Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
TandL
09-29-2006, 10:04 AM

I woke up this morning and on espn classic, i saw a commercial for ROSETTA STONE. It's a computer program that teaches like 28 different languages. This is the first time I saw this, and am wondering if that's where the title for this song came from. Seeing as the first few times someone hears it, you're trying to understand what's actually being said.

Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Rosetta STONE

I woke up this morning and on espn classic, i saw a commercial for ROSETTA STONE. It's a computer program that teaches like 28 different languages. This is the first time I saw this, and am wondering if that's where the title for this song came from. Seeing as the first few times someone hears it, you're trying to understand what's actually being said.

Thoughts?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
duncang's Avatar duncang
09-29-2006, 12:20 PM

That program is named after THE Rosetta Stone, an Ancient Egyptian (correct me if I'm wrong from here) artifact which had the same text engraved in three different languages (Heiroglyph, Latin and ???), the first discovered translation in word, I think...
Be A Human
Old 09-29-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12
Re: Rosetta STONE

That program is named after THE Rosetta Stone, an Ancient Egyptian (correct me if I'm wrong from here) artifact which had the same text engraved in three different languages (Heiroglyph, Latin and ???), the first discovered translation in word, I think...
Be A Human
mikeanthony's Avatar mikeanthony
09-29-2006, 12:30 PM

i think the title came from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_Stone

"If the British want to be remembered, if they want to restore their reputation, they should volunteer to return the stone because it is the icon of our Egyptian identity." The British sent him a replica of the stone"

lol

Last edited by mikeanthony; 09-29-2006 at 12:33 PM..
Old 09-29-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 85

i think the title came from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_Stone

"If the British want to be remembered, if they want to restore their reputation, they should volunteer to return the stone because it is the icon of our Egyptian identity." The British sent him a replica of the stone"

lol

Last edited by mikeanthony; 09-29-2006 at 12:33 PM..
MetaAsmo
09-30-2006, 04:47 AM

I know this is really going to kill the whole nice / helpful vibe of this thread........but.............you fucking idiot, why would they name a song after an obscure piece of computer software? Why don't you give like 5 seconds thought to what you're asking before you shit some retarded 'discovery' out your mouth?

That's the stupidest post I've ever read.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:47 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

I know this is really going to kill the whole nice / helpful vibe of this thread........but.............you fucking idiot, why would they name a song after an obscure piece of computer software? Why don't you give like 5 seconds thought to what you're asking before you shit some retarded 'discovery' out your mouth?

Phorty's Avatar Phorty
09-30-2006, 05:43 AM

Calm down man . he tried.
I know, I’m guilty of thinking the same thought as soon as i read it , but everyone’s entitled to their own opinions.
"squeegeeing my third glass eye"
Old 09-30-2006, 05:43 AM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Calm down man . he tried.
I know, I’m guilty of thinking the same thought as soon as i read it , but everyone’s entitled to their own opinions.
"squeegeeing my third glass eye"
Xicked's Avatar Xicked
09-30-2006, 07:34 AM

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
-Plato
Old 09-30-2006, 07:34 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 141

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
-Plato
grady's Avatar grady
10-06-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaAsmo View Post

I completely agree. As I was reading it, I felt it coming . I was thinking to myself, "don't say maybe that's what the song is about"

Sure enough.

grady
Old 10-06-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:

I completely agree. As I was reading it, I felt it coming . I was thinking to myself, "don't say maybe that's what the song is about"

Sure enough.

grady
lagimatt's Avatar lagimatt
10-06-2006, 12:23 PM

MMM.... Dead Thread? I think we have come to a concensus that the song is not about a computer program. maybe however the computer program is named after the song };-)
Old 10-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 17

MMM.... Dead Thread? I think we have come to a concensus that the song is not about a computer program. maybe however the computer program is named after the song };-)
10-07-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandL View Post

Thoughts?
*expelling every fluid in body due to laughing fit*

hahahhahahahahaha!! aahhhh *sigh*... good one :D
Old 10-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

Quote:

Thoughts?
*expelling every fluid in body due to laughing fit*

hahahhahahahahaha!! aahhhh *sigh*... good one :D
MeThoD's Avatar MeThoD
10-18-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncang View Post

Heiroglyphic, greek, and some other egyptian writing. I think.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:47 PM   #10
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncang View Post

10-19-2006, 08:47 AM

GOD DAMN, SHIT THE BED!

Get the FACTS about FACTS!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

GOD DAMN, SHIT THE BED!

Get the FACTS about FACTS!
TandL
10-25-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:

I never said that's what the song is about. I really could care less about what the songs mean to anyone beside me. All i was trying to point out is, could he be up in the midlle of night and see an infomercial and just think it was funny? Because lord knows they write everysong so assholes like you can sit around all day find the meaning to every song, and find Jesus.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:06 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

I never said that's what the song is about. I really could care less about what the songs mean to anyone beside me. All i was trying to point out is, could he be up in the midlle of night and see an infomercial and just think it was funny? Because lord knows they write everysong so assholes like you can sit around all day find the meaning to every song, and find Jesus.
Mr. Electric Ocean
10-26-2006, 05:37 AM

Quote:

HAHAHA agreed
Old 10-26-2006, 05:37 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

HAHAHA agreed
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
10-26-2006, 09:13 AM

this thread shouldn't be "dead" (the premise sucks, but...), this is an amazing project. i can't believe it got a commecial, though... and on espn!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #14
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

this thread shouldn't be "dead" (the premise sucks, but...), this is an amazing project. i can't believe it got a commecial, though... and on espn!
10-29-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeThoD View Post
Heiroglyphic, Greek and Demotic which was a later egyptian dielect.

Also to the poster why the hell would you point out that rosetta stone is a piece of software. It's not like the damn song is about software. Check out some history and realize there actually was a stone found in rosetta egypt that was used to fucking DECYPHER HEIROGLYPHICS.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeThoD View Post
Heiroglyphic, Greek and Demotic which was a later egyptian dielect.

Also to the poster why the hell would you point out that rosetta stone is a piece of software. It's not like the damn song is about software. Check out some history and realize there actually was a stone found in rosetta egypt that was used to fucking DECYPHER HEIROGLYPHICS.
Enigma112358134711
11-02-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?
I've actually seen the same commercial at around four in the morning. it doesn't mean thats what the song is about but in the song he says "Don’t even know what that means, must remember to write it down" "You believe me don’t you?
Please believe what I just said."
Through out the song he tries to deliver the message given to him but seems he cant because he doesn't really know what was the message.
no one believes because its as if he's speaking a different language.
so yea
Old 11-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

Thoughts?
I've actually seen the same commercial at around four in the morning. it doesn't mean thats what the song is about but in the song he says "Don’t even know what that means, must remember to write it down" "You believe me don’t you?
Please believe what I just said."
Through out the song he tries to deliver the message given to him but seems he cant because he doesn't really know what was the message.
no one believes because its as if he's speaking a different language.
so yea

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply