Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Mr. Parabola
10-04-2006, 02:17 PM

I think all of the brand names, proper names, and pop culture references scattered throughout the song are really interesting:

Krispy Kremes
Birkenstocks
Chig Champa (I cannot find anything on this. Seriously, try google.)
SunKist
Sudafed
X-Files
The Matrix
Jackie Chan
Isabella Rosselini
The Greatful Dead
Peanuts
L. Ron Hubbard

When authors create characters, they often search for "illuminating details" - little pieces of information that reveal deeper traits about that character. So what do all of these references tell us about Rosetta Stoned's narrator?

Mainly, that he's very superficial.

Just look at his diet - Krispy Kremes and SunKist - which is incredibly artificial. He wears Birkenstocks, perhaps to identify himself as a member of an outsider group like "hippies." However, those groups stand for something beyond just wearing sandals.

Also, look at the way he describes his experience: "X-Files being," "blue-green Jackie Chan," "Isabella Rosselini lips, "slo-mo Matrix descent," "Peanuts parents." Through drugs, the narrator is having a spiritual experience with an alien lifeform, and the only way he can describe it is by drawing on references to pop-culture.

Which finally brings us to the Greatful Dead. Why is the narrator taking drugs? The Dead, man, the Dead. He's not doing it to have a spiritual experience. He's doing it because of some band.

As such, he is not prepared to have a spiritual experience on hallucinogens...and as a result he forgets the "message of hope" and the "warning." So, what happens after all this? Who knows? With his "L. Ron Hubbard upper lip," the narrator may misinterpret his whole experience and start his own religion. Goddamn, shit the bed.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Brand Names

I think all of the brand names, proper names, and pop culture references scattered throughout the song are really interesting:

Krispy Kremes
Birkenstocks
SunKist
Sudafed
X-Files
The Matrix
Jackie Chan
Isabella Rosselini
The Greatful Dead
Peanuts
L. Ron Hubbard

When authors create characters, they often search for "illuminating details" - little pieces of information that reveal deeper traits about that character. So what do all of these references tell us about Rosetta Stoned's narrator?

Mainly, that he's very superficial.

Just look at his diet - Krispy Kremes and SunKist - which is incredibly artificial. He wears Birkenstocks, perhaps to identify himself as a member of an outsider group like "hippies." However, those groups stand for something beyond just wearing sandals.

Also, look at the way he describes his experience: "X-Files being," "blue-green Jackie Chan," "Isabella Rosselini lips, "slo-mo Matrix descent," "Peanuts parents." Through drugs, the narrator is having a spiritual experience with an alien lifeform, and the only way he can describe it is by drawing on references to pop-culture.

Which finally brings us to the Greatful Dead. Why is the narrator taking drugs? The Dead, man, the Dead. He's not doing it to have a spiritual experience. He's doing it because of some band.

As such, he is not prepared to have a spiritual experience on hallucinogens...and as a result he forgets the "message of hope" and the "warning." So, what happens after all this? Who knows? With his "L. Ron Hubbard upper lip," the narrator may misinterpret his whole experience and start his own religion. Goddamn, shit the bed.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
slamminsalmon's Avatar slamminsalmon
10-04-2006, 02:23 PM

I likes!

well done
Old 10-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656
Re: Brand Names

I likes!

well done
StereoScopicLenses's Avatar StereoScopicLenses
10-04-2006, 02:46 PM

this is a nice fresh breathe of air to read this post. I just got done reading someone's post about "wings pt 1" being sarcastic. Dumbest thing ever. You are spot on my friend. Or atleast right on in my way of looking at it.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

this is a nice fresh breathe of air to read this post. I just got done reading someone's post about "wings pt 1" being sarcastic. Dumbest thing ever. You are spot on my friend. Or atleast right on in my way of looking at it.
10-04-2006, 04:01 PM

Glad to see my fancy pants college education is good for something.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Glad to see my fancy pants college education is good for something.
jonboy's Avatar jonboy
10-04-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Parabola View Post
Try the forum: http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=58384
Old 10-04-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Parabola View Post
Try the forum: http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=58384
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
10-19-2006, 02:55 PM

I mentioned it in another thread, but 'yogi DMT' might be another brand-name reference to Yogi Tea. Like 'Yogi d-m-tea' - or, it could just be a coincidence.

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 10-19-2006, 02:55 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

I mentioned it in another thread, but 'yogi DMT' might be another brand-name reference to Yogi Tea. Like 'Yogi d-m-tea' - or, it could just be a coincidence.

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply