Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
new dimension_disposition's Avatar new dimension_disposition
05-09-2006, 11:49 AM

Relatively speaking 10,000 days is a good CD. However, given their abilities, Tool presents us with a sub-par performance. If you don’t believe this go back and listen to Laterus. Every song, with the exception of disposition, has a great introduction, a better body, and a kick ass conclusion (excuse the essay analogy). I am not a musician or a music critic by any means, but I do know what great music is to my amateur ears (Undertow, Anemia, and Laterus).

TaTa till the next CD.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Final Judgment

Relatively speaking 10,000 days is a good CD. However, given their abilities, Tool presents us with a sub-par performance. If you don’t believe this go back and listen to Laterus. Every song, with the exception of disposition, has a great introduction, a better body, and a kick ass conclusion (excuse the essay analogy). I am not a musician or a music critic by any means, but I do know what great music is to my amateur ears (Undertow, Anemia, and Laterus).

TaTa till the next CD.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
05-09-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new dimension_disposition

TaTa till the next CD.
Rosetta Stoned > entire lateralus album
Old 05-09-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641
Re: Final Judgment

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.
05-09-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.

STFU
Old 05-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.

STFU
Bloody's Avatar Bloody
05-09-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volrath
in bizarro world.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

Quote:
in bizarro world.
xPOGOx's Avatar xPOGOx
05-09-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.
I'm glad that you've already made your final judgment only 1 week after the official release.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
I'd rather listen to Hanson.

Bincount™: 4

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.
I'm glad that you've already made your final judgment only 1 week after the official release.
pork chops's Avatar pork chops
05-09-2006, 11:54 AM

i woudl have to disagree with this. IMO 10k days is far superior to lateralus. i really never got into lateralus as much as some did.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
Banned.

Bincount™: 10891

i woudl have to disagree with this. IMO 10k days is far superior to lateralus. i really never got into lateralus as much as some did.
Cid's Avatar Cid
05-09-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.

LATERALUS

i agree that lateralus is a much better album, but 10,000 days is by no means "sub-par". if anything, lateralus is just too good and most likely won't be topped. aenima too.
10/23/07 OiNK Never Forget
Old 05-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
Cid
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 190

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.

LATERALUS

i agree that lateralus is a much better album, but 10,000 days is by no means "sub-par". if anything, lateralus is just too good and most likely won't be topped. aenima too.
10/23/07 OiNK Never Forget
EolianVision
05-09-2006, 11:55 AM

Final Judgment.... anyone who thinks they need to make a final judgment or has that power/ability/knowledge shouldn't be paid attention to.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Final Judgment.... anyone who thinks they need to make a final judgment or has that power/ability/knowledge shouldn't be paid attention to.
Bloody's Avatar Bloody
05-09-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid
if anything, lateralus and aenima are just too good and most likely won't be topped.
exactly.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid
if anything, lateralus and aenima are just too good and most likely won't be topped.
exactly.
xPOGOx's Avatar xPOGOx

A "sub-par" in Tool terms is "Eagle" (or at least "Birdie") as far as the rest of the music world is concerned.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #10

A "sub-par" in Tool terms is "Eagle" (or at least "Birdie") as far as the rest of the music world is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EolianVision

that doesn't make sense.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #11
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EolianVision

that doesn't make sense.
lucydog's Avatar lucydog
05-09-2006, 11:59 AM

i personaly think Lateralus is boring. It is my least favorite of all the Tool albums. In fact, i didnt even LIKE it until about 3 years later, when i listened to it on acid. 10,000 days caught me as fast as Aenima did - immediatly. it just keeps getting better and better. a friend of mine, who 5 years ago said "i hate the new Tool" when i told him i picked up lateralus asked me for a burn of 10,000 days when he heard it the other night. I love how people who cant even pick up an instrument sit around thinking they know everything about music.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #12
crashed my spaceship (tdn $upporter)
Suicide Booth ID: 10

Bincount™: 10062

i personaly think Lateralus is boring. It is my least favorite of all the Tool albums. In fact, i didnt even LIKE it until about 3 years later, when i listened to it on acid. 10,000 days caught me as fast as Aenima did - immediatly. it just keeps getting better and better. a friend of mine, who 5 years ago said "i hate the new Tool" when i told him i picked up lateralus asked me for a burn of 10,000 days when he heard it the other night. I love how people who cant even pick up an instrument sit around thinking they know everything about music.
05-09-2006, 12:01 PM

i also love how people who think they can play an instrument act like they are beyond the average human.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

i also love how people who think they can play an instrument act like they are beyond the average human.
05-09-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydog420

i agree with you right up to the last line. people can form opinions on music and how it makes them feel without knowing how to play anything. i also don't think that people need to now how to play music in order to determine what they like or dislike. i can't play a lick of music but i know what i like.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #14
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydog420

i agree with you right up to the last line. people can form opinions on music and how it makes them feel without knowing how to play anything. i also don't think that people need to now how to play music in order to determine what they like or dislike. i can't play a lick of music but i know what i like.
omnitronic's Avatar omnitronic
05-09-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.
Another person that just can't let go of Lateralus. Yawn.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #15
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 362

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.
Another person that just can't let go of Lateralus. Yawn.
05-09-2006, 12:24 PM

who put out a album named Laterus?
Old 05-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #16
dorkus maximus
(the t.d.n crybaby)

Bincount™: 832

lucydog's Avatar lucydog
05-09-2006, 12:35 PM

As for what you like and dont like: Yes. that is entirely up to you. you dont have to be a musician to appreciate music, or know that you like/dislike something.

what i was talking about is all the people who say "tool are the greatest musicians ever, they could do this in one take. its clearly b-sides. this album took 5 minutes to make. they are just fucking around" when they have no idea what goes into making music. Just because YOU dont care for it, doenst mean they didnt put a lot of effort into the writing, recording and production of the cd. there is a lot of technical stuff going on, and complex time signatures that probly are going right over a lot of peoples heads. (mine included)
Old 05-09-2006, 12:35 PM   #17
crashed my spaceship (tdn $upporter)
Suicide Booth ID: 10

Bincount™: 10062

As for what you like and dont like: Yes. that is entirely up to you. you dont have to be a musician to appreciate music, or know that you like/dislike something.

what i was talking about is all the people who say "tool are the greatest musicians ever, they could do this in one take. its clearly b-sides. this album took 5 minutes to make. they are just fucking around" when they have no idea what goes into making music. Just because YOU dont care for it, doenst mean they didnt put a lot of effort into the writing, recording and production of the cd. there is a lot of technical stuff going on, and complex time signatures that probly are going right over a lot of peoples heads. (mine included)
05-09-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.
exactly. this cd is good, i listen to it. but compared to the other albums, it's lacking.

DUH YOU CAN'T LET GOOOOOOOOO OF LATERALUS.

No, I just realize that Lateralus and Aenima are better albums than this album.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:37 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.
exactly. this cd is good, i listen to it. but compared to the other albums, it's lacking.

DUH YOU CAN'T LET GOOOOOOOOO OF LATERALUS.

No, I just realize that Lateralus and Aenima are better albums than this album.
05-09-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Blame Hoffman/Rosetta Stoned > entire lateralus album
fixed...

but HELL YEAH
Old 05-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #19

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Blame Hoffman/Rosetta Stoned > entire lateralus album
fixed...

but HELL YEAH
vedrimir
05-09-2006, 02:44 PM

I like these quick thinking guys. I for one only listened to the first 4 songs so far(heard 10000days for the first time last night) and am getting gradually into it. So far, it is AS IMPRESSIVE as anything from the past, with lyrics to be comprehended yet.

I think all those "disappointed" fans are confusing slight saturation with Tool's music with repetitiveness or lack of creativity which 10000 days surely is NOT (judging from first four songs). Moreover, if you were to dig through Tool's catalogue backwards im sure youd start making the same complaints about either Aenima or Undertow.

IMO, Tool is not about "experimenting" and coming up with "new" stuff. They defined their sound long ago and they can only give us more of the same, that being the most one rock band possibly can. Just my thought.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:44 PM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

I like these quick thinking guys. I for one only listened to the first 4 songs so far(heard 10000days for the first time last night) and am getting gradually into it. So far, it is AS IMPRESSIVE as anything from the past, with lyrics to be comprehended yet.

I think all those "disappointed" fans are confusing slight saturation with Tool's music with repetitiveness or lack of creativity which 10000 days surely is NOT (judging from first four songs). Moreover, if you were to dig through Tool's catalogue backwards im sure youd start making the same complaints about either Aenima or Undertow.

IMO, Tool is not about "experimenting" and coming up with "new" stuff. They defined their sound long ago and they can only give us more of the same, that being the most one rock band possibly can. Just my thought.
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
05-09-2006, 02:47 PM

viginti tres > Lateralus album
Old 05-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

viginti tres > Lateralus album
05-09-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.
Which of your two brain cells is telling you this? The left or right?

From a musical standpoint Lateralus has alot to offer, 10K days is more personal. Some will never understand it, better you than I.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #22
On Probation

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.
Which of your two brain cells is telling you this? The left or right?

From a musical standpoint Lateralus has alot to offer, 10K days is more personal. Some will never understand it, better you than I.
Wretched's Avatar Wretched
05-09-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickshady
Not to be a dick or anything, but for the love of god, use proper grammar/spelling when ripping on someone elses.

'a' becomes 'an' when the next word is a vowel or a vowel sound.

By the way, this is not a means of ripping your grammar, just helpful advice.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #23
Banned.

Bincount™: 3710

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickshady
Not to be a dick or anything, but for the love of god, use proper grammar/spelling when ripping on someone elses.

'a' becomes 'an' when the next word is a vowel or a vowel sound.

By the way, this is not a means of ripping your grammar, just helpful advice.
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
05-09-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I am not a musician or a music critic by any means, but I do know what great music is (Undertow, Anemia, and Laterus).

TaTa till the next CD.
mmmkay there forest, first off if you're such an expert on great music and especially tool, you'd think you'd at least know how to spell the albums you think are so much better than 10,000 days.

Well let me help you with that Mr. Gump, it's Lateralus and Ænima and I really don't know how you can pronounce final judgement on an album that's been out for a little over a week! And a subpar performance?? As with any Tool album, it takes a lot more than just a few spins to really realize the full depth of the music, lyrics and the way the songs are sung which always compliments the music and gives more meaning to the songs and the experience of the album as a whole.

I really think you should give it a bit more of a chance and listen to it for what it is, not for what you wanted it to be, which is another Lateralus or Ænima.

Last edited by SunBurN; 05-10-2006 at 08:05 AM..
Old 05-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #24

Quote:
I am not a musician or a music critic by any means, but I do know what great music is (Undertow, Anemia, and Laterus).

TaTa till the next CD.
mmmkay there forest, first off if you're such an expert on great music and especially tool, you'd think you'd at least know how to spell the albums you think are so much better than 10,000 days.

Well let me help you with that Mr. Gump, it's Lateralus and Ænima and I really don't know how you can pronounce final judgement on an album that's been out for a little over a week! And a subpar performance?? As with any Tool album, it takes a lot more than just a few spins to really realize the full depth of the music, lyrics and the way the songs are sung which always compliments the music and gives more meaning to the songs and the experience of the album as a whole.

I really think you should give it a bit more of a chance and listen to it for what it is, not for what you wanted it to be, which is another Lateralus or Ænima.

Last edited by SunBurN; 05-10-2006 at 08:05 AM..
Scrunzset's Avatar Scrunzset
05-09-2006, 09:00 PM

Ummmm.....

did he just insult Disposition? =\
Old 05-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Ummmm.....

05-09-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Yep.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #26
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 3996

Quote:
Yep.
05-09-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrunzset
Ummmm.....

Where's the hazing stick?

Opinion: 10,000 Days is a much better listen than Lateralus thus far. I appreciate Lateralus for what it is, but its most definately not Tool's greatest or most superior album by any means and judging 10kDays by Lateralus is probably the most 'sub-par' idea I've heard in 5 years.
end.

Last edited by Deoxy_Anomaly; 05-09-2006 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: I cannot seem to fucking spell correctly tonight!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:08 PM   #27

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrunzset
Ummmm.....

Where's the hazing stick?

Opinion: 10,000 Days is a much better listen than Lateralus thus far. I appreciate Lateralus for what it is, but its most definately not Tool's greatest or most superior album by any means and judging 10kDays by Lateralus is probably the most 'sub-par' idea I've heard in 5 years.
end.

Last edited by Deoxy_Anomaly; 05-09-2006 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: I cannot seem to fucking spell correctly tonight!
Alistair_Carson's Avatar Alistair_Carson
05-09-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Yes. Agreed.

People need to quit saying "Ænima was better" or "Lateralus beats this any day". Because frankly, those were two flawless albums. When people consider them untoppable and irreplaceable, they are just that. So quit complaing about how "this doesn't beat Ænima" because we've already established that. How exactly do you out-do something that's perfect?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

Quote:
Yes. Agreed.

People need to quit saying "Ænima was better" or "Lateralus beats this any day". Because frankly, those were two flawless albums. When people consider them untoppable and irreplaceable, they are just that. So quit complaing about how "this doesn't beat Ænima" because we've already established that. How exactly do you out-do something that's perfect?
Myramyd
05-09-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody
in bizarro world.

Thanks--glad to hear someone else say the same thing I said.

This album should be renamed "10,000 Days in Bizarro World"

Hearing people claim this is better than Lateralus leads me to think Bizarro World has manifested itself in our dimension. Perhaps Maynard used the vortex in Sedona to bring it into existence? Although this is getting so comical now, that it's more like Bizarro Sealab.

Bizarro Murphy tells you to like it--BIZARRO!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:17 PM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
in bizarro world.

Thanks--glad to hear someone else say the same thing I said.

This album should be renamed "10,000 Days in Bizarro World"

Hearing people claim this is better than Lateralus leads me to think Bizarro World has manifested itself in our dimension. Perhaps Maynard used the vortex in Sedona to bring it into existence? Although this is getting so comical now, that it's more like Bizarro Sealab.

Bizarro Murphy tells you to like it--BIZARRO!!!!!!
05-09-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid
LATERALUS

yes... thank you, honestly how can you top those two releases? serioulsy how could they... thats why i had no expectations of the sound of 10,000 days... that being said, i am totally in awe of the new album
Old 05-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid
LATERALUS

yes... thank you, honestly how can you top those two releases? serioulsy how could they... thats why i had no expectations of the sound of 10,000 days... that being said, i am totally in awe of the new album
05-09-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I can play an instrument (though I don't actively play, I used to).
I also feel that I am beyond the average human.

These are unrelated however. The second statement has more to do with what I sadly consider an "average" human.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:24 PM   #31

Quote:
I can play an instrument (though I don't actively play, I used to).
I also feel that I am beyond the average human.

These are unrelated however. The second statement has more to do with what I sadly consider an "average" human.
von satan's Avatar von satan
05-09-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.

you really are a loser aren't you. go on admit it !! then GTFO

For starters AEnima > Lateralus

10K Days > AEnima,

give it more time before you judge, cos as you said you have only AMATEUR ears (it took me a few listens and a few fat joints before i really appreciated this masterpiece for what it IS not what i was hoping it would be)

I have played guitar since '93, and been an avid TooL fan since i first heard Undertow which was around the same time from memory, early '93 ?? TooL is easily the most progressive, intricate, detailed rock band in the world today, easily. 2nd ??? dunno tttooooo far behind to worry about.

nathan

You must have been OUT YO MIND !!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

TaTa till the next CD.

you really are a loser aren't you. go on admit it !! then GTFO

For starters AEnima > Lateralus

10K Days > AEnima,

give it more time before you judge, cos as you said you have only AMATEUR ears (it took me a few listens and a few fat joints before i really appreciated this masterpiece for what it IS not what i was hoping it would be)

I have played guitar since '93, and been an avid TooL fan since i first heard Undertow which was around the same time from memory, early '93 ?? TooL is easily the most progressive, intricate, detailed rock band in the world today, easily. 2nd ??? dunno tttooooo far behind to worry about.

nathan

You must have been OUT YO MIND !!!!!!!!!
livingdecay's Avatar livingdecay
05-09-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggroculture
STFU
Yeah, remind me to never speak to you.

I attempt to avoid people who judge others without just cause.

EDIT: Basically the post directly above my own.

Last edited by livingdecay; 05-09-2006 at 09:31 PM..
Old 05-09-2006, 09:27 PM   #33

Bincount™: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggroculture
STFU
Yeah, remind me to never speak to you.

I attempt to avoid people who judge others without just cause.

EDIT: Basically the post directly above my own.

Last edited by livingdecay; 05-09-2006 at 09:31 PM..
HiPp_1's Avatar HiPp_1
05-09-2006, 10:26 PM

My opinion, Aenima > 10kdays (not that it is relavent to anything), So far I like the new album, in fact I like it more and more every time I listen to it. To me however, Aenima just absolutely floored me and I dont think I will ever hear another album that will be that good from anyone, inlcuding TOOL.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #34

Bincount™: 9

My opinion, Aenima > 10kdays (not that it is relavent to anything), So far I like the new album, in fact I like it more and more every time I listen to it. To me however, Aenima just absolutely floored me and I dont think I will ever hear another album that will be that good from anyone, inlcuding TOOL.
HiPp_1's Avatar HiPp_1
05-09-2006, 10:28 PM

By the way xPOGOx,

How in the hell do you have so many posts already?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #35

Bincount™: 9

By the way xPOGOx,

How in the hell do you have so many posts already?
Master Of Puppets
05-09-2006, 10:35 PM

What is it with Tool albums and people not being able to spell them? it makes the fans look so dumb.

"Enema is way better then 10 Bajillion Days!"
"No!! Walrus is their best album!!!"
Old 05-09-2006, 10:35 PM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

What is it with Tool albums and people not being able to spell them? it makes the fans look so dumb.

"Enema is way better then 10 Bajillion Days!"
"No!! Walrus is their best album!!!"
Bloody's Avatar Bloody
05-09-2006, 10:36 PM

hay!!! wut about lateralabus and opium?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #37
Level 8 - Vociferous

hay!!! wut about lateralabus and opium?
CCD's Avatar CCD
05-09-2006, 10:46 PM

undertoe

EDIT: better.....ændertoe
Let us now, as Futurists, enter one of these hospitals for anaemic sounds. There: the first bar brings the boredom of familiarity to your ear and anticipates the boredom of the bar to follow. Let us relish, from bar to bar, two or three varieties of genuine boredom, waiting all the while for the extraordinary sensation that never comes.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #38
CCD
If nothing is everything I've got it all (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 5332

undertoe

EDIT: better.....ændertoe
Let us now, as Futurists, enter one of these hospitals for anaemic sounds. There: the first bar brings the boredom of familiarity to your ear and anticipates the boredom of the bar to follow. Let us relish, from bar to bar, two or three varieties of genuine boredom, waiting all the while for the extraordinary sensation that never comes.
CCD's Avatar CCD
05-09-2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
Æ
Æ back æthca buddy
Old 05-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #39
CCD
If nothing is everything I've got it all (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 5332

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
Æ
Æ back æthca buddy
evil agent's Avatar evil agent
05-10-2006, 08:05 AM

It's been said before, but I'll say it again:

The guy can't even spell LATERALUS and AENIMA! Case closed.

(What a STUPID thread.. and that's MY final judgment).
Old 05-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

It's been said before, but I'll say it again:

The guy can't even spell LATERALUS and AENIMA! Case closed.

(What a STUPID thread.. and that's MY final judgment).

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply