Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
insaner's Avatar insaner
10-23-2007, 12:21 PM

first, you would have to give me a definition of what "new" is i guess. what you typed up there is merely semantical. the first def in m-w.com is

"having recently come into existence"

now, as i understand your argument, there could be nothing new at all?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #41
On Probation

Bincount™: 15
Re: Skeptical

first, you would have to give me a definition of what "new" is i guess. what you typed up there is merely semantical. the first def in m-w.com is

"having recently come into existence"

now, as i understand your argument, there could be nothing new at all?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
gjamison27's Avatar gjamison27
10-24-2007, 08:51 AM

Yeah, that's kinda my point I guess, new is an illusion. Then again, if one doesn't know something, it is new information once they learn it. Not new to humanity, but new to them.

Learning to fly without an airplane would be new info, making a faster more efficient jet isn't.

As I said before, I think its both and more. What's new, what's not new, is a seemingly endless argument. On that note, I'm not arguing, just basking in new information and points of view, in which I find yours stimulating.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make sound? I'd be more concerned with how we know that the tree fell in the first place....
Old 10-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #42
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0

Yeah, that's kinda my point I guess, new is an illusion. Then again, if one doesn't know something, it is new information once they learn it. Not new to humanity, but new to them.

Learning to fly without an airplane would be new info, making a faster more efficient jet isn't.

As I said before, I think its both and more. What's new, what's not new, is a seemingly endless argument. On that note, I'm not arguing, just basking in new information and points of view, in which I find yours stimulating.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make sound? I'd be more concerned with how we know that the tree fell in the first place....
10-24-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjamison27 View Post
If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make sound?
yes
Old 10-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #43
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjamison27 View Post
If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make sound?
yes
10-24-2007, 12:11 PM

I've never been able to gain any insight listening to tool. Once i gain the insight myself and listen again I'm like, "oh shit! That's what they meant." But I've never gained an understanding of something because of them. I guess I like it because no other bands discuss the material.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #44
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 30

I've never been able to gain any insight listening to tool. Once i gain the insight myself and listen again I'm like, "oh shit! That's what they meant." But I've never gained an understanding of something because of them. I guess I like it because no other bands discuss the material.
insaner's Avatar insaner
10-24-2007, 07:49 PM

i have gained musical insight listening to them. the lyrics have just been fun to decipher. i still want more evidence for my The Pot theory.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #45
On Probation

i have gained musical insight listening to them. the lyrics have just been fun to decipher. i still want more evidence for my The Pot theory.
Murray's Avatar Murray
10-25-2007, 06:29 AM

I think they have something to say for sure. I don't think everything they do or say should be taken as philosophy or spiritual words of wisdom.

Tool, to me, have made me think in different ways about things and opened my mind about different ways of thinking etc but I think some people can get carried away.

I think they're more inspiring than anything else. I'd say their main message, for me anyways, is as simple as think for yourself.

Take what you take from the songs and let them mean to you whatever you can relate to and go out and do something with your life. That's how I view them anyway, a catalyst to inspire you. With some amazin tunes in the process.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:29 AM   #46
Level 3 - Talker

I think they have something to say for sure. I don't think everything they do or say should be taken as philosophy or spiritual words of wisdom.

Tool, to me, have made me think in different ways about things and opened my mind about different ways of thinking etc but I think some people can get carried away.

I think they're more inspiring than anything else. I'd say their main message, for me anyways, is as simple as think for yourself.

Take what you take from the songs and let them mean to you whatever you can relate to and go out and do something with your life. That's how I view them anyway, a catalyst to inspire you. With some amazin tunes in the process.
10-25-2007, 12:14 PM

yup.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #47
On Probation

yup.
a_gnostic
10-26-2007, 09:24 PM

I think the subject line says it all. IMO, Tool is a skeptical band. MJK has said before that he likes to write the lyrics from other peoples POV. The band name should also give it away. It's important to question. This very forum got me into scientific skepticism. I was looking for answers, and I used the band as a tool for higher knowlegde.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #48
Level 3 - Talker

I think the subject line says it all. IMO, Tool is a skeptical band. MJK has said before that he likes to write the lyrics from other peoples POV. The band name should also give it away. It's important to question. This very forum got me into scientific skepticism. I was looking for answers, and I used the band as a tool for higher knowlegde.
benjamin's Avatar benjamin
11-07-2007, 04:05 PM

lol! the above, like 4 or 5 posters are some contradicting mo-fo's...

"TOOL aren't special... 'cept for this, that, and the other..."

In your own sentiments, what has anyone ever done EVER IN THE HISTORY OF REALITY!! The fact of the matter is, simply paying attention to, or taking an interest in TOOLs music is a 3rd eye opening experience.

The only real difference in perspective from me (TOOL are the muse of my intelect) and y'all (TOOL's just a band) is as simple as mood.

Peace
Old 11-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #49
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

lol! the above, like 4 or 5 posters are some contradicting mo-fo's...

"TOOL aren't special... 'cept for this, that, and the other..."

In your own sentiments, what has anyone ever done EVER IN THE HISTORY OF REALITY!! The fact of the matter is, simply paying attention to, or taking an interest in TOOLs music is a 3rd eye opening experience.

The only real difference in perspective from me (TOOL are the muse of my intelect) and y'all (TOOL's just a band) is as simple as mood.

Peace
11-07-2007, 04:12 PM

Awesome post benny. I agree 100%
Old 11-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #50
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 10

CainisAbel's Avatar CainisAbel
11-08-2007, 01:48 PM

OLD saying;
'there is nothing NEW under the sun'
Old 11-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #51
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

OLD saying;
'there is nothing NEW under the sun'
11-08-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derge View Post
*Really, they are a group that got together(Opiate), created awesome new music(Undertow), made some great songs with some dual meanings behind them (Aenima), tried for a message(Lateralus), then advised that they failed because the 'sheep' took over(10,000 Days).
I am HOPING that he baaaa'd Salt Lake City becuase Utah is full of Mormons. I think if he has gotten cynical enough to call his own fans sheep, we're in trouble. Noshit most of the Tool fans I know are retarded, but that's only because all people are retarded in comparison to better people, is it is with the more common and idiotic tool fans. I'm willing to bet my ass that Maynard is better off with the run of the mill poser Tool fan then a bunch of Cam'ron fans. I'd rather have a bunch of fake intellectuals following me around then fake criminals.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:03 PM   #52
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derge View Post
*Really, they are a group that got together(Opiate), created awesome new music(Undertow), made some great songs with some dual meanings behind them (Aenima), tried for a message(Lateralus), then advised that they failed because the 'sheep' took over(10,000 Days).
I am HOPING that he baaaa'd Salt Lake City becuase Utah is full of Mormons. I think if he has gotten cynical enough to call his own fans sheep, we're in trouble. Noshit most of the Tool fans I know are retarded, but that's only because all people are retarded in comparison to better people, is it is with the more common and idiotic tool fans. I'm willing to bet my ass that Maynard is better off with the run of the mill poser Tool fan then a bunch of Cam'ron fans. I'd rather have a bunch of fake intellectuals following me around then fake criminals.
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
11-08-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool_Is_Sick View Post
Awesome post Tool_Is_Sick. I agree 100%
Old 11-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #53
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

Quote: