Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Rosetta Stoned
04-20-2006, 08:45 AM

I'm wondering why the band chose to include parts of older songs in this recording? Rosetta Stoned to me is a joke song. Now, don't get me wrong, I like it, but still....i've never in my life heard a band copy themselves so intentionaly. It's going to be interesting to hear the band explain why they did this.

I hear another flashback in "Right in Two." Pushit from salival....another cut and paste job...

weird. but why the fuck would they do that?!?!?!? 0_o
Old 04-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Wondering why?

I'm wondering why the band chose to include parts of older songs in this recording? Rosetta Stoned to me is a joke song. Now, don't get me wrong, I like it, but still....i've never in my life heard a band copy themselves so intentionaly. It's going to be interesting to hear the band explain why they did this.

I hear another flashback in "Right in Two." Pushit from salival....another cut and paste job...

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Vegama
04-20-2006, 08:49 AM

Can you prove to me that it's as cut and paste as you say, and if you can, can you tell me why it wouldn't be a great idea to take highlights from previous albums and mix them with new material and make something entirely new and awesome from it all?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Re: Wondering why?

Can you prove to me that it's as cut and paste as you say, and if you can, can you tell me why it wouldn't be a great idea to take highlights from previous albums and mix them with new material and make something entirely new and awesome from it all?
Rosetta Stoned
04-20-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegama
i shouldn't have to prove anything. listen to the song, then tell me that you can't hear previous songs copied. more than half of the song is taking directly from older songs.

lets just say that i'm skeptical about this being the real deal.

it might be a cool thing to take parts from previous material....but have you ever heard a band do that before? we've always known that tool never does the same thing over again.

i believe that tool knew that a leak would occur, so they gave the decoy to the press, and released it. who knows.

...maybe...maybe not? maybe there is a reason for the flashbacks...?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
i shouldn't have to prove anything. listen to the song, then tell me that you can't hear previous songs copied. more than half of the song is taking directly from older songs.

lets just say that i'm skeptical about this being the real deal.

it might be a cool thing to take parts from previous material....but have you ever heard a band do that before? we've always known that tool never does the same thing over again.

i believe that tool knew that a leak would occur, so they gave the decoy to the press, and released it. who knows.

...maybe...maybe not? maybe there is a reason for the flashbacks...?
KFJ
04-20-2006, 09:05 AM

Makes perfect sense to me to include flashbacks to previous songs when the subject matter indicates some kind of LSD trip gone wrong. (talking about this particular song only)

Last edited by KFJ; 04-20-2006 at 09:21 AM..
Old 04-20-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
KFJ
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Makes perfect sense to me to include flashbacks to previous songs when the subject matter indicates some kind of LSD trip gone wrong. (talking about this particular song only)

Last edited by KFJ; 04-20-2006 at 09:21 AM..
Rosetta Stoned
04-20-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFJ
okay, that still doesn't answer my question about the inclusion of a certain part of a certain salival track during 'right in two'...
Old 04-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFJ
okay, that still doesn't answer my question about the inclusion of a certain part of a certain salival track during 'right in two'...
Rosetta Stoned
04-20-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
There is no other Tool song in this song. Period.
...alright...keep on saying that...
Old 04-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
...alright...keep on saying that...
hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
04-20-2006, 01:47 PM

i definitely heard things i have heard before from older tool work...and i think this song
is fucking perfect to express it in...a fucking bad acid trip
where all this shit comes back pouring in on you
what can do you but
take it in..and let it out
Old 04-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

i definitely heard things i have heard before from older tool work...and i think this song
is fucking perfect to express it in...a fucking bad acid trip
where all this shit comes back pouring in on you
what can do you but
take it in..and let it out
04-20-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:

quoted for truth
Old 04-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
On Probation

Quote:

quoted for truth
KFJ
04-20-2006, 07:48 PM

H. is definitely in this song.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #9
KFJ
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

H. is definitely in this song.
Narcasist
04-21-2006, 09:01 AM

If you want people to believe you, you should probably give, you know, actually proof, as in what spots, and what songs you hear at them.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:01 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

If you want people to believe you, you should probably give, you know, actually proof, as in what spots, and what songs you hear at them.
praefector's Avatar praefector
04-21-2006, 09:20 AM

theres another thread about this

IMO the song is an acid flashback and having pieces that sound like bits of other albums, as well as the lyrical content and cadence, contributes to this feeling.

BUT

if you notice each familiar piece is a little different...the third eye riff that shows up is the same progression but in a different time sig.

the H part has more effects and generally sounds more weighty

anyone who has had an acid flashback before knows what im talking about, you remember bits and pieces but they all seem strangely different than they did when you first experienced them.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

theres another thread about this

IMO the song is an acid flashback and having pieces that sound like bits of other albums, as well as the lyrical content and cadence, contributes to this feeling.

BUT

if you notice each familiar piece is a little different...the third eye riff that shows up is the same progression but in a different time sig.

the H part has more effects and generally sounds more weighty

anyone who has had an acid flashback before knows what im talking about, you remember bits and pieces but they all seem strangely different than they did when you first experienced them.
QuantumMind's Avatar QuantumMind
04-21-2006, 09:22 AM

I love this song but you have to admit that at 2:57 that is the 'almost' exact riff from third eye is used. It is not exact because in third eye that riff was played in 6/4 (or 12/4 depending on how many times you count the riff) and on this song it is played in 11/4 because they left out the last note.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:22 AM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I love this song but you have to admit that at 2:57 that is the 'almost' exact riff from third eye is used. It is not exact because in third eye that riff was played in 6/4 (or 12/4 depending on how many times you count the riff) and on this song it is played in 11/4 because they left out the last note.
ljasonl
04-21-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
can you tell me why it wouldn't be a great idea to take highlights from previous albums and mix them with new material and make something entirely new and awesome from it all?
Using old stuff to help interpret new, making a rosetta stone of sorts?
HMMMMMM........

For the life of me I can't figure out why this song kicks so much ass
Old 04-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
can you tell me why it wouldn't be a great idea to take highlights from previous albums and mix them with new material and make something entirely new and awesome from it all?
Using old stuff to help interpret new, making a rosetta stone of sorts?
HMMMMMM........

For the life of me I can't figure out why this song kicks so much ass
voleurz's Avatar voleurz
04-21-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosetta Stoned
.... but why the fuck would they do that?!?!?!? 0_o
because stone cold says so!
Old 04-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
.... but why the fuck would they do that?!?!?!? 0_o
because stone cold says so!
Dredg's Avatar Dredg
04-21-2006, 01:07 PM

The only part that saves this song is at 7:05..... other wise this is just recycled Third Eye.

It is funny when the band says "this is our best album to date" and then all the little Tool fanboys come to the forums like "This song made me splooge".. "I actually shed a tear"
Old 04-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #15
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 15

The only part that saves this song is at 7:05..... other wise this is just recycled Third Eye.

It is funny when the band says "this is our best album to date" and then all the little Tool fanboys come to the forums like "This song made me splooge".. "I actually shed a tear"
placidium's Avatar placidium
04-21-2006, 01:09 PM

this song is gorgeous. i won't hold that one riff against them just because it sounds like third eye.

Lateralus's riff was a cut and paste job.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #16
Banned.

Bincount™: 1805

this song is gorgeous. i won't hold that one riff against them just because it sounds like third eye.

Dredg's Avatar Dredg
04-21-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidium

cut and paste job from whaT? please actually post something worth while so we dont have to keep posting. You should of wrote WHY the riff was a cut and paste job with specific times and comparitive songs....come on lets get a move on...
Old 04-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #17
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

cut and paste job from whaT? please actually post something worth while so we dont have to keep posting. You should of wrote WHY the riff was a cut and paste job with specific times and comparitive songs....come on lets get a move on...
ljasonl
04-21-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredg

It helps that this really is their best album to date though
Old 04-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

04-21-2006, 01:18 PM

listen to the final riff in part 1 of lateralus. 0-10-12

then listen to Aenema.

the riff on rosetta stoned is like the one on third eye, but the notes are different.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:18 PM   #19
Banned.

listen to the final riff in part 1 of lateralus. 0-10-12

then listen to Aenema.

the riff on rosetta stoned is like the one on third eye, but the notes are different.
Dredg's Avatar Dredg
04-21-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljasonl

i cant really imagine or think how recycled riffs from previous albums can be considered their best work.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:18 PM   #20
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

i cant really imagine or think how recycled riffs from previous albums can be considered their best work.
ArizonaBay's Avatar ArizonaBay
04-21-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Because its fake. Its not just one riff on this song there is ALOT
Old 04-21-2006, 01:21 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Quote:

Because its fake. Its not just one riff on this song there is ALOT
04-21-2006, 01:22 PM

okay, so let's say they stole the 2 schsim riffs for Vicarious (which consists of about 10 others) and the third eye riff for rosetta stoned. some say they used H. in Rosetta stoned, but I don't think so at all.

so that's 4 riffs that sound like old ones, at most. goddamn this album is a total rehash.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #22
Banned.

okay, so let's say they stole the 2 schsim riffs for Vicarious (which consists of about 10 others) and the third eye riff for rosetta stoned. some say they used H. in Rosetta stoned, but I don't think so at all.

so that's 4 riffs that sound like old ones, at most. goddamn this album is a total rehash.
Dredg's Avatar Dredg
04-21-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:

I dont really hear H in Rosetta stoned at all. however, who knows what their goals for this album were? It is pretty easy to take advantage of the average listener and just recycle a bunch of what people came to love in previous albums. They just have to hype it up by saying it is their best album. Most of their fans will think this is true and when the album is released they are programmed with nothing else but to think this is their best album.

To me, this is more of a B sides album (nonetheless a good B-sides album); however, when a bunch of screaming retarded fans say shit like "this is the best album" and "it made me splooge" it only makes it worse.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:26 PM   #23
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

I dont really hear H in Rosetta stoned at all. however, who knows what their goals for this album were? It is pretty easy to take advantage of the average listener and just recycle a bunch of what people came to love in previous albums. They just have to hype it up by saying it is their best album. Most of their fans will think this is true and when the album is released they are programmed with nothing else but to think this is their best album.

To me, this is more of a B sides album (nonetheless a good B-sides album); however, when a bunch of screaming retarded fans say shit like "this is the best album" and "it made me splooge" it only makes it worse.
acsguitar
04-21-2006, 01:26 PM

I heard TOOL uses a Drop D tunning in this song too. Obviously they are copying old songs what a bunch of sellouts they shoulda played drop Cb :)
Old 04-21-2006, 01:26 PM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I heard TOOL uses a Drop D tunning in this song too. Obviously they are copying old songs what a bunch of sellouts they shoulda played drop Cb :)
ljasonl
04-21-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't see how that matters
They've expanded on their old work. They've taken it to a new level

Nevermind, I don't want to argue about it. I can already see it's going to be like talking to a wall
Old 04-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Nevermind, I don't want to argue about it. I can already see it's going to be like talking to a wall
Dredg's Avatar Dredg
04-21-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsguitar

maybe they should of because I would hope Adam would figure out that he may of used up all of his drop D skills/riffs
Old 04-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #26
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsguitar

maybe they should of because I would hope Adam would figure out that he may of used up all of his drop D skills/riffs
04-21-2006, 01:28 PM

On this song there is also the samples from the background from reflectionand the handclap sounds from the grudge, there was more too but i cant think of them right now.

This song is a joke. Really i cant see how you dont see it, its terrible. I know thats opinion but this song is just a mess of bits of other songs and terrible lyrics and vocals. "I lost my pen, goddamn shit the bed again"
Old 04-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #27
Level 8 - Vociferous

On this song there is also the samples from the background from reflectionand the handclap sounds from the grudge, there was more too but i cant think of them right now.

This song is a joke. Really i cant see how you dont see it, its terrible. I know thats opinion but this song is just a mess of bits of other songs and terrible lyrics and vocals. "I lost my pen, goddamn shit the bed again"
Dredg's Avatar Dredg
04-21-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:

yeah they expanded on their old work. it is called a B-sides album, many bands do that.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #28
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

yeah they expanded on their old work. it is called a B-sides album, many bands do that.
04-21-2006, 01:30 PM

terrible vocals? no way. some of his best, imo.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:30 PM   #29
Banned.

terrible vocals? no way. some of his best, imo.
04-21-2006, 01:32 PM

Listen to his long scream near the end. Its horrible. Listen to the goofy voice he puts on on the shit the bed bit.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Listen to his long scream near the end. Its horrible. Listen to the goofy voice he puts on on the shit the bed bit.
04-21-2006, 01:36 PM

the is one of those grin moments for me. and the climax is gut wrenching. the end of the song sounds like something they just tossed in, yeah, as a way of shrugging off the mania from just before. kind of like when someone shrugs off something really deep they just said to break the ice, like "i dunno maybe i'm just stupid lol" without the literal "lawl."

that's just what i think. i really love this song, a lot.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #31
Banned.

the is one of those grin moments for me. and the climax is gut wrenching. the end of the song sounds like something they just tossed in, yeah, as a way of shrugging off the mania from just before. kind of like when someone shrugs off something really deep they just said to break the ice, like "i dunno maybe i'm just stupid lol" without the literal "lawl."

that's just what i think. i really love this song, a lot.
ljasonl
04-21-2006, 01:59 PM

To the folks who hate this song:
Have you ever experienced a hard drug trip?

Not once during this entire CD did I think "they ripped that off an old song!"
There are some parts where I hear throwbacks to old stuff, but that's a completely different thing
Old 04-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

To the folks who hate this song:
Have you ever experienced a hard drug trip?

Not once during this entire CD did I think "they ripped that off an old song!"
There are some parts where I hear throwbacks to old stuff, but that's a completely different thing
04-21-2006, 02:34 PM

^^ No no no. It sounds all trippy because of third eye rip off and the fact it has no structure. I see where you are coming from, but i dont think you are correct.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:34 PM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

^^ No no no. It sounds all trippy because of third eye rip off and the fact it has no structure. I see where you are coming from, but i dont think you are correct.
ljasonl
04-21-2006, 02:51 PM

I think this song captures the trip feeling perfectly. Third Eye failed at it
I always thought Third Eye didn't have it quite right but I never realized just how wrong it was till this
Old 04-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

I think this song captures the trip feeling perfectly. Third Eye failed at it
I always thought Third Eye didn't have it quite right but I never realized just how wrong it was till this
Madrid's Avatar Madrid
04-21-2006, 11:59 PM

Quote:
i've never in my life heard a band copy themselves so intentionaly.
Have you ever heard a song with a chorus?
http://galleryofpeanuts.blogspot.com
Old 04-21-2006, 11:59 PM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 20

Quote:
i've never in my life heard a band copy themselves so intentionaly.
Have you ever heard a song with a chorus?
http://galleryofpeanuts.blogspot.com
RosettaStoned's Avatar RosettaStoned
04-22-2006, 12:28 AM

YOU STOLE MY NICK :(

*I stole it honestly from maynard*
Old 04-22-2006, 12:28 AM   #36
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

YOU STOLE MY NICK :(

*I stole it honestly from maynard*
frosty nugs
04-22-2006, 02:33 AM

I think it's funny how "right in two" is supposed to be a rip off of pushit just because it contains a tabla solo. There are no other resemblances at all, and there are quite a few other tunes out there with tabla solos in them. Is right in two a rip off of them as well?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:33 AM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

I think it's funny how "right in two" is supposed to be a rip off of pushit just because it contains a tabla solo. There are no other resemblances at all, and there are quite a few other tunes out there with tabla solos in them. Is right in two a rip off of them as well?
04-22-2006, 03:18 AM

Holy crap, stop it all of you. Take a step back listen to this song again its a piece of shit. Its tool jamming and throwing in their old riffs, its a joke end of story, why cant people see this? Why? *puts head in hands and despairs*
Old 04-22-2006, 03:18 AM   #38
Level 8 - Vociferous

Holy crap, stop it all of you. Take a step back listen to this song again its a piece of shit. Its tool jamming and throwing in their old riffs, its a joke end of story, why cant people see this? Why? *puts head in hands and despairs*
Jim
04-22-2006, 03:42 AM

Never heard of a band intentionally copy themselves? I 'm pretty sure that the intro to "Rape Me" is a conscious reference to "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I think I read that in the biography book "Come As You Are". I know I read it somewhere, albiet a long time ago. I'm not going to speculate on the argument that this is what Tool is doing. I just wanted to remind/inform y'all of that true fact with that Nirvana song.
-Jim
Old 04-22-2006, 03:42 AM   #39
Jim
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Never heard of a band intentionally copy themselves? I 'm pretty sure that the intro to "Rape Me" is a conscious reference to "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I think I read that in the biography book "Come As You Are". I know I read it somewhere, albiet a long time ago. I'm not going to speculate on the argument that this is what Tool is doing. I just wanted to remind/inform y'all of that true fact with that Nirvana song.
-Jim
HawkWolf
04-22-2006, 11:18 AM

You know, I like to complain. A lot. But what exactly is there to prove by going, "I know for a fact that this song is a fake! it's a fake! here are all my reasons why!" ... it ends up being like one of those quackjobs who goes on about how everything's a conspiracy and has reams of paper to prove it, even though it's all just in his crazy head.

Gee, that sounds a little familiar, doesn't it? Crazy guy, conspiracy theories....
Old 04-22-2006, 11:18 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

You know, I like to complain. A lot. But what exactly is there to prove by going, "I know for a fact that this song is a fake! it's a fake! here are all my reasons why!" ... it ends up being like one of those quackjobs who goes on about how everything's a conspiracy and has reams of paper to prove it, even though it's all just in his crazy head.

Gee, that sounds a little familiar, doesn't it? Crazy guy, conspiracy theories....

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply