Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 07. Lost Keys
User Name
Password
Dr. Jake Destructo's Avatar Dr. Jake Destructo
04-20-2006, 08:32 PM

So, if you've read Adam Jones' interview in April's GuitarWorld issue, you may remember him speaking about the different set ups he used on the album, and one thing that stuck out to me was him mentioning this microphone he created and called 'the pipe bomb microphone.' I don't remember exactly what it is, but I think it involved encasing a microphone in a metal cylinder or something. Do you think thats how Jones creates that tone and sustain in Lost Keys?

Just a thought.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Pipe Bomb mic

So, if you've read Adam Jones' interview in April's GuitarWorld issue, you may remember him speaking about the different set ups he used on the album, and one thing that stuck out to me was him mentioning this microphone he created and called 'the pipe bomb microphone.' I don't remember exactly what it is, but I think it involved encasing a microphone in a metal cylinder or something. Do you think thats how Jones creates that tone and sustain in Lost Keys?

Just a thought.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Echelon11
04-20-2006, 09:00 PM

It said in wikipedia about the article that he would put a metal pipe around a guitar pickup but that doesn't make any sense.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Pipe Bomb mic

It said in wikipedia about the article that he would put a metal pipe around a guitar pickup but that doesn't make any sense.
Dolophane's Avatar Dolophane
04-21-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon11
I don't recall the article exactly, but this could just mean that he used a microphonic guitar pickup inside a metal pipe in place of a microphone.
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
Old 04-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon11
I don't recall the article exactly, but this could just mean that he used a microphonic guitar pickup inside a metal pipe in place of a microphone.
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
sheareel's Avatar sheareel
04-21-2006, 06:10 PM

The article quoted him saying the microphone was made up of a guitar pickup mounted off center inside a short piece of brass pipe and capped on both ends.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

The article quoted him saying the microphone was made up of a guitar pickup mounted off center inside a short piece of brass pipe and capped on both ends.
Lost Keys's Avatar Lost Keys
04-24-2006, 02:04 AM

damnit! you beat me to this post. I thought of the pipe bomb mic when I heard the guitar (that and Godflesh). it definitelly sounds cylinder like. i doubt it was placed around the pick up . the mic was placed in a metal tube and probably placed infront of the amp or so.

Last edited by Lost Keys; 04-24-2006 at 02:07 AM..
Old 04-24-2006, 02:04 AM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

damnit! you beat me to this post. I thought of the pipe bomb mic when I heard the guitar (that and Godflesh). it definitelly sounds cylinder like. i doubt it was placed around the pick up . the mic was placed in a metal tube and probably placed infront of the amp or so.

Last edited by Lost Keys; 04-24-2006 at 02:07 AM..
delysid
04-26-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Keys
I think he also uses it for one solo in "Rosetta Stoned" as well.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Keys
I think he also uses it for one solo in "Rosetta Stoned" as well.
05-02-2006, 04:49 PM

I'm not thinking this song is where he uses it...doesn't sound much like how he described it. To me, that is.

.chris
Old 05-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

I'm not thinking this song is where he uses it...doesn't sound much like how he described it. To me, that is.

.chris

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply