opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 09. Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
The album Lateralus is a brainwash.

Ok.. this is just speculation.. but bare with me....

1. The Grudge- I believe this song's intention is to free one's mind from senseless anger and predispositions that we all have pre-programmed in us by those who taught us.. i.e. parents.. etc..

2. Eon Blue Apocalypse- This seems to be a moment of recovery to prepare for the patient..

3. The Patient- I believe this song's purpose is to strip us from social fear and just general nervousness due to social stress..

4. Mantra- Once again I think Mantra is just a moment for us to collect ourselves to prepare for the next lesson..

5. Schism- Ok.. this is the one song on the album that I'm not particularly confident about... but oh well.. I believe that the idea in this song is that we have failed to truly process and touch base with what we really want in this life. I feel like the supposed lovers.. are our conscious and our anima (lower subconscious). And thus, the goal is to topple the temple and rediscover communication with our real self.

6. Parabol- This song is self-explanatory.

7. Parabola- This song is also self-explanatory. If you can't derive the message from these two, then the rest of this will be very difficult to decipher. haha.

8. Ticks and Leeches- I believe this song is a message to the listener more than anyone. I believe that it is meant to be an inspiration to those of us living off of others.. i.e. our parents..

9. Lateralus- Ok.. so this is where the brainwashing really peaks for me.. He starts by speaking of how he saw things as a child.. bright and free from these conceptions of what we call "reality" which is really nothing more than an adulterated, false existence that involves no reality whatsoever.. captured in a net of monotony where we take this world for granted. And throughout the song, we are made aware that this existence is unreal and unfair to life itself. We are then instructed to spiral out! keep going!.. well.. Where do we end up when we spiral out? Exactly where we WANT to be.. By doing this, we completely take control of our own destiny and do exactly what we want with our lives... (Lateralis is a muscle in your leg btw) i.e. hitting the road maybe?

10. Disposition- This is the alternative to spiraling out. Begging for conversation and watching the weather change.

11. Reflection- I believe that this song is a recap so to say...

12. Triad- This is your time to make your choice on what you want to do. Do you spiral out into this world? Or do you watch the weather change in this safe existence?

I'm not including Faaip de Oiad in this because I really haven't gotten how it applies just yet... I'll know soon enough though.

But here's the Brainwash.
1. Free of predispositions
3. Free of unnecessary fear.
5. Reconnecting with who you really are.
7. Living in reality instead of being trapped in daydreams and lost in thought.
8. Stop living off of others.
9. Spiral Out
10. (The other side of the argument)
11. Recap
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
drop d's the way to be

Re: The album Lateralus is a brainwash.

Although i dont entirely agree with your opinion, its good to see other ppl wwho really appreciate their music. my friend and i looked into this and the entire album is a puzzle! plz read the 1st post on this link, if you actually test this guys theory out yourself, you will be amazed at how it all comes together.

http://forums.nightly.net/topic/1810...ralus-by-tool/
Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakmclaughlin View Post
But here's the Brainwash.
1. Free of predispositions
3. Free of unnecessary fear.
5. Reconnecting with who you really are.
7. Living in reality instead of being trapped in daydreams and lost in thought.
8. Stop living off of others.
9. Spiral Out
10. (The other side of the argument)
11. Recap
12. Infinite possibilities
13. Loop
Old 09-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
drop d's the way to be

dang, im always thinking i know exactly what his songs, but its hard to think so open minded at my young age. i have to accept all the possibilities instead of quickly drawing conclusions. sorry to sound like an ass in my last post
Old 09-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
drop d's the way to be

songs mean*
Old 09-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1385

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusRising View Post
Although i dont entirely agree with your opinion, its good to see other ppl wwho really appreciate their music. my friend and i looked into this and the entire album is a puzzle! plz read the 1st post on this link, if you actually test this guys theory out yourself, you will be amazed at how it all comes together.

http://forums.nightly.net/topic/48380-im-engaged/
fixed
Old 09-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
Rosetta Stoned mocks people who delved to deep into Lateralus and called it a Holy Gift.
This.

Why is it that some Tool fans seem to NEED to add unnecessarily profound meaning to things that either have a very simple straightforward meaning and especially to those things which have no real discernable meaning?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

I find it odd that the OP chose not to place then under the general forum for Lateralus. but fwiw here are some thoughts. take them or leave them.

Disposition is a song about being open to new ideas. "Watch the weather change" is a metaphor; If you present me with a new thought, a new idea, a new perspective my disposition will be to remain open to what you have given and if it is "valid" I will accept it. In other words, don't be so set in your ways and moral perspectives to be blind to truth should someone offer you a new perspective.

The Patient is quite simply patience through the trials and tribulations in the pursuit of a greater goal. Whatever that goal may be, you don't give up. The "and I still may" part injects a "fail-safe" into the story, which I interpret as keeping your ambition in check. There may come a point where the negative output of achieving a goal may far outweigh any potential reward and will thus make the journey useless. Say, the patience needed during the writing and recording process of a new Tool album.

Schism, communication is absolutely essential in keeping relationships healthy. No matter how difficult it may be, you have to communicate. And communication means not only speaking appropriately/correctly/candidly, but also listening correctly. Like the communication between bandmates collaborating on an album and staying true to each other as a band.

Parabol/Parabola, Life is a gift. Don't squander it.

Ticks and Leeches, Some people are just assholes. And assholes get fucked by dicks, yadda yadda yadda, pussies covered in shit.

Lateralus, there is so much to experience in this world. As we live, grow outward, onward and upward. Always expanding and experiencing new dimensions. Couscous, Burning Man and such.

Reflection, I am nothing more than the sum of all those around me and they are nothing more than the sum of all those around them and so on. Consciousness is unified, we are all one mind, a reflection of the divine (whatever that may be). I am you, you are me. I must not draw any separation between us. Life and consciousness is the universes way of experiencing itself. And other powerfully trippy stuff of the sort.

EBA, is Adam's tribute to his poochy.

Mantra, awkwardly enough is Maynard squeezing a cat.

Therefor, clearly this album IS brainwashing us into thinking that cats suck, dogs rule. GOD being written in the brain tissue is clearly just DOG backwards.

Excuse me while I go shoot John Lennon's cat.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 09-11-2010 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: to fix a typo and there are probably more but i only get ONE FUCKING MINUTE TO EDIT
Old 09-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re-read the OP slowly word by word and not just quick skim...

WUT?
Old 10-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

This is a very interesting album to think about while you just lay back and listen to it. And your opinion's on the songs seem either very well thought out, or rapidly processed and blurted out onto these forums for some feedback. The meaning that really jumped out at me was the one for "Lateralus"... I do agree that the song is about being able to change your life to the way you see fit, and realizing that you cant always do that without facing the challenges of life and approaching each of those challenges by keeping an open mind and accepting it into your reality. In my opinion, thats the meaning behind the whole album... To realize that we have to deal with life and stop being closed up in our own world. We need to accept EVERYTHING with open arms and ride the spiral of ever-changing environments until we have achieved happiness. And then you can either hop off or keep riding and finding out whats right around the corner.

Last edited by slanzr-500; 10-03-2010 at 12:39 AM..
Old 10-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

WITH ARMS WIDE OOOOOOPPPPPAAAAAAEEEEEEN
Old 10-05-2010, 05:54 AM   #12
MJM
Level 2 - Poster

OVER THINKING OVER STIMULATION SEPERATES THE BODY FROM THE MIND WITHERING MY INTUITION LEAVING OPPORTUNITIES BEHIND.SINCE I FIRST LISTENED TO THE LATERALUS RECORD YEARS AGO ITS ALWAYS LEFT ME WITH A FEELING OF UNDESCRIBABLE SERENITY. STARTING WITH THE GRUDGE WITH LYRICAL GENIUS.TURNING GRUDGES INTO GOLD. IT SEEMS THAT PEOPLE LIKE TO TWIST TOOL SONGS INTO CERTAIN DEFINITIONS, BUT THESE SONGS (AT LEAST FOR ME) ARE ALWAYS CHANGING AND EVOLVING . THE WORLD AND THE PEOPLE IN IT CHANGE AND SPIRAL OUT.ITS THE LAW OF THE UNIVERSE.FOR ME LATERALUS FILLS ME WITH AN OPTIMISM OF A GRACEFUL EXISTANCE. CELEBRATE THE CHANCE TO BE ALIVE AND BREATHING,WORDS THAT I HAVE GROWN TO LIVE BY.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #13
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

God damn it... What year is it??

And people STILL fail with all caps.

By the way, its 'Over thinking, Over analyzing' but I wouldn't to be overly analytical like that and separate my body from my mind now, would I?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
MJM
Level 2 - Poster

It was a singular moment that was projected in CAPS and without using quotations.A personal reflection of insiration.STIMULATING.The album lateralus has somewhat given me a better understanding of myself.If one would consider this brainwash I can see that depending on your definition of the word.To stay honest,open minded,and willing I have found a new way of life that has spiraled into a new way of thinking.No words to describe how this collection of music has inspired me in times of good and bad.I know that somewhere theres got to be somebody who feels the same way that I do.Dont know how I know but I feel it,dont know how I know but I feel it,wanna drop down to my knees when I feel it, singing please take me far.take me far.take me far away from here The roads been long this roads hard, and I need a little time to heal.Thanks tool for letting me witness some of the best art Ive experienced.Spiral out.Keep GROWING.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
OVER THINKING OVER STIMULATION SEPERATES THE BODY FROM THE MIND WITHERING MY INTUITION LEAVING OPPORTUNITIES BEHIND.SINCE I FIRST LISTENED TO THE LATERALUS RECORD YEARS AGO ITS ALWAYS LEFT ME WITH A FEELING OF UNDESCRIBABLE SERENITY. STARTING WITH THE GRUDGE WITH LYRICAL GENIUS.TURNING GRUDGES INTO GOLD. IT SEEMS THAT PEOPLE LIKE TO TWIST TOOL SONGS INTO CERTAIN DEFINITIONS, BUT THESE SONGS (AT LEAST FOR ME) ARE ALWAYS CHANGING AND EVOLVING . THE WORLD AND THE PEOPLE IN IT CHANGE AND SPIRAL OUT.ITS THE LAW OF THE UNIVERSE.FOR ME LATERALUS FILLS ME WITH AN OPTIMISM OF A GRACEFUL EXISTANCE. CELEBRATE THE CHANCE TO BE ALIVE AND BREATHING,WORDS THAT I HAVE GROWN TO LIVE BY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
It was a singular moment that was projected in CAPS and without using quotations.A personal reflection of insiration.STIMULATING.The album lateralus has somewhat given me a better understanding of myself.If one would consider this brainwash I can see that depending on your definition of the word.To stay honest,open minded,and willing I have found a new way of life that has spiraled into a new way of thinking.No words to describe how this collection of music has inspired me in times of good and bad.I know that somewhere theres got to be somebody who feels the same way that I do.Dont know how I know but I feel it,dont know how I know but I feel it,wanna drop down to my knees when I feel it, singing please take me far.take me far.take me far away from here The roads been long this roads hard, and I need a little time to heal.Thanks tool for letting me witness some of the best art Ive experienced.Spiral out.Keep GROWING.
Translation- I suck at verbalizing my thoughts so much that I just repeat over and over in different variations that 'i feel it'.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #16
MJM
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Roshi View Post
Translation- I suck at verbalizing my thoughts so much that I just repeat over and over in different variations that 'i feel it'.
Its the bridge to a song influenced by peoples different outlooks on the album.Never thought that I would have to communicate though a computer screen to fullfill the need of finding others that feel the same as I do about the band.I just registered to this site about 2 days ago.Years ago I could only imagine who would feel the same about the music that I liked so much.Give me a fucking break master.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: