opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Jan-Feb 2007
User Name
Password
Old 01-17-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2007/02/02 - Adelaide, AUS - RA&HS Showgrounds

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Swamp Song
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/02/02 - Adelaide, AUS - RA&HS Showgrounds

Setlist:

Stinkfist [extended]
Swamp Song
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism [extended]
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænima

Overall, for me it was the worst Tool performance I had seen. I was lucky to see them the other night in Melbourne, otherwise I think I would have been hugely dissapointed. Swamp Song was probably the highlight for me, as well as Lateralus. Very dissapointed that didn't play The Pot, but not surprised due to Maynard's recent vocal problems. Rosetta is a kick ass song, but not well received by the crowd because they don't know it. A few mistakes also very noticeable tonight, and what was with Maynard not singing the majority of the 2nd half of Vicarious and the end of Aenema?!

The problem is that either people were just being idiots and had no respect for Maynard, or they didn't appreciate that the band were there to perform for them. Not the right atmosphere for a Tool show - I saw them in UK @ Download Festival with 70,000 people and that just rocked hard. I think that the general crowd in Adelaide apart from us Tool heads, do not give the right vibe and appreciation to the bands that come here. This is definately apparent, because we do not get the shows that Melbourne and Sydney do. This does not bother me in any way, because I will travel to see them and usually enjoy it better where bands are more appreciated. I feel sorry for those who can not afford this luxury.

Hopefully November / December will bring a more vibrant show and keep away those people who turn up for the sake of something to do, and the pretender Tool fans.
Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne 2001 - Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Adelaide 2002 - Download Festival, UK 2006 - London Hammersmith Apollo, UK 2006 - Sidney Myer Music Bowl, Melbourne 2007 - Big Day Out, Adelaide 2007
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 05:29 AM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Umm, can i get an amen!? Can i get a hallelujah!? Thank you Jesus...

This show was totally mad, i held back a bit at the start 'cause i wanted to see muse on the other stage and i wasn’t disappointed. but half way through their set my mind wandered to tool and i moved into a primo position. when they started all the girls started dropping of heat exhaustion. I almost fell over a few times with the violent crowd surges but eventually all the meat heads congregated in the same area and formed a circle dance pit where they beat the crap out of each other just in front of me. From then on there were still the dancers/jumpers and singers which I joined in with. Great fun. Too bad we didn’t get sober since that’s like my favorite song. Still, got heaps better understanding of the songs now after seeing the screens and the way they play them. It totally blew my mind, a very religious experience. Couldn’t really hear the mega phone bit of Rosetta stoned because everyone in the audience just mumbled what they thought the lyrics should be, still very cool though. Im not too disappointed that we missed out on the pot though, rosseta is a great swap. Again they said that they would be back in November or December, so will be good to see them at a proper show then. Cant think of anything else to say really other than it was the best show of the day for sure.

PS, if the girl who wanted to go on my shoulders is reading this, I’m sorry for being a bit rude, just thought it wasn’t appropriate.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

i agree, but i fit into that category of no money as im a student at the moment. also i did realise him stop singing some of vicarious and also a little of aenema but it wasnt really that much, im still very happy with how things went (my first tool show).

still, i wish they played sober! i was looking forward to that so much!
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Wicked performance. First time id seen them since they played adelaide entertainment centre in 2002. I was lucky enough to catch a drum skin of dannys when adam threw it out at the end of the show. i stuck it straight under my shirt and ran in fear of my life :) It has a pentagram on it with DCs signature in the middle and 666 in the top corner of the pentagram. Dated 2/2/07 EV and the number "1080" at the bottom of the pentagram. That made my day!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

Much like Monty82 above, I too have had the opportunity to see Tool around the world, this being my 12 show. ...And thus reiterate his comments.

Not bad. (Afterall, it's Tool). But could and should be so much better. This is why Tool should NOT play the BDO. The BDO is not 'fit' for a band of Tool's calibre.

If they had a private show at Thebby or at worst, Ent centre the same day of the BDO, i know where i would've been.
Thebarton Theater '97 - Rod Laver Arena '01 - Adelaide Ent Cnetre '02 - Barcelona RZZ Club '06 - Glasgow Academy '06 - London Hammersmith '06 (x2) - Munich Zenith '06 - London Wembley '06 - Nottingham England '06 - Melbourne Meyer Music Bowl '07 - Adelaide BDO '07
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Manback View Post
Much like Monty82 above, I too have had the opportunity to see Tool around the world, this being my 12 show. ...And thus reiterate his comments.

Not bad. (Afterall, it's Tool). But could and should be so much better. This is why Tool should NOT play the BDO. The BDO is not 'fit' for a band of Tool's calibre.

If they had a private show at Thebby or at worst, Ent centre the same day of the BDO, i know where i would've been.
Yep, theres more to a concert than the band on stage. The vibe the crowd gives off influences the band, Ive heard in countless interviews, musicians trying to describe how you can "feel" the energy fromt he crowd. At a tool-only gig, its a whole other experience.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 07:39 AM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Precisely.
Unfortunately, while not applicable to everyone, the BDO tends to attract a lot of idiots.
Thebarton Theater '97 - Rod Laver Arena '01 - Adelaide Ent Cnetre '02 - Barcelona RZZ Club '06 - Glasgow Academy '06 - London Hammersmith '06 (x2) - Munich Zenith '06 - London Wembley '06 - Nottingham England '06 - Melbourne Meyer Music Bowl '07 - Adelaide BDO '07
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 08:31 AM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
It is because lot of fans don't get it. To be said: it is not so cool to the 'good' fans.
Wow. McRoggles. I haven't seen you post for quite a while.

Since I have read a lot of your posts and therefore respect your opinion, can you please clarify the part above? The other parts I understood, but this is obviously the key and it didn't translate. Maybe I'm a dumbass. I am serious, though. If there is a genuine reason Maynard is doing this I would like to know what it is.

Appreciate it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushlord View Post
Maynard does not sing parts of some songs even in front of a hall filled with tool fans. He's just an ass with no respect.
See, that's what worries me too. That's why I want McRoggles to clarify a remark, 'cause I hope there is a better reason than you've stated. A guy who can write such unique and incredible lyrics, and then vocalise them the way he does on recorded material. Why would he be such a fuckhead during live shows?

Doesn't make sense to me.....
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuceman View Post
See, that's what worries me too. That's why I want McRoggles to clarify a remark, 'cause I hope there is a better reason than you've stated. A guy who can write such unique and incredible lyrics, and then vocalise them the way he does on recorded material. Why would he be such a fuckhead during live shows?

Doesn't make sense to me.....
Well, being at the sydney gig, i noticed the part of vicarious he didnt sing, but i noticed something else. When he didnt sing it, he simply pointed the mic at the crowd as everyone was shouting:

"Viiiiiiicariously I, Live while the whole world dies"

He then took over and sang:

"Much better you than I"

Personally, I think hes showing us how we are ALL hypocrites, and i stress WE, not YOU. We can bellow out with all our energy:

"Viiiiiiicariously I, Live while the whole world dies"

yet, i rekon ALL the people who did that wouldnt actually think twice about what they were saying, and what it meant. In other words, we wouldnt do anything about the fact that the majority of the world is living vicariously while the rest of the world dies. I think maynard is seeing that a lot of fans are really just becoming sheep flocking to see TOOL, just because, ITS TOOL!!!!

As he said at gigs on the lateralus tour, take this experience right now, and create something posititve. Is anyone doing that???

From an interview a while back:

Maynard: "Were doing the best we can, and were trying to send a message, but it just doesnt seem to be working".
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I think he is talking to the fans. To hear 20,000 people say "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies"

And maynard say "Much better you than I".

It is a conversation between him and the crowd. Just a theory that makes some sense.

A M E N ! ! !
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

So glad i flew to melbourne and saw tool, because if the BDO was the only chance i had to experience tool on this tour i would have been royally disapointed. People are right when they say tool should not play the BDO. What is it about people who cannot handle their booze, all day in the sun, and turn into fuckheads in time for the tool performance...? To every single one of you morons who surged forward, crushing people and just generally being inconsiderate drunken fuckheads i wish you all a painfully slow death. It took every ounce of self control for me to not start beating the shit out of people. I will never go to another BDO. BDO are the breeding ground for fucking morons who should be drowned at birth, and who do not deserve to see tool, let alone steal our valuable oxygen. In a state like that, how can you even contemplate what tool are about anyway...? All the drunk fuckheads around me singing the wrong lyrics to songs is only proof of that. People acuse maynard of going through the motions, not giving a fuck and just generally being a stuck up prick... if that is the case, after last night i can see why. Think for yourself, question authority. You fucking bunch of drunken sheep. There was a small percentage of people there to see tool who were not fucking morons, but no doubt like me spent the majority of tool's set just fighting to stay on my feet and defend my personal space. Luckily i am big enough to handle myself, and look after my girlfriend. If you were under 5 foot and weighed less than 80kg, I hope you made it out safe and in one peice, because drunk fuckheads don't give a shit about other people. Personally for me a tool show is just that... a tool show. A big outside all day drinking festival is not the atmosphere or the vibe that i think a tool show is all about, and all you drunken drugged fucked peices of shit can burn in hell for fucking it up for every tool fan that just wanted to see the band.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Unfortunately I am not going to post my opinion of the crowd here, because I am 100% certain that the morons I want to complain about would have no idea how to read, let alone get on the internet.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

FUCK METALHEADS!

I can understand people who want to mosh to some bands, but you can't mosh to a song that's in 7/8 or a time signature like that. So to the people who decided that instead of moshing, you wanted to throw yourselves around in an attempt to injure the people around you, I salute you, you managed to turn a decent performance into an extremely disappointing experience.

Besides Maynard leaving out the odd stretch of lyrics, as was already mentioned here (the 'lalala' in Vicarious, and the entire end of AEnema). The band performed pretty well, I thought. The only mistake I noticed from Adam was him being a tad late on one note in the solo to Jambi, but otherwise he seemed flawless all night, Justin didn't miss much either, and Danny seemed flawless. Although through most of the show I was too busy being pummeled in the head by a bunch of metalhead cunts, so I don't think I'd have noticed much.

Swamp song was fantastic, as was the extended Schism (I'd been lead to believe that the band were a bit sloppy on the double time bit in the bridge, but they did it perfectly). The closing three songs were great as well. The only lowlight for me was Rosetta Stoned, Maynard was far too quiet during that, and Adam played a solo in half time, when the song is already 13 minutes long, I don't see the point in extending it.

Overall not a bad performance, but the awful crowd ruined it.

Last edited by Arkhan; 02-02-2007 at 03:39 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show in my opinion....considering this was the first chance I've had to see Tool. A lot of small girls/boys need to learn that a moshpit is simply not a place for them. A lot of pushing at the start etc but if u kept ur head about you it was easy to take in the experience of the visuals and audio.

Maynards vocals did seem a little low..not sure what it sounded like at the back. Justin,Adam and Danny all sounded fantastic.
The band had a real genuine embrace at the end which was great to see. If only i'd known earlier that the day before they had dinner at Penfolds Winery in Magill with Muse....
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

well, i was in that crowd, sure it sucked some life out of the show. but some of the complaints that you use seem to partly directed at me. i may not be as smart as you guys or understand them musically but i like to think i have some grasp of the message they put out. so if i ruined the show for anyone by perhaps singing wrong lyrics or whatnot, then im deeply sorry...

also i now realise the next morning that im quite disappointed that we missed out on a whole song to the other states. in auckland they got the same set except for we got swamp instead of the pot, but they also got sober which we just completly lost?

anyway, i cant wait for the end of the year to see them again, i will scrounge up enough money for good tickets. i just hope they do come in december rather than november due to uni exams. also i will try and study up on their music, i feel like such a retard for not noticing the change in schism!

Last edited by Nnep; 02-02-2007 at 05:58 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Last night I was going to be the first to post but since I couldn't remember the setlist, held off 'till morning :)

I thought the show was as good as could be expected from a BDO and all that goes with it. Just before 7:30 I went with some friends to roughly directly in front of stage and behind the first barrier. Things were going well and then the meatheads started packing it in closer to 8:30. The band had a huge gold coloured metal hand which was set up east of stage and above a seating area which wasn't as elevated as others but was high enough. As Muse were closing their set on the orange stage right next door the flames started coming out of the fingers on it which thrilled the crowd quite a bit. Muse didn't do much for me, John Butler Trio were easily (very distant) 2nd to Tool, and, as for 3rd, probably Jet (The Killers were gay!). There were lots of Tool t-shirts around me but I wasn't sure if that was going to be a good thing or not - you don't need to sport a T to let us all know that you are a fan :) I think I've got 5 or so T's but left them at home.

When they kicked off with Stinkfist as expected things were going pretty well and I was happy with my position. As Swamp Song came on it was good to see everyone around me singing - and tastefully just the "belligerent fucker" bit which I was maybe screaming a bit loudly. The morons who were yelling "lets hear some metal...yeah!" just before the band went on stage had no idea about song lyrics or the music either, maybe no idea about a lot of things - just possibly. By the end of 46&2 all the meatheads kept on pushing a bit too much for my likings so I went on a mission to find a good spot.

It was very disappointing to see the complete lack of respect of the crowd on the outer main area as they were talking way too much - if they don't want to pay attention and listen then should either go home or further away (or not come at all) so that a fan can get enjoy what they paid to see. After moving 4 or 5 times throughout the show I am glad to say that I had a great spot where I could see the stage nicely and had good people around me who knew the songs and just wanted to have some fun. I was in that spot for the last 3 songs which were awesome and we danced and grooved. Maynard didn't sing some of Vicarious but I didn't expect him to not sing the end of Ænema. The vibe of a festival crowd won't ever be the same as a Tool only private show crowd but there was plenty of room for improvement and to me it felt like he wasn't in it 100%. I am sure he could see and hear the poor crowd behaviour.

We didn't get The Pot or Sober, some wanted Opiate but as I have heard the latter 2 live, I was keen for The Pot - I don't think he was quite up to it on the night though. Rosetta Stoned is what we got and it was good. Most people couldn't handle it too well by about the 10 minute mark but everyone paid full attention to Lateralus which came straight after...without question one of my favourite 3 songs of all time. It was awesome, I missed Danny's gong as I was moving to the music and mentally drifted away with it!

My favourite songs of the evening were Jambi, Lateralus, and Ænema. Swamp Song was a good second song on the list and Vicarious was played very tight. Maynard only spoke once just before Ænema and I believe he was taking the piss out of the crowd by speaking a bit slowly - to suggest we are slack jawed yokel meatheads. Well, that was a reasonable percentage but not that high. By the way Haklin (poster), I had a strong feeling they would make a trip to Penfolds Winery as when I was recently checking out Maynard's winery website (caduceus.org), he visited it when here with APC last time. It would have been great to get a chance to see them (I live only a few K's from there) but I don't believe a band should give fans anything other than albums and live shows...perhaps hanging out at shows but the rest of the time they just want to be normal people and do their own thing.

Peace out everyone and be kind to one another, see some of you hopefully in October/November.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #19
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

this show blew my mind. the only problem i had was you couldnt hear the megaphone during rosetta at all down the front. my girlfriend reckons she could hear it clearly down the back. other than that it rocked big time
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

would someone be able to explain the variations on the songs. a poster above said that there was a faster bridge or something in schism, im not sure what that means or where it is? is that the only difference, cause it must be quite subtle. also i did notice a difference in stinkfist but im not sure what it was, im sure it had something to do with the vocals though, he sang them slower or more spread out? and the slower guitar solo in rosseta stoned was awesome, very enjoyable.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnep View Post
would someone be able to explain the variations on the songs. a poster above said that there was a faster bridge or something in schism, im not sure what that means or where it is? is that the only difference, cause it must be quite subtle. also i did notice a difference in stinkfist but im not sure what it was, im sure it had something to do with the vocals though, he sang them slower or more spread out? and the slower guitar solo in rosseta stoned was awesome, very enjoyable.
lol, man, how could you not pick it. Did you come in from 10Kdays album?? Cos its obvious as FUK, seriously. Im not flaming ya mate, but im assuming you havent been into tool for very long?
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

ive been a fan since lateralus, maybe i was just getting into it too much at the time and not really noticing what was happening. i do seem to remember something about a drum solo bit? is that it? man, imagine how bad i would be if i was drinking or took something else. lucky i went it sober really.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Having seen TOOL at Thebby and Enter Centre in previous years, and going to Melbourne last week to see them at the Myer Music Bowl, I rate last night's show as a good one. Being a huge TOOL fan I was pissed off that I couldn't get anywhere near getting a good spot to sit back and watch/listen to my fav band. Having said that, everyone else there paid the same amount of money as me to see bands play music. Yes it was incredibly annoying having to fight to maintain my footing with all the drunk dickheads. However, I can walk away knowing that I had a great time and enjoyed every second of the show, and I don't have a hangover. I am very grateful to the band for bothering to come to our fair country, and make the most of any opportunity to see them. If anyone has any footage of the show I would be incredibly keen to see it..

Peace out...
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

After reading all the listed posts about last nights show I am at a loss with some of the statements. i am a dedicated tool fan, I have had many in depth discussions about all there lyrics from all albums, and have even played a couple of there songs live. I feel I have a fairly good understanding of what tool is about.
I feel tool like to have everybody thinking for them selves and not being sheep, but I don’t understand why Maynard feels he has to disrespect his fans. We all know that in a large crowd of alcohol induced people, there is going to be those that are not going to be capable of controlling themselves. His not singing parts of songs could be as simple as he is not up to it on the night. But as a comparison when we saw pearl jam a few weeks ago Eddie was as crook as and still gave his all to the fans. i am not sure if Maynard realises that without us the fans he would be broke. A show is a show. A job is a job. Not all fans want to be in a book club set up and just talk about messages. That is something for us to all find out for ourselves meeting and talking to like minded tool fans.
I enjoyed last night show, the crowd was what I expected it to be like. A few lyrics missing and even repeated. The mistake at the end of Rosetta stoned was a good reminder that tool are still human. Justin really looked like he was loving life and the crowd. Adam even moved around more than I have seen him do in any of the shows that I have seen(5). Danny is a god of a musician. How does he do it. All the little changes were really cool and to hear an older song like swamp song was really cool. Funny really that most posted comments are bagging the crowd when to Quote the man himself….

But still you stumble in stumbling.
So suffocate
or get out while you can.

Please Maynard treat the crowd with some interaction. Your lyrics and stage presence is amazing, but your manners are that of a spoilt child sometimes. Most people I talk to agree that having you interact with the crowd when you toured with A Perfect Circle was a much better look.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #25
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrits View Post
i am not sure if Maynard realises that without us the fans he would be broke. A show is a show. A job is a job.

Please Maynard treat the crowd with some interaction. Your lyrics and stage presence is amazing, but your manners are that of a spoilt child sometimes.
I tried to say this as well (about us paying his salary and it is a job like any other. Wasn't very well received but I'm glad there are others who feel this way as well.

I always thought Maynard was an intellectual. If this were the case then surely he'd realise that in a crowd of 20, 30, 40 thousand the percentage of unappreciative fuckheads will be small compared to those who are there to enjoy Tool. For this reason alone he could stop being a primadonna, feel the respect the majority have for himself and the band, and pay us a little respect back in return.

Not much to ask, IMHO. Good post, by the way.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-03-2007, 05:04 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

OK this is my first time posting so go easy on me if I've stuffed it up... Last night was my third TOOL show and I thought the guys brought it. We got a few metres from the front while Muse were on and about 3 seconds into Stinkfist I wished we'd just chilled down the back instead. Cheers to the few dudes who made sure everyone was ok after the dick heads in the crowd surged to the left and pushed a whole group of people over.

Worked out for the best in the end though because I thought the sound was heaps better further back, could even here Maynard during Rosetta though not as clear as some of the others. It was a pleasant suprise too I might add, posts from other shows made it sound like a bad choice for a live show but I really enjoyed it.

Highlights for me were Lateralus, Schism and the intro to Vicarious which I thought was beautiful. The lasers were a nice touch too for the last 3 songs, they were really well done although friends who weren't in the D tell me it wasn't as effective further back.

It seemed to me like the guys were enjoying themselves up there. Maynard kind of had his back to the audience a little bit but he was doing his freaky dancing so I don't think he was pissed off with the crowd and he was on the keyboard a bit. The group hug was cool and they did hang around for a few minutes at the end to chuck a things to the crowd (bullettooth I would have run like hell too with all of those tossers out there!)

So glad the guys are coming back in Nov/Dec, can't wait to see them again with an audience who really appreciates what they are all about.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-03-2007, 06:23 AM   #27
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
Akasha explained it perfectly.

The last part (to be said....) was that it wasn't nice of Maynard to generalize everyone. There are good people who deserve all lyrics to be heard.

The rest, see Akasha's post.
Thanks. Understand perfectly (now). And completely agree.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #28
njm
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rdEyeVisual View Post
I think he is talking to the fans. To hear 20,000 people say "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies"

And maynard say "Much better you than I".

It is a conversation between him and the crowd. Just a theory that makes some sense.
Actually, that makes a lot of sense!

Either that or simply he is getting tired. I mean he puts so much into his singing. He gets the absolute best of his voice, and he pushes so much to achieve that. It must be hard to maintain to for 2 years straight?
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-04-2007, 02:35 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

[QUOTE=Haklin;1719670] A lot of small girls/boys need to learn that a moshpit is simply not a place for them. A lot of pushing at the start etc but if u kept ur head about you it was easy to take in the experience of the visuals and audio.

This is all well and fine if you are IN THE MOSH PIT. Having found a spot stage centre, well behind the "D" barrier, level with the mixing desk, i didn't expect a mosh pit. Just the annoying way in which a large portion in the crowd went about handling themselves whilst obviously intoxicated or fucked up on some other substances. By all means get off your chops, enjoy the show. But why be wankers about the way they go about it...!
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #30
On Probation

Location: girt by sea Occupation: Carny 龙 鸡巴 龍 The Answer™: 42
Bincount™: 355

So... I'm glad I finally got to see Tool live after all these years and it was definitely worth the wait. The guys played extremely well, the sound was awesome from where i was standing (middle of the D, roughly level with Danny's kit) and the visuals were simply amazing. No real surprise with the setlist, Swamp Song was great to hear, 46 & 2, Jambi, Lateralus and Ænema the other highlights for me. It was a little disappointing not to hear the Pot or Sober (either would have been great) but I thought it was kinda cool how every BDO got a different experience.
The crowds at the BDO were by far the worst thing about seeing my fav band for the first time. Not much point complaining about them here, because as fompsweeva said, the idiots who ruined it won't be reading this. The BDO has sucked for many years and I really regret not getting tickets to the Sydney or Melb shows, but hey... Tool still kicked arse after I stood in the sun for 4 hrs surrounded by dipshits who didn't even pay attention to any other bands on in the afternoon. (John Butler was definitely the 2nd best on the day, Muse were good, and yes, chrisu25, the Killers suck balls.)

As for Maynard not singing some parts of some songs... it's hard to get upset at a guy who has given so much for so long. deuceman, you have some good points about it being his job, and that if Maynard isn't 'into it', he is letting down the other members of the band. But from what I saw, he was giving quite a bit of effort, I think his voice just isn't up to it at the moment. Or maybe he was just saving his voice because it was only a festival tour. Or because he hated the BDO crowd as much as the rest of us. I just hope when (not if) they are back at the end of the year, he feels better, or the tech guys fix his mic so he is higher up in the mix. The megaphone for Roseta sounded great from where I was too.

BTW deuceman, the myer music bowl thread is very entertaining. Some very good insults flying around, it had me laughing last night. Even though I did have to look most of the words up... haha.

Anyway, it was still easily the best live show I've ever been to.
I have some (pretty crappy) photos from the day.
Check them out here... http://picasaweb.google.com/jdparker7/ToolBDOAdelaide

BEST. BAND. EVER.
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

Oh my God, I have never heard such whinging in my life!!

If you dont like the way people push in Mosh Pits, don't go into the Mosh Pit
If you dont like people singing the songs, dont go to the concert, stay at home and listen to it on your IPOD!!!

Big Day Out is a music festival, that has always involved alcohol and other substances, you know it is always going to be the same, if that gets on your goat, DONT GO!!!

Bands always do limited sets in the fetival setting, and often it is the songs that best suit the varied crowd. I can guarentee Tool know the difference between a fesitval crowd and Tool only crowd, and were well and truly prepared for it.

Be thankful you got to enjoy a whole day of Music, capped of by one of the best bands in the world!!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 02-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #32
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop_Whinging View Post

If you dont like people singing the songs, dont go to the concert, stay at home and listen to it on your IPOD!!!

Big Day Out is a music festival, that has always involved alcohol and other substances, you know it is always going to be the same, if that gets on your goat, DONT GO!!!

Bands always do limited sets in the fetival setting, and often it is the songs that best suit the varied crowd. I can guarentee Tool know the difference between a fesitval crowd and Tool only crowd, and were well and truly prepared for it.

Be thankful you got to enjoy a whole day of Music, capped of by one of the best bands in the world!!!!!!
good first post imo.

i agree 100%, pits are pits and are not for the meek. having said that however, some macho fucks just like to pick on the little people and that sucks. i am not little, but i have seen it and i pick them up.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:39 AM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop_Whinging View Post

You make some very good points, but this years crowd seemed different to other years of the BDO. A lot of agro, unecessary pushing and shoving, and lots of drunk fuckheads. I avoided the mosh pit as it is hard to enjoy a band when you are fighting to stay on your feet, and tool is not really the moshing kind of music. The trick of a big day out is to get totally off your chops by the time the headlining act comes on. Get fuelled on what ever you can get your fucking hands on, that way you will also be too fucked up to realise how annoying all the rest of the drunks are. If you plan on keeping your shit together for the whole day and being coherant enough to remember the performance of tool or your other favourite band, then you are probably right, BDO is not for me. No wait... next year i will get totally fucked up and snort huge lines of fucking drain cleaner and be a right fucking drug fucked drunken wanker. It will surely be a day to remember, and good times will be had by all.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: