Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
rachmiel4's Avatar rachmiel4
05-10-2006, 12:44 PM

I noticed that Vicarious and Right in Two seem to be related in the respect that they're addressing human nature from two different perspectives. Vicarious is individualistic and /shameless/ about human nature, while Right in Two is /ashamed/ of that nature and seems to be more wholistic, altruistic, objective. Well, I'm wondering if Jambi and Intension are another pair. I know they seem like an unlikely couple, but listen to the lyrics and take note of how each of them seems to be a personal hymn of sorts, a prayer, and that each one of them is dealing with the issues of corruption and selfishness, and longing for purity, simplicity, integrity, and for the phase in one's development when these evils are not present.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 43
Jambi and Intension?

I noticed that Vicarious and Right in Two seem to be related in the respect that they're addressing human nature from two different perspectives. Vicarious is individualistic and /shameless/ about human nature, while Right in Two is /ashamed/ of that nature and seems to be more wholistic, altruistic, objective. Well, I'm wondering if Jambi and Intension are another pair. I know they seem like an unlikely couple, but listen to the lyrics and take note of how each of them seems to be a personal hymn of sorts, a prayer, and that each one of them is dealing with the issues of corruption and selfishness, and longing for purity, simplicity, integrity, and for the phase in one's development when these evils are not present.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
05-10-2006, 01:01 PM

Also, 10,000 days and Rosetta Stoned are another pair. The tones are completely different, but each one is about religious faith/or in Rosetta's case, a religious experience, and paralysis or helplessness that afflicts the faithful, holding him/her back from divine fulfillment or appreciating the beauty of what they know.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: Jambi and Intension?

Also, 10,000 days and Rosetta Stoned are another pair. The tones are completely different, but each one is about religious faith/or in Rosetta's case, a religious experience, and paralysis or helplessness that afflicts the faithful, holding him/her back from divine fulfillment or appreciating the beauty of what they know.
05-10-2006, 01:08 PM

10,000 days and Rosetta each have their intro tracks, but I honestly think Lost Keys was just kind of slapped together as an afterthought / or at least with less artistic craftsmanship / mainly for the sake of symmetry. The Pot and Lipan are the only remaining tracks, which suggests they're a pair--my only guesses so far are, since part of The Pot's subject is the USA, Native Americans are kind of like a haunting ghost or a reflection from the USA's past. Also, it sounds like whoever is doing this dance "must have been high."

Besides these, we're left only with Viginti Tres, which means 23 (the significance being that it's one of a pair), and that seems to be consistent with the concept of all of these pairings.

Last edited by rachmiel4; 05-10-2006 at 01:11 PM..
Old 05-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

10,000 days and Rosetta each have their intro tracks, but I honestly think Lost Keys was just kind of slapped together as an afterthought / or at least with less artistic craftsmanship / mainly for the sake of symmetry. The Pot and Lipan are the only remaining tracks, which suggests they're a pair--my only guesses so far are, since part of The Pot's subject is the USA, Native Americans are kind of like a haunting ghost or a reflection from the USA's past. Also, it sounds like whoever is doing this dance "must have been high."

Besides these, we're left only with Viginti Tres, which means 23 (the significance being that it's one of a pair), and that seems to be consistent with the concept of all of these pairings.

Last edited by rachmiel4; 05-10-2006 at 01:11 PM..
AMF
05-10-2006, 01:49 PM

Very cool\m/ As I have made clear, I am big on the duality/balance theory relating to not only this album but with Tool as a whole. I think that's the message they want to get across. Their occupation with aliens (well, extraterestrials), hypocrisy, lack of inspiration, vitality, division, unity, balance, religion, almost every song of theirs can be seen as one half of a uniting counterpart. Anything in excess leads us farther from our humanity and cause sus to be monsters. Equilibrium, balance, unity, cohesiveness. One day I think I'm gonna take some time and make a big organized post relating to this theory on a grand scale.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

Very cool\m/ As I have made clear, I am big on the duality/balance theory relating to not only this album but with Tool as a whole. I think that's the message they want to get across. Their occupation with aliens (well, extraterestrials), hypocrisy, lack of inspiration, vitality, division, unity, balance, religion, almost every song of theirs can be seen as one half of a uniting counterpart. Anything in excess leads us farther from our humanity and cause sus to be monsters. Equilibrium, balance, unity, cohesiveness. One day I think I'm gonna take some time and make a big organized post relating to this theory on a grand scale.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply