 2 - Poster

Cut 'em (it?) like a log, right in two......

no question about it!!!!!
Esurient4Truth's Avatar Esurient4Truth
03-30-2007, 02:28 PM

cut it right in all right in two

omg I hate arguing this - it fits - if you have ipod, download the song from the CD in highest mp3 quality, and use the treble booster equalizer setting

you can clearly fucking hear it.

o m g
Old 03-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #834
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282

cut it right in all right in two

omg I hate arguing this - it fits - if you have ipod, download the song from the CD in highest mp3 quality, and use the treble booster equalizer setting

you can clearly fucking hear it.

o m g
04-01-2007, 09:41 AM

Try and say these words without laughing: noodle, cookies, naan.

jevons +1
Old 04-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #835
Banned.

Bincount™: 779

jevons +1
Esurient4Truth's Avatar Esurient4Truth
04-09-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevons View Post

jevons +1
I laughed. Damn.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #836
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevons View Post

jevons +1
I laughed. Damn.
04-09-2007, 10:31 AM

Cut (and divide ??) it all right in two...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ07 View Post
Ok, here's the updated lyrics of what we've all contribued: (4/19 at 4:45 pm EST)

Things in [...] are disputed and could be what the lyrics are.

TOOL – Right in Two
10,000 Days

Angels on the sideline,
Puzzled and amused.
Why did Father give these humans free will?
Now they’re all confused.”

Don’t these talking monkeys know that Eden has enough to go around?
Plenty in this holy garden, silly monkeys
Where there's one you're bound to divide it
Right in Two

Angels on the sideline,
Baffled and confused.
Father blessed them all with reason,
And this is what they choose?

Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs they forge a blade
And where there's one they're bound to divide it
Right in two.
Right in two.

Silly monkeys give them thumbs they make a club,
And beat their brother down.
How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Cut it all right in two [Guide on right in two or Glide on right in two]
Cut it all right in two
Cut it all right in two
Cut it all right in two

Fight all the time,
Over the blade, over sky
Fight over, lie over, blew over,
?????? of a winner ????????
Fight for me, die for me, live for our lies.

Angels on the sideline again,
Been so long [Been too long or Bent along] with patience and reason.
Wondering where this tug of war will end.

Cut it all right in two. [Guide on right in two or Glide on right in two]
Cut it all right in two.
Cut it all right in two.
Right in two.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #837
Level 1 - Lurker

Cut (and divide ??) it all right in two...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ07 View Post
Ok, here's the updated lyrics of what we've all contribued: (4/19 at 4:45 pm EST)

Things in [...] are disputed and could be what the lyrics are.

TOOL – Right in Two
10,000 Days

Angels on the sideline,
Puzzled and amused.
Why did Father give these humans free will?
Now they’re all confused.”

Don’t these talking monkeys know that Eden has enough to go around?
Plenty in this holy garden, silly monkeys
Where there's one you're bound to divide it
Right in Two

Angels on the sideline,
Baffled and confused.
Father blessed them all with reason,
And this is what they choose?

Silly monkeys give them thumbs they forge a blade
And where there's one they're bound to divide it
Right in two.
Right in two.

Silly monkeys give them thumbs they make a club,
And beat their brother down.
How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Cut it all right in two [Guide on right in two or Glide on right in two]
Cut it all right in two
Cut it all right in two
Cut it all right in two

Fight all the time,
Over the blade, over sky
Fight over, lie over, blew over,
?????? of a winner ????????
Fight for me, die for me, live for our lies.

Been so long [Been too long or Bent along] with patience and reason.
Wondering where this tug of war will end.

Cut it all right in two. [Guide on right in two or Glide on right in two]
Cut it all right in two.
Cut it all right in two.
Right in two.
wickedwatson
04-09-2007, 10:32 AM

Indeed.
Quote:

Angels on the sideline
Puzzled unamused.....

Old 04-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #838
Level 1 - Lurker

Indeed.
Quote:

Angels on the sideline
Puzzled unamused.....

Cheesegreater
04-09-2007, 02:43 PM

"Lift an eye" not "Live tonight in"
Old 04-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #839
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26

"Lift an eye" not "Live tonight in"
Arkham Asylum's Avatar Arkham Asylum
04-09-2007, 03:34 PM

To me it sounds like Maynard is singing in a way to make it sound like he is weeping, thus causing the "slurring" we all hear during the chorus.

It's a passionate call for help, one last chance at waking humanity. Hope that helps, doubt it will though.

DTA = don't trust anyone
Old 04-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #840
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 47

To me it sounds like Maynard is singing in a way to make it sound like he is weeping, thus causing the "slurring" we all hear during the chorus.

It's a passionate call for help, one last chance at waking humanity. Hope that helps, doubt it will though.

DTA = don't trust anyone

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply