Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Kjac18's Avatar Kjac18
05-08-2006, 09:36 PM

This is just my opinion, Its come to my attention that only musicians are the only ones really loving 10,000 days, not you everyday listen to tool once or twice on the radio while at work people, its a great album i love every bit of it, i mean its hard for me to sit and watch any movie dealing with dancing or horses but i can sit and watch Pink Floyd : The Wall over and over again. again only my opinion so don't flame!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:36 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
musicians

This is just my opinion, Its come to my attention that only musicians are the only ones really loving 10,000 days, not you everyday listen to tool once or twice on the radio while at work people, its a great album i love every bit of it, i mean its hard for me to sit and watch any movie dealing with dancing or horses but i can sit and watch Pink Floyd : The Wall over and over again. again only my opinion so don't flame!
05-08-2006, 09:47 PM

I'm a hack guitarist, and i'm not fond of 10kd. A couple of close friends who are professional muso's aren't impressed either, but we're still highly fond of previous albums. Your opinion holds, but i disagree. *shrug*

Last edited by fault; 05-08-2006 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: grammar and stuff
Old 05-08-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18
Re: musicians

I'm a hack guitarist, and i'm not fond of 10kd. A couple of close friends who are professional muso's aren't impressed either, but we're still highly fond of previous albums. Your opinion holds, but i disagree. *shrug*

Last edited by fault; 05-08-2006 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: grammar and stuff
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
AguirreWrathOfTool
05-08-2006, 09:51 PM

I fancy myself a musician and I love 10,000 Days...my vote is cast
Old 05-08-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I fancy myself a musician and I love 10,000 Days...my vote is cast
Alcawhorlick's Avatar Alcawhorlick
05-08-2006, 09:54 PM

I own a guitar, a few picks, and a shit amp
I like the album for what it is, it's just short. Oh and I dont like WFM/10Kdays much.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 17

I own a guitar, a few picks, and a shit amp
I like the album for what it is, it's just short. Oh and I dont like WFM/10Kdays much.
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-08-2006, 10:13 PM

I am a musician. The album is lacking.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:13 PM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
psims23
05-08-2006, 10:17 PM

Man Ob you post a lot ;) 1000 posts in one month, Jesus on iceskates...

Anyways, I've been playin drums for bout 8 years.. been playin tabla for 2... guitar for about a year and working on singing... LIKE (dont love) the album.... nothing spectacular as far as Tool goes... Aenima was their peak imo, but still.. not dissapointed perse
Old 05-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

Anyways, I've been playin drums for bout 8 years.. been playin tabla for 2... guitar for about a year and working on singing... LIKE (dont love) the album.... nothing spectacular as far as Tool goes... Aenima was their peak imo, but still.. not dissapointed perse
mulhollanddriven
05-08-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjac18

I have been saying this for awhile now and I totally agree. I think the musicianship is mindblowing and if you have a deep understanding of music and you play an instrument there is really no way not to be blown away by the craftsmanship of the album and the feeling put into it. It is a really astonishing album. I agree...
Old 05-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:

I have been saying this for awhile now and I totally agree. I think the musicianship is mindblowing and if you have a deep understanding of music and you play an instrument there is really no way not to be blown away by the craftsmanship of the album and the feeling put into it. It is a really astonishing album. I agree...
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-08-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulhollanddriven
Sure, the craftmanship is good, and technically its impressive. But so is DragonForce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psims23

more than that if you count binned threads ;)

edit: check my join date. Its actually been significantly less than a full month.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.

Last edited by Oberon; 05-08-2006 at 10:21 PM..
Old 05-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulhollanddriven
Sure, the craftmanship is good, and technically its impressive. But so is DragonForce.

Quote:

more than that if you count binned threads ;)

edit: check my join date. Its actually been significantly less than a full month.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.

Last edited by Oberon; 05-08-2006 at 10:21 PM..
KJM
05-08-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
Old 05-08-2006, 10:21 PM   #9
KJM
MJK impostor, 2002

Bincount™: 48

Quote:
05-08-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
Your binned threads don't count as they do for me. True bin threads are started in the bin.
Oh, yes, i know. thats why i said "binned" threads rather than "bin" threads. I was referring to the tons of posts i have made in threads that have since been moved to the bin, or deleted (the wordsmith rap battle thread etc)

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #10
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
Your binned threads don't count as they do for me. True bin threads are started in the bin.
Oh, yes, i know. thats why i said "binned" threads rather than "bin" threads. I was referring to the tons of posts i have made in threads that have since been moved to the bin, or deleted (the wordsmith rap battle thread etc)

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
AguirreWrathOfTool
05-08-2006, 10:24 PM

Oberon...where do you go? Berklee? NEC?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

martyr_02's Avatar martyr_02
05-08-2006, 10:24 PM

I would say the musicality (even a word?) of 10,000 Days is the best tool has ever done. As far as expression emotion fluently throughout the entire album..... meh. I got related way more to previous albums, particularily Aenema, than to this one. Wings/10,000 Days is the obly real song where there is real emotion showing. I do relate to little individual lyrics here and there though.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #12
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 7297

I would say the musicality (even a word?) of 10,000 Days is the best tool has ever done. As far as expression emotion fluently throughout the entire album..... meh. I got related way more to previous albums, particularily Aenema, than to this one. Wings/10,000 Days is the obly real song where there is real emotion showing. I do relate to little individual lyrics here and there though.
05-08-2006, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguirreWrathOfTool
Berklee. Those NEC and BoCo kids are jokes. ;)

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:25 PM   #13
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Berklee. Those NEC and BoCo kids are jokes. ;)

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
AguirreWrathOfTool
05-08-2006, 10:26 PM

heh...what do you do there?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Liam's Avatar Liam
05-08-2006, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Total Posts: 1,002 (55.92 posts per day)
Thats heroic! Do you have a job?

p.s. I really fucking like most of the album. the rest, I just like.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #15
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1600

Quote:

Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-08-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam

I do NOT have a job. i'm a student, and a bit of a slacker. I'm gonna fail some classes this semester <=/

Quote:

I play electric bass, and i'm an undeclared degree student, planning on going into music Ed.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyr_02
I would say the musicality (even a word?)
Musicality is indeed a word.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.

Last edited by Oberon; 05-08-2006 at 10:34 PM..
Old 05-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #16
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

I do NOT have a job. i'm a student, and a bit of a slacker. I'm gonna fail some classes this semester <=/

Quote:

I play electric bass, and i'm an undeclared degree student, planning on going into music Ed.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyr_02
I would say the musicality (even a word?)
Musicality is indeed a word.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.

Last edited by Oberon; 05-08-2006 at 10:34 PM..
bitter_enigma's Avatar bitter_enigma
05-08-2006, 10:33 PM

Guitarist here.
I don't really listen to Tool for guitar *playing*.
It's more about the sound and feel he's creating.
It's more an aesthetic thing with them.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:33 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 23

Guitarist here.
I don't really listen to Tool for guitar *playing*.
It's more about the sound and feel he's creating.
It's more an aesthetic thing with them.
Aggroculture's Avatar Aggroculture
05-08-2006, 10:36 PM

If musicians are the only ones that can truly appreciate 10,000 Days are writers the only ones who can truly appreciate Maynard's lyrics?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:36 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

If musicians are the only ones that can truly appreciate 10,000 Days are writers the only ones who can truly appreciate Maynard's lyrics?
guitarpete987
05-08-2006, 10:37 PM

I am a guitarist/bassist who has been playing jazz and rock for several years. I disagree that only musicians like the album. I know plenty of non-musicians who dig it.

I am thoroughly impressed by the album, and I have a rather large circle of musician friends who are all impressed at different levels. None of them are 'disappointed'.

While I can't say it's Tool's most impressive, the music found within is incredibly well written and performed, and I think to expect them to change the world with every album is unrealistic. What we get here is an incredibly polished group of songs, which may or may not have a common theme, that once again showcase each of the band members' skills. There is VERY little to fault about the music. Some of it is simply not to some people's tastes. But each of the songs, from a purely objective point of view of simple craftsmanship and technical performance, is excellent, so just because on person or another or even a group of people don't find it enjoyable doesn't mean it's not quality.

It's biggest problem, surprisingly, is the production. Musically, it's fantastic.

In my eyes, Tool has simultaneously become more prog and more simple. I didn't know that was even possible. And it's wonderful to behold.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:37 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

I am a guitarist/bassist who has been playing jazz and rock for several years. I disagree that only musicians like the album. I know plenty of non-musicians who dig it.

I am thoroughly impressed by the album, and I have a rather large circle of musician friends who are all impressed at different levels. None of them are 'disappointed'.

While I can't say it's Tool's most impressive, the music found within is incredibly well written and performed, and I think to expect them to change the world with every album is unrealistic. What we get here is an incredibly polished group of songs, which may or may not have a common theme, that once again showcase each of the band members' skills. There is VERY little to fault about the music. Some of it is simply not to some people's tastes. But each of the songs, from a purely objective point of view of simple craftsmanship and technical performance, is excellent, so just because on person or another or even a group of people don't find it enjoyable doesn't mean it's not quality.

It's biggest problem, surprisingly, is the production. Musically, it's fantastic.

In my eyes, Tool has simultaneously become more prog and more simple. I didn't know that was even possible. And it's wonderful to behold.
Myramyd
05-08-2006, 10:44 PM

I'm a musician--in a Tool cover band. Long time guitarist, just picked up bass to play for this band.

This album doesn't even come close to the previous two albums in terms of complexity, feel, and structure. It's pretty much non-existent unless you count Vicarious.

I'm used to being somewhat challenged by Justin's bass playing and I could pretty much play along with this album the first time--didn't need TAB. It ranks right there with Undertow as far as simplicity.

Which is another reason this album is a regression--not a progression.

Justin has always written excellent bass lines and this album is a bag of simple tricks. They were messing around on this one, not writing. Just four boys jammin' without much going on.

Sad...
Old 05-08-2006, 10:44 PM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'm a musician--in a Tool cover band. Long time guitarist, just picked up bass to play for this band.

This album doesn't even come close to the previous two albums in terms of complexity, feel, and structure. It's pretty much non-existent unless you count Vicarious.

I'm used to being somewhat challenged by Justin's bass playing and I could pretty much play along with this album the first time--didn't need TAB. It ranks right there with Undertow as far as simplicity.

Justin has always written excellent bass lines and this album is a bag of simple tricks. They were messing around on this one, not writing. Just four boys jammin' without much going on.

Sad...
05-08-2006, 10:45 PM

Like aenima and Lateralus this album is well written atmospheric music that blends well with moody soundscapes to create a real work of art. I see a laid back theme for the most part that expands on what lateralus did with songs like disposition and reflection. With beautiful melodies and trance like rhythms. But there are also a couple songs that have a similar sound to that of aenima. dense and complex hard rock with diverse and odd stylings. But yet I also see this album as being completely different than both albums. They have redefined themselves. this album is their most vulnerable album to date. they're more straightforward. they're naked on this album. It is a triumphant return for a great band and I am far from disappointed. I will NOT blindly follow tool no matter how much I have liked their previous work but if they keep releasing music this good I'm not jumping off of the bandwagon.

Tool has gone down every road throughout their career and still manages to sound fresh on every album and sound like...well, tool.

And, no I am not a musician.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:45 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

Like aenima and Lateralus this album is well written atmospheric music that blends well with moody soundscapes to create a real work of art. I see a laid back theme for the most part that expands on what lateralus did with songs like disposition and reflection. With beautiful melodies and trance like rhythms. But there are also a couple songs that have a similar sound to that of aenima. dense and complex hard rock with diverse and odd stylings. But yet I also see this album as being completely different than both albums. They have redefined themselves. this album is their most vulnerable album to date. they're more straightforward. they're naked on this album. It is a triumphant return for a great band and I am far from disappointed. I will NOT blindly follow tool no matter how much I have liked their previous work but if they keep releasing music this good I'm not jumping off of the bandwagon.

Tool has gone down every road throughout their career and still manages to sound fresh on every album and sound like...well, tool.

And, no I am not a musician.
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-08-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myramyd

Sad...

As for bass being easy...

Right in two.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:46 PM   #22
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

Sad...

Right in two.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Tunguska
05-08-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
In what way?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:53 PM   #23

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
In what way?
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-08-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunguska
In what way?

Song writing. aside from vicarious, the song forms are lazy.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #24
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
In what way?

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Myramyd
05-08-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:

Right in two.

I know--my bandmates were telling me how impressive the bass was on "The Pot".

Once you get past the rhythm, it's pretty much nothing. The rest of the song is a repeat of damn near every Paul D'Amour riff from Undertow, as is the rest of the album.

SO happy I am...
Old 05-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #25
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Right in two.

Once you get past the rhythm, it's pretty much nothing. The rest of the song is a repeat of damn near every Paul D'Amour riff from Undertow, as is the rest of the album.

SO happy I am...
05-08-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Man Oberon, if it wasn't for you I would probably give up hope altogether.

:)
Old 05-08-2006, 10:58 PM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Man Oberon, if it wasn't for you I would probably give up hope altogether.

:)
05-08-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Sad...
Its not about complexity!
Its the ideas that matters!!!
Try to come upp with anything this good yourself instead of copying.

(My Spelling Is Fucked up so...)
Old 05-08-2006, 10:59 PM   #27

Quote:

Sad...

Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-08-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:

SO happy I am...

dude, that tremolo thing, and the high pitched waahhoooo thing in Right in Two...

Bass.

he is quite the whammy master.

The riffs aren't that amazingly difficult, but they're well placed.

Not that i love the album overall anyway.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #28
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

SO happy I am...

dude, that tremolo thing, and the high pitched waahhoooo thing in Right in Two...

Bass.

he is quite the whammy master.

The riffs aren't that amazingly difficult, but they're well placed.

Not that i love the album overall anyway.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-08-2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:

=P Try playing in a cover band before you knock it. Cover bands are ridiculously fun.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:03 PM   #29
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

=P Try playing in a cover band before you knock it. Cover bands are ridiculously fun.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Tunguska
05-08-2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Have been playing Tool songs in a band for about 6 years now.
Yes! it is alot of fun.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Have been playing Tool songs in a band for about 6 years now.
Yes! it is alot of fun.
Myramyd
05-08-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:

Well, I have. My music is quite good actually.

Cover bands are much more fun though.

I've been doing this music thing a while and I know when a band is not putting their heart and soul into the songwriting. Go on and call it a "blues album" or a more direct approach all you want. Merely justifications for laziness.

I would like to add that BLUES albums and DIRECT albums are NOTHING BUT heart and soul. This album has fun riffs with zero emotion. Don't feed me any lines about the dead mother song either.

If you want to hear some blues or directness, I'll throw out a list for you and 10,000 Days will not be on it.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:12 PM   #31
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

I've been doing this music thing a while and I know when a band is not putting their heart and soul into the songwriting. Go on and call it a "blues album" or a more direct approach all you want. Merely justifications for laziness.

I would like to add that BLUES albums and DIRECT albums are NOTHING BUT heart and soul. This album has fun riffs with zero emotion. Don't feed me any lines about the dead mother song either.

If you want to hear some blues or directness, I'll throw out a list for you and 10,000 Days will not be on it.
05-08-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I'm on my way!
Old 05-08-2006, 11:17 PM   #32
I'd rather listen to Hanson.

Quote:
I'm on my way!
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-08-2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPOGOx
I'm on my way!

OH NO YOU FUCKING DON'T.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:18 PM   #33
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
I'm on my way!

OH NO YOU FUCKING DON'T.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
resonance.'s Avatar resonance.
05-09-2006, 12:23 AM

I'm a musician and I think this is Tool's worst album by an outstanding degree
Old 05-09-2006, 12:23 AM   #34
amateur alchemist

Bincount™: 3472

I'm a musician and I think this is Tool's worst album by an outstanding degree
xPOGOx's Avatar xPOGOx
05-09-2006, 12:43 AM

Quote:
OH NO YOU FUCKING DON'T.
You you have 100,000 posts, and I have 99,300 posts, the 700ish that seperate us won't seem like that many. We're both posting at approximately the same rate per day.

By the way, Wiki: Musician.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #35
I'd rather listen to Hanson.

Quote:
OH NO YOU FUCKING DON'T.
You you have 100,000 posts, and I have 99,300 posts, the 700ish that seperate us won't seem like that many. We're both posting at approximately the same rate per day.

Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-09-2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:

You'll wear out.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:46 AM   #36
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

You'll wear out.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
05-09-2006, 12:52 AM

Quote:
I'm not a musician and I love 10,000 days. Your theory fails I'm afraid.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:52 AM   #37
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641

Quote:
I'm not a musician and I love 10,000 days. Your theory fails I'm afraid.
05-09-2006, 01:43 AM

Quote:

Who said anything about "blues album"?
Not me.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:43 AM   #38

Quote:

Not me.
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-09-2006, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Not me.

I believe it was some idiot named "Danny Carey".

whoever THAT is.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:46 AM   #39
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Not me.

I believe it was some idiot named "Danny Carey".

whoever THAT is.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
05-09-2006, 01:51 AM

Quote:
If you think that Wings has no emotion flowing through its veins, then you are mentally retarded. There I said it.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:51 AM   #40
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641

Quote:
If you think that Wings has no emotion flowing through its veins, then you are mentally retarded. There I said it.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply