Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
Hush in Wonderland
07-09-2006, 10:06 PM

i think its:

"cut it, divide it all right in two"

if u listen really closely, u can hear Maynard saying "divide", and it makes sense doesnt it? it fits in with the "they're bound to divide it right in two" bit. lemme know what u think...
Old 07-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #441
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 10 - Right In Two lyrics

i think its:

"cut it, divide it all right in two"

if u listen really closely, u can hear Maynard saying "divide", and it makes sense doesnt it? it fits in with the "they're bound to divide it right in two" bit. lemme know what u think...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
wearethestories's Avatar wearethestories
07-10-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
Have you been to a King Crimson concert? Have you noticed what's different about the layout of the band that's different than that of most rock bands? Robert Fripp is off to the side, dressed in black, with no lights, completely swathed in darkness . . . Like father, like son . . .
lol.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 07-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #442
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Have you been to a King Crimson concert? Have you noticed what's different about the layout of the band that's different than that of most rock bands? Robert Fripp is off to the side, dressed in black, with no lights, completely swathed in darkness . . . Like father, like son . . .
lol.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
07-10-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Interesting yet, irrelevent to my point. My question is now, Can you quiet yourself where you couldn't before?
Old 07-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #443
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Quote:

Interesting yet, irrelevent to my point. My question is now, Can you quiet yourself where you couldn't before?
07-10-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus11
Have you been to a TOOL concert? Have you noticed what's different about the layout of the band that's different than that of most rock bands? Maynard is off to the side...one of the many things I admire about TOOL is that they are truly a BAND. And yes, maynard considers his voice and lyrics as an equal portion of the whole. That's very uncommon. I think part of why maynard does so few interviews and public appearances is because of his desire to remain the UN-frontman. He doesnt fit ANY of the molds we've been fed.
But yea, as soon as I have the time and equipment, I'll upload dissected tool to some place that I can share them....
You could make an argument that TOOL is the most important and influential rock band of our time. And what do they do? Stay in the shadows. Maynard is exactly what you say...the "UN-frontman". How many frontmen of such magnitude have ever done this? It's not an act, it's for the music. THEY CARE. They care about the art. And they DON'T CARE, about the ramifications of not being on magazine covers. Their attention to the art and not the individual seperates them from anyone in their genre. You'd be hard pressed to find a frontman who is as enigmatic as Maynard. A rarity my friends.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #444
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Quote:
Have you been to a TOOL concert? Have you noticed what's different about the layout of the band that's different than that of most rock bands? Maynard is off to the side...one of the many things I admire about TOOL is that they are truly a BAND. And yes, maynard considers his voice and lyrics as an equal portion of the whole. That's very uncommon. I think part of why maynard does so few interviews and public appearances is because of his desire to remain the UN-frontman. He doesnt fit ANY of the molds we've been fed.
But yea, as soon as I have the time and equipment, I'll upload dissected tool to some place that I can share them....
You could make an argument that TOOL is the most important and influential rock band of our time. And what do they do? Stay in the shadows. Maynard is exactly what you say...the "UN-frontman". How many frontmen of such magnitude have ever done this? It's not an act, it's for the music. THEY CARE. They care about the art. And they DON'T CARE, about the ramifications of not being on magazine covers. Their attention to the art and not the individual seperates them from anyone in their genre. You'd be hard pressed to find a frontman who is as enigmatic as Maynard. A rarity my friends.
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
07-10-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not ripping you; your post just reminded me of King Crimson, much the same way that Tool reminds me of King Crimson (not carbon copies, yet variations on a theme). I think your point waas friigin' excellent, and I was just elaborating. The most profound musical acts of our time (and probably of any time) are the ones that realize they are greater than the sum of their parts.
But I'll pull through
Old 07-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #445
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

Quote:
I'm not ripping you; your post just reminded me of King Crimson, much the same way that Tool reminds me of King Crimson (not carbon copies, yet variations on a theme). I think your point waas friigin' excellent, and I was just elaborating. The most profound musical acts of our time (and probably of any time) are the ones that realize they are greater than the sum of their parts.
But I'll pull through
07-10-2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46

You would get no argument from me. Prior to my days with TOOL, I thought PinkFloyd was the most powerful and intelligent band ever. To me, TOOL has surpassed even them...And as far as my musical exposure, PinkFloyd is really the only band that comes close to TOOL....close relative to anything else I've listened to.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #446
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46

You would get no argument from me. Prior to my days with TOOL, I thought PinkFloyd was the most powerful and intelligent band ever. To me, TOOL has surpassed even them...And as far as my musical exposure, PinkFloyd is really the only band that comes close to TOOL....close relative to anything else I've listened to.
07-10-2006, 10:57 PM

Quote:

Oh...sorry, it seems we've both misunderstood each other....I get misread ALL the time. I've gone and reread your post and realize it could be read differently...anyway, I had to go back and read the name of this thread to remember what we were supposed to be talking about....Right in Two.

Since you brought up profound, the first statement of this song that really grabbed me:
"Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability
To lift and eye to heaven conscious, of his fleeting time here."

These lines really hit home with me...and I think maybe this is one of the statemens that spawned threads like: "Maynard the Catholic" that I've seen here at TOOLnavy. (As preposterous as that sounds, someone actually made a thread of that). Anyway, my point about these lines is this: While this may lead some to believe that there are religious aspects to this disk, I disagree. The word religion to me says "the institution of religion" or the sects, like catholic, baptist, etc. In my interpretation of this CD, there is no 'catholic' no 'baptist' no methodist, no buddist' statements. There are only statements that would lead us to believe that Maynard and the band (as I have always believed) have accepted the existence of some higher power. And that too is where I draw the line. But man's secularism is not going to influence my thinking. How am I, being just a man, to decide which religion is right and which of ALL the rest will go to hell? I think there is too much personal agenda in the institutions, and I think Maynard feels the same. I think that there is wisdom to be gathered from all these reiligous texts, but rituals? In any case, I think all these "religious statements, just demonstrate a belief in a higher power: And its this belief and faith in higher power, that Maynard witnessed in his mother. This is getting kinda long so I'll stop here....
Old 07-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #447
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Oh...sorry, it seems we've both misunderstood each other....I get misread ALL the time. I've gone and reread your post and realize it could be read differently...anyway, I had to go back and read the name of this thread to remember what we were supposed to be talking about....Right in Two.

Since you brought up profound, the first statement of this song that really grabbed me:
"Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability
To lift and eye to heaven conscious, of his fleeting time here."

These lines really hit home with me...and I think maybe this is one of the statemens that spawned threads like: "Maynard the Catholic" that I've seen here at TOOLnavy. (As preposterous as that sounds, someone actually made a thread of that). Anyway, my point about these lines is this: While this may lead some to believe that there are religious aspects to this disk, I disagree. The word religion to me says "the institution of religion" or the sects, like catholic, baptist, etc. In my interpretation of this CD, there is no 'catholic' no 'baptist' no methodist, no buddist' statements. There are only statements that would lead us to believe that Maynard and the band (as I have always believed) have accepted the existence of some higher power. And that too is where I draw the line. But man's secularism is not going to influence my thinking. How am I, being just a man, to decide which religion is right and which of ALL the rest will go to hell? I think there is too much personal agenda in the institutions, and I think Maynard feels the same. I think that there is wisdom to be gathered from all these reiligous texts, but rituals? In any case, I think all these "religious statements, just demonstrate a belief in a higher power: And its this belief and faith in higher power, that Maynard witnessed in his mother. This is getting kinda long so I'll stop here....
07-12-2006, 10:49 AM

Seriously he says

"Gotta divide it all right in two"

^ truth
Old 07-12-2006, 10:49 AM   #448
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Seriously he says

"Gotta divide it all right in two"

^ truth
Ranger10000
07-12-2006, 11:46 PM

seriously, he dont
Old 07-12-2006, 11:46 PM   #449
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

seriously, he dont
ottercat13's Avatar ottercat13
07-13-2006, 05:07 AM

I hear it as "plenty in this holy garden, silly [old] monkeys".
Old 07-13-2006, 05:07 AM   #450
Level 1 - Lurker

Terry21's Avatar Terry21
07-13-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger10000
seriously, he dont
He does. What else should he sing? "God baby I love you cut my love in love right in love"?

Love?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:40 AM   #451
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

Quote:
seriously, he dont
He does. What else should he sing? "God baby I love you cut my love in love right in love"?

Love?
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
07-13-2006, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottercat13
That's because that's what it is. ;)
Old 07-13-2006, 07:37 AM   #452

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottercat13
That's because that's what it is. ;)
07-13-2006, 01:43 PM

cutting what-we-know right in two
cutting all-we-know right in two
Old 07-13-2006, 01:43 PM   #453
Level 1 - Lurker

Ranger10000
07-13-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21

Love?
No one said this has anything to do with a chick dude. I hear him sing love, and what i gather from that is he refering to cutting God's love in two. This is a spiritual song so that would make sense. Also apprently Terry21 hasnt read the arguement about it pertaining to love and the explanation so i'll post it here for ya.

====================
Well, I hear "Cutting my love right in two." First I'll explain my phoenetics. Where you hear "Cut and . . ." I hear "Cutting . . ." That comparison of our interpretations is so sonically similar that it's not even worth debating. However, where you hear "divide it all . . ." I hear "my love . . ." I really think that the enunciation of four syllables that you hear is attributable to the dissonent beats created by the combination of the mass of effects that are placed on Maynard's vocals and the rising volume of the guitars. It sounds to me like flangers of differing frequency are applied to both vocals and guitar at this point, and a stereo delay to the vocals; and the result is an obscured chorus (I believe that this affectation is intentional, and I will explain that in the following paragraphs). Bottom line, I really think that if Maynard were packing all of those syllables underneath that sonic distortion, the result would sound more jumbled than it already does.

Now, to answer your challenge to the meaning . . . Regardless of our diverse interpretations of this song, I think that we can all agree that Maynard uses Christian (and some would specify, Catholic) imagery to illustrate the story. Part of the dogma from which this imagery springs, is that all of the material elements that make up the "real world" are manifestations of God's love. So, if the line that has sparked this controversy is spoken from the perspective of the "father [who] blessed [us] all with reason," (as I believe it to be) then "My love" and "it all" would be congruous notions.

And now let us continue with the perspective from which this line is delivered. As I have stated before, it seems to me that Tool uses its mastery of sonic effects to create that mass of distortion which obscures the delivery of this line intentionally. The purpose of this lyrical obfuscation is to show that it is a lament of the voice of all creation- of the father; a voice that is omnipresent, yet difficult to understand for humans who have moved so far from the divinity extant within ourselves. By yielding to trends of division and distraction, we have deprived oursleves of "God's" message as we continue to be "bound to divide it right in two." This song is a reflection of the confusion experienced by the angels as they watch the humans who insist upon destroying the father's love rather than enjoying its plentiful gift; punctuated by the tears of the father.

"Cutting my love, right in two."
==============================
Old 07-13-2006, 02:05 PM   #454

Quote:

Love?
No one said this has anything to do with a chick dude. I hear him sing love, and what i gather from that is he refering to cutting God's love in two. This is a spiritual song so that would make sense. Also apprently Terry21 hasnt read the arguement about it pertaining to love and the explanation so i'll post it here for ya.

====================
Well, I hear "Cutting my love right in two." First I'll explain my phoenetics. Where you hear "Cut and . . ." I hear "Cutting . . ." That comparison of our interpretations is so sonically similar that it's not even worth debating. However, where you hear "divide it all . . ." I hear "my love . . ." I really think that the enunciation of four syllables that you hear is attributable to the dissonent beats created by the combination of the mass of effects that are placed on Maynard's vocals and the rising volume of the guitars. It sounds to me like flangers of differing frequency are applied to both vocals and guitar at this point, and a stereo delay to the vocals; and the result is an obscured chorus (I believe that this affectation is intentional, and I will explain that in the following paragraphs). Bottom line, I really think that if Maynard were packing all of those syllables underneath that sonic distortion, the result would sound more jumbled than it already does.

Now, to answer your challenge to the meaning . . . Regardless of our diverse interpretations of this song, I think that we can all agree that Maynard uses Christian (and some would specify, Catholic) imagery to illustrate the story. Part of the dogma from which this imagery springs, is that all of the material elements that make up the "real world" are manifestations of God's love. So, if the line that has sparked this controversy is spoken from the perspective of the "father [who] blessed [us] all with reason," (as I believe it to be) then "My love" and "it all" would be congruous notions.

And now let us continue with the perspective from which this line is delivered. As I have stated before, it seems to me that Tool uses its mastery of sonic effects to create that mass of distortion which obscures the delivery of this line intentionally. The purpose of this lyrical obfuscation is to show that it is a lament of the voice of all creation- of the father; a voice that is omnipresent, yet difficult to understand for humans who have moved so far from the divinity extant within ourselves. By yielding to trends of division and distraction, we have deprived oursleves of "God's" message as we continue to be "bound to divide it right in two." This song is a reflection of the confusion experienced by the angels as they watch the humans who insist upon destroying the father's love rather than enjoying its plentiful gift; punctuated by the tears of the father.

"Cutting my love, right in two."
==============================
07-13-2006, 09:00 PM

...I really don't think thats it....despite all of your reasoning...I can't think of maynard's ever using the "L" word....I think maybe that word comes in for some because they can't come up with anything else...
Old 07-13-2006, 09:00 PM   #455
Level 7 - Loquacious

...I really don't think thats it....despite all of your reasoning...I can't think of maynard's ever using the "L" word....I think maybe that word comes in for some because they can't come up with anything else...
07-13-2006, 11:03 PM

hmm ok... i understand yer reasoning... but understand this... i definently hear the "ove" sound at the end of that part... so you tell me what goes with it? Dove? above? shove? i cant think of anything that makes sense except for love, and i have taken that chorus apart with soundforge, and there definently is a "ove" in the chorus.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:03 PM   #456

hmm ok... i understand yer reasoning... but understand this... i definently hear the "ove" sound at the end of that part... so you tell me what goes with it? Dove? above? shove? i cant think of anything that makes sense except for love, and i have taken that chorus apart with soundforge, and there definently is a "ove" in the chorus.
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
07-14-2006, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Agreed. Definitely "love" sung in some parts of chorus. This is certainly a tough one to work out, and many suggestions seem quite reasonable, but I think the best fit is:

"Cuttin' all I love right in two"

i.e. He's seeing everything of value in the world being destroyed by the aggression and stupidity of humanity.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:26 AM   #457
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Agreed. Definitely "love" sung in some parts of chorus. This is certainly a tough one to work out, and many suggestions seem quite reasonable, but I think the best fit is:

"Cuttin' all I love right in two"

i.e. He's seeing everything of value in the world being destroyed by the aggression and stupidity of humanity.
07-14-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfiststinks
Cutting the bread right in two
HI I AM MAYNARD right in two
FIGHT IN BOO
Old 07-14-2006, 05:46 AM   #458
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfiststinks
FIGHT IN BOO
Ranger10000
07-14-2006, 05:53 AM

Quote:
FIGHT IN BOO

????
Old 07-14-2006, 05:53 AM   #459

Quote:
FIGHT IN BOO

????
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
07-14-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:
????
I'm still hearing CUUTTNDIVIDE it all right in two where he's singing that part "Cut and Divide" kind of fast as if it's all one word.

I'm not hearing "LOVE" at all, although I'm trying really hard with an open mind to hear it and other possibilities.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:32 AM   #460

Quote:
????
I'm still hearing CUUTTNDIVIDE it all right in two where he's singing that part "Cut and Divide" kind of fast as if it's all one word.

I'm not hearing "LOVE" at all, although I'm trying really hard with an open mind to hear it and other possibilities.
07-14-2006, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBurN

Exactly.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:37 AM   #461
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBurN

Exactly.
07-14-2006, 09:32 AM

what are you on Terry>?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #462
Level 7 - Loquacious

what are you on Terry>?
07-14-2006, 10:17 AM

I think it's "gotta divide it all right in two". It may also be something with cut, but divide is definately there IMO.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #463
Level 8 - Vociferous

I think it's "gotta divide it all right in two". It may also be something with cut, but divide is definately there IMO.
07-14-2006, 04:50 PM

that seems like too many syllables....I have considered "cut it right on, right in two" but then I think...that's not right....
Old 07-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #464
Level 7 - Loquacious

that seems like too many syllables....I have considered "cut it right on, right in two" but then I think...that's not right....
07-15-2006, 06:50 AM

Listen closely, there's definately a divide. People don't talk the "t"'s sometimes, so it's go-a divide i all right in two. :P
Old 07-15-2006, 06:50 AM   #465
Level 8 - Vociferous

Listen closely, there's definately a divide. People don't talk the "t"'s sometimes, so it's go-a divide i all right in two. :P
LetGoLetgoLetGo's Avatar LetGoLetgoLetGo
07-15-2006, 11:12 AM

Quote:

I hear something like "Cut it right alll right in two". But "Cut it right all" just sounds wrong.

When I go back and listen to it thinking "Cut my love right in two", it sounds pretty close, but like others, I have a hard time buying that one.

For those of you that have been in the Rosetta Stoned lyrics thread, I have posted my theory regarding MJK and different vocal channels. ie: Far left, Far right, Center. In Rosetta Stoned MJK clearly says 2 different things simultaneously that rhyme or sound similar. No none seems to be paying attention to this idea. Probably because they'd rather just fight over who is right and who is wrong. BUT, MY POINT HERE IS that maybe something similar is going on in this song.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #466
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

Quote:

I hear something like "Cut it right alll right in two". But "Cut it right all" just sounds wrong.

When I go back and listen to it thinking "Cut my love right in two", it sounds pretty close, but like others, I have a hard time buying that one.

For those of you that have been in the Rosetta Stoned lyrics thread, I have posted my theory regarding MJK and different vocal channels. ie: Far left, Far right, Center. In Rosetta Stoned MJK clearly says 2 different things simultaneously that rhyme or sound similar. No none seems to be paying attention to this idea. Probably because they'd rather just fight over who is right and who is wrong. BUT, MY POINT HERE IS that maybe something similar is going on in this song.
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
07-15-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
When I first heard this song, I thought it was "cut it right all, right in two" which can make sense since the word "right" is used that way sometimes albiet I don't think it's really proper grammar.

For instance: "get right down from there this instant!!" or "go right back to where you came from" and there are other instances when the word is used in that manner so that's why I thought "Cut it right all, right in two" was possible when I first heard it.

Since then however, I've been mostly sold on "CUTNDIVIDE it all right in two...but I can see where if he was singing "love" it would be more like the pronouciation of love with the long "o" sound so I'm entertaining that possibility, but like I said, I'm still pretty sold on the former.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:25 PM   #467

Quote:
When I first heard this song, I thought it was "cut it right all, right in two" which can make sense since the word "right" is used that way sometimes albiet I don't think it's really proper grammar.

For instance: "get right down from there this instant!!" or "go right back to where you came from" and there are other instances when the word is used in that manner so that's why I thought "Cut it right all, right in two" was possible when I first heard it.

Since then however, I've been mostly sold on "CUTNDIVIDE it all right in two...but I can see where if he was singing "love" it would be more like the pronouciation of love with the long "o" sound so I'm entertaining that possibility, but like I said, I'm still pretty sold on the former.
07-15-2006, 01:27 PM

The best tip I can give is to listen to the song.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:27 PM   #468
Level 8 - Vociferous

The best tip I can give is to listen to the song.
07-15-2006, 05:39 PM

If we take the time to consider the artwork in the cd, and the RosettaStone-LostKeys-Viginti Tres puzzle, we may come to realize that maybe there are some aspects of this CD that are multi-dimensional...I am confident that there are many revelations yet to be seen for this disk. The whole disk should be considered stereoscopic so-to-speak. I am currently about 500 miles away from home on a job, or else I'd be doing better research. I'm sure some of us will begin to start seeing the depths here sooner or later. Or maybe we'll all just have to wait until I get back home in a month. As of now, I cannot disect nor combine anything as all my sound prog's are on my home computer....I will keep toolnavy uptodate with anything I come up with when the time comes....
Old 07-15-2006, 05:39 PM   #469
Level 7 - Loquacious

If we take the time to consider the artwork in the cd, and the RosettaStone-LostKeys-Viginti Tres puzzle, we may come to realize that maybe there are some aspects of this CD that are multi-dimensional...I am confident that there are many revelations yet to be seen for this disk. The whole disk should be considered stereoscopic so-to-speak. I am currently about 500 miles away from home on a job, or else I'd be doing better research. I'm sure some of us will begin to start seeing the depths here sooner or later. Or maybe we'll all just have to wait until I get back home in a month. As of now, I cannot disect nor combine anything as all my sound prog's are on my home computer....I will keep toolnavy uptodate with anything I come up with when the time comes....
07-16-2006, 09:11 AM

This is what I could find out with Winamp and Center Cut plugin.. I could get the vocals very good, so here is it:

[They] fight ‘til they die, over earth, over sky
They fight over light (life), over blood (throne), over any life (light)
Over love, over some, over none
They fight ‘til they die, over one (all for what), for the (their) rising

Alternatives in brackets. Not sure about the very last part after the "die" because the guitar kicks in, but it's pretty close I think. In the 2nd line its either "life" or "light", (you're not hearing an "f" the second time) but I think first time is "light" and second is "life". And most propably it's "blood".

Last edited by NicParabola; 07-16-2006 at 09:16 AM..
Old 07-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #470
Level 3 - Talker

This is what I could find out with Winamp and Center Cut plugin.. I could get the vocals very good, so here is it:

[They] fight ‘til they die, over earth, over sky
They fight over light (life), over blood (throne), over any life (light)
Over love, over some, over none
They fight ‘til they die, over one (all for what), for the (their) rising

Alternatives in brackets. Not sure about the very last part after the "die" because the guitar kicks in, but it's pretty close I think. In the 2nd line its either "life" or "light", (you're not hearing an "f" the second time) but I think first time is "light" and second is "life". And most propably it's "blood".

Last edited by NicParabola; 07-16-2006 at 09:16 AM..
07-16-2006, 03:42 PM

yea, that's cool, but did you find anything in the chorus>? "_______ right in two"?
Old 07-16-2006, 03:42 PM   #471
Level 7 - Loquacious

yea, that's cool, but did you find anything in the chorus>? "_______ right in two"?
07-17-2006, 12:33 AM

"Gotta divide it all". :P
Old 07-17-2006, 12:33 AM   #472
Level 8 - Vociferous

"Gotta divide it all". :P
Ranger10000
07-17-2006, 06:08 AM

"Cut-All I love"

:)
Old 07-17-2006, 06:08 AM   #473

"Cut-All I love"

Terry21's Avatar Terry21
07-17-2006, 06:58 AM

"Hit me baby one more time"

Old 07-17-2006, 06:58 AM   #474
Level 8 - Vociferous

"Hit me baby one more time"

07-17-2006, 09:42 AM

...thats not right!!!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #475
Level 7 - Loquacious

...thats not right!!!
07-17-2006, 01:42 PM

yeah.... that's just not cool man, hmm just thought of something... why would maynard sing "Gotta divide it all in two" ? that sounds to me like he is promoting what he is against in the song. If you listen to the lyrics, he says, monkey killin, monkey over pieces, and Where there's one they will divide it right in two.... ok now what i get from this song is that from everything that came about from eating of the apple in the Garden of eden, came selfishness, non-caring, and violence, plus much much more, nothing positive by the way, so it would make more sense to sing "Cut- all i love right in two".... this kinda goes with the thought pattern i have developed for the song. Meaning he is singing the chorus from God's perspective. Why would he sing "Gotta divide it all" when he in fact is upset with the turn out with the garden of eden. Back in those days, there never used to be any dividing of anything, there was always plenty to go around for everyone, cause no one knew property. No one knew "this is mine, go get your own", so why would he promote, "gotta divide it all?? "

Last edited by Ranger10000; 07-17-2006 at 01:46 PM..
Old 07-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #476

yeah.... that's just not cool man, hmm just thought of something... why would maynard sing "Gotta divide it all in two" ? that sounds to me like he is promoting what he is against in the song. If you listen to the lyrics, he says, monkey killin, monkey over pieces, and Where there's one they will divide it right in two.... ok now what i get from this song is that from everything that came about from eating of the apple in the Garden of eden, came selfishness, non-caring, and violence, plus much much more, nothing positive by the way, so it would make more sense to sing "Cut- all i love right in two".... this kinda goes with the thought pattern i have developed for the song. Meaning he is singing the chorus from God's perspective. Why would he sing "Gotta divide it all" when he in fact is upset with the turn out with the garden of eden. Back in those days, there never used to be any dividing of anything, there was always plenty to go around for everyone, cause no one knew property. No one knew "this is mine, go get your own", so why would he promote, "gotta divide it all?? "

Last edited by Ranger10000; 07-17-2006 at 01:46 PM..
07-17-2006, 02:38 PM

good point....I think he's on to something...
Old 07-17-2006, 02:38 PM   #477
Level 7 - Loquacious

good point....I think he's on to something...
07-18-2006, 04:54 AM

Quote:
yeah.... that's just not cool man, hmm just thought of something... why would maynard sing "Gotta divide it all in two" ? that sounds to me like he is promoting what he is against in the song ... so it would make more sense to sing "Cut- all i love right in two".... so why would he promote, "gotta divide it all?? "
Firstly, I agree with Ranger here, though I think it needs to be "CUTTIN' all I love..." to fit what I'm hearing.

Secondly, and to anticipate Terry's likely response here, "Gotta divide it..." could still make sense as without an initial pronoun this could mean either:
i) "I'VE gotta divide it..." which would be subject to Ranger's objection, or...
ii) "THEY'VE gotta divide it..." which would not.

Thirdly, I've tried to hear it as "Cut & divide..." but I can't hear either the first or second "d" for "divide".
Old 07-18-2006, 04:54 AM   #478
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
yeah.... that's just not cool man, hmm just thought of something... why would maynard sing "Gotta divide it all in two" ? that sounds to me like he is promoting what he is against in the song ... so it would make more sense to sing "Cut- all i love right in two".... so why would he promote, "gotta divide it all?? "
Firstly, I agree with Ranger here, though I think it needs to be "CUTTIN' all I love..." to fit what I'm hearing.

Secondly, and to anticipate Terry's likely response here, "Gotta divide it..." could still make sense as without an initial pronoun this could mean either:
i) "I'VE gotta divide it..." which would be subject to Ranger's objection, or...
ii) "THEY'VE gotta divide it..." which would not.

Thirdly, I've tried to hear it as "Cut & divide..." but I can't hear either the first or second "d" for "divide".
07-18-2006, 06:40 AM

I heard it again today. And I'm seriously asking me where you all get that love from. And where you get the idea from that it's anything else than "divide it all".

@ Ranger: "Gotta divide it all right in two" means you have to share with people. It means the same as "you're bound to divide it right in two".
Old 07-18-2006, 06:40 AM   #479
Level 8 - Vociferous

I heard it again today. And I'm seriously asking me where you all get that love from. And where you get the idea from that it's anything else than "divide it all".

@ Ranger: "Gotta divide it all right in two" means you have to share with people. It means the same as "you're bound to divide it right in two".
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
07-18-2006, 07:43 AM

Ranger's point still holds: Why would the song lament at one point that us silly monkeys will DIVIDE anything in two given the opportunity ...

"Plenty in this holy garden, silly monkeys
Where there's one you're bound to DIVIDE it
Right in two"

... and then suggest that the solution is for us to DIVIDE even more and share!?!

And like I said, I can understand where you're hearing "divide" in the chorus (Ranger's "...all I..." = Terry's "...divi.."), but I can't hear any "d" sounds for divide.
If you want to know where/how I'm hearing "love" ...

"Gotta divide it *all right* in two" Vs "Cuttin' all I *love right* in two"

ALL - RIGHT = LU - VRIGHT

It's really not a stretch to hear this bit either way, but I don't hear "divide".

Last edited by spacemonkeyadb; 07-18-2006 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #480
Level 8 - Vociferous

Ranger's point still holds: Why would the song lament at one point that us silly monkeys will DIVIDE anything in two given the opportunity ...

"Plenty in this holy garden, silly monkeys
Where there's one you're bound to DIVIDE it
Right in two"

... and then suggest that the solution is for us to DIVIDE even more and share!?!

And like I said, I can understand where you're hearing "divide" in the chorus (Ranger's "...all I..." = Terry's "...divi.."), but I can't hear any "d" sounds for divide.
If you want to know where/how I'm hearing "love" ...

"Gotta divide it *all right* in two" Vs "Cuttin' all I *love right* in two"

ALL - RIGHT = LU - VRIGHT

It's really not a stretch to hear this bit either way, but I don't hear "divide".

Last edited by spacemonkeyadb; 07-18-2006 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: typo

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply