Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 01. Vicarious
User Name
Password
Mr. Parabola
10-09-2006, 01:38 PM

Maynard wrote the lyrics to Vicarious in the first person i.e.) "Don't look at me like I am a monster," "I need to watch things die," "Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies," etc.

To me, this begs a simple question (one that I hope has not been asked before). Does Maynard really include himself among the ranks of a society addicted to violence? OR Is he adopting the persona of a member of that society? In other words, is he playing a character?

I would opt for the second option for several reasons.

From a rhetorical standpoint, it is easier to criticize a group that sees you as a member, instead of an outsider. Saying "I" and "we" do something works more persuasively than saying "you" do something. The former sounds much less judgmental than the latter. By seeming to include himself among the violence addicted, Maynard sets himself up to make his criticism at the end of the song.

The more obvious reason that Maynard's playing a character comes from what we know about his political and social views on violence. Do you really think that a guy who runs a vineyard and covers John Lennon in a mohawk wig REALLY watches CNN for hours on end?

Again, hope this post doesn't rehash anything...and I hope it interests you.

Last edited by Mr. Parabola; 10-10-2006 at 08:17 AM..
Old 10-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Where's Maynard?

Maynard wrote the lyrics to Vicarious in the first person i.e.) "Don't look at me like I am a monster," "I need to watch things die," "Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies," etc.

To me, this begs a simple question (one that I hope has not been asked before). Does Maynard really include himself among the ranks of a society addicted to violence? OR Is he adopting the persona of a member of that society? In other words, is he playing a character?

I would opt for the second option for several reasons.

From a rhetorical standpoint, it is easier to criticize a group that sees you as a member, instead of an outsider. Saying "I" and "we" do something works more persuasively than saying "you" do something. The former sounds much less judgmental than the latter. By seeming to include himself among the violence addicted, Maynard sets himself up to make his criticism at the end of the song.

The more obvious reason that Maynard's playing a character comes from what we know about his political and social views on violence. Do you really think that a guy who runs a vineyard and covers John Lennon in a mohawk wig REALLY watches CNN for hours on end?

Again, hope this post doesn't rehash anything...and I hope it interests you.

Last edited by Mr. Parabola; 10-10-2006 at 08:17 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Phorty's Avatar Phorty
10-09-2006, 01:52 PM

Judging by his persona on the 10,000 days tour , I’m assuming his "character" must be inspired from at least one of the song's messages .
I just couldn’t figure out if he was showing us the average American "vicarious" persona or the culmination of the inspiration for the rosetta stoned track.

or maybe , just maybe , his cowboy hat wearing , big belt buckled , rodeo self is supposed to be a young geroge bush , who knows
"squeegeeing my third glass eye"
Old 10-09-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Where's Maynard?

Judging by his persona on the 10,000 days tour , I’m assuming his "character" must be inspired from at least one of the song's messages .
I just couldn’t figure out if he was showing us the average American "vicarious" persona or the culmination of the inspiration for the rosetta stoned track.

or maybe , just maybe , his cowboy hat wearing , big belt buckled , rodeo self is supposed to be a young geroge bush , who knows
"squeegeeing my third glass eye"
jonboy's Avatar jonboy
10-09-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorty View Post
geroge bush
Ha. Good name for dork No1. Geroge. Ha
Old 10-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 129

Quote:
geroge bush
Ha. Good name for dork No1. Geroge. Ha
OUTATIME's Avatar OUTATIME
10-10-2006, 12:07 AM

I think you answered your own question.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 AM   #4

Bincount™: 3

I think you answered your own question.
Mr. Parabola
10-10-2006, 10:38 AM

True...the point was to get some discussion going
Old 10-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

True...the point was to get some discussion going
philipg's Avatar philipg
10-11-2006, 06:40 AM

yeah it's kind of the same thing as the outsider by a perfect circle
he isnt expressing his views, but rather adopting a persona for the song.
same thing as the song pet...
Old 10-11-2006, 06:40 AM   #6

yeah it's kind of the same thing as the outsider by a perfect circle
he isnt expressing his views, but rather adopting a persona for the song.
same thing as the song pet...
Warartist's Avatar Warartist
10-11-2006, 06:57 AM

I think he's adopting the persona of a god. A god watching the members of a violence addicted society suffer, because he to is pretty hooked. Fucker...
Old 10-11-2006, 06:57 AM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

I think he's adopting the persona of a god. A god watching the members of a violence addicted society suffer, because he to is pretty hooked. Fucker...
wow_szzmiles_queen
10-11-2006, 06:47 PM

I think its funny how you believe maynard could be playing a character by using the expression 'I', for all of his music is simply a way of saying to not be just another.. to not just fall in. He is too smart and would know that if he were to fall into a character part, he might actually become that character he pretends to be .. and i believe you absoulutly right by thinking that if he put 'you' instead it would be far to judgmental and cocky, i would probably loose apreciation of his music (think when you sing his music.. you are now I?).. this is getting to long..
Old 10-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

I think its funny how you believe maynard could be playing a character by using the expression 'I', for all of his music is simply a way of saying to not be just another.. to not just fall in. He is too smart and would know that if he were to fall into a character part, he might actually become that character he pretends to be .. and i believe you absoulutly right by thinking that if he put 'you' instead it would be far to judgmental and cocky, i would probably loose apreciation of his music (think when you sing his music.. you are now I?).. this is getting to long..
fretforyourfigure462's Avatar fretforyourfigure462
10-12-2006, 03:23 PM

Ya know that's very interesting because I always wondered why Maynard seemed to be contradicting himself in his songs. I do agree with you, I think Maynard IS playing a character.

I like the way you said all that.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Ya know that's very interesting because I always wondered why Maynard seemed to be contradicting himself in his songs. I do agree with you, I think Maynard IS playing a character.

I like the way you said all that.
10-12-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:

WOW..

I never thought of it that way.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Quote:

WOW..

I never thought of it that way.
10-13-2006, 06:28 AM

I think Maynard wears a cowboy hat because it's fucking hot outside and the sun is bright. I also think maynard is one of the people he talks about in Vicarious because of his gun fetish. Guns are violent and they make you feel powerful.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:28 AM   #11
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 567

I think Maynard wears a cowboy hat because it's fucking hot outside and the sun is bright. I also think maynard is one of the people he talks about in Vicarious because of his gun fetish. Guns are violent and they make you feel powerful.
10-13-2006, 09:36 AM

:head explodes:

wow, i'm not saying you butchered it, but... just because he has the song in the first person... it DOES NOT automatically mean that maynard is speaking of himself. that's far from the truth. he's singing as us. we are saying everything in "vicarious". WE need to watch things die. oh, and how relevant! the boston globe had some asshole on the sports page talking that ny yankee plane accident bullshit as if it were 9/11 allllllllllllll over again! are you kidding me?! fuckin' ridiculous and even more scarey to see people react this way. this is where we're heading?! fuckin', no thanks! not me...

i mean, i know you're thinking ...i can smell the shit burning. but maynard isn't one of us. he thinks our obsession with violence, death, and pain is an illussion we need to wake up from (hence the alarm clocks in vicarious).

WAKE UP, HUMANS!!! < the point of vicarious.

(if you don't believe this, you're wrong. period.)

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 10-13-2006 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: crossing i's and dotting t's
Old 10-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #12
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

:head explodes:

wow, i'm not saying you butchered it, but... just because he has the song in the first person... it DOES NOT automatically mean that maynard is speaking of himself. that's far from the truth. he's singing as us. we are saying everything in "vicarious". WE need to watch things die. oh, and how relevant! the boston globe had some asshole on the sports page talking that ny yankee plane accident bullshit as if it were 9/11 allllllllllllll over again! are you kidding me?! fuckin' ridiculous and even more scarey to see people react this way. this is where we're heading?! fuckin', no thanks! not me...

i mean, i know you're thinking ...i can smell the shit burning. but maynard isn't one of us. he thinks our obsession with violence, death, and pain is an illussion we need to wake up from (hence the alarm clocks in vicarious).

WAKE UP, HUMANS!!! < the point of vicarious.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 10-13-2006 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: crossing i's and dotting t's
SRF's Avatar SRF
10-13-2006, 11:16 AM

Yeah it is foolish to think that Maynard is expressing his views just because the song is in first person. If you ever read books, poetry, or even other tool lyrics and take a moment to reflect you will see that it is the authors clever way to make a point. Its kinda like the people that think that Stephen Colbert is actually a conservative christian. You gotta be able to read between the lines a little bit. And although Im not gonna give my interpretation on the song like some of you have chose to do, I feel like I am obligated to call out !AMtheMA! for being so opinionated with the whole (if you don't believe this, you're wrong. period.) thing. Whether your interpretation is correct or not, its not your place to say that. Maynard never discusses the meaning of his lyrics, why? Because by breaking down the song you are changing what was once a piece of art into a definition. All good artist leave their work up to interpretation because even if someone has the wrong idea about it there is no harm as long as they are influenced in a positive way.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #13
SRF
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 50

Yeah it is foolish to think that Maynard is expressing his views just because the song is in first person. If you ever read books, poetry, or even other tool lyrics and take a moment to reflect you will see that it is the authors clever way to make a point. Its kinda like the people that think that Stephen Colbert is actually a conservative christian. You gotta be able to read between the lines a little bit. And although Im not gonna give my interpretation on the song like some of you have chose to do, I feel like I am obligated to call out !AMtheMA! for being so opinionated with the whole (if you don't believe this, you're wrong. period.) thing. Whether your interpretation is correct or not, its not your place to say that. Maynard never discusses the meaning of his lyrics, why? Because by breaking down the song you are changing what was once a piece of art into a definition. All good artist leave their work up to interpretation because even if someone has the wrong idea about it there is no harm as long as they are influenced in a positive way.
10-13-2006, 11:31 AM

That the clock in Vicarious stands for an alarm to wake up is a theory. A theory is not correct, just because it all seems to fit. There are more of them. Don't forget this.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

That the clock in Vicarious stands for an alarm to wake up is a theory. A theory is not correct, just because it all seems to fit. There are more of them. Don't forget this.
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
10-14-2006, 12:01 AM

(meh) well, let's just see the other side and follow it...
take it all with us if you must, but i'm sure this'll get us closer.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:01 AM   #15
Level 10 - Vehement

(meh) well, let's just see the other side and follow it...
take it all with us if you must, but i'm sure this'll get us closer.
10-14-2006, 01:40 AM

You are one crazy dude.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:40 AM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

You are one crazy dude.
10-14-2006, 09:13 PM

e-dude, i can't get away with this shit in real life...

:\
Old 10-14-2006, 09:13 PM   #17
Level 10 - Vehement

e-dude, i can't get away with this shit in real life...

:\
10-15-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:

I was actually kinda thinking he was dressing like Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver. He mentioned that movie in some interviews this year. And the Mohawk and glasses seem to match. IMHO
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH
Old 10-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #18
Formerly Tool Aenema11

Bincount™: 362

Quote:

I was actually kinda thinking he was dressing like Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver. He mentioned that movie in some interviews this year. And the Mohawk and glasses seem to match. IMHO
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH
paraflux
10-17-2006, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
You're wrong about that
Old 10-17-2006, 08:24 AM   #19
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
You're wrong about that
10-17-2006, 09:53 AM

way to add something. again. (...pair't'flex)

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 10-17-2006 at 09:57 AM..
Old 10-17-2006, 09:53 AM   #20
Level 10 - Vehement

way to add something. again. (...pair't'flex)

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 10-17-2006 at 09:57 AM..
discount
10-18-2006, 08:28 AM

I think some people are reading far too deep into this song, I don't think theres any hidden meaning within the lyrics of Vicarious.

it's pretty straight forward social commentary, the lyrics aren't ambiguous unlike a lot of other tool songs.

I don't think he is playing any sort of character, he's simply making the point that we as humans feed on tragedy, and the fact a lot of people won't admit they enjoy watching / hearing about / talking about tragedy.

Who didn't turn on the TV and sit there like a Zombie for hours during 9/11 ..
Old 10-18-2006, 08:28 AM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

I think some people are reading far too deep into this song, I don't think theres any hidden meaning within the lyrics of Vicarious.

it's pretty straight forward social commentary, the lyrics aren't ambiguous unlike a lot of other tool songs.

I don't think he is playing any sort of character, he's simply making the point that we as humans feed on tragedy, and the fact a lot of people won't admit they enjoy watching / hearing about / talking about tragedy.

base metal's Avatar base metal
10-24-2006, 02:44 PM

Exactly! You've got it discount, I don't know why people want to argue about this, it's very simple.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:44 PM   #22
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

Exactly! You've got it discount, I don't know why people want to argue about this, it's very simple.
10-24-2006, 06:23 PM

you're in the wrong place if you don't want to get to the bottom of something. are they occult? yeah, kinda. will they let us know about the dep stuff? prolly not (even tho dc has said he would on his page sometime). so, "let's go digging" - or else we'll never know. we're hardly over-doing it... if anything, we're slacking.

(imho)
Old 10-24-2006, 06:23 PM   #23
Level 10 - Vehement

you're in the wrong place if you don't want to get to the bottom of something. are they occult? yeah, kinda. will they let us know about the dep stuff? prolly not (even tho dc has said he would on his page sometime). so, "let's go digging" - or else we'll never know. we're hardly over-doing it... if anything, we're slacking.

(imho)
10-25-2006, 03:21 AM

Occult knowledge is only a ladder to absolute knowledge. Once absolute knowledge is reached, there's no need for the occult knowledge. I don't think Tool want to openly discuss occult philosophy because there are a lot of Tool fans, thus a lot of really stupid ones, and they will take it all at face value. I think the occult philosophies have helped them a lot in the way Taoism and Quantum Physics helped me, and I don't think Tool want to see the most meaningful discoveries in their in lives become well known, mistinterpreted, and preached by that same idiotic following because, quite frankly, I think they're emberassed already.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:21 AM   #24
On Probation

Bincount™: 35

Occult knowledge is only a ladder to absolute knowledge. Once absolute knowledge is reached, there's no need for the occult knowledge. I don't think Tool want to openly discuss occult philosophy because there are a lot of Tool fans, thus a lot of really stupid ones, and they will take it all at face value. I think the occult philosophies have helped them a lot in the way Taoism and Quantum Physics helped me, and I don't think Tool want to see the most meaningful discoveries in their in lives become well known, mistinterpreted, and preached by that same idiotic following because, quite frankly, I think they're emberassed already.
10-25-2006, 07:44 AM

dead on. ^
Old 10-25-2006, 07:44 AM   #25
Level 10 - Vehement

dead on. ^
10-27-2006, 08:05 PM

I still say Travis Bickle
-DXH
Old 10-27-2006, 08:05 PM   #26
Formerly Tool Aenema11

Bincount™: 362

I still say Travis Bickle
-DXH
AlcheMilla
10-28-2006, 08:27 AM

I believe he is talking about himself. Through yourself you know others. It would seem strange to me if he had all these very insightful things to say about the human nature if he didnt have any of our flaws. There are things about ourselves we loathe, but its still there. Maybe Maynard just is strong enough to stand up against it.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #27
On Probation

Bincount™: 36

I believe he is talking about himself. Through yourself you know others. It would seem strange to me if he had all these very insightful things to say about the human nature if he didnt have any of our flaws. There are things about ourselves we loathe, but its still there. Maybe Maynard just is strong enough to stand up against it.
lagimatt's Avatar lagimatt
10-30-2006, 05:36 AM

He took a stand on EVERY LITTLE THING and was SOO loud....
Old 10-30-2006, 05:36 AM   #28

Bincount™: 17

He took a stand on EVERY LITTLE THING and was SOO loud....
10-30-2006, 05:19 PM

I believe its about all humans, even maynard, his biology is the same as mine and all others. You can't deny that primal feeling when National Geographic is on and you see a few lions tearing eachother apart. You can't take your eyes away, its freakin' amazing. Seeing two males at either end of the female pulling muscle and skin off of her still-living frame, not making a noice because one of the male's has a tight grip on the female's throat. I don't know about you but my jaw was on the floor. Gawking at car addicents, most everyone does it. Its just what its our human nature, our curiousity.

But many people in today's society think they aren't like that, the holy rollers, mister high and mighty. But they are, everyone is. And who cares, 'Much better you than I.'

We wouldn't have been given eyes if we weren't supposed to witness things.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:19 PM   #29
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1725

I believe its about all humans, even maynard, his biology is the same as mine and all others. You can't deny that primal feeling when National Geographic is on and you see a few lions tearing eachother apart. You can't take your eyes away, its freakin' amazing. Seeing two males at either end of the female pulling muscle and skin off of her still-living frame, not making a noice because one of the male's has a tight grip on the female's throat. I don't know about you but my jaw was on the floor. Gawking at car addicents, most everyone does it. Its just what its our human nature, our curiousity.

But many people in today's society think they aren't like that, the holy rollers, mister high and mighty. But they are, everyone is. And who cares, 'Much better you than I.'

AlcheMilla
10-31-2006, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Shaggy View Post
I believe its about all humans, even maynard, his biology is the same as mine and all others. You can't deny that primal feeling when National Geographic is on and you see a few lions tearing eachother apart. .....

...But many people in today's society think they aren't like that, the holy rollers, mister high and mighty. But they are, everyone is. And who cares, 'Much better you than I.'

I agree ... it's there..it's just a question of how u deal with it.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:55 AM   #30
On Probation

Bincount™: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Shaggy View Post
I believe its about all humans, even maynard, his biology is the same as mine and all others. You can't deny that primal feeling when National Geographic is on and you see a few lions tearing eachother apart. .....

...But many people in today's society think they aren't like that, the holy rollers, mister high and mighty. But they are, everyone is. And who cares, 'Much better you than I.'

I agree ... it's there..it's just a question of how u deal with it.
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
10-31-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow_szzmiles_queen View Post

LOL, huked on fonix werkt 4 her
Old 10-31-2006, 10:22 AM   #31
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow_szzmiles_queen View Post

LOL, huked on fonix werkt 4 her
10-31-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discount View Post

I totally agree. And I think the alarm sound is meant as just that. Time to fucking wake up people, get off your ass, away from the Tv..and GO DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE WITH YOUR LIVES!!
Old 10-31-2006, 10:27 AM   #32
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by discount View Post

I totally agree. And I think the alarm sound is meant as just that. Time to fucking wake up people, get off your ass, away from the Tv..and GO DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE WITH YOUR LIVES!!
10-31-2006, 10:49 AM

Amen.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:49 AM   #33
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 2840

Amen.
11-02-2006, 10:18 AM

This is an awesome song, and perhaps my favorite Tool song. I use it for working out, running to, and just listening when I feel like writing something. It never ceases to fail to help aid my creativity. Tool is the best when it comes to inspiration.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #34
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 2840

This is an awesome song, and perhaps my favorite Tool song. I use it for working out, running to, and just listening when I feel like writing something. It never ceases to fail to help aid my creativity. Tool is the best when it comes to inspiration.
11-02-2006, 10:20 AM

maynard is lame
Old 11-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #35
lacks satan

Bincount™: 5222

maynard is lame
_colin_
11-02-2006, 05:52 PM

i dont think he puts himself in this catagory bevcause of his answer to this question

Prof: I have on my office door the lyrics to Stinkfist because I
think it is a very telling statement about what I have called
the "Age of Immdediacy". That is, we want
input/information/pleasure, etc., and we want it quicker,
bigger, faster. Do you think North Americans have finally
been reached in some way by the events of Sept 11? Has the
fist finally been shoved up deep enough to wake us up to
and make us realize that we are not watching a movie any
more?

M: Yes, I would say the people who have been touched most
are the families of the victems. But i'm not sure about the
guys in Iowa, Montana or Arizona who get their information
filtered through CNN. Because to them, information is coming
in... thick with propaganda... all these media guys have hard-
ons because of this war. They can sell more papers,
magizines, keep us glued to the TV longer.

interprit it as you please but i think that he is saying dont be glued to the tv dont just get your news from cnn he goes on later in the interview to say turn off your tv and get out and talk to people so my opinion is that he is not putting himself in that group

Full interview here
http://toolshed.down.net/articles/in...-Ontarion.html
Old 11-02-2006, 05:52 PM   #36
Level 2 - Poster

i dont think he puts himself in this catagory bevcause of his answer to this question

Prof: I have on my office door the lyrics to Stinkfist because I
think it is a very telling statement about what I have called
the "Age of Immdediacy". That is, we want
input/information/pleasure, etc., and we want it quicker,
bigger, faster. Do you think North Americans have finally
been reached in some way by the events of Sept 11? Has the
fist finally been shoved up deep enough to wake us up to
and make us realize that we are not watching a movie any
more?

M: Yes, I would say the people who have been touched most
are the families of the victems. But i'm not sure about the
guys in Iowa, Montana or Arizona who get their information
filtered through CNN. Because to them, information is coming
in... thick with propaganda... all these media guys have hard-
ons because of this war. They can sell more papers,
magizines, keep us glued to the TV longer.

interprit it as you please but i think that he is saying dont be glued to the tv dont just get your news from cnn he goes on later in the interview to say turn off your tv and get out and talk to people so my opinion is that he is not putting himself in that group

Full interview here
http://toolshed.down.net/articles/in...-Ontarion.html

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply