Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
stinkfirst
05-10-2006, 08:10 AM

Ridiculous...

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/times...t/14542895.htm

Tool stalls with ‘Days’
Cool album art was the first thing that came to mind at the store when I saw this CD, and now, one word comes to mind when I think of Tool’s “10,000 Days” is mediocre.

It’s been five years since Tool’s “Aenima,” and I can sure wait another five for the next one.

I have never been a rabid Tool fan, nor have I ever watched any of their DVDs, or care to try and decipher their cryptic words, or care how “heavy” they are.

I do, however, think their outrageous time changes and virtuosic musicianship is certainly something to brag about.

But this CD is a shift to a new direction towards a more melodic sound which continues to build without ever reaching a musical climax.

The exception to that is the title track “10,000 Days (Wings PT2),” which is almost like Tool’s version of “Stairway To Heaven.”

(It’s a song about vocalist Maynard James Keenan’s mother, who died 27 years ago, or 10,000 days ago.)

With each track on the CD being an average of 7 minutes, listening to it sometimes feels like 10,000 days.

Bottom line is the CD sounds like a bar band doing a sub par Tool covers.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:10 AM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
From the 'No Clue' Department

Ridiculous...

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/times...t/14542895.htm

Tool stalls with ‘Days’
Cool album art was the first thing that came to mind at the store when I saw this CD, and now, one word comes to mind when I think of Tool’s “10,000 Days” is mediocre.

It’s been five years since Tool’s “Aenima,” and I can sure wait another five for the next one.

I have never been a rabid Tool fan, nor have I ever watched any of their DVDs, or care to try and decipher their cryptic words, or care how “heavy” they are.

I do, however, think their outrageous time changes and virtuosic musicianship is certainly something to brag about.

But this CD is a shift to a new direction towards a more melodic sound which continues to build without ever reaching a musical climax.

The exception to that is the title track “10,000 Days (Wings PT2),” which is almost like Tool’s version of “Stairway To Heaven.”

(It’s a song about vocalist Maynard James Keenan’s mother, who died 27 years ago, or 10,000 days ago.)

With each track on the CD being an average of 7 minutes, listening to it sometimes feels like 10,000 days.

Bottom line is the CD sounds like a bar band doing a sub par Tool covers.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Haidar's Avatar Haidar
05-10-2006, 08:12 AM

It's funny that you're from alabama. :)
Old 05-10-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5
Re: From the 'No Clue' Department

xPOGOx's Avatar xPOGOx
05-10-2006, 08:12 AM

Has it really only been 5 years since Aenima?

If that's the case...the 2.5 years between Aenima and Lateralus, and the 2.5 years between Lateralus and 10,000 Days were awfully damn long.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
I'd rather listen to Hanson.

Bincount™: 4

Has it really only been 5 years since Aenima?

If that's the case...the 2.5 years between Aenima and Lateralus, and the 2.5 years between Lateralus and 10,000 Days were awfully damn long.
stinkfirst
05-10-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haidar
Weird - that's the same thing Chris_Brightwell said...
Old 05-10-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haidar
Weird - that's the same thing Chris_Brightwell said...
guitarpete987
05-10-2006, 08:22 AM

He just lost all credibility with the second sentence. And it seems like he compiled his "review" from snippets he gathered elsewhere.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

He just lost all credibility with the second sentence. And it seems like he compiled his "review" from snippets he gathered elsewhere.
xPOGOx's Avatar xPOGOx
05-10-2006, 08:25 AM

Was this in a Newspaper and you're just linking us to the online edition, or is this article for the online edition only?

edit: nvm, PA paper, you're from Bama.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:25 AM   #6

Was this in a Newspaper and you're just linking us to the online edition, or is this article for the online edition only?

edit: nvm, PA paper, you're from Bama.
jimmyjammer
05-10-2006, 08:40 AM

What do you expect from a college drop-out who listens to FallOutBoy?

http://www.myspace.com/jeremyromani
Old 05-10-2006, 08:40 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

xPOGOx's Avatar xPOGOx
05-10-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjammer

Thank you.

Abuse shall commence.

The guys profile pic is warrant enough to harass him...
Old 05-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjammer

Thank you.

Abuse shall commence.

The guys profile pic is warrant enough to harass him...
Snakedragon
05-10-2006, 08:58 AM

even though it doesnt it doesnt sound a bit like STH.

he's just a complete asshole who probably listens to 'radio friendly punkemoshit'

edit,

i was right, this is what he listens to

The Glory. Panic At The Disco. The Drama Club. Electric Candy Shop. Teenage Girls. Linkin Park. New Found Glory. Kitty Kat Dirt Nap. Taking Back Sunday. Day At The Fair.

Last edited by Snakedragon; 05-10-2006 at 09:00 AM..
Old 05-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #9
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

he's just a complete asshole who probably listens to 'radio friendly punkemoshit'

edit,

i was right, this is what he listens to

The Glory. Panic At The Disco. The Drama Club. Electric Candy Shop. Teenage Girls. Linkin Park. New Found Glory. Kitty Kat Dirt Nap. Taking Back Sunday. Day At The Fair.

Last edited by Snakedragon; 05-10-2006 at 09:00 AM..
deuceman's Avatar deuceman
05-10-2006, 09:02 AM

Fuckin' pencil neck geek. Check out his link from above (I can't be assed copying it).

I am almost depressed that there are actual human beings such as this loser. If this guy was a Tool fan, I wouldn't be.

Forget the Ganja Police. This guy's an OXY GEN THIEF!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367

Fuckin' pencil neck geek. Check out his link from above (I can't be assed copying it).

I am almost depressed that there are actual human beings such as this loser. If this guy was a Tool fan, I wouldn't be.

Forget the Ganja Police. This guy's an OXY GEN THIEF!
deuceman's Avatar deuceman
05-10-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedragon
Dude, I know how you feel. I was so outraged after reading this cocksucker's review I stuttered as well
Old 05-10-2006, 09:04 AM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedragon
Dude, I know how you feel. I was so outraged after reading this cocksucker's review I stuttered as well
xPOGOx's Avatar xPOGOx
05-10-2006, 09:08 AM

The fucking worst part about his "review," is that it reads as if he lifted 90% of it from these forums. Everything in that review has been said in these forums, except no one ever said Aenima was released 5 years ago.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:08 AM   #12

The fucking worst part about his "review," is that it reads as if he lifted 90% of it from these forums. Everything in that review has been said in these forums, except no one ever said Aenima was released 5 years ago.
xPOGOx's Avatar xPOGOx
05-10-2006, 09:12 AM

Hey guys...his AIM screen name is "jerbear7281"
Old 05-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #13

Hey guys...his AIM screen name is "jerbear7281"
guitarpete987
05-10-2006, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPOGOx
Dat's what I said... no clue indeed
Old 05-10-2006, 09:15 AM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPOGOx
Dat's what I said... no clue indeed
kether4602's Avatar kether4602
05-10-2006, 09:20 AM

Aenima was released 5 years ago? MJK's mom passed 27 years ago? Fallout boy is teh shit?? LOL.....i cant believe this kid....
Old 05-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #15

Bincount™: 12

Aenima was released 5 years ago? MJK's mom passed 27 years ago? Fallout boy is teh shit?? LOL.....i cant believe this kid....
CelestialRender
05-10-2006, 09:52 AM

I was going to email the newspaper suggesting that they fire him since he sucks so goddamn much at it, but then it occurred to me that they have a shitty editor too. I'm not thinking telling them about it would help much.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:52 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I was going to email the newspaper suggesting that they fire him since he sucks so goddamn much at it, but then it occurred to me that they have a shitty editor too. I'm not thinking telling them about it would help much.
05-10-2006, 11:22 AM

Dear readers,

Thank your for reading The Weekender, and thank you for bringing to our attention some factual errors in this week's review of the new Tool album.. Though our music reviewers are free to say what they feel regarding the quality of a CD, they are required to get the facts right about band and its history. I have forwarded your e-mails on to the writer, and I have told him this is not acceptable. We will be running a correction in next week's issue.

Thank you,

Alan K. Stout
Editor
The Weekender
Old 05-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

EDITOR'S RESPONSE

Dear readers,

Thank your for reading The Weekender, and thank you for bringing to our attention some factual errors in this week's review of the new Tool album.. Though our music reviewers are free to say what they feel regarding the quality of a CD, they are required to get the facts right about band and its history. I have forwarded your e-mails on to the writer, and I have told him this is not acceptable. We will be running a correction in next week's issue.

Thank you,

Alan K. Stout
Editor
The Weekender
Black Rabbit's Avatar Black Rabbit
05-10-2006, 11:34 AM

Arrgghh, I went to his webpage and Milli Vanilli started playing.. I had to get the fuck out!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #18

Bincount™: 3
Re: EDITOR'S RESPONSE

Arrgghh, I went to his webpage and Milli Vanilli started playing.. I had to get the fuck out!
xPOGOx's Avatar xPOGOx
05-10-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkfirst
Dear readers,

Thank you,

Alan K. Stout
Editor
The Weekender
In your letter to the editor, did you also accuse the writer of lifting all of his ideas straight from this forum? Everything that's in that review was also written somewhere on these forums. Some of it may be stuff that everyone who did a little research would get (10,000 Days = 27 years), but some of it ("this generations Stairway to Heaven") seems somewhat random...until you realize that there's a popular thread going on in these forums that make that connection.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Dear readers,

Thank you,

Alan K. Stout
Editor
The Weekender
In your letter to the editor, did you also accuse the writer of lifting all of his ideas straight from this forum? Everything that's in that review was also written somewhere on these forums. Some of it may be stuff that everyone who did a little research would get (10,000 Days = 27 years), but some of it ("this generations Stairway to Heaven") seems somewhat random...until you realize that there's a popular thread going on in these forums that make that connection.
omnitronic's Avatar omnitronic
05-10-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Dear readers,

Thank you,

Alan K. Stout
Editor
The Weekender
Ha ha ha! Fire his emo ass!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:35 AM   #20
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 362

Quote:
Dear readers,

Thank you,

Alan K. Stout
Editor
The Weekender
Ha ha ha! Fire his emo ass!
05-10-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Wow, you love Tool. I'm sorry you are mad about whatever is in the paper.

-jeremy

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: May 10, 2006 10:36 AM

Here's to hoping this didn't get deleted before being opened.

Please read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethic

Yea, I read your dipshitty little review in NEPA's fucking little "Timesleader.com" and whatever corresponding print paper that may or may not tie to. And guess what, lots of other people did to, and it's not because someone came across it, thought it was good, and spread the word.

It's because you completely lifted that entire article.

Here's an idea: you play bass guitar with your band, and continue to have a very limited taste in music, and leave the journalism work to real journalists.

Every idea in your review was lifted straight from the TDN forums at toolnavy.com. Well, except the idea that 1996 was five years ago. Here's an idea: if you're going to review a band's new cd and talk about past cds, and tell us when they came out, at least make a half-arsed effort to visit the band's website (toolband.com) and visit the discography page and check your fucking facts.

Here's to hoping you pulled that dick out of your mouth and actually read all of this.
MySpace, etc.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Wow, you love Tool. I'm sorry you are mad about whatever is in the paper.

-jeremy

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: May 10, 2006 10:36 AM

Here's to hoping this didn't get deleted before being opened.

Please read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethic

Yea, I read your dipshitty little review in NEPA's fucking little "Timesleader.com" and whatever corresponding print paper that may or may not tie to. And guess what, lots of other people did to, and it's not because someone came across it, thought it was good, and spread the word.

It's because you completely lifted that entire article.

Here's an idea: you play bass guitar with your band, and continue to have a very limited taste in music, and leave the journalism work to real journalists.

Every idea in your review was lifted straight from the TDN forums at toolnavy.com. Well, except the idea that 1996 was five years ago. Here's an idea: if you're going to review a band's new cd and talk about past cds, and tell us when they came out, at least make a half-arsed effort to visit the band's website (toolband.com) and visit the discography page and check your fucking facts.

Here's to hoping you pulled that dick out of your mouth and actually read all of this.
MySpace, etc.
Teratoma's Avatar Teratoma
05-10-2006, 11:36 AM

flat out pwnd by the editor.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #22

Bincount™: 5

flat out pwnd by the editor.
kamikaze87
05-10-2006, 11:55 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I FUCKING HATE EMO children.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I FUCKING HATE EMO children.
trip0r
05-10-2006, 12:01 PM

so what if he got some facts wrong.. Does that mean his critique of the album is invalid? That tool album reviews can only come from a die heard tool fan? Ive noticed that every bad review has been picked apart and marginalized by this board. Unless the review says "The greatest fucking record ever!".. the guy is full of shit? I enjoy Tool's music as much as the next guy, but I personally feel this album fell short (as did a lot of reviewers.. and I'm sure a lot of the bandwagoners do too but cant admit to themsleves that tool made a mediocre album) but that doesnt make me any less a fan of the band. And it certainly doesnt mean I "don't get it"..

Doesnt do anything for me.. Plain and simple.. And no "deeper understandning" or "different perspective" is gonna change that.

Looking forward to Tool's next release.

Last edited by trip0r; 05-10-2006 at 12:04 PM..
Old 05-10-2006, 12:01 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

so what if he got some facts wrong.. Does that mean his critique of the album is invalid? That tool album reviews can only come from a die heard tool fan? Ive noticed that every bad review has been picked apart and marginalized by this board. Unless the review says "The greatest fucking record ever!".. the guy is full of shit? I enjoy Tool's music as much as the next guy, but I personally feel this album fell short (as did a lot of reviewers.. and I'm sure a lot of the bandwagoners do too but cant admit to themsleves that tool made a mediocre album) but that doesnt make me any less a fan of the band. And it certainly doesnt mean I "don't get it"..

Doesnt do anything for me.. Plain and simple.. And no "deeper understandning" or "different perspective" is gonna change that.

Last edited by trip0r; 05-10-2006 at 12:04 PM..
xPOGOx's Avatar xPOGOx
05-10-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip0r

I'm not going to criticize a review for the reviewer's opinion.
I AM going to criticize a review for the reviewer's lack of journalistic integrity, and in this review, that's more than just the getting the facts wrong. Even if he didn't lift any of his ideas from any where and coincidentally came up with a lot of the same comparisons that have been made here, this particular review is extremely lacking.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:07 PM   #25

Quote:

I'm not going to criticize a review for the reviewer's opinion.
I AM going to criticize a review for the reviewer's lack of journalistic integrity, and in this review, that's more than just the getting the facts wrong. Even if he didn't lift any of his ideas from any where and coincidentally came up with a lot of the same comparisons that have been made here, this particular review is extremely lacking.
kamikaze87
05-10-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Yes, but could you imagine a judge, let's say perhaps Simon Cowell try to critique Maynard and his singing abilities. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Two totally different genres of music. It'd be like a Metal reviewer doing a story on classical music?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:

Yes, but could you imagine a judge, let's say perhaps Simon Cowell try to critique Maynard and his singing abilities. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Two totally different genres of music. It'd be like a Metal reviewer doing a story on classical music?
omnitronic's Avatar omnitronic
05-10-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:

His opinion is fine. But if he is going to publish it in a paper as well as inform readers about that which he is opining...he has to get his facts right. That is his job.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #27
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 362

Quote:

His opinion is fine. But if he is going to publish it in a paper as well as inform readers about that which he is opining...he has to get his facts right. That is his job.
05-10-2006, 01:06 PM

At least learn about Tool before you write a review about them....you can have your opinion, but you can't state false facts. Research and try again...
Old 05-10-2006, 01:06 PM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

At least learn about Tool before you write a review about them....you can have your opinion, but you can't state false facts. Research and try again...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply