opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Salival » 7. No Quarter
User Name
Password
Old 08-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 89
Same Riff?

Anyone noticed that at 6:12 of this its the exact same riff at 6:02 in Roseta Stoned?? I was listening to Salival and found this and just went through Roseta Stoned to clear it...this has probably been noted before, but what do you think of it?

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860
Re: Same Riff?

It is... sort of. It's actually just a portion of it (the last 4 notes). Adam uses that pattern a lot. Like... a LOT. There's not much to it... just like the part of the riff from the end of Third Eye has been used in Cold & Ugly and The Pot. He re-hashes a lot of stuff but makes it sound different and interesting with different tones, tempos and in context with new riffs.

Technically speaking there are riffs in No Quarter that are very similar to riffs in extended Stinkfist.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

I will have to go look at these, at the moment I'm about to go to sleep...big day tomorrow. But why exactly does he use the same riffs? He likes the sound or just doesn't feel like coming up with something new?

But isn't No Quarter by Led Zeppelin? Does he just take inspiration from them?

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016
Old 09-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

There are just only so many ways you can play in drop D using the pentatonic scale. Adam doesn't really have a very big bag of tricks, but he uses them well. Meaning; He's not a very good guitarist from a technical stand point, but he's excellent at trying unconventional styles of play and sculpting a perfect tone to keep things refreshing and sounding new.

Most of the time I don't even notice Adam has "re-used" some part of a riff until I actually start getting my hands dirty in the tabs and try to learn them.

This is actually a good interview with Adam concerning stuff like this. The 3rd to last question is really where they get into it.

I'm not saying this trying to make it sound like Adam sucks; I don't think that at all. I love his playing. I adore it actually. The level of perfection he has at controlling his tone is unreal to me. His use of his wah pedal, volume, delay, feedback... it's uncanny. He does have some technical ability too, dont get me wrong. His riff for Aenema where he taps the bar chords and does all the picking on the G and B strings in two different time signatures, and his triplet technique for the opening riff of Jambi are difficult things to master. I still don't get how to play Jambi... the CORRECT way.

Also, with regard to No Quarter specifically. Remember it isn't a note for note cover of the song. If No Quarter was a Tool song, this is what it would sound like.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Common Jones Riffs/Techniques (in order encountered, for the most part):

Alternating heel/toe of wah during solos: 2:09, Hush, 5:10, H. Forty Six & 2 solo, 12:19, Third Eye, Parabola second solo, Lateralus second solo, 6:27, 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2), Rosetta Stoned solo, Right in Two solo,

Open, then playing alternating notes on 2-3 strings with your index and ring fingers: Cold and Ugly [Live], 1:06, Prison Sex, 2:45, 4:53, Undertow, 3:28, H. 3:30, Forty Six & 2, 5:20, The Patient, Vicarious ending, 6:07, Rosetta Stoned,
a. Alternating patterns of that: verses of Swamp Song, Flood, 3:29, The Grudge, Schism, 6:44, Jambi,
b. With little distortion and delay: 3:16, Swamp Song, 3:02, Reflection, The Pot bridge, 1:50, Rosetta Stoned,
c. Playing a note, then using this, then returning: 3:47, Hooker With A Penis, 5:38, The Pot
d. Hammering-on to the 3rd or 4th frets: 4:05, Parabola, 10:09, No Quarter, 10:16, Rosetta Stoned

Using second two strings together, bending third string up to match note of second string (usually with delay): Sober, 0:14, Swamp Song, 4:05, 5:15, H, Jambi solo (with Talkbox),

Controlled feedback (late category, feedback recreated live): Sober intro, 2:22, Bottom, :24, Crawl Away, 4:29, Swamp Song, intro to Stinkfist, etc, Ticks & Leeches

Using wah to add a higher sound: 5:17, Flood, 5:20, Forty Six & 2, 8:42, Lateralus

Pick slide with delay: 6:18, Flood, Lateralus second solo, 2:47, The Pot

Alternating with drums: 6:34, Flood, Forty Six & 2 bridge, 7:36, The Grudge, 7:17, Lateralus, 3:37, Vicarious, 5:38, Jambi,

Pick slide with feedback and/or glass slide and delay: Stinkfist, 2:40-2:55, Eulogy, 5:17, intro to Third Eye, 9:49, Third Eye,

Playing behind bridge: Eulogy intro, H. chorus, 8:15, Third Eye

D chord stuff: H. verse, Vicarious intro and bridge, 0:54, Forty Six & 2,

Rolling across first three strings: verses of Hooker With A Penis, 1:43, Vicarious, Jambi, 4:28, The Pot
Rolling hammer-ons/pull-offs (often, the above riffs with a/b/c/d are as such): 6:24, Schism, :28, Rosetta Stoned (the verses), 2:08, Eulogy

Bending with string behind nut: 2:38, The Grudge **

Around 2:23 of Rosetta Stoned is a riff very similar to something I heard earlier...it sounds a bit like the verse riff of Bottom, but I don't think that's what I'm looking for. **

** Included because these are particularly uncommon, used once, caught my attention, etc.

It's interesting for me, as a guitarist, to see his progression between albums--there are definitely riffs that he has evolved to use a lot over the years, and other ones that only appear once in a song and really "make" the song for me. I hope this helps any players here who are stuck on something, or just those interested in knowing about what he does. I am considering making a demonstration video to cover all of these. It has taken me a while to get them all nailed down (most recently I've picked up the slide/delay stuff from Stinkfist and Third Eye) and I feel like it might help those who are curious.

Breathe in Union!

Last edited by SpiralOut34; 05-31-2014 at 06:40 AM..
Old 05-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em6V...ature=youtu.be

Made a video that addresses some of the riffs here, I basically just went down the list and played things from memory that showed some of the things I was talking about. Sorry for the errors, these things happen!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

I've been watching this live show and at 50:43 noticed that, instead of playing the bridge Schism riff on two strings, he plays all of it on one string. This struck me as kind of funny, because you run a lot higher risk of hitting the wrong high notes when you're having to slide your fingers around instead of keep to a similar area and then using the same pattern for the end of that riff. He also does not alternate his picking.

I was getting pretty upset when they played AEnima and Maynard said, "Thank you very much," thinking they would not play Lateralus. It is absolutely my favorite song live, it's an experience and a power.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: